PDA

View Full Version : Value Pour Drinkes?

Billy Bourbon
01-21-2012, 04:33
Am I alone? Having trouble typeing this........

Hot damn.? I'm alone...the lonely value pour drinekr...can't even type.

Are you out there? I'm here. What you drinking....I'll start... Old Overholt Rye, but I'm firmly rooted in Evan Williams Black Label....thanks to a rec from a gent....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXt4k6LEXUc

boneuphtoner
01-21-2012, 06:47
I'm with you with respect to value pours! I have purchased exactly two bottles in my lifetime that were above $30, a Blantons that was on sale for $36 and a R1 rye that I had tried previously in a bar and loved...I paid $40.99 for that, the most expensive whiskey I've ever purchased. Evan Williams black is also one of my staples, as is the Evan Williams white BIB, which is just a buck or two more and even more flavorful. I just tried the AAA 10 star and it is quite good too!

For special occassions, I do break out my own personal "top shelf" stuff, which is in reality middle shelf stuff when it comes to what is commercially available. My two favorites in that category are EC12 and ETL.

wmpevans
01-21-2012, 07:44
Barton BIB. Roughly $25 for 1.75L.

Great flavor. Some may say it's simple, or not too complex, but hey, I can do simple. Many times I'll reach for this rather than a much more expensive pour.

One of the beautiful things about bourbon, in addition to the American history involved, is the many great, and good value pours, as compared to the over the pond whiskey alternatives.

Bill.

ethangsmith
01-21-2012, 07:52
Old Grand Dad BIB
Pikesville Rye
Wild Turkey Rye
Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
Old Heaven Hill BIB
Old Ezra 101
JTS Brown BIB
TW Samuels BIB
JW Dant BIB
Mellow Corn BIB
Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Evan Williams BIB
Ancient Ancient Age 10 star
Old Crow Reserve

trumpstylz
01-21-2012, 08:20
One of the beautiful things about bourbon, in addition to the American history involved, is the many great, and good value pours, as compared to the over the pond whiskey alternatives.

I've always wondered if there were "value pours" in the scotch category over in the British isles (like we have for american whiskey) or if they pay too much for their scotch as well (as we do here).

T Comp
01-21-2012, 08:22
I'm with you with respect to value pours! I have purchased exactly two bottles in my lifetime that were above $30, ...

Well maybe that'll change if you hang around here long enough :grin: .

ratcheer
01-21-2012, 08:49
My favorite value pour is currently Old Grand Dad 86. It is only about $12 in Alabama, a very high pricing state. This is even less than a lot of the 80-proof blends (here).

And it tastes like real bourbon.

Tim

JayMonster
01-21-2012, 08:57
I've always wondered if there were "value pours" in the scotch category over in the British isles (like we have for american whiskey) or if they pay too much for their scotch as well (as we do here).

I'm sure both ways work there as well. They probably overpay for some "Imports" (like American Whiskey), and most likely have some local Scotch products that are value pours over there that just don't make the hop across because it just wouldn't be worth it price wise to bother.

In other (and shorter) words, we overpay for our Imports (Scotch) as they do their imports (Bourbon).

ebo
01-21-2012, 11:32
I like OGD BiB, EWB, EB 90 and OE 101 for bourbon under $20.00.

EW Slurps
01-21-2012, 18:22
I totally agree with all the OGD BiB mentions. I'd add in BT depending on the market, I've seen it for under $20 some places.

I was at a bar with a wide array of spirits including some pricey stuff but noticed that one of their cocktails was made with FC. The bartenders endorsed it enthusiastically, but I have never tried it.

steeltownbbq
01-21-2012, 18:44
Best value pours are any bourbon someone gives to me for as a gift. I try to drop hints for brands that I wouldn't buy for my self.

This year for Christmas I scored a KC, EC12 and Makers 46, Buillett Rye

If I'm paying it's Dickel 12, OGD BIB, WT101, EW - or what's on sale

JayMonster
01-22-2012, 14:54
Much like I said in the QPR thread, there is a limit to how low I can go and still consider it a "value."

I know I am dreadfully alone around here on this (and maybe it is just my palate isn't "seasoned" enough to appreciate it), but Evan Williams Black crosses the line from "value" into "waste of time and money."

That finish, which I can't decide is more like Scope or an Altoids mint is just too distracting and takes away from any pleasure I can find in it. Even dousing it Coke just make me think, "Now I now what the remaining soda tastes like after somebody drops a Mentos in it and the soda explodes all over the place."

And that was after letting it sit a few weeks... my first run at it had me questioning whether there was still residue soap detergent in the glass.

If it is that much work to drink... Then I just don't see the value.

Beer&Bourbon
01-22-2012, 18:30
Someone recommended Black and White (80 proof) as a good value blended scotch. I think I read that on an old (early 2000s) thread here, but it may have been somewhere else. That said, I haven't tried it myself so I can't validate that.

JayMonster
01-22-2012, 19:39
Someone recommended Black and White (80 proof) as a good value blended scotch. I think I read that on an old (early 2000s) thread here, but it may have been somewhere else. That said, I haven't tried it myself so I can't validate that.

What blows my mind here is that Black and White is still around.

