PDA

View Full Version : Attn Twin Cities Folks: New Bourbon Bar!

mrviognier
02-24-2012, 08:26
I have been working with the owners & staff of a new restaurant that's soon to open in Minneapolis. It's called The Butcher and the Boar (http://www.butcherandtheboar.com), and the main focus behind the bar will be - you guessed it - Bourbon and Rye Whiskies!

They plan to open their doors on March 7th, and the initial program will roll out with 60 offerings...with more to follow. 1oz & 2oz pours, themed flights and special bottlings. The 'mind behind' the beverage program is Jerald Hansen, a fixture in the food & beverage scene here for decades.

This should be a great place to get SBers together!

ncmussell
02-24-2012, 10:30
Really looking forward to this opening. Should have some great food as well!

BFerguson
02-24-2012, 15:30
Hmmm..... sounds like a nice place to have a MN gathering soon!

I'm certainly interested in seeing what he has.

B

mrviognier
02-24-2012, 15:54
To start out with it'll be a number of the usual suspects, but includes some E.H. Taylors (first two offerings), PVWs, Antique Collections, etc. He's working on single barrel selections from BT, HH, Beam, etc., too.

I suspect that if the response is strong, he'll continue to add older/esoteric offerings. One things for sure...he'll have the largest selection of any establishment in MN.

Well, besides my home bar. :slappin:

sob0728
02-24-2012, 19:52
Exciting stuff. I'm 100% in for a TC get together.

luther.r
02-24-2012, 20:29
Dag, I'm going to be in town about 3 days too early.

Restaurant man
02-25-2012, 09:18
To start out with it'll be a number of the usual suspects, but includes some E.H. Taylors (first two offerings), PVWs, Antique Collections, etc. He's working on single barrel selections from BT, HH, Beam, etc., too.

I suspect that if the response is strong, he'll continue to add older/esoteric offerings. One things for sure...he'll have the largest selection of any establishment in MN.

Well, besides my home bar. :slappin:

I love this place! They should have named it heaven. Where PVW, Antique collection, EH taylor are "the usual suspects" :grin:

Max Power
04-11-2012, 12:43
I just checked out the menu of this place. It looks like a good time.

http://butcherandtheboar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DrinksWebsite.pdf

Trey Manthey
04-11-2012, 12:54
Is it just me or does it seem like all the trendy cocktail/whiskey/microbrew/gastronomy bars have names that are in this format?

"The XXX and the YYY"

Not complaining about their existence, but I'm starting to wonder if there is a conspiracy. Maybe the Van Winkles are involved...

sob0728
04-11-2012, 13:29
Is it just me or does it seem like all the trendy cocktail/whiskey/microbrew/gastronomy bars have names that are in this format?

"The XXX and the YYY"

Not complaining about their existence, but I'm starting to wonder if there is a conspiracy. Maybe the Van Winkles are involved...

And how come all the Rush-themed strip clubs in Canada are named "The XXX and the YYZ"?

mrviognier
04-12-2012, 05:49

"The XXX and the YYY"

Interesting observation.

Took my family to Butcher & the Boar a few Sundays ago. My oldest son, Jack (12yr) asked where we were going to eat. When I told him the name, he smiled and said, "I'm betting that story doesn't end too well for the boar, huh?"

:grin:

BFerguson
04-12-2012, 14:34
Interesting observation.

Took my family to Butcher & the Boar a few Sundays ago. My oldest son, Jack (12yr) asked where we were going to eat. When I told him the name, he smiled and said, "I'm betting that story doesn't end too well for the boar, huh?"

:grin:

How was the food?

B

CADMixes
04-12-2012, 19:25
Props to these guys for organizing their bourbon list by distillery, even if there are some slight missteps.

BrewerMatty
04-16-2012, 13:55
Another place bourbon drinkers should go is Haute Dish (http://haute-dish.com/). They have a great bourbon list at reasonable prices, and MOST IMPORTANTLY they do NOT measure the drink by the ounce. The Pappy 23 I had there last week for 25$ was easily 2.5 ounces if not more.

BFerguson
04-16-2012, 15:31
Another place bourbon drinkers should go is Haute Dish (http://haute-dish.com/). They have a great bourbon list at reasonable prices, and MOST IMPORTANTLY they do NOT measure the drink by the ounce. The Pappy 23 I had there last week for 25$ was easily 2.5 ounces if not more.

Killer price, but it seems like they are pricing it too low. :bigeyes:

Look good through.

B

mrviognier
04-18-2012, 14:38
How was the food?

Food was good. I especially liked the side dishes...but, then again, I am a sucker for grits and greens.

Another place bourbon drinkers should go is Haute Dish (http://haute-dish.com/).

Haute Dish is a great place...and they love their Bourbon, too.

Max Power
04-18-2012, 22:22
I've got to check out both of those places. Which should I do first?

mrviognier
04-19-2012, 04:27
It really depends on your mood. Both offer very accommodating bars as well as typical restaurant seating. If you're in the mood for a bustling atmosphere with a lot of energy, I'd say head to B&TB. If you'd like something a bit more sedate, head to H-D.

Both have really good food, and both have enough Bourbons to keep you busy. B&TB has a few more than H-D does.