PDA

View Full Version : Bottles you wish you could give back: or finish

wmpevans
02-01-2012, 05:46
New thread and perhaps a warning to others, with a taste variable caveat.

Last year in my "irrational exuberance" to get value wheaters I snagged 1.75L's of Old Fitzgerald 80 and Rebel Yell. Cheap wheaters have to be a good value: Right.

WRONG!!!!

Can't get rid of these. They cower compared to WSR and VOB.

What bottles do you wish you could give back or finish.

Be honest......with your mistakes. It won't hurt.

Bill.

White Dog
02-01-2012, 07:14
New thread and perhaps a warning to others, with a taste variable caveat.

Last year in my "irrational exuberance" to get value wheaters I snagged 1.75L's of Old Fitzgerald 80 and Rebel Yell. Cheap wheaters have to be a good value: Right.

WRONG!!!!

Can't get rid of these. They cower compared to WSR and VOB.

What bottles do you wish you could give back or finish.

Be honest......with your mistakes. It won't hurt.

Bill.

I agree with you in regards to bottom shelf HH Wheaters. They're awful, Rebel Yell in particular.

EW Slurps
02-01-2012, 07:18
I've been working on a handle of MM for over a year, just doesn't excite me (and I do like me some wheat).

I also picked up abottle of E. H. Schnuck, a grocery store private label, on a recent trip to St Louis that I picked up as kind of a joke and now don't know what to do with. It has an intense medicinal flavor and also guarantees sleepless nights after a single pour.

callmeox
02-01-2012, 08:25
Nothing.

Every bottle is its own learning experience.

Enoch
02-01-2012, 08:37
I keep a CrapBox that I put bottles in that I don't care for. I'm not saying they are terrible but not to my taste. Life is too short to force myself to drink something that I don't really like that much. I use them for comparison and to cook with occasionally. I just can't bring myself to throw them out but don't care to drink them. Currently it has:

Bourbon De Luxe
Distiller's Pride
Early 80's Ezra Brooks Gold label (80 proof) - funny taste????
Current Ezra Brooks
kentucky gentleman
Current Old Crow
Current OGD 114
Current OGD 86
Peregrin
Current rebel yell
Current Ten High
current Beam Rye
current Old fitz Prime.

The Old Fitz Prime surprised. I had several handles from the mid-90s and enjoyed it very much so I bought a current bottle and found it lacking.

smokinjoe
02-01-2012, 09:06
Nothing.

Every bottle is its own learning experience.

I agree.
Wisdom in those words, Sensei of GBS. You'll have to trade in your GBS t-shirt for the GBS flowing robe with silk obi.

luther.r
02-01-2012, 09:17
kentucky gentleman

Haha, my friend Jon and I call this stuff "8 Buck Kentuck."

DogfaceSoldier
02-01-2012, 09:20
Rowan's Creek...just really don't care for it at all. Has a strange taste that I can't put my finger on.

keith18
02-01-2012, 09:25
I bought a bottle of Corsair triple smoke (not a bourbon I know) that just sits there. It isn't bad, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've also got a couple white whiskey bottles too, but I bought those for aging my own juice and they were surplus so I never really intended to drink them as is.

JayMonster
02-01-2012, 09:30
I asked a similar question in the thread What bottle is falling short of expectations? (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17066), and was inspired to ask that question based on a bottle of Evan Williams Black Label, something that I have seen so many times on these boards being listed as a "great value pour" but thanks to what I describe as an "Altoid Mints" profile find that I simply can't drink it.

But, thankfully it works fine to make Bourbon Chicken or other cooking tasks.

As callmeox said, every bottle is a learning experience. Plus I have always believed that to know what is really good, you have to learn what isn't.

Would I feel more bitter and wish I could return it if I purchases something far more expensive... say a bottle of Pappy 23 and found I didn't like it? Yeah, probably. But for any value pour, there is always something that can be done with them... even if it is just for cooking or pushing it on the Bourbon and Coke crowd at your next BBQ.

I think the real lesson here is never buy a 1.75 L bottle of something you are not sure about.

boneuphtoner
02-01-2012, 11:12
Here is a second vote for the Old Fitzgerald 80 proof...IMHO it is terrible, and I don't think it would even work as a mixer.

wmpevans
02-01-2012, 11:21
I think the real lesson here is never buy a 1.75 L bottle of something you are not sure about.

