PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Louisville

turtle
01-10-2012, 19:36
Greetings! Just joined the forum. Long time wine drinker, fairly new to bourbon. I tried bourbon and Coke several years ago and hated it. Finally tried bourbon neat and loved it! Haven't tried very many different ones yet, so I'm interested in suggestions. Have looked through the forum some and read some suggestions there for newbies about how to learn about bourbon. Of what I've tried so far, I like Buffalo Trace the best.

Living in Louisville, Kentucky, I've heard there's some great bourbon in the area. :) As far as where to buy, saw some stores in Louisville in this forum, and someone recently told me about Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville, whose web site says they stock 150 different bourbons. Looks like my work is cut out for me.

Michael T

Ejmharris
01-10-2012, 20:05
Greetings! Just joined the forum. Long time wine drinker, fairly new to bourbon. I tried bourbon and Coke several years ago and hated it. Finally tried bourbon neat and loved it! Haven't tried very many different ones yet, so I'm interested in suggestions. Have looked through the forum some and read some suggestions there for newbies about how to learn about bourbon. Of what I've tried so far, I like Buffalo Trace the best.

Living in Louisville, Kentucky, I've heard there's some great bourbon in the area. :) As far as where to buy, saw some stores in Louisville in this forum, and someone recently told me about Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville, whose web site says they stock 150 different bourbons. Looks like my work is cut out for me.

Michael T

Welcome Michael, from another Michael. You are in the bourbon heartland so enjoy.

From another fairly newbie, do some tastings between wheated bourbons and rye bourbons. The price ranges are all over the place so start lower and make your way up. Just like you can find some $10 wines that are gems you can find some lower end bourbons that are also fantastic. Don't jump full fledge onto the Van Winkle train and drive yourself crazy trying to find it. I have been very guilty of it. A couple of wheat recommendations are Old Weller Antique 107 and Weller 12. There are many many rye options! Check out something from four roses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtle
01-11-2012, 04:39
Welcome Michael, from another Michael. You are in the bourbon heartland so enjoy.

From another fairly newbie, do some tastings between wheated bourbons and rye bourbons. The price ranges are all over the place so start lower and make your way up. Just like you can find some $10 wines that are gems you can find some lower end bourbons that are also fantastic. Don't jump full fledge onto the Van Winkle train and drive yourself crazy trying to find it. I have been very guilty of it. A couple of wheat recommendations are Old Weller Antique 107 and Weller 12. There are many many rye options! Check out something from four roses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like excellent advice. It's good to know there's some great lower priced bourbon like there is wine. I'll try your recommended wheated bourbons to help me learn how to compare. I'm starting to taste some differences in the few rye ones I've tried and like the variety of them. I'd like to learn to be able to describe what flavors I'm tasting.
Michael T

Tony
01-11-2012, 06:08
Howdy Michael and welcome from up in Michigan.

You already have some good suggestions in here but I would add given your location maybe tour some of the distilleries and do some tastings. This way you get to learn more and try some for free.

Best regards, tony

turtle
01-11-2012, 09:51
Howdy Michael and welcome from up in Michigan.

You already have some good suggestions in here but I would add given your location maybe tour some of the distilleries and do some tastings. This way you get to learn more and try some for free.

Best regards, tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the welcome and tour suggestion. Found some good distillery tour info online, thanks to your suggestion.
Michael T