PDA

View Full Version : Is there a newbie dusty list?

vrocco
02-15-2012, 14:07
So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles. Skip to ten years later, he's a well seasoned bourbon expert and sees a bottle being discussed that no one can find. He recalls seeing this same bottle in that dusty little corner store years ago, but didn't know enough to buy it then.

What are the bottles that a newbie should know to buy and hold onto if ever he should see them?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about investment bourbon or flipping it on ebay for a million dollars someday, I'm talking about a good drinking bourbon that just can't be found anymore. Or perhaps one that is getting harder to find. Or perhaps one that can be found easily today, but may not be in ten years.

I live in Pennsylvania, we don't get a great selection of bourbons. If I am traveling to another state, I would like to know if I see something that is worth buying. For the sake of conversation, give me your top 5 "must buy if I see" bourbons.

bourboncc
02-15-2012, 15:51
So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles. Skip to ten years later, he's a well seasoned bourbon expert and sees a bottle being discussed that no one can find. He recalls seeing this same bottle in that dusty little corner store years ago, but didn't know enough to buy it then.

What are the bottles that a newbie should know to buy and hold onto if ever he should see them?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about investment bourbon or flipping it on ebay for a million dollars someday, I'm talking about a good drinking bourbon that just can't be found anymore. Or perhaps one that is getting harder to find. Or perhaps one that can be found easily today, but may not be in ten years.

I live in Pennsylvania, we don't get a great selection of bourbons. If I am traveling to another state, I would like to know if I see something that is worth buying. For the sake of conversation, give me your top 5 "must buy if I see" bourbons.

I would also love this. I am new to the whole "dusty hunting" thing, and it seems like Miami might be largely untapped.

dohidied
02-15-2012, 15:55
OGD BIB DSP-14
Old Forester BIB DSP-414
Any Weller bottled in Louisville or Old Fitzgerald DSP-16
WTKS Pewter tops
WTRB old labels, especially the 01-91 bottling

bourboncc
02-15-2012, 15:56
Pictures would also be incredibly helpful.

smokinjoe
02-15-2012, 16:01
How 'bout you fellas using the search function, and play around the site for a few days? Do some of your own research? Maybe, come to a Sampler, Fall Festival, or two? You'll learn a TON about dusties.

Y'all need to put a little more into it than just asking for a list...

bourboncc
02-15-2012, 16:05
How 'bout you fellas using the search function, and play around the site for a few days? Do some of your own research? Maybe, come to a Sampler, Fall Festival, or two? You'll learn a TON about dusties.

Been trying to do that for the past few days, but unfortunately sometimes it's a bit like trying to decipher code when listening to you guys talking about dusties. :lol: I've searched for articles online too, but have largely come up with anything that isn't vague at best.

Also, I would LOVE to come to any of the events you listed, but I get very little vacation time and would have a hard time affording a trip like that with my wife in graduate school.

I am hoping to visit the Bourbon Trail around Thanksgiving while I'm visiting my parents in Atlanta, and will hopefully be able to meet up with a few of you guys then. I just need to convince my dad and brother that they want to drive to Kentucky with me!

dohidied
02-15-2012, 16:11

Ok, fine. *clanging in the bunker*

Here's everything I mentioned except the Weller and Fitz. I haven't had the good fortune to find those yet. On the WTRB, the lot number is on the neck.

bourboncc
02-15-2012, 16:15
Ok, fine. *clanging in the bunker*

Here's everything I mentioned except the Weller and Fitz. I haven't had the good fortune to find those yet. On the WTRB, the lot number is on the neck.

Thank you! Much easier to memorize what the label looks like than try to memorize the numbers.

hectic1
02-15-2012, 16:24

Y'all need to put a little more into it than just asking for a list... You tell em Joe...you forgot to tell them to wear their ND gear to the Sampler...it will get you noticed! :cool:

Halifax
02-15-2012, 16:46
Lists...? Pictures...? LMAO. :rolleyes:

CaptainQ
02-15-2012, 17:26

It must be a Millennial Generation thing....

callmeox
02-15-2012, 18:11

How about I just leave my cabinets unlocked and the keys to the house under the mat?

callmeox
02-15-2012, 18:20

There are plenty of pictures in the dusty threads.

