PDA

View Full Version : what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phil T
03-16-2012, 14:54
Ahhh..its the end of the work week, its 75 in O H I O, the birds are chirping, March Madness is in full swing, and there's a tornado ripping through my Glencairn ..All is right in this world.

Oh $hit, I need to check my eBay auction to see if my PVW 15 sold for $250..:slappin:

callmeox
03-16-2012, 14:59
You're early. The first full day of Spring is next week.

Phil T
03-16-2012, 15:04
You're early. The first full day of Spring is next week.

Mid to high 70's, middle of March, in Ahia and the grass needs cut. Spring came early

BFerguson
03-16-2012, 15:59
Mid to high 70's, middle of March, in Ahia and the grass needs cut. Spring came early

I'd tend to agree, mid 70's in MN already, you bet it's spring!! I'll take it! :cool:

B

Special Reserve
03-16-2012, 16:07
Well not yet spring.

There is a new phenomena now know as tornadoes in winter. How is that anyhow?

Fpst
03-16-2012, 16:26
I'd say its spring here in Colorado too. Mid seventies for the past couple of weeks. Things are starting to turn green. I guess this globe is warming?

sailor22
03-16-2012, 18:04
The thermometer read 91 on the back porch yesterday. Spring is over and Summer is here.

Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.

LarryG
03-16-2012, 18:05
Is this thread about the weather, or bourbon? ;)

Old Grand Dad BIB.

kyrocklover
03-16-2012, 18:46
In honor of Justified, I am having Elmer T Lee.

jtexaslonestar
03-16-2012, 19:06
FR1B current release.

hectic1
03-16-2012, 19:28
The thermometer read 91 on the back porch yesterday. Spring is over and Summer is here.

Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.
Doesn't surprise me that at 91 outside you prefered bottles that were lower proof.

clingman71
03-16-2012, 20:28
Strange how some nights your palate is just off. Poured a small pour each of Kahn's EC12 and SB Blend. The nose of the EC was spice, with cherry lingering in the background. A second, deeper nosing reveals more of the fruit with eucalytus and mint now as well. I'm not picking up any vanilla, caramel, or wood on the nose. Then I taste and am overwhelmed with wood, too much wood. Strange, I've never felt of EC12 as being too woody, just my palate tonight.

Then on to the SB Blend. Still getting cherry on the nose, but not as pronounced as with the EC. Again, a strange lack of vanilla, brown sugar, etc. I drink it and am happy to not have the crazy wood like the EC, but it is still just "off". I had a small pour of this earlier this week and it was a beautiful combination of sweet brown sugar and spice, cherry/dark fruit-but less than tonight, adding to the complexity vs dominating, rich mouthfeel with a nice long finish, balance of bold flavor and smoothness of age, just right. Hard to explain, they both just taste different than they usually do, and neither for the better.

Drinking Irish tomorrow, hopefully Sunday will bring with it a refreshed bourbon palate.

drunk
03-16-2012, 20:50
BT, OWA, now some Pappy 15 with a nice Cuban. MIght hit up some FR1B next. Gotta love June weather in March. :)

BFerguson
03-16-2012, 21:04
Binny's ETL for the night. Looking forward to a restful weekend.

B

BMartin42
03-16-2012, 21:07
In order of preference for the evening

GTS 2011
Col. EH Taylor Sour Mash
Ritt BIB
WRDO
Ezra B SB 12

Fpst
03-16-2012, 23:30

Sounds like any expensive (and wonderful) night! :bigeyes:

Is this thread about the weather, or bourbon? ;)

Both! They go hand in hand. Anytime you've got weather, its a good time for bourbon. :cool:

In honor of Justified, I am having Elmer T Lee.

YES! Justified! Best show on TV at the moment? (I thought it was interesting last week when the band in the beginning was singing about Jack + Coke when its set in Kentucky... I haven't spent much time in either state but I assumed their was a great deal of pride about their respective whiskeys)

Oh, and tonight I'm enjoying the last of my 1792. Good stuff.

luther.r
03-17-2012, 00:22
Staying at a cabin with 9 good friends. We're drinking FR OESO, BMH, and Pappy 15. Very nice evening.

BillP
03-17-2012, 05:23
Opened a Weller 12 yr last night. Good start to the weekend!

SirBlend12
03-17-2012, 12:49
Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.

sailor22
03-17-2012, 18:44
Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.

It does seem that Bourbon is usually richer, deeper, sweeter and more complex when it follows a pour of Scotch doesn't it?

jtexaslonestar
03-17-2012, 19:39
Finishing a FR1B pour then moving to the JPS17 with a la aroma de cuba

atfree
03-17-2012, 20:13
Just cracked open my first ever Pappy, PVW 20, to celebrate a great Kentucky game tonight. This is some smooth bourbon.

Ejmharris
03-18-2012, 20:29
Great cookout with neighbors tonight. He likes the dark side stuff but has to mix bourbon normally. Poured him a SB Vat, Taylor Tornado and Ritt BIB all neat. Now I need to lock cabinets when he comes over.

mosugoji64
03-18-2012, 21:22
FRSB and ERSB. Variety is truly the spice of life. :grin:

cbus
03-18-2012, 22:08
It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

Restaurant man
03-18-2012, 22:40
Just cracked a 1.75 old charter 10 year Louisville bottling from 1995. Solid but am hoping for a little more as it opens up. Anyone very familiar with this bottle?

clingman71
03-19-2012, 15:37
It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

How's the OYO? Ive seen it at Weiland's, but couldn't pull the trigger without any word on how it tastes? How old is it supposed to be?

AaronWF
03-19-2012, 16:57
I'm suckling from the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!

bad_scientist
03-19-2012, 17:32
I also have one bottled in '95, and I also got a weird, unpleasant aftertaste at first. It's been open now for a few weeks and it's improved tremendously. The next weird taste to appear was a bit of burnt rubber, but that also disappeared and now it's all thick, chewy mouthfeel and deep brown sugar with a bit of spice.

I'm suckling on the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!

jtexaslonestar
03-19-2012, 18:30
Beautiful evening in the n. Ga mtns. Sippin' on my EWSB '00 with a Short Story in hand.

Bourbon Boiler
03-19-2012, 19:45
Just some WT 101 tonight. Not a special pour or evening, but I am enjoying it.

callmeox
03-19-2012, 20:18
Still not Spring yet...

Just saying. :grin:

JayMonster
03-19-2012, 20:20
Still not Spring yet...

Just saying. :grin:

Tell that mo my cherry tree which has blossomed a month early, and my lawn which has decided it needs a trim much earlier this year. :bigeyes:

callmeox
03-19-2012, 20:25
Tell that mo my cherry tree which has blossomed a month early, and my lawn which has decided it needs a trim much earlier this year. :bigeyes:

Done.

Not sure my neighbor to the east appreciated he shouting directed his way, though. :smiley_acbt:

smokinjoe
03-19-2012, 20:32
Done.

Not sure my neighbor to the east appreciated he shouting directed his way, though. :smiley_acbt:

After the ruckus in your garage on Sunday, I'm not sure he was too surprised. :D

callmeox
03-19-2012, 20:35
After the ruckus in your garage on Sunday, I'm not sure he was too surprised. :D

What's that, Joe??

smokinjoe
03-19-2012, 20:39
:D Blinded, too??

Clavius
03-19-2012, 21:08
PVW15... just because.

sailor22
03-20-2012, 07:01
Wild Turkey 86.8, ORVW 10/107 and a healthy pour of Vintage 23 Rye to finish the night. A very pleasant evening.

Kyjd75
03-20-2012, 20:11
ORVW 10/107. This could be my favorite of them all.

TheDude
03-20-2012, 20:20
ORVW 10/107. This could be my favorite of them all.

You know, after finding and trying all of the Van Winkles I have to agree with you on the ORVW 10/107. I know its not S-W, but damn it is just some fine bourbon. I think the fact that its priced reasonably (when I cna find it) means I don't have any anxiety about drinking it regularly when I have it on hand.

My favorite Pappy is the 15 year, and I think the 10/107 reminds a little more of it that the 20 or 23. Glad you are enjoying it!

BFerguson
03-20-2012, 20:34
After a still so-so pour of the BTEC Rice, I moved on to some FRSB OESV. It's been another that enjoyed, but it was missing something. Water.

Light splash has really made it much more enjoyable, took the initial bite off, much more velvety, and makes me look forward to the rest of the bottle that much more.

Don't know why i waited this long to try it cut down just a bit, makes a world of difference.

B

c2walker
03-20-2012, 20:37
I opened a bottle of Weller 12 that I picked up on a recent trip to KY and had high hopes. I found it to be extremely bitter and utterly unenjoyable so I decided to compare it to my last few drops of ORVW 10/90...and it too was extremely bitter. So the problem is with my taste buds, not the bourbon. Just an off night I guess. Maybe something I ate? I'm drinking milk now :cry:

hectic1
03-20-2012, 20:38
ER 10/101 from Frankfort in the glass...it's a shame what BT did to this bourbon by cutting it to 90pr...:(

atfree
03-20-2012, 20:45
My first pour of PVW 15 tonight. WOW!!! I never knew it would be this good. My first sip blew me away.

drunk
03-20-2012, 20:53
My first pour of PVW 15 tonight. WOW!!! I never knew it would be this good. My first sip blew me away.

