PDA

View Full Version : Top Shelf Chick

smgrey24
03-01-2012, 15:48
As a woman, I recognize that taste is subjective. However, it has been my experience that price can be indicative of quality. While I am all for a bargain, my appetite more than not craves the higher priced bourbons. Was wondering if there were others out there whose taste buds are awakened by a sip or two of George T. Stagg, Pappy, Parkers, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden? If so, I would love to hear your top shelf favorites / suggestions / reviews. Am sharing pics of some of my collection ... as you can see, I would rather be broke than thirsty.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-02-20182541.jpghttp://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-02-20182014.jpg

callmeox
03-01-2012, 15:51
Stagg and BH in the same sentence about top shelfers?

I wish I could eat popcorn...this thread has fantastic potential.

Welcome to SB, BTW.

Jonny.Applebury
03-01-2012, 16:01
...Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden?...

Welcome! Glad to see someone of the fairer sex join. The quoted bit does make me laugh a bit. :lol: I can enjoy those Beam products at times. I can enjoy Stagg, Van Winkle, and Parker's all of the time!

smgrey24
03-01-2012, 16:59

To me, BH is a top shelfer ... that is in comparison to a few others I have had the pleasure (NOT!) of tasting. Pictures speak a thousand words ... :lol:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/Moose859/cock/CIMG9395.jpg

Phil T
03-01-2012, 17:01

I wish I could eat popcorn...this thread has fantastic potential.

Welcome to SB, BTW.

Ox, can't eat popcorn? Bummer, its delicious! Open a bag of peanut M&M's, just as delicious, but in a totally different way..:lol: ..don't forget the bourbon !!

smokinjoe
03-01-2012, 17:08
It's really too bad that you so cavalierly dismiss anything that's not "top shelf" (i.e. "simply expensive"). You're missing many very good bourbons, including Fighting Cock.

Bourbon Boiler
03-01-2012, 17:17
Pappy is Pappy, you won't find many here that will complain about the product. PH is a good one as well, and I love the Blanton's that you show in picutre. WT Kentucky Spirit is around the same price point, and although the older releases are better, I like the newer as well. Even though I don't think they qualify as top shelf, I find the Beam Small Batch collection to be very under-appreciated as a group, probably because it comes from Beam. I'll take the Small Batch over Stagg, particularly at a third of the price.

Josh
03-01-2012, 18:11
It's really too bad that you so cavalierly dismiss anything that's not "top shelf" (i.e. "simply expensive"). You're missing many very good bourbons, including Fighting Cock.

I really want to make a terrible joke here, but I don't want Joe to end up apologizing to the rest of the Georgia Bourbon Society for inviting me.

The reigning Bourbonian of the Year luv2hunt describes herself as a bourbon snob and claims to only drink the best of the best all the time, so you're in good company SM.

While you're hanging out on the top shelf, add some Four Roses limited editions to your rotation. You won't regret it!

smgrey24
03-01-2012, 18:12

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have tried many inexpensive types of bourbon. Unfortunately, my taste buds find that most fall flat in the character department or end up with such a kick that I’m afraid I’ll need dentures if I finish the bottle. While price seems to be a pleasure indicator for me, Willett Pot Still – along with Beam small batch – sits proudly on my top shelf. I pair 1792 right alongside my beloved Woodford. As you can see from my earlier post, I prefer my Fighting Cock in a vase rather than a glass. :slappin:
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-02-20182516.jpg

MarkEdwards
03-01-2012, 18:26
While price seems to be a pleasure indicator for me, Willett Pot Still – along with Beam small batch – sits proudly on my top shelf.

I tend to keep a spare bottle of the Willet pot still around. I refer to it as the "I dream of Jeannie" bottle.

Rughi
03-01-2012, 18:48
I tend to keep a spare bottle of the Willet pot still around. I refer to it as the "I dream of Jeannie" bottle.

Raymond Loewy did a series (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46362&postcount=4) of Old Forester bottles in an "I dream of Jeannie" vein you might like.

StraightBoston
03-01-2012, 19:57
And of course, the original I Dream Of Jeannie bottle was a Jim Beam decanter...

BFerguson
03-02-2012, 04:15
To me, BH is a top shelfer ... that is in comparison to a few others I have had the pleasure (NOT!) of tasting. Pictures speak a thousand words ... :lol:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/Moose859/cock/CIMG9395.jpg

Hey! The chicken isn't that bad. Was one of my college favorites back not so long ago. Its good for what it is.

Plus, the bottle art is just nice to look at. Kind of like the old WT label compared to the new one. The new bird just isn't the same.

And of course, welcome to the board.

B

Kyjd75
03-02-2012, 05:15
Pappy is Pappy, you won't find many here that will complain about the product. PH is a good one as well, and I love the Blanton's that you show in picutre. WT Kentucky Spirit is around the same price point, and although the older releases are better, I like the newer as well. Even though I don't think they qualify as top shelf, I find the Beam Small Batch collection to be very under-appreciated as a group, probably because it comes from Beam. I'll take the Small Batch over Stagg, particularly at a third of the price.

Agreed. Although a relative newcomer to appreciating bourbon, I have made the most of the past 2 years trying to learn. Although I have tried virtually all of the "high end" bourbons, and have PVW and ORVW in quantity at my home, as well as RHF, Blantons, EWSB, etc., I happen to like the Beam small batch series very much. Knob Creek and Bakers are two of my favorites. Bookers is also a favorite, but it tends to knock me on my rear a little too much at times.

