PDA

View Full Version : What bottle is falling short of expectations?

JayMonster
01-12-2012, 15:33
What have you had recently that fell short of your expectations?

I don't mean things you do not like, but something you were expecting to likelq, that came up short. That brand you have relied on for years that somehow now is lacking, or that recommendation that just didn't do it for you.

For me, it was the seemingly highly regarded (around here anyway), Evan Williams Black. It wasn't bad, per se... But I was definitely disappointed. I know I had read that HH products had a "mint" taste, but that it seems is an understatement. It was like an Altoids (curiously strong) mint at the start, and the combination of mint and a young wood taste combined to remind me of those mint toothpicks you might find at a diner.. Am going to let it sit for a while and try again, but in the meantime it has me thinking twice about trying anything from HH.

So what has left you cold lately?

Old Lamplighter
01-12-2012, 16:03
High West Rendezvous Rye is my latest one...well, really the only one over the course of the last year or so. From everything I had read here, I knew going in that it was going to be different from the usual rye experience. However, just too different for me. Not a necessarily a bad rye...just too different for my palate. If I could use one word to describe it, ''weak" is what first comes to mind. Of course, I am holding it up against some pretty stiff competition: VWFRR, THH, & Ritt BIB to name a few of late.

StraightNoChaser
01-12-2012, 16:07
The new PVW15 was pretty disappointing. We compared it to the 09 bottling and it was like night and day.

bad_scientist
01-12-2012, 16:10
The new PVW15 was pretty disappointing. We compared it to the 09 bottling and it was like night and day.

To my taste, WLW is better than the new PVW15, but 2 months after opening, the PVW is closing the gap. I get a lot of stuff, like strawberries, that I didn't get at first.

Tico
01-12-2012, 17:01

+1

The 2011 has some noticeable heat and that red hot thing going on that I don't get out of the 2009.

ratcheer
01-12-2012, 17:28
As I mentioned in another thread a week or so ago, the latest Wild Turkey 101 tastes thin and harsh compared to my expectations, which were set decades ago. The actual flavor is still good. But this whiskey used to be rich and buttery smooth on the palate.

IMHO, WT 101 was premium bourbon in the 60's and 70's, and on into the 80's. These days, I think I would rank it near the bottom of the middle shelf.

Tim

the Duff
01-12-2012, 19:10
I tried a friends bottle of RHF and was floored. Lots of sweetness and green apple candy. Just a great pour.

Then I bought one.. not good. Just way too bitter. I don't see how there can be any type of flavor profile to this label if one bottle is great and the next is awful. I understand that single barrel bourbons can be a little different bottle to bottle but this was crazy. If I ever buy another one it will be a retailer's hand selected.

I think it was Josh talking up McScrooge's?

Bourbon Boiler
01-12-2012, 19:14
I'll get crucified for this, but GTS. I've not had it before, and maybe it's my inability to get past the high proof, but I expected more based on the reviews.

clingman71
01-12-2012, 19:24
I'll get crucified for this, but GTS. I've not had it before, and maybe it's my inability to get past the high proof, but I expected more based on the reviews.

I've thought the same about mine at times, and other times it has been fantastic. I struggle with the high proof and find that getting the ratio of water just right is crucial. I think I have to be in a certain mood to really enjoy GTS, and when I'm not it just overwhelms the palette.

Gillman
01-12-2012, 19:41
Good thread. I found Tim`s notes on WT 101 very interesting for example.

Gary

White Dog
01-12-2012, 19:50
While I'm a fan of many BT products, including the actual BT label, I always hate ER10. I mean, I hate it. Insipid. I wanna like it, given the fact that it's a 10yr for only $20.

Like BT, love GTS, hate ER.

That said, I generally prefer their higher Rye and Wheated Bourbon recipes. Oh well.

Parkersback
01-12-2012, 20:04
I've thought the same about mine at times, and other times it has been fantastic. I struggle with the high proof and find that getting the ratio of water just right is crucial. I think I have to be in a certain mood to really enjoy GTS, and when I'm not it just overwhelms the palette.

Yeah, me three, basically. I don't dislike GTS, but I'm really not that much of a fan, either. I bought a bottle of the 2010, but I'll probably never buy one again.

I always feel like having a drink of GTS is a task: measure out the bourbon, get the distilled water, etc. Do some stretches. Give myself a pep talk in the mirror.

Then there's the actual taste, which to my palette has too much wood. It's astringent and hot on the finish, even with the proof lowered.

CADMixes
01-12-2012, 20:14
ER10 is a good answer....just a shockingly uninteresting pour given its age and the fact that it's a single barrel.

EC18 is another one. I don't know exactly what I was expecting but while it's not bad, it feels deadened by age to me. I know there is a lot of variability barrel to barrel though.

speedbump47
01-12-2012, 20:26
Angel's Envy was one I had high hopes for, but didn't like all that much.

Black Maple Hill wasn't to my taste either.

This being the first year I've had Pappy, if 2011 is a let down, I'm sure 2009 would have blown my mind. :bigeyes:

White Dog
01-12-2012, 20:27
Angel's Envy was one I had high hopes for, but didn't like all that much.

