PDA

View Full Version : Flight 107

JayMonster
03-14-2012, 10:08
OK, for tasting, I have done "Wheat Flights", "Beam Flights", "4 Year Flights", and few others.

I am now working on "Flight 107" which as I am sure you have figured out is a tasting of 107 Proof Bourbon.

On the docket is (in no particular order)

Bakers 7/107
Old Weller Antique NAS/107
Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107
Kentucky Bourbon Pure Kentucky 12/107

I thought about putting Wild Turkey Rare Breed figuring it to be "close enough" to 107, but I will probably save that for my "Barrel Roll" Tasting next month.

Anything else I am missing to throw on this flight? How would you line it up?

StraightNoChaser
03-14-2012, 10:08
Pappy 15 is 107 proof

JayMonster
03-14-2012, 10:53
Pappy 15 is 107 proof

Sadly, I have yet to see a bottle of Pappy 15 in NJ (Did recently find a 20 that I have stashed away for the future, but that is about it).

trumpstylz
03-22-2012, 12:24
The costco stuff is 107.

Halifax
03-22-2012, 12:49
Here's one...

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/goshen270/ETL107sm.jpg

Josh
03-22-2012, 12:57
Here's one...

Ah, the infamous BUB.

JayMonster
03-22-2012, 14:59
Halifax - Haven't seen ETL around here, will have to dig around a bit and see if anybody in NJ has it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Josh - BUB?

Phil T
03-22-2012, 15:05
Ah, the infamous BUB.

Forgive my ignorance. What is the infamous BUB?

c2walker
03-22-2012, 15:38
Halifax - Haven't seen ETL around here, will have to dig around a bit and see if anybody in NJ has it. Thanks for the suggestions.

ETL is now 90 proof. You're going to spend a long time searching for a bottle like the one in the photo posted by Halifax!

c2walker
03-22-2012, 15:40
Forgive my ignorance. What is the infamous BUB?

BUB = Butt Ugly Bottle

soad
03-22-2012, 16:02
Is there any reason (beyond copycatting) why there is an inordinate amount of 107 proof bourbons??

cas
03-22-2012, 16:51
BUB = Butt Ugly Bottle

Sort of an inside joke that comes up whenever somebody finds one of those on the shelf somewhere. Maybe we should post a guide to our acronyms (a GTA?).
Craig

JayMonster
03-22-2012, 19:04
Sort of an inside joke that comes up whenever somebody finds one of those on the shelf somewhere. Maybe we should post a guide to our acronyms (a GTA?).
Craig

I swear I looked up and diwn that list 100 times and glanced over that every time.

JayMonster
03-22-2012, 20:21
Is there any reason (beyond copycatting) why there is an inordinate amount of 107 proof bourbons??

I don't know if 5 bourbons (not counting Costco which is just a private label) qualifies as an inordinate number.

That being said, I have wondered myself why certain numbers seem to be standard. (except for Wild Turkey which always goes 1 higher). OK, 80 makes sense because it is as low as you can go. But why then 86, 90,100, 107? Are they significant for some reason, or do all the distillers just fall in line with each other?

sutton
03-23-2012, 05:25
But why then 86, 90,100, 107? Are they significant for some reason, or do all the distillers just fall in line with each other?

Good question - Tradition? Does something "special" happen between whiskey and water at these proofs? Even more bizarre is 86.6 - Angel's Envy, Evan Williams SB ... not 86, not 87, but 86.6 ...

sob0728
03-23-2012, 08:03
I don't know if 5 bourbons (not counting Costco which is just a private label) qualifies as an inordinate number.

That being said, I have wondered myself why certain numbers seem to be standard. (except for Wild Turkey which always goes 1 higher). OK, 80 makes sense because it is as low as you can go. But why then 86, 90,100, 107? Are they significant for some reason, or do all the distillers just fall in line with each other?

Costco is 103, not 107.

JayMonster
03-23-2012, 08:47
Costco is 103, not 107.

I don't know personally, since I do not shop at Costco, but was simply going by what Trumpstylz said earlier in the thread... that it was 107.

sob0728
03-23-2012, 09:44
I don't know personally, since I do not shop at Costco, but was simply going by what Trumpstylz said earlier in the thread... that it was 107.

I wasn't trying to take a shot or anything. I was just correcting it in the thread.

JayMonster
03-23-2012, 12:18
I wasn't trying to take a shot or anything. I was just correcting it in the thread.

No worries, didn't take it as a shot, just explaining where i got my info. Thanks for the correction.

Gillman
03-23-2012, 15:47
There has been some discussion of this over the years.

