PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
12-30-2011, 14:55
We're a few days late on the new thread.

I had some Founder's Dirty Bastard last night.

autiger23
12-30-2011, 22:32
New Belgium's snow day, actually pretty solid...not as good as the 2 below they replaced...miss that.

jcg9779
12-31-2011, 16:23
New Belgium's snow day, actually pretty solid...not as good as the 2 below they replaced...miss that.

I have some of the Snow Day as well...and also agree that it's pretty solid but not as good as the 2 below. Maybe one day that will be re-released!

River Runner
12-31-2011, 17:45
A couple Sierra Nevada pale ales tonight. Smutty nose variety sampler 12 pack out in the garage. Looking forward to those. And I think for bourbon later, I'll open a bottle of Eagle Rare that I bought a year ago. Never had it, so looking forward to giving it a try. :grin:

jcg9779
01-03-2012, 18:02
Some Sam Adams Winter Lager tonight...tasting much better than bourbon this evening!

dridge11
01-04-2012, 12:27
Went to Lagunitas on Sunday and had some Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Cappucino Stout (mind-blowing good) and a sour ale I'd not seen before called Ruben and the Bretts. Really nice too, but I to tend to prefer the RRBC sours.

jcg9779
01-06-2012, 10:13
A couple Sweetwater Happy Endings last night. Pretty tasty...that was the first time that I had tried this offering.

Special Reserve
01-06-2012, 10:49
This past week I pulled a Bell's Batch 9000 out of of the cellar. It is certainly improving with age.

stevegoz
01-06-2012, 11:29
I'm madly in love with the Central Waters Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/652/16062) -- just used some fantasy football runner-up money to buy a case. Reasonably priced for the style at $11.99 or so a four-pack.

clingman71
01-08-2012, 16:40
Had some Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron on tap last night, incredible. Had a bottle of Great Divide Fresh Hop while watching the Giants destroy the Falcons, one of my favorites from fall '11.

clingman71
01-08-2012, 17:12
Had some Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron on tap last night, incredible. Had a bottle of Great Divide Fresh Hop while watching the Giants destroy the Falcons, one of my favorites from fall '11.

callmeox
01-08-2012, 19:47
Full Sail Session red with hoops and football on the tele.

Oh, and a nice pour of Pappy 15 to celebrate the choke job the Schtillers and ROFLsberger pulled in Denver. :slappin:

moose
01-08-2012, 19:51
Odell's Red Ale.

I will be buying this seasonal by the case. Hands down my favorite Odell's brew, and I've tried most all of them. Its nice having them right down the street, really hope some of you guys out there can find this stuff around. Fantastic beer, great hop notes, balanced with not too sweet malt.

Beer&Bourbon
01-08-2012, 20:14
Finished off a bottle of 2011 Bourbon county from Goose Island as well as a 2009 bourbon barrel Angel's share. Both were delicious, but the BCS is still quite hot. My wife and I each picked up a case of BCS so I'll be sampling over time to see how it ages; I've loved past expressions especially with a bit of age on them.

dridge11
01-09-2012, 14:53
This past week I pulled a Bell's Batch 9000 out of of the cellar. It is certainly improving with age.

I think I still have 4-6 bottles of the Batch 10000, but I've heard from a couple folks they didn't feel it was made in an ageworthy style. I should check in on one and see.

stevegoz
01-09-2012, 15:54
Finished off a bottle of 2011 Bourbon county from Goose Island as well as a 2009 bourbon barrel Angel's share. Both were delicious, but the BCS is still quite hot. My wife and I each picked up a case of BCS so I'll be sampling over time to see how it ages; I've loved past expressions especially with a bit of age on them.

Interesting -- the consensus is generally that this is the least "hot" GI BCS fresh off the line in many years. I quite enjoyed my taste of it last month.

Also -- two cases under your roof? You've pretty much cornered the market. All of Chicagoland only got 150, and I can't imagine your area got more than 100! If you're a beer trader, you should be able to do well.

Special Reserve
01-09-2012, 17:02
I think I still have 4-6 bottles of the Batch 10000, but I've heard from a couple folks they didn't feel it was made in an ageworthy style. I should check in on one and see.

I have some 10K as well, but I didn't think that it improved any with time. I don't think it deteriorated either.

Different style but it should keep for some time.

I also have some Sparkling Ale that is >2 years old that is just wonderful if you like the Belgian Triple style. I'll have one of those while watching football tonight.

Beer&Bourbon
01-09-2012, 17:07
I've got a few 6ers of batch 9000 and 10000 that I'll have to check up on.

Interesting -- the consensus is generally that this is the least "hot" GI BCS fresh off the line in many years. I quite enjoyed my taste of it last month.

Also -- two cases under your roof? You've pretty much cornered the market. All of Chicagoland only got 150, and I can't imagine your area got more than 100! If you're a beer trader, you should be able to do well.

Least hot? I'm not sure how people would think that when it's one of the highest alcohol releases in the past few years (up to 14.5%). Being a bourbon drinker I like my beers robust with plenty of bourbon, but the alcohol is a bit too much this year, which takes over from the nice vanilla notes that are usually more present. I like it as well, but I'll let it sit a few more months before popping another bottle.