There are certain brands that I associate with OLD MEN... and I mean old men when I was YOUNG. Brands like Black and White, J&B, Dewars, Laroux Rock and Rye, just strike me as brands that have had a time, and that time has passed... these are the drinks that I associate seeing done as shots that were consumed along side Piels, Rheingold, Schaefer, or Ballantine.

These are brands that I thought would just eventually fade away as those that drank it died off. But I guess that isn't the case.

(Sorry for the tangent, the Black and White just really threw me back in time).

WhiskyToWhiskey
01-22-2012, 19:51
Corner Creek was a cheap pour that I didnt find too bad. But for just a bit more BT is available. Canadian whiskey 40 creek is good value. With blended scotch Teachers is alright and pretty cheap.

Bourbon Boiler
01-22-2012, 20:06
I don't think anything definitively beats VOB. I might just be saying that because I'm sipping it right now, but it's a great value.

BroInBourbonMD
01-22-2012, 20:24
I know all things are relative to each individual's personal definition of value, but it appears that most of the responses fall under the "good but really cheap" categorization. What about pours in the next price range up ($30-$45) that you might call a value?

I tend to like Basil Hayden as a nice value for an 8 year old or Jefferson's Reserve when I am looking for something a little bit more complex. Both of which are readily available for around $35.

hectic1
01-22-2012, 20:28
I know all things are relative to each individual's personal definition of value, but it appears that most of the responses fall under the "good but really cheap" categorization. What about pours in the next price range up ($30-$45) that you might call a value?

I tend to like Basil Hayden as a nice value for an 8 year old or Jefferson's Reserve when I am looking for something a little bit more complex. Both of which are readily available for around $35.
This might be the first time I've ever seen BH and nice value used in the same sentence...:slappin:

JayMonster
01-22-2012, 20:46

I get what you are trying to say, which might br better placed the similar QPR (quality price ratio) thread. What is being discussed here (as I understand it) is about what is higjly drinkable but cheap.

trumpstylz
01-23-2012, 02:54
Yeah, there is good level at any price poiny.

Old Lamplighter
01-23-2012, 04:57
These are brands that I thought would just eventually fade away as those that drank it died off.

I thought that happened not long after they drank the aforementioned....hmmm...guess there will always be the adventurous looking to die young (or old).

kc outdoorsman
01-23-2012, 08:33
I gotta add Benchmark to the list. $9.99 at my store - sorry we can't get Barton or AAA here, and I don't care for EW black

BroInBourbonMD
01-23-2012, 19:03
This might be the first time I've ever seen BH and nice value used in the same sentence...:slappin:

Yeah, I know, right! Maybe it is just my immature bourbon taste buds, but I kinda dig the stuff. That is probably the only Beam product I'll drink without it being in a coke.

dohidied
01-24-2012, 15:18
My best value pour is ND OGD 86. By far the most common dusty I find in the area. Superb bourbon. I really need to stop leaving it on shelves.

TheEther
01-24-2012, 15:31
For me:

Old Forester Signature is less than $17 for 750ml
Very Old Barton BiB around $12

BillP
01-24-2012, 16:55
I do enjoy WT 101 when it's on sale (which is quite often at my store).

Bill

BourbonGuy
01-27-2012, 02:40
I gotta add Benchmark to the list. $9.99 at my store - sorry we can't get Barton or AAA here, and I don't care for EW black

I picked up a bottle of Benchmark for $7.49. The is the least I had ever paid for a bottle. Heck, at that price, if I do not like it, I will mix it with Apple Juice, soy sauce and butter and spray my ribs with it while smoking to keep them moist. But seems good from this link:http://www.greatbourbon.com/mcaffe.aspx

pfiest
01-27-2012, 06:28
Here's a vote for VOB BIB, but I'd also add JTS Brown BIB to the list. I think I paid around $11 for the last few bottles I purchased. It's pretty tasty for such an inexpensive bottle. Although, I haven't seen any around lately.

STLbourbon
01-27-2012, 12:41
Rittenhouse Rye BIB - $19
Old Weller Antique - $19
Weller 12 Year - $18
Buffalo Trace - $17
Old Grand Dad BIB - $17
Old Grand Dad 114 - $19
Old Forester Signature - $19

St. Louis pricing...

STLb

jcg9779
01-27-2012, 12:51
What about pours in the next price range up ($30-$45) that you might call a value?

I'd put FRSB in this category.

ebo
01-27-2012, 17:03
I'd put FRSB in this category.
I'll second that one.

CrispyCritter
01-27-2012, 20:40
Evan Williams Black crosses the line from "value" into "waste of time and money."

That finish, which I can't decide is more like Scope or an Altoids mint is just too distracting and takes away from any pleasure I can find in it. Even dousing it Coke just make me think, "Now I now what the remaining soda tastes like after somebody drops a Mentos in it and the soda explodes all over the place."

:slappin:

Regarding the Rittenhouse BIB mentions, for me it USED to be a good value, back when it was about $12/bottle. Now it's about $23... and it doesn't seem like such a value now.

I'll second OGD BIB and the Wellers, and also add Old Fitzgerald BIB. Dickel #12 is another favorite for me.

VOB BIB, now I'm glad I discovered it - but now I'm worried that it'll get too popular and we'll have another Rittenhouse situation on our hands.