PDA

View Full Version : So why do like you Bourbon better than Scotch?

weller_tex
03-06-2012, 14:02
There are some similar threads to this on the board, but not exactly this particular question. What is it about Bourbon that makes you prefer it? What taste component..etc caused you to prefer it over Scotch...or is it simply economics.

For me I think it is threefold..and I was a Scotch only drinker for a while (still like many Single malts):

1) Economics..at least in the U.S. I can get high quality bourbon for much less than the cost of a good bottle of Scotch.

2) It's Made in America.

3) I went on a diet and cut out dessert pretty much. I discovered that Bourbon really satisfies my sweet tooth. I used to think that Bourbon was one-dimensional..just sweet, but now I feel that frequently it is actually more complex than Scotch. Sometimes the complexity is more subtle and takes some time.

Jonny.Applebury
03-06-2012, 14:05
I don't. :cool:

cigarnv
03-06-2012, 14:09
As with many things in life things I enjoy they are different rather than better... this is the case of bourbon and scotch.... neither is better, they are just different...

WsmataU
03-06-2012, 15:04
For me it is a matter of pride and $$$. I've never been much of a scotch drinker, so I'm sure there are ones that I might enjoy. But I do get a kick out of giving friends (that are scotch drinkers) a bottle of ER17 as a gift and telling them that a comparable quality bottle of scotch would be $500.

I also love telling snobby scotch drinkers that if I wanted my whiskey to taste like that, all I would have to do is grab a handful of garden soil and drop it in my glass :slappin:

Ejmharris
03-06-2012, 15:44
I have tried many times to like Scotch. I have a good friend from Glascow and tried some good bottles but for me it simply comes down to taste preference. I do not like the peat or smoke at all. I have a bottle of Glen Rothes that I believe Chuck discussed in a blog that I am eager to try but I need to make it through the Macallan 18 and Amrut before I open a new Scotch.

I do tend to choose bourbon over other spirits because as a general rule it goes down neat better than any other with maybe the exception of high end tequila (my second favorite).

That is the reason why it choose it for taste. I tend to choose it for more sublime reasons as well. The history of the spirit and tradition is what has lead me have a passion for it. Passion is maybe not the right term, sickness is better. What was Chuck's term for it?

I think this forum also has subliminal messages built in from from the big guys causing us to empty our wallets on the juice time after time. I can't tell you the number of times I put myself on a buying freeze only to be heading south to KY for lunch or after work on a mission to find something new. I know from other posts that I am not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BFerguson
03-06-2012, 15:53
That is the reason why it choose it for taste. I tend to choose it for more sublime reasons as well. The history of the spirit and tradition is what has lead me have a passion for it. Passion is maybe not the right term, sickness is better. What was Chuck's term for it?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11206&highlight=nervosa

Yep, sounds like a acute case to me. Sad to see another succomb so quickly to the disease.

B

Ejmharris
03-06-2012, 16:01
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11206&highlight=nervosa

Yep, sounds like a acute case to me. Sad to see another succomb so quickly to the disease.

B

At least at this stage, I am glad you are still an enabler. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourbon Boiler
03-06-2012, 16:36
I could give a lot of reasons why I think I like bourbon better, but the fact is I started trying higher quality bourbons at the same time I was stuck with JW Red as my scotch. Thus I developed a taste for the bourbon, and scotch got left behind.

Beer&Bourbon
03-06-2012, 16:42
I do tend to choose bourbon over other spirits because as a general rule it goes down neat better than any other with maybe the exception of high end tequila (my second favorite).

I agree with the sentiment about the history and story that go along with bourbon. The intellectual pursuit is certainly a big part of my appreciation.

I didn't realize you're a tequila drinker. I've had a few well aged tequilas that I enjoyed (after many attempts to enjoy younger tequilas with no success). Any recommendations for reasonably priced well aged tequilas? A couple friends are into sipping tequilas as well; we could attempt to organize a local tequila tasting as well if you're interested. If we wait until it's a bit warmer we could sample some pipe tobacco or cigars as well.

camduncan
03-06-2012, 17:20
For me it's simple.... that smell and taste of Scotch makes me want to thow up .... so I avoid it at all costs.