I'm a beer trader, but I've been out of the scene a bit. This is one of the bourbon barrel stouts that I can more easily grab a case of so I do when I can. The wife likes it, too so it's a good thing to keep around. Between this and Jackie O's, I haven't really been seeking out other barrel aged stouts. Now if someone emails me to get these for some Cantillons, I'll be open to some more trading...

jcg9779
01-09-2012, 17:35
Going with a Left Hand Milk Stout while watching the pregame show.

smokinjoe
01-09-2012, 17:54
Pouring over some work I need to finish up with a Dale's Pale Ale. Awaiting the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA to hurry up and get cold for the game.

stevegoz
01-09-2012, 18:13
But ABV doesn't simply equate to "heat," of course. I much prefer the 2011 young bottled that I've had compared to the 2010 on-tap that I had. (While acknowledging that the method of delivery may affect the characteristics of each.) My cellar only goes back to the 2009, and I'm giving that two more years before I begin to vertical taste.

I had the 2008 fresh and had the same reaction to the alcohol presence, but I was also much less attuned to the delights of high proofs back then. (I was still drinking my bourbon on the rocks in 2008.)

Compliments on how well the alcohol is hidden in the 2011 far outweigh complaints about heat over on Beer Advocate. But in any event you're patient enough to wait for it to mellow, and have quite the supply to enjoy in coming years!

Least hot? I'm not sure how people would think that when it's one of the highest alcohol releases in the past few years (up to 14.5%). Being a bourbon drinker I like my beers robust with plenty of bourbon, but the alcohol is a bit too much this year, which takes over from the nice vanilla notes that are usually more present. I like it as well, but I'll let it sit a few more months before popping another bottle.

Tony
01-09-2012, 20:56
Bell's Christmas alehttp://img.tapatalk.com/442b8f8c-b6f3-140d.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443728,-83.491656

bad_scientist
01-10-2012, 17:30
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I hadn't seen or even heard of it, and hey, rye! Not bad. A bit subtle in the rye department but quite delicious. Hey, why's my glass empty already?!

edit: no, it's not subtle. Pickle juice and wintergreen make themselves known after some time in the glass.

smokinjoe
01-12-2012, 16:53
Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12. :D

jcg9779
01-28-2012, 14:35
Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12. :D

I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.

smokinjoe
01-28-2012, 14:48
I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.

Ha! Great minds (nearly) think alike! I just returned from the corner store a few minutes ago. I literally was reaching for the Founder's, when I made a quick aversion and grabbed a 6 pack of Red Brick Blonde. If you report back with a good experience, I may have to make a return trip. :)

I'm now settling in with a Leffe Blonde. I have really been enjoying this beer over the last couple of weeks. I think I'm on my 3rd 6 pack in that time. Very tasty. It has many of the characteristics of my all-time fave, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. And, any of you who have been over, you know I prefer blondes...:D

Gillman
01-28-2012, 15:16
I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

Gary

jcg9779
01-28-2012, 16:04
I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

Gary

I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.

smokinjoe
01-28-2012, 16:39
I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.

We sure do. I know I see it regularly at Mink's. I posted this review a couple of years ago.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135642#post135642

jcg9779
01-28-2012, 17:02
We sure do. I know I see it regularly at Mink's. I posted this review a couple of years ago.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135642#post135642

Well I might just need to make a trip over to Mink's then. I've never seen it at the Total Wine in Alpharetta or Dunwoody, but perhaps I've just missed it.

clingman71
01-28-2012, 22:14
Had the new SN Ruthless Rye IPA, spicy, hoppy, and tasty. Followed that with a Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA, chewy hoppy goodness.

Gillman
01-29-2012, 13:00
I like that motor oil analogy. Given its comparative lightness, I'd say the Belgian-style version was more new oil fresh from the can!

It would be interesting to try the versions alongside, I believe there are three (regular, oak-aged and Belgian-style).

Gary

bad_scientist
01-29-2012, 13:11
Sixpoint Righteous Rye - a bit light, but a great beer anyway. The first rye I've had that's true to itself and didn't try to merge the rye with some other flavor.

Now for the Ruthless Rye, which of course DOES mix the rye with a strong hops presence, but it's hard to find fault with that, since it's such a fantastic beverage.

smokinjoe
01-29-2012, 14:04
Celebrating a little bit of a milestone this afternoon. My regular running schedule took a big hit in August when I developed a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. Hurt like heck. So, I really backed off my running (basically stopped) and began the tennis ball treatment. Anywho, began starting back several weeks ago, and today I finished my normal run without stopping to gag, heave, gasp, or fall over. :D It was slow, but no stopping. Yey me. So, I am rewarding myself with a Sweetwater Exodus Porter. Yummy. Truth be told, I would still be drinking this Exodus Porter had I stopped...again...to gag, heave, gasp, or fall over....but, it's the thought that counts...Drink up and celebrate the simple things! :woohoo:

ebo
01-29-2012, 16:32
Right this minute, I'm drinking a Thirsty Dog "12 Dogs of Christmas Ale".

First time I've had this. It's pretty tasty..... better than Great Lakes Christmas Ale, IMO.

stevegoz
01-29-2012, 19:01
Yeti also comes in espresso oak-aged and barrel-aged versions. (The "oak-aged" ones spend some time with oak chips, v. actual barrel aging for the rather rare barrel-aged version.)

Beer Advocate lists a few more types that I'm not familiar with -- Bretty, chocolate oak-aged and cocoa.

I like that motor oil analogy. Given its comparative lightness, I'd say the Belgian-style version was more new oil fresh from the can!

It would be interesting to try the versions alongside, I believe there are three (regular, oak-aged and Belgian-style).

Gary

ACDetroit
01-29-2012, 19:56
Couple bottles from 3 Floyds tonight. First the Gumball Head Wheat, different than any wheat I've had...lots going on in this one. Next up one of my favorites from these guys, Robert the Bruce Scotch Ale. Just amazing!