Ah yes. I'll never forget my first time. Best glass of bourbon I've ever had. :grin:

jtexaslonestar
03-20-2012, 20:59
ER 10/101 from Frankfort in the glass...it's a shame what BT did to this bourbon by cutting it to 90pr...:(

i have some ER 10/90 as the "house" bourbon and had a pour earlier and I was thinking how great it would be to have it at 101, and I have never had it at that proof!

Clavius
03-20-2012, 21:08
2011 WLW... quite possibly my favorite bourbon! It's just so rich and syrupy. Only other thing I've tasted that was along the same lines was a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel awhile back.

JayMonster
03-20-2012, 21:11
Does anybody else ever just plow through a certain bottle, more because you want to be done with it than it being "all that"?

That is my current state with the Jim Beam Black 7/90.

It is not bad. But it certainly wouldn't be what I would call my "go to" bottle, yet I seem to be reaching for it as much as my OWA lately, just so I can reclaim that spot for another bottle of something else... even if it is just the current Jim Beam Black instead.

sob0728
03-20-2012, 21:15
Does anybody else ever just plow through a certain bottle, more because you want to be done with it than it being "all that"?

It is not bad. But it certainly wouldn't be what I would call my "go to" bottle, yet I seem to be reaching for it as much as my OWA lately, just so I can reclaim that spot for another bottle of something else... even if it is just the current Jim Beam Black instead.

Oh yeah. All the time. I only have room for 8 bottles in my liquor cabinet so if I get one I don't like I just start hammering it down. Right now I have a liter of Knob Creek I am trying get rid of and a Bulleit Rye on its last legs. Everyone who steps through my front door is immediately offered a whiskey/ginger ale these days.

clingman71
03-21-2012, 20:16
70's Old Taylor, 80 proof. I like it, but it lacks richness and mouthfeel compared to the 86 proof.

Tico
03-21-2012, 20:25
A big pour of VWFR Rye 13 in my Glencairn..... Life is good! :grin:

mosugoji64
03-22-2012, 20:25
Some SB blend hit all the right spots. Followed that up with OWA CnB barrel #54. Hope they don't jack up their OWA SB prices. Their selections are very tasty.

Lazer
03-22-2012, 21:10

This is what we call a "drinking problem". :lol:

sailor22
03-23-2012, 09:32
Last night I started with Taylor Tornado. Later in the evening I poured another Taylor Tornado. For a nightcap I considered my options and decided on the Taylor Tornado. DFJ - Damn Fine Juice.

smokinjoe
03-23-2012, 15:56
Dickel No 12 after an absolutely monster week. I love the "vitaminy" house profile of this whiskey. I would think that Dickel would be a good intro to Scotch drinkers who are looking to begin exploring American Whiskies for the first time.

I love Dickel 12 for the same reason I love Woodford...Both are so distinct in their flavor profiles.

cbus
03-23-2012, 16:03
How's the OYO? Ive seen it at Weiland's, but couldn't pull the trigger without any word on how it tastes? How old is it supposed to be?

I enjoy it. If you've ever had their vodka, it is reminiscent of that, but in a good way. It is very smooth and has a nice, but kind of odd, finish, which my dad describes as "slippery." I like the flavor, but you also have to take it for what it is, which is a young, 100% wheat whiskey. It does have a steep price point, but knowing I support a local business by buying it helps with that. They don't make very much of it, though.

Ejmharris
03-23-2012, 18:18
SB vat tonight. Last couple if pours have been all alcohol recently. Back to what I have loved tonight. Sweet carmel and brown sugar tonight!

jtexaslonestar
03-23-2012, 19:30
I am enjoying my first VBT #374. Going up as soon as this posts!! and then I am cracking the RBCS!

callmeox
03-23-2012, 19:40
Thrilled with a great "burnt corner of the brownie pan" pour of OGD 114.

Joe the Wise nailed it with the description.

BillP
03-23-2012, 20:24
Enjoying some hard to find Rittenhouse Rye.

clingman71
03-23-2012, 20:54
TPS BT Wheat on Rye II. Second pour of this, first was a bad experience, poor cigar/bourbon combination. Better the second time around, but not exactly what I expected. I'm hoping it grows on me with some air in the bottle.

tigerlam92
03-23-2012, 22:30
just opened a wlw 117 and sipping on it.

cheers
Hugh

mosugoji64
03-23-2012, 23:05
Bonded Old Forester from DSP KY 354. When first opened, this bottle was much too rummy for me (I'm not a big rum fan). That has subsided and more rye has come forward. There's also a subtle vanilla sugar/frosting note on the finish that floats just below the spice. It's intriguing. I think this is much more interesting than current OF.

bigtoys
03-25-2012, 13:03
ready for the new season of Mad Men with 4R sm b and my roly poly glass
saw a preview with a 4R bottle in Peggy's desk, thus the choice
won't be smoking, however

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0554.jpg

c2walker
03-25-2012, 13:54
I was able to compare my open bottle of A. Bowman 18 to GTS last night thanks to a very generous SB member. I've heard that they're the same recipe and of course they're similar ages and proofs...unsurprisingly there were a lot of similarities. I tried to post my notes last night, but was unable due to the server issues and unfortunately don't remember too many details. I only added a few drops of water, bringing both to approximately 120 proof. I tried Stagg watered down a bit more in a blind taste test a month ago and was not as impressed with it as I had been in a previous blind test at barrel proof, hence the lack of dilution this time around. I picked up a lot of leather and tobacco from both and a lot of grape on the finish of the Bowman. I felt that the Stagg was a bit more refined, but I can't say I'd pick one over the other. Both were fantastic.

fishnbowljoe
03-26-2012, 17:36
Busy, but decent day at work today. I actually put in a couple hours of OT. :skep: Having a pour of ND Old Taylor before supper. After supper.......?

Enoch
03-26-2012, 18:02
Decided to break out a bottle of 1980 Maker's Mark.

jtexaslonestar
03-26-2012, 19:59
Sippin' on a little FR1B tonight and then headed to bed. Next 3 days are gonna be busy!

mosugoji64
03-26-2012, 20:30
ETL, EW1783, and Jim Forester blend. ETL was the winner tonight. I picked up a bounty of flavors that hadn't previously revealed themselves. Time spent breathing really benefited this bottle.

BFerguson
03-26-2012, 20:46
Vintage 17 tonight. Second night open, liking it quite a bit. I'm thinking some time in the bottle with a little air will real open it up. Just need to keep away from it to allow that to happen.

Need to grab some more as I can, this is a worthy one to stash away.

B

AaronWF
03-26-2012, 21:06
Finally ripping in to a bottle of CEHT Tornado. I like this stuff. Man, I like it. Perilously drinkable for 100pf (where have I heard that before?), and there are some delightful Cracker Jack notes seducing me on the finish. Unlike the other Taylors, this one is drinking beautifully right from the pop of the cork. I wonder if this from the 9yo or 11yo crop?

Either way, ER10 is screwed.

dohidied
03-27-2012, 16:57
I've had a wheater flight this afternoon. Started with ORVW 10/90 which I find simple, but sweet and beautiful. Then onto some PVW 23 which was as woody as ever, but quite satisfying. Next, a tiny sip of SB Blend just to check. And now I'm finishing with WSR7. A thoroughly enjoyable mid-shelfer that I mourn for its loss of innocence and age statement.

70's Old Taylor, 80 proof. I like it, but it lacks richness and mouthfeel compared to the 86 proof.
Oh crap, I'd better open one of those before I buy any more.

clingman71
03-27-2012, 20:34
JPS 17 batch 5, really hitting the right notes tonight.

JayMonster
03-27-2012, 21:14
After a harrowing day at the office, decided to calm my nerves with some WTRB, only to discover that thanks to my allergies I can't smell or taste all that well. :smiley_acbt:

so, now I figured is a good time to work on polishing off that JBB 7/90 while watching NCIS.

BroInBourbonMD
03-28-2012, 19:30
I have been working on a bottle of CEHT Tornado. We have been helping with actual tornado cleanup in northern Kentucky each of the past 3 weekends and it just seemed fitting to be also working on a bottle of Tornado bourbon.

One old man who had his entire house blown away who we have been helping, I noticed he had a half finished bottle of Old Crow on his work bench last weekend. The old man is hilarious and I think he would appreciate a bottle of Tornado Surviving bourbon. He has already nicknamed his grandson "twister" because he was born during the storm so I don't think I'm at risk of this being an inappropriate gift.