Black Maple Hill wasn't to my taste either.

This being the first year I've had Pappy, if 2011 is a let down, I'm sure 2009 would have blown my mind. :bigeyes:

Which BMH? There are many.

speedbump47
01-12-2012, 20:36
Which BMH? There are many.

Sorry; the Small batch (95 proof); didn't have the coin to get the 16 or 20+ year expressions. Whichever one was sub $40.

jeanraulmitchell
01-12-2012, 21:11
I was very disappointed in the one bottle of ORVW107 from 2011 fall allocation. It was my main go to pour. The one I didn't regret drinking all of it until I got down to the last two or three glasses left in the bottle.

I'd agree about GTS, it is a "task" when drinking although I never put water in bourbon but I just don't like feeling like I have a hangover in 20 minutes. I had a friend call it "bat shit".

T Comp
01-12-2012, 21:25
While I'm a fan of many BT products, including the actual BT label, I always hate ER10. I mean, I hate it. Insipid. I wanna like it, given the fact that it's a 10yr for only $20.

Like BT, love GTS, hate ER.

That said, I generally prefer their higher Rye and Wheated Bourbon recipes. Oh well.

ER10 is a good answer....just a shockingly uninteresting pour given its age and the fact that it's a single barrel.

EC18 is another one. I don't know exactly what I was expecting but while it's not bad, it feels deadened by age to me. I know there is a lot of variability barrel to barrel though.

Well you guys are affirming my choice of having not bought an ER 10 since '07.

As to the EC 18, I was recently revisiting, a Binny's 5/15/ '92 distilled, which is the first one I ever really liked. No doubt about it though, there is a real absence of any aged barrel sweetness to go along with the wood. That dryness, even without the soot taste that plagues other EC 18's, but not this one, can still be difficult.

Chris24
01-12-2012, 21:34
Masterson's 10 year rye. I tried it at a bar and recall liking it. I saw the bottle in the store and thought what the hell. I do like Whistle Pig, but I don't think that's a "Canadian" rye like Masterson's is.

nivto
01-12-2012, 23:44
Yeah, me three, basically. I don't dislike GTS, but I'm really not that much of a fan, either. I bought a bottle of the 2010, but I'll probably never buy one again.

I always feel like having a drink of GTS is a task: measure out the bourbon, get the distilled water, etc. Do some stretches. Give myself a pep talk in the mirror.

Then there's the actual taste, which to my palette has too much wood. It's astringent and hot on the finish, even with the proof lowered.

My suggestion... if you have an empty 200 or 375 ml bottle laying around, dilute your Stagg to 115 proof in that bottle. Don't pour from it right away. Just let it sit for a few weeks. After some time goes by have a pour and see what you think. Your opinion may change.

mosugoji64
01-13-2012, 02:28
I was very disappointed in the one bottle of ORVW107 from 2011 fall allocation. It was my main go to pour. The one I didn't regret drinking all of it until I got down to the last two or three glasses left in the bottle.

I was disappointed with my first pour from that one as well. But I went back to it yesterday after the bottle being open for a few weeks and it has improved. Still not quite up to the Spring release, but it's getting there.

mosugoji64
01-13-2012, 02:30
CNB selection of ETL. The flavor is good, but it's very thin. The texture is very watery and leaves me disappointed every time.

clingman71
01-13-2012, 04:20
CNB selection of ETL. The flavor is good, but it's very thin. The texture is very watery and leaves me disappointed every time.

Which # CnB selection?

bad_scientist
01-13-2012, 05:34

I could say the same thing about both ETL standard bottlings that I've enjoyed. Love the taste, but I don't know if I'll be getting another one.

For me, the biggest disappointment recently was the THH. I had heard it was a "rye-splosion!!!!" but it just tasted really, really sweet to me. Underneath all of that was some rye, but the sweetness overpowered it.

BigRich
01-13-2012, 05:47
2011 4R LE Single Barrel. It just didn't seem to have it this year. The Small Batch release kicked its ass.

AaronWF
01-13-2012, 07:53
I'm surprised at the GTS disappointment that's been voiced. I hope you're not stubbornly refusing to add water, because it makes all the difference in the world.

I loved Binny's '09 barrels of ER1B10, but every bottle I've bought since has been pretty bland.

I thought RR Rye 6yr was pretty yuck.

I've been let down by the entire Weller line recently, though my bottle of OWA that's been open for a number of months is getting better for sure, and it's been a few years since I've cracked a 12yr. I was a big fan of the 2010 WLW, but I'm not digging the 2011.

I find the 2011 Pappy15 to be better than but similar to the 2011 WLW, and definitely lacking the texture and complexity of the 09 Pappy15.

Special Reserve
01-13-2012, 08:08
Disappointment with GTS? Could it be that the expectations are too high?

I have not had all the GTS offerings, those that I have had are impressive pours.

CaptainQ
01-13-2012, 09:25
Masterson's 10 year rye. I tried it at a bar and recall liking it. I saw the bottle in the store and thought what the hell. I do like Whistle Pig, but I don't think that's a "Canadian" rye like Masterson's is.