Agreed.

But at $19/1.75L I was trying to "go large and in charge."

Live and learn.

BigRich
02-01-2012, 13:25
Agreed.

But at $19/1.75L I was trying to "go large and in charge."

Live and learn.

There's always the GBS Pyro-Show

callmeox
02-01-2012, 15:45
I agree.
Wisdom in those words, Sensei of GBS. You'll have to trade in your GBS t-shirt for the GBS flowing robe with silk obi.

Do you have big guy sizes?

smokinjoe
02-01-2012, 15:52
Do you have big guy sizes?

We can have one made. We'll do custom fitting during Sampler. Big question: Sandals or barefoot?

Okie
02-01-2012, 17:07
Rebel Yell for me. I bought it along with JW Gant BIB and Old Forester BIB. I'll keep Gant, though young, not a bad pour. Haven't opened the OF BIB yet, but the Rebel Yell is going to my niece or nephew.

callmeox
02-01-2012, 19:05
We can have one made. We'll do custom fitting during Sampler. Big question: Sandals or barefoot?

Interestingly enough, just this morning I noticed that I still have tan lines on my feet from my sandal wearing in 2011. Lets go with what we know...sandals.

CrispyCritter
02-03-2012, 20:25
For me, Stephen Foster Rye (picked up a handle on a Wisconsin roadtrip a few years back), and there's an old bottle of St. George Single Malt that I have yet to finish; it must be about six years since I last opened it. Hopefully, their product has improved in the meantime.

RegChumpington
02-03-2012, 21:14
I have half a bottle of Rebel Yell that is going to linger forever.

I feel that my Breaking & Entering is also going to be unfinished for ages.

MJL
02-04-2012, 05:35
To be frank, I've not disliked bourbons so much that I have had to choke them down. I've had a few Scotch bottles that were, well, challenging to finish but not bourbon. When I encounter bottles that are not really to my liking I drink these as my third drink of the night. In other words, I preserve my taste buds for those I prefer to taste and those I prefer to experience I bust out the gingerale, drop down some bourbon/scotch, etc and mix away. Usually off flavors will float away with the gingerale and a good dose of lemon juice. They may not all be winners but I'll find some way of making them work.....

Young Blacksmith
02-04-2012, 07:25
I feel the same way, bad bourbon and rye makes great mixers you don't feel like you wasted money on.

Ginger ale and Pechayud's bitters for me.

Old Lamplighter
02-04-2012, 07:37
Here is a second vote for the Old Fitzgerald 80 proof...IMHO it is terrible, and I don't think it would even work as a mixer.

I recall a few years back getting some of this and finding it utterly undrinkable in any form. Found a better use though....used it for paint thinner & weed killer. I worried for some time afterward that the EPA might show up at my door if anyone saw me.

callmeox
02-04-2012, 11:25
I have half a bottle of Rebel Yell that is going to linger forever.

I feel that my Breaking & Entering is also going to be unfinished for ages.

Put the Rebel Yell in a 375 with a fancy micro label at quadruple the price and people would be raving about how youthful and firey it was.

BBQ+Bourbon
02-08-2012, 08:24
I've dumped several lousy bottles; most were dusties. Being old doesn't make them good. The worst were a dusty Beam that had the flip bail/rubber cork and a Dant BIB. The Beam tasted like perfume and the Dant tasted like the plastic bottle it came in. The Dant worked flawlessly as a grille cleaner; dump in a pint and light er up!

StraightNoChaser
02-08-2012, 08:28
Old Fitz Prime (HH)
Old Fitz BiB (HH)
Kentucky Vintage XO
BMH SmB
WTKS
OForr BB '09

I have kind of picky taste :o

bourboncc
02-08-2012, 09:21
Not a bourbon, but an American Whiskey.

Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. Definitely the worst whiskey I've ever tried, Scotch, Bourbon, or otherwise.