M Pickle
03-06-2012, 17:23
It is as simple as taste. Scotch tastes good, but bourbon tastes great! To my palate bourbon is more balanced and enjoyable. Scotch is interesting and fun to experience, but it rarely has me reaching for the bottle to get another pour. I have to exercise extreeme discipline to not drain a bottle of bourbon.

I also like the strict laws governing bourbon production. IMO it is the highest quality spirit in the world.

Restaurant man
03-06-2012, 17:38
It's gotta be the charred new oak barrels and the flavors thrown off by the grain in bourbon. Malted barley... No thanks. :puke:

ebo
03-06-2012, 17:40
As with many things in life things I enjoy they are different rather than better... this is the case of bourbon and scotch.... neither is better, they are just different...
:toast:

TheDude
03-06-2012, 18:27
I don't care for the malted barley/peat overtones in scotch. Tastes too "earthy" for me.

As for bourbon, I prefer the sweetness and the price (at least for now) is much cheaper than many scotch labels. Plus, I'm from Kentucky and its pretty neat to enjoy something made here at home.

mosugoji64
03-06-2012, 19:56
I try Scotches whenever possible in hopes that I'll find one I like. So far, it hasn't happened. The ones I've had have either been uninteresting or offensive but I keep trying. In the meantime, I have plenty of delicious Bourbon (and rye)! :grin:

Stormeh
03-06-2012, 20:26
I enjoy both, but prefer Bourbon. I only recently began enjoying Scotch when I discovered that not all Scotch is smokey/peaty. Price is certainly a factor as well, but in general I find myself more into the sweetness and strong oakiness of Bourbon.

I guess in the end I'm just a lover of whisk(e)y.

Bmac
03-06-2012, 21:06
Scotch carries a sense of elite-ism that puts me off. Bourbon is friendlier, more inviting.

Early attempts at trying to enjoy Scotch led to my dislike for peat and what they call "smokiness." I found that Scotch has a tendency to imitate some of Bourbon's characteristics (because most of them are aged in used Bourbon barrels), but only at 18yr and up releases. Which I don't need to remind you are ridiculously priced. The peat and smokiness is filtered out the longer it stays in the barrel. 10-12yr Scotchs are equivelent to 2-4yr Bourbons (for my palette.)

I like slightly sweet, caramel, vanilla, and butter toffee flavor notes. Most Scotchs tend to not have much in the way of caramel and toffee...again, not unless you buy an 800 dollar Macallan 25 year. For 800 dollars you could buy a whole mess of super premium Bourbons which would blow Macallan back into the stone age.

So, I like the occasional Scotch; just to be different that one day...but my main pour is, was, and will always be Bourbon.

sob0728
03-07-2012, 09:43
I like the Made in the USA aspect of bourbon and also, try finding a scotch under $20 that is as good as Buffalo Trace.

That said, I do like scotch, but drinking bourbon has turned me off to some of the smokier ones. I enjoy the lowlands (Auchentoshan) and I have a bottle of the Compass Box Great King Street that is really nice.

Also, I want to touch on what someone else said about the smoothness of high end tequila. Grab a bottle of Don Julio or Don Abraham anejo and you won't be disappointed. Clase Azul platino or reposado are also excellent, but expensive. Tequila is smoother and sweeter than bourbon, but much less complex. The "extra aged" tequilas have only been aged 3 years.

JayMonster
03-07-2012, 10:30
It is probably not a fair comparison from me, because I tend to be a (relatively) cheap drinker, so my exposure to Scotch is rather lowbrow stuff that my uncles, aunts, etc drink. (Dewars, J&B, Black and White, efc) And to me, the fact the Johnnie Walker is the best selling brand is proof that if marketed right, you can sell anything. The only Scotch I can say I enjoyed is a bottle of Chivas Regal I was given at my wedding... Which is still half full 17-1/2 years later.

