PDA

View Full Version : Am I a wuss for liking Wheat over Rye?

gburger
01-26-2012, 20:23
I seem to like wheated bourbons better than ryes. I have read some places that rye is the bourbon with more character and or flavors. The PHC Wheated is like liquid candy to me, and other wheats are my favorite. Am I a wuss for liking wheated more?

cbus
01-26-2012, 20:25
No.
Also
No. And again, no.

JayMonster
01-26-2012, 20:51
No! If you drank something because you are "supposed" to like it... Wuss. (Most people I know who drink JD fit into this. They don't drink JD because rhey like it, but because that is what "everybody else" drinks)

Knowing what you like and drinking that = not wuss.

There is a reason both exist. Tastes differ. No one type is "right"

Josh
01-26-2012, 21:01
Yes. Next question?

Restaurant man
01-26-2012, 21:03
Actually only real men like wheaters, however your self doubt labels you a wuss and possibly a worse moniker; wussy

AaronWF
01-26-2012, 21:33
The wheater drinks sweeter while the rye is spry.

Old Lamplighter
01-26-2012, 21:39
Am I a wuss for liking wheated more?

Short Answer: YES / Long Answer: NO

It all comes down to individual palate...nobody is a "wuss" here :drink:

ILLfarmboy
01-26-2012, 21:57
your self doubt labels you a wuss and possibly a worse moniker; wussy

I second that.

Drink what you damn well like.

I like diet Coke. (if I drank regular pop, I'd be one fat bastard) I don't go around saying 'woo will they think I'm a girly man for drinking diet Coke.'

BradleyC
01-26-2012, 21:59
The wheater drinks sweeter while the rye is spry.

I like that. I might use it myself someday if you don't mind.

JB64
01-26-2012, 22:23
No! If you drank something because you are "supposed" to like it... Wuss. (Most people I know who drink JD fit into this. They don't drink JD because rhey like it, but because that is what "everybody else" drinks)

Knowing what you like and drinking that = not wuss.

There is a reason both exist. Tastes differ. No one type is "right"

I don't know why you needed to insult JD drinkers. Obviously I don't know the people that you know that drink JD but I doubt most of them are wusses. Since JD is one of the best selling whiskeys in the world I would imagine that many casual whiskey drinkers order JD because of that fact. If you are not passionate about whiskey you will probably order something you have heard of before. If you are a true whiskey drinker I find it hard to believe that you would drink something you don't really like. I find JD to be priced higher than it should be but it is consistant, has a decent flavor, and I always have a bottle open on my bar. If that makes me a wuss then so be it.

The only wusses I can think of are people who would call someone a wuss for drinking what they enjoy.

LostBottle
01-26-2012, 22:36
No, you are not a wuss; you like what you like and should not need to care about what others think.

That said, you should keep at the ryes. Learning to like them, in addition to the wheaters, will open up a much broader world of whiskey and taste experiences - one where the are some truly amazing rye whiskeys that rival those Pappys.

Clavius
01-26-2012, 23:04
I love the wheaters, too! They're my favorite. But I won't turn down a rye. Bourbon is bourbon. And so long as it isn't Town Branch I will drink it! :grin:

trumpstylz
01-27-2012, 00:37
I seem to like wheated bourbons better than ryes. I have read some places that rye is the bourbon with more character and or flavors. The PHC Wheated is like liquid candy to me, and other wheats are my favorite. Am I a wuss for liking wheated more?

Drinking 80 proof rye whiskey is wussier than brl proof wheated (the parkers, for example).

callmeox
01-27-2012, 03:35
Drinking 80 proof rye whiskey is wussier than brl proof wheated (the parkers, for example).

Yeah, only the high proof stuff is manly! Arr harr harr!

:rolleyes:

Time to queue up an "I only drink Stagg straight" dick waving thread!

To Greg: drink what you want, how you want and don't worry about other opinions. It's your whiskey and your palate.

Old Lamplighter
01-27-2012, 04:18
:rolleyes:Time to queue up an "I only drink Stagg straight" dick waving thread!