Chris, Whistle Pig is distilled in Canada, says so right on the label in tiny print.

Gentleman Racer
01-13-2012, 10:15
High West Rendezvous Rye is my latest one...well, really the only one over the course of the last year or so. From everything I had read here, I knew going in that it was going to be different from the usual rye experience. However, just too different for me. Not a necessarily a bad rye...just too different for my palate. If I could use one word to describe it, ''weak" is what first comes to mind. Of course, I am holding it up against some pretty stiff competition: VWFRR, THH, & Ritt BIB to name a few of late.

Testify! I looked forward to trying this and just found it, also, weak.

JayMonster
01-13-2012, 11:00

I have not had all the GTS offerings, those that I have had are impressive pours.

I think that can certainly can be the case... Not just for GTS, but any brand that develops a certain stature. Reading these threads, I would never dream that anybody could have a less than glowing love for all things Pappy or (to a less extent) Eagle Rare, or several other brands. And maybe they are still good, but perhaps expectations get too high when all you see are the raves.

Rockefeller
01-13-2012, 11:07
PVW20. I found it to be very tannic and woody.

Parkersback
01-13-2012, 11:32
I'm surprised at the GTS disappointment that's been voiced. I hope you're not stubbornly refusing to add water, because it makes all the difference in the world.

No, I do add water. It just hasn't set right with me, at least not yet. But I just took the suggestion above of diluting down in the bottle--I took it all the way to 100--and waiting on it a bit. We'll see.

angler82
01-13-2012, 11:45
I had high expectations for the Single Oak Project and some of the BT Experimentals. I get that they're unique but I'm pissed for paying $55-60 a 375.

A couple months back I bought a Single Oak Project bottle instead of a Parker's Heritage Cognac finished. Dumb mistake.

jcg9779
01-13-2012, 11:48
I've been let down by the entire Weller line recently, though my bottle of OWA that's been open for a number of months is getting better for sure, and it's been a few years since I've cracked a 12yr. I was a big fan of the 2010 WLW, but I'm not digging the 2011.

I've posted a few times that OWA and WSR have been pretty thin tasting to me lately (the OWA was the age-stated version, and both were the older paper label). A spash of WLW helped round out both.

nivto
01-13-2012, 12:03
2011 4R LE Single Barrel. It just didn't seem to have it this year. The Small Batch release kicked its ass.

Other way around for me. I really enjoy the 2011 SB, but was disappointed a bit with the 2011 SmB when I had a pour of it for the first time the other week. It's definitely less of an odd ball than the SB, but I didn't love what it had to offer. Not my favorite expression from FR based off that pour.

mosugoji64
01-13-2012, 12:19
Which # CnB selection?

#18. Doesn't taste bad, but so thin that I FEEL like something's missing.

gblick
01-13-2012, 12:25
I've posted a few times that OWA and WSR have been pretty thin tasting to me lately (the OWA was the age-stated version, and both were the older paper label). A spash of WLW helped round out both.Jack, I'm a huge fan of OWA, but I think the last two years of the age-stated 7yo (just before they went NAS) weren't up to par. I've only had a couple of bottles of the NAS OWA, but IMO it was an improvement compared to the two previous years.

I finally got around to trying the EWB (bought a 200ml a few weeks ago), and I was unimpressed. I also didn't care much for the EWSB, I think it was a 1993. To be honest, none of HH's offering that I've tried have grabbed me, except for the PHC'10 and the Cadenheads that Leif brought to Randy's. I was gifted a bottle of EC18 that I thought was ok but not enough to buy again (for the price).

hectic1
01-13-2012, 12:27
I've posted a few times that OWA and WSR have been pretty thin tasting to me lately (the OWA was the age-stated version, and both were the older paper label). A spash of WLW helped round out both.
Couldn't be due to all the barrel proof uncut bourbon's that you've been pouring of late could it? :rolleyes: :D

I've been disapointed by number of the recent GTS(2009/10) and WLW's(2009) in the past couple years as I found them to be extremely hot and the pallet and nose. I've had multiple bottles of barrel proofs that are just as high from a ABV% and they have absolutely intoxicating noses and can be drank neat without feeling like you're stripping the taste buds off your tongue! :(

hectic1
01-13-2012, 12:29
Jack, I'm a huge fan of OWA, but I think the last two years of the age-stated 7yo (just before they went NAS) weren't up to par. I've only had a couple of bottles of the NAS OWA, but IMO it was an improvement compared to the two previous years.
Gus, I'm coming in town on Monday night and Randy, Wade, and I are gonna grab some dinner...you around?

gblick
01-13-2012, 12:34
Gus, I'm coming in town on Monday night and Randy, Wade, and I are gonna grab some dinner...you around?I'll see if I can make it, I still have this small bottle of Old Ezra 15/101 I've been holding for you. Where and what time?

BMartin42
01-13-2012, 12:42
Really disappointed in my first bottle of Ritt rye BIB. Its not that it is bad at all, it just doesn't have the wow factor that I expected. Maybe after listening to all the praise it receives on here I was just expecting too much from an $18 bottle. I'm gonna give it a week or two and then go back to it with altered expectations and see what I think.

drunk
01-13-2012, 13:01

Some people pull their hair out tracking this stuff down, and you worry about adding water to it? :grin: C'mon man!