There is a lot of prejudice against Beam on these boards, but I don't see why. Most of their products are top notch and compete very well against other brands (at least it seems that way to me).

Bmac
03-02-2012, 06:19
I have learned many lessons about assuming a whiskey or liquor is goingnto be awesome based soley on price. I have a 90 dollar Rum that is 30 years old that pales in comparison to a 30 dollar 23 year Rum.

With bourbon there similar issues. Rebel Reserve is an agressively priced bourbon that isnt worth anywhere near it's price point. Then there is Charbay with it's 399 dollar bourbon that tastes like dirt and grass, like anscotch that had gone wrong. It's value is based soley on the fact that there are only 400 or so bottlesin existence.

With that said...i do love me some George T Stagg and have been searching hi and low for a bottle of that PHC wheated mashbill. I want to see how it stacks up with William Larue Weller!

Ah man...allthis typing has made me thirsty......:drinking:

birdman1099
03-02-2012, 06:32
let me tell you about a rule I live by...

"Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)..."

To me, price is a "fair" benchmark to use in determining the quality of Bourbon...

Hershmeister
03-02-2012, 09:35
If you like BH you should try EH Taylor tornado

Bmac
03-02-2012, 09:59
let me tell you about a rule I live by...

"Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)..."

To me, price is a "fair" benchmark to use in determining the quality of Bourbon...
I like that. It's simple and too the point!:bowdown:

cowdery
03-02-2012, 12:04
I've always gotten satisfaction from finding values. Some people get satisfaction by paying top dollar. That's good for the economy, so no complaints. Though it might be more interesting if your faves had something in common other than their high price.

And the thing is, more expensive whiskey isn't necessarily better whiskey, it's just more expensive.

Jono
03-02-2012, 12:24
You have a very nice collection, the only one that disappoints me is BH but then I have not tried it recently so it may deserve another open bottle pour to see how it has changed since the last time. A spirits snob is one who insists that price, brand, type etc. "always" equals quality, whereas the truth is that price "can" indicate exclusivity, rarity or branding, but not always quality and lower price does not always equate to poor quality. Of course, price is as subjective as taste. Anyway, drink what you enjoy!

Bmac
03-02-2012, 13:14
My take on it is this:

I want the best quality and I weigh my desire against my wallet to see who wins ;)

So far, desire is winning by a long shot.

SMOWK
03-02-2012, 14:10
Whether picked off the shelf or off the street, bottom shelf chicks are much cheaper.

Neat
03-02-2012, 15:39
this op is high maintenance BUT she loves bourbon. someone has a keeper! :bowdown: try weller 12 yo - you may like it more than some of the bottles on your list and it's easy on the wallet.

i would recommend dusty hunting but since you are a lady, i would highly discourage it.

the gentleman inside me is making me refrain from making any comments about the FC.:slappin:

ILLfarmboy
03-02-2012, 15:46
Not a fan of Woodford Reserve nor Fighting Cock. But I'd choose FC over Woodford even if WR was the same price as FC.

I've noticed Woodford Reserve has a lot of cashet among nebies and posers alike. This dosn't mean someone can't truly enjoy it without being either one, but every time I see a relative newbie sing its praises, my first thought is, well this person should be cut some slack they're new to the world of bourbon.

But equating price with quality/taste as if the two are mutually exclusive makes the person suspect, in my eyes.

Sorry, but I have this terrible habit of speaking my mind.

Neat
03-02-2012, 16:24
I've noticed Woodford Reserve has a lot of cashet among nebies and posers alike. This dosn't mean someone can't truly enjoy it without being either one, but every time I see a relative newbie sing its praises, my first thought is, well this person should be cut some slack they're new to the world of bourbon.

woodford reserve is a bit more available at bars than most of the bourbons we really like. i went to 2 restaurants this past week on business dinners. bourbon selection sucked. they didn't even have woodford reserve. they both had wt101, jim beam white label and tried to convince me that jd was bourbon. the place with the better selection had makers mark and wsr. i had the wsr. btw, the bar tender tried to convince me that makers mark was very similar to rye whiskey when i asked if they had any rye whiskey. LOL

CorvallisCracker
03-02-2012, 16:25
So Georgia....got any favorite vodkas?

smgrey24
03-02-2012, 16:55
"Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)...

Well said ! Indeed, many of my cheap bourbons have lived up to your observations. Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got. As a proclaimed “top shelfer”,imagine my chagrin when I took my first pour of Angels Envy. Having bought into the hype of Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy, I was left feeling cheated – both in taste and in the wallet. Just goes to show that money cannot buy everything.:bigeyes:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-02-20182057.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/imagejpeg_2_12.jpg

smgrey24
03-02-2012, 17:10
So Georgia....got any favorite vodkas?

Veil, Three Olives and Skyy … in that order. Never really went for the good stuff since the lime and tonic I added masked any real taste. I must confess that Vodka was my primary drink of choice until I discovered bourbon. Was always of the opinion that white liquor would prevent hangovers (funny, the things we tell ourselves in order to justify the drink). My first taste of bourbon was all it took it get me hooked and I have never looked back. Trying to make up for lost time … so many bourbons, so little time.:toast:

troyce
03-02-2012, 17:32
SMGREY 24,
Being in Georgia, you sound like a prime candidate for the Georgia Bourbon Society, although you seem to have much more class , taste and intelligence than most of of the other members. Our only female member, Dawn,
( from Indiana, but Joe thought that was a town in south Georgia) was just named Bourbonian of the Yr, so you could be a consideration to help her balance out and improve the group. The membership committee will be in touch.

