PDA

View Full Version : What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
01-09-2012, 20:01
Willett 4YO and watching the BCS national championship FG kicking extravaganza.

Ejmharris
01-09-2012, 20:13
Same here, wish I had bought another couple when TPS had them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parkersback
01-09-2012, 20:41
Had a little nip of some ND Old Overholt, 86 proof. My rye literacy is pretty scant, but it's sort of like a marriage between the warmth and weight and bourbon-esque character of RittBIB and the minty, mineral rye nature of something like Bulleit Rye. Nice stuff.

White Dog
01-09-2012, 20:44
I like this thread!

I was just saying in it's companion thread that I'm having some Vintage 21yr. It's been open a year, and unlike a wheater, I feel that this bottle has lost a step since I first opened it. Too much air?? I have been whittling down my open bottles to combat this type of issue.

At one point in my "must try it all" phase, I had close to 100 bottles open at once. I've got it down to around 25.

AaronWF
01-09-2012, 21:03
I like this thread!

I got a hold of some High West 'Rocky Mountain Rye,' which is what they call their 16-year old 80% Rye. At 92pr it's not quite twice as spicy as THH Rye. Also sippin on a Willet 3 year-old @ 113pr. A couple drops of water, and it's the perfect young rye.

I drink my VWFRR from a straw.

ACDetroit
01-09-2012, 21:22
Just a splash of some Saz 18 (2004 release) and then I might have a Rye and ginger with some WT.

clingman71
01-09-2012, 21:24
VWFRR last night.

c2walker
01-09-2012, 23:24
Jefferson's 10 year rye. It's good stuff. I'm discovering that I'm a rye fan and have bypassing the bourbon night after night!

STLbourbon
01-10-2012, 07:31
High West Rendezvous Rye and Rittenhouse BIB.

Both excellent...

STLb

bad_scientist
01-10-2012, 09:04
Had a Jefferson's Rye on Friday - tasted like hairspray to me at the time, but for some awful reason I want more.

Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?

timd
01-10-2012, 09:42
Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?
I really enjoy it - but the pricing is odd, I get it as low as $23, but see it as high as $35. When it's under $25, I always buy it.

One of the most wintergreen/pine-scented Ryes around (moreso than even the LDI stuff). Totally different beast than the WT101 Rye - smooth and enjoyable, but not brash and explosive like others.

timd
01-10-2012, 09:44
I pretty much drink Rye or Scotch 70% of the time. The rest is for bourbon or tequila/mezcal.

Glad to see this thread.

My Rye collection outguns the bourbons by 4 or 5 to 1. I've still got lots of bourbon, but Rye is my true love!

Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!

bad_scientist
01-10-2012, 09:49
Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!

Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.

Brisko
01-10-2012, 09:55

I like it a lot but I'm probably in the minority here. It doesn't bear a huge resemblance to the 101 rye (which I also like as a general rule).

White Dog
01-10-2012, 11:16
Had a Jefferson's Rye on Friday - tasted like hairspray to me at the time, but for some awful reason I want more.

RR Rye always seems a bit too tame and one-note for me, but I love me some WT101 Rye!

timd
01-10-2012, 12:26
Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.
I agree - but it's nice to have the various choices!

Have you had Vintage Rye 21 or Van Winkle Rye? Those two have their own unique and exceptional profiles.

bad_scientist
01-10-2012, 17:20
I agree - but it's nice to have the various choices!

Have you had Vintage Rye 21 or Van Winkle Rye? Those two have their own unique and exceptional profiles.

I had the Vintage Rye 21 at a bar a couple of months ago and found it to be extraordinary (though see White Dog's post about how it does over time). I have a bottle of the VWFRR but haven't opened it yet. I read a very, very long thread here a few days ago, in which it was mentioned that half of the VW Rye is the same stuff in the Vintage Ryes.

Too bad about the one-note, mellow RR Rye. I'll probably get a High West next. Son of Bourye is out in my neighborhood for a reasonable $40.

White Dog
01-17-2012, 19:56
Let's keep this thread going, fellow SBers. I'm having some VWFRR, since I've been lucky enough to pick up a few more bottles this month. As good as ever! Once Julian runs out of the vatting and goes all BT, this will be one sought after dusty!!!

Old Lamplighter
01-17-2012, 20:18
I agree:toast: ...the more VWFRR the merrier and a very good time for all...but tonight, leaning in good on that new bottle of Lil Saz....good, very good. Maybe some room later for Ritt BIB...maybe....:drink:

AaronWF
01-17-2012, 20:39
I had a short pour of HW RM16. There's no denying its large rye character, but it really is wholly unique. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it's only 92pr; it's just so spicy, but without the heat I keep expecting. It's less oily than THH, and full bodied in a more even-keeled way. I think it's still opening up, so I'm taking it slow...