Don't think of this as dealing with a bunch of grouchy jerks...we are teaching you to fish. :lol:

c2walker
02-15-2012, 18:43

I think a detailed map with where to locate each bottle would also be useful. Please include phone numbers and prices as well. ;)

Brisko
02-15-2012, 18:53

start in this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15200

Read the entire thing. There are plenty of pictures and pretty much every dusty you could want (and a few you wouldn't) are discussed. Take notes. If you want more, there is a link in the first post of that thread to an older one which you should also read.

Then there is the current "Dusty finds" thread which should be pretty well established by the time you get done reading the other two.:cool:

The Boozer
02-15-2012, 19:11
How about I just leave my cabinets unlocked and the keys to the house under the mat?

What time you going to work?

Josh & I will be there tomorrow in my truck

Tim

AaronWF
02-15-2012, 19:40
I think the responses to the thread question can aptly be summarized thusly: No. No, there is no newbie dusty list. Dustys lie in hibernation waiting to be awoken by an educated, experienced hunter who knows how to spot them and relishes in the history and education that lies in their juices.

Dusty and newbie are not meant to be combined. You can be new to dusty hunting, most everyone under 45 years old these days will likely be new to dusty hunting at some point.

Part of the novelty in dustys is that they are often hidden in plain sight. If you see a dusty one day but don't buy it because you don't recognize it as such, then discover while doing some research that you may have passed over a delicious bottle that could have afforded you a rare tasting pleasure, then return to the spot only to find that someone else yanked it out from under your nose, well, rest assured that that dusty found a nice home with someone who will appreciate it.

Or, more to the point as Joe pointed out: Screw you and your shortcuts!

nivto
02-15-2012, 19:43
the easiest one is ND OGD handles

There's no mistaking those bottles :grin:

Restaurant man
02-15-2012, 20:07
[QUOTE=AaronWF;275043]I think the responses to the thread question can aptly be summarized thusly: No. No, there is no newbie dusty list. Dustys lie in hibernation waiting to be awoken by an educated, experienced hunter who knows how to spot them and relishes in the history and education that lies in their juices.

Dusty and newbie are not meant to be combined. You can be new to dusty hunting, most everyone under 45 years old these days will likely be new to dusty hunting at some point.

Part of the novelty in dustys is that they are often hidden in plain sight. If you see a dusty one day but don't buy it because you don't recognize it as such, then discover while doing some research that you may have passed over a delicious bottle that could have afforded you a rare tasting pleasure, then return to the spot only to find that someone else yanked it out from under
your nose, well, rest assured that that dusty found a nice home with someone who will appreciate it.

This is sheer poetry.

T Comp
02-15-2012, 22:28
And I'd kindly remind that just 10 days ago there were 1,195 people on the sight at one time. Your doing yourself a favor, if your serious about non flea bay dusties, to do the harder search function research and leave well enough alone. It can still be our own little playground, just have to play smarter.

mrviognier
02-16-2012, 05:48
I think a detailed map with where to locate each bottle would also be useful. Please include phone numbers and prices as well. ;)

Screw that. Can you pick up a few extra for me next time you come across them? I'll forward you my credit card number. :grin:

hectic1
02-16-2012, 05:57
Threads like these crack me up...seriously...someone really asked for this to happen? :rolleyes:

callmeox
02-16-2012, 06:28
Threads like these crack me up...seriously...someone really asked for this to happen? :rolleyes:

We need a sign at the door like they have at amusement parks:

Line Jumping is Cause For Ejection From SB

:lol:

bad_scientist
02-16-2012, 06:37
Okay, now that a lot of people have taken turns saying the exact same thing, can it stop? The point is made.

I have not asked anyone for locations of whiskey, but I have been asked several times for addresses and, except for one time, have tried to help. I don't mind sharing, as long as it doesn't directly interfere with something I intend to buy soon.

sailor22
02-16-2012, 07:50
So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles.

We were all there when we started, and I am pretty sure we all wished we had the list your referring to.

But in time we learned that the ONLY way to learn is to buy what looks interesting and or old and sample it. It's your palate after all and just being old doesn't necessarily make it better FOR YOU regardless of other peoples opinion.
The thrill of discovery trumps the ease of following recommendations every time.
Plus having the bottle in your possession will give you time to study the label and the bottle. Then use the search function and learn about some of the history of the iteration you have if that sort of thing interests you.

Even after some of the seeming gruff comments I think you would find most of the posters would be more than happy to share their knowledge and dusty pours with you in person at a social gathering like the Gazebo during the sampler or some other get together. This really is a friendly community but it gets a little defensive when it feels like it is being taken advantage of.

vrocco
02-16-2012, 07:59
I have apparently breached some type of protocol by asking a question here. I sincerely apologize. I am reading and trying to learn. While learning from your own mistakes and sweat is considered working hard, I think that being able to learn from other people's mistakes is considered working smart.