While it is true that you may learn more about certain nuances as you go along, I have never been a bring proponent of of needing to "acquire the taste" for something. To me, all that means is that you have taken something you don't actually like and have rationalized it to yourself.

Bmac
03-07-2012, 11:20
It is probably not a fair comparison from me, because I tend to be a (relatively) cheap drinker, so my exposure to Scotch is rather lowbrow stuff that my uncles, aunts, etc drink. (Dewars, J&B, Black and White, efc) And to me, the fact the Johnnie Walker is the best selling brand is proof that if marketed right, you can sell anything. The only Scotch I can say I enjoyed is a bottle of Chivas Regal I was given at my wedding... Which is still half full 17-1/2 years later.

While it is true that you may learn more about certain nuances as you go along, I have never been a bring proponent of of needing to "acquire the taste" for something. To me, all that means is that you have taken something you don't actually like and have rationalized it to yourself.

Ugh, I recently learned a horrible truth about Jonnie W. They use Blue Label as a psychological tactic to get people to buy more lower end labels. That is why there is a massive shift in price from Green Label to Blue. The trick is, "Wow, look at the high price of blue label, the next step down is more affordable. I'll get that!". They actually are not concerned with selling as much blue label. In fact the quality isnt as good, just ask Ralfy :) (ralfy.com)

Brisko
03-07-2012, 11:39
well I like both but for different reasons, and I try not to confuse the two. I also like tequila, mezcal, slivovitz, among other things. But I suppose I drink more bourbon and rye simply because the QPR is really high.

Bmac, I'm not sure I'm getting your point on JW. Blue label is, and always has been, for people with more money than sense. :lol: I don't think that takes away from the black/green/gold labels and I think they're priced fairly for what they are.

I'm not a huge fan of Red label but I have been known to consume it in quantity in the form of beer and a bump :rolleyes:

Bmac
03-07-2012, 11:44
Bmac, I'm not sure I'm getting your point on JW. Blue label is, and always has been, for people with more money than sense. :lol: I don't think that takes away from the black/green/gold labels and I think they're priced fairly for what they are.

I'm not a huge fan of Red label but I have been known to consume it in quantity in the form of beer and a bump :rolleyes:

Nah, you got the point just fine :) Sometimes scotchs are price far beyond tyeir value and are there only for bragging rights. It is indeed silly.

macdeffe
03-07-2012, 12:02
I like both

The best whisky I have tried is from Scotland. But the selection of single malt is a lot bigger than bourbons. Corect me if I am wrong.

Quality for money, bourbon is by far the winner. Especially in the US. Not so much where I live

Single malts also excellences in having a lot more silly bottlings where packaging combined with marketing is the main focus

JW Blue is a marketing tool, the same can be said about a lot of distilleries products

They try to present themselves something like this "We are expensive, we must be good" (or better, or the best)

A good whisky is something that makes old man cry. I have become emotional over old Ardbegs, old Mortlachs, old Springbanks and the likes

Steffen

Gillman
03-07-2012, 12:37
A number of people have mentioned peat and smoke in Scotch whisky. Many classic malt whiskies use no peat or extremely little. The Macallan doesn't use any as far as I know. Ditto Glenmorangie, or Auchentoshan. Whereas all bourbon has a smoky tinge from the new charred barrel...

This is not to say anyone must like scotch whisky. Like a lot of things, even in its non-peated form, it is an acquired taste. I think it is actually the particular congeners (thrown off by classic pot still distillation) of malted barley spirit that puts people off, it's a particular taste that takes getting used to, and many never become accustomed to it, which is fair enough. But scotch is a classic world spirit, it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with bourbon, Cognac and some types of rum as amongst the world's best spirituous drinks, IMO.

Gary

BigRich
03-07-2012, 12:38
I don't. I like them equally. It's like choosing between my dogs or children. Sometimes I'm in the mood for scotch and bourbon just won't do. Sometimes it's the other way around. They each bring something different to the table. Fortunately, I have a pretty big table.