I'm going to ask in the Barton Rye thread if it was used in the Double Rye, because it definitely is reminiscent of some notes I found in there.

yountvillewjs
01-17-2012, 20:58
Had a little Saz 18 (11) to start then a baby Saz manhattan. I like the wheaters, but I find myself reaching for the ryes far more often.

Wall Eye
01-18-2012, 18:15
I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?

bad_scientist
01-18-2012, 18:21
I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?

The aged ryes may decline after opening, while for the younger ryes I've had recently - Ritt BiB, Redemption, and, so far, the RR Rye - a little time helps them out. I didn't notice any difference with the Rendezvous Rye.

One major exception to the rule for older ryes is the Saz 18. It's been kept in steel tanks for the past 6 years and has not gotten notably worse, or so I've heard. The stock got shifted a few years ago to smaller tanks, allowing exposure to less air, but for a year or two it was in a 13,500 gallon tank, likely leaving plenty of room for oxidation.

steeltownbbq
01-18-2012, 19:03
Got a bottle of Bulliett the other day. I favor rye flavors in my bourbon, but the Bulliett Rye seems real thin and lifeless to me. I guess I'm missing the corn.

I had a 1/2 bottle of MM46 that was gifted to me and I'm not a fan of wheaters. Anyway - a 2:1 mix of MM46 and Bulliett Rye proved to be one of the best drinks I've had a in a long time. I may make this blend a regular in my rotation.

Brisko
01-19-2012, 07:57
Had a little VWFRR last night, followed by some Willett 4 y/o (LDI juice).

Very interesting to put those two together.

timd
01-19-2012, 09:02
VWFRR "B" stock and some Ritt BIB last night.

Both so good... I'm pretty sure that Ritt BIB would be a much sought after and coveted dram fetching high $$$ if it were to disappear completely.

It's definitely one of those "they don't make 'em like that anymore" type offerings that has "legendary status" potential

AaronWF
01-19-2012, 10:11
I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.

White Dog
01-19-2012, 12:16
I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.

Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.

Brisko
01-19-2012, 13:12
Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.

I don't know, I've had some bottles of the rye that were really good and the last couple were pretty bad.

Then again the 101 bourbon is pretty variable, too, but I've never had one that I would call "bad."

awachatz
01-19-2012, 16:58
Enjoying some W H Harrison Governor's Reserve. It is a barrel proof at 115 proof. It is technically a "high rye" bourbon, but I would rate it over many of the rye whiskeys that I have tried. A very intense rye flavor.

wmpevans
01-19-2012, 18:01
Willett Single Barrell: 5 year, 110 proof.

Just opened this bottle.

Color: honey
Nose: minty, oaky
Taste: Dry, oaky with a long deep minty-rye finish

I'm really enjoying this. Very high quality rye. Nice price also.

White Dog
01-19-2012, 20:50
I don't know, I've had some bottles of the rye that were really good and the last couple were pretty bad.

Then again the 101 bourbon is pretty variable, too, but I've never had one that I would call "bad."

I'm not calling WT101 Bourbon "bad," I simply prefer their Rye most of the time.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-22-2012, 20:56
Up visiting family in Wisconsin, found a bottle of Stephen Foster, not too bad for an 80 proof.

yountvillewjs
01-23-2012, 21:10
First time with Ritt BiB, love it. Will be loading up.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-23-2012, 21:33
Drinking some more Stephen Fosters, apparently I really like it considering I drank half a liter last night!

Old Lamplighter
01-23-2012, 22:13
Finishing up the evening with Rittenhouse BIB...it don't get much better even though this time tomorrow, I should have a Saz 18 to add to the family.

SDpappy
01-23-2012, 22:58
Found a bar that serves all of the buffalo trace stuff including VW rye. $13 for a 1.5 oz pour but worth it at the bar...really enjoyed the nose and finish on this rye.

ethangsmith
01-24-2012, 16:24
The usual suspects:

Rittenhouse BIB
Pikesville 80 (So cheap, so tasty!!)
Old Overholt 80
Wild Turkey 101 rye
Russell's Reserve 90
Oh, and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye!

bad_scientist
01-28-2012, 13:53
Anyone else notice a big variation in Ritt BIB? My current bottle is all cotton candy and marshmallow, while the previous bottle was dusty cherries. Both are great, and I've pretty much decided that Ritt is going to be my standard pour, but it's crazy to me how different these are. What are these, small batch? Both should be 2011 bottlings.

clingman71
01-28-2012, 15:23
Vintage 21, begins very woody, but opens up after a few minutes to beautiful combination of sweetness and spice, very rich for a rye.

ethangsmith
01-28-2012, 15:28
Anyone else notice a big variation in Ritt BIB? My current bottle is all cotton candy and marshmallow, while the previous bottle was dusty cherries. Both are great, and I've pretty much decided that Ritt is going to be my standard pour, but it's crazy to me how different these are. What are these, small batch? Both should be 2011 bottlings.

