PDA

View Full Version : Villeroy & Boch Whiskey Glasses

jdodso3
01-02-2012, 16:54
Guys,

Have been considering pulling the trigger on a set of these glasses for a while. I have narrowed it down to the islands, highlands, and lowlands model. Which would you go with?

The lowlands seems very similar to a glencairne, while the other two offer a wider mouth (judging by the pictures).

Any suggestions?

trumpstylz
01-02-2012, 16:55
I'm guessing youre talking about these:

http://eshop.villeroy-boch.com/us/shopping/scotch-whisky/show_specialsdb/dbid_578

I dont know. Its a close call. Lowlands is the tallest, followed by highlands, then Island. Island is the widest, then highlands, then lowlands (reverse ratio).

B.B. Babington
01-02-2012, 17:51
how many oz are they? they look big unless you're doing rocks or water? I liked the nosing goblet.

trumpstylz
01-02-2012, 18:06
Not sure on the ounces, but the measurements are 4 inches to 5.25 inches in height.

moose
01-03-2012, 12:26
Seems a bit gimmicky to me, I would go with the smallest size, I don't like to have a huge glass with a tiny bit of whisky in it. The smaller fit better in the hand, and allow the glass to warm while you are holding it. Could just be personal preference though.

ILLfarmboy
01-03-2012, 12:59
I like the island.

But then I prefer the Riedel bourbon glasses or a snifter to the Glencairn. I understand and appreciate shapes that concentrate the nose of a spirit, but the Glencairn's opening is so narrow that I find it uncomfortable to drink from. I have to tip my head more than tipping the glass. And I don't like that.

trumpstylz
01-03-2012, 13:34
Seems a bit gimmicky to me, I would go with the smallest size, I don't like to have a huge glass with a tiny bit of whisky in it. The smaller fit better in the hand, and allow the glass to warm while you are holding it. Could just be personal preference though.

I'm pretty sure they hold the same volume but with different dimensions. I seem to recall someone else on this forum saying they had (and liked) their straight whiskey glasses.

And I acthually think the highland or island would fit best in the hand. And yeah, the lowland definitely looks similar in style to the glencairn.

ebo
01-03-2012, 15:17
I would probably go with the Island, just because the Lowland is already very close to the Glencairns I already have.

sailor22
01-03-2012, 18:11
Get them all and report back on which works best!

jdodso3
01-03-2012, 18:39
10-4 sailor22. I love my glencairnes but want to try something new. I agree with moose. I like the smaller sized glasses for drinking bourbon since I typically only pour 2-3 ounces.

I'll probably go with the highland and lowland and see how they drink. The island seems too much like a highball glass.

ebo
01-03-2012, 18:44
I would probably go with the Island, just because the Lowland is already very close to the Glencairns I already have.
Edit: I meant to say Highland.

jburlowski
01-04-2012, 04:45
I have a pair of their bourbon glasses (the smallest ones) and use them frequently. They have a nice heft to them and accommodate the occasional ice cube.
https://eshop.villeroy-boch.com/us/shopping/show_113615

trumpstylz
01-04-2012, 08:32
The Island looks a lot like the riedel O and the lowland looks glencairn.

I'd go highland- the inbetweener.

Flyfish
04-05-2012, 15:17
In what respect is any of them superior to a Glencairn at half (or less) the price? (That's a question, as I always have to tell my wife, not a criticism.)