PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum from San Diego

SeaninSD
01-07-2012, 11:14
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan bourbon in mixed drinks for a while, but just recently started trying it neat. I toured the BT distillery over the holidays while visiting family and have become more interested in the history, process and options out there. San Diego doesn't seem to have the best selection and certainly not the best prices, but I'd welcome some recommendations. Looking forward to learning from this forum and learning more about bourbon!

jcg9779
01-07-2012, 13:29
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan bourbon in mixed drinks for a while, but just recently started trying it neat. I toured the BT distillery over the holidays while visiting family and have become more interested in the history, process and options out there. San Diego doesn't seem to have the best selection and certainly not the best prices, but I'd welcome some recommendations. Looking forward to learning from this forum and learning more about bourbon!

Welcome to the site! There's a lot of information on here....the "search" button comes in very handy!

SDpappy
01-08-2012, 20:03
Hey Sean! I'm also from San Diego and new to the forum. Agree that SD doesn't have the best prices. I've been going to the local bevmos to check out their selection. Holiday Wines in Escondido has some interesting selection but the prices are high. I usually just go online to purchase, especially when one SD store quoted me $99 for some Van Winkle Lot B and $200 for Pappy 20.

SeaninSD
01-08-2012, 20:12
Hey Sean! I'm also from San Diego and new to the forum. Agree that SD doesn't have the best prices. I've been going to the local bevmos to check out their selection. Holiday Wines in Escondido has some interesting selection but the prices are high. I usually just go online to purchase, especially when one SD store quoted me $99 for some Van Winkle Lot B and $200 for Pappy 20.

Glad to find another San Diego bourbon drinker!

I was at one local store in Mission Valley and they wanted $89 and $99 for the 10/90 and 10/107 and $139 for Lot B and $229 for the 20 year! :shocked:

PM where you go online as I'm looking for Lot B as I've never tried it yet.

Any other local suggestions would be appreciated too!

JayMonster
01-10-2012, 18:20
Welcome aboard!

I can certainly empathize with the lack of selection and high prices as we have the same problem here in NJ. Plus we get the added bonus of not being able to order and have shipped here either. :hot:

But as they say, where there is a will, there is a way. I wisb you luck in your searching.

BroInBourbonMD
02-12-2012, 12:46
Welcome Sean! And yes, Jack nailed it with how useful the search button can be. That is actually how I found this thread because I will be in San Diego on an upcoming business trip and wanted to see if there are any good bourbon/whiskey bars or restaurants I should try to out. I will be staying close to the SD airport. Any suggestions???

From what it sounds like above, it would probably be a waste of my time and money to check out the local San Diego liquors stores, huh? The top shelf stuff like PVW and BTAC doesn't stay on the shelves very long around the Cincinnati area so I like to try and see what I can find when I am on the road, but it sounds like the prices are just going to be ridiculous in SD.

gburger
02-15-2012, 16:08
Welcome, enjoy this great site.

SeaninSD
02-15-2012, 20:16
Welcome Sean! And yes, Jack nailed it with how useful the search button can be. That is actually how I found this thread because I will be in San Diego on an upcoming business trip and wanted to see if there are any good bourbon/whiskey bars or restaurants I should try to out. I will be staying close to the SD airport. Any suggestions???

From what it sounds like above, it would probably be a waste of my time and money to check out the local San Diego liquors stores, huh? The top shelf stuff like PVW and BTAC doesn't stay on the shelves very long around the Cincinnati area so I like to try and see what I can find when I am on the road, but it sounds like the prices are just going to be ridiculous in SD.

I replied back to you in the General section so check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. San Diego is a great city, but I don't know if it's a great bourbon city! :lol:

yountvillewjs
02-15-2012, 20:27
Born & raised in San Diego -- a fine, fine place but awful as a bourbon destination.

ckgdrums
02-16-2012, 13:35
Welcome from Kansas!

BroInBourbonMD
02-16-2012, 17:24
I replied back to you in the General section so check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. San Diego is a great city, but I don't know if it's a great bourbon city! :lol:

Yes, thank you very much for the info. I guess now I'll just have to concentrate on keeping my tongue in my mouth with all the SoCal ladies wandering around :bigeyes:. You definitely get the better distribution when it comes to to the ladies! :bowdown:

smokinjoe
02-16-2012, 17:48
Yes, thank you very much for the info. I guess now I'll just have to concentrate on keeping my tongue in my mouth with all the SoCal ladies wandering around :bigeyes:. You definitely get the better distribution when it comes to to the ladies! :bowdown:

Brother, this is the truth. I'm a baseball guy, so when I travel out of town during MLB season, I try and make it to a game in the city I'm in. Unquestionably, unarguably, incontestably, without a doubt, hands down, no contest, the best looking female fans of any stadium I've been in was at Petco Park in SD. :bigeyes: I've been seeing a chiropractor for my neck ever since...;) BTW BIBMD, if you're a beer guy, you owe it to yourself to get up to Escondido and the Stone Brewery. Awesome place.

yountvillewjs
02-18-2012, 08:57
Brother, this is the truth. I'm a baseball guy, so when I travel out of town during MLB season, I try and make it to a game in the city I'm in. Unquestionably, unarguably, incontestably, without a doubt, hands down, no contest, the best looking female fans of any stadium I've been in was at Petco Park in SD. :bigeyes: I've been seeing a chiropractor for my neck ever since...;) BTW BIBMD, if you're a beer guy, you owe it to yourself to get up to Escondido and the Stone Brewery. Awesome place.

Agreed. San Diego is truly America's Finest City, if you catch my drift. Smokin' - if you find yourself in the Bay Area - I'd love to catch a Giants game (great great ballpark) and maybe Bourbon & Branch. And we have Russian River Brew Co.

As far as beer in SD -- Stone is the iconic must stop. I'd throw Green Flash in there too. Lots of really great stuff going on there.

SeaninSD
02-18-2012, 20:09

Let me know how you trip goes and I do recommend Starlite, you can do some watching there while drinking some good bourbon! :cool:

BroInBourbonMD
02-20-2012, 19:36

Thanks for the suggestion on the brewery. I'll have to try and fit that in. I'm a baseball guy too and am rather disappointed that this trip wasn't able to be made during the season. I think I have been to 16 different ballparks now to see a game, but none on the left coast. At least all these business trips are good for something :grin:

BroInBourbonMD
02-28-2012, 15:46
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I decided to hit Starlight after getting off the plane and they did not disappoint. Very well stocked bourbon selection and the prices were not obscene! Along with the standards were the full PVW line (23=$23, 20= $17) including the rye ($13) as well as most of the BTAC, a couple Willett's and Black Maple Hills. Believe it or not, they are selling Handy for $13 and Stagg for $11!!! The bartender was engaging and offered up a bunch of suggestions for a first timer to SD.

I also found a speakeasy in the Gaslamp district that poured the the PVW line (23=$30, 20=$20) and had a couple of bartenders that were mixing a bunch of very unique cocktails. I can't remember everything I tasted, but they were all very good.

If you get the chance, go to the Sheraton on Harbor Island. Their bar (Tapatini) makes a mean Manhattan and also has infused baby Saz with buttered pecans. I didn't much care for it, but it was an interesting taste. That bar also carried a couple of nicer labels like ER17 and High West.

I also learned that the Aero Club carried everything you can think of. Apparently, if you ask for it and they don't have it, they will by the next time you go. I didn't get a chance to try that one out though.

The only disappointment was with the 12 or so liquor stores I popped into didn't really carry much, but I kind of expected that.

All in all the trip was awesome and my wife and I had a great time. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!