PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Premium Rye

Josh
01-04-2012, 09:56
Breakout Premium Rye has just appeared on the Michigan list and there is no info about it online. Anybody heard of this stuff? About $40 a bottle, distributed by General, who also distributes WT, B-F HH and Redemption.

StraightBoston
01-09-2012, 08:29
Just found it in two stores in Massachusetts this weekend, along with a cousin in the same-shaped bottle called Jailers Tennessee Whiskey(!)

The bottler is called Tennessee Distilling Company from Pewaukee, WI (which seems a little geographically schizophrenic?) A Google search turned up this link:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ernie-blockburger/1b/2a8/3ba

but no other web presence.

Josh
01-09-2012, 12:50
Just found it in two stores in Massachusetts this weekend, along with a cousin in the same-shaped bottle called Jailers Tennessee Whiskey(!)

The bottler is called Tennessee Distilling Company from Pewaukee, WI (which seems a little geographically schizophrenic?) A Google search turned up this link:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ernie-blockburger/1b/2a8/3ba

but no other web presence.

Thanks a lot Kevin! Ernie Blockburger, that sounds like the name of a Rodney Dangerfield movie character.

fishnbowljoe
01-12-2012, 16:21
Thanks a lot Kevin! Ernie Blockburger, that sounds like the name of a Rodney Dangerfield movie character.

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are. :slappin: Nice one Josh.

sku
01-21-2012, 12:30
These are in California too: Breakout 8 year old rye and Jailers Tennessee Whiskey. I wrote to Mr. Blockburger to try and find out more.

T Comp
01-22-2012, 07:27
Hmmm...let's see... calls itself a vertically integrated company (not an MBA so I had to look that up) in a three tier system industry (so how vertically integrated can you be) that also proclaims it "produces", creates, and markets its own alcohol beverage brands". :horseshit: Or...benefit of the doubt, in their use of the transitive verb "produces" tdmv (their definition may vary) but isn't that covered by creates?

leebo
02-23-2012, 18:03
Anymore info on this?

Restaurant man
02-23-2012, 19:22
Tasted em both. Unknown origins for the whiskey. Owned by capital brands. Juice is nothing to write home about. Low proof (for my tastes) but still kind of hot tasting. I'm passing on the free bottle they gave me. Sorry, no offense, just not my cup of tea

cowdery
04-05-2012, 10:42
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/beverage-industry-vets-form-capital-brands-and-the-tennessee-spirits-company-144417735.html

Dave Scheurich, who formerly ran Woodford Reserve, is involved. Sounds very much like Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy. As with Henderson, obvious assumption is that it's BF juice, Jack Daniel's in this case. I doubt it. And I did hear a rumor that Diageo sold some Dickel as bulk recently. Nothing is confirmed.

StraightBoston
04-06-2012, 09:40
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/beverage-industry-vets-form-capital-brands-and-the-tennessee-spirits-company-144417735.html

Dave Scheurich, who formerly ran Woodford Reserve, is involved. Sounds very much like Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy. As with Henderson, obvious assumption is that it's BF juice, Jack Daniel's in this case. I doubt it. And I did hear a rumor that Diageo sold some Dickel as bulk recently. Nothing is confirmed.

I tasted the Jailers at Julio's in March -- I'd have bet it was Dickel juice.

Restaurant man
04-07-2012, 23:16
My $$ says... Don't waste a dollar on this sh$t

mrviognier
04-08-2012, 08:29
Agreed. Tasted it on my last trip to Boston. Pretty underwhelmed.

whskylvr
04-28-2012, 20:57
This is Dickel juice.

Also, a little side note Dickel will be releasing a rye later on this year.

tmckenzie
04-29-2012, 04:27
You mean the rye is from Dickel? I had heard they were making rye. Should be interesting.

shoshani
04-29-2012, 12:09
The one and only time I've ever bought Dickel was a bottle of 12 year old, a couple of years ago when it returned to the market after an absence. I was a bit put off by it; it had an overwhelming aroma and flavor of undiluted brewer's yeast. If that profile is in their rye, it should be a dead giveaway.

Endall
05-31-2012, 04:06
Saw it at the LS next to Costco. They had it in the premium cabinet, must not have enough to get normal shelf space.
Tried it and like it! The Dickel taste is there. Plus a little different smell and feel. I like Dickel for an inexpensive whisky.
My brother lives in Winchester TN, and drives past JD sometimes. But he has been buying Dickel for the last 30+ years. I have toured both. But th JD tour is much more refined. At least it was back in the 80's.
I may try the rye, but definately will pick up another Jailers. Good stuff for 25.00.

George

tmckenzie
05-31-2012, 15:09
I drank all of the rye, and enjoyed every drop. I will be getting more.

tmckenzie
06-10-2012, 12:44
Ran across this again today. Look at what is on lunn's desk around 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIxgDILBl4

Josh
06-10-2012, 13:40
Ran across this again today. Look at what is on lunn's desk around 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIxgDILBl4

Great catch!

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

tmckenzie
06-11-2012, 03:55
Thanks! I am nosy. Amazing how He puts on that cap which you can tell he never wears and acts like he is making whiskey. And looks like that bottle said 116 proof. I just wonder if that was just off the beer still?