CorvallisCracker
03-02-2012, 17:42
Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got.

Lost me there Georgia. Dickel #12 is a fave.

Regarding vodka

Veil, Three Olives and Skyy … in that order.
A $13 and two $20 vodkas. Not throwing away too much money there.

Never really went for the good stuff since the lime and tonic I added masked any real taste. That'll be true for nearly all of them. We have one here in Oregon - Sugar Momma - that's made from molasses (originally cane sugar, but they recently switched) and smells like rum. Makes a hell of a Harvey Wallbanger.

...funny, the things we tell ourselves in order to justify the drink...
Huh?

My first taste of bourbon was all it took it get me hooked and I have never looked back.
Yes, it's a gateway drug. Eventually you'll be drinking malt Scotch...then Islay malts...:cry:

Trying to make up for lost time … so many bourbons, so little time. Consider 375ml bottles.

ebo
03-02-2012, 18:12
Well said ! Indeed, many of my cheap bourbons have lived up to your observations. Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got. As a proclaimed “top shelfer”,imagine my chagrin when I took my first pour of Angels Envy. Having bought into the hype of Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy, I was left feeling cheated – both in taste and in the wallet. Just goes to show that money cannot buy everything.:bigeyes:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-02-20182057.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/imagejpeg_2_12.jpg
There is no comparison between Devil's Cut and Dickel 12. Dickel 12 is a very good Tennessee whisky.... especially for the price. Devil's Cut, while not bad (IMO), is not remotely close to the quality or value for the price, to Dickel 12.

And.............. welcome to SB.com

AaronWF
03-02-2012, 18:30
Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got. As a proclaimed “top shelfer”,imagine my chagrin when I took my first pour of Angels Envy. Having bought into the hype of Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy, I was left feeling cheated – both in taste and in the wallet. Just goes to show that money cannot buy everything.:bigeyes:

I agree on not caring for the Angels Envy, but don't let that stop you from picking up some of the Parker's Heritage Cognac stuff. I think it may just be my 2011 bourbon of the year...

I've never bothered with Devil's Cut, and I'm not sure why a 'top shelfer' like yourself would stoop to such a lowly Beam product. The only current Beam product I have any interest in is Old Grand Dad, though while good, I don't really see the BiB making it back into my cabinet. I have yet to try the 114, so I'm sure I'll pick one up one of these days.

The Dickel though... you got it all wrong sister. On the other hand, though I very much enjoyed the one bottle I drank through, I'm not rushing to pick up more. However, I have three words for you: Dickel Barrel Select. Do yourself a favor and grab some. Entirely unique, exotic, delicious and sophisticated, it brings out the best of the #12 while leaving the less lustful behind.

Your 'top shelfer' attitude definitely gives you away as having very little experience with dusties. One of the best bottles of bourbon I ever drank had an old grocery sticker of $5.99 on the cap. It was an Old Grand Dad 86 from the early 70's.

Also, get together with someone or a few who know their bourbon and have them blind taste test you. You may be surprised at the results.

Jono
03-02-2012, 19:31
This thread led me to pour from my long opened BH that is about 1/8 th full.

It is not so much that I really dislike it, but rather the price did not justify the result. It is sharp on the nose and all high notes in the mouth. Not a complex profile, rather one dimensional and at 80 proof a quick finish. Certainly drinkable, just not to my expectation.

mosugoji64
03-02-2012, 21:06
Also, get together with someone or a few who know their bourbon and have them blind taste test you. You may be surprised at the results.

Ah yes, the great equalizer! Blind testing is a lot of fun, but can be very humbling if you come to the table with a lot of preconceived notions. Good suggestion!

Brisko
03-02-2012, 22:15
Ah yes, the great equalizer! Blind testing is a lot of fun, but can be very humbling if you come to the table with a lot of preconceived notions. Good suggestion!

I agree, blind tasting is an essential part of the journey.

They say there's no accounting for taste, and this thread proves it. :lol:

I won't disagree with most of your picks, smgrey24, but I find it interesting that you reject Dickel 12 while extolling Woodford, 1792, and Basil Hayden's. Don't get me wrong, all of those have their good points, but I'd put Dickel over those three at any price.

MarkEdwards
03-03-2012, 11:15
I find it interesting that you reject Dickel 12 while extolling Woodford, 1792, and Basil Hayden's. Don't get me wrong, all of those have their good points, but I'd put Dickel over those three at any price.

Doggone it! I have never picked up a bottle of Dickel 12, but I can see that my next trip will require it. As if I didn't have too many bottles* in my stash already. :rolleyes:

*There is no such thing as too many bottles. Some will just end up going to my grandkids, but none of them untasted.

ebo
03-03-2012, 12:31
Doggone it! I have never picked up a bottle of Dickel 12, but I can see that my next trip will require it. As if I didn't have too many bottles* in my stash already. :rolleyes:

*There is no such thing as too many bottles. Some will just end up going to my grandkids, but none of them untasted.
It's an addition you won't regret.

CorvallisCracker
03-03-2012, 12:43
I have three words for you: Dickel Barrel Select. Do yourself a favor and grab some. Entirely unique, exotic, delicious and sophisticated, it brings out the best of the #12 while leaving the less lustful behind.

I agree that DBS has an edge over #12, but it's not twice as good, and it costs over twice as much (at least here in OR).

