PDA

View Full Version : How many bottles does a barrel yield at 90 proof

trumpstylz
01-23-2012, 23:02
How many 90 proof 750 ml bottles would be produced by one barrel (approximately) after about 8 or 9 years in the brl? Does anybody know?

JayMonster
01-24-2012, 04:14
I can't remember at the moment which distiller's website I saw it on, but they were offering a private "small batch" (2 barrels) which yielded 180 bottles, so ballpark the number should be about 1/2 of that, or around 90 bottles.

Edit: Found it. It was Woodford Reserve. But it is 1 litre bottles, so a quick calculation and that would mean 120 bottles at 750 ml... Approximately.

Enoch
01-24-2012, 04:58
I think it depends on the age of the barrels.

hectic1
01-24-2012, 05:27
At 90 proof your going to be somewhere in the 250-260 bottle range...our OWA barrels at 8yr yielded 192 and 204 however, we were told to expect between 225-250 bottles per barrel. It's hard to predict though as I've found that most honey barrels are going to have given more to the angels...it seems that they enjoy taking the good stuff! ;)

JayMonster
01-24-2012, 06:50
At 90 proof your going to be somewhere in the 250-260 bottle range...our OWA barrels at 8yr yielded 192 and 204 however, we were told to expect between 225-250 bottles per barrel. It's hard to predict though as I've found that most honey barrels are going to have given more to the angels...it seems that they enjoy taking the good stuff! ;)

This makes sense as a barrel is 53 gallons (or 200,626 ml) which means you are starting with just over 267 bottles at 750 ml, reduce for angel's share and then add water to cut down from barrel proof (of course at what proof it goes in and comes out of the barrel is a factor as well).

Makes me wonder why the yield that Woodford offers, 180 bottles from not one but 2 barrels. Are they using smaller barrels? Giving up an extraordinary amount to angel's share... or just not giving the buyer the entire contents of 2 barrels.

Beer&Bourbon
01-24-2012, 09:19
I was under the impression that Woodford didn't offer a single barrel program, but rather a small batch single barrel program. Meaning they mingle two barrels and then you purchase a barrel worth of the whiskey. I think it's stupid and don't understand the idea here. Also, do you even get to choose the bourbon at Woodford - or do they choose two barrels and blend them and make the choice for you?

As little love as there is around here for Woodford (and with the high price), I doubt anyone here would do a barrel purchase from them, but maybe someone knows how it goes down.

Young Blacksmith
01-24-2012, 12:02
When I did a tour last month they stated they provide samples and you pick them. I think Woodford does the mingling because they age at both the Labrot and Graham location and Brown-Foreman's warehouses in Louisville.

JayMonster
01-24-2012, 12:34
I was under the impression that Woodford didn't offer a single barrel program, but rather a small batch single barrel program. Meaning they mingle two barrels and then you purchase a barrel worth of the whiskey. I think it's stupid and don't understand the idea here. Also, do you even get to choose the bourbon at Woodford - or do they choose two barrels and blend them and make the choice for you?

As little love as there is around here for Woodford (and with the high price), I doubt anyone here would do a barrel purchase from them, but maybe someone knows how it goes down.

You are right, I wouldn't buy it, but since they had the program, I figured I could use it for calculations.

You are right, you choose two barrels, from "several" that you get to sample with with one of their people to make up your blend.

Since you are picking two barrels to blend, I assumed (I guess wrongly) that you were purchasing 2 barrels worth of whiskey... because... well... what the heck are they going to do with the remainder, just add it to the next dump? So that is why I initially divided the 180 bottles by a factor of 2. But now, that does seem really low (heck, it seems a little low for 1 barrel).

On a side note: I do understand the idea, you get to choose two barrels to blend (that yes you get to taste), and bring home your "custom" blend. Seems like a nice novelty for somebody that has a few thousand to drop in one shot on whiskey. And with 180 bottles, you better have plenty of friends, or you better REALLY like your blend. Not that I have that kind of money to drop on whiskey (nor enough bourbon drinking friends), but I sort of wish that somebody other than Woodford Offered this, so I could at least pretend that I wanted to actually do this one day.

grubbster
01-25-2012, 03:01
And with 180 bottles, you better have plenty of friends, or you better REALLY like your blend. Not that I have that kind of money to drop on whiskey (nor enough bourbon drinking friends), but I sort of wish that somebody other than Woodford Offered this, so I could at least pretend that I wanted to actually do this one day.
I believe this is mostly geared toward horse farms and other businesses that want to give this away as gifts. Very nice concept especially for businesses that have clients coming in from out of country. Really impressive. :grin:

mosugoji64
01-25-2012, 08:41
I believe this is mostly geared toward horse farms and other businesses that want to give this away as gifts. Very nice concept especially for businesses that have clients coming in from out of country. Really impressive. :grin:

When I was there they had a plaque on the wall with names of businesses and individuals that purchased barrels. Weber Grill had a private bottling of WR several years ago. I remember it being good, but not mind-blowing.