BradleyC
01-29-2012, 20:33
Beer Advocate lists a few more types that I'm not familiar with -- Bretty, chocolate oak-aged and cocoa.

Bretty Yeti is TERRIBLE! I think they accidentally infected some kegs with brett and threw it out there as "bretty yeti" instead of throwing it away. I'm a die hard Yeti fan and its the only glass that I have ever poured out. I have never had a stout with brett that I could tolerate so I'm probably not the best judge on this one.

AaronWF
02-03-2012, 10:27
I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...

bad_scientist
02-03-2012, 10:38
On Wednesday, I had:

Bell's GoldenRye Ale - bitter at first, turning to traditional dry rye as it warmed. A bit thin but pretty good.

Bell's Rye Stout - delicious, a little cloying.

Heavy Seas Below Decks Barlewine, aged in Bowman whiskey barrels (don't know which whiskey was in the barrels) - fruity, musty, definitely a niche beer. I've heard the 18 year Bowman was pretty fruity, as well. Is this a characteristic of the line?

stevegoz
02-03-2012, 14:12
Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...

AaronWF
02-03-2012, 14:42
Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!

stevegoz
02-03-2012, 15:21
Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!

I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).

hectic1
02-03-2012, 16:51

I grabbed a bottle of the Bramble Rye today too...

I also grabbed a 6 pack of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead and some 3 Floyd's Robert the Bruce! :D

bad_scientist
02-03-2012, 18:59
I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).

Last year the GI BCS sat on the shelf here in DC for months, but I haven't even seen it this year. I have some BCS from 2009 aging, so I wasn't going to get any new bottles, but still... I had no idea. Check out Ebay for what this stuff is going for!

clingman71
02-03-2012, 19:09
Way too many pints of Founders Double Trouble last night, freshly tapped keg at a local beer bar. Think tonight will be very calm, still recovering.

yountvillewjs
02-03-2012, 20:46
5 hour waits at Russian River Brew Co for Pliny the Younger. I love me some Pliny the Elder, so I'm going to brave the brewery...next week.

Clavius
02-04-2012, 00:25
Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA tonight! Love this stuff!

clingman71
02-05-2012, 14:43
Pulled out some special stashed away beers for the Super Bowl. Mikkeller 10 and 8 wired IPA while cooking jambalaya for the game. Epic (NZ) IPA, Port Mongo IPA, and Moylan's Hopsickle lined up and ready. Spicy food and hoppy beers is today's theme.

jcg9779
02-06-2012, 09:01
Went with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founder's Red Rye PA last night during the game. Both went very well with the Superbowl.

Clavius
02-07-2012, 22:33
I'm a sucker. I bought a 12-pack of Stella Artois because the packaging said I could get a free custom-engraved chalice with the code on the inside of the packaging. Don't get me wrong, I like Stella alright. But honestly I just wanted the glass to add to my collection...

Tico
02-08-2012, 22:36
5 hour waits at Russian River Brew Co for Pliny the Younger. I love me some Pliny the Elder, so I'm going to brave the brewery...next week.
I was going to make the pilgrimage this week but read the wait updates on facebook... no way!

Love me some elder, just re-stocked this evening!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/tyvoodoo/2466ea50.jpg

stevegoz
02-10-2012, 08:50
I got my hands on some Three Floyds Zombie Dust yesterday for the first time. Incredible beer! One of the best pale ales of any sort that I've ever tasted, and definitely the best session-able one. Sticky piney citrusy hops all over the place!

I hope they produce it during the summer as well, since I'm much more inclined toward malt bombs this time of year.

smokinjoe
02-10-2012, 15:45
Ended the week on a big high note, and working into the weekend with a Full Sail Session Dark Black Lager.

Gillman
02-10-2012, 15:49
Pilsner Urquell, less than eight weeks from canning. It smells and tastes like no other pils beer, sweet-oat-like-bitter, in a class of its own.

Gary

smokinjoe
02-10-2012, 16:02
Pilsner Urquell, less than eight weeks from canning. It smells and tastes like no other pils beer, sweet-oat-like-bitter, in a class of its own.

Gary

Hey, Gary. I bought a 12 pack of Urquell today. What is the formula to figure out date of brewing, again?

clingman71
02-10-2012, 20:11
*******hopslam!*******

BradleyC
02-10-2012, 20:30
Tonight is a Firestone Walker Sucaba (formerly known as Abacus). Top notch just like everything else that comes out of their barrel program.

I might finish the evening with a Sierra Bigfoot. I'm excited to see this one around again and will try to stock up more this year before it runs out.

My Dad picked me up a 6 pack of Hopslam yesterday and mailed it off to me today. I had to send him a 6 pk of Great Divide Nomad in exchange. I'm looking forward to jumping on the hype train when the hopslam arrives and see what all the noise is about.

Special Reserve
02-10-2012, 21:41
*******hopslam!*******

I'll take Double Trouble any day. I'm not a big hops fan so I was very surprising when I reached for a 4 pack of Double Trouble the other day. I guess I felt for $2.50/bottle what the hell.

clingman71
02-10-2012, 22:32
I'll take Double Trouble any day. I'm not a big hops fan so I was very surprising when I reached for a 4 pack of Double Trouble the other day. I guess I felt for $2.50/bottle what the hell.

We were drinking that last weekend. They always release about the same time. I'm more of a fan of Founders than Bells overall, but they're both very good breweries, and hopslam is killer.