I'd like to thank each of you for your responses. From the helpful (the guy who dug out a few bottles and snapped a pic), to the humorous (the guy who is leaving me the keys under the mat), to the condescending. Each response gives a unique glimpse into the personalities on the forum.

I hope you can forgive my apparent breach of protocol or courtesy and write this thread off as the post of a foolish newbie. I will read quietly now and look forward to the day when I can contribute something of value to the community here.

Thanks!

callmeox
02-16-2012, 08:08
Hang around here enough and meet these folks in person and you will learn that theres a lot of ball busting going on.

I think most of the replies were good natured jabs so don't be offended.

Read and learn, thats your best bet.

hectic1
02-16-2012, 08:16
Hang around here enough and meet these folks in person and you will learn that theres a lot of ball busting going on.

That's what I did and now I don't even get mad at Scott's jabs! ;)

vrocco
02-16-2012, 08:20

I have broad shoulders, I don't offend easily. No worries there. I just didn't wish to offend anyone here by coming across as a gold digger looking to make a buck on dusties.

c2walker
02-16-2012, 08:46
I have broad shoulders, I don't offend easily. No worries there. I just didn't wish to offend anyone here by coming across as a gold digger looking to make a buck on dusties.

Your post came across as innocent. Think of the above comments as mild hazing. I'm new to the bourbon game as well, but you learn very very quickly by hanging around this board. Also, don't let this thread deter you. I've learned that many people here are extremely generous and helpful!

timd
02-16-2012, 10:30
My experience with dusties:

There's not one person on here who collects dusties that wouldn't pour you as as as many of them as you want whenever you want...
But they will NOT tell you where they got them...
Or what the "best" ones areFor the super lazy, this actually works out well - you don't have to find the dusties, just the people who have them (and they are pretty open!)

99% of the fun with dusties is figuring out what you like/enjoy (where the sharing comes in very handy!) and then hunting them down and finding them yourself. There's just that rush of landing a really great old find - at a ridiculous price (compared to what you'd be willing to pay for it) and taking it home and sharing it with some buddies.

There's FAR more cool dusties to look for beyond SW juice, too. It's finding your pallets nirvana that is the hardest work. Anybody can tell you to find SW juice, but what if you (heaven forbid) aren't partial to wheaters? That's where the research and social gatherings come in to the equation.

Otherwise, there's always eBay...:rolleyes:

Young Blacksmith
02-16-2012, 11:55
but what if you (heaven forbid) aren't partial to wheaters?

This describes my problem! Give me an OGD or EC-12 any day. I can stomach OWA and Weller 12, but they just leave me wanting more.

And those dusty hunting threads are the gold mine! Read them, hunt, read, hunt, it's just like learning anything else. Eventually you get the hang of it and start finding little stores with tons of stock.

Neat
02-16-2012, 14:40
And those dusty hunting threads are the gold mine! Read them, hunt, read, hunt, it's just like learning anything else. Eventually you get the hang of it and start finding little stores with tons of stock.

^ THIS. Read the dusty threads (active and the archived ones). If you see something interesting, do an internet search. Google "dusty hunting bourbon" and you will find a terrific series of articles on dusty hunting.

we all paid our dues - time, effort and gas. sometimes, risked life and limb (but that's part of the fun).:slappin: once folks know that you have spent the time and aren't in it for the $$$, they are very generous (usually via pm) with their knowledge. fwiw, quite a few areas have been hunted out. there's a thread on that too. good luck but a warning: dusty hunting becomes addictive. meth addicts don't have anything on a true dusty hunting fanatic.

MacinJosh
02-17-2012, 21:14
Having read through this thread for a few days now, I'd like to make a couple of observations and suggestions. I'm not singling anyone out here, so try not to take this personally or get defensive.

I genuinely believe most people come to this forum because they're interested in bourbon and want to read and learn more about this incredible spirit. Those that wish to take advantage of or rip off other enthusiasts, find locations of bottles to buy low and sell high on eBay, or out dusty hunt everyone in their area just to make some money are in the far minority. There are much better get rich quick schemes than bourbon flipping/hunting.