Clavius
03-29-2012, 21:51
Enjoying some John J. Bowman Single Barrel. Honestly, I did not care for this when I originally opened it several months ago. And, as a result, I'm starting to buy into the theory that with some air and time bourbons can "open up". At the moment I really like this John J. Bowman!

mosugoji64
03-29-2012, 22:02
I have been working on a bottle of CEHT Tornado. We have been helping with actual tornado cleanup in northern Kentucky each of the past 3 weekends and it just seemed fitting to be also working on a bottle of Tornado bourbon.

One old man who had his entire house blown away who we have been helping, I noticed he had a half finished bottle of Old Crow on his work bench last weekend. The old man is hilarious and I think he would appreciate a bottle of Tornado Surviving bourbon. He has already nicknamed his grandson "twister" because he was born during the storm so I don't think I'm at risk of this being an inappropriate gift.

That's a great idea. Be sure to let us know his reaction.

I've enjoyed some SB Blend followed by Ritt BIB tonight. Sad to think that this glass may be among the last of the SB Blend if OWA and Weller 12 bite the dust.

Tico
03-30-2012, 06:51
Had two good size pour of JPS 18 batch 14 at a buddies house last night. Not my first run in with the JPS 18 but definitely my best so far, great stuff!

c2walker
03-30-2012, 15:38
I'm celebrating so every bottle I hesitate reaching for on a normal night is fair game today. I started with small pours of PHC wheated and PVW 15. For the moment I've switch to beer (Sculpin IPA), but on deck is Abraham Bowman 18. If I'm still standing I intend on finishing the night with some rye: THH, Saz 18, and VWFRR. I need to celebrate more often!

smokinjoe
03-30-2012, 15:55
I'm celebrating so every bottle I hesitate reaching for on a normal night is fair game today. I started with small pours of PHC wheated and PVW 15. For the moment I've switch to beer (Sculpin IPA), but on deck is Abraham Bowman 18. If I'm still standing I intend on finishing the night with some rye: THH, Saz 18, and VWFRR. I need to celebrate more often!

Well, dang good for you! :toast: I'm going with WT Tribute, in tribute to whatever you're celebrating about. :D
Cheers!

c2walker
03-30-2012, 15:58
Well, dang good for you! :toast: I'm going with WT Tribute, in tribute to whatever you're celebrating about. :D
Cheers!

Tribute is certainly worthy of this celebration (or maybe it's the other way around)! Cheers to you, sir! :toast:

clingman71
03-30-2012, 18:03

Starting strong, love both of those wheaters. Ballast Point makes Damn fine IPAs, they just recently hit Ohio so all the good beer bars have had them on tap of late.

smokinjoe
03-30-2012, 20:34
Not tonight, but this week while on biz in Chicago, I really, Really, enjoyed a couple of pours of JB Devil's Cut at a restaurant we ate at. I liked the bottle that I had some months ago, but didn't remember it being as good as what I experienced this week. I will have to go get another.

clingman71
03-30-2012, 20:44
Enjoying? Not so much. I had a pour of CnB BT 39 that seemed strangely herbal/funky tonight.

George
03-31-2012, 14:34
Enjoying a nice pour of EC 12.

Steve99
03-31-2012, 15:25
Enjoying a nice pour of Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star. What a great value bourbon. Seems to have a little bit of everything some sweetness, some wood (but not too much), and a little bit of spice. Finish is enjoyable as well. It's one of the few bottom (mid?) shelfers that I like everytime I pour it, even when I stack it up against some top-shelfers. Ultimately the top-shelf may be preferred, but AAA10 always keep me coming back. Makes me curious what the 10-year old age-stated used to taste like.

c2walker
03-31-2012, 15:34
Makes me curious what the 10-year old age-stated used to taste like.

You can still get the 10 year (in Kentucky for sure). Definitely worth a try.

Halifax
03-31-2012, 15:49
^^ ^ Very interesting... I polished off my last bottle of AAA 10 year last night. Lots of caramel for sure... A damn fine value poor. I will be replenishing the stocks when I am in KY for the Sampler.

jburlowski
03-31-2012, 16:22
^^ ^ Very interesting... I polished off my last bottle of AAA 10 year last night. Lots of caramel for sure... A damn fine value poor. I will be replenishing the stocks when I am in KY for the Sampler.

Get the current private barrel from TPS. Sensational pour!

jtexaslonestar
03-31-2012, 17:04
I visited a buddy and had the good fortune of having a few quality pours: PVW20(current release and first time for me), Hirsch 25 year (looks like cola and is very good), BMH 16yr, and I tried the WR New cask and aged cask (not bad, but not going to pay the price it). It was a successful visit.:cool:

Josh
03-31-2012, 18:06
I just finished a HH White Label/Rittenhouse BiB manhattan. Guess who I'm rooting for in the first Final 4 game?:lol:

Vosgar
03-31-2012, 20:31
[I polished off my last bottle of AAA 10 year last night. Lots of caramel for sure... A damn fine value poor. I will be replenishing the stocks when I am in KY for the Sampler.[/quote]

For whatever reason, got the urge for AAA 10yr yesterday and opened one tonight. A little thinner than I remembered, but the flavor and finish are still working for me. I too will be buying some more to bring home while at the Sampler.

Gary

birdman1099
03-31-2012, 20:34
[I polished off my last bottle of AAA 10 year last night. Lots of caramel for sure... A damn fine value poor. I will be replenishing the stocks when I am in KY for the Sampler.

For whatever reason, got the urge for AAA 10yr yesterday and opened one tonight. A little thinner than I remembered, but the flavor and finish are still working for me. I too will be buying some more to bring home while at the Sampler.

Gary[/quote]

Hey Gary,
I have always found the AAA as thin but with great flavor,,,

clingman71
03-31-2012, 20:43
WSR7-SB blend - Old Fitz Prime mini 86 proof
A wheater tasting flight

WSR sweet and smooth
SB blend more spice, some wood
OFP needed some time to open up, a bit harsh at first, smoothed out nicely after 15-20 min, very woody, would love to know the age

mosugoji64
03-31-2012, 22:02
Hey, looks like we all had the same thing in mind - enjoyed some AAA 10yr earlier! It had been a while, so I felt it was time to revisit the bottle. Followed by Kahn's EC12 and VSOF. While I agree that the AAA is a bit thin, the flavor is fantastic. Picking up another bottle would definitely be a good idea!

Clavius
03-31-2012, 22:28
I'm loving this John J. Bowman Single Barrel that I bought a few months ago. I bought it from Liquor Barn here in Lexington. Honestly, the only reason I bought it was because I was blown away that they had it. I had been under the impression that it was only available in Virginia. I think it cost me about $50, so it wasn't cheap. Initially I did not care for it at all. But I went back to it the other night and I am really starting to believe that a bottle of whiskey can "open up" in a similar fashion to wine because the stuff is GREAT right now. Honestly, one of the better bourbons I've had in awhile. I will be sad when it is gone as I likely will not see it around these parts again.

JayMonster
03-31-2012, 22:31
Started the afternoon with a pour of WTRB while assembling a greenhouse for the wife. JBB served as the backbone of a Manhattan with dinner. An ERSB based Old fashioned made for a pleasant after dinner drink. And finally a Knob Creek Single Barrel

sob0728
03-31-2012, 23:53
Lot B won a blind tasting tonight. May have to go pick up a bottle for the beginnings of a bunker.

luther.r
04-01-2012, 00:16
Lot B won a blind tasting tonight. May have to go pick up a bottle for the beginnings of a bunker.

What else was in the tasting?

sob0728
04-01-2012, 06:22
What else was in the tasting?

I posted it over in the tasting section but it was EC12, PVW15, EC18, JeffRsv, WLW2011, ER17, PHC Wheat, ETL, EWSB2000, Blanton's, 4RSB, BT, ORVW 10/90, Basil Hayden, and one other I can't recall.

Halifax
04-01-2012, 07:59

Will do!

... Picking up another bottle would definitely be a good idea!

Another bottle? I was thinking more like a case! :grin:

T Comp
04-01-2012, 08:51
Another month has come and gone so why not...a horizontal tasting of my most recent acquisitions: Red Stag Black Cherry, Red Stag Honey Tea and Red Stag Spiced. I think I can give the edge to the Honey Tea...but before I buy another I really got to wait to see what Hansell, Cowdery and Murray score it first. Oh and Josh too.

ILLfarmboy
04-01-2012, 14:59
A healthy pour of Dickel 12.........I grilled/smoked some beef short ribs over an oak wood fire and am finishing them up by simmering the electric skillet with BBQ sauce and a splash of Dickel.....

JayMonster
04-01-2012, 21:09
Did a little side by side of Knob Creek and KCSB. I don't know if it is just the higher proof, the fact that the single barrel is not chill filtered, or I just got a really good barrel. But the single barrel is so much better than the regular expression, it seems almost like a crime what they do to the regular expression.

clingman71
04-01-2012, 21:26
CnB Weller 12 #6 tonight watching Mad Men.