Special Reserve
02-11-2012, 07:24
I agree that both Bell's and Founder's are excellent breweries. I'm particularly fond of Bell's Sparkling Ale, but in recent years they are not bottling it.

ebo
02-11-2012, 15:11
Nothing special at the moment. I had a hankering for some Molson XXX, so I bought a sixer and I'm enjoying it rather well.:cool:

T Comp
02-12-2012, 18:59
The waited for release by Founders of what they call their session ale, All Day IPA. It's 4.7% abv with first impressions of balanced citrus and mighty tasty. Will be perfect for summer but works fine now too...and leaves more room in the blood for whiskey to follow :cool: .

hectic1
02-12-2012, 20:03
Tyranena Brewery Down & Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout...yummy yummy but definitely one that needs to warm up a little bit if you're just taking it out of the fridge. I think the bottle says that 48F is optimal for serving temp! ;)

jcg9779
02-13-2012, 08:04
Had some Mama's Little Yella Pils and Sweetwater Exodus Porter this weekend. Both were very enjoyable.

clingman71
02-13-2012, 09:40
We had a major tasting Saturday night with 8 people contributing. We took our time and did a lot of comparison tastes and surprisingly didn't wreck our taste buds too early. This isn't the complete list, but it is all of the key beers.

FFF-Struisse-Mikkeller-Surley collab Baller Stout
FFF Dark Lord '11
Goose Island Bourbon County '09 & '10
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout '10
Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper
Jackie O's Cellar Cuvee #4
Oerbier Reserva
Cincinnati Beerfest Collaboration Barleywine
FFF Behemoth '11
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
Uinta Labyrinth
Avery Samael's
Founder's Imperial Stout
Founder's Devil Dancer
Anchor Old Foghorn '09

It was a great time with some good friends and incredible beers. And, about halfway through we stopped for a smallish palette cleansing pour of ORVW 10/107.

Phischy
02-14-2012, 18:14
I brewed a clone of New Belgium's Hoptober, that beer is so excellent and I'm a devoted hophead. It's the honey malt that submits just a touch of residual sweetness that's not under attenuation or excess malt. I can pound this stuff and will need to rebrew with a few minor tweaks in the next few weeks.

BradleyC
02-14-2012, 20:54
Since it's Valentine's I opened Boulevard's Valentine's beer "Chocolate Ale." I guess this thing has quite the cult following. It sold out in KC quicker than the van Winkle nonsense did and every KC native in Denver has been hounding the local shops for it. I had it last year but didn't really pay much attention.

The first thing that hits you with the nose is the unmistakable Boulevard yeast. Behind that comes chocolate (big surprise there) and caramel. Once you get past the yeast it is a quite pleasant nose. I think the bottle said 9.1%. That is a surprise to me. I don't detect it in the nose or taste. The mouthfeel is medium in body and there is an average finish. There is some bittersweet chocolate in the taste. I get a slight citrusy orange backbone. There is bitterness, but I don't think its from the hops and is attributable to the chocolate instead. It's not syrupy which I really appreciate. Too many big beers become a syrupy bottle of oatmeal that makes your lips stick to your glass. Not this one.

Altogether it's nicely done. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to get it but will buy it again next year if I see it.

yountvillewjs
02-17-2012, 13:27
Went over Tuesday morning to Russian River Brew Co, to see what all the hype over Pliny the Younger was all about (had been shut out the last 2 years). Great color & aromatics -- super clean, great lift, almost bright. If you are familiar with Pliny the Elder, it gets dark and pine needly (I've also heard it described as having a pot like characteristic) -- none of that here. You can see the family resemblance, but they are not as alike as I thought they would be. A great beer for sure - but I wouldn't wait in line for 4+ hours to get some and at 10.7% alc -- it makes itself known quick.

Beer&Bourbon
02-17-2012, 14:19
Jackie O's Cellar Cuvee #4
Cincinnati Beerfest Collaboration Barleywine

What'd you guys think of the beerfest collab? It seems like it was an American style barleywine (which I generally don't care for) so I haven't picked any up yet, but haven't heard much feedback. How'd it stand up next to fresh Behemoth? We did a Behemoth vertical recently with it back to 07 or 08. IMHO it really just dies off after a couple of years; a fine American style, but doesn't really age into anything worth trying.

Also, do you go to Jackie O's for releases? I go to most of them as long as finances are in line. I like the beers out of the bottle, but find that they usually pale in comparison to on tap. Plus the events are a lot of fun with great food, great beer, great friends. Let me know if you're headed out next time and I'll buy you a beer.

As for actual drinking, I opened a 11 Darkness last night to share with the wife. Pretty good with lots of chocolate notes and plenty of dark ripe fruits, but not up to the 2010 version (I know they change the recipe a bit each year). I've got another 11 that I'll let sit for awhile as well as 6 or so 10s (that I'm itching to pop). :grin:

bigtoys
02-19-2012, 20:47
Had Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown at Champp's in Milwaukee and really liked the nutty taste. Got a 6 pk at Binny's as it's only available in the winter months. Very little head, a little thin on the palate, but definitely nutty, maybe a little chocolate on the nose. some guys who post video reviews on youtube are pretty funny to watch. One guy, while reading the label, said you could enjoy it by the fire. That's really thinking outside the box.
Looking forward to Goose Islands nut brown coming supposedly next month.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0458.jpg

Had Lost Coast Alley Cat Amber Ale tonight. Nice color, good head, sharp taste. Love all the LC beers I've tried.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0465.jpg

c2walker
02-19-2012, 23:32
Had Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown at Champp's in Milwaukee and really liked the nutty taste. Got a 6 pk at Binny's as it's only available in the winter months. Very little head, a little thin on the palate, but definitely nutty, maybe a little chocolate on the nose. some guys who post video reviews on youtube are pretty funny to watch. One guy, while reading the label, said you could enjoy it by the fire. That's really thinking outside the box.