:slappin: :slappin: :toast:

JayMonster
01-27-2012, 04:50
I don't know why you needed to insult JD drinkers.

Wasn't my intent to insult JD drinkers as a whole... if you like it, then great. My example, based solely on personal experience, is that within my travels, the people I come in contact with most that drink JD, do so because that is what they know more than that is what they prefer.

They wear a "bikers" leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson T-shirt (even though they don't have one) and they do their SHOT of JD with a beer chaser, drink their shot, swallow with a grimace, make some sort of grunting noise and then grab their beer to wash away the taste.

That is the person I am speaking about.

I could just as well probably use Stoli or Bacardi for the same example. But thought JD was a more relevant example here.

The only wusses I can think of are people who would call someone a wuss for drinking what they enjoy.

Absolutely, and that was the point I was driving at as well.

BigRich
01-27-2012, 05:35
Actually only real men like wheaters, however your self doubt labels you a wuss and possibly a worse moniker; wussy

There it is! Drink with confidence my bourbon brother.

AaronWF
01-27-2012, 05:46
I like that. I might use it myself someday if you don't mind.

Be my guest! You can level me credit in the liner notes.

EW Slurps
01-27-2012, 06:09
Wasn't my intent to insult JD drinkers as a whole... if you like it, then great. My example, based solely on personal experience, is that within my travels, the people I come in contact with most that drink JD, do so because that is what they know more than that is what they prefer.

They wear a "bikers" leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson T-shirt (even though they don't have one) and they do their SHOT of JD with a beer chaser, drink their shot, swallow with a grimace, make some sort of grunting noise and then grab their beer to wash away the taste.

That is the person I am speaking about.

I could just as well probably use Stoli or Bacardi for the same example. But thought JD was a more relevant example here.

Absolutely, and that was the point I was driving at as well.

I have to disagree. While some products have mass appeal merely because of branding, not all do. I think steak provides a good comparison. I don't normally eat steak at popular chains like Texas Road House or even Outback. It's not because the steaks at these places are bad, it's just that they are kind of generic. I'd rather have a more refined or flavorful steak which requires either paying more or finding a more unique steak house. But at the end of the day Outback is still steak and it still tastes good even if it's not usually what I want. I can't put it in the same category as school cafeteria Salisbury steak.

I don't love JD, but at the end of the day it is not Mr. Boston. I wonder if JD would get less hate if it had the bourbon label. Personally, I'd take JD over JB if that was my only choice.

ratcheer
01-27-2012, 06:21

Yes. Yes you are.

Tim

cowdery
01-27-2012, 10:52
You're not a wuss for liking wheaters. You're a wuss for needing our approval. :)

mosugoji64
01-27-2012, 11:19
If you take it neat, no. If you always drink it in Coke, yes. :grin:

JayMonster
01-27-2012, 12:11
I have to disagree. While some products have mass appeal merely because of branding, not all do. I think steak provides a good comparison. I don't normally eat steak at popular chains like Texas Road House or even Outback. It's not because the steaks at these places are bad, it's just that they are kind of generic. I'd rather have a more refined or flavorful steak which requires either paying more or finding a more unique steak house. But at the end of the day Outback is still steak and it still tastes good even if it's not usually what I want. I can't put it in the same category as school cafeteria Salisbury steak.

I don't love JD, but at the end of the day it is not Mr. Boston. I wonder if JD would get less hate if it had the bourbon label. Personally, I'd take JD over JB if that was my only choice.

Your still making the argument that I hate JD, which I do not. I don't drink it as there are other things I enjoy more, but I don't have any hatred for it.

My point was solely on a subset of people that drink it for the reason I described, nothing more or less.

It is no different than those that drink Macallan (andI am NOT picking on everybody who drinks Macallan), not because they like it necessarily, but because they *heard* that it was "the best" in some magazine or on some website.