StraightNoChaser
02-08-2012, 09:27

Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. Definitely the worst whiskey I've ever tried, Scotch, Bourbon, or otherwise.
I have heard such terrible things about that bottle. The color itself is sort of sickly

bourboncc
02-08-2012, 09:30
I have heard such terrible things about that bottle. The color itself is sort of sickly

They aged it for 1 month in oak. :rolleyes: Absolutely insane that it's $40/750ml. Luckily it was a gift.

StraightNoChaser
02-08-2012, 09:32
They aged it for 1 month in oak. :rolleyes: Absolutely insane that it's $40/750ml. Luckily it was a gift.
Where do these people get off on selling young juice for so much :slappin:

bourboncc
02-08-2012, 09:34
Where do these people get off on selling young juice for so much :slappin:

I believe they thought their brand equity from their craft beer business would help them out but, as far as I can tell, it hasn't. I've always thought Rogue's beer was overrated and overpriced, so it isn't really surprising that their booze is no good. I was also gifted a bottle of their Hazelnut Rum and am going to attempt to return it to my local Total Wine sans-receipt.

Bourbon Boiler
02-08-2012, 15:25
I don't know why I don't like my bottle of OGD 114. Every tasting note I've ever read makes me think I should love it, but I just don't. I keep it around for comparisons against Basil Hayden when I have curious visitors.

StraightNoChaser
02-08-2012, 16:48
I don't know why I don't like my bottle of OGD 114. Every tasting note I've ever read makes me think I should love it, but I just don't. I keep it around for comparisons against Basil Hayden when I have curious visitors.
+1 on this. I can never get into it.

DeanSheen
02-08-2012, 17:04
OFBB 2007
EC12
JTS Brown BIB

...and I wish I could give back this bottle of Old Rip 15 I have and I would if I could go back in time just so I could snag it again but this time I'd carry it out of the store held high above my head, chanting, in ceremonial procession.

Bourbon Boiler
02-08-2012, 17:37
+1 on this. I can never get into it.

Appriciate the company, but I think we're a distinct minority around here.

callmeox
02-08-2012, 18:49
Appriciate the company, but I think we're a distinct minority around here.

Paging "Burnt Corner of the Brownie Pan" Joe to the thread... :grin:

callmeox
02-08-2012, 18:50
OFBB 2007
EC12
JTS Brown BIB

...and I wish I could give back this bottle of Old Rip 15 I have and I would if I could go back in time just so I could snag it again but this time I'd carry it out of the store held high above my head, chanting, in ceremonial procession.

Sounds like a great story, Rob. You must give more details. :grin:

JayMonster
02-08-2012, 22:06
I don't know why I don't like my bottle of OGD 114. Every tasting note I've ever read makes me think I should love it, but I just don't.

I'm shocked! :bigeyes:

This the first negative on OGD that didn't originate from my keyboard!

BarrelChar
02-08-2012, 23:22
Weller 12.

Look, I adore wheaters (and Wellers) but cannot join the love for Weller 12. I find it a weak, watery one-note mix of vanilla and yeasty citrus with a short, rather alcoholic finish despite the low ABV. No depth or grip. Even for $20+tax, there's plenty of other bottles I'd buy.

It's decent and drinkable, but overrated. One of those bottles where I immediately begin thinking, "Ugh. Well, I can use it for cocktails or hot toddies. Or serve it to my unwanted guests..." Tried mixing it with Weller 107 for the SB blend, which helped a bit.

Compare Weller 12 to the WLW: same age but no comparison, even when diluted to equal proof. Shows the overwhelming power of barrel selection and a lack of filtration.

Bourbon Boiler
02-09-2012, 20:05
I'm shocked! :bigeyes:

This the first negative on OGD that didn't originate from my keyboard!

Sorry if I stole your thunder.

JayMonster
02-09-2012, 20:07
Sorry if I stole your thunder.

Not at all... I just thought I was alone on this island.

bad_scientist
02-09-2012, 20:11
Not at all... I just thought I was alone on this island.

Well, what about it turns you away? I've never had it, but I liked the BiB well enough.

DeanSheen
02-09-2012, 20:26
Sounds like a great story, Rob. You must give more details. :grin:

Ahh not much to say really. At this rate I'm gonna be real flush in 10 years when I add it to a consignment auction:grin:

(in mahh belly!)