That Fireside Nut Brown really caught me off guard when someone handed me a bottle to try and I sipped before looking at the label. I remember almost spitting out. I thought I was getting the Sunset Wheat which tastes like fruity pebbles. The Nut Brown does certainly live up to the nuttiness promised in it's name though. I'm interested to try the Goose Island to see how it stacks up.

Bourbon Boiler
02-20-2012, 18:27
I really emjoyed the Fireside Nut Brown. Reminded me a bit of the European market Amstels.

miller542
02-21-2012, 12:38
I really emjoyed the Fireside Nut Brown. Reminded me a bit of the European market Amstels.

I can't stand the Fireside Nut Brown. The "natural flavors" don't taste very natural to me.

stevegoz
02-21-2012, 14:32
I can't stand the Fireside Nut Brown. The "natural flavors" don't taste very natural to me.

That's my beef with that brewery. Like the commercial for its Summer Shandy and its "real lemonade flavor." Mmmmmm, flavor. Can I get some extract with that? :slappin:

unclebunk
02-23-2012, 08:05
Finally came across some Whale's Tail Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers in Nantucket. It's only just made it to my local Binny's and I've been looking forward to trying it after a friend, who lives in New York, raved about it.

unclebunk
02-23-2012, 08:09

I'm afraid I didn't like it either. I bought a six pack last summer to split with a friend who was visiting from England and we both hated it right from the first sip. I love nut brown ales as a rule (Samuel Smith's NBA is a classic) but this stuff tasted like it had been heavily spiked with hazelnut extract like you get in a coffee shop. To each his own, I guess.

Beer&Bourbon
02-23-2012, 11:57
Popped open a Tyranena's Imperial Rye Porter Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels (40% was aged in rye whiskey barrels). This was included in a trade I did with someone in the WI/MN area (I think; that's where it's from anyway).

A pretty nice porter enjoyed while reading the porter chapter in "Designing Great Beers" and frying a chicken. While I enjoyed it as a porter, it was not much in the way of imperial, the rye flavor was pretty muted, and the rye whiskey was non-apparent. While I enjoyed the beer it wasn't what I was expecting (or what the label stated). Finished the night with some WT 101 Rye (I picked up 3 bottles the other day in response to the thread scare about it disappearing.)

jcg9779
02-23-2012, 13:03
Picked up a couple six packs of Bell's Hopslam yesterday...looking forward to having one tonight.

DaveOfAtl
02-23-2012, 13:10
Picked up a couple six packs of Bell's Hopslam yesterday...looking forward to having one tonight.

Quickly reaching Pappy-level hysteria. Hop City, a store near my office, announced via twitter that they had it in (1 6 pk limit) and it was gone before I could get over there 45 mins later.

jcg9779
02-23-2012, 13:29
Quickly reaching Pappy-level hysteria. Hop City, a store near my office, announced via twitter that they had it in (1 6 pk limit) and it was gone before I could get over there 45 mins later.

There is a one 6 pack limit where I bought mine too, but I flirted a bit and got the girl to quickly scan two of them.

DaveOfAtl
02-23-2012, 13:36
There is a one 6 pack limit where I bought mine too, but I flirted a bit and got the girl to quickly scan two of them. lol

Nicely done. Let me know how it is . . . not that I need something else to chase after.

Beer&Bourbon
02-24-2012, 15:45
Nicely done. Let me know how it is . . . not that I need something else to chase after.

I like Hopslam, but I'm not a huge fan. If anyone is interested some, let me know when the next release is coming up and I'll keep an eye open. I counted a dozen or so cases the last time I was at Jungle Jim's. We usually get good allocation this way and I'd be happy to hook some people up with some.

I had a long week and popped open a Palo Santo from 2009 when I got home. I'm not a huge fan of this fresh. I find it too hot and fairly unbalanced (esp. for a brown ale). I've had some with 2-5 years aging and think that's the sweet spot. Has anyone had them older than 5 years? Any decline at a certain point?

After doing the dishes for my wife, I'm about to break into an Immort Ale from 2010. This was a extra in a trade. It'll be my first Immort Ale. The label mentions maple, vanilla, and oak so I'm excited to try it.

Special Reserve
02-24-2012, 18:09
Tonight I'm enjoying a Saugatuck Brewing Co Neapolitan Milk Stout.

Ice creamy smooth head and feel of the brew the initial entry flavor sensation is vanilla the body is chocolate. A nice sipping beer, like all good beer it hold up very well adjusting to room temperature.

Here is the breweries description:

Neapolitan Milk Stout (6.4%ABV) – Neapolitan Stout is a unique blend of milk sugar, chocolate, vanilla beans, and strawberries. Available at the Brewer’s whim it is a specialty now available in 4 packs.

(a 4 pack is $10.00)

MTBottle
02-24-2012, 18:14
Looking forward to Goose Islands nut brown coming supposedly next month.

Had Lost Coast Alley Cat Amber Ale tonight. Nice color, good head, sharp taste. Love all the LC beers I've tried.

I like the look of your glass, bigtoys. Looks like a Glencairn on steroids. Can you tell me where I could get one?