Weird. I'm almost done with my current bottle. I'll have to pop open a second one and compare. I noticed sometime in the past year that the back label went from matching black to a tan label. Wording and bar code are still identical. Maybe this is some identifier as to some change over. Oh well, it's all water under the bridge anyway since we'll soon have a constant supply of Bernheim rye filling the bottles!

White Dog
01-28-2012, 19:14
A Hirsch 22yr that has been open for about 6 months. Sublime.

clingman71
01-28-2012, 21:59
Did a little vintage 21 - VWFRR comparison tonight. The v21 is better right out of the shoot. The VW is a little thin, tight, rough around the edges at first pour. A few drops of water and 30 minutes later things have progressed nicely. Both have improved, but the VW more so. It still has its wonderfully assertive rye spice, but there is a creaminess to the mouthfeel that was lacking earlier. This makes it approach the v21's overall richness, but never quite get there. While I like them both very much, the Vintage 21 is the better of the two. Although that is splitting hairs a bit as they are both excellent whiskeys. The rich character of the v21 carries the rye spice in a way that no other rye that I've tried has. To me, it is the rye for a wheated bourbon lover.

roostercogburn
01-29-2012, 05:36
A Hirsch 22yr that has been open for about 6 months. Sublime.

Man, I miss my bottle of this. Such a good rye.

Spent the last few days in Chicago and brought along a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB (since I'm cheap and won't pay for hotel well whiskey). Hadn't opened a bottle of this stuff in quite some time, but am I glad I chose this for my travel whiskey. Really soft on the entry, lots of bourbon sweetness picking up the rye spice in the finish. I've been drinking it for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get over what a steal Ritt is.

G.H.Adams
01-29-2012, 22:23
Enjoying a generous pour of Abraham Bowman Rye.

CaptainQ
01-29-2012, 22:25
Enjoying a generous pour of Abraham Bowman Rye.

If it's the barrel strength bottling that's the best rye I've ever tasted.

nivto
01-29-2012, 23:03
If it's the barrel strength bottling that's the best rye I've ever tasted.

Dave, you finally got into your bottle?

CaptainQ
01-30-2012, 09:25
Dave, you finally got into your bottle?

Yes, finally. What an amazing rye. I did a side by side with Handy and the Bowman blew it away.

nivto
01-30-2012, 21:01
Yes, finally. What an amazing rye. I did a side by side with Handy and the Bowman blew it away.

Agreed! It's a shame that there won't be any more.

G.H.Adams
01-30-2012, 21:51
Yes it's the barrel strength. I am sampling it slowly to make it last but I also have two more bottles in the bunker.

c2walker
01-30-2012, 22:26
Had some Ritt BIB, Jefferson's 10 yr, Baby Saz, and Saz 18 tonight. Saz 18 was as exceptional as I remember, and though very different, I really like Jefferson's and Baby Saz, but in that line-up Ritt did absolutely nothing for me.

Old Lamplighter
02-01-2012, 22:04
Tonight, a 3-stage rye rocket, in order of ignition: 1) Saz Jr; 2) THH; 3) Bowman

BradleyC
02-01-2012, 22:58
Tonight, a 3-stage rye rocket, in order of ignition: 1) Saz Jr; 2) THH; 3) Bowman

Would you posts your thoughts of the THH vs Bowman? I would be interested in hearing your impressions having had them back to back.

CaptainQ
02-02-2012, 10:31

Very nice BT line up. :yum:

Old Lamplighter
02-02-2012, 20:01
Would you posts your thoughts of the THH vs Bowman? I would be interested in hearing your impressions having had them back to back.

This is the 2d time I have done this lineup with the only difference is that I left out the Ritt BIB this time around. The first time, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a distinct difference between them. The Bowman was definitely a cut above but both had a number of similarities just the same. The Bowman was smoother along with a more 'ripe' rye feel to the palate without the ever so slight burn I notice with Handy. My normal mode of operation is to cut the barrel proofs down to a comfortable 98-100 but I miscalculated a bit and had them about 102-104. The Handy kept that slightly wicked bite that was missing in the Bowman and it was evident that the age made a difference.