But then, the high price and fancy bottle may actually make it more attractive to our Georgia gal.

ebo
03-03-2012, 12:54
I agree that DBS has an edge over #12, but it's not twice as good, and it costs over twice as much (at least here in OR).

But then, the high price and fancy bottle may actually make it more attractive to our Georgia gal.
I really like DBS. I really dislike paying twice the cost for a whisky that "should" be 100 proof. It has a great quality to it, but it would be a lot better at a higher proof. Therfore, I don't find it as appealing as the #12 offering at half the price.

smgrey24
03-03-2012, 13:02

So, so true – I am not ashamed to say that my head has been turned before by a pretty bottle and a high price tag. There within lies the rub...my favorites are not cheap. As suspect as it may appear,the common thread between my favorites - and driver of my taste buds- appears to be price. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the velvet kiss of Four Roses Mariage. Have even ventured over to the blended side with a sip now and again of VO and Crown Royal. But my heart belongs to those of a higher class. Call me a snob or an elitist if you like...but just call me for a drink.:blush:
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-03-02205445.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-03-02210317.jpg

smgrey24
03-03-2012, 13:22
Yes, it's a gateway drug. Eventually you'll be drinking malt Scotch...then Islay malts...:cry:.

I have a confession … I have visited the dark side. The dark side of single malt scotch that is ! While bourbon is my first love, I was determined not to become a one trick pony. So I took the plunge- head first into the peaty world of Laphroaig and Ardbeg. My journey continued as I met (and enjoyed) a few of their milder cousins like Auchentoshan and Oban. My bunker has quite a collection of single malts in my quest to prove (or disprove) my claim that I am also a scotch drinker. A wise man once told me that scotch is an acquired taste that is to be developed and will mature over time. I’m not sure that I have the patience to wait.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/The%20Bar/2012-03-02202950.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/The%20Bar/2012-02-29181230.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-03-02232148.jpg

smgrey24
03-03-2012, 13:36

As bourbon lovers, my friend and I regularly (ok, almost every night) taste a few select bourbons. We fancy ourselves as quite the adventurers as we navigate the bourbon waters. Most times trying something new, while also revisiting some old friends - and rejects - from previous tastings. Often we find that first impressions can be deceiving because our second go round provided a different experience. I like your idea about blind tastings. None of our tastings have been blind so am wondering if the “in plain sight” element factored into our ratings? Perhaps preconceived expectations are contributing to my bias. I will give this blind thing a try tonight. Stay tuned! :drink:

smgrey24
03-03-2012, 13:49
I have elevated my bottom shelfers to top shelf status ... in location that is. Keep my Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, Russell Reserve, Rock Hill Farms, Michters, Wathens & a few dozen of their closest friends behind closed doors high a top my bunker. Do this to keep from accidently taking a late night pour (talk about nightmares). As the pic reflects, takes some effort & thought to reach them. Can't be too safe !

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/The%20Bar/2012-03-02203018.jpg

CorvallisCracker
03-03-2012, 14:10

So, so true – I am not ashamed to say that my head has been turned before by a pretty bottle and a high price tag. A thick skin. That will serve you well here.

I have a confession … I have visited the dark side.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/The%20Bar/2012-03-02202950.jpg

:eek:

You sure have. And dropped some serious cash there, too.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/2012-03-02232148.jpg

:slappin:

I'm almost afraid to ask...do you drink wine?

"Domaine Romanée-Conti is God’s way of saying you’re making too much money."
- Robin Williams

T Comp
03-03-2012, 14:26
As bourbon lovers, my friend and I regularly (ok, almost every night) taste a few select bourbons. We fancy ourselves as quite the adventurers as we navigate the bourbon waters. Most times trying something new, while also revisiting some old friends - and rejects - from previous tastings. Often we find that first impressions can be deceiving because our second go round provided a different experience. I like your idea about blind tastings. None of our tastings have been blind so am wondering if the “in plain sight” element factored into our ratings? Perhaps preconceived expectations are contributing to my bias. I will give this blind thing a try tonight. Stay tuned! :drink:

The best blind tasting is if you can get with a few people and have samples provided that are not even from your own stash. It is amazing when you are totally clueless how surprised and mistaken, about the whiskey in your glass, you can be. Also nice to work with a blind sample for a few days and maybe notice different things when you go back the next day. I always believed I prefer wheaters (and reason for my avatar) but have ranked them lower in true blind tastings than I would expect.

That being said there is an undeniable subjective component to taste from things like knowing the price, bottle design, age, distillery, mash bill etc. that factor into real world drinking and enjoyment. We accept the tricks our brains play on us from those things...just as I still love my wheaters too :grin: .

smgrey24
03-04-2012, 15:39
I'm almost afraid to ask...do you drink wine?

Why yes, now that you ask ... I have been known to imbibe in a glass or two of wine. Usually lean toward a full-bodied, bold Cabernet – its dark ruby color awakens my taste buds. Best paired with a local Georgia favorite of fried chicken livers served with a side of spaghetti (don’t judge it until you’ve tried this tasty, dynamic duo. Delicious!). When I am feeling playful, I will go for a crisp glass of Moscato. However, wine is not a serious drink to me as I find it akin to a condiment during a meal. Definitely not the star of the show. Now Bourbon on the other hand needs nothing more to shine than a thimble full of water … and a friend. :yum:

Brisko
03-09-2012, 07:42
Well, "Top Shelf Chick," you've made a nice splash here. Hopefully we haven't made you too uncomfortable :rolleyes:. I think you'll find that we're pretty non-judgmental here when it comes to whiskey preferences-- as I said earlier, there's no accounting for taste (TNAFT).