Mark

ebo
02-24-2012, 19:04
Yuengling Bock. I can't say it tastes like a traditional Bock beer, but it's pretty good stuff. I like it a lot better than the standard offering we get in Ohio.

clingman71
02-24-2012, 22:04
Had a Nugget Nectar draft tonight, very fresh, very good. It seems a bit hoppier than last year's release. Picked up another two sixes of Hopslam, like the NN, I like the '12 better than the '11. Also had to help Karen finish her Stone '08 RIS on draft, age does wonders for RISs.

smokinjoe
02-25-2012, 09:57
A couple of Old Chub's last night after returning home from a snowy Chicago. I'll be danged if I can remember ever having this one before, but I really did enjoy these yesterday. I have to say, my introduction to the Oskar Blues product line is very recent, but I am finding that I have really liked everything I've tried.

T Comp
02-25-2012, 11:10
A couple of Old Chub's last night after returning home from a snowy Chicago. I'll be danged if I can remember ever having this one before, but I really did enjoy these yesterday. I have to say, my introduction to the Oskar Blues product line is very recent, but I am finding that I have really liked everything I've tried.

Impatiently waiting for Oskar Blues and Odell to hopefully get distributed in Illinois. I've become familiar with them through my annual Colorado vacation. With the explosion of so many great beer choices already there is still room for more :grin: .

Glad you made it home safely Joe and its already melting but it was a crazy morning commute...and only our third snow of the year...which for Chicago is incredible.

SDpappy
02-25-2012, 13:12
Had some Pliny the Younger yesterday along with some Alesmith stuff. The 10+% alcohol in pliny goes down so smooth but man...2 pints of that stuff is more than enough haha...

hectic1
02-25-2012, 13:26
Red Hook Nut Brown Ale while enjoying some time in the sun!

unclebunk
02-25-2012, 14:04
Whale's Tail Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers in Nantucket. Mighty nice!

bad_scientist
02-25-2012, 15:54
After doing the dishes for my wife, I'm about to break into an Immort Ale from 2010. This was a extra in a trade. It'll be my first Immort Ale. The label mentions maple, vanilla, and oak so I'm excited to try it.

Another unusual taste in the Immort Ale is smoke, which comes from peated barley. What did you think? To me, it's the messiest beer I've ever had, but it's so much fun to drink.

Gillman
02-25-2012, 18:24
Just for a change, Carlsberg Lager, we get it canned and bottled imported from Denmark in 2-3 months from packaging (draft too).

It's all-malt and a good formula. Not a worldbeater, but well made with some nice subtle tastes. I've had so many wonky craft beers that I appreciate, of occasion, a well-made, mass market import like this.

Gary

MarkEdwards
02-26-2012, 04:54
My sister in law just started drinking beer again, and I took her a care package of some of the ales I like: St Arnold dark, Westmalle tripel, Stone smoked porter, a couple of Rahr's.

She found a Thai beer that she really likes, so she gave me my care package back, and threw in bottles of Crispins cider, Thai beer and Virgil's rootbeer. I'm intgerested in trying out the Thai beer and the cider (last hard cider I've had was Woodpecker). I've already tried the Virgils, but I like it (I went on a rootbeer search a couple years ago - never did find one I liked as well as the defunct Snappple version).

All in all, Yum!

unclebunk
02-26-2012, 11:41
Good ol' Genesee Cream Ale last night. Sometimes it's good to keep it simple.

ebo
02-26-2012, 13:49
Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Not bad, not great. I really wish we could get the SA Double Bock. It hasn't been available around here for a few years, for some reason.

smokinjoe
02-26-2012, 14:24
Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Not bad, not great. I really wish we could get the SA Double Bock. It hasn't been available around here for a few years, for some reason.

I've been sitting out in the back yard with Mrssmokinjoe on a gloriously sunny 60 degree day here, sippin' on one of these Alpine Springs myself. I agree E. Not bad, not great, but enjoyable. Also, a Leffe Blonde. I continue to enjoy this beer, as well. Switching soon to bourbon in time for din-din.

Gillman
02-26-2012, 15:14
One of the local Black IPAs we see increasingly in our market. It's a style I like a lot, basically an American Pale Ale/IPA-type beer, i.e., strong on citric West Coast hops, with some black patent or other colouring or roasted agent to give it a black hue and just a touch of roast in the taste. It should not really be (IMO) a citric porter because that is a variant of porter and stout, not IPA, but if anyone makes a Black IPA that's more in the porter vein I won't tell. End of the day, if it's good it's good.

Gary

clingman71
02-26-2012, 15:50
FFF 2010 Dark Lord RIS. It mellowed over two years as I expected, but has lost some of the coffee/ roastiness, and is sweeter than I would have expected.

Beer&Bourbon
02-26-2012, 16:16
Another unusual taste in the Immort Ale is smoke, which comes from peated barley. What did you think? To me, it's the messiest beer I've ever had, but it's so much fun to drink.

Yeah. I didn't realize it had peat smoked malt in it until I took a sip; quite a surprise. It was unique, but not something I truly enjoyed. My homebrew buddy has been trying to talk me into a peat smoked beer, but I've been resisting. This didn't do him any favors, but I'll certainly let him try one of the other bottles I have sitting around.

FFF 2010 Dark Lord RIS. It mellowed over two years as I expected, but has lost some of the coffee/ roastiness, and is sweeter than I would have expected.

The wife and I cracked a 2011 DL while watching T2 with some friends last night. I enjoy the beer enough, but wish there was less of the soy sauce component. Certainly sweet and thick enough to be a long slow sipper though.