Last night, in my 2d run of this lineup, I did cut them both to around 99-100. For whatever reason, I almost could not tell the difference between them. Both were more like the Bowman the first time around. I am not too good with science but I do wonder if the slightly heavier water cut sliced too deeply to 'tame' the Handy. You would not think such a small change would make that much difference though. Maybe my palate was just off a bit last night. I will be doing a repeat performance tomorrow night and post further results then.

I hope all this rambling gibberish is of some usefulness. Perhaps a more seasoned veteran and one who can better verbalize their taste impressions will give this a try & let us know.

LostBottle
02-02-2012, 22:33
I cracked a bottle of High West 16. I was interested in trying this one due to it being ultra aged and such a high rye content. It is very tasty and quite unique. This whiskey is definitely not for everyone though and giving it to a novice might be disastrous.

To me, this whiskey has strong spice, a nice wood flavor that is neither astringent nor overpowering, and a hint of menthol and pine in there somewhere. Not much sweetness in this one and definitely not one I would reach for every day, but when in the mood for rye, more rye, and still more rye, this is it. However, it is more expensive than Saz 18 and VWFRR which are, in my opinion, superior whiskeys and utterly drinkable at any hour of any day.

boneuphtoner
02-03-2012, 17:25
Just sampled some High West Double rye at a tasting tonight, and walked out with a bottle. Seriously fantastic stuff! It has replaced the Ri1 as my favorite rye (no I haven't had the privelige of trying any of the Sezarac stuff yet).

bad_scientist
02-03-2012, 18:57
Just sampled some High West Double rye at a tasting tonight, and walked out with a bottle. Seriously fantastic stuff! It has replaced the Ri1 as my favorite rye (no I haven't had the privelige of trying any of the Sezarac stuff yet).

Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?

bad_scientist
02-05-2012, 08:52
Killed my local bar's bottle of Vintage 23 Rye. I like the Vintage 21 about a hundred billion times better. I didn't get much in the way of rye at all, just varnish and bitterness. I did get some floral stuff in the nose but it was not vibrant or complex like the 21 year.

AaronWF
02-06-2012, 11:49
This weekend I killed off a Willet 3 year old rye and a VWFRR. The barrel-proof Willet clocked in at 113.9pf but shined brought down to 100pf or so. Beautiful confectioner's sweet mint, though it still carried that hint of dill. Not very complex, but quite robust and satisfying. I had a really bad cold at the beginning of the year and it was the only thing in my cabinet that inched its way past my deadened senses.

The VWFRR... I'm running out of ways to phrase it: an absolutely unforgettable classic.

ethangsmith
02-06-2012, 15:51
Am I the only one drinking Pikesville rye or is it really that hard to get? I stock up every time I go to Baltimore.

White Dog
02-06-2012, 20:06
Am I the only one drinking Pikesville rye or is it really that hard to get? I stock up every time I go to Baltimore.

Next to impossible in my neck of the woods. I found a bottle in 2010, and haven't seen one since. I stopped drinking from my bottle months ago, as there's only a couple inches left.

And with the availability of Ritt being what it is, I'm not surprised.

Yet oddly enough, I can easily find Stephen Foster, which is HH's 30 month old 80 proof Rye(As opposed to Pikesville's 36 months). Hell, I can find it in handles. Side by side, Pikesville hands down.

cbus
02-09-2012, 21:49
Shared some 2011 Handy with friends while watching Archer tonight. They were quite impressed.

boneuphtoner
02-10-2012, 10:40
[QUOTE][Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?/QUOTE]

Sure did! They had their own version of what is essentially White Dog rye. With the exception of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey, I've never tried any of these raw whiskeys before. The High West version was palatable, but barely. They also had the Son of Bourye samples, which is a rye-bourbon mix. I liked it, but not nearly as well as the Double Rye. It seemed very sweet compared to the beautifully balanced Double Rye.

bad_scientist
02-10-2012, 11:48
[quote][Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?/QUOTE]

Sure did! They had their own version of what is essentially White Dog rye. With the exception of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey, I've never tried any of these raw whiskeys before. The High West version was palatable, but barely. They also had the Son of Bourye samples, which is a rye-bourbon mix. I liked it, but not nearly as well as the Double Rye. It seemed very sweet compared to the beautifully balanced Double Rye.

Awesome, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, seeing that the Double Rye is about $10 less than the SOB :) I've just had their Rendezvous Rye but was looking to branch out a bit.

Any luck yet with the Sazerac? I saw that the DLC got some in, but they stashed them in out-of-the-way stores.

Wall Eye
02-10-2012, 21:13
Found some Ritt BIB last weekend.

Wow.

This is about as close to liquid candy I've found yet. And $21.99 / 750.

It would, of course, have to be hard to find.