In the end, drink what you like, and like what you drink is the name of the game.

gburger
01-27-2012, 15:13
Well I started this thread to get some of you going and it worked.
I just like wheated bourbons best, but I also own many ryes, and enjoy them as well. When I want to excite my taste buds I pull out a rye, when I want to relax after a hard day, out comes a wheater.
I drink all of my bourbon neat, sometimes with a whiskey stone and sometimes a very small splash of "branch water" (I watched all of the Dallas episodes years ago, JR drank it that way, ha) if the proof is over 130.
In this posting I found out that I am a wuss, not a wuss, a wussy, yes and no, yes and yes, no and no, and Mr. Cowdery stated no but that I am a wuss for asking for everyone's approval. But he did post a smiley face after the comment. That was sweet of him!
I have to go now because I need to leave a book comment on BOURBON, STRAIGHT: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey on Amazon, I hope that I can post smiley faces there. How many stars should I leave???
Only kidding Col. Glad to see that us bourbon drinkers have a sense of humor.

WsmataU
01-27-2012, 15:25
You're a wus for liking wheaters. So make the Rye conversion and leave my wussy stockpiles alone!:slappin:

ebo
01-27-2012, 15:58

JD would get more love if it wasn't such a cult whiskey that is assosiated with bikers (you know the kind I mean), badasses, macho assholes and "manly men" in general.

I side with the faction that thinks JD is as popular as it is because of it's "bad boy" image. It sure isn't because it's that damn good... and it sure isn't worth the price, but if they can get it, and they do, more power to 'em.

I don't hate JD at all, but it I don't love it either. The Single Barrel is another story :cool: .

ILLfarmboy
01-27-2012, 16:09

More power to you if you can afford to regularly eat at steakhouses that specialize in dry aged meats.

The "hate" at least my hatred of B-F comes from dropping the proof twice, from 90 to 86 and then from 86 to 80. Despite my hate I occasionally order jack and Coke in bars and usually keep a bottle of the SB at home.

CrispyCritter
01-27-2012, 19:59

The "hate" at least my hatred of B-F comes from dropping the proof twice, from 90 to 86 and then from 86 to 80.

I was just going to touch on the lowering of proof. That's the biggest reason I don't drink JD. At the 80-proof level I tend to favor Irish or Canadian pours. Bourbon really benefits from higher proof, IMO.

As for wheat vs. rye, I love them both - and will switch between them for variety.

Bourbon Boiler
01-28-2012, 19:53
Both wheat and rye have a place on my shelf. However, there are a number of inexpensive, younger rye bourbons that I like and I can't think of a wheated bourbon that fits that description. I think if you adjust the question to, "Is a wheated bourbon any less of a bourbon?" it might create a small amount of debate, but my answer would still be no.

tommyboy38
01-28-2012, 20:27
Yes, you are a wuss.

gburger
01-28-2012, 20:43
Yes, you are a wuss.

Ouch! That hurts

p_elliott
01-28-2012, 21:08
I think you all had your chain jerked :slappin: Nice Greg :cool:

JB64
01-29-2012, 00:25
JD would get more love if it wasn't such a cult whiskey that is assosiated with bikers (you know the kind I mean), badasses, macho assholes and "manly men" in general.

I side with the faction that thinks JD is as popular as it is because of it's "bad boy" image. It sure isn't because it's that damn good... and it sure isn't worth the price, but if they can get it, and they do, more power to 'em.

I don't hate JD at all, but it I don't love it either. The Single Barrel is another story :cool: .

I assume when you say more love that it is in regard to SB members because based on sales it gets plenty of love elsewhere.

I get the point you are making about JD's image with the macho wanabee types. There are other products that have similar followers. One that comes to mind is the Oakland Raiders, they have that outlaw logo and a reputation for dirty play. Sorry ebo just giving you a hard time, as a life long KC Chief fan I shouldn't be messing with anyone about the team they root for.:grin:

greens
01-29-2012, 02:57
Time to queue up an "I only drink Stagg straight" dick waving thread!