AaronWF
02-26-2012, 16:26
Today was Double Daisy Cutter Day. Though Chicago's Half Acre brewery is practically in my backyard, this was the first time I made it over to their brewery to pick up a special release. Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale with some creamy honey and grapefruit notes. The (annually?) brewed Double Daisy Cutter is more hoppy with more of a bite, but a really really mellow 8%. I picked up a growler and four 22oz bottles.

The bourbon will have to take a break for a few hours while I tend to the growler.

jcg9779
02-26-2012, 21:47
Bell's Hopslam tonight. Very good and balanced. Hoppy (obviously) but not overly so. I'm glad I picked up a couple of these!

Beer&Bourbon
02-27-2012, 08:48
Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale

I love regular Daisy Cutter and wish it was more readily available. I still contend that it's my favorite pale ale. Most of my beer drinking buddies pass it up now for Zombie Dust, which I like (but not quite as much). I picked up some Double Daisy Cutter last year. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go through the hassle of getting up there to get it.

Lazer
02-28-2012, 21:05
Kennebunkport Brewing Co. (KBC) Porter. Good stuff, $5.99/sixpack at trader joe's.

Tennessee Dave
03-02-2012, 11:17
Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.

cigarnv
03-02-2012, 11:54
Williamsburg Alewerks Washington's Porter... these flks are making some great beer and the porter is spot on. This is a classic porter not a stout wanna be or a heavy dark ale. Worth a try...

DrinkyBanjo
03-02-2012, 13:28
Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.

I've had a few Westy's, all fresh. I've liked them but not any more than other quality Quads that I've had. Really looking forward to aging some to see what develops. Right now I think my oldest bottle is approximately two years. I'm going to wait until I have one for three and then do a vertical.

smokinjoe
03-02-2012, 14:37
Good Gosh, March already...This year is moving. Wrapping up the week with a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. I had this at the Brewery in January, and was pleased to see it at my local shop this week.

Gillman
03-02-2012, 17:43
A blending of Sinha Stout (Lion Stout in some markets) and a craft stout from Ontario, Black Creek Stout.

Lion is from Sri Lanka which may sound odd, but it isn't. The brewery was set up by British capital in the 1800's to service British planters and other Britons resident in what was then Ceylon. The brewery just carried on, basically making the same 1870's-type London stout into this modern world of today.

I blended them to get what I felt was the best out of both.

Gary

Clavius
03-02-2012, 18:21
Managed to find some Dogfish Head 120-minute IPA. Bought a bottle of it and plan on trying it later tonight.

Beer&Bourbon
03-06-2012, 17:34
Sipping on a Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine. The aroma is just what I was hoping for: nice bourbon with vanilla and wood and an underlying sweetness. The flavor is not quite there yet. The bourbon comes through but there's still quite a bit of hop presence that masks a lot of the sweetness. The 2010 version was incredible with a year on it (and fresh). This 2011 was a bit hot and harsh fresh and is still a bit more bitter than I want in a bbbw. I should have another 1 or 2 kicking around that I'll save for another 6 months or so. (Note: this was stored slightly under cellar temp in my basement beer fridge as my chest freezer cellar is filled to capacity.)

clingman71
03-06-2012, 20:34
Enjoying a Six Point Resin, just arrived in Ohio last week.

unclebunk
03-07-2012, 07:18
Last two bottles of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that were lurking in the back of the beer fridge. Allowed to warm slightly by sitting on the counter for 15-20 minutes, these beers really shine with a beautiful hop character.

Clavius
03-08-2012, 17:23
Bought a bottle of Dogfish Head Red & White and a 4-pack of their ApriHop. Looking forward to trying both!

redbear
03-08-2012, 17:47
I've been enjoying the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The regular version is pretty good, the Nitro brings it over the top for me.

jcg9779
03-12-2012, 15:53
I've been enjoying the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The regular version is pretty good, the Nitro brings it over the top for me.

I had a Milk Stout Nitro last night. It's been a while since I've had the regular Milk Stout and might need to buy some more for a comparison.

Tico
03-12-2012, 20:24
Enjoying some Bear Republic Racer X. A nice change up from the regular staple in our house, Racer 5. It's a very nice, rich yet balanced D-IPA.

redbear
03-12-2012, 21:06
I had a Milk Stout Nitro last night. It's been a while since I've had the regular Milk Stout and might need to buy some more for a comparison.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. My friend prefers the regular to the nitro.

StraightNoChaser
03-13-2012, 10:15
Old Rasputin has been my go to lately.

I had a Rogue Ales Voodoo Doughnut the other night.... Maple Bacon Ale...

unclebunk
03-13-2012, 15:33
Old Rasputin has been my go to lately.

I had a Rogue Ales Voodoo Doughnut the other night.... Maple Bacon Ale...

I dig me some Old Rasputin too. But since it's unseasonably warm today at nearly 70 degrees (not bad for Chicago on March 13th!), I'm switching over from the dark stuff and heading for the Avery IPA. I love that beer!

jtexaslonestar
03-14-2012, 18:57
Oude Geuze. Wow this is crazy stuff!

jcg9779
03-15-2012, 07:13
Enjoyed a Bell's Hopslam last night after winning our softball game.

Brisko
03-15-2012, 07:25
I don't drink much beer anymore but I had a Schell's Hopfenmalz last night that really hit the spot.

stevegoz
03-15-2012, 08:47
The more Three Floyds Zombie Dust (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/64228) I have, the more I want.

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/652/41300) has also been treating me right.

miller542
03-15-2012, 09:09
Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Enough body to stand up to the cooler late winter/early spring temps, but lighter in color and some nice citrus to compliment the warm sunshine.