Rich

Old Lamplighter
02-11-2012, 23:39
High West Rendezvous...thin, rye 'lite', marginal at best...still unimpressed...slowly but surely trying to get rid of the remainder. Following with Ritt BIB to push the HW on thru the system and finish the night strong.

awachatz
02-12-2012, 15:48
Shared some 2011 Handy with friends while watching Archer tonight. They were quite impressed.

I enjoy TTH much more than Saz 18. It is underrated, but overpriced. BTW, Archer is one of the best shows on.

Parkersback
02-12-2012, 20:13
I had some ND Old Overholt and some VWFRR.

The VW is so creamy, fruit and strong.

The OH is different, but still nice. You can taste the years, in a very good way, on the VW, and in comparison the OH seems a less complex. I don't have much rye literacy, but this OH is still a nice whiskey.

bourboncc
02-12-2012, 20:48
Rittenhouse BIB. Superb for $15.

AaronWF
02-12-2012, 22:04
I have had the pleasure of some HW 21yo rye, HW 16yo rye and Saz18 2011 tonight.

The HW 21yo is WOWIE. It's been some time since I've had a sample, but tonight's bites were so much more spicy than I expected. The nose and the finish are drenched in wet, fruity vanilla cake and there's much more spice on the palate than I remembered. The 16yo packs a very impressive spice kick for 92pf, and the Saz18 is undoubtably reminiscent of VWFRR.

All delicate ryes proofed at < 100, but each has a lot to say when your taste buds can stand at attention and listen. I've been away from whiskey for five days before this, so I was prime for some under-proofed, ultra-aged ryes, and I'm loving it!

boneuphtoner
02-17-2012, 18:05
Enjoying some Pikesville and Handy I just picked up! :grin: :grin: :grin:

bad_scientist
02-17-2012, 18:17
Enjoying some Pikesville and Handy I just picked up! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wow, that's a big step up in proof, right?! What do you think of the Handy?

boneuphtoner
02-18-2012, 10:02
Wow, that's a big step up in proof, right?! What do you think of the Handy?

Although I still consider myself a relative newbie in becoming a real whiskey enthusiast, I don't think it is an understatement to say that the Handy is the best whiskey I've ever had by a long shot. I love the combination of the intense rye spice and the delicious anchoring honey notes. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

I tried the Baby Saz recently too (thanks for the tip!) and I like it equal to my two favorite bourbons, EC12 and ETL. All pale in comparison to the Handy though!

LostBottle
02-18-2012, 13:17
Although I still consider myself a relative newbie in becoming a real whiskey enthusiast, I don't think it is an understatement to say that the Handy is the best whiskey I've ever had by a long shot.

You have an astute palate, even seasoned vets give Handy a nod. Personally, while not a veteran, I have tried many ryes and bourbons and Handy still ranks in the upper echelon.

smokinjoe
02-20-2012, 19:53
A very productive day, thanks to Wisconsin. So, a Fleischmann's Rye is in order. The wonderful thing I am noticing from this Fleischmann's, as I get deeper into the bottle, is it has the most wonderfully clean, crisp, nose and flavor profile. Almost, like freshly laundered sheets that have been hung up to air dry on the clothes line in the back yard. It's not soapy or perfumy...just really...fresh. :yum: X 2

Beer&Bourbon
02-20-2012, 22:34
A very productive day, thanks to Wisconsin. So, a Fleischmann's Rye is in order. The wonderful thing I am noticing from this Fleischmann's, as I get deeper into the bottle, is it has the most wonderfully clean, crisp, nose and flavor profile. Almost, like freshly laundered sheets that have been hung up to air dry on the clothes line in the back yard. It's not soapy or perfumy...just really...fresh. :yum: X 2

I had a friend who was up in Madison look for Fleischmann's rye for me to no avail. Is this product distributed throughout WI? Any places to find it in Madison (she goes up there every few months or so)? Thanks.

Old Lamplighter
02-20-2012, 23:09
After a rough day, it's a KISS night for me....Bowman (TPS) 134.6

White Dog
02-21-2012, 08:08

It's crazy how good it is for an $18.99 80proof handle.:cool: :cool:

White Dog
02-21-2012, 08:11
I had a friend who was up in Madison look for Fleischmann's rye for me to no avail. Is this product distributed throughout WI? Any places to find it in Madison (she goes up there every few months or so)? Thanks.

You won't find this in Madison or Milwaukee. It seems to start in Sheboygan county and north up to Green Bay. And on shelf it's always next to Stephen Foster Rye, the 30-month-old 80proofer from HH. It's all very bizarre.:lol:

Old Lamplighter
02-21-2012, 09:50
You won't find this in Madison or Milwaukee. It seems to start in Sheboygan county and north up to Green Bay. And on shelf it's always next to Stephen Foster Rye, the 30-month-old 80proofer from HH. It's all very bizarre.:lol:

Somewhere in my foggy memory, it seems I read or heard where this is not available in the Southland. It has not kept me from searching for it though thru the years...no trace yet. I think it will take a trip into the northern latitudes to find some. If I am wrong, let me know....thanx!