JayMonster
02-10-2012, 06:34
Well, what about it turns you away? I've never had it, but I liked the BiB well enough.

Let's see, from my notes, it had a taste reminiscent of an alcohol swab on entry, mid palate taste had a decent wood taste that got overpowered by what I can only describe as xharcoal briquettes and the lingering aftertaste of butane on the finish. (reminded me a lot of food that was grilled before all the lighter fluid had burned off).

I don't remember what the exact taste was when I last tried it 20 years ago, but I do remember it being so bad I wanted no part of bourbon for some time after.

Since this pour was from a bowling alley bar, I sort of want to give it one more fair shot, but to be honest, it was just so offputting, and there are so many goos things out there that I just can't bring myself to do so.

Parkersback
02-10-2012, 07:58
Woodford Reserve Maple Finish. I'm glad I tried it (as per Scott's comment that every bottle is an education), but I lament that I can't have put that $100 to better use in my bourbon budget.

It's basically regular Woodford with a little more sweet up front, and a little more dry, bitter wood tongue depressor in the finish.

StraightNoChaser
02-10-2012, 08:14
Woodford Reserve Maple Finish. I'm glad I tried it (as per Scott's comment that every bottle is an education), but I lament that I can't have put that $100 to better use in my bourbon budget.

It's basically regular Woodford with a little more sweet up front, and a little more dry, bitter wood tongue depressor in the finish.
I feel the same way about EVERY MC from WR. In fact I could hardly tell the difference between the MF and SCF :lol:

Restaurant man
02-10-2012, 20:42
Let's see, from my notes, it had a taste reminiscent of an alcohol swab on entry, mid palate taste had a decent wood taste that got overpowered by what I can only describe as xharcoal briquettes and the lingering aftertaste of butane on the finish. (reminded me a lot of food that was grilled before all the lighter fluid had burned off).

I don't remember what the exact taste was when I last tried it 20 years ago, but I do remember it being so bad I wanted no part of bourbon for some time after.

Since this pour was from a bowling alley bar, I sort of want to give it one more fair shot, but to be honest, it was just so offputting, and there are so many goos things out there that I just can't bring myself to do so.

Seriously should give it another shot. Maybe that foot spray made it into your bottle. Or maybe it was some peaty ass bandaid scotch that got mixed in. Acquired tastes my foot. The bottle I have tastes pretty good. Does anybody have a good vatting recipe for OGD 114?

T Comp
02-10-2012, 21:43
Weller 12.

Look, I adore wheaters (and Wellers) but cannot join the love for Weller 12. I find it a weak, watery one-note mix of vanilla and yeasty citrus with a short, rather alcoholic finish despite the low ABV. No depth or grip. Even for $20+tax, there's plenty of other bottles I'd buy.

It's decent and drinkable, but overrated. One of those bottles where I immediately begin thinking, "Ugh. Well, I can use it for cocktails or hot toddies. Or serve it to my unwanted guests..." Tried mixing it with Weller 107 for the SB blend, which helped a bit.

Compare Weller 12 to the WLW: same age but no comparison, even when diluted to equal proof. Shows the overwhelming power of barrel selection and a lack of filtration.

Can't really disagree with your observations even though I can still keep and finish. I too get more alcohol on both the front and back end of its taste than any other wheater...except the current OF Prime and Rebel Yell abominations. I also get more grain taste than it really should have. I've blind tasted it several times against the other 12 year wheaters of Lot B and VSOF, with Makers thrown in as a ringer, and it always comes in last for me. Still I just recently picked up a bottle I came across for $21 ($28 here at Binny's) as it mingles awfully well with some single barrel OWA's I have and that combo comes closer to WLW.

The only bottle I've dumped down the sink cuz I was never going to finish was an Old Fitz Prime that set me back a whole $8.00 from a Rite-Aid store in Kentucky. My wife tried but couldn't even cook with it.

toddinjax
02-12-2012, 16:56
Ellington Reserve 8 year Canadian. Not strong or hot like paint thinner, just F'n NASTY like paint thinner.

bourboncc
02-12-2012, 19:53

Great news on this one. I figured out that Total Wine allows returns even on opened bottles. I returned this and a bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Rum (both gifts) in exchange for a bottle of Thomas H. Handy. I must say, I am extremely impressed by the THH, it is incredible.

