PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from TN

omnom
12-31-2011, 09:36
Hi guys.

I'm very, very new and wanting to get into bourbon.

In my younger days I used to drink cheap bourbon with coke and ice. I have always very much enjoyed the smell of the bourbon.

I have always mixed with coke and ice, and more recently sprite and ice, and wanted to try to drink bourbon differently this past week

I had some Buffalo Trace and Maker's Mark in the house, and since that was all I had and I was excited to begin, I tried them both neat and on the rocks and...didn't like either too much. These were my first non mixed bourbon drinks, so maybe I just need to keep at it before I 'get' it.

I'm wondering, is drinking bourbon unmixed not for me or should I try a different type of bourbon? Or is it more of an acquired taste? Any pointers on where to go next on this path would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and nice to meet you all.

ebo
12-31-2011, 09:57
Try adding a little water or keep on using ice, for a while. There is no right or wrong way to drink bourbon (or any other whisk(e)y). It took me a little while to get "acclimated" to drinking whiskey neat. Now, I rarely, if ever, use water, and I never use ice. I just don't like my whiskey cold.

I'm sure there are the odd ducks that like whiskey neat the first time time they try it, but I've never encountered one. :lol:

Go slow..... figure out what you like and don't like. I'm finding the whiskey thing is an ever evolving ride that takes me in different directions the longer I'm involved in the "hobby".:grin:

Have a great New Year.... and enjoy your bourbon.... any way you like! :toast:

JayMonster
12-31-2011, 11:18
I don't particularly like termining it an "acquired" taste, but I would say, that considering where you are coming from (highly diluted and sweetened), it will take little time to... acclimate yourself to the higher straight alcohol content.

I think you have a couple of bottles that are very good starting points (but I am also a relative newbie and others may disagree), but that doesn't mean you have to drink the Neat the first time out. Experiment a little. Cut it down with some water... with and without ice, or maybe instead of going with soda, try a more undiluted cocktail like an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan.

In other words, you don't have to take the training wheels off and go solo immediately. Try a couple of different ways and feel your way around... Nobody can tell you exactly what will work best for you better than you can, and the only way you will know is to experiment and find out what works best.

As the old saying goes, "the joy is in the journey." Enjoy the trip.

omnom
12-31-2011, 19:19
Thank you both for the wise words. It really helps me a lot and makes sense to me for sure.

I will definitely take the advice given and continue on this exciting journey (I already feel strangely addicted and have been looking at many different bourbons constantly for the past few days).

Happy New Year :)

docbible
01-03-2012, 08:50
Where in TN are you located? I'm in the east above Knoxville. Some of the larger liquor stores will have open bottles that you can sample before you purchase. This way you can try a few without the expense of a bottle that you don't like. tim

omnom
01-03-2012, 16:23
Where in TN are you located? I'm in the east above Knoxville. Some of the larger liquor stores will have open bottles that you can sample before you purchase. This way you can try a few without the expense of a bottle that you don't like. tim

I am in Memphis. That's a really good idea and I hope there is somewhere around here that offers that :)

jcg9779
01-03-2012, 22:28
Welcome to the site!

docbible
01-04-2012, 06:11
Twenty years ago when I was in school in Memphis, I think there was a store off Popular ave that had a great selection of bourbons. It was Buster's if it is still open. Welcome to the site and enjoy your journey. tim

omnom
01-04-2012, 06:25
Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

Buster's is still there...I will check 'em out for sure - thanks for the tip. Never actually gone there as I have a little store nearby.

Neat
01-05-2012, 20:28
welcome to the site! as you can tell by my handle, i've never had a problem drinking bourbon or scotch neat.:cool: as a matter of fact, i don't like the taste of coke or sprite or any kind of soda with my whiskey. the other posters gave you some great advice - experiment with some water to decrease the alcohol 'burn'. i'm assuming that if you've been drinking bourbon with coke and sprite, you may have to get used to drinking it without but trust me, it is well worth the effort. the posters here have a wealth of knowledge and are very willing to share it. i've learned a lot here.