PDA

View Full Version : In The Middle of Bourbon Country!

Kyjd75
02-06-2012, 15:16
Hello folks. I'm an old guy from Ky (near Elizabethtown) who has been lurking for awhile on this site, and decided it was time to join. Although I've lived in Ky most of my life, didn't start exploring bourbon until I got hooked on "Justified" and the weekly display of all things bourbon on the show. Wife and I decided it was only appropriate to start enjoying a little bourbon while enjoying the show.

Now two years later, I've learned a lot about bourbon, its place in Ky history, and the importance of Bardstown and the surrounding area to the bourbon industry. We live about 20 miles from Bardstown and visit there frequently.

So far, I've found that I enjoy most bourbons, with only a few that I definitely don't like, and a few more I am ambivalent about. I have managed to secure a nice supply of PVW 15 and ORVW 10/107, but unfortunately my attempts to secure some GTS have met with naught.

I also really like the Beam Small Batch series, as well as their Old Granddad line. EWSB, 4R1B, AAA 10 year are some others that I like. Certainly no expert, I hope to continue to learn, and perhaps occasionally join in with a comment or two when I feel like it.

I am looking forward to now being an actual member!

Ejmharris
02-06-2012, 17:40
Welcome and it looks like you are in the right place for you new found interest. I always look forward to E'town as it is half way to the in-laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p_elliott
02-07-2012, 07:52
Welcome to the site! Now that your a member you can post away come join us in chat some time. If you live 20 miles from Bardstown come join us at the gazebo behind the General Nelson Motel the week of the Sampler and the week of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. People start rolling in on about Wednesday.

Kyjd75
02-07-2012, 07:55
Welcome and it looks like you are in the right place for you new found interest. I always look forward to E'town as it is half way to the in-laws.

If you pass through Elizabethtown on a regular basis, you might be interested in knowing that soon (perhaps even later this month) there will be liquor stores opening in the city. Yes, Elizabethtown, Radcliff and Vine Grove finally voted to go wet. :shocked: 12 licenses to be issued for E'town, maybe 8 for Radcliff and not sure how many for VG. Big rumor is that Liquor Barn is coming.

A shopping stopover may be something to consider.

JayMonster
02-07-2012, 14:13
Welcome Aboard! Look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

ckgdrums
02-16-2012, 14:42
Welcome from Kansas. I too enjoy Justified. How fortunate that you live right in the heart of Bourbon country.

Ejmharris
02-16-2012, 16:12
I too enjoy Justified.

Ditto.... Best show on tv right now. First season was great, last season was ok, this season has been fantastic.

TheDude
02-28-2012, 19:43
Welcome neighbor! I'm a newbie myself, and its nice to have another fellow Kentuckian learning the ropes with me.

Btw...don't overlook Louisville when you are studying your bourbon lore. The S-W distillery is still in Shively (although not producing, they have a bunch of bourbon in storage there) and of course the Bernhein distillery (DSP-1) is still in full swing. I don't know if they give tours, but the Brown-Foreman cooperage does and it is pretty cool.

Shawn