White Dog
02-21-2012, 10:19
Somewhere in my foggy memory, it seems I read or heard where this is not available in the Southland. It has not kept me from searching for it though thru the years...no trace yet. I think it will take a trip into the northern latitudes to find some. If I am wrong, let me know....thanx!

Oddly, Fleischmann's Rye is only sold in certain parts of Wisconsin. It is not found in any other state, to the best of my knowledge.

Old Lamplighter
02-21-2012, 21:47
Ritt BIB at the moment soon to be followed by some more good ole Bowman from TPS. It was so very good last night, I see no reason to change the routine before the pillow beckons me.

jtexaslonestar
02-23-2012, 19:48
Had a pour of HW DR followed by a pour of the HW OMG. Love the DR!! The OMG is unlike anything i have tasted, jury is still out. The Hemingway is burning good with a pour of Double Rye! at the moment.

Old Lamplighter
02-24-2012, 21:07
Gonna have to give that HWDR a try. I am easing up on my harsh criticism of HW with a healthy pour of Rendezvous tonite. It is a little tastier than previous pours and seems to have better finish. Jury still out, but I am inching closer to giving HW some more rolls of the dice.

Anyhow, think I'll follow the normal Friday rye routine and chase the HW with some VWFRR. After that, I plan to come to the fork in the road with THH going one way, Bowman the other...we'll see when the time comes which road is best that leads to the beckoning pillow.:drink:

chefnash51
02-24-2012, 22:29
Finishing off my bottle of HW Rendezvous with a Healthy healthy pour. Enjoyed this bottle more and
more as it went.

greens
02-24-2012, 22:35
Ritt BIB this evening. Can't beat it for $20.

Gillman
02-25-2012, 06:06
Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary

T Comp
02-25-2012, 08:28
Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary

Gary, There was plenty being carried by enough retailers to indicate barrels were bottled. It looks like there on to releasing 5 year now at least from Party Source. I know other refined palates here who agree with you but I'm not one of them :bigeyes: :grin: . What's "BlueTide" note by the way?

Gillman
02-25-2012, 08:33
Thanks Thad. I'll get the barrel number from Gary of his bottle just for reference, since it was superlative. I meant a scent of sea breeze and soap, it's a light accent but I find it in every LDI rye I've had. This bottling seemed older than any I had earlier and accordingly the scent and taste were lighter, but still there, IMO.

By the way Gary and our tasting partner Les (both of whom have appeared at the odd Gazebo in recent years) agreed with me that the blending of this rye 50-50 with Les's current Lot B made an incredible dram.

Gary

bad_scientist
02-25-2012, 09:54
My Willett 5 year is from Barrel 58. TPS bottled from barrel 44. I hope they keep coming!

weller_tex
03-01-2012, 08:37
Willett 4 year 110 proof Rye from Spec's. A tiny splash of water or 1 ice cube and I am good to go!

clingman71
03-04-2012, 17:16
I've been enjoying WT101 Rye since getting the last two at a local store yesterday. Today I tried mixing WT101 5:2:1 with VWFRR and water. I like this mixture but will play with the ratio a bit. The VW adds just a little wood to the brash youth of the WT.

AaronWF
03-04-2012, 17:45
Today I tried mixing WT101 5:2:1 with VWFRR and water.

I find myself scratching my head and spitting out wads of the bile I just puked up in my mouth after reading this. I am astounded that anyone would think to mix VWFRR with anything, let alone a 4 year old WTR.

I'll allow that I did have a bottle of VWFRR which was clearly a dud, so if that's the case with your bottle, more power to your mixing. If it's anything like the last two bottles I had from the 2011 allocation, however, my only recourse is to :banghead:

White Dog
03-04-2012, 18:24
I find myself scratching my head and spitting out wads of the bile I just puked up in my mouth after reading this. I am astounded that anyone would think to mix VWFRR with anything, let alone a 4 year old WTR.

