PDA

View Full Version : Once a year allocation for Pappy?

Restaurant man
02-06-2012, 15:56
I got it on good authority today that after the spring release, Buffalo Trace and Vanwinkle have decided to go with 1 annual allocation. It is there way of dealing with the HYSTERIA and hoards of angry people who have been left out.

stevegoz
02-06-2012, 16:45
Wasn't there some other claim/rumor that there wouldn't be a spring 2012 allocation?

Old Lamplighter
02-06-2012, 17:13
I sure did not expect to see one this spring. All I heard during the onrush of Nov-Dec, was that it would be 'same time next year'. It sure would be nice to have one though without all the holiday hoopla. Maybe it might even show up on a few shelves again.

Ejmharris
02-06-2012, 17:36
The conspiracy theorist in me says the spring release will just go to international markets where they even a higher premium. Are we really supposed to be believe a company these days is here to look out for our best interest and release when it won't cause such hysteria. I know these guys are a lot more open about their products, so if they announce it I will trust it more but I will still do so with a lot of apprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmarkle
02-06-2012, 18:11
Sigh. I hate the fact that it's basically impossible to get any old wheaters at ALL.

Weller 12 -> Nearly impossible to find.
ORVW -> Well... you know...
Old Fitz 12 -> Never seen it.
PHC 10 year -> seen it, far away, for a lot of money.

:hot:

chefnash51
02-06-2012, 19:07
They already posted on FB that they are bottling the spring 2012 release, and that was weeks ago.

stevegoz
02-06-2012, 19:58
They already posted on FB that they are bottling the spring 2012 release, and that was weeks ago.

Ah, yes. On January 10 ORVWD posted the following:

We are sampling barrels for the spring release. We will post when we have a better idea of when the release will go out.

No newer news on FB.

Beer&Bourbon
02-06-2012, 20:09
I see that they're having a spring release so it's really a moot point, but why wouldn't they want to have one. They don't care how difficult it is to get; in fact it's only beneficial to them if you hear about it long before you get to try it. The mystique will obviously color your first sip when you eventually get to try some. Trickling it out in both a spring and fall release means that people are always talking about it.

Limited release with continued discussion/ appreciation leads to higher demand and, thus, higher prices/ profits. It's a brilliant business strategy and likely the end of the era of huge amounts being bunkered away in our cellars.

AaronWF
02-06-2012, 20:38
I see that they're having a spring release so it's really a moot point, but why wouldn't they want to have one. They don't care how difficult it is to get; in fact it's only beneficial to them if you hear about it long before you get to try it. The mystique will obviously color your first sip when you eventually get to try some. Trickling it out in both a spring and fall release means that people are always talking about it.

Limited release with continued discussion/ appreciation leads to higher demand and, thus, higher prices/ profits. It's a brilliant business strategy and likely the end of the era of huge amounts being bunkered away in our cellars.

Out of all the wheated variations coming from BT, the Pappy 15 blows them all out of the water. WLW comes closest, but to my palate, Pappy barrel selection took priority in '11 and I hope it continues to be so selective going forward.

BFerguson
02-06-2012, 20:52
Sigh. I hate the fact that it's basically impossible to get any old wheaters at ALL.

Weller 12 -> Nearly impossible to find.
ORVW -> Well... you know...
Old Fitz 12 -> Never seen it.
PHC 10 year -> seen it, far away, for a lot of money.

:hot:

It sad, but recently it seems like its been easier to get the PHC 10 than any of the other listed above- at least from what I've seen. That's just seems plain wrong.

B

smokinjoe
02-06-2012, 20:54
This is the most exciting news to hit these boards in months!!!!! Now, I only have to get through the fortyeleven PVW threads that coincide with it's release just once per year!!! Only once per year will I have to gut it through......"Anybody know when Pappy's release date is?"; "Wahoo, I'm the first to report seeing Pappy in a store!!!!! :woohoo:"; "My store only got 1 bottle of 15. :smiley_acbt::banghead:::hot::smiley_acbt:. How many did your store get???" "Is Pappy 15 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 20 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 23 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Damn this chafes my shorts, the 15 yr is $114 here!!! :hot::hot::hot:How much is it in your area???"; "Hi my name is Mort, i just signed up here...can anyone tell me where I can buy Pappy?"; "Anybody seen Pappy in Cooter Station, West Virginia yet?"; "Hey, can anyone tell me if my bottle is Stitzel-Weller?"; "Sound off! Who has their Pappy?"; "This Pappy is great juice....Who agrees with me?!?!?!":bowdown::bowdown:; "Good News! Webcam showing Pappy being bottled today!!!!"; "So, when did Stitzel-Weller stop distilling?"; "How much do the Pappy's cost in your area??"; "Somebody stole my Pappy!! :hot::hot::hot:"; "Why can't they just start up Stitzel-Weller again??:(:(:(:("; "Preston just tweeted that Pappy 15 is really 15 years and 3 MONTHS!!!!!" :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:; "Are we sure the 15 year is now BT??????"; "Goodbye all, I dropped my Pappy....BANG!! :pope:"; "What's 1,992 + 15???"; "Is Stizzel-Willur still distilling?"; "What should I do with my 17 bottles of Pappy 15???" :confused::confused:; "Is E-Bay a good place to buy Pappy 15??" :confused::confused:; "I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone know if the current release of Pappy 15 is from the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery??"