But I do, drink Stagg neat that is. I would never consider myself a "manly man"(as if there really is actually such a thing) and brag about it for doing so though.

Is there really any other way of drinking Stagg, or any barrel proof bourbon for that matter? Why would I want to water it down exactly if I didn't have to? It tastes divine neat and I love the assault on the taste buds. I have no desire to try it with the addition of water, but then again I don't assume that means I have a big dick because of my preference.

Special Reserve
01-29-2012, 06:10
Yes, you are a wuss.

Remember it takes a wuss to enjoy a PVW15 or a PHC 10 or any WLW neat!

ebo
01-29-2012, 07:00
I assume when you say more love that it is in regard to SB members because based on sales it gets plenty of love elsewhere.

I get the point you are making about JD's image with the macho wanabee types. There are other products that have similar followers. One that comes to mind is the Oakland Raiders, they have that outlaw logo and a reputation for dirty play. Sorry ebo just giving you a hard time, as a life long KC Chief fan I shouldn't be messing with anyone about the team they root for.:grin:
No problem. I'm an old school Raiders fan that knows who our "real" rivals in the division are. It pains me to admit that the Chiefs are the only team in our division with a winning record against us.:skep:

As far as my comments on JD are concerned; I do like JD. I liked it more when the proof was higher. I will stand firm on my opinion that JD is only as popular as it is, because of it's image and marketing... not because it is anything so much more special than a hundred other whiskies out there.

I will give props to the marketing machine that made it the world wide best selling, best known whiskey, though.:bowdown:

bad_scientist
01-29-2012, 10:00
I had an 18-year-old Willett wheater last night that put me on my ass. I had about a third of it at its full 72%, but had to dilute it to 45% or so to enjoy the rest. There aren't too many high proof ryes to compare it to, but I can say with certainty that Handy comes off as a sissy compared to the Willett. Wheaters at high proof can be pretty tough customers!

Bourbon Boiler
01-29-2012, 14:15
Who's calling who a wuss??

http://www.slantedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/drunk-russian.jpg

Old Lamplighter
01-29-2012, 14:21
That's what happens when you start celebrating St. Patrick's Day too early.

callmeox
01-29-2012, 14:41
But I do, drink Stagg neat that is. I would never consider myself a "manly man"(as if there really is actually such a thing) and brag about it for doing so though.

Is there really any other way of drinking Stagg, or any barrel proof bourbon for that matter? Why would I want to water it down exactly if I didn't have to? It tastes divine neat and I love the assault on the taste buds. I have no desire to try it with the addition of water, but then again I don't assume that means I have a big dick because of my preference.

I answered this in the same post that you quoted and edited.

ILLfarmboy
01-29-2012, 20:49

I like Stagg neat. Small sips and let it mix with your saliva, anyhow, that's my method

In my experience WLW benefits from a little water. But as always YMMV

Drink whatever you like however you damn well like it.

I think anyone who says you only drink it neat 'cause you are trying to be a 'manly man' has got issues. You know the type; the type that goes around claiming firearms are phallic symbols etc etc. Avoid them like the plague. Don't waist your time. You'll find they are the ones who secretly think what they drink makes them "manly". (perhaps they feel upstaged or threatened)

BourbonBaron
01-29-2012, 23:15

Chuck had a good post on his blog last month about his philosophy regarding why you would add water to a barrel proof expression and it is one that I agree with. To each his own, as most will tell you around here, but 140 proof firewater isn't something everyone enjoys. In my (albeit limited) experiences, Stagg is an exception to something that is drinkable at that proof. There is nothing wrong with that being your preference, but yes, there are plenty of "other ways" besides a straight from the bottle pour of a barrel proof expression.

cowdery
01-30-2012, 00:26
Thanks, Baron. (As a mere Colonel, I have to pay respect.) The link to that post is below.

Be Careful With High Proof Whiskey. (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2011/12/be-careful-with-high-proof-whiskey.html)

MissinER101
01-30-2012, 09:02
I was manager of technology at a long distance phone company when the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" came out; several of the office gals asked me what I thought about it, my reply to that question fits here....