ACDetroit
04-01-2012, 22:20
Had the pleasure of meeting wripvanwinkle (Eric) from Colorado yesterday as well as his dad. They stopped by and we had a few pours from the bunker.

Started the day off with some Blue Wax Hirsch, Eagle Rare 101, Early 80's 8yr Old Grad Dad BIB, Saz 18 2004 as well as a few others.

It was nice to put a name with a face, Eric is a great guy as well as his dad. Who has now invited me over to sample some dusties and such at his place!

Great day

Cheers!

mosugoji64
04-01-2012, 22:27
ETL CnB #18, OWA CnB #54, and AAA 10yr. The ETL has opened up so well that I'm going to miss it when it's gone. As with AAA, it's rather thin, but the flavor is just so damned good.

LostBottle
04-01-2012, 22:29
Started the day off with some Blue Wax Hirsch, Eagle Rare 101, Early 80's 8yr Old Grad Dad BIB, Saz 18 2004 as well as a few others.

Blue wax Hirsch? Pre-tanked Saz? I think you need to invite the whole forum over for a few pours:lol:

hectic1
04-02-2012, 10:29
Had the pleasure of meeting wripvanwinkle (Eric) from Colorado yesterday as well as his dad. They stopped by and we had a few pours from the bunker.

It was nice to put a name with a face, Eric is a great guy as well as his dad. Who has now invited me over to sample some dusties and such at his place!

Great day

Cheers!

T-bag...I'm coming in town next week...same place as always for drinks? ;)

unclebunk
04-02-2012, 10:35
JTS Brown BIB while 'cueing up some ribs on the deck. Very nice!

TradingBoiler
04-02-2012, 11:13
JTS Brown BIB while 'cueing up some ribs on the deck. Very nice!

Hank I've been hearing more suggestions from a couple bourbon friends and on SB about this bottling. Can you offer any tasting insights as I believe this is a HH distillate and bottling? Thanks

Bigspur2011
04-02-2012, 17:17
Pappy 15 the new release, getting ready for the game tonight.

White Dog
04-02-2012, 18:00
Due to recent threads I'm having some Vintage 17 while cleaning out the kids' fish tank. Quite good. (The Vintage 17, that is.)

jtexaslonestar
04-02-2012, 18:04
I have a PVW 15 poured and ready to enjoy a Short Story on a beautiful N. Georgia Mtn evening.:bandit:

beerfactory
04-02-2012, 18:12
I'll be pouring OWA and Rittenhouse BIB during the KU game this evening.

atfree
04-02-2012, 19:15
A healthy pour of Pappy 23 in preparation for bringing the banner home to KY tonight!

wmpevans
04-02-2012, 20:34
TPS AAA 10 year private barrel while watching the NCAA final.

[I polished off my last bottle of AAA 10 year last night. Lots of caramel for sure... A damn fine value poor. I will be replenishing the stocks when I am in KY for the Sampler.

Ditto. I'll be looking to get more 10 year at Sampler.

Gary[/quote]

Ditto again. TPS AAA private barrel is a great valuepour. IMHO it's a great pour period, and esp. for a Monday night. :grin:

Bill.

clingman71
04-02-2012, 20:47
A small pour of makers, I've never been a big fan. This is a 375 dipped by a friend a few years ago, about half full. Better than I remember, maybe the air and age has done something. I am a fan of Maker's 46, makes me wonder about vatting the two Maker's. Anyone try this?

A little SB blend for the second half of the game.

jtexaslonestar
04-02-2012, 20:52
Started with the PVW15, put a EC18 next to it...not able to compare due to the brutish presence of the Pappy. So I poured an OWA NAS and it was nice esp. for price but the Pappy is just too expressive. Very informative night of pours!:cool:

Kyjd75
04-02-2012, 21:56
2011GTS in celebration of UK's win over Kansas. Go Cats!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fcl5za

JayMonster
04-02-2012, 22:26
Eagle Rare 10. Not as bad as when I first opened it...but still rather unimpressed. Very little oak for something that sat in a barrel for 10 years. Not bad mind you, but nothing exciting either.

Josh
04-03-2012, 17:49
My "cooking supper bourbon" tonight was Redemption High Rye- Irredeemable, even in the French Toast batter.

Followed up with a glass of what a real bottom-shelfer should taste like: Heaven Hill White Label BiB, 6 y/o. Man, the only thing better than that in the same price range is VOB BiB.

TROOF

smokinjoe
04-03-2012, 18:31
My "cooking supper bourbon" tonight was Redemption High Rye- Irredeemable, even in the French Toast batter.

Followed up with a glass of what a real bottom-shelfer should taste like: Heaven Hill White Label BiB, 6 y/o. Man, the only thing better than that in the same price range is VOB BiB.

TROOF

I'm with you on that, Josh. The HH BIB and VOB BIB are very, very, good whiskies. Considering their price points, they're nothing less than astounding.
:toast:

Sippin' on a little HH White Label meself.

Tucker
04-03-2012, 18:34
Relaxing with a pour of PHC cognac after taking the day off from work to pick up our new show horse and transfer him to the barn.

smokinjoe
04-03-2012, 18:38
Relaxing with a pour of PHC cognac after taking the day off from work to pick up our new show horse and transfer him to the barn.

A new horsey!!!! Doug, can you bring him to the next GBS meeting?!?!?! We could have a new mascot! :D

Tucker
04-03-2012, 18:50
A new horsey!!!! Doug, can you bring him to the next GBS meeting?!?!?! We could have a new mascot! :D

I'll bring the old paint (he's got more personality). Don't forget I'm already set to bring my pen and watch collections. Got to make sure there's room enough in the truck for all this stuff AND my bourbon.

boneuphtoner
04-03-2012, 19:47
A couple of very generous pours of EC12. For several months I had this tied with ETL as my favorite bourbon, but I think EC12 with my palate right now seems to be pulling away.

Ejmharris
04-03-2012, 20:10
A couple of very generous pours of EC12. For several months I had this tied with ETL as my favorite bourbon, but I think EC12 with my palate right now seems to be pulling away.

I enjoyed a little EC12 myself tonight. That is not always a true statement for me.

mosugoji64
04-03-2012, 22:42
Some EC18 and HH BIB Gold Label. Having these back to back leads me to believe they might make for a good vatting. :yum:

Clavius
04-03-2012, 23:07
Don't mean to derail the thread, but what is the difference between the HH BIB Gold Label and the BIB White Label?? I've never had either. But if you guys are comparing them to VOB BIB then I may have to give them a try.

unclebunk
04-04-2012, 04:56
Hank I've been hearing more suggestions from a couple bourbon friends and on SB about this bottling. Can you offer any tasting insights as I believe this is a HH distillate and bottling? Thanks

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to offer up much in the way of tasting notes on the JTS Brown BIB, as we were also slamming beers all afternoon while smoking the meats, as well as eating some roasted jalapeno poppers. What I can say is that the BIB is reasonably priced at around $19 or so at the South Loop Binny's and better than I had anticipated, with more body and flavor (sweet and spice especially on the back end) than many budget BIB's that I've tried. Pick up a bottle and give it a whirl!

Brisko
04-04-2012, 07:39
Don't mean to derail the thread, but what is the difference between the HH BIB Gold Label and the BIB White Label?? I've never had either. But if you guys are comparing them to VOB BIB then I may have to give them a try.

White label is 6 years old, Gold is 4. I've never had the white but the gold is decent enough--not VOB, but good. Pretty corny with the typical HH grassy mint.

mosugoji64
04-04-2012, 09:34
White label is 6 years old, Gold is 4. I've never had the white but the gold is decent enough--not VOB, but good. Pretty corny with the typical HH grassy mint.

Both are very good. The White Label tends to be a little more subdued, while the Gold Label is more bold. Someone mentioned that the more recent bottles of Gold are more corny and I agree. I just opened a new bottle recently and it doesn't have the tobacco and leather notes I noticed in the past, but still very good especially for the price. Either would be a good choice.

Flyfish
04-04-2012, 11:14
I'm replacing the old carpet in the dormer with some laminate flooring. Getting the boards to snap together was challenging at first. They seemed to require lubrication to fit together properly. Lubricant of choice: WT 101.
Floor looks very nice. Or is that just the lubricant talking?

Tico
04-04-2012, 16:58
Enjoyed 4 minis of WT 101 on a flight from Boston to Phoenix. Helped me get through the 5 hour flight!

smokinjoe
04-04-2012, 18:49
Thunderboomers rollin' through the area, and the rains pounding down. Sittin' back watchin' the fireworks with some VG Fox, while the Sheltie is hidin' in the closet...:o

kyrocklover
04-04-2012, 19:04
I am enjoying a pour of Elmer T Lee.

luther.r
04-04-2012, 19:33
I just did a side-by side tasting with:
-OF BIB 1981 S-W
-VOF 1952/1960
-Pappy 15 2009

The '81 BIB actually almost keeps up with the VOF. The wood on the Pappy is very apparent next to these two. They're all spectacular.