AaronWF
01-13-2012, 13:16
No, I do add water. It just hasn't set right with me, at least not yet. But I just took the suggestion above of diluting down in the bottle--I took it all the way to 100--and waiting on it a bit. We'll see.

Have you visited Buffalo Trace? From nose through finish, the Stagg completely transports me to their barrel-aging warehouses, in the most satisfying way.

Other way around for me. I really enjoy the 2011 SB, but was disappointed a bit with the 2011 SmB when I had a pour of it for the first time the other week. It's definitely less of an odd ball than the SB, but I didn't love what it had to offer. Not my favorite expression from FR based off that pour.

Give that one some weeks to open up. After being open for a good 2-3 weeks, I'm getting the most divine honeyed fruit from it. I'm a big fan of the 2011 LE1B as well.

Really disappointed in my first bottle of Ritt rye BIB. Its not that it is bad at all, it just doesn't have the wow factor that I expected. Maybe after listening to all the praise it receives on here I was just expecting too much from an $18 bottle. I'm gonna give it a week or two and then go back to it with altered expectations and see what I think.

I think you were expecting too much. For me, the wow factor with Ritt is that it's tasty, high quality, and about $20; perfect for some absent-minded tossing back.

woodisgood
01-13-2012, 13:18

My first few drinks from the PVW15 2011 were wonderful but I felt it didn't quite match up to the previous bottlings. I let it sit for almost five weeks. Then, lo and behold, the air in the bottle must have done something because a few nights ago my latest pour was fantastic. I'm probably going to open another bottle so it's "ready" for me in a few weeks.

My latest disappointment has been the GTS 2011; the finish just doesn't last long for me like previous years, even after playing with various amounts of dilution. It's an okay pour, but doesn't hold a candle to 2010.

bad_scientist
01-13-2012, 14:05

The first few pours for me were boring, just corn and cherries. After a week or so, it got to tasting better. Now I keep it in my freezer to chill it without diluting it, and it is fantastic. Lots more spices than I got at first. I don't know if it's the cold, the air exposure, or both, but I struggle to drink anything else because it's all I can think about :)

White Dog
01-13-2012, 15:41

One of the main reasons RittBIB is so good, is that JB/OO Rye is so bad.:lol:

MarkEdwards
01-13-2012, 17:24

I've always had the GTS unwatered and found it to be absolutely amazing at full proof.

clingman71
01-13-2012, 17:40
I've always had the GTS unwatered and found it to be absolutely amazing at full proof.

I had my first taste of GTS neat, I felt like I was going to burst into flames. Again, I think the ratio of water is crucial, enough to make it drinkable, but not so much as it loses its "Staggness".

yountvillewjs
01-13-2012, 17:42

Acquired taste for sure, but I have it and agree.

Tucker
01-13-2012, 18:06

I have to agree, although I'm about half way through my 2011 single barrel and it's improving. Gone is the overwhelming C2H5OH and I'm beginning to appreciate it more.

jcg9779
01-13-2012, 19:31
Couldn't be due to all the barrel proof uncut bourbon's that you've been pouring of late could it? :rolleyes: :D

You do have a point there....

JayMonster
01-14-2012, 07:20
I hate to do this, because I just found it and loved my first bottle, but my second bottle of Buffalo Trace just started out somewhat disappointing. It had a very peaty, almost grassy taste and little of the sweet dried fruit and other flavors of my first bottle.

I know I had seen a couple of threads with people saying similar, but had chalked it up to different tastes, but now wondering if it is more about inconsistencies.

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 07:28
I hate to do this, because I just found it and loved my first bottle, but my second bottle of Buffalo Trace just started out somewhat disappointing. It had a very peaty, almost grassy taste and little of the sweet dried fruit and other flavors of my first bottle.

I know I had seen a couple of threads with people saying similar, but had chalked it up to different tastes, but now wondering if it is more about inconsistencies.

I know I will catch some cornbread hell for it, but, cannot resist chiming in here on BT. It has been at least 3 years since I last got any. Your tasting notes as well as few previous ones are exactly what I experienced. It has always been a given that BT is around 9yo - but the 2-3 bottles I tried before 'throwing in the towel' were much younger to my palate. I would add the word 'wild' to grassy, peaty, and earthy.

CaptainQ
01-14-2012, 08:53
2010 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I expected great things from this bottle after hearing all the praise on here. It was my first tasting of the BB series and I thought it was terrible. :puke: Just couldn't like it, very funky flavors. I like the OF 100 proof stuff for a lower end bourbon. Won't buy another OFBB.

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 08:55
2010 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I expected great things from this bottle after hearing all the praise on here. It was my first tasting of the BB series and I thought it was terrible. :puke: Just couldn't like it, very funky flavors. I like the OF 100 proof stuff for a lower end bourbon. Won't buy another OFBB.

I got one of these in the bunker....maybe I wait a while to open - or, open it and let it sit a year.