Point being, I think the old timers/veterans on here should relax a little and not be so quick to bite newbie's heads off. They're new. They're not familiar with the 1,353 SB laws and the 675 unwritten ones. It takes time to learn those. Ease up. This is the exact reason newbies are intimidated to post. One accidental slip up or "you gotta be kidding me question" and they're thrown to the wolves. Cut them a little slack. I recall my first post on KC Single Barrel. I don't think some guys even read what I wrote before writing comments like "Gee, all we need is another KC SB post" or "Hey dude, there's a search function for a reason". Well, had those guys actually READ what I wrote, they would have seen I was talking about Booker Noe always being opposed to SB offerings and favoring small batch. And how bizarre that Fred Noe has gone against that. Bottom line, it was very intimidating posting here the first few times. Not exactly a welcoming environment.

This breeds the dreaded "lurkers" as well. Either you want people to join and participate (then stop biting their heads off and be more helpful with constructive guidance instead of snarky jabs) or you don't want new people to join since they'd be "more competition for the good stuff" so close the membership. Or maybe you don't mind them joining but want them to lurk forever and never contribute. How many "long time lurker, first time posting" posts have we seen? You can't have it both ways guys.

I guess it comes down to this question: What is the goal for SB membership? Does this community want to welcome newcomers? If not, then lock down the membership. If so, then we really need to work on our people skills.

I'm not suggesting giving a newbie a magical cheat sheet to every known dusty location on Earth. Or spoon feeding them everything it took you 25 years to learn. I understand wanting to protect your knowledge and time/effort spent. And wanting to feel someone out first just to see if they're in that minority mentioned above. But there are mean and nice ways of going about this. That's all.

Keep in mind this is a VERY niche community. The 21yr old college student who likes to drink Beam and Coke while clubbin' in downtown Chicago to find the next chick to bang isn't going to be stopping by StraightBourbon.com anytime soon. If a newbie breaches a code of conduct, let's politely point them in the right direction and give them constructive guidance. After all, isn't this a forum of gentlemen?

Just my $0.02

Bmac
02-17-2012, 21:28
I have hunted all over Dallas TX and for the most part, there doesn't appear to be any "rare" dusties...but then i have braved the real seedy places.

So far...My dusty rewards have been:
Old Charter 8yr from 1995.
Old Weller Antique from 2008
Old Weller Original 107 from 2008 350ml
Parker's Heritage Collection 1st Edition Cask Strength from 2007

And......a very weird find called Charter Private Reserve.

Maybe one day...when the bourbon fates are kind enough....i'll stumble into some SW juice........until then i can dream...and drool over your finds.

tommyboy38
02-17-2012, 21:54
I just wanted to ask one question...What's a dusty?

bad_scientist
02-17-2012, 21:56
1789b is invite only, so a "solution" to the lurker/membership issue rests there.

keith18
02-17-2012, 22:37
Having read through this thread for a few days now, I'd like to make a couple of observations and suggestions. I'm not singling anyone out here, so try not to take this personally or get defensive.

I genuinely believe most people come to this forum because they're interested in bourbon and want to read and learn more about this incredible spirit. Those that wish to take advantage of or rip off other enthusiasts, find locations of bottles to buy low and sell high on eBay, or out dusty hunt everyone in their area just to make some money are in the far minority. There are much better get rich quick schemes than bourbon flipping/hunting.

Point being, I think the old timers/veterans on here should relax a little and not be so quick to bite newbie's heads off. They're new. They're not familiar with the 1,353 SB laws and the 675 unwritten ones. It takes time to learn those. Ease up. This is the exact reason newbies are intimidated to post. One accidental slip up or "you gotta be kidding me question" and they're thrown to the wolves. Cut them a little slack. I recall my first post on KC Single Barrel. I don't think some guys even read what I wrote before writing comments like "Gee, all we need is another KC SB post" or "Hey dude, there's a search function for a reason". Well, had those guys actually READ what I wrote, they would have seen I was talking about Booker Noe always being opposed to SB offerings and favoring small batch. And how bizarre that Fred Noe has gone against that. Bottom line, it was very intimidating posting here the first few times. Not exactly a welcoming environment.

This breeds the dreaded "lurkers" as well. Either you want people to join and participate (then stop biting their heads off and be more helpful with constructive guidance instead of snarky jabs) or you don't want new people to join since they'd be "more competition for the good stuff" so close the membership. Or maybe you don't mind them joining but want them to lurk forever and never contribute. How many "long time lurker, first time posting" posts have we seen? You can't have it both ways guys.

I guess it comes down to this question: What is the goal for SB membership? Does this community want to welcome newcomers? If not, then lock down the membership. If so, then we really need to work on our people skills.