Of course, the VOF's cork disintegrated on opening. I had to dig most of it out.

Young Blacksmith
04-04-2012, 20:28
Not necessarily enjoying, but I had a 50ml JB white last night and tonight I tried the 50ml JBB. Neither was liked by me, I could taste the yeasty funk, similar to KC.

Now some VOB 86. Much better IMHO.

clingman71
04-04-2012, 20:39
ORVW 10/107, old faithful, fantastic bourbon.

T Comp
04-04-2012, 20:59
Cracked open my first and just bought Sazerac bottled Barton BIB as I had a few of the older Constellation Brands in the bunker to empty first. Wow what happened to the bananas...which is a good thing. So when is the age statement getting dropped on this one :grin:.

mosugoji64
04-04-2012, 22:39
Bernheim Wheat and Vintage 17. All of the talk here lately got my mouth watering! :grin:

spinningrecords
04-04-2012, 22:49
BMH 21-year. Tasty but not quite as outstanding as the 16-year.

JayMonster
04-05-2012, 05:14
Opted for the regular Knob Creek last night. Wish they had the 50 ml bottles around here, so I could take them with me in my travels considering I have about 6 hours (round trip) of train travel time ahead of me today.

Flyfish
04-05-2012, 07:02
Thunderboomers rollin' through the area, and the rains pounding down. Sittin' back watchin' the fireworks with some VG Fox, while the Sheltie is hidin' in the closet...:o

Do you have some tasting notes for the VG Fox? I know it is a "value pour" finished in Fredricksburg, VA after being started by BT. Other than price, what are its redeeming virtues?

Josh
04-05-2012, 13:45
So when is the age statement getting dropped on this one :grin:.

Don't give them any ideas!!!:hot:

Ahem...anyway, enjoying some CnB OWA barrel #49 on the rocks, eating Better Made Rainbow chips while watching the Tigers Opening day.

EAT EM UP TIGERS

BFerguson
04-05-2012, 20:53
Vintage 17 followed by some Binny's ETL. This was a really outstanding order combination tonight. The ETL seemed to be amped up more than usual by the first pass of the Vinatage.

B

mosugoji64
04-05-2012, 20:56
Polished off my bottle of M46 tonight. Got some wonderful buttered cinnamon and honey notes off of this. I know I should buy another bottle of this, but whenever I think about throwing down the $35-$45 one would cost I come up with several other bottles I would rather buy. I just don't get it. Is it too easy to find?

clingman71
04-05-2012, 22:03
Polished off my bottle of M46 tonight. Got some wonderful buttered cinnamon and honey notes off of this. I know I should buy another bottle of this, but whenever I think about throwing down the $35-$45 one would cost I come up with several other bottles I would rather buy. I just don't get it. Is it too easy to find?

I keep coming back to the price. At $28-30(ETL range) I'd regularly purchase it. $37 here, a bit steep.

Tico
04-05-2012, 22:20
Started with some VWFRR then onto my trusty 50/50 of OWA & Weller 12

Good Friday tmw, market is closed, weekend starts now!

JayMonster
04-05-2012, 22:23
Originally was going to open the new Pure Kentucky I picked up. Decided to save that for tomorrow. Tonight, after a long day, seemed like as good a time as any to reach for the ORVW 10/107 which hanging out in chat.

White Dog
04-06-2012, 20:32
Having FC side-by-side with EC12 just for kicks. Re-discovering my inner HH, which was my first Bourbon love.

Clavius
04-06-2012, 20:35
PVW15

Not a special occasion or anything. I just looked at it and thought, hell with it, the stuff is made to be drunk so I'm having some tonight. Others may let it sit on the shelf forever and ever. But not me!

BFerguson
04-06-2012, 20:58
While prepping dinner it was a small pour of the cask strength Redbreast 12yr. Hadn't made a visit to that side in quite a while, initial results are pleasant enough.

Now it's the let pour out of a EC 18yr. It took some time to get there, but it's turned out to be a solid bottle. It has the type of old wood taste that is a joy to savor over some time.

B

clingman71
04-06-2012, 21:31
Long week, desperately needed weekend. Lot B, Tornado, TPS AAA, and a Damn nice Padilla.

Luna56
04-06-2012, 21:59
Stroke of midnight two minutes away. It's a Booker's night.

Cheers!!

Flyfish
04-07-2012, 14:46
This afternoon, EC 12 and EC 18 side-by-side. Got the EC 18 in Nov. after tasting it at Heaven Hill. Was blown away there but disappointed with the bottle I bought at the Party Source. I guess you have to expect some variation in single barrels. Now that I am half way through the bottle, it seems to be getting better. Some licorice, honey, caramel, and citrus. A little too much acetone on the nose. (My wife thought the 18 was higher proof than the 12. Not so: 90 v 94.) On the QPR, I still prefer to have two bottles of 12 rather than one of 18.

AaronWF
04-07-2012, 22:00
This afternoon, EC 12 and EC 18 side-by-side. Got the EC 18 in Nov. after tasting it at Heaven Hill. Was blown away there but disappointed with the bottle I bought at the Party Source. I guess you have to expect some variation in single barrels.

Expect variation ESPECIALLY in the EC18. I pray to the bourbon holies that it stays 1B, despite wild variations in taste quality, because I've had EC18's that were some of the best bourbons I've tasted.

Tonight I had some FR1B from the second bottle I have gifted this weekend. I then returned home and proceeded with some THH Rye from '09, Dickel Barrel Select and now I'm sipping on some Tornado. My palate's a bit whacked tonight, unfortunately. I blame 5 hours of interrupted sleep and ongoing recovery from Cubs opening day. Everything is tasting good, I'm just missing some of the subtleties I usually enjoy.

Young Blacksmith
04-07-2012, 22:01
Started this morning after breakfast with an EH Taylor Sour Mash mini pour.

This afternoon I tore into a dusty Tom Moore BIB from '93. Very nice bourbon!

jtexaslonestar
04-07-2012, 22:52
Sipping on the EC18 and then cracked open a PVW20 tonight. Very good bourbon!:grin:

mosugoji64
04-07-2012, 23:04
A little SB blend deliciousness after work is hitting the spot. :grin:

sob0728
04-07-2012, 23:07
was at another SB member's (Max Power) house tonight and had a lot of small (10ml) pours but OFBB 2011 and WTRB were the best of the bunch. The others we tasted were Weller 12, WR, Hirsch SmBatch, and Bulleit. The Bulleit was a hell of a value at $18.99.

We also had a bunch of super premium tequilas which were damn good and finished off the night with a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or.

'Twas a good night.

hectic1
04-08-2012, 08:42
I hit two different pre-fire HH barrel strength 18yr bottles last night selected by DougDog...they are barrel numbers 8550 and 8551 dumped on the same date and bottled on the same date. It's amazing that they sat next to each other in the rickhouse for 18yrs and produced two entirely different bourbons. One is very sweet with lots of caramel and vanilla and one is very dry with a nutty profile to it. Both of these bottles came in around the 117-118pr range making them VERY drinkable at barrel proof. Now I just have to see if I can con Doug into parting with a couple more of these gems! :skep:

JayMonster
04-08-2012, 14:54
Started out with a short pour of Pure Kentucky XO, moved on to a Maker's 46 Old Fashioned while prepping food. A Rare Breed Manhattan will get me through the Antipasto, the evening is yet TBD.

AaronWF
04-08-2012, 16:26
Just opened a Binny's OBSK, and it's superb. At 122pf, it's a fighter, but it's deliciously drinkable at full proof. It has a sweet, corny buttermilk thing going on, with a little green leaf mint on the back end. It carries a spicy punch, but the melted caramel is very persuasive.

I believe it's in the 9-10 yo range, and it contrasts quite a bit with the 12yo OBSK 120th Ann 1B. The one I have is 116pf and it's stiff. It's only been open a week or two, and I have found that the older 4R stuff takes at least a few weeks of contact with air to open up, but compared to the just-opened 9-10yo 1B of the same recipe, the 12yo is quite wooden.

BigRich
04-08-2012, 18:11
I finished the last of my 4R 2011 LE Single Barrel last night.

clingman71
04-08-2012, 18:19
A small pour of '10 WLW for the end of another spectacular Masters.

c2walker
04-08-2012, 18:22
I'm settling down for the night with a generous pour of the small batch (138.6 proof) A. Bowman 18 year bourbon. I can't get enough of this stuff. I'm going to be very sad when I put this bottle to rest (which at the rate I'm reaching for it will be quite soon).

cbus
04-09-2012, 00:44
Had some Old Pogue with my dad tonight... amid various other libations. Good bourbon. On the sweeter side, but nothing spectacular.

mosugoji64
04-09-2012, 21:03
Had some EW BIB followed by Old Ezra 101. The two are very similar, though the EW shows its youth with a little more corn flavor. Good to know if I can't get to the deep(er) South when the EW runs out!

JayMonster
04-09-2012, 21:33
Some nights, I just want something simple. This is one of those nights, and Eagle Rare 10 fits the bill.

