PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Carolina

Steve99
02-20-2012, 07:51
I've been reading the forum here for awhile, and appreciate all the advice and insights I've gained. Seems like a very friendly bunch, so I decided it was time to come out of hiding.

I've been enjoying whiskey for a long time. Started with Crown Royal long ago, and slowly moved to Knob Creek and Booker's. Tried some Scotch when I got the book 101 Whiskies to Try Before Your Die, but found that it was bourbon that I really loved.

Over the past couple years I've really expanded my tasting, trying almost anything I can lay my hands on. For better or worse, I've found very few that I don't like. . . (Old Ezra, Old Grand Dad are the only ones that are springing to mind). I love finding a reasonably priced bourbon that really packs in the flavors -- Old Forester Signature is my current favorite in this category, although Elijah Craig 12, VOB BIB are right there as well. But I was also lucky enough to lay my hands on a bottle of George T. Stagg and 15yo Pappy Van Winkle this year which I am enjoying immensely as well.

My wife and I did the Bourbon Trail last summer while the kids were at camp, and tacked on Barton, Buffalo Trace, Jack Daniels, George Dickel and Prichard's. She's not much of a bourbon drinker (prefers Jack and Coke) but she very much enjoyed the distillery tours.

My biggest struggle at the moment is to be able to describe what the flavor is that I'm enjoying in each bourbon. I can tell differences between them and what I like and don't like, but being able to pick out caramel, vanilla, maple syrup, toffee, etc. just seems beyond my grasp at the moment, but I love reading other's reviews that are able to discern these! I did appreciate seeing Chuck's post regarding picking between 4 broader categories (Candy, Spices, Wood and Fruit). I'm trying to just start with that for now.

Thanks again for all I've already learned here, and hope to be posting more myself!

Steve

gburger
02-20-2012, 15:42
Welcome to the group.

JayMonster
02-26-2012, 04:51
Welcome aboard. Knowing what you like and don't is far more important that trying to "detect" flavors by name. But honestly, if you don't try so hard, it will probably come along at some point anyway. But whether it does or doesn't won't mean anywhere near as much as just enjoying. Look forward to what you add to the discussion whether it is distinct flavors, or what is "just plain good"

Bourbon Boiler
02-26-2012, 06:11
Welcome. In all honesty, when we call out "vanilla", "cinnamon", "butterscotch", etc., it's not an exact replica of those flavors. It's something similar enough that repeats in various whiskeys that we need to name. I agree with the comments above. Look for patterns in what you like (mashbill, distillery, proof, age, etc.) and expand from there. Naming flavors is step 65. Enjoying the bourbon is step one.

Steve99
02-28-2012, 08:33
Thanks for the advice on recognizing flavors -- makes me feel better!

I definitely am developing some likes and dislikes, but I also find they sometimes change over time. Knob Creek was my #1, but has since faded down even though I still like it.

Steve

jcg9779
02-28-2012, 08:48
Welcome, Steve! What part of North Carolina are you from?

Steve99
03-04-2012, 19:39
Welcome, Steve! What part of North Carolina are you from?

Now just south of Charlotte. Originally from Indiana.

jcg9779
03-04-2012, 19:42
Now just south of Charlotte. Originally from Indiana.

Very cool. I spend a lot of time over near Wilmington, NC during the summer.

fishnbowljoe
03-04-2012, 22:12
Welcome to SB Steve. Nice introduction. It may take a while, but eventually it will get easier to pick out flavors in the bourbons you taste. Just don't rush it, or try too hard. It will come to you with a little time.

Where in Indiana are you from? I'm from Indianapolis (Beech Grove ) originally.

Welcome, and I hope you have fun and enjoy the site. Cheers! Joe

Steve99
03-05-2012, 05:46
Where in Indiana are you from? I'm from Indianapolis (Beech Grove ) originally.

Fort Wayne. Indy is a great city.

My wife is from Henryville IN. Amazingly her family that is still there has made it through with very limited damage. It's wild watching on TV, I've been all those places. The bus isn't crashed into a house like they keep saying, it's actually a restaurant. I've filled up at that Shell every Christmas season when we had back to Indiana. Will be different this year.

Steve

jtexaslonestar
03-08-2012, 16:00
Long overdue but welcome to SB!

Halifax
03-17-2012, 12:42
Somehow I missed this post. Welcome aboard! A few of us here, and some other friends get together at my house here in Raleigh for tastings fairly often. You're more than welcome to joins us. Good luck... There are some good stores just across the border from you.

Steve99
03-17-2012, 15:05
Somehow I missed this post. Welcome aboard! A few of us here, and some other friends get together at my house here in Raleigh for tastings fairly often. You're more than welcome to joins us. Good luck... There are some good stores just across the border from you.

Thanks for the note! I don't get to Raleigh too often (mostly for kid's track meets or school events) but I will try and remember to give you a heads up. I don't have any local tasting friends and am sure it would be fun to do a tasting in a group.

Yes -- I have to hit the South Carolina stores a lot. Although my best source for the BTAC was a NC ABC store - believe it or not. I asked them before they had any and they looked at me like I was from Mars. Then I walk in there one day and they have 4 of everything but the Handy (which they never had any of for some reason). I also found some 2000 EWSB in an NC ABC (with the packaged cigar and flask combo).

Again, thanks for the note -- hopefully the stars will align and I can meet up with you and your friends sometime.

Steve