"Real men eat (drink) what ever the hell they want and F*** what other people think"

Sometimes I like a wheater, sometimes a rye, and some other times a straight rye; sometimes straight sometimes with a splash and lately I really like letting my Glencairn (with WLW) float in the spa to warm it like a fine cognac. Maybe that ain't kosher but I like it.

greens
01-30-2012, 09:38
Chuck had a good post on his blog last month about his philosophy regarding why you would add water to a barrel proof expression and it is one that I agree with. To each his own, as most will tell you around here, but 140 proof firewater isn't something everyone enjoys. In my (albeit limited) experiences, Stagg is an exception to something that is drinkable at that proof. There is nothing wrong with that being your preference, but yes, there are plenty of "other ways" besides a straight from the bottle pour of a barrel proof expression.

Thanks, Baron. (As a mere Colonel, I have to pay respect.) The link to that post is below.

Be Careful With High Proof Whiskey. (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2011/12/be-careful-with-high-proof-whiskey.html)

Interesting perspective and one that I can respect. Even if I wanted to give it a try though, and I admit that I kind of do, I wouldn't have any clue how to measure the appropriate amount of water to add and I would be too worried about over-diluting the expensive barrel proof juice. I'm not going to set up an array of beakers in the kitchen and try to experiment with it. Just not that interested. Also, being completely ignorant to the experimentation of mixing barrel proof with water, I just can't see how it would exactly improve upon the flavor by diluting it. Make it more easily drinkable, of course, but actually improve the flavor? The idea of that clashes with logic in my head, but I don't have enough experience with bourbon to doubt that knowledge.

I also am not sure I can get on board with the idea of permanent tissue damage from the high alcohol content, at least not with regards to the mouth. The liver perhaps. Sure it can temporarily impair the taste buds, but from my experience it isn't noticeable until the following morning when I'm eating breakfast and it subsides by mid day before lunch. If I do enjoy a dram of Stagg it isn't until the last pour of the evening anyhow. And it tastes wonderful from start to finish. I drink it the same way I drink any liquor, which is to take a sip and let it linger in my mouth for anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds. Stagg takes on an amazing transformation the longer you let it roll around in there, especially near the back of the tongue. It goes through many phases and ends up in a hot buttery sweetness that I thoroughly enjoy.

Is there a thread here that covers the basics on how to measure out the appropriate amount of H20 to add to barrel proof whiskey, or are those of you that do this just eyeballing it each time? I'm honestly interested in knowing more about the method so that I can at least try it once or twice.

Tucker
01-30-2012, 09:42
Is there a thread here that covers the basics on how to measure out the appropriate amount of H20 to add to barrel proof whiskey, or are those of you that do this just eyeballing it each time? I'm honestly interested in knowing more about the method so that I can at least try it once or twice.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#7

AaronWF
01-30-2012, 09:57
Even if I wanted to give it a try though, and I admit that I kind of do, I wouldn't have any clue how to measure the appropriate amount of water to add and I would be too worried about over-diluting the expensive barrel proof juice.

Also, being completely ignorant to the experimentation of mixing barrel proof with water, I just can't see how it would exactly improve upon the flavor by diluting it. Make it more easily drinkable, of course, but actually improve the flavor? The idea of that clashes with logic in my head, but I don't have enough experience with bourbon to doubt that knowledge.

I got an eye dropper (http://www.specialtybottle.com/clearbostonroundglassbottle1ozwdropper.aspx) from Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/). I keep distilled water in there when I have it and add a few drops to my Stagg, WLW and barrel-proof ryes.

I have found that barrel-proof wheaters especially benefit from the addition of water. My sweet spot with WLW and the PHC wheater is around 105-110 proof. This is not scientifically measured, I'm just estimating the post-water proof. When you put water in whiskey, you can see it reacting with the oils, loosening up flavors that were otherwise tucked away. IMO, water enhances the taste of most barrel proof whiskeys, though I haven't found that to be the case with Four Roses.