Josh
04-10-2012, 19:22
Finished off my bottle of HH White Label BiB :cry: but now enjoying some 4R Single Barrel 2011 edition. :grin: vita bona est.

T Comp
04-10-2012, 21:31
The 4R Jim Rutledge picked and Shoppers Vineyard bottled OESV followed by a single barrel OWA...don't get much better than tonight's pours!

jeanraulmitchell
04-10-2012, 22:58
Haven't opened this ORVW 107 since Xmas...it's like Santa arrived.

Trey Manthey
04-10-2012, 23:09
Taylor Tornado Surviving!

Nice nose, spicy, and burns the tongue just enough to keep me interested. Perfect for a late night nip while churning out code.

Tico
04-11-2012, 22:46
Started with a pour of WLW 10' then onto a 50/50 of OWA NAS & Weller 12. Night cap was a good sized pour of 2011 Saz 18.

It was a good night!

cigarnv
04-12-2012, 03:28
Willett 16YO... Gonono bottling that is IMO one of the best Willett's.... killer good even at cask strength..

soad
04-12-2012, 17:27
Had some EW BIB followed by Old Ezra 101. The two are very similar, though the EW shows its youth with a little more corn flavor. Good to know if I can't get to the deep(er) South when the EW runs out!

I'm looking forward to doing a tasting of these soon, along with Virgin 101. I have some open bottles I need to get rid of first before I open those, that's why I'm sipping on some ORVW 10/107 and some super super super yummy Mellow Corn.

jtexaslonestar
04-12-2012, 19:12
OWA tonight just enjoying a nice April evening. Then maybe a Kentucky vintage nas to finish it off.

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 19:24
I'm looking forward to doing a tasting of these soon, along with Virgin 101. I have some open bottles I need to get rid of first before I open those, that's why I'm sipping on some ORVW 10/107 and some super super super yummy Mellow Corn.

I think you're going to like the Virgin 101 if you like Old Ezra 101. Pretty sure they are the same whiskies. On your next trip Down South, you need to get to Alabama, and git yerself somma that Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey. MC is 4 years, and DD is 3 years. I like the DD much, much, better. Interestingly enough, the DD is definitely darker in color; and seems older, richer, fuller, and more...s'fisticated than the MC. Even though it's younger. Dirt cheap, too.

I think I just talked myself into a pour of it. :D

Gillman
04-12-2012, 20:10
Not bourbon technically (I know) but Jack Daniels Silver Select, one ounce with a teaspoon of Italian (happened to be in the fridge) spring water. It turned a chewy but flavorful whiskey into a sweeter, softer whiskey with a silky texture and wine-like taste. Really. It's probably about 85 proof, maybe 80. The singularities of the single barrels and especially for some reason Silver Select even though it's said to be from the same runs, are very evident, some of it is very Kentucky bourbon-like.

Gary

JayMonster
04-12-2012, 20:56
Bowling night usually means Devil's Cut and tonight was no different. Except I was left with just a short pour after having used more than I realized on vatting experiments. So that gave me reason to go back for a pour of Pure Kentucky XO, which either has gotten better over the past week, or my palate is just more sensitive and in tune with the spice and wood it puts forth.

kyrocklover
04-12-2012, 20:57
Elmer T Lee. This pour has really hit the spot tonight.

jtexaslonestar
04-12-2012, 21:02
OWA tonight just enjoying a nice April evening. Then maybe a Kentucky vintage nas to finish it off.

Changed my mind....opened up Balcones True Blue Corn Whiskey and really enjoyed it!

Clavius
04-12-2012, 21:21
Enjoying the last of my 2011 WLW. Quite a bit of barrel char in this last pour but it still tastes amazing.

Stormeh
04-12-2012, 21:47
Baby Saz tonight. First time trying it and it's really tasty! Lives up to the hype for sure.

tigerlam92
04-12-2012, 22:16
PVW23 and WLW 117

Cheers
Hugh

soad
04-13-2012, 04:39
I think you're going to like the Virgin 101 if you like Old Ezra 101. Pretty sure they are the same whiskies. On your next trip Down South, you need to get to Alabama, and git yerself somma that Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey. MC is 4 years, and DD is 3 years. I like the DD much, much, better. Interestingly enough, the DD is definitely darker in color; and seems older, richer, fuller, and more...s'fisticated than the MC. Even though it's younger. Dirt cheap, too.

I think I just talked myself into a pour of it. :D

I never make it as far south as Alabama....but heck, you just talked me into it. :grin:

Brisko
04-13-2012, 05:29
Put Booker's up against KCSB last night. Despite their similar pedigrees, big differences. Booker's won in just about every category.

cigarnv
04-13-2012, 06:08
Four Roses 120Th ..... quite a bit of variation between barrels but all are excellent with a few being stellar!!

hectic1
04-13-2012, 07:30
Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose I had a couple pours of ETL 15yr...I don't hit this bottle very often and it's a good thing as there aren't very many of this bottles around. It's hands down my favorite bottling of ETL that I've had. There is a caramel sweetness that transitions very nicely to a bit of vanilla spice. :cool:

DaveOfAtl
04-13-2012, 07:34
Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose . . .

Just had to throw that in, didn't you? :hot: People aren't exactly Hawks crazy down here. Seems like we're always decent and never really good. D. Rose is a special player. By the way, the ETL 15 sounds incredible.

hectic1
04-13-2012, 07:58
Just had to throw that in, didn't you? :hot: People aren't exactly Hawks crazy down here. Seems like we're always decent and never really good. D. Rose is a special player. By the way, the ETL 15 sounds incredible.
Yeah I was more talking about the Blackhawks of the NHL...we all know that people aren't exactly hockey crazy either seeing as your team up and moved last year. :shocked:

The ETL 15yr SB is a killer bourbon...it has a tremendous amount of complexity and flavor for a 90pr bottling.

cigarnv
04-13-2012, 08:22
Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose I had a couple pours of ETL 15yr...I don't hit this bottle very often and it's a good thing as there aren't very many of this bottles around. It's hands down my favorite bottling of ETL that I've had. There is a caramel sweetness that transitions very nicely to a bit of vanilla spice. :cool:

Agree 100% with you Bob on the ETL 15YO ...... could be the toughest bottle of ETL to find ... not even sure where one would look other than the 'bay...

DaveOfAtl
04-13-2012, 08:53
Yeah I was more talking about the Blackhawks of the NHL...we all know that people aren't exactly hockey crazy either seeing as your team up and moved last year. :shocked:

The ETL 15yr SB is a killer bourbon...it has a tremendous amount of complexity and flavor for a 90pr bottling.

Ah, forgive me . . . wrong Hawks. Frankly, I was surprised we had a hockey team to begin with. Not a lot of interest with most southerners. I'll keep a look out for a chance to try that ETL 15 SB.

Clavius
04-13-2012, 18:43
Starting off with some PVW15. Only have about 1/8 of the bottle left... so it may be PVW15 all night! Why not?! :bigeyes:

jersey12
04-13-2012, 19:52
Just had my second Ritt BiB old fashioned. Love the recipe from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks that my wife gave me for Valentine's day last year.

2 tblsp simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 oz of whiskey, stir
A few ice cubes
2-3 more oz of whiskey, stir and enjoy

Since I made it with rye tonight, maybe I should have put this in the rye forum but regardless, this is a great drink. No place for water or club soda in an old fashioned in my opinion.

TrojanAnteater
04-13-2012, 20:35
Just had my second Ritt BiB old fashioned. Love the recipe from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks that my wife gave me for Valentine's day last year.

2 tblsp simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 oz of whiskey, stir
A few ice cubes
2-3 more oz of whiskey, stir and enjoy

Since I made it with rye tonight, maybe I should have put this in the rye forum but regardless, this is a great drink. No place for water or club soda in an old fashioned in my opinion.

Truer words have never been spoken! Also, I hate when there is a whole orange slice or a cherry in there. Even worse when they are both muddled, creating a pulpy mess in the drink. The recipe I've grown up with and have known to love is what you listed, but also with a thin strip of orange rind (valencia orange only) muddled along with the bitters and sugar, and then another rind squeezed over the top to release a mist of its oil as you are about to serve it. Bourbon works fine in it, but Rye is sublime!

BFerguson
04-13-2012, 20:46

I have one of these that I did a past trade for. This makes me want to crack it open, but once I do, that sad feeling hits that once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Not today, but someday soon I think. Elmer certainly is a living legend.

B

hectic1
04-13-2012, 20:47
Having a pour of Willett R/E 17yr 133.2...if there is a much better wheated bourbon on the face of the planet I'd love to try it! :cool:

BFerguson
04-13-2012, 20:54
Started with a bit of Angels Envy, then moved to a similar amount of Willett 4yr Rye.

After a long two days of work, a lovely end to the work week. Just hoping that the phone isn't going to ring in the morning tomorrow morning with a work issue.