GreggJ
03-07-2012, 12:40
I enjoy both equally. Just as there are some bourbons I prefer over some scotches the same can also be said in reverse.

For me I enjoy both and take them both for what they are.

I would also disagree in regards to the QPR. Some scotches are just as good QPR as some scotches.

I would place Aberlour A'bunadh, Laphroaig 10yr Cask Strength, GTS, WLW, PHC in a similar category given their provenance in regards to quality, price and overall value.

For me it is all personal preference and how you train / develop your palate.

Some days nothing but, a pour of a damn fine bourbon will do. Just as some days I find it damn hard to beat a good islay.

I also enjoy many other liquors as well including Anejo's (Don Julio 1942, Casa Noble SB, JCRDLF) and rums (Ron Zacapa 23yo, Zaya, Havana CLub, El dorado etc).

I must say I enjoy all good libations profusely and will not limit my world to just one type. Frankly I am alway intersted in trying new things and gaining new expreiences / appreciations and would have it no other way.

I will say if you have not at least given scotch a try that you are missing a lot of quality and enjoyable bottles. As they say that just leaves more for me. :-)

weller_tex
03-07-2012, 12:53
I like both

A good whisky is something that makes old man cry. I have become emotional over old Ardbegs, old Mortlachs, old Springbanks and the likes

Steffen

Now I do love many Scotches, don't get me wrong. On your list..I was amazed at Ardbeg Uigeadahl..never had the really old Springers, but the new 12 year Cask Strength is really good.

Neat
03-07-2012, 13:40
There are some similar threads to this on the board, but not exactly this particular question. What is it about Bourbon that makes you prefer it? What taste component..etc caused you to prefer it over Scotch...or is it simply economics.

For me I think it is threefold..and I was a Scotch only drinker for a while (still like many Single malts):

1) Economics..at least in the U.S. I can get high quality bourbon for much less than the cost of a good bottle of Scotch.

2) It's Made in America.

3) I went on a diet and cut out dessert pretty much. I discovered that Bourbon really satisfies my sweet tooth. I used to think that Bourbon was one-dimensional..just sweet, but now I feel that frequently it is actually more complex than Scotch. Sometimes the complexity is more subtle and takes some time.

WOW! almost the same - economics (except the delta is not as great as it used to be), USA and i developed a sweet tooth. however, i still like single malts and rye whiskey. i prefer bourbons and rye whiskey.

SMOWK
03-07-2012, 14:07
I'll opt for the simple answer that needs no explanation. It tastes better.

ebo
03-07-2012, 14:41
Nah, you got the point just fine :) Sometimes scotchs are price far beyond tyeir value and are there only for bragging rights. It is indeed silly.
How do you think bourbon is priced in other countries? Scotch in Scotland isn't anywhere near the price it is here. I can imagine what a bottle of Stag would cost in Scotland. Just sayin'.

Neat
03-07-2012, 14:42
I'll opt for the simple answer that needs no explanation. It tastes better.

simple, direct and honest. i would have said "cheaper AND tastes better".

ebo
03-07-2012, 14:46
I don't. I like them equally. It's like choosing between my dogs or children. Sometimes I'm in the mood for scotch and bourbon just won't do. Sometimes it's the other way around. They each bring something different to the table. Fortunately, I have a pretty big table.
Amen!

Andre28
03-07-2012, 14:49
Try as i might, i just cant get the palate to appreciate a good Scotch. Quite simple, to me, Bourbon just tastes better.

Neat
03-07-2012, 15:19
when it's chilly/cold, i drink some of the scotches and i am reminded of sitting around a campfire, my nicks and scratches covered up by a bandaid or standing near a cliff, with the winter seas crashing against the cliffs. the majority of my bunker is devoted to bourbon and rye but i there are still some single malts: ardbegs, laphroaigs, lagavulins, taliskers and some dusty macallans, glenfarclas and glendronachs.

for those of you folks that don't like scotches, i can tell you that some of the irish stuff is very good.