Josh
01-30-2012, 10:38
Why would anyone add water to barrel-proof whiskey? I do it because the alcohol completely overwhelms the flavor and makes it harder for me to taste everything that is going on. Plus it is really painful going down and then more pain as the acid in my stomach bubbles back up. I add water or ice to just about everything I drink over 97 proof, even to some in the 90 range.

My scientific method is that I turn on the cold tap (we have some of the best tap water in North America here in Metro Detroit), then put my glass with whiskey already in it under the tap for a split second. If it's Stagg or something else at very very high proof I will repeat it once or twice.

For Four Roses Barrel Stength offerings, I like to put an ice cube in the glass and pour until it floats, then nurse the thing for an hour or more.

Bottom line for me: Drink it how you like to drink it, and if somebody else likes to drink it a different way, don't give them :shithappens: for it.

greens
01-30-2012, 14:21
http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#7

Thank you for bringing that to my attention again Tucker. I recall seeing it a couple of months ago but had forgot it was there.

I got an eye dropper (http://www.specialtybottle.com/clearbostonroundglassbottle1ozwdropper.aspx) from Specialty Bottle (http://www.specialtybottle.com/). I keep distilled water in there when I have it and add a few drops to my Stagg, WLW and barrel-proof ryes.

I have found that barrel-proof wheaters especially benefit from the addition of water. My sweet spot with WLW and the PHC wheater is around 105-110 proof. This is not scientifically measured, I'm just estimating the post-water proof. When you put water in whiskey, you can see it reacting with the oils, loosening up flavors that were otherwise tucked away. IMO, water enhances the taste of most barrel proof whiskeys, though I haven't found that to be the case with Four Roses.

Why would anyone add water to barrel-proof whiskey? I do it because the alcohol completely overwhelms the flavor and makes it harder for me to taste everything that is going on. Plus it is really painful going down and then more pain as the acid in my stomach bubbles back up. I add water or ice to just about everything I drink over 97 proof, even to some in the 90 range.

My scientific method is that I turn on the cold tap (we have some of the best tap water in North America here in Metro Detroit), then put my glass with whiskey already in it under the tap for a split second. If it's Stagg or something else at very very high proof I will repeat it once or twice.

For Four Roses Barrel Stength offerings, I like to put an ice cube in the glass and pour until it floats, then nurse the thing for an hour or more.

Bottom line for me: Drink it how you like to drink it, and if somebody else likes to drink it a different way, don't give them :shithappens: for it.

Thank you Aaron and Josh for your feedback.

Our tap water here is terrible so I'll probably have to go the distilled route. I'll give this thing a shot some time this weekend and report back with my findings.

MissinER101
02-01-2012, 08:56
Personal opinion, your mileage may vary;

There is a BIG difference between distilled water and "branch water" (defined by the tour guide at Heaven Hill), branch water is taken closest to the source, spring. Heaven Hill, after an extensive search uses Deer Park from Walmart in their tasting room and said it was best they found.

The distilleries do not use distilled water to make bourbon, it is the iron free limestone water that contributes to the flavor of Kentucky bourbon. I grew in in Southern Indiana limestone country and use to swim in the abandoned quarries, there is no comparison between the feel of pool water and the limestone water in a quarry, pool water feels "dead" next to quarry water; I feel the same way about tap and distilled water next to a good "branch" water in my bourbon. I am not scientific about adding water, I use a small diameter straw, dip it in the bottle and place my thumb over the end to transfer to the glass, repeat if I didn't get enough the first time, add a little bourbon if I got too much.

BourbonBaron
02-01-2012, 13:08
From what I understand, yes, they use limestone water in the mash and to adjust proof before barreling, but they don't use the limestone water to cut the proof. The idea is that they do not want to change the taste any further once the barrels are dumped. They want to use as neutral of a water as possible to take the proof down to bottling strength, and distilled/filtered water fills that need.