Restaurant man
02-12-2012, 20:32
Great news on this one. I figured out that Total Wine allows returns even on opened bottles. I returned this and a bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Rum (both gifts) in exchange for a bottle of Thomas H. Handy. I must say, I am extremely impressed by the THH, it is incredible.

So drink the handy and fill it with goat piss, bring it back and exchange it for another. And so on and so on. It'll be like you found an old lamp on the beach and rubbed it :woohoo:

Brisko
02-17-2012, 07:23
Interesting topic. I've had a few single malt Scotches that were either bland and boring, or just not very good, but never had the same experience with bourbon.

Up until now. Against my better judgment:skep:, I picked up a liter of Old Fitz BiB. My reasoning was, hey, I like most of the low-end HH products, (even Cabin Still is drinkable at 36 months, if not enjoyable), and I like a few other products that most of you guys hate (Beam rye, for instance) but damn, I think I may have met my match with this one.:bigeyes:

The nose isn't anything special but it's pleasant. And the entry is actually great-- there was a fleeting moment of "man, this could be really good." Sweet, syrupy stewed fruit, cinnamon sticks... about a nanosecond later the finish hits: hot hot hot and really bitter, almost like tree sap. A truly Hobbesian finish: nasty, brutish, and short. At least it was short. Adding water or ice actually made it worse. Ice killed all the sweetness and amplified the bitterness. I didn't try mixing it but I'm not sure it would even be good for that.

Anyway, I'm going to let it breathe for a few weeks before I turn it into drain cleaner. I recall that I was pretty disappointed with my first OWA for a while, too. I don't have high hopes for this one.

Brisko
02-19-2012, 19:47
Interesting topic. I've had a few single malt Scotches that were either bland and boring, or just not very good, but never had the same experience with bourbon.

Up until now. Against my better judgment:skep:, I picked up a liter of Old Fitz BiB. My reasoning was, hey, I like most of the low-end HH products, (even Cabin Still is drinkable at 36 months, if not enjoyable), and I like a few other products that most of you guys hate (Beam rye, for instance) but damn, I think I may have met my match with this one.:bigeyes:

The nose isn't anything special but it's pleasant. And the entry is actually great-- there was a fleeting moment of "man, this could be really good." Sweet, syrupy stewed fruit, cinnamon sticks... about a nanosecond later the finish hits: hot hot hot and really bitter, almost like tree sap. A truly Hobbesian finish: nasty, brutish, and short. At least it was short. Adding water or ice actually made it worse. Ice killed all the sweetness and amplified the bitterness. I didn't try mixing it but I'm not sure it would even be good for that.

Anyway, I'm going to let it breathe for a few weeks before I turn it into drain cleaner. I recall that I was pretty disappointed with my first OWA for a while, too. I don't have high hopes for this one.

Well, honesty compels me to report that upon revisiting this bottle tonight, it's not nearly as bad as I'd originally thought. I have a feeling that my palate was off (way off) the other night because even my go-to glass of OGD BiB was a little bitter in retrospect. Maybe a couple of days of breathing has helped, too.

And as I think back, I have found that wheaters seem to suffer worse on off nights than rye-recipes. I recall ORVW 10/107 being kind of unpredictable.

Anyway, I think the Fitz can stay, for now. It's still pretty tannic on the finish but it's not awful.

Moretorque05
02-28-2012, 14:44
I bought a 1.75L bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve a few months ago because, well, the bottle looks awesome. The stuff inside however is just plain bad. I don't like keeping many bottles open at once and I am struggling to get through it. Waste of $70 for sure.

Brisko
02-28-2012, 21:28
Uppdate on Old Fitz, it's moved up to drinkable. In fact the bottle is half gone. Don't get me wrong, it's not great but it's serviceable at $15. I guess my palate was off.

StraightNoChaser
02-29-2012, 06:52
I bought a 1.75L bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve a few months ago because, well, the bottle looks awesome. The stuff inside however is just plain bad. I don't like keeping many bottles open at once and I am struggling to get through it. Waste of $70 for sure.
On the bright side you could make a pretty cool bong out of it

http://i.imgur.com/xpYnr.jpg

anyexcuse
03-30-2012, 19:36
Uppdate on Old Fitz, it's moved up to drinkable. In fact the bottle is half gone. Don't get me wrong, it's not great but it's serviceable at $15. I guess my palate was off.