CorvallisCracker
06-11-2012, 11:01
...looking around...

What "cool people"? :skep:

Lazer
06-11-2012, 14:37
Thanks! I am nosy. Amazing how He puts on that cap which you can tell he never wears and acts like he is making whiskey. And looks like that bottle said 116 proof. I just wonder if that was just off the beer still?

The hat was definitely the best part of the video. :grin:

cowdery
06-12-2012, 11:54
George Dickel, of course, never distilled anything, there or anywhere else, and it's unlikely he ever even visited Cascade Hollow.

But I have made inquiries about Dickel Rye.

cowdery
06-14-2012, 16:41
I have an official denial from Diageo that they had anything to do with Breakout Rye.

They will neither confirm nor deny that a Dickel Rye is in the works.

StraightBoston
06-15-2012, 11:11
I have an official denial from Diageo that they had anything to do with Breakout Rye.

They will neither confirm nor deny that a Dickel Rye is in the works.

Thanks, Chuck.

I think some kind of thread drift started the confusion (i.e. questions about Jailers Bourbon from the same bottler, which is unquestionably Dickel juice to my palate.)

The Breakout rye is too old at 8 years to be an as-yet-unheard-of Dickel rye. I have a bottle, and enjoy it, but don't have enough other (LDI) ryes to compare to.

tmckenzie
06-16-2012, 03:11
I wonder if they took ldi rye and put it through the charcoal process?

sku
06-21-2012, 15:07
It looks like the Tennessee Spirits Company that makes Jailers and Breakout is now affiliated with or owned by Luxco. Luxco submitted their last few COLA apps.

Restaurant man
06-21-2012, 21:22
It looks like the Tennessee Spirits Company that makes Jailers and Breakout is now affiliated with or owned by Luxco. Luxco submitted their last few COLA apps.

Well now. Seeing how well they have managed brands like "bourbon supreme" we can only expect the finest things... I'm sure they will be taking over "high spirits" soon. Can't wait

Josh
06-22-2012, 04:08
Well now. Seeing how well they have managed brands like "bourbon supreme" we can only expect the finest things... I'm sure they will be taking over "high spirits" soon. Can't wait

Don't hate. Old Ezra 101 and Ezra B are pretty damn good.

White Dog
06-22-2012, 13:05
Don't hate. Old Ezra 101 and Ezra B are pretty damn good.

I love me some Old Ezra 101, but they conveniently have extra David Nicholson DSP-KY-16 labels, so they're still unethically using them(Hello TTB! Anybody home??) and I'd put my bottle of Rebel Yell against your bottle of Benchmark any day.:lol:

cowdery
06-22-2012, 17:48
Pitting Rebel Yell against Benchmark is like when Notre Dame plays Michigan. The only pity is that someone has to win.

ebo
06-22-2012, 18:34
Pitting Rebel Yell against Benchmark is like when Notre Dame plays Michigan. The only pity is that someone has to win.

:grin:... :toast:

T Comp
06-22-2012, 22:00

Jono
12-01-2012, 13:43
I just noticed their products at the Meijer grocery store. Their website indicates that they are building a distillery in Pulaski, TN.

http://www.tennesseespiritscompany.com/the-distillery/

ThomasH
01-12-2013, 13:58
Bought a bottle of this last week, noy bad!

Thomas

tanstaafl2
08-04-2013, 14:44
So now that Capital Brands (http://whiskycast.com/jailers-tennessee-whiskey-maker-reported-to-have-ceased-operations/) has gone belly up is this officially a dusty???

:lol:

The bourbon was apparently pretty definitely identified as Dickel despite an unwillingness of the company to fess up for "legal reasons" but the rye still seems to be a bit of a mystery as best I can tell. Reports seem varied but at least one person with an experienced palate seemed to like the rye!

I drank all of the rye, and enjoyed every drop. I will be getting more.

MGPI seems a likely source but I can't find anything to confirm. Not really interested at the current price but if the rye starts hitting the clearance rack for a good price I might give one a try!

squire
08-04-2013, 15:30
I hope that means a closeout sale on the Tennessee whisky.

brettckeen
08-07-2013, 16:25
not bad, had it last night at Longman. 8yr LDI, super minty, but I'd still rather have one of the Willet FE 4yr LDIs

lrochau
08-08-2013, 19:59
Found a place in houston area closing out this for $16.99 a bottle so I picked up a case to take back home to iowa.

tanstaafl2
08-09-2013, 15:25
Found a place in houston area closing out this for $16.99 a bottle so I picked up a case to take back home to iowa.

That would be the kind of price I would be looking for!

mbroo5880i
08-09-2013, 19:01
That would be the kind of price I would be looking for!

Yeah, I would try just about any whiskey for $16.99! If it is the Rye, then that is an great price. Over 50% off!

StraightBoston
04-27-2014, 05:55
Several cases of this on closeout at Party Source for $12.99...

tanstaafl2
04-27-2014, 16:10
Several cases of this on closeout at Party Source for $12.99...

Finally. I think they shut down operations some time ago!