AaronWF
03-07-2012, 15:36
A good whisky is something that makes old man cry.

Amen to that! Crying becomes harder and harder as you age, so anything that will break through the crust and fondle you in your deep parts is right up my alley...

These kinds of questions turn me off. I don't feel the need to put scotch down to elevate bourbon. Bourbon stands just fine on its own, thank you very much.

I have found it much easier to develop a close relationship with bourbon, and less so with scotch, simply because bourbon is so much more available here in the U.S. If I lived on the other side of the pond, I'd probably be spending much more time getting to know the ins and outs of malt.

For me, scotch prices make it very difficult to take a risk on something I may not like. I'll spend $20-$40 on a bottle of bourbon I'm not familiar with just for the education, but I'd be much more hard-pressed to spend $100+ on a bottle of scotch that I didn't know was a sure thing.

dmarkle
03-07-2012, 17:40
How do you think bourbon is priced in other countries? Scotch in Scotland isn't anywhere near the price it is here. I can imagine what a bottle of Stag would cost in Scotland. Just sayin'.

I once asked Ralfy and if I remember correctly I believe he said it was in the hundred*s* of dollars!

dmarkle
03-07-2012, 17:43
for those of you folks that don't like scotches, i can tell you that some of the irish stuff is very good.

It's amazing how people think of JB White when they hear "bourbon". It's amazing how people think of Jameson when they hear "Irish Whiskey". A good single malt Irish whiskey is amazing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's different enough from a Single Malt scotch that someone who doesn't like Single Malt Scotches will like a SM Irish Whiskey...

Andre28
03-07-2012, 18:03
When i was in the States it seemed there was plenty of scotch Around, at least as much as Bourbon? And at the airport duty free it was a tiny tiny selection of Bourbon compared to Scotch.

PappyVW23
03-07-2012, 18:41
true, there is much more scotch available in all the stores i have been in. and much more knowledge about scotch too.

macdeffe
03-07-2012, 22:33
A bottle of stag is is around 400$ where I live. It`s the importer abusing the fact that they get allocated few bottles:-) (not my favourite impoter....)
PvW is 100-200$ which is more on the general whisky price level
I think btac`s are around the 100 in UK
This is all about demand and availability...
It is a fact that if I want a full set of BTAC the price difference can pay the flight ticket to US and a big part of a holiday as well :-)

Steffen

Bmac
03-08-2012, 07:44
It's amazing how people think of JB White when they hear "bourbon". It's amazing how people think of Jameson when they hear "Irish Whiskey". A good single malt Irish whiskey is amazing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's different enough from a Single Malt scotch that someone who doesn't like Single Malt Scotches will like a SM Irish Whiskey...

Well, there's never any peat or brine in Irish whisky and tbey are many times tripple distilled. It tends to be more floral,minty, and sweeter than scotch. That's been my take but I only have 3 Irish whiskies in my collection.

Neat
03-08-2012, 08:10

i was thinking about redbreast. i've introduced people who don't like sm scotches to redbreast and they love the stuff and buy it regularly.

Brisko
03-08-2012, 08:14
Well, there's never any peat or brine in Irish whisky and tbey are many times tripple distilled. It tends to be more floral,minty, and sweeter than scotch. That's been my take but I only have 3 Irish whiskies in my collection.

Peated Irish whisky (http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/).

gburger
03-08-2012, 08:26
Just say the word "scotch" a one syllable word that I hear in a high pitched sound in my head.
"SCOTCH", not a very nice or pleasant sound.

Now say "Bourrrbon" a long two syllable word that drips off of the tongue inviting you to partake in an American product backed by years of pride and history. A sweet tasting, with hints of spice, orange peels, cinnamon, pepper, well this list can go on and on.

Why would anyone want a "SCOTCH" rather than a great pour of a fantastic brown and aged nectar that we call "Bourrrbon" that goes down smooth and invites you back for another?

timd
03-09-2012, 12:44
I like both.