I know I've sure enjoyed your posts here and on the other thread, but I do have some questions because I am primarily a "Bottom Shelf Dude":cool: and I'd love to get some insight from you.

1. In your first post you talked about "George T. Stagg, Pappy, Parkers, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden." Others have pointed it out, but how did Woodford and Basil get in there? Both can be had for around $30 in my area, so I don't really consider them "top shelf," price-wise. I also don't think much of them flavor-wise but that's another story altogether:lol:.

2. Has that bottle of Fighting Cock even been opened?:skep:

3. You write, "Have even ventured over to the blended side with a sip now and again of VO and Crown Royal." Why would you subject yourself to those when there are so many fine Canadian's on the market?:bigeyes: As a "Top Shelf Chick" you owe it to yourself to pick up a bottle of Crown Royal XR, or barring that, Crown Royal Reserve.

4. I, too, like to venture into the "dark side" with Scotch, and I like just about every one of those bottles in your picture (the ones I can identify, anyway). But they're not very top shelf, dear. Those are all entry level malts:frown:. Nothing wrong with them but the seem a little below your station :grin:.

5. Clan MacGregor? Really?:slappin:I buy a lot of cheap booze, but I've never been tempted by that particular bottle.:bigeyes:

6. You write, "I have elevated my bottom shelfers to top shelf status ... in location that is. Keep my Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, Russell Reserve, Rock Hill Farms, Michters, Wathens & a few dozen of their closest friends behind closed doors high a top my bunker." I am confused by this because none of these are remotely bottom shelf. Are you saying that they're bottom shelf to you? That makes more sense. But, of all of those pictured, I think that Four Roses Single Barrel, Rock Hill Farms, and Hancock's could easily share the same company as your opening post (Stagg, Pappy, Parker's, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden). So I'm confused. If it's just that you don't like them, that's cool. TNAFT, after all.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts! Welcome to SB, again!

smgrey24
03-10-2012, 18:10
1. In your firstpost you talked about "George T. Stagg, Pappy, Parkers, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden." Others have pointed it out, but how did Woodford and Basil get in there? Both can be had for around $30 in my area, so I don't really consider them "top shelf," price-wise. I also don't think much of them flavor-wise but that's another story altogether.
One word (or is it two?): Taste buds. According to my taste buds, Woodford and Basil are priceless. As a result, they have been elevated to top shelf status. Both are my “go-to” bourbons. Smooth and velvety – go down like butter. Now, George – I would marry him if he were available … and a man.

2. Has that bottle of Fighting Cock even beenopened?
Opened yes, savored no.

3. You write, "Have even ventured overto the blended side with a sip now and again of VO and Crown Royal." Why would you subject yourself to those when there are so many fine Canadian's onthe market? As a "Top Shelf Chick" you owe it to yourself to pick up a bottle of Crown Royal XR, or barring that, Crown Royal Reserve.
In Georgia, our summer’s heatup. No better way to cool down than by sipping a tall, iced tea sized glass of VO mixed with water – served over ice. So refreshing! I fancy myself very global so the Canadian’s have been added to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip.

4. I, too, like to venture into the "dark side" with Scotch, and I like just about every one of those bottles in your picture (the ones I can identify, anyway).But they're not very top shelf, dear. Those are all entry level malts. Nothing wrong with them but the seem a little below your station .
When it comes to scotch, I’m a true Dr. Jekyll / Ms. Hyde. It’s either the full impact of peat or no peat at all. No middle of the peat road for me. Since I am still in the experiential stage, to save money (for bourbon, of course), chose to dip my toes on the cheaper side of darkness … for now.

5. Clan MacGregor? Really?I buy a lot of cheap booze, but I've never been tempted by that particular bottle.
My temptation rests square with Jim Murray. Was so intrigued by his rating of Clan MacGregor – which was in the high 90’s (94 I believe). Could it be that diamond in the rough? An undiscovered gem? The only thing that was high was Jim! A most watered down, non-descript scotch – rates right down there with his cousin, J&B, to me. Fools Gold!

6. You write, "I have elevated my bottom shelfers to top shelf status ... in location that is. Keep my Rare Breed, Four Roses SingleBarrel, Russell Reserve, Rock Hill Farms, Michters, Wathens & a few dozen of their closest friends behind closed doors high a top my bunker." I am confused by this because none of these are remotely bottom shelf. Are you saying that they're bottom shelf to you? That makes more sense. But, of all of those pictured, I think that Four Roses Single Barrel, Rock Hill Farms,and Hancock's could easily share the same company as your opening post (Stagg,Pappy, Parker's, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden). So I'm confused.If it's just that you don't like them, that's cool. TNAFT, after all.
My taste buds are quite fickle and unfortunately add to the confusion (for us both). So, yes these are bottom shelfers to me. I try to convince myself that shelf assignment is determined by a complex algorithm that combines both taste and price … but who are we kidding. Like a wise man always says (oh, that would be you) … there is no accounting for taste.