B

Max Power
04-13-2012, 21:29
Tried some new ones tonight with a friend:

High West Bourye: Really good. Nice balance.
Noah's Mill: Loved. Like a thicker version of Jefferson 15 year. Really good.
Wathen's: OK. There's better out there for $25.

clingman71
04-13-2012, 22:43
Had some friends over for a birthday get together.

Birthday guy had some VWFRR, others had some Lagavulin, I had a few pours of the Blend. A nice fire, good whiskey, a few cigars, an d old friends, a great night.

JayMonster
04-14-2012, 05:42
Finally after an almost 2 month lapse, I got some OWA today (it had been back ordered almost a month), and couldn't wait to crack one open. I swear it looked darker and oldee than what I jad previously, but tasted a bit younger. I chalked that mostly up to my recollection since I have I have tried so many different things over its absence.

However, it also had that grassy taste on the finish that seems to be the signature on a lot of Buffalo Trace products, and that I know wasn't there on previous bottles I've had. So, now it has me wondering if this os the first batch (I've had), since the 7 year Age Statement came ofd of the WSR, and this is what the result of it actually now getting younger means.

It is still good stuff, and I still like it, and it is still a great bargain for the price, ot is just a little different.

spinningrecords
04-14-2012, 06:53
Pappy 20-year that just came out in '12. Very solid and holds its own with prior years. Sweet, warm and wonderful. Simply a terrific wheater. I'm pleased I could find some bottles for the short time it was on the shelf.

Glenfarclas 17-year which was incredible. Soft, soft, soft on entry with that sherried scotch goodness undulating forever on the palate. This is a Macallan 18-year killer in my book.

deathevocation
04-14-2012, 07:36
No bourbon but Dickel 12.

SMOWK
04-14-2012, 07:43
ETL 90th last night. Just like regular ETL, but with a bit more vanilla. This is one of those bourbons that you find that you really like just as you reach the last quarter of your last bottle.

mosugoji64
04-14-2012, 09:52
ETL 90th last night. Just like regular ETL, but with a bit more vanilla. This is one of those bourbons that you find that you really like just as you reach the last quarter of your last bottle.

I have a CnB bottle of ETL that was just okay until I got about a third of the way through the bottle and then the flavors EXPLODED. It's now a fantastic whiskey and one that I want more of!

clingman71
04-14-2012, 09:57
I have a CnB bottle of ETL that was just okay until I got about a third of the way through the bottle and then the flavors EXPLODED. It's now a fantastic whiskey and one that I want more of!

What # is your CnB ETL?

hectic1
04-14-2012, 18:28
Started the night with a couple small pours of Cabin Still 90pr, DougDog Willett 18yr #8550, and Ezra Brooks 7/90...gonna hit some SB's here soon while watching the Blackhawks tonight! :cool:

mosugoji64
04-14-2012, 22:33
What # is your CnB ETL?

18. Enjoyed some more tonight - man, it's good stuff!

redbear
04-14-2012, 23:54
Had my first WTRB tonight. Really enjoyed it. Dangerously drinkable.

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-15-2012, 04:35
I found a bottle of Blanton's Straight From the Barrel for under 3,500 yen. I think it was miss labeled, but I asked and they told me that was the price, so I bought it.

It is very nice. I think I will have a small pour.

Enoch
04-15-2012, 07:11
Did a flight of 3+ decades of Benchmark:

~1979 86 proof - Louisville
~1990 80 proof - NOLA
~1999 80 proof - Frankfort (McAfee's)
Current 80 proof - Frankfort (McAfee's Old No. 8 Brand)

I'll post my opinion in BOTM but that forum won't allow pics.

Roadsaw
04-15-2012, 22:28
After 15 years without a playoff win, i decided to have a few pours of Pappy 15 yr for the Florida Panthers win tonight.

JayMonster
04-16-2012, 07:47
After watching my NJ Devils lose to a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 15 years, I drowned my sorrows in some KCSB.

AaronWF
04-16-2012, 16:52
I just popped my second PHC wheated. Water to around 110pf and I find bliss. I was down to only two open wheaters: ORVW 10/107 and Weller12. I've been disappointed in the 2011 bottled ORVW. It's been open since last year and has not evolved into as rich a bottle as the last one I had from Spring '11.

But the PHC... it's much revered on this site, and for good reason.

I also opened a bottle of Vintage 21 bourbon late last week. It's indubitably HH juice, and rough around the edges. I like a shot of heavy oak every once in awhile, and this stuff packs it in. Otherwise, it's not very noteworthy.

jtexaslonestar
04-16-2012, 17:48
Just popped open the FR1B I bought today. Really tried to restrain from opening since I have plenty open, but this one is what I felt right about.

c2walker
04-16-2012, 17:52
I just popped my second PHC wheated. Water to around 110pf and I find bliss. I was down to only two open wheaters: ORVW 10/107 and Weller12. I've been disappointed in the 2011 bottled ORVW. It's been open since last year and has not evolved into as rich a bottle as the last one I had from Spring '11.

But the PHC... it's much revered on this site, and for good reason.

I have the opposite problem...I'm down to just one open ryed bourbon and have 7 different open wheaters. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to open up a Taylor Tornado, Willett 11yr (I'm guessing this has a rye mashbill), BTEC 1993, EC 18, or maybe just a Virgin 101.

AaronWF
04-16-2012, 18:50
I have the opposite problem...I'm down to just one open ryed bourbon and have 7 different open wheaters. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to open up a Taylor Tornado, Willett 11yr (I'm guessing this has a rye mashbill), BTEC 1993, EC 18, or maybe just a Virgin 101.

Whoops, I lied, I have a Pappy20 open as well. That makes 16 bourbons, 2 Irish, 3 ryes, 5 scotches and 1 WTF (Oregon WhipperSnapper... wtf?). I try to keep my open bottles below 30, and I have yet to fail in this. I wish I could keep it under 20, but at this point, it ain't going to happen. And, truthfully, I don't even think I can fit 30 bottles in my open liquor cabinet.

This PHC wheater is some divine candy alright. I have a pretty intense sense memory from the first bottle: my wife thought she was going into labor at 3am after we had been to a friend's (and fellow bourbonian's) place for dinner. I had been asleep for maybe two [bourbon-soaked] hours, when she woke me up with the declaration that the time had come.

8 hours later we were back at home on a Sunday morning and the bun was still in the oven. I drank PHC wheated as we watched The Return of the King, and it warmly soothed my lack of sleep and false alarm trauma with a nuzzling charm.

This stuff can't help but bring me back to a lazy, sleep-deprived Sunday morning before our amazing daughter joined us, getting high on a special bourbon and letting the fear of consequences float out the window. It was the perfect juice for the moment, and it remains sublime today.

smokinjoe
04-16-2012, 19:00
A touch of A Smith Bowman Fairfax County BIB. Such delicious whiskey, that it makes me wonder why they quit distilling in the first place.

c2walker
04-16-2012, 19:06
A touch of A Smith Bowman Fairfax County BIB. Such delicious whiskey, that it makes me wonder why they quit distilling in the first place.

Sounds interesting, Joe! I just went looking for more info, but there wasn't much out there and the 3rd hit on google was your post in the Dusty thread. Guess you have something even more unique than I originally thought!

DaveOfAtl
04-16-2012, 19:31

This stuff is incredible. One of the best I had at your house the other night, Joe.

BFerguson
04-16-2012, 20:40
Started the night off with something across the pond, Redbreast CS, then moved on to a bottle that I need to finish, Binny's FRSB OESV. It's something that I've had open for awhile time, and for a couple of weeks it's been languishing at the bar with about two inches left in it. While ok, it just wasn't doing it for me.

Until tonight. Not sure if it was just the time in bottle, or perhaps the combination of the RB before, but man, it is now a transformed pour. It's previous bite is gone, new flavors have popped forward, and a greater sweetness is now present. Finally, it's lived up to the expectations that I had of it. Took way to long, and now there is way too little to really enjoy the rest.

Need to make some empty spaces for some new choices on the bar soon, with a upcoming birthday in the family, not mine, my son, turning three this year, looking forward to opening a couple gems with the family and friends to share.

Enjoy

B

unclebunk
04-17-2012, 07:21
Went with the OWA last night while watching hockey. Man, that stuff sure tasted good. Looking forward to re-visiting it tonight, along with a drop of ORVW 10/107.

Kyjd75
04-17-2012, 09:10
Last night KC in the lounge at the Marriott in Houston at the medical center. Only choices were MM, WR, JBW, and KC. For me, out of that group, KC was the best choice.

Flyfish
04-17-2012, 15:29
Yesterday I had some OGD BIB and 114. Bleh! And these are regular pours that I usually enjoy so I know it was just me or the change in humidity, air pressure, and or temperature. Which got me to thinking about the bloggers who open a bottle they have never tried before and reach a definitive conclusion about the quality of the pour in less than five minutes. Even stuff I love doesn't always taste great. Well, some of it does. This afternoon, my lovely wife brought me a glass of OWA. No disappointment there!