I don't get this "historical" value of Bourbon over Scotch argument, however - because Scotch (and Irish whiskey) have been around much longer - those immigrants are who brought distilling to the US. Talk about History - it's in the UK for hundreds of years. No to diminish US history - because it's very cool too. But don't think they didn't have moonshiners & bootleggers in Europe.

I'm a whisk(e)y slut - I'll drink anything if it's good. Sure, I love a nice peaty dram of cask strength Islay nectar about second to none, but a well aged, spicy and juicy rye is also a little slice of heaven. A rich, sweet smokey single village mezcal? nirvana. Creamy, buttery, sweet and savory wheated bourbon? I'll take it any time of the day. It's all good.

I honestly don't see why you "have" to like one better than the other. Such a huge variety among Bourbons & Scotches and so many amazing flavors and smells - how on earth can you pick just one?????

Jono
03-09-2012, 12:49

Agree, I like them all at different times, depending on my mood etc.

Bmac
03-09-2012, 12:52
how on earth can you pick just one?????
Ditto. My Rum collection is second only to my bourbon collection.

JayMonster
03-09-2012, 14:23
From where I am at, some of you are getting unnecessarily defensive of Scotch. Nowhere does the original poster state a disdain for Scotch (though some of the posts answering... Including my own... Do).

I don't think it is an unreasonable assumption, considering this a board predominantly visited by and targeted at bourbon enthusiasts, that most people posting here have preferences that lean more to Bourbon than Scotch. And the question simply is, "Why is that the case? " That doesn't mean you can't like Scotch (or any other liquor).

ebo
03-09-2012, 14:26
I like both.

I don't get this "historical" value of Bourbon over Scotch argument, however - because Scotch (and Irish whiskey) have been around much longer - those immigrants are who brought distilling to the US. Talk about History - it's in the UK for hundreds of years. No to diminish US history - because it's very cool too. But don't think they didn't have moonshiners & bootleggers in Europe.

I'm a whisk(e)y slut - I'll drink anything if it's good. Sure, I love a nice peaty dram of cask strength Islay nectar about second to none, but a well aged, spicy and juicy rye is also a little slice of heaven. A rich, sweet smokey single village mezcal? nirvana. Creamy, buttery, sweet and savory wheated bourbon? I'll take it any time of the day. It's all good.

I honestly don't see why you "have" to like one better than the other. Such a huge variety among Bourbons & Scotches and so many amazing flavors and smells - how on earth can you pick just one?????
I'll second this post. It's all good.

ILLfarmboy
03-09-2012, 15:04
I like slightly sweet, caramel, vanilla, and butter toffee flavor notes..

Ditto.....

I like bourbon better because, as someone else noted, it sort of satisfies my sweet tooth.

I love what I would call dark rich flavors; I prefer Coke to any lemon/lime soda, I Love real maple syrup, dark chocolate, chocolate covered espresso beens, those mocha flavored coffee drinks sold in miniature milk bottles.

Something like ORVW 10/107 goes well with a nice grilled steak, charred on the outside with a warm red center it also goes well with BBQ, a molasses based sauce---more dark rich flavors.....

I like some scotches well enough but not on a regular basis.

TheDude
03-10-2012, 06:55
i was thinking about redbreast. i've introduced people who don't like sm scotches to redbreast and they love the stuff and buy it regularly.
Excellent point...I posted about Redbreast elsewhere on the forum earlier this week after picking up a bottle.

It's really an exceptional whiskey and a nice alternative to bourbon. I think some Irish whiskeys may be a "middle ground" between bourbon and scotch. Plus, its almost St. Paddie's day...no better time to enjoy a bottle! I would be curious to hear what other bourbon drinkers think about it.

mrt
03-10-2012, 12:49
For me, it's bourbon because it's sweeter, tastier, smells better and looks better. I do want to continue when I take a sip of bourbon, but this doesn't apply to scotch. However, I must confess that I do not have any experince with premium single malts.