Personal opinion, your mileage may vary;

There is a BIG difference between distilled water and "branch water" (defined by the tour guide at Heaven Hill), branch water is taken closest to the source, spring. Heaven Hill, after an extensive search uses Deer Park from Walmart in their tasting room and said it was best they found.

The distilleries do not use distilled water to make bourbon, it is the iron free limestone water that contributes to the flavor of Kentucky bourbon. I grew in in Southern Indiana limestone country and use to swim in the abandoned quarries, there is no comparison between the feel of pool water and the limestone water in a quarry, pool water feels "dead" next to quarry water; I feel the same way about tap and distilled water next to a good "branch" water in my bourbon. I am not scientific about adding water, I use a small diameter straw, dip it in the bottle and place my thumb over the end to transfer to the glass, repeat if I didn't get enough the first time, add a little bourbon if I got too much.

MissinER101
02-02-2012, 09:36
I have used distilled water, it cut the proof, removes a bit of the burn in the high proofs and seems to "open up" the flavors. I can't really explain it but to my tongue a quality spring or "branch" water just seems to liven up the whiskey to me.

nblair
02-02-2012, 11:22

Along with the link to the calculator in the FAQ, if you have an Android phone there is a "Dilution Calculator " app that comes in handy if you aren't near your computer.

CrispyCritter
02-03-2012, 19:22
Regarding Stagg, I've found that you can add quite a bit of water and its character still shines through. On a few rare occasions, I've even used it in a Manhattan and it's Staggness was still plainly evident. A Stagghattan is quite lovely, albeit a bit costly... well worth using Carpano Antica Formula for the vermouth.

With my '07 Stagg (144.8 proof), I like filling my Glencairn up to the widest point, then adding a tablespoon of water.

I've had it neat a few times, but I really do think that diluting it a bit makes it more enjoyable - not to mention making the bottle last longer! As it is, there's only about four fingers' worth left in the bottle, and that's about to drop a bit, since it'll be my next pour after I finish my VOB BIB.

ebo
02-03-2012, 19:37
Regarding Stagg, I've found that you can add quite a bit of water and its character still shines through. On a few rare occasions, I've even used it in a Manhattan and it's Staggness was still plainly evident. A Stagghattan is quite lovely, albeit a bit costly... well worth using Carpano Antica Formula for the vermouth.

With my '07 Stagg (144.8 proof), I like filling my Glencairn up to the widest point, then adding a tablespoon of water.

I've had it neat a few times, but I really do think that diluting it a bit makes it more enjoyable - not to mention making the bottle last longer! As it is, there's only about four fingers' worth left in the bottle, and that's about to drop a bit, since it'll be my next pour after I finish my VOB BIB.
I have one pour of 2010 Stagg... courtesy of a SB.com member. It will be a special occasion before I drink it.

smokinjoe
02-03-2012, 20:12

Your first paragraph is priceless, Crispy. No other barrel proof whiskey holds
up to water like Stagg. IMO, that is why it is so special. You can dilute the
begeezus out of it, and it's massive flavor plows through. All of the 4R's,
the HH's, the umpteen different Willett bottlings, etc., barrel proofs seem to wilt to just more than a dollop of water. Not Stagg. Any year. Well, I know what's goin' in the glass next!

Ejmharris
02-04-2012, 10:25
I have one pour of 2010 Stagg... courtesy of a SB.com member. It will be a special occasion before I drink it.

Everyday is a special occasion. Drink it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyfish
03-26-2012, 15:10
Some of you remember the advice that "Real men don't eat quiche."
The retort, of course, is "Real men eat whatever they like." Real men also drink whatever they like.

ILLfarmboy
03-28-2012, 17:13
Some of you remember the advice that "Real men don't eat quiche."
The retort, of course, is "Real men eat whatever they like." Real men also drink whatever they like.

As a measure of just how sissified society has become in the last thirty years, eating cheese, at least whole milk varieties, is now verboten by the food police, and far too many people, and I don't mean just the metro-sexual kind with questionable orientation, have bought into the notion that real food will kill you dead within 30 min of eating it.