AaronWF
01-14-2012, 10:16
2010 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I expected great things from this bottle after hearing all the praise on here. It was my first tasting of the BB series and I thought it was terrible. :puke: Just couldn't like it, very funky flavors.

Give it time. Like most bourbons, it opens up after a few weeks. My experience with both bottles of the 2010 I've gone through was pretty consistent: bitter oak and brown sugar in perfect harmony. It's a bit subdued and not very complex, but every flavor has an answer and I love it for the price. I hope your bottle comes around! (Or you come around to your bottle!)

ethangsmith
01-14-2012, 10:30
1. Evan Williams 1783- Seemed bitter and boring.
2. Booker's- Started off good but just got too hot with too little flavor.
3. Eagle Rare 10- Yuck in many ways. Totally boring.
4. Wathen's- Not bad, but has some funky flavors. Like a bad barrel of ETL.
5. Wild Turkey 80- I see why it's being replaced by 81!
6. Four Roses small batch- Too busy and not excelling in anything.

T Comp
01-14-2012, 11:03

I haven't had the pleasure of the '10 OFBB but I thought this would be as good a time as any to mention our own Sku's recent blog entry on "Why does Brown Forman suck so much" as an interesting read and along the lines of this thread. http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-does-brown-forman-suck-so-much.html

I pretty much agree with the exception of the '07 OFBB that IMHO was special.

nivto
01-14-2012, 11:26
I haven't had the pleasure of the '10 OFBB but I thought this would be as good a time as any to mention our own Sku's recent blog entry on "Why does Brown Forman suck so much" as an interesting read and along the lines of this thread. http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-does-brown-forman-suck-so-much.html

I pretty much agree with the exception of the '07 OFBB that IMHO was special.

there's also that certain series of barrels that get bottled under the Willett name... that is pretty spectacular current day BF... what the hell is that all about??

T Comp
01-14-2012, 11:49
there's also that certain series of barrels that get bottled under the Willett name... that is pretty spectacular current day BF... what the hell is that all about??

Right...ain't that the truth...it is an enigma.

Josh
01-14-2012, 13:01
I think it was Josh talking up McScrooge's?

I really like the Kahn's RHF as does Deen_Sheen. It's $10 cheaper there than here, which is a nice bonus.

clingman71
01-14-2012, 13:50
#18. Doesn't taste bad, but so thin that I FEEL like something's missing.

I have an unopened bottle #18. Hmmm. I just finished #3, halfway through #15, both are excellent. I just opened #17 and haven't had enough yet to really give an educated opinion. Anyone have any thoughts on the Binnys's ETL vs CnB ETL? I'll be in Naperville early next week.

bad_scientist
01-14-2012, 17:54

I had a TPS Willett 8 year, #374. From what I've read, it was BF. It was all wine, barley, and rye. Very distinctive! They're doing something over there that's unlike other bourbons. Not necessarily BETTER, but I enjoyed that bottle and I appreciate what they're doing with WR, even though I don't like it myself. Sku debases the distiller, but I have seen them do extremely experimental stuff, stuff it seems they're afraid to release, but somebody there is doing something creative.

To clarify, I can't stand the official BF stuff. I just don't like to see somebody b-tching about a very successful distiller that experiments when there is no impetus to.

ebo
01-14-2012, 19:48
For me, it would be FR Yellow Label. I didn't expect anything earth shattering for an inexpensive 80 proof bourbon, but I sure didn't expect it to be so bland, boring, blase' and just plain..... nothing.

I love FR bourbon, but I'll never buy another bottle of Yellow Label.

Bourbon Boiler
01-15-2012, 05:47

Very high expectations were probably a very big part of my disappointment. High rye and high proof, great reviews on SB.com, it should have been perfect!

Phil T
01-15-2012, 06:30
For me, it would be FR Yellow Label. I didn't expect anything earth shattering for an inexpensive 80 proof bourbon, but I sure didn't expect it to be so bland, boring, blase' and just plain..... nothing.

My thoughts exactly about yellow label. Four Roses does an amazing job with LE'S and SB'S , hard to believe they make yellow label also. Of the 7 or 8 budget bourbons I drink, this one gets the least amount of love

mrviognier
01-15-2012, 10:28
I've never been impressed with the yellow label, but recently went back to a half-full bottle that's been sitting on my bar for 6mos or so. Was pleasantly surprised when I revisited it.

Of course, it could be attributable to low expectations, but I enjoyed it more than any other 4R YL experience.

kyrocklover
01-16-2012, 06:05
This bottle of Wathen's has been a big dissapointment. Seems very thin and lacking in nose and palate. Very different from all previous bottles I have had.

TheDude
02-22-2012, 20:43
Black Maple Hill....has a strong alchohol aftertaste that ruins some really nice initial sweetness. It wasn't a cheap bottle, so I guess I expected a little more.

mrviognier
02-23-2012, 04:56
IMHO, BMH stopped being a "must" buy when they ran out of Julian Van Winkle supplied juice. Don't know where they're sourcing it now, but it's a shadow of a shadow of it's former self. And it sure ain't worth what they're charging for it.