And to be frank, story, history and some marketing stuff also have their partial effects on my bias towards bourbon.
Regards,

Janko
03-10-2012, 14:06
Mrt, try a 16 year Scapa or 14 year OBAN, I think they are by far the best singles under a $100

Fpst
03-10-2012, 16:55
Excellent point...I posted about Redbreast elsewhere on the forum earlier this week after picking up a bottle.

It's really an exceptional whiskey and a nice alternative to bourbon. I think some Irish whiskeys may be a "middle ground" between bourbon and scotch. Plus, its almost St. Paddie's day...no better time to enjoy a bottle! I would be curious to hear what other bourbon drinkers think about it.

I enjoy a lot of Irish whiskeys, but Redbreast is the only one that I try to always have a bottle of.

Lazer
03-12-2012, 14:16
I never had a scotch that didn't taste like cr@p. wait, I had glenlivet 15 and glenfiddich 15, they didn't taste like cr@p, but they were very mediocre so why would I waste my time and money on them? But most scotches that i've ever tried tasted like cr@p. I've never had a bourbon that didn't taste good. I haven't given up on scotch yet, I'm curious about springbank and highland park, but we'll have to wait untill I have money to burn. :cool:

VT Mike
03-13-2012, 00:15
I like the fact that Bourbon is generally much more affordable than Scotch, but I enjoy them equally.

thezenone
03-13-2012, 10:29
I don't really discriminate against any type of whisk(e)y. I would say that Bourbon is probably my favorite though. Why? Patriotism, maybe? :grin: I couldn't really say why I prefer bourbon to scotch. Maybe it's the stronger taste profile of bourbon compared to scotch. Even at the same ABV Bourbon just seems to have more flavor. Bourbon is currently a better value as well.

BootFNBD
03-13-2012, 10:38
I never had a scotch that didn't taste like cr@p. wait, I had glenlivet 15 and glenfiddich 15, they didn't taste like cr@p, but they were very mediocre so why would I waste my time and money on them? But most scotches that i've ever tried tasted like cr@p. I've never had a bourbon that didn't taste good. I haven't given up on scotch yet, I'm curious about springbank and highland park, but we'll have to wait untill I have money to burn. :cool:

The aroma of Scotch reminds me of an outhouse.

The Glencairn glass must have originated to dump scotch down the drain and not smell to much of it. Makes a great Bourbon glass!!

Scotch is Scotland's sorry attempt to make Irish Whiskey!

Bourbon and Rye rule!!!!

bgageus
03-13-2012, 10:49
I like Bourbon, because it is usually browner, I like brown. I will try scotch, but only if its really brown.
Sometimes its redder, too, and red is only second to brown.
Yellow looks like pee.:grin:

Other than that there are too many scotches for me to remember what I like.

StraightNoChaser
03-13-2012, 11:29
I like scotch but I prefer bourbon's profile. Plus it's a helluva lot cheaper and typically contains more alcohol.

mrt
03-13-2012, 15:08
I like Bourbon, because it is usually browner, I like brown. I will try scotch, but only if its really brown.
Yellow looks like pee.:grin:

Other than that there are too many scotches for me to remember what I like.

:) This explains the whole thing. I definitely agree on "brown".

Fpst
03-13-2012, 22:58
I wonder if we would be asking the opposite if we were all Scottish...

greens
03-14-2012, 00:11
Because it actually tastes good.

Restaurant man
03-14-2012, 06:10
I can't even keep up withball the bourbons I want to buy. I'm definitely not looking for a new beverage obsession to add to my "hobby":drinking:

MissinER101
03-14-2012, 13:58
A little egocentric here perhaps.... I find scotch to be like most Europeans, limp wristed without any backbone.

Scotch has always seemed weak not really full bodied, I really like my bourbon 100+ proof.

macdeffe
03-14-2012, 21:02
A little egocentric here perhaps.... I find scotch to be like most Europeans, limp wristed without any backbone.

I hope your fellow americans are proud of having a countryman like you.....