114 is one of the proofs for Old Gran-dad. Before U.S. proof was established in the 1800's, the system followed Sykes proof, the British system (now superseded in Britain). Under Sykes proof, 100 proof is 57% ABV (or I think 57.1%). That is 114 proof in the U.S. system. So I believe 114 U.S. proof was an echo of the old English system, I doubt this was a matter of coincidence.

Because 50% ABV was and is 100 proof for the U.S. and 50 is 7 points down from 57, I believe someone came up with 107 by a kind of parallel thinking.

As for 86, it is almost exactly 20% less than Sykes proof, just as 80% is 20% less than 100 proof.

Not sure about 90 proof and it may fit no schema, just as 103, say, likely doesn't and various numbers seem all over the map. But I think there must be a definite connection between 114 U.S. proof and Sykes proof, with some of the numbers first mentioned above being derived indirectly from them.

Gary

soad
03-23-2012, 15:57
There has been some discussion of this over the years.

114 is one of the proofs for Old Gran-dad. Before U.S. proof was established in the 1800's, the system followed Sykes proof, the British system (now superseded in Britain). Under Sykes proof, 100 proof is 57% ABV (or I think 57.1%). That is 114 proof in the U.S. system. So I believe 114 U.S. proof was an echo of the old English system, I doubt this was a matter of coincidence.

Because 50% ABV was and is 100 proof for the U.S. and 50 is 7 points down from 57, I believe someone came up with 107 by a kind of parallel thinking.

As for 86, it is almost exactly 20% less than Sykes proof, just as 80% is 20% less than 100 proof.

Not sure about 90 proof and it may fit no schema, just as 103, say, likely doesn't and various numbers seem all over the map. But I think there must be a definite connection between 114 U.S. proof and Sykes proof, with some of the numbers first mentioned above being derived indirectly from them.

Gary

Thank you for this!!!

JayMonster
04-14-2012, 12:48
Well, it took longer to get here than originally expected sue to conflictng schedules and OWA being on back order at my local haunt, but tonight we go through flight 107. I thought it might be fun to see if the board could pick out the winner and/or orser of preference.

The contestants :

OWA
Pure Kentucky XO
Bakers
ORVW

The Judges

No. 1 - Scotch Drinker, Single Malt, mostly Islay

No. 2 - Believes the bourbon world begins and ends with Wild Turkey 101

No. 3 - Usually a Red Wine kinda gal, has taken a curiosity with bourbon

No. 4 - Me - Used to thonk I was purely a wheater guy, but now find I can appreciate anything that isn't OGD, Woodford Reserve or Evan Williams.

So now, like they used to have on This Week in Baseball, it is time for "You make the call. " Who will like what, and will there be a clear cut victor that the group will pick as the best of the bunch?

I will post the results tomorrow.

Edit: Somehow when I posted this intially I left off the final bourbon contenstant. Updated to add the ORVW (10/107 of course)

soad
04-14-2012, 13:10
Well, it took longer to get here than originally expected sue to conflictng schedules and OWA being on back order at my local haunt, but tonight we go through flight 107. I thought it might be fun to see if the board could pick out the winner and/or orser of preference.

The contestants :

OWA
Pure Kentucky XO
Bakers

The Judges

No. 1 - Scotch Drinker, Single Malt, mostly Islay

No. 2 - Believes the bourbon world begins and ends with Wild Turkey 101

No. 3 - Usually a Red Wine kinda gal, has taken a curiosity with bourbon

No. 4 - Me - Used to thonk I was purely a wheater guy, but now find I can appreciate anything that isn't OGD, Woodford Reserve or Evan Williams.

So now, like they used to have on This Week in Baseball, it is time for "You make the call. " Who will like what, and will there be a clear cut victor that the group will pick as the best of the bunch?

I will post the results tomorrow.

Bet you will not have a hard time picking the OWA out of the line-up. I think the Red Wine Gal will like it the best too. The WT101 guy will probably find the Bakers the most familiar. Not sure about those silly Scotch drinkers.:grin:

jersey12
04-14-2012, 13:15
I'm going to go out a a limb and say that you're going to pick OWA considering you just bought a case! I've never had Pure Kentucky but look forward to seeing the results. Sounds like a nice Saturday night.

JayMonster
04-14-2012, 13:30
I goofed and left off the 4th contestant... the ORVW 10/107. I have updated accordingly.

JayMonster
04-15-2012, 13:12
So the voting is done, and there were (for me) a few surprise.

We did this simply, 4 points for first through 1 point for last.

Baker's garnered 15 points taking 3 first and 1 second place.