Josh
02-23-2012, 05:34
IMHO, BMH stopped being a "must" buy when they ran out of Julian Van Winkle supplied juice. Don't know where they're sourcing it now, but it's a shadow of a shadow of it's former self. And it sure ain't worth what they're charging for it.

IIRC they're going through KBD now.

unclebunk
02-23-2012, 06:37

I'm with you, brother. I absolutely love FRSB and enjoy the Small Batch as well but the Yellow Label doesn't click with me at all for some reason. I even went back to it recently in an attempt to re-evaluate/change my initial bad impression and came to the conclusion that I still don't like it, even at that price point when my standards are somewhat lower.

p_elliott
02-23-2012, 07:36
I going to have to disagree for an 80 proof inexpensive bourbon FRYL is pretty decent bourbon.

kc outdoorsman
02-23-2012, 12:32
Just opened a bottle of Knob Creek. I was disappointed, especially since I rarely can afford higher end stuff but this was a special occasion. I had sampled KC before but it wasn't worth the extra $$ in my opinion over WT, or BT.

JayMonster
02-23-2012, 13:28
Just opened a bottle of Knob Creek. I was disappointed, especially since I rarely can afford higher end stuff but this was a special occasion. I had sampled KC before but it wasn't worth the extra $$ in my opinion over WT, or BT.

So where does the disappointment come in? Was it so much better when you sampled it before, and now it didn't live up to what you remembered? Or was it from reading what others said about it made you think this time it has to better? Or are you generally not a Beam fan?

In order to be disappointed, there has to be a reason you expected otherwise.

And for the record, I don't think BT and KC are comparable. They are too Apples and Oranges.

beerfactory
02-24-2012, 15:57
In order to be disappointed, there has to be a reason you expected otherwise.

I think he was pretty clear in saying he was disappointed in having spent more money than he usually does and ended up with a bourbon he did not enjoy as much as he expected. It seems you were wanting him to quantify the disappointment with a flavor profile explanation, but this seems to be an economic factor. Economics are a valid point, imo.

As for my part, I have yet to be disappointed in a bourbon. Being a cheapskate, I generally stick to the middle or bottom shelf. Of course, I have enjoyed some more than others... but have yet to find a bottle I haven't finished in due course.

Were I to spend more money than I normally do, I could easily see the outlay raising my expectations unreasonably. Perhaps my palate is underdeveloped, but I have found enjoyment in whatever bottle I happen to be working my way through.

BillP
02-24-2012, 18:11
I had an EC 12 last year which was so bad I couldn't drink it. Very disappointed. Should I try one again?

Bill

jfw
02-24-2012, 18:22
Knob Creek is my disappointment. It's just too spicy and a bit harsh for me. I keep trying it and coming to the same conclusion.

wmpevans
02-24-2012, 19:19
I had an EC 12 last year which was so bad I couldn't drink it. Very disappointed. Should I try one again?

Bill

EC 12 is one of my favorite pours. Maybe try it again at a bar before buying another bottle just to make sure it does, or does not fit your taste.

Cheers, Bill.

Old Lamplighter
02-24-2012, 19:20
Knob Creek is my disappointment. It's just too spicy and a bit harsh for me. I keep trying it and coming to the same conclusion.

Hmmm....deja vu' just hit me after reading this....I get a nasty taste on my palate suddenly reminding me of JB white...wonder why?:rolleyes:

JayMonster
02-24-2012, 20:11
I think he was pretty clear in saying he was disappointed in having spent more money than he usually does and ended up with a bourbon he did not enjoy as much as he expected. It seems you were wanting him to quantify the disappointment with a flavor profile explanation, but this seems to be an economic factor. Economics are a valid point, imo.

As for my part, I have yet to be disappointed in a bourbon. Being a cheapskate, I generally stick to the middle or bottom shelf. Of course, I have enjoyed some more than others... but have yet to find a bottle I haven't finished in due course.

Were I to spend more money than I normally do, I could easily see the outlay raising my expectations unreasonably. Perhaps my palate is underdeveloped, but I have found enjoyment in whatever bottle I happen to be working my way through.

I get a bourbon not living up to hype or price. The reason I inquired further, is because he said he had sampled it previously. Which, to me, means based on what he remembered of the sample he was expecting it to be worth the price... hence the reason I asked "what changed?"

tommyboy38
02-24-2012, 21:05
Just picked up a bottle of Hirsch 16 blue wax and it totally sucked so i poured it down the sink.

mosugoji64
02-24-2012, 22:16
Just picked up a bottle of Hirsch 16 blue wax and it totally sucked so i poured it down the sink.

:slappin::lol::slappin:The rats are livin' it up tonight! :slappin::lol::slappin:

Old Lamplighter
02-25-2012, 17:19

OMG....OMG....OMG!!!:cry: :drinking: :cry: :drinking: :cry:

p_elliott
02-26-2012, 03:14

"That's funny I don't care who you are"

humchan2k
02-26-2012, 18:36
I think Woodford Reserve is a classic example of a whiskey with a good rep, a decent flavor profile, it makes a solid cocktail or two, but on it's own it's just......lame.