Ahhhhh. The Springs will be so nice....:bis::bis::bis:

trumpstylz
02-06-2012, 20:55
It sad, but recently it seems like its been easier to get the PHC 10 than any of the other listed above- at least from what I've seen. That's just seems plain wrong.

B

PHC 10 is long gone from this area.

SeaninSD
02-06-2012, 21:58
Out of all the wheated variations coming from BT, the Pappy 15 blows them all out of the water. WLW comes closest, but to my palate, Pappy barrel selection took priority in '11 and I hope it continues to be so selective going forward.

I'll take the WLW over Pappy 15 any day. I've tried to like the Pappy 15, but I'm not getting the hype. I like the BTAC a lot more and it easier to find and cheaper.

Phil T
02-07-2012, 04:03
Freaking hilarious Joe, I don't think you missed a thing!!!:bowdown:

Edit:: Ooops...you totally missed the dot matrix coding thingy

fishnbowljoe
02-07-2012, 05:19
Atta Boy Joe. :grin: I know it's only February, but........ that has post of the year written all over it. :bowdown:

BigRich
02-07-2012, 06:57
Joe,

I'm not the most perceptive fellow around but I'm sensing a little annoyance. Maybe some sarcasm?

p_elliott
02-07-2012, 08:29
This is the most exciting news to hit these boards in months!!!!! Now, I only have to get through the fortyeleven PVW threads that coincide with it's release just once per year!!! Only once per year will I have to gut it through......"Anybody know when Pappy's release date is?"; "Wahoo, I'm the first to report seeing Pappy in a store!!!!! :woohoo:"; "My store only got 1 bottle of 15. :smiley_acbt::banghead:::hot::smiley_acbt:. How many did your store get???" "Is Pappy 15 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 20 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 23 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Damn this chafes my shorts, the 15 yr is $114 here!!! :hot::hot::hot:How much is it in your area???"; "Hi my name is Mort, i just signed up here...can anyone tell me where I can buy Pappy?"; "Anybody seen Pappy in Cooter Station, West Virginia yet?"; "Hey, can anyone tell me if my bottle is Stitzel-Weller?"; "Sound off! Who has their Pappy?"; "This Pappy is great juice....Who agrees with me?!?!?!":bowdown::bowdown:; "Good News! Webcam showing Pappy being bottled today!!!!"; "So, when did Stitzel-Weller stop distilling?"; "How much do the Pappy's cost in your area??"; "Somebody stole my Pappy!! :hot::hot::hot:"; "Why can't they just start up Stitzel-Weller again??:(:(:(:("; "Preston just tweeted that Pappy 15 is really 15 years and 3 MONTHS!!!!!" :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:; "Are we sure the 15 year is now BT??????"; "Goodbye all, I dropped my Pappy....BANG!! :pope:"; "What's 1,992 + 15???"; "Is Stizzel-Willur still distilling?"; "What should I do with my 17 bottles of Pappy 15???" :confused::confused:; "Is E-Bay a good place to buy Pappy 15??" :confused::confused:; "I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone know if the current release of Pappy 15 is from the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery??"

Ahhhhh. The Springs will be so nice....:bis::bis::bis:

You hit the nail on the head with that post Joe. That is half of this board twice a year! :smiley_acbt:

Tico
02-07-2012, 09:28
lol, love it joe!

Lost Pollito
02-07-2012, 09:32
Thank You Joe! Gotta be my favorite post.:grin:

White Dog
02-07-2012, 11:19
Outstanding, Joe!

I think the 15yrs and 3 months Preston tweet was my favorite part.:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Restaurant man
02-08-2012, 07:48
Ohh and I forgot to mention the 10 year 90 proof is history. Probably no love lost here. Might see it in the spring but then it gets dropped. According to my source with sazerac

callmeox
02-08-2012, 20:00
Joe, thanks for remnding me why I love this place so.

Bravissimo!

SeaninSD
02-08-2012, 20:12
Ohh and I forgot to mention the 10 year 90 proof is history. Probably no love lost here. Might see it in the spring but then it gets dropped. According to my source with sazerac

Will that mean more 10/107? Or is that just wishful thinking!:grin:

STLbourbon
02-08-2012, 23:40
Is the Weller 12 year really that hard to find around the country? Not here...

STLb

greens
02-09-2012, 00:55

STLb

Nor here. Shelves upon shelves of it in Houston. 750ml, Liter, 1.75L...take your pick.

wmpevans
02-09-2012, 04:50

STLb

For whatever reason Weller 12 is not distributed in Georgia. Makes no sense if it's readily available in MO and TX. :frown:

JayMonster
02-09-2012, 04:50

STLb

Weller 12 (and Weller Special Reserve) simply do not exist here in NJ at all, and even Weller Antique can only be found in one or two shops (special order),

BigRich
02-09-2012, 06:41
For whatever reason Weller 12 is not distributed in Georgia. Makes no sense if it's readily available in MO and TX. :frown:

I think there was an issue some years back with Jimmy and "flame retardants" if I'm not mistaken.

smokinjoe
02-09-2012, 06:44

Bill, I can't speak Mazzurah, but I'm sure Texas is on the 12 yr distribution list because more Weller is sold there than in any other state in the country. WSR is the well pour in just about every bar around.