Also, to hopefully clear up those "pesky" gender rumors ... here are some pics of me enjoying a few of my closest friends!
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/DSC_0065.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/DSC_0096.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/DSC_0088.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/DSC_0079.jpg

Neat
03-10-2012, 18:30
just some helpful advice - buy some good scotch and bourbon glasses. they don't have to be expensive but those tumbler like glasses aren't serving you well.

who asked you to posts pics with OP, GTS and PHC?:slappin:

smgrey24
03-10-2012, 19:15
who asked you to posts pics with OP, GTS and PHC?:slappin:
Posting pics with the trio??? ... then that would be you:lol:

isn't it obvious? PICS. post pics of yourself drinking OP, GTS and PHC.

just some helpful advice - buy some good scotch and bourbon glasses. they don't have to be expensive but those tumbler like glasses aren't serving you well.

Regarding the glasses: How about defining good for me because these are Waterford .... and why aren't they serving me - they have bourbon in them? No problem from where I sit (or should I say drink) :drink:

Neat
03-10-2012, 19:46
Posting pics with the trio??? ... then that would be you:lol:

Regarding the glasses: How about defining good for me because these are Waterford .... and why aren't they serving me - they have bourbon in them? No problem from where I sit (or should I say drink) :drink:

yeah i know it was me.:cool:

as for the glasses, people have their preferences. do a quick internet search - you'll see references to glencairns, reidels, cognac snifters, etc., there are threads on this board and articles on other sites. any whiskey would be better served by a small investment in quality and spirit specific glassware.

c2walker
03-10-2012, 19:54
[/URL]

The Glencairn glass really does amplify the nose (and are fairly inexpensive at around $30 for 4 on amazon), but at the end of the day you know what you enjoy and how you enjoy it best!

http://www.whiskyglass.com/ (http://www.whiskyglass.com/)

[URL]http://glassware.riedel.com/index.php/riedel/vinum/single-malt-whiskey-glass.html

Steve99
03-11-2012, 15:56
The Glencairn glass really does amplify the nose (and are fairly inexpensive at around $30 for 4 on amazon), but at the end of the day you know what you enjoy and how you enjoy it best!

I have to fully endorse that opinion. You will find things in the nose that you couldn't catch with the big glass. I've experimented with a number of glasses. The Glencairn's are great, their copita is also excellent, but a little more "dainty" with its stem then the Glencairn. I find I miss too much with a wide mouth glass -- the nose and taste are too closely related to miss any of the great nose -- especially in the top shelf bourbons you are drinking!

Welcome to SB!

Steve

Bmac
03-11-2012, 18:21
I have to fully endorse that opinion. You will find things in the nose that you couldn't catch with the big glass. I've experimented with a number of glasses. The Glencairn's are great, their copita is also excellent, but a little more "dainty" with its stem then the Glencairn. I find I miss too much with a wide mouth glass -- the nose and taste are too closely related to miss any of the great nose -- especially in the top shelf bourbons you are drinking!

Welcome to SB!

Steve

I'm going to echo these statments. They really do add a layer of appreciation that was being missed in my early sippin' years. In fact I had to go back to basics with my bourbon and rediscover them all over again.

Stu
03-11-2012, 22:03
While I, too, am a Glencairn fan. any tulip shaped glass will bring ou the nose well. To really amplify it, cover the glass with a lid (a poker chip works well), swirl it and inspect the legs, uncover and nose. You'll be surprised how much more aroma you get.

Brisko
03-12-2012, 08:23
One word (or is it two?): Taste buds.
Well, there you go. Seems like maybe it isn't all about price, after all.:grin:

In Georgia, our summer’s heatup. No better way to cool down than by sipping a tall, iced tea sized glass of VO mixed with water – served over ice. So refreshing! I fancy myself very global so the Canadian’s have been added to my shopping list. Thanks for the tip. Well don't put too much stock in that tip because I haven't tried either of them. I just know they're not cheap!:lol:

When it comes to scotch, I’m a true Dr. Jekyll / Ms. Hyde. It’s either the full impact of peat or no peat at all. No middle of the peat road for me. Since I am still in the experiential stage, to save money (for bourbon, of course), chose to dip my toes on the cheaper side of darkness … for now. Yeah, I was just giving you the needle.... you can spend a lot on Scotch and not always get the best return, in my opinion. I feel like high end bourbons tend to be more consistently good as a very general rule.

My temptation rests square with Jim Murray. Was so intrigued by his rating of Clan MacGregor – which was in the high 90’s (94 I believe). Could it be that diamond in the rough? An undiscovered gem? The only thing that was high was Jim! A most watered down, non-descript scotch – rates right down there with his cousin, J&B, to me. Fools Gold!You learned a valuable lesson there. I hesitate to badmouth JM but let's just say he seems to live in an alternate reality.:skep:

Welcome again. Nice pictures... not necessary as far as I'm concerned, but nice to put a face with a name....:cool:

jcg9779
03-12-2012, 10:15

I'll echo the other words about the glasseware. I never reach for my Waterfords anymore - Glencairns, snifters, and other smaller glasses work much better for capturing the aromas of the whiskey. I find that I always get a slightly different taste when I drink out of Waterford when compared to other glasses as well.