Lazer
02-26-2012, 19:39
Booker's. For me it was just a big alcohol bang without much else too it. I was expecting big flavor, but all I got was big alcohol.

Stormeh
02-26-2012, 21:11
You know, for some reason, I'm not really enjoying my bottle of VoB right now. The last one I had I really liked. Could there be that much variance between bottles?

Steve99
02-27-2012, 11:03
I'm really struggling with my bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. Ive seen some many very positive reviews of it, so I grabbed a bottle the first time I saw it.

The first glass I had of it I really liked, it seemed to live up to all the high expectations I have heard about. Complex but with some nice sweetness.

Since then it has really disappointed me. It has become very bitter and overly woodsy. I've had about 3 tasting since the first and none have lived up to the first. The last one I couldn't even finish it -- I let my wife mix it with some coke -- she seemed to like it.

I'm not sure what to think given the initial favorable impression I got, or what to do with the rest of the bottle.

LostBottle
02-27-2012, 13:38
Booker's. For me it was just a big alcohol bang without much else too it. I was expecting big flavor, but all I got was big alcohol.

Booker's was a bit of a letdown for me also; I had high hopes for it after seeing Jason Pyle's ranking on SMM. It was not so much the alcohol that got me as the syrupy sweet taste and texture. It has been relegated to my desk drawer at work - a place I can appreciate the high abv. Take this with a grain of salt though, as I find my preferences have switched to a heavy rye and Islay rotation and the sweet bourbons are just not that appealing to me at present.

AaronWF
02-27-2012, 13:49
Booker's was a bit of a letdown for me also; It was not so much the alcohol that got me as the syrupy sweet taste and texture.

I agree about the Booker's. There's a corn syrup sweetness to it that I find distasteful. It improved with air, but not enough for me to buy another bottle. It does make for an awesome Old Fashioned, however.

drunk
02-27-2012, 14:20
I agree about the Booker's. There's a corn syrup sweetness to it that I find distasteful. It improved with air, but not enough for me to buy another bottle. It does make for an awesome Old Fashioned, however.

I hate to make drinks with $50 booze, but that's how I've been killing my Bookers off too. Damn thing's been open for almost a year. The fact that it sits right next to a Stagg isn't helping it out either.

Tico
02-27-2012, 14:40
I hate to make drinks with $50 booze, but that's how I've been killing my Bookers off too. Damn thing's been open for almost a year. The fact that it sits right next to a Stagg isn't helping it out either.

I will pile on with the no love for Bookers. I have had a bottle open since Christmas 2010, just cant seem to get rid of the damn thing.

StraightNoChaser
02-27-2012, 16:12
Black Maple Hill....has a strong alchohol aftertaste that ruins some really nice initial sweetness. It wasn't a cheap bottle, so I guess I expected a little more.

Talking about the small batch? I felt the same way.

StraightNoChaser
02-27-2012, 16:12
I will pile on with the no love for Bookers. I have had a bottle open since Christmas 2010, just cant seem to get rid of the damn thing.

I think mine was open for well over a year before I finished it. I struggled to get rid of it

Stormeh
02-27-2012, 17:59
I also am no fan of Booker's. I get a strong cashew note at the end of all Beam products that I really don't care for. To me it just tastes like higher proof Knob Creek. The only Beam product I can stand so far is Basil Haydens, probably because it's so different than all the others.

jtexaslonestar
02-27-2012, 19:22

I think mine was open for well over a year before I finished it. I struggled to get rid of it

I also am no fan of Booker's. I get a strong cashew note at the end of all Beam products that I really don't care for. To me it just tastes like higher proof Knob Creek. The only Beam product I can stand so far is Basil Haydens, probably because it's so different than all the others.

I started out with this view, but after a few months and getting the ratio of whiskey:water dialed in, it was very enjoyable, so I bought another bottle of the same bottling year. I think mine was 7 years 6 or 7 mos??? If y'all are ever in the Ball Ground area I will unload any that remains!!:grin: Cheers!

Josh

Steve99
02-28-2012, 08:38
I've come back around on Booker's and recently been enjoying it again.

One problem I seem to have with it and a few other unfiltered bourbons is I am more likely to have a little extra headache the next morning. Nothing a like a hangover or something, but just seems like my body has a little harder time dealing with it. Does anyone else experience this with the unfiltered pours? I don't think it's just the higher proof, although it could be leading me to consume a little more. . . :yum: :yum:

Steve

Hershmeister
03-03-2012, 17:57
I've come back around on Booker's and recently been enjoying it again.

One problem I seem to have with it and a few other unfiltered bourbons is I am more likely to have a little extra headache the next morning. Nothing a like a hangover or something, but just seems like my body has a little harder time dealing with it. Does anyone else experience this with the unfiltered pours? I don't think it's just the higher proof, although it could be leading me to consume a little more. . . :yum: :yum:

Steve

Be sure to drink plenty of water - that will offset the headache issue

Moretorque05
03-03-2012, 18:01
Wow no love for Booker's... that's one of my favorites. What proof batch are you not liking? The 128.6 has been my least favorite, but still prefer it over most.

ethangsmith
03-04-2012, 06:55
I was very disappointed by the 4R small batch bottle I had a few years ago. Too busy with no defined direction to the flavor. ER 10 is pretty gross too. Tastes "moldy" to me. My bottle of Wathen's isn't very good either. It's like a thin, less flavorful bottle of Elmer T. Lee.