Pure Kentucky XO - snuck in second at 10 points with 1 first place and 3 third place finishes.

OWA fell just short of that and wound up with 9 points via 2 seconds, a 3rd and a 4th place ranking.

And ORVW pulled up the rear with just 6 points by garnering a single 2nd and three 4th place finishes.

The judges votes in order

1 - The Scotch Drinker

Baker's
ORVW
Pure Kentucky XO
OWA

2 - The Wild Turkey Drinker

Pure Kentucky XO
Baker's
OWA
ORVW

3 - The Red Wine Drinker

Baker's
OWA
Pure Kentucky XO
ORVW

4 - Me

Baker's
OWA
Pure Kentucky XO
ORVW

jersey12
04-15-2012, 14:56
Very interesting to see the ORVW coming in last considering all the trouble to get it while Bakers came out on top and can easily be found at almost any liquor store.

JayMonster
04-15-2012, 15:20
As I said, there were some surprises.

It is interesting what happens when you blind yourself from the labels.

The ORVW got dinged by just about everybody for being too hot.

I don't know how much stock you can put in how difficult ORVW is compared with Baker's. After all, Beam makes a LOT more, and overall wouldn't be surprised if they actually SOLD more Baker's than ORVW is bottled to begin with.

Another thing that surprised me about myself though... was that I have always considered myself more of a wheater drinker, and while I have known that has been melting down lately, I didn't realize just how much, and fully expected to pick out the OWA and ORVW over Baker's and Pure Kentucky XO.

To be honest, at least for me, it was all very close, and they were put in order for order's sake, but just because one was ranked lower than another doesn't mean any of them were bad.

soad
04-15-2012, 16:25
As I said, there were some surprises.

It is interesting what happens when you blind yourself from the labels.

The ORVW got dinged by just about everybody for being too hot.

I don't know how much stock you can put in how difficult ORVW is compared with Baker's. After all, Beam makes a LOT more, and overall wouldn't be surprised if they actually SOLD more Baker's than ORVW is bottled to begin with.

Another thing that surprised me about myself though... was that I have always considered myself more of a wheater drinker, and while I have known that has been melting down lately, I didn't realize just how much, and fully expected to pick out the OWA and ORVW over Baker's and Pure Kentucky XO.

To be honest, at least for me, it was all very close, and they were put in order for order's sake, but just because one was ranked lower than another doesn't mean any of them were bad.

How long have the OWA and ORVW bottles been open? I know this has been discussed before, but the wheaters get much better with some air. I didn't like (borderline hated) my first bottle of ORWV until it was open for about 3 months, then it got REAL good.

bad_scientist
04-15-2012, 16:51
How long have the OWA and ORVW bottles been open? I know this has been discussed before, but the wheaters get much better with some air. I didn't like (borderline hated) my first bottle of ORWV until it was open for about 3 months, then it got REAL good.

I was going to write the exact same thing. I don't think it's fair to judge a wheater just after opening because they can be kind of crappy for the first couple of weeks or months.

I'm still not sure how I feel about my ORVW, though. It did indeed open up a lot, and I got fooled in a blind tasting into thinking it was the new PVW15, but it *is* hot to me, even after 6 months of air time. The other BT wheaters (though this might be Bernheim) don't have this heat.

JayMonster
04-15-2012, 18:15
Baker's and OWA were newly opened bottles. Pure Kentucky XO was open about a week, and tje ORVW was opened in January.

Kyjd75
04-16-2012, 04:31
So the voting is done, and there were (for me) a few surprise.

We did this simply, 4 points for first through 1 point for last.

Baker's garnered 15 points taking 3 first and 1 second place.

Baker's is one of the most under-appreciated bourbons on the market. I have made an effort to try just about very bourbon I have been able to find over the past couple of years, and Baker's continues to be one of the best. Throw out the Beam "prejudices" and you will find a very fine bourbon in Baker's.

JayMonster
04-16-2012, 06:41
Baker's is one of the most under-appreciated bourbons on the market.

I find this to be true for much of the Beam "Small Batch Collection" (The sole exception being Basil Hayden)

p_elliott
04-16-2012, 07:39
Baker's is my least favorite of the SmB collection. Last bottle I bought I swore was going to be the last bottle I bought.

JayMonster
04-17-2012, 18:53
Baker's is my least favorite of the SmB collection. Last bottle I bought I swore was going to be the last bottle I bought.

The Wild Turkey drinker on my panel didn't particularly like it either. He only rated second because he disliked the wheaters more. In his opinion, only the Pure Kentucky could hold a candle to his beloved WT101.