Winter and Fall seasonals have always been my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the past couple year's worth of Spring seasonals.

DaveOfAtl
03-15-2012, 09:17
Had several cans of Bud Light last night. I love the bright notes of . . . er . . . nevermind. It was cold and delicious, though. No matter how many new beers I try, there will always be a time and place for a Bud Light, or nine. :grin:

unclebunk
03-15-2012, 09:59
Enjoyed a couple of bottles of New Belgium's Dig Pale Ale last night while relishing an extraordinarily beautiful evening on the deck. This beer actually has more hop bite and a drier finish than most pale ales, putting it closer to the IPA category. Refreshing and a pleasant surprise!

miller542
03-15-2012, 22:38
Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Enough body to stand up to the cooler late winter/early spring temps, but lighter in color and some nice citrus to compliment the warm sunshine.

Winter and Fall seasonals have always been my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the past couple year's worth of Spring seasonals.

Now I'm having some Sling Shot from MacTarnahan's Brewing Co. Another very good match for the season. I'm not sure yet, but I might like it better than the Alpine Spring.

weller_tex
03-16-2012, 14:01
Nothing fancy..just some good 'ol Guinness Draught

dridge11
03-16-2012, 15:54
Had several cans of Bud Light last night. I love the bright notes of . . . er . . . nevermind. It was cold and delicious, though. No matter how many new beers I try, there will always be a time and place for a Bud Light, or nine. :grin:

Do they still have Red Dog and Southpaw Light in GA? Those were my go-to beers in college.

CaptainQ
03-16-2012, 17:41
No matter how many new beers I try, there will never be a time and place for a Bud Light. :(

Fixed that for you.

ThomasH
03-17-2012, 18:54
An Irish car bomb!

Thomas

callmeox
03-17-2012, 20:19
A perfectly chilled Bitter American hit the spot after dinner.

No faux Irish crap here today. :grin:

Clavius
03-17-2012, 20:39
HOPSLAM!!! (yes, it must be in all caps)

SDpappy
03-18-2012, 14:06
Had some Green Flash IPA. Love that brewery. I think after Stone, this is probably my 2nd favorite in San Diego.

yountvillewjs
03-18-2012, 14:16
Had some Green Flash IPA. Love that brewery. I think after Stone, this is probably my 2nd favorite in San Diego.

I agree with this statement. The IPA is a SoCal take on Pliny (esp. out of tap) and I really enjoy the Double Stout. Great brewery tour to take as well -- really nice people and lots of beer to drink.

DaveOfAtl
03-18-2012, 14:17
Do they still have Red Dog and Southpaw Light in GA? Those were my go-to beers in college.

Haha, I haven't seen either in some time (haven't been looking), but I definitely drank my share of Southpaw in college. Talk about a flashback . . . now I feel like I need to go looking for some. :grin:

ratcheer
03-18-2012, 16:32
I have been drinking regular bottled Guinness this weekend.

Tim

stevegoz
03-18-2012, 23:03
Drank through the menu at Hop Leaf Saturday. Enjoyed several bourbon-barrel-aged beers, including Lost Abbey's Deliverance and a fresh bottle of Founder's KBS. I found that I prefer the latter with some age on it, and will be putting my scant handful of bottles into the cellar 'til next winter.

Continued on the barrel-aged kick today during a fantasy baseball draft. Enjoyed some 2011 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and some fresh Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I enjoy the Central Waters' barrel-aged products so much that I'm almost beginning to wonder why I hunt down Bourbon County and KBS products.

Despite Chicago's summer weather, I'm still drinking winter style.

c2walker
03-19-2012, 19:13
Sipping Dogfish Head Aprihop alongside Redbreast CS. I was worried that the Aprihop would be a sweet, fruity mess, but the apricot is very subtle. The citrus notes in the beer are really pulling the orange and tangy fruit out of the whiskey. Delicious.

smokinjoe
03-19-2012, 19:30
Sipping Dogfish Head Aprihop alongside Redbreast CS. I was worried that the Aprihop would be a sweet, fruity mess, but the apricot is very subtle. The citrus notes in the beer are really pulling the orange and tangy fruit out of the whiskey. Delicious.

Nice description c2. That sounds like an interesting pairing, and it does sound good. I generally dislike fruit beers. You put into words what my feelings are...they usually are a "sweet, fruity mess..". However, I had a similar positive experience over the weekend with the Sweetwater Brewery's "Blue". It is as they describe, "...a light bodied wheat ale laced with natural blueberry flavor." I've had it before some time ago, but couldn't accurately recall my impressions, so I decided to try it again. Just like your experience with the Aprihop, the Blue's blueberry was very subtle. Slightly detectable on the nose, and even less so on the palate. Very refreshing with the warm weather we're having. It worked very well, to my surprise. So much so, I will re-up for another 6-pack when I finish this one. Now, to just find a whiskey that goes with it.

:toast:

jcg9779
03-20-2012, 09:14
Haha, I haven't seen either in some time (haven't been looking), but I definitely drank my share of Southpaw in college. Talk about a flashback . . . now I feel like I need to go looking for some. :grin:

Southpaw is the only beer that ever made me throw up when I wasn't drunk.

jcg9779
03-20-2012, 09:16
HOPSLAM!!! (yes, it must be in all caps)

Sunday afternoon was a nice warm day here in Atlanta, and I sat out by the pool with the semi-girlfriend and drank a couple bottles of HOPSLAM!!! while getting some sun. Can't wait for Summer!