Phil T
03-07-2012, 19:03
I've been nursing a bottle of '11 ER17 for several months now.:cool:
Its no better now then when I first opened it a couple months ago, it still sucks big time ..

In the last couple weeks, I've also had several pours of the Taylor Tornado, its very good, hard to believe they come from the same distillery.

BarrelChar
03-07-2012, 23:27
Not that expectations were too high, but this bottle of Jefferson's 10 Year Rye is terrible. It was given to me by another member who couldn't finish it, and I understand why: it's like thin, watery & musty apple brandy: cloyingly sweet with a funky, almost body odor-like finish. I can barely get through a glass. It's a pretty visceral reaction.

Perhaps a bad batch? I tried it at a bar a few months ago (non-chill filtered sticker on the bottle, which this one doesn't have) and thought it was better than this. But this juice is flat-out awful.

BFerguson
03-08-2012, 03:33
Not that expectations were too high, but this bottle of Jefferson's 10 Year Rye is terrible. It was given to me by another member who couldn't finish it, and I understand why: it's like thin, watery & musty apple brandy: cloyingly sweet with a funky, almost body odor-like finish. I can barely get through a glass. It's a pretty visceral reaction.

Perhaps a bad batch? I tried it at a bar a few months ago (non-chill filtered sticker on the bottle, which this one doesn't have) and thought it was better than this. But this juice is flat-out awful.

Yep! :grin:

B

barturtle
03-08-2012, 15:41
Pretty much every bottling of Frankfort Van Winkle.

Kyjd75
03-15-2012, 06:54
The bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak I bought a couple of days ago. Definitely not my preferred taste for sure. Very different from regular WR (which I didn't care for either--thought I try the WRDO to see if it was better). Actually very strange taste . . . not sure how to describe it except my initial reaction is bad. . .

JayMonster
03-15-2012, 06:58
The bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oak I bought a couple of days ago. Definitely not my preferred taste for sure. Very different from regular WR (which I didn't care for either--thought I try the WRDO to see if it was better). Actually very strange taste . . . not sure how to describe it except my initial reaction is bad. . .

My guess is that the WRDO is going to "enjoy" the same sort of "love-hate" demographic as the regular product.

Wall Eye
03-17-2012, 07:56
I've been enjoying WT Rye (101) and Ritt bib, so I decided to experiment with some Pendleton 1910 12yo 100% Canadian rye. It's priced here around $35. But so far I'm just not getting into it. Not even sure why - maybe a bit too fruity? Too low of proof?

But while I'm not liking it so much straight, I've found that it makes a nice ingredient for vattings.

JFS61
03-17-2012, 14:59
Not feeling any love for the bottle of Baby Saz I picked up - Going back to WT.

weller_tex
03-21-2012, 17:35
Two bottles over the past few years that really disappointed me. VOB BIB was barely drinkable for me. The combination of strong tannins and a banana taste was not good. The other was Eagle Rare 10..it was like chewing on a stick, very tannic and drying.

Young Blacksmith
03-21-2012, 18:53
For all the love VOB BIB gets here, I found mine very disappointing too. VOB 86 on the other hand is really grabbing my attention lately!

Stormeh
03-21-2012, 19:54
My first bottle of VOB 100 impressed me, but the 2nd fell far short. Could there be that much variation between bottles or have my tastes changed?

JayMonster
03-21-2012, 20:07
Perhaps it ia a little bit of both? I can tell you from my own experience, I have had 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace. The first was nothing short of the best bourbon I had ever had (up through that time). The second bottle tasted like my wife strained it through the peat moss she uses in her garden... It was barely drinkable. The third returned to a pleasant bourbonx bit since I had expanded my range of bourbons greatly since the first time I had BT, the wow factor was completely gone.

So can the bourbon vary? Certainly! Can your tastes change? Of course.

Which one is the biggest factor? Only you can say for sure.

AaronWF
03-21-2012, 22:23
I'm finding a bottle of WT Rare Breed from '99 to be a real heel-kick in the eye. Fairly mellow and drinkable for over 108pf, but no sense of balance or any kind of harmony. Other than the mostly easy-drinking, high proof attribute, there isn't much in the way of flavor.

T Comp
03-22-2012, 04:35
I'm finding a bottle of WT Rare Breed from '99 to be a real heel-kick in the eye. Fairly mellow and drinkable for over 108pf, but no sense of balance or any kind of harmony. Other than the mostly easy-drinking, high proof attribute, there isn't much in the way of flavor.

Aaron, I was just thinking of picking one of those up, if still there :cool: , but may take a pass now. Thanks. finishing up a WTRB '95 which is excellent but still a tad behind, the some of the best bourbon I ever had, RB's from '93 and '91.