PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking? - Spring 2012

Pages : [1] 2

jcg9779
03-20-2012, 08:30
Well the warmer weather is finally here (or almost here, for our friends up North). What are you drinking this Spring?

jcg9779
03-21-2012, 06:21
Last night I reached into the fridge for a Founder's Red Rye PA and when I popped the top and started pouring it into the glass it looked unusually dark. I accidentally poured a Founder's Breakfast Stout and, while it was delicious, it wasn't what I was in the mood for. The Red Rye PA that I poured afterwards was outstanding.

weller_tex
03-21-2012, 18:37
Guiness Draught..gonna get some Shiner (Texas beer) Hefeweizen next week.

Wall Eye
03-22-2012, 05:41
Last night I reached into the fridge for a Founder's Red Rye PA

Had a couple of the Founder's Red Rye PA's on tap last night. Most excellent. I'll have to see if I can find some for the fridge.

AaronWF
03-22-2012, 11:18
This past weekend I had a chance to drink a small snifter of 2010 Bourbon County Stout drawn from a tap. At 13% abv, it was huge and chalky, and the most gooey, sticky-icky beer I have ever had. I think I could have picked the liquid out of the glass with my fingers and it would come out as a giant gob. It was not the easiest thing to drink, but I couldn't resist the rare opportunity and I don't regret it. I was not prepared to pick apart the complexity, but I'll just say it made my head spin.

Followed that up with Zombie Dust. It was the hoppiest beer I've ever had that didn't have that bitter bite most hoppy beers present. I've heard that Three Floyd's is ramping up production and intends to make it their standard brew. More Zombie Dust on the shelves would be an incredibly good thing!

clingman71
03-22-2012, 19:03
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, citrusy hop goodness with a long chewy resiny finish. Mouth puckering hoppiness is right up my alley.

Clavius
03-22-2012, 21:02
Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. This used to be my favorite IPA. But after having Hopslam I think the Dogfish Head is now relegated to second.

clingman71
03-23-2012, 04:22
Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. This used to be my favorite IPA. But after having Hopslam I think the Dogfish Head is now relegated to second.

That is why you differentiate between year round favorite and seasonal favorite. 90 is available 365, Hopslam but for a short time late winter-early spring.

stevegoz
03-23-2012, 13:58
Followed that up with Zombie Dust. It was the hoppiest beer I've ever had that didn't have that bitter bite most hoppy beers present. I've heard that Three Floyd's is ramping up production and intends to make it their standard brew. More Zombie Dust on the shelves would be an incredibly good thing!

It's already happening. A month ago, it was city-only for bottles. Now, it's reaching some suburban stores. And where the two stores (one city, one suburban) that I had been buying it at were limiting sales to two six packs per customer, both have lifted that limit in the past few weeks.

And the best part, for me, is that the wife still much prefers Alpha King to the Dust, so I can buy it with minimal fear that she'll be hitting my stash.

stevegoz
03-23