I'll allow that I did have a bottle of VWFRR which was clearly a dud, so if that's the case with your bottle, more power to your mixing. If it's anything like the last two bottles I had from the 2011 allocation, however, my only recourse is to :banghead:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I must say that I agree with you. While I've never had a dud VWFRR, even if I did I can't imagine doing this.

mosugoji64
03-04-2012, 18:30
Willett 3yr. Definitely taste the LDI character, but more rounded and sweeter than Bulleit. I'm getting a little dill on the finish, but it's not overpowering and just pops up enough to impart a charming character. Glad my wife decided to grab this one. She's a keeper! :grin:

clingman71
03-04-2012, 19:06

This bottle was not a dud, just down to the last little bit. I got to the last pour of my bottle and filled a 50ml glass bottle that I use to keep valued "last pours". There was about 10 ml left over that didn't fit into the small bottle, and was not really enough for a pour of it's own. So I vatted 25 ml WT, 10 ml VW, and 5 ml water. Everytime I try a blend of something, I write down the particulars. When my next bottle of VWFRR gets to the same place, I will try something along the same lines with a slightly different ratio. Don't get yourself in a panic, it was 10ml we are talking about. Not all blend/vattings are bottles, sometimes its simply a few drops of something. These small amount blends are a unique opportunuty to try things you may not normally try.

tommyboy38
03-04-2012, 20:42
I like to mix my VWFRR with Red Bull.

mosugoji64
03-04-2012, 21:00
I like to mix my VWFRR with Red Bull.

Van Winkle gives you wings!

:slappin::slappin::lol::lol::slappin::slappin:

Beer&Bourbon
03-04-2012, 21:08
I also can't imagine blending VWFRR with anything else. Nectar of the gods diluted in anything else just gets you less to enjoy.

I poured some WT101 rye and Bulleit rye tonight to see if I should go out to pick up a bunch of WTR before they're gone for good.

The bulleit smells better out of the bottle: nice spice with a floral character, some mint, and a bit of grassiness. It actually reminds me of HH products. As it sits an herbal character starts to really develop.

The Wild turkey doesn't smell integrated in the bottle. It smells like rye whiskey mixed with corn whiskey with little integration. After some time in the glass the aroma melds a bit leaving a corn sweetness on top of a touch of grassiness. While I like corn whiskey, the corn is a bit too dominant here for my nose.

In the mouth, the spice comes across more in the bulleit than the WTR. There's a bit of sweetness in the bulleit that helps to balance the spice, but not nearly as much as the WTR.

The WTR seems more viscous on the tongue.

Overall I prefer the Bulleit rye which surprises me a bit. I like the higher proof of the WTR, which has led to its abundant use in cocktails in the house. I've got a few bottles put away, but it seems like I'll just look for some more high proof LDI rye.

Later this week I'll compare the WTR to Ritt BiB to see how the high proofs stack up.

SeaninSD
03-04-2012, 21:15
I'm comparing 1 oz pours of WT 101 Rye vs. Riit BIB rye. I've had the Ritt before, but hadn't tried the WTR until the "rush" on the board here. I think I Ritt better so far, but will post results 2 oz's from now. :grin:

Brisko
03-04-2012, 21:36
Sipping on a recent Baby Saz. I think it may be better at 90 proof than my '10 Handy is, cut to the same proof.

bad_scientist
03-05-2012, 07:23
I'm comparing 1 oz pours of WT 101 Rye vs. Riit BIB rye. I've had the Ritt before, but hadn't tried the WTR until the "rush" on the board here. I think I Ritt better so far, but will post results 2 oz's from now. :grin:

Ahem... and the verdict is? Can you include some tasting notes, too?

scubadoo97
03-08-2012, 16:49
Been enjoying both the 4 and 5 YO Willett rye as well as some WT 101 rye

clingman71
03-08-2012, 19:20
I've been drinking the WT 101 almost everynight lately. I find many ryes to be too "thin", making the spice seem unbalanced. This is not the case with WT. Also, I've been drinking it with a small splash of water from a rocks glass instead of a Riedel or Glencairn. After about ten minutes in the glass, I pick up a sort of cream and brown sugar thing along with the spice that I don't in my normal tasting glass. I feel like its a drinking whiskey vs tasting whiskey if that makes any sense, and very enjoyable indeed.

cbus
03-09-2012, 23:05
Had some 2011 Handy while watching X pull out another squeaker against Dayton. Onwards!

BFerguson
03-12-2012, 18:59
Ritt BIB tonight. My taste is a bit off from congestion, but it is still tasting fine tonight.

Bmac
03-12-2012, 21:14
I recently cracked open my RH BIB and THH. They have such different tastes. Obviously the RH is smoother,but the THH has alot of flavor.

It still doesnt compare to PVFR Rye. I got spoiled because it was my first rye whiskey. I have been comparing to that ever since.

cbus
03-12-2012, 21:33
Ritt BIB tonight. Good, solid pour. Also, I recently discovered that they have this stuff coming out their ears around St. Louis. Makes me jealous.