I'm not suggesting giving a newbie a magical cheat sheet to every known dusty location on Earth. Or spoon feeding them everything it took you 25 years to learn. I understand wanting to protect your knowledge and time/effort spent. And wanting to feel someone out first just to see if they're in that minority mentioned above. But there are mean and nice ways of going about this. That's all.

Keep in mind this is a VERY niche community. The 21yr old college student who likes to drink Beam and Coke while clubbin' in downtown Chicago to find the next chick to bang isn't going to be stopping by StraightBourbon.com anytime soon. If a newbie breaches a code of conduct, let's politely point them in the right direction and give them constructive guidance. After all, isn't this a forum of gentlemen?

Just my $0.02

Everything you just said is why I don't post here regularly.

callmeox
02-18-2012, 06:21
Everything you just said is why I don't post here regularly.

Even the Beam and Coke chick banging part? :cool:

SB isn't the only forum where noobish behavior is taken to task. We are a friendly bunch...what other forum do you know where regulars refer to others by their given name and not their forum handle?

This is like any other real community where members have shared beverages in real time in person. Would you walk up to a group of strangers in public and ask their trade secrets? Why do it here before getting to know us?

callmeox
02-18-2012, 06:54
1789b is invite only, so a "solution" to the lurker/membership issue rests there.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't they get to cut of your hand for mentioning their existence to the unwashed masses? I though that was on page 2 of the bylaws.

Either way, 1789b is a solution in search of a problem.

sailor22
02-18-2012, 07:28
I'm with MacinJosh on this one. Be kind, what can it hurt?
The worst that will happen is the new poster will describe you as being condescending.:rolleyes:

smokinjoe
02-18-2012, 08:00
I'm with MacinJosh on this one. Be kind, what can it hurt?
The worst that will happen is the new poster will describe you as being condescending.:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting someone was rude? I've read the thing 9 times, and I'm at a loss as to where the big deal is.

bonneamie
02-18-2012, 08:02
It is a forum mostly of gentlemen

BradleyC
02-18-2012, 08:17

LOL.....................

bad_scientist
02-18-2012, 08:30
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't they get to cut of your hand for mentioning their existence to the unwashed masses? I though that was on page 2 of the bylaws.

I am not afraid! DC is home to the Church of Scientology, and I live near the national (or international) Masonic headquarters, and they haven't got me yet.

I think it's precious that a bunch of old men want to have a secret club. They're just so cute!

tommyboy38
02-18-2012, 08:40

As I understand it, 1789b is a group of extremely attractive and intelligent individuals who enjoy whiskey.

bad_scientist
02-18-2012, 08:43
Are you suggesting someone was rude? I've read the thing 9 times, and I'm at a loss as to where the big deal is.

Lists...? Pictures...? LMAO.

It must be a Millennial Generation thing....

Threads like these crack me up...seriously...someone really asked for this to happen?

Maybe it is "good-natured" "ball-busting", I don't know.

hectic1
02-18-2012, 09:27
As I understand it, 1789b is a group of extremely attractive and intelligent individuals who enjoy whiskey.
LIAR!!!:smiley_acbt:

sailor22
02-18-2012, 09:33

"If this turns into a Nun's bar I'm outa here."

yountvillewjs
02-18-2012, 09:49
1789B is real. I just looked it up.

T Comp
02-18-2012, 10:08
Hey this is a bourbon drinking forum. At times those congeners can add up and make a man a bit cranky first thing in the morning :grin: .

bad_scientist
02-18-2012, 10:11
LIAR!!!:smiley_acbt:

That's so cute! Does 1789b have emoticons, too?

smokinjoe
02-18-2012, 10:17
Hey this is a bourbon drinking forum. At times those congeners can add up and make a man a bit cranky first thing in the morning :grin: .

After my performance last night, I'm awash with cogeners! :D

tommyboy38
02-18-2012, 10:45
I wonder if someone can put together a dusty list, go hunt them down and then ship them to me?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hectic1
02-18-2012, 11:06
That's so cute! Does 1789b have emoticons, too?
I think it depends on what software they're running...I think Vbulletin offers it in their standard software package.

https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

Yep...I think it's safe to say that have emoticons there. :shocked:

cowdery
02-18-2012, 14:00
Jostling is normal here. I'm not complaining.

But I'm glad Aaron finally said, "sorry, there is no such list." Maybe that's why some people are so cranky. It would be nice if they were.