Neat
03-12-2012, 12:37
if you are going to spend $$$$ on bourbon (and i'm not criticizing it because i do as well), really invest in some appropriate glassware - really does make a huge difference. i think every post confirms this.

i actually like some of the finer, more delicate glassware than the glencairns (the thinner glassware just works better for me) but they tend to be more expensive (both acquisition and maintenance) so usually drink them out of the glencairns or the free glasses some of the scotch distillers USED to give away for free during the holidays.

but of course, i've drank out of flasks (again, free ones in gift packs) and they taste pretty good then too! with respect to flasks, i limit bourbon i'll put in there with stuff like current wt101, etc., which, by the way, i like. not as good as the old wt 8yo but it's still good bourbon, esp for the price (relative to current offerings and price).

mosugoji64
03-12-2012, 16:23
if you are going to spend $$$$ on bourbon (and i'm not criticizing it because i do as well), really invest in some appropriate glassware - really does make a huge difference. i think every post confirms this.

i actually like some of the finer, more delicate glassware than the glencairns (the thinner glassware just works better for me) but they tend to be more expensive (both acquisition and maintenance) so usually drink them out of the glencairns or the free glasses some of the scotch distillers USED to give away for free during the holidays.

but of course, i've drank out of flasks (again, free ones in gift packs) and they taste pretty good then too! with respect to flasks, i limit bourbon i'll put in there with stuff like current wt101, etc., which, by the way, i like. not as good as the old wt 8yo but it's still good bourbon, esp for the price (relative to current offerings and price).

What changed my opinion on glassware was having the opportunity to sample a bottle of FR1B from a generic wineglass and a Reidel single malt glass side by side. I had never given a thought to the glass I used, but this changed my mind. The difference was stunning. I went home, did some research, chose a set of Glencairn crystal glasses and have never been disappointed. The people who have recommended glassware tailored to whiskey likely came to their decisions from experience as well. Do yourself a favor and get some glasses that will pamper that Stagg!

smgrey24
03-13-2012, 15:39
Thanks to all for the glass recommendations. Have a set coming off Amazon. Never thought it could get any better than Waterford...but am excited to see how shape plays into the whole tasting experience. Not sure it is possible to improve the Stagg...George would be delicious drank straight from a paper cup:slappin:

camduncan
03-13-2012, 16:39
George would be delicious drank straight from a paper cup:slappin:

As long as it didn't melt the paper cup :lol:

jburlowski
03-13-2012, 17:05
IMO, this whole "proper glass" thing is a lotta fashion over form. I would bet that 90%+ of the people on this site (most of which are more sophisticated than the average drinker... I think), couldn't reliably tell the difference between a pour from a Glencairn / Reidel vs. a brown paper bag. They've been told it tastes better / looks better in a certain type of glass so they (for whatever reason) believe it.

It's your whiskey... drink it the way you like it.

MarkEdwards
03-13-2012, 18:45
IMO, this whole "proper glass" thing is a lotta fashion over form. I would bet that 90%+ of the people on this site (most of which are more sophisticated than the average drinker... I think), couldn't reliably tell the difference between a pour from a Glencairn / Reidel vs. a brown paper bag. They've been told it tastes better / looks better in a certain type of glass so they (for whatever reason) believe it.

It's your whiskey... drink it the way you like it.

I've found that a glass that focusses the nose improves the overall experience. Like this dark beauty I'm sipping on now. Oh, wait, this is Diet Coke. :cool:

Seriously, though, I did find that even Maker's Mark was improved by using a Glencairn instead of a regular glass.

AaronWF
03-13-2012, 22:47

My experience tells me otherwise. I miss drinking my whiskey out of a nice heavy-based rocks glass, but since trying from a glencairn, I can't go back. I get so much more subtlety from my whiskey drinking from a glencairn, be it Saz18 and Pappy20 or VOB and Ritt, that I rarely if ever use my lovely, crystal-etched old fashioned chalice anymore.

Don't get me wrong, at your house I'm happily drinking out of whatever glass you pour into, but at home I have to go with glencairn.

Steve99
03-14-2012, 09:36
Not sure it is possible to improve the Stagg...George would be delicious drank straight from a paper cup:slappin:

I can't argue with that, but I will be interested to hear your impressions after you try it with your new glasses. I think you'll love your top shelf bourbon even more.

LikeItWasSodaPop
03-14-2012, 10:26
Yeah, this glass doesn't effect taste nonsense is really dumb and I mean that as in: If you really think glass doesn't effect taste, then I think you're dumb. I've done a few blind tastings where I provide the same bourbon in a rocks glass and have people taste it against the SAME bourbon in a Glencairn.

Guess what, folks? People describe the one in the Glencairn with more detail/nuance and universally like it better. And yes, it's because it concentrates the nose.

Smell is a huge component of taste, so the Glencairn "effect" is just basic SCIENCE, people.

I get that there are a lot of right wingers on here who are anti-science, so maybe that's where this nonsense springs from? I'm only halfway joking.

I did those tastings with people trying mid-shelf bourbons neat. These were tastings with my brother and his friends -- not bourbon experts. I just loved how they'd universally proclaim sample #1 WAY better than sample #2 when the only difference is rocks glass vs. Glencairn.

I'm sort of honestly surprised this is an actual debate! But I guess that pesky "science" stuff is always open to debate.

CorvallisCracker
03-14-2012, 11:18
Now, now. Don't try to convince John that he's wrong. If you succeed he'd have to change his avatar.

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-14-2012, 11:22
I have had many the same scotches and bourbons pictured in your collection. I started with scotch and kinda shifted my taste to bourbon...and yes...I have always favoured a glencairn glass lol. I see occasionally you like crown royal. Have you tried top shelf canadian whiskies? Some around the $150 price point here are wiser's red letter and crown royal xtra rare. I do enjoy the canadian whiskies up in price from regular crown royal around $50 such as forty creek confederation oak, wiser's legacy, alberta premium 30yo and canadian club 20yo.

