PDA

View Full Version : Hello from SW Pennsylvania

Shawn79
02-16-2012, 20:05
Hello everyone,

A few years ago my brother told me about a place you could sign up and get cool free stuff sent to you, it was called being a Maker's Mark "Ambassador". At that time, I wouldnt have known Bourbon from any other spirit, but the things they sent out were cool and useful.

This continued until this past Christmas when I received my Marks Mark bottle sweater:lol:

I told myself something that funny had to have a bottle to wear it. Off i went to the wine and spirits and bought a bottle of Makers Mark.

After Christmas I decided to see what this bourbon stuff was all about. I cracked open the Makers Mark and took a sip out of my newly aquired Glencairn Glasses.

I was HOOKED!!!

Since then I have tried to digest all the bourbon info I could get. My bourbon budget is kinda lacking so new bottles are few and far between.

On my next trip to the liquor store I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace which to my taste is way better than Makers(i know they are two different styles of bourbon).
My next bottle was Eagle Rare 10YO. I wasnt thinking when I bought this as I hear the mashbill is the same as Buffalo Trace. Its good but I prefer my Buffalo!

I am always looking for recommendations on how to spend my bourbon money wisely.

Ive been bitten by the Bourbon Bug and it feels good. I look forward to hanging out here and maybe be able to make a worthy contribution.

I'll quit rambling now:lol:

Thanks,
Shawn79

BrianBradford
02-17-2012, 09:49
Welcome welcome from a fellow Western PAer.

soad
02-17-2012, 13:16
Welcome! West PA is getting a lot of members recently.

BourbonJoe
02-20-2012, 03:54
Welcome from SE PA.
Joe

ThomasH
02-20-2012, 08:49
Welcome from NE Ohio. Sometimes I order bottles from the PLCB website and pick them up in western Pa. Usually I go to stores in SHaron and Hermitage!

Thomas

Shawn79
02-22-2012, 20:29
thanks for the welcome everyone! I look forward to hanging out here occasionally.

soad
02-24-2012, 13:10
Welcome from NE Ohio. Sometimes I order bottles from the PLCB website and pick them up in western Pa. Usually I go to stores in SHaron and Hermitage!

Thomas

I've been through that area a couple times. The store in Sharon is full of drunk guys in their 70's buying rot gut Vodka. The store in Hermitage is much nicer.

Both are readily accessible from I-80.

JayMonster
02-26-2012, 05:46
Welcome aboard! Use the search function for things link "value pour" and you will find lots of information on great pours that will help you get the best bang for your bourbon buck.

Like you, I have trend more towards wheaters (Maker's Mark) or low rye (Buffalo Trace), and thus far, personally have found that nothing that gives you more bang for your Bourbon buck as Old Weller Antique, and since it is a great wheater at an affordable price, it may be right in your wheelhouse of bourbons as well.

soad
02-26-2012, 07:44
personally have found that nothing that gives you more bang for your Bourbon buck as Old Weller Antique, and since it is a great wheater at an affordable price, it may be right in your wheelhouse of bourbons as well.

You can order Old Weller online in PA and have it delivered to your local store or home.
http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SpiritsProductDisplayView?level0=null&level1=S_Bourbon&level2=&level3=&level4=&catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=null&productId=1451094&langId=-1&prodlistCatId=Spirits&parent_category_rn=Spirits

If you like Makers you should really try the Weller line.

Bourbon Boiler
02-26-2012, 10:17
Welcome. Your adventure to bourbon isn't all that unusual for folks around here. Many started with Makers, although trying to find a bottle to fit a sweater might be a new one.

Jaysus
02-28-2012, 08:37
I can't buy my favorite bourbon in Pennsylvania anymore :( (But I am going to Maryland soon, so I will stock up!)

As for spending your bourbon money wisely, your best bet may be to see if they have one of those "Super" state stores somewhere in your area and plan a trip there. If you are lucky they may have a bigger bourbon selection then your local state store.

There are two of those Super state stores in my area one had a decent bourbon selection, and one does not. Unfortunately the one that does, is not really all that close.

Also the state runs monthly sales and usually posts the next month's sale items online so you can search for them, and plan ahead if something you like will be on sale next month.

dmarkle
02-28-2012, 18:35
I know I frequent this site too much when I read your subject line as, "Hello from Stitzel-Weller Pennsylvania"

TheDude
02-28-2012, 19:35
Welcome! It's nice to have another BT fan on the forum. I'm a big fan of their product line. "Regular old Buffalo Trace" is a great bourbon at a great price!

If you haven't already, make it a point to tour the distillery in Frankfort, KY if you are ever down this way. It is a great experience.

Shawn

JayMonster
02-28-2012, 20:21
I know I frequent this site too much when I read your subject line as, "Hello from Stitzel-Weller Pennsylvania"

I must admit (hanging head in shame), that while I wasn't initially ready to admit it... I did the same thing at first glance. :blush:

smokinjoe
02-29-2012, 06:13

Ah, ve haf not yet seen zees symptom, but I sink dis is most definitely a sure sign of zee final stages of Acute Whiskirexia Nervosa...I vill consult vees our distinguished colleague who discovered zees affliction, Herr Cowdery, but I am sure zere ees no cure...

ethangsmith
02-29-2012, 17:23
I can't buy my favorite bourbon in Pennsylvania anymore :( (But I am going to Maryland soon, so I will stock up!)

As for spending your bourbon money wisely, your best bet may be to see if they have one of those "Super" state stores somewhere in your area and plan a trip there. If you are lucky they may have a bigger bourbon selection then your local state store.

There are two of those Super state stores in my area one had a decent bourbon selection, and one does not. Unfortunately the one that does, is not really all that close.

Also the state runs monthly sales and usually posts the next month's sale items online so you can search for them, and plan ahead if something you like will be on sale next month.

Which bourbon are you looking for? I frequent Maryland on the weekends for a change of scenery and I've been known to be seen in several different liquor vending establishments. I may know where you can track down a bottle of what you're looking for. Furthermore, if you're looking for good whiskey selection in the state, check out the Eastern Blvd. store in York. They usually have good stuff. So does the Hummelstown/Hershey store next to KMart.

Also, a warm whiskey welcome to the original poster from a SE PA guy!