I kinda like Old Fitz BIB. I don't like it as much as Wellers Reserve, which is a little more money, but around here it is the cheapest wheater I've found that I find drinkable. Glad you don't mind it!

Brisko
03-30-2012, 21:56
I kinda like Old Fitz BIB. I don't like it as much as Wellers Reserve, which is a little more money, but around here it is the cheapest wheater I've found that I find drinkable. Glad you don't mind it!

I "kinda" like it too:grin:. It's gone now, but I have some HH Gold label BiB in it's place. The Old Fitz was nice and simple, and sweet. My only complaint is that it never did stand up to ice very well (which the Gold label does admirably). I imagine I will be replacing it, though. I'm a sucker for BiBs for some reason.

anyexcuse
04-06-2012, 21:39
I "kinda" like it too:grin:. It's gone now, but I have some HH Gold label BiB in it's place. The Old Fitz was nice and simple, and sweet. My only complaint is that it never did stand up to ice very well (which the Gold label does admirably). I imagine I will be replacing it, though. I'm a sucker for BiBs for some reason.

For some reason I never cared for HH BIB although I have bought it a few times hoping, but Old Heaven Hill 8 year has been my favorite cheap pour for years. To each his or her own!

(OGD BIB is one of my favorites, although a very different bourbon from Old Fitz BIB!)

bad_scientist
04-07-2012, 10:12
After a year of regretting these purchases, I'm coming around to Macallan Cask Strength and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (finished in port casks). I've despaired that I'd never drink them, but now I am proving that I am able!

Not much else to say, really. I bought them shortly before I had my first great bourbon, and since then, scotch - except for Springbank, because it's awesome - got moved to the back of the closet.

soad
04-07-2012, 13:01

Did you use that the night you talked to Harlen??

J/k....kinda :skep:

Bmac
04-07-2012, 16:03
I wish I could give back the Old Grand Dad 86 that a buddy at work suggested I get. I know there is a lot of love out there for Old Grand Dad....but this bottle is pure nast. Unpalatable, undrinkable, unmixable and just sits there taking up valuable real-estate in my bar.

Although, I will say several months later the nose is starting to improve but, after that soapy taste...I am too scared to give it a second shot.

BTW, that bong was an awesome conversion.

sob0728
04-07-2012, 16:30
After a year of regretting these purchases, I'm coming around to Macallan Cask Strength and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (finished in port casks). I've despaired that I'd never drink them, but now I am proving that I am able!

Not much else to say, really. I bought them shortly before I had my first great bourbon, and since then, scotch - except for Springbank, because it's awesome - got moved to the back of the closet.

Personally, I really liked the Quinta Ruban.

tommyj1986
04-07-2012, 17:26
I've picked up quite a few that I've been disappointed with but bought out of curiosity. The biggest one is the WR MC Sugar Maple Finish, disappointing at its price point, maybe even at a 1/3rd of the price. Most recently though a HH Old Fitz 1849.

Bmac
04-07-2012, 18:20
I've picked up quite a few that I've been disappointed with but bought out of curiosity. The biggest one is the WR MC Sugar Maple Finish, disappointing at its price point, maybe even at a 1/3rd of the price. Most recently though a HH Old Fitz 1849.

In regards.to the WR MC Maple Wood Finish, let it air out for.a while, it's starts to pickup some caramel.sweetness. At least mine did. I was disappointed with it too, now it's very good.

tommyj1986
04-07-2012, 18:27
In regards.to the WR MC Maple Wood Finish, let it air out for.a while, it's starts to pickup some caramel.sweetness. At least mine did. I was disappointed with it too, now it's very good.
Good to know, mines been open a while and I haven't tried it in over 6 months, have to give it a try again soon.

spinningrecords
04-11-2012, 05:29

That picture bums me out.

jaycamm
04-11-2012, 05:51
Whipper Snapper Oregon Spirit Whiskey. It's hands down the worst the bottle I've ever opened. It tastes like corn whiskey mixed with red wine but worse.

sutton
04-11-2012, 05:57
HH Old Fitz BiB - when this was BoTM, I bought it to try and liked it - although there was a bit of a minty edge to it, it was a decent sipper while grilling on the back porch. I finished it rather quickly (for me) over the next couple of months and went back to the same store to replace it.