Special Reserve
03-14-2012, 11:23
Now, now. Don't try to convince John that he's wrong. If you succeed he'd have to change his avatar.

Usually people like what they like. I've always found John to be a most reasonable man and take seriously what he says.

Fpst
03-14-2012, 11:24
Yeah, this glass doesn't effect taste nonsense is really dumb and I mean that as in: If you really think glass doesn't effect taste, then I think you're dumb. I've done a few blind tastings where I provide the same bourbon in a rocks glass and have people taste it against the SAME bourbon in a Glencairn.

Guess what, folks? People describe the one in the Glencairn with more detail/nuance and universally like it better. And yes, it's because it concentrates the nose.

Smell is a huge component of taste, so the Glencairn "effect" is just basic SCIENCE, people.

I get that there are a lot of right wingers on here who are anti-science, so maybe that's where this nonsense springs from? I'm only halfway joking.

I did those tastings with people trying mid-shelf bourbons neat. These were tastings with my brother and his friends -- not bourbon experts. I just loved how they'd universally proclaim sample #1 WAY better than sample #2 when the only difference is rocks glass vs. Glencairn.

I'm sort of honestly surprised this is an actual debate! But I guess that pesky "science" stuff is always open to debate.

Whoa, calm down there killer. I agree that the glass makes a difference. But if you want to put this to rest with your "science," by all means include a copy of your detailed report. While anecdotes seem to be fine with the rest of us, they seem to frustrate you. So please try to give us a little more. And there is no need to attack anyone or any group of people on this board. We're all bourbon drinkers. :grin: :icon_pidu:

CorvallisCracker
03-14-2012, 11:34
Usually people like what they like. I've always found John to be a most reasonable man

As do I.

and take seriously what he says.

And you should know me well enough to not take me too seriously.

Oh, the curse of a sardonic sense of humor. They told me that bourbon was the potion that would cure it, but it just seems to be making it worse.

ebo
03-14-2012, 16:55
Gettin' kinda scrappy over a glass! :lol:

I'm in the camp that thinks a glass that concentrates the nose, does make a difference in taste... somewhat. I ALWAYS drink Scotch from a Glencairn or Copita glass. I drink Bourbon from almost anything.:grin:

Recently, I've been using a crystal D'Arques glass that I just love, for my Bourbon. http://www.amazon.com/Cristal-DArques-Longchamp-Set-4/dp/B0006LP9RW/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1331765614&sr=1-2 It's all good! :cool:

smgrey24
03-15-2012, 17:32
I see occasionally you like crown royal. Have you tried top shelf canadian whiskies? Some around the $150 price point here are wiser's red letter and crown royal xtra rare. I do enjoy the canadian whiskies up in price from regular crown royal around $50 such as forty creek confederation oak, wiser's legacy, alberta premium 30yo and canadian club 20yo.

Yes, have tried a sip or two of Wiser's and found it to be mighty tasty ...
If you are in Canada by chance, how about sending some Gibson's my way - now that is some delicious pour:cool:

fishnbowljoe
03-15-2012, 20:04
If you are in Canada by chance, how about sending some Gibson's my way - now that is some delicious pour:cool:

Gibson's is okay.

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-16-2012, 10:53
Which Gibson's were you looking for? The 12 is available in USA. The Sterling is a step down from that available in Canada only (most call it a mixer). The Gibson's 18 rare is the most expensive ($75 for 750ml).

smgrey24
03-18-2012, 16:24
Took the recommendation to try a Canadian Blended Whisky ... saw a billboard for Crown Royal Black that read "Bold as Bourbon, Smooth as a Crown". Truth in advertising? I have to admit that it was tasty. Bold it is, not much fruit, a hint of char. Surprising it tastes like good bourbon unlike most Canadian Blended Whisky. I'll be enjoying this often. Oh, and by the way picked up a new pen while Crown shopping. It's a Pelikan Italic...goes well with my IWC 3714 Portugese Chronograph don't you think?
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/smgrey24/DSC_0078-1.jpg

Bmac
03-19-2012, 13:41
I figure...why not chime in myself. This is a rare bottle of Charter Private Reserve...and my small Esterbrook collection (I don't have a watch anymore :( ) Behind is my bar.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/gaikotsu/PRandPenz.jpg

redbear
03-19-2012, 13:48
This thread just keeps getting weirder.

sob0728
03-19-2012, 13:54
This thread just keeps getting weirder.

Wait until this summer when people start posting pictures of expensive craft lemonade, designer vodka, and $500 sunglasses.

WsmataU
03-20-2012, 15:29
:rolleyes:Can't you just post a picture of your checkbook and settle the debate?:rolleyes:

Ii thought this forum was about drinking bourbon.

ILLfarmboy
03-20-2012, 16:06

Hard core right winger here......and I drink from a Riedel or snifter. (Basic science) just like redshift and carbon-14 decaying into nitrogen-14.

Think lefties can't be anti-science? Try arguing in favor of a paleo-diet to a bunch of vegan granola munchers.

Bmac
03-20-2012, 16:18
:rolleyes:Can't you just post a picture of your checkbook and settle the debate?:rolleyes:

Ii thought this forum was about drinking bourbon.

What's a check book got to do with a debate?

ILLfarmboy
03-20-2012, 16:26
Are you being facetious?

Price is being correlated with quality.

And based on smgrey24's pics she (if she is a she) likes to flash her wealth.

Nothing wrong with wealth. I'm a hard core capitalist but it looks oddly conspicuous and without bourbon related purpose.