Lots of things about this hobby work against shortcuts. A 'what-to-collect' list is not a bad idea, and the Collectibles thread is where you will find a lot of ideas. See what people are finding. See what people are excited about finding.

The thing about photographs and labels is, most of the labels you should be looking for look exactly like the labels that aren't particularly worthy, and the only difference is those little numbers. Trust me on this, just remember DSP-KY-16 and buy anything with that on it.

I've started a thread a couple of times called "What you should be collecting now," or something like that. I can't find it just now. The idea is to identify things that are still well represented in the marketplace but that will only become more scarce. An easy example is Evan Williams Single Barrel, any vintage except the current one (2002), though some are more prized than others. I think it's cool to have The Wilderness Years on hand, including the first few years of Bernheim, which is where the line is now.

Newbie dusty hunting mistake? Buying everything that you've never heard of. 9.9 times out of 10 it will be some nothing private label that's crap.

Not sure what I'm talking about? Like I said, it's not that we're being stingy about giving up the shortcuts, there just aren't any.

wripvanwrinkle
02-18-2012, 15:46
I have a 2 word simple answer for the OP. "Sunny Brook". Most of the dusty threads are filled with wrong leads and misinformation designed to throw you off the real track. I'm sick and tired of being a part of the machine that hides this knowledge.

Trust me. Let the Guardian of Quality be your guide.

hectic1
02-18-2012, 18:18
I have a 2 word simple answer for the OP. "Sunny Brook". Most of the dusty threads are filled with wrong leads and misinformation designed to throw you off the real track. I'm sick and tired of being a part of the machine that hides this knowledge.

Seriously Eric???

I highly doubt that anyone posts bogus information just to throw people off the real track. I've never hidden any knowledge on what bourbons I hunt or what I leave behind because I don’t like them. I certainly haven't told people to buy anything that I haven't or wouldn't buy if I saw it. I'm not going to share with people exactly where I find stuff as I've been burned many times in the past buy the hundreds of lurkers on this site...if someone wants it, go look for it! I'm not looking to spoon feed someone where to go for hard to find bottles.

Show me a thread where someone has given misinformation designed to throw someone off the real track...that statement is borderline ridiculous...well actually it probably is. :skep:

yountvillewjs
02-18-2012, 18:33
3 months into membership on this board, I've learned more about bourbon in my time here than I have in all my life before joining. Fortunately I've drank thoughtfully for awhile, so I came in having a pretty good idea of what I liked and have used this place as a vehicle to find more things I might like. I know I don't much care for Beam products, so dusty or not, I'm unlikely to buy it. I like wheaters and love ryes -- through this board I've found & tried a bunch of things I never looked for nor thought to try before.

Fortunately, mistakes can often become cocktails and lessons learned. I think there are gentlemen and true enthiusiasts all over this place and I am thankful to have found it.

Bmac
02-18-2012, 18:37
My 3 years of sniffing around the net has led me to one truth behind what "dusties" to look for:

1 Anything and everything that was made by Stitzel Weller.
2. Product from almost any discontinued label (not 100% accurate on that)
3 Product from the late 70's early.80's when bourbon wasnt as popular the age of the whiskey was many times older than was stated.

that's my two cents on it. It gets more detailed and confusing the more you get into it.
:shocked:

wripvanwrinkle
02-18-2012, 19:09
Seriously Eric???

I highly doubt that anyone posts bogus information just to throw people off the real track. I've never hidden any knowledge on what bourbons I hunt or what I leave behind because I donít like them. I certainly haven't told people to buy anything that I haven't or wouldn't buy if I saw it. I'm not going to share with people exactly where I find stuff as I've been burned many times in the past buy the hundreds of lurkers on this site...if someone wants it, go look for it! I'm not looking to spoon feed someone where to go for hard to find bottles.

Show me a thread where someone has given misinformation designed to throw someone off the real track...that statement is borderline ridiculous...well actually it probably is. :skep:

Well, the post above yours is an example.

hectic1
02-18-2012, 19:15
Well, the post above yours is an example.
Where do you see posting of bogus information to mislead someone to throw them off the track?

wripvanwrinkle
02-18-2012, 19:19
Where do you see posting of bogus information to mislead someone to throw them off the track?

Rain Man tried to make a joke. :grin:

But seriously, the answer is Sunny Brook.

cowdery
02-18-2012, 20:35
I don't think anyone here is deliberately posting bogus information to throw people off.