Tucker
03-16-2012, 20:00
Picked up a baby Saz today. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this.

jtexaslonestar
03-16-2012, 20:20
I finished off my HW Double Rye! tonight. Enjoyed that bottle very much. Now on to a Ritt BIB or a Handy.

weller_tex
03-20-2012, 12:03
Can't get the HW products in Texas, but I had some Double Rye while working in New Mexico last year (mail ordering liquor is a nice thing)..I like the Double Rye but I think the Bulleit is just as good. I understand HW is now distilling their own rye. Hopefully we will see some aged rye in a few years from them.

mrviognier
03-20-2012, 21:32
While you may not have been able to find our products in the Lone Star State you soon will! We just appointed a distributor, and their first orders ship within the next week.

mrviognier
03-20-2012, 21:33
Picked up a baby Saz today. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this.

Saw boatloads of it down in New Orleans last week...$21.99. :bigeyes:

yountvillewjs
03-21-2012, 07:27
Saw boatloads of it down in New Orleans last week...$21.99. :bigeyes:

I saw it at what I always thought was a reasonable local shop for $29.99 this week. :shocked:

sailor22
03-21-2012, 19:55
Started with a Saz 18 and then a pour of Handy. There was nothing broken in either glass.

smokinjoe
03-21-2012, 20:28
TH Handy to finish things out. Man, I always love this whiskey. But, at times like now, it is simply Nirvana. :yum:

Tico
03-21-2012, 20:29
A pour of VWFR Rye from the most recent release

Amaizing stuff, I'm speachless!

AaronWF
03-21-2012, 20:49
I'm really hitting a stride with the HW 16yo Rocky Mountain Rye. The spice kicks you in the ass, but the more delicate flavors are easy to overlook. When I decide to do a formal tasting, I set aside a good 30 minutes to do nothing but look at, smell and taste a whiskey, and put pen to paper. When I'm drinking more casually I pay attention to the taste, but I'm usually doing something else at the same time that distracts me a bit from what's in the glass. Thinking a taste through all the way to a written conclusion, while not always the most laid back affair, allows me to draw pleasure from a good whiskey that I might overlook if I was involved with another activity.

But anyway, right now I'm appreciating this 80% rye more than ever before.

BMartin42
03-21-2012, 23:05
More and more a fan of Baby Saz every time I try it. Delicious. And didn't feel bad about opening one since there are now several in the bunker. No question in my mind it is my favorite rye. Better than WT, RITT, Jeffersons, etc. Handy can give it a run, but honestly considering the prices here, I can get 3 baby Saz for the price of an 18 at the same proof. Give me the baby Saz as far as I'm concerned!!!

liquidity
03-22-2012, 22:33
I'm really hitting a stride with the HW 16yo Rocky Mountain Rye.

My favorite spirit of any kind. Wunderbar.

AaronWF
03-24-2012, 11:14
A highlight for me at WhiskyFest last night was having a chat with David Perkins. He was super-friendly and personable. The 21-year old rye he was pouring was, of course, excellent, and I got to taste their barreled manhattan, which was good, but would have been better if it was chilled.

I also got to taste the Son of Bourye. It was much more integrated than how I remember the Bourye. The Bourye tasted like a bourbon and a rye with a wall between them. SoB tastes more like just one whiskey.

I think I'm going to have to make it a point to pick up a bottle of the Bourye before there aren't any more left.

I also had a chance to meet MrViognier. Great to see you Mat!

mrviognier
03-24-2012, 12:46
Great to meet you, too!

Neat
03-24-2012, 13:49
While you may not have been able to find our products in the Lone Star State you soon will! We just appointed a distributor, and their first orders ship within the next week.

this is GREAT news! :grin: i take it the distributor is republic?

unclebunk
03-25-2012, 12:54
Old Potrero last night, Saz 18 tonight.

LostBottle
04-01-2012, 22:39
Which Old Potrero rye do you like the best? I have limited experience with the label, but may have to take a tour of the distillery next time I am in San Francisco and fix this problem.

mrviognier
04-02-2012, 09:14
this is GREAT news! :grin: i take it the distributor is republic?

Nope...but a wholesaler started by ex-Republic folks: Pioneer Wine Co. The product should be hitting shelves soon...please let me know when you see it!

unclebunk
04-02-2012, 10:39
Which Old Potrero rye do you like the best? I have limited experience with the label, but may have to take a tour of the distillery next time I am in San Francisco and fix this problem.

I've only ever owned one bottle which is not in front of me, so I can't remember the "essay," though I know it ended in the letter "A." I really like the stuff but a few friends described it as merely "pleasant" and "too refined." Perhaps if it were stronger than 90 proof it would have more zing but I'm enjoying it just the same.