The Boozer
02-09-2012, 06:47
Joe hits another out of the park! :lol:

Can one of the moderators put all the Pappy-Van Winkle-Weller posts in one Thread so we can clean up the rest of the site.
Make it the universal garage dump for all comments relating to anything Pappy-Weller or VW.

sob0728
02-13-2012, 11:46
Can one of the moderators put all the Pappy-Van Winkle-Weller posts in one Thread so we can clean up the rest of the site.
Make it the universal garage dump for all comments relating to anything Pappy-Weller or VW.

They had better do it soon. The Van Winkles just announced on Facebook that the Spring bottling is complete.

Ruby K
02-13-2012, 23:20
Weller 12 (and Weller Special Reserve) simply do not exist here in NJ at all, and even Weller Antique can only be found in one or two shops (special order),

Suprisingly tough to find here in NYC, actually- I only know of two stores that have it on the regular, most places don't, and look at me with five heads when I ask about it.

LostBottle
02-13-2012, 23:54
Once a year? At this point, they could release it once a decade for all I care.

I officially have Pappy fatigue and will not be actively looking to buy. If I run into it on a store shelf at a decent price, I will pick it up, but I refuse to pay eBay prices or wait an hour in line for the 'privilege' of purchasing a single bottle. This is especially true when the 15 is no longer SW and the 20 is going the same route.

Besides, I have found some phenomenal ryes that blow any of the Pappys, SW or not, out of the water.

greens
02-14-2012, 01:05
Besides, I have found some phenomenal ryes that blow any of the Pappys, SW or not, out of the water.

Please do share the names of these fine ryes.

stevegoz
02-14-2012, 08:06
Facebook update:

The spring allocation will include everything except the rye. Most markets who received a fall allocation will receive a spring allocation.

:cry:

LostBottle
02-14-2012, 22:32
Please do share the names of these fine ryes.

Keep in mind this is all my opinion and taste is a very subjective thing. That said, I would take the Saz18 or Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye over any Pappy expression. The problem is, these bottles are also very scarce.

As far as more readily available rye, I prefer a Thomas H Handy to any Pappy 15/20/23 and would choose a High West Rendezvous, High West 16, or Whistlepig over the PVW15 or 23.

Old Lamplighter
02-21-2012, 10:04
They had better do it soon. The Van Winkles just announced on Facebook that the Spring bottling is complete.

Over the course of the last 7-10 days, I have made the rounds thru most of the places where I saw VW during & after the fall release. It seems nobody knows anything about a spring release in these parts, or, they are just playing dumb. I can't even get anybody to put me on a 'call' list. They look at me like I'm crazy and dismiss the idea just about altogether. :banghead: I guess I'll just keep knocking on doors & heads until the bottles begin to show up...lol. Not getting a chance at any rye is quite a downer though. :cry:

JayMonster
02-21-2012, 14:01
Over the course of the last 7-10 days, I have made the rounds thru most of the places where I saw VW during & after the fall release. It seems nobody knows anything about a spring release in these parts, or, they are just playing dumb. I can't even get anybody to put me on a 'call' list. They look at me like I'm crazy and dismiss the idea just about altogether. :banghead: I guess I'll just keep knocking on doors & heads until the bottles begin to show up...lol. Not getting a chance at any rye is quite a downer though. :cry:

They are actually posting when each area is shipping on Facebook. So perhaps, you can hold off on the knocking on heads until you see the shipment announcement.

(So far VT has shipped, NH shipping 3/1, ID 2/23, Montana 3/1 according to the FB Page).

autiger23
02-21-2012, 15:18
They are actually posting when each area is shipping on Facebook. So perhaps, you can hold off on the knocking on heads until you see the shipment announcement.

(So far VT has shipped, NH shipping 3/1, ID 2/23, Montana 3/1 according to the FB Page).

They have been announcing it that way for the last 4 allocations.

CADMixes
02-21-2012, 20:08
Surprised to see a NH shipment (didn't think there was one last fall). I'll be keeping an eye on their inventory site for sure.

Old Lamplighter
02-21-2012, 21:58
They have been announcing it that way for the last 4 allocations.

Thanx...I have railed, cursed & rained so much hell against all the female FB use in my household, that I will have to go into a closet to use it. I'll be home alone tomorrow, so I will check it then. Thanx again!

Hershmeister
02-22-2012, 10:08
Thanx...I have railed, cursed & rained so much hell against all the female FB use in my household, that I will have to go into a closet to use it. I'll be home alone tomorrow, so I will check it then. Thanx again!

Just follow the facebook page rss feed. That way you don't have to actually use Facebook

Bmac
02-22-2012, 13:35
A store manager here in Texas told me his "Sazerac" rep was bringing an allotment of VW products in 2 to 3 weeks.