But there are some people here who are genuinely very stupid.

sob0728
02-18-2012, 20:41
I don't think anyone here is deliberately posting bogus information to throw people off.

I don't know if I should laugh or be offended. I guess that means I should probably be offended, "because if you can't spot the sucker at the table...."

smokinjoe
02-18-2012, 20:51
I'm no doctor, but I would say Chuck's wrist is perfectly healed! :D

Duck!!!!

Josh
02-18-2012, 21:05
Oh, how I've missed threads like this.

PaulO
02-19-2012, 09:05
I was thinking another thing to consider; there is a lot of great whiskey being released at this time, and there are plenty of full rickhouses south of the Ohio. :grin: Probably my easiest advice to someone wanting to drink better bourbons is; look for labels that are 86+ proof, and have an age statement.

bonneamie
02-19-2012, 14:53
Oh, how I've missed threads like this.

Indeed, very entertaining!!

Neat
02-19-2012, 17:08

:slappin: - now that is FUNNY.

Neat
02-19-2012, 17:09
Rain Man tried to make a joke. :grin:

But seriously, the answer is Sunny Brook.

i got your joke eric. and yeah, dusty sunny brook is a good deal.

tommyboy38
02-19-2012, 20:59

You should definitely look for Beam 8 Star dusties.

cowdery
02-19-2012, 21:13
You should definitely look for Beam 8 Star dusties.

I think your purpose is mockery more than disinformation.

tommyboy38
02-23-2012, 20:30
Chuck, you're damn right!

jcg9779
02-24-2012, 12:58
Seriously Eric???

I highly doubt that anyone posts bogus information just to throw people off the real track. I've never hidden any knowledge on what bourbons I hunt or what I leave behind because I don’t like them. I certainly haven't told people to buy anything that I haven't or wouldn't buy if I saw it. I'm not going to share with people exactly where I find stuff as I've been burned many times in the past buy the hundreds of lurkers on this site...if someone wants it, go look for it! I'm not looking to spoon feed someone where to go for hard to find bottles.

Look at any of smokinjoe's posts. His "desert island bourbon" is Bourbon Supreme, but you won't see him admitting it! He'll talk about enjoying things like Pappy, Stagg, Weller, etc....talk about misinformation!

He doesn't want people out looking for his good stuff!

smokinjoe
02-24-2012, 13:22
Look at any of smokinjoe's posts. His "desert island bourbon" is Bourbon Supreme, but you won't see him admitting it! He'll talk about enjoying things like Pappy, Stagg, Weller, etc....talk about misinformation!

He doesn't want people out looking for his good stuff!

Dangit, Jack! Do you know how dangerous this is to me, that Bob has this information?!?!? He'll have 7 guys yankin' BS off the shelves in 19 states before midnight!! My only recourse will be E-Bay, now....I'm dooooomed!!!! :D

WsmataU
02-25-2012, 08:48
Wait, when did we ban sarcasm?:rolleyes:
Since I'm a relative Newby I'll offer the same advice that I've offered in other threads. Buy new products and hunt "dusties" when you can. You most likely won't find stores that hold dusty inventory on the internet, but you can find some deals on real quality products (BTAC, PHC, etc) that eventually will become bourbon lore. After doing this for a few years, you can build up quite a bunker. Otherwise, you'll have to spend a fortune.
I guess I'm saying, take it where you can get it. Enjoy the hunt, but don't expect the locals to point out their best fishing hole.:slappin:

cowdery
02-25-2012, 16:38
Wait, when did we ban sarcasm?:rolleyes:
Since I'm a relative Newby I'll offer the same advice that I've offered in other threads. Buy new products and hunt "dusties" when you can. You most likely won't find stores that hold dusty inventory on the internet, but you can find some deals on real quality products (BTAC, PHC, etc) that eventually will become bourbon lore. After doing this for a few years, you can build up quite a bunker. Otherwise, you'll have to spend a fortune.
I guess I'm saying, take it where you can get it. Enjoy the hunt, but don't expect the locals to point out their best fishing hole.:slappin:

Good advice. Dusty hunting is a lifestyle. For one thing, you have to go into stores where you might not normally shop. There are no good dusties in the big party stores, they're in the small, old, neighborhood places. You go in, you look, you consider, you haggle. You walk out empty-handed more often than not.

It's a sickness, really.

As for fishing holes, they don't get re-stocked, so once they've been discovered, if they're not picked clean immediately, it doesn't take long. A true dusty hunter can't bear knowing that sweet dusties are just sitting there and somebody else might get them.