I have the backbone to tell you, that a common (maybe prejudice?) thought in Europe is that americans are not very intelligent. Something I couldn't get confirmed from my many travels in USA

But visiting this forum it's very easy to get this confirmed....I guess a few people can give the whole lot a bad reputation..

Steffen, who has the backbone to post offending posts not being anonymous!!

PS Unless you tasted Caperdonich 1972, Brora 1972, Old Ardbegs and the likes I wouldn't badmouth scottish whiskies,,,

Clavius
03-14-2012, 21:15
I love bourbon. But I also love Islay Single Malts just as much. As for the other single malts from the highlands, speyside, etc. they all taste the same imho. But I sure love those from Islay! Laphroaig and Ardbeg especially!

Kalessin
03-19-2012, 12:22
Because I was just at a "clean out the swill" party. Some friends of mine were gagging on some truly awful blended scotches and homemade brandy, but nobody thought the last of a bottle of something named "Pikesville Rye" was worth their attention... :lol:

I like scotch quite a bit, but I have a whole world of bourbon that I was neglecting that now needs exploring... :)

sob0728
03-19-2012, 12:45
I hope your fellow americans are proud of having a countryman like you.....

I have the backbone to tell you, that a common (maybe prejudice?) thought in Europe is that americans are not very intelligent. Something I couldn't get confirmed from my many travels in USA

But visiting this forum it's very easy to get this confirmed....I guess a few people can give the whole lot a bad reputation..

Steffen, who has the backbone to post offending posts not being anonymous!!

PS Unless you tasted Caperdonich 1972, Brora 1972, Old Ardbegs and the likes I wouldn't badmouth scottish whiskies,,,

Oh, come on. Europeans are soft and you know it! :grin:

Toni Kukoc. Dirk Nowitzki. Tony Parker. Ricky Rubio. Kirilenko. Gasol. Muresan. Smits. Divac the flopper. Darko Milicic. The list goes on and on.

TomH
03-19-2012, 13:43

Color is not a good criteria to judge scotch on since SWA does allow the use of E150 Caramel coloring. Unless you know the bottling is E150 free, a brown color is meaningless.

As far as my answer to this question, I started drinking bourbon in 2004 after many years of strictly scotch when I discovered G T Stagg which then lead me to the rest of the BTAC line and Pappy which at time were fantastic values compared to the scotches I was buying. As these bottlings have increased so dramatically in price (and difficulty in obtaining) I find myself buying more scotch than bourbon these days (especially when I can get Lagavullin 16 for around $50. As far as my drinking habits, I generally follow a strict 50/50 routine...if I drink scotch one evening, the next evening I pour bourbon/rye (with an occasional deviation for a rum or tequila night). If pressed to give up one, I would probably keep my scotch, but since there is no need to make unreal decisions, I'm very happy to enjoy all types of whisky/whiskey.

deathevocation
03-20-2012, 03:41
I like them both. Preferred Scotch is Islay style.

troyce
03-25-2012, 15:40
Price, quality , taste.

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-25-2012, 17:56
My name "whisky to whiskey" is about me changing from scotch to bourbon. I like sweet strong vanilla notes primarily in my whiskey. I also like the balance of rye spice. It is priced better for what you get than scotch too.

jeanraulmitchell
03-25-2012, 18:11
This question is obviously begging for a fight...

I just can't afford to drink really good scotch so it's hard for me to make an honest opinion. So far, in my experiences of drinking whisk(e)y, I prefer bourbon probably because I have been able to get really great bourbons at good prices, BTAC, Pappy, some older Stitzel Weller things and samples of cask strength that I've been lucky enough to try that are not on the market. I'm still buying single malts, single grains and for that matter cognacs, Armagnacs, calvados and rums too.

Now I'll take an equivalent year and proof springbank offering over a wild turkey of the same. I'm more excited about kilchoman than high west but I'd eBay Stitzel Weller before a Brora.

Not sure what all that means but I'd say I buy 4-1 bourbon to all other dark liquors but at a bar with limited selections I'll probably drink a standard bottling of scotch rather than a bourbon.