Young Blacksmith
04-17-2012, 19:43
open a bottle they have never tried before and reach a definitive conclusion about the quality of the pour in less than five minutes.

This is why I always give it half a bottle, by then you know without a doubt if it's worth dumping, mixing, or purchasing again. Thanks for bringing this up!

my OFBB has really opened up nicely, but what to have before it is the question I'm having trouble with tonight.

clingman71
04-17-2012, 20:05
This is why I always give it half a bottle, by then you know without a doubt if it's worth dumping, mixing, or purchasing again. Thanks for bringing this up!

my OFBB has really opened up nicely, but what to have before it is the question I'm having trouble with tonight.

Sometimes even more than half. Tonight I poured from a TPS 1792 that I have NOT enjoyed. It is my go to bottle for friends who ask for whiskey without naming anything specific. Well, about a third left and all of a sudden it is pretty good. My knock on it has been spicy with a lack of body, unbalanced. Tonight, rich and full, just enough sweetness up front to accentuate the spice, noticing more wood, but not to much. I hope this is how the bottle finishes.

Roadsaw
04-17-2012, 20:08
Had a pour of Four Roses 1B OBSQ for the Florida Panthers win. Now having some VOB bib watching the Blackhawks.

Max Power
04-17-2012, 21:00
Trying Baker's for the first time tonight. Good stuff.

Clavius
04-17-2012, 21:22
Trying Baker's for the first time tonight. Good stuff.
Very good stuff! One of my favorites.

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 21:52
Appreciating the difference between two Four Roses Single Barrels. They're both the standard editions but show remarkably different characteristics. One (Warehouse: NS, Barrel: 11-64) shows more typical FR characteristics: a floral, cinnamony sweet bourbon with a lengthy, moderately oaked finish. It's a joy to drink. The other (Warehouse: QN, barrel: 37-5H) is much heavier on the piney, dill pickle rye nose, almost like an LDI rye. In fact, tasting it blind, I'd guess it was a 6 year-old straight rye. The finish is a bit shorter too, and slightly more astringent. It's quite good, but I prefer the other bottle.

If anything, it's another lesson in how warehouse placement and barrel selection can produce two vastly different bottles with the same mashbill.

Clavius
04-17-2012, 21:59
I'm having some Buffalo Trace on ice at the moment. Mainly because it and a bottle of PVW20 are the only bourbons I currently have on hand! :bigeyes:

I haven't touched the Trace in awhile but I have to say, for the price, this stuff is damn good. It's just so balanced. This may be my go-to from now on.

JayMonster
04-17-2012, 22:49
Started out with some ER10, ended with some OWA.

AaronWF
04-17-2012, 22:52
Binny's FRSB OESV. It's something that I've had open for awhile time, and for a couple of weeks it's been languishing at the bar with about two inches left in it. While ok, it just wasn't doing it for me.

Until tonight. Not sure if it was just the time in bottle, or perhaps the combination of the RB before, but man, it is now a transformed pour.

Need to make some empty spaces for some new choices on the bar soon, with a upcoming birthday in the family, not mine, my son, turning three this year, looking forward to opening a couple gems with the family and friends to share.

B

Congrats on the boy's third!

Had a pour of Four Roses 1B OBSQ for the Florida Panthers win. Now having some VOB bib watching the Blackhawks.

So far, my two favorite 1B FR recipes are OBSQ and OBSV, both Binny's bottlings. Though I prefer the B to the E mashbill, I did get a remarkable taste of an OESV from a fellow bourbonian; it was sweeter than I prefer, but unquestionably exquisite.

But I'll pick a Binny's B over an E anyday.

Appreciating the difference between two Four Roses Single Barrels. They're both the standard editions but show remarkably different characteristics. One (Warehouse: NS, Barrel: 11-64) shows more typical FR characteristics: a floral, cinnamony sweet bourbon with a lengthy, moderately oaked finish. It's a joy to drink. The other (Warehouse: QN, barrel: 37-5H) is much heavier on the piney, dill pickle rye nose, almost like an LDI rye. In fact, tasting it blind, I'd guess it was a 6 year-old straight rye. The finish is a bit shorter too, and slightly more astringent. It's quite good, but I prefer the other bottle.

To me, your description favors the QN warehouse. I liked the one bottle I drank through so much that I have one at each of my mother's and mother-in-law's. I'll need to take note of the warehouses and try to taste them against each other. Or I could always get another one for my bar...

I started the night with a newly opened bottle of Leopold's American Whiskey. It was immediately reminiscent of Hudson Manhattan Rye and Cedar Ridge Bourbon, both other craft distillers, but it had more depth and I sense a capacity to open up a bit. It's been a good 14 months or so since I drank such a young whiskey, and it displayed the young waxy taste I had associated with smaller aging barrels, so assuming Leopold's ages in 53 gallon barrels, that glazed, waxy taste may indicate something else. I look forward to evaluating the juice as I drink through the bottle.

I moved on to my first bottle of EC12, and I'm really digging it. It has a fruitiness that surprises me, and it's reminiscent of some of my favorite juice: the 5/15/92 EC18 bottled by Binny's. Clearly I got a very good bottle!

And now I'm finishing up with some I.W. Harper BiB '64-'69. It's delicate and quite singular. It's intricate with a loud burn, and can't help but educate; I'm glad I unearthed it!

BarrelChar
04-18-2012, 00:34
To me, your description favors the QN warehouse. I liked the one bottle I drank through so much that I have one at each of my mother's and mother-in-law's. I'll need to take note of the warehouses and try to taste them against each other. Or I could always get another one for my bar...

Is there a thread where members have posted tasting notes on the different Four Roses Single Barrels based on the warehouse location? I couldn't find one. With so many (NS, DS, QN, etc.) I thought it'd be useful for us FR fans.

unclebunk
04-18-2012, 08:49
Had a nice night watching hockey with some friends and knocking off the last of a bottle of OF Signature and some OC 101. Some nights the OFS really hits the spot and last night was one of them.

Tony
04-18-2012, 08:54
Was watching the Wings not do so well last night and enjoying some Four Roses yellow label straight from the bottle, have not done that in years but not bad in a pinch and had no glass that needed washing afterwards.

Best regards, Tony

Young Blacksmith
04-18-2012, 19:31
Tom Moore BIB, such a viscous, rich dark brown for a simple Barton BIB. Much better than the VOB BIB in my opinion.

hectic1
04-18-2012, 19:34
WTRB 1993, Bob's FR Mariage, 1789b FR #1...a damn fine night! ;)

JayMonster
04-18-2012, 20:09
Sitting in a hotel in Indianapolis, after 4 hours worth of delays, I needed something good, but was also with a couple of bourbon noobs, so I passed up some things I wanted, for a variety of things to teach some intro to bourbon lessons.

I did get a bottle of Very Old Barton though, something not available in NJ. Wbile I still don't think it bests OWA as a value pour it was stunningly good considering how cheap it is.

From there we moved to Maker's 46 (which was selected by the the one noob as his favorite bourbon), and now we capped things off with some Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

It was an excellent learning experience for them, and a good way to cap of a rough travel day for me.

hectic1
04-18-2012, 20:15
Sitting in a hotel in Indianapolis, after 4 hours worth of delays, I needed something good, but was also with a couple of bourbon noobs, so I passed up some things I wanted, for a variety of things to teach some intro to bourbon lessons.

I did get a bottle of Very Old Barton though, something not available in NJ. Wbile I still don't think it bests OWA as a value pour it was stunningly good considering how cheap it is.

From there we moved to Maker's 46 (which was selected by the the one noob as his favorite bourbon), and now we capped things off with some Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

It was an excellent learning experience for them, and a good way to cap of a rough travel day for me.
I know the feeling all too well...are you in town for the FDIC show?

theDon
04-18-2012, 20:23
Tom Moore BIB, such a viscous, rich dark brown for a simple Barton BIB. Much better than the VOB BIB in my opinion.

Amen brutha, I bought 3 cases a couple weeks ago. Get it while you still can!

JayMonster
04-18-2012, 20:43
I know the feeling all too well...are you in town for the FDIC show?

Yup, this is our first return to FDIC since I took over management of this company.

Brisko
04-18-2012, 20:48
Having some KCSBM. This bottle has improved drastically after being open for a week.

Kyjd75
04-19-2012, 17:58
I must say that I am really enjoying my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old! Very smooth, great taste. Like an EWSB on steroids!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?r5n0i4

callmeox
04-19-2012, 19:54
I decided to crack open one of my recent dusty finds to do a quality check before I bring it to the Gazebo next week.

The 7 year old Old Charter in the 12 sided glass bottle won the lottery tonight. My best guess is that it is from the mid to late 60's.

Great OC burnt sugar nose, a bit of heat up front and a medium sweet finish.

mosugoji64
04-19-2012, 20:41
A serving of SB Blend followed by VOB BIB turned out to be a very good pairing. Delicious!