Enoch
02-26-2012, 07:47
Good advice. Dusty hunting is a lifestyle. For one thing, you have to go into stores where you might not normally shop. There are no good dusties in the big party stores, they're in the small, old, neighborhood places. You go in, you look, you consider, you haggle. You walk out empty-handed more often than not.

It's a sickness, really.

As for fishing holes, they don't get re-stocked, so once they've been discovered, if they're not picked clean immediately, it doesn't take long. A true dusty hunter can't bear knowing that sweet dusties are just sitting there and somebody else might get them.

Exactly, I discovered a place loaded with dusties about a year ago. I had planned on just buying what I needed at the moment and go back as I needed something. But then I couldn't sleep at night worrying that someone else might discover it and clean it out, so I went back and bought about 300 bottles (to my wife's displeasure). There is still some stuff left and I worry about that also, so I keep going back. It sounds greedy but then there have been many stores that I have visited and was told about someone who bought thousands of dollars worth earlier.

Special Reserve
02-26-2012, 08:08
300 bottles at one time? Damn. I've bought up to 18 at one time and thought that was a lot. WOW!

Restaurant man
02-26-2012, 08:12
My wife loves me but if I drop 10 grand at the liquor store in one sitting, I'd be moving in with one of you fine folks:grin:

Enoch
02-26-2012, 08:48
300 bottles at one time? Damn. I've bought up to 18 at one time and thought that was a lot. WOW!

My wife loves me but if I drop 10 grand at the liquor store in one sitting, I'd be moving in with one of you fine folks:grin:

Actually it was closer to 3 grand. Some of the stuff still had the price stickers that were put on the bottles when they originally came into the store ($10 liters). I got panicked after receiving numerous PMs about how I had given out too much info and it wouldn't be long before someone found it and that they were probably already looking. I kept thinking that I would be sick if I went back and the store had been cleaned out. I convinced my wife that a $10 liter of ND OGD and a mighty fine drink and would eventually be consumed and much better than anything I could get today for $10, so it was a good investment. She finally agreed (I already had bought the stuff but she didn't know it) and gave me a closet to store it in. I had to throw in a new sewing machine for her quilting....

Restaurant man
02-26-2012, 09:03
Very nice! Love the shoe holder with party supplies. Way to use your noodle

Ejmharris
02-26-2012, 10:29
300 Dusties for a sewing machine = one hell of trade. I want you negotiating my next car purchase. Must be some kind if Jedi mind trick. <wave of hand> "this is a great deal. Have a new sewing machine. Pour me a drink please!".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ejmharris
02-26-2012, 10:30
Actually it was closer to 3 grand. Some of the stuff still had the price stickers that were put on the bottles when they originally came into the store ($10 liters). I got panicked after receiving numerous PMs about how I had given out too much info and it wouldn't be long before someone found it and that they were probably already looking. I kept thinking that I would be sick if I went back and the store had been cleaned out. I convinced my wife that a $10 liter of ND OGD and a mighty fine drink and would eventually be consumed and much better than anything I could get today for $10, so it was a good investment. She finally agreed (I already had bought the stuff but she didn't know it) and gave me a closet to store it in. I had to throw in a new sewing machine for her quilting....

And to answer the very first post kn this thread, here is the list. Just look at the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enoch
02-28-2012, 15:20
Very nice! Love the shoe holder with party supplies. Way to use your noodle

I saw it on one of my wife's Home/Garden shows and now we have them on every door in the house.

BroInBourbonMD
02-29-2012, 20:44
Exactly, I discovered a place loaded with dusties about a year ago. I had planned on just buying what I needed at the moment and go back as I needed something. But then I couldn't sleep at night worrying that someone else might discover it and clean it out, so I went back and bought about 300 bottles (to my wife's displeasure). There is still some stuff left and I worry about that also, so I keep going back. It sounds greedy but then there have been many stores that I have visited and was told about someone who bought thousands of dollars worth earlier.

I know what you mean. I am feeling sick right now thinking about what I passed up at a small liquor store I just happened to stop in during a business trip. It makes me sick to think of how naive I was just 6 short months ago and what I left on the shelf. :banghead: Now I am trying every angle to arrange another trip to that area just to get back to that store. I will probably be even more sick when I do get back and they are cleaned out. Also, makes me wonder about what I am missing now and how much more I will know in 6 more months :crazy:

Hershmeister
03-03-2012, 18:21

Love the red solo cups!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68