The second bottle is still sitting on my shelf - just awful. Best I can describe it from the nose through the finish: dirty, raw herbs, bitter mint. I couldn't believe how different from my first experience.

Since then, I've used it for bourbon hot dogs for the Super Bowl, and that was not bad. I've tried it a few more times but can't get past the first sip. I don't drink much, so I can't waste my bourbon quota on this stuff. I might buy a bottle of MM and blend 50:1 with the HH just to see if I can get it down over the next decade or so...

Kalessin
04-11-2012, 09:43
HH Old Fitz BiB - [...]

Since then, I've used it for bourbon hot dogs for the Super Bowl, and that was not bad. I've tried it a few more times but can't get past the first sip. I don't drink much, so I can't waste my bourbon quota on this stuff. I might buy a bottle of MM and blend 50:1 with the HH just to see if I can get it down over the next decade or so...

MM may not get a lot of love around here, but it doesn't deserve that...

At the predictetd rate of consumption, it's probably better to just use the Old Fitz BiB as a rinse for your kitchen sink drain and free up the space for a bottle of something nicer...

sutton
04-11-2012, 10:01
MM may not get a lot of love around here, but it doesn't deserve that...

At the predictetd rate of consumption, it's probably better to just use the Old Fitz BiB as a rinse for your kitchen sink drain and free up the space for a bottle of something nicer...

:grin: Don't get me wrong - I like MM. I was just hoping I might be able to bury the HH behind it at 50:1 ... after all, I need a decent, reasonably priced wheater to bury 750ml of HH Old Fitz over the next 10 years (yeah, I bought a litre of it).

And ... I'm not sure I want to do that to the sewer system. I might be violating some EPA/hazmat law...

CorvallisCracker
04-11-2012, 10:12
Try adding 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon of liquid smoke, and a tablespoon of dry sherry. If it's still undrinkable, send it to Cooks Illustrated with a note stating, "Tried it, didn't work. YOU drink it."

Phil T
04-11-2012, 17:40
I bought an ER 17 from the '11 BTAC. From the 1st pour, it was not very good. Grassy, musty, dirty. Just kind of bland. I struggled to drink 2/3's of the bottle. The rest went down the drain. Life's to short to drink bad bourbon.

beerfactory
04-11-2012, 17:58
I'd like to give back my $11 bottle of Mellow Corn. I just can't seem to stop pouring it.

BarrelChar
04-11-2012, 18:02
My 375 ML bottle of Buffalo Trace. Inexpensive? Yes. But it's exceedingly average to the point of being boring. Rather than dump it, I now use it for cooking and will keep it around in case I need to disinfect any open wounds.

sob0728
04-11-2012, 18:13
I bought an ER 17 from the '11 BTAC. From the 1st pour, it was not very good. Grassy, musty, dirty. Just kind of bland. I struggled to drink 2/3's of the bottle. The rest went down the drain. Life's to short to drink bad bourbon.

That is surprising to me. I really like the bottle I have. It is not a good value by any means, but it is the opposite of undrinkable. I don't think I would ever drop $60 on another bottle, but I do enjoy it.

Phil T
04-11-2012, 18:21
That is surprising to me. I really like the bottle I have. It is not a good value by any means, but it is the opposite of undrinkable. I don't think I would ever drop $60 on another bottle, but I do enjoy it.

A very popular term on this forum..YMMV certainly applies here.

Bmac
04-11-2012, 18:40

My open bottle of ER17 is superb. Even from the moment i opened it. I am now wondering with the BTAC release how a bad bottle slips in. Arent they batched altogether or are they a series of small batches?

Ian S.
04-11-2012, 21:14
A few bottles of WR and a bottle of J.W. Dant BIB.

AaronWF
04-11-2012, 21:45

You're in Ohio? Not too far a drive from Chicago. Next time you're planning on pouring out an ER17, let me know and maybe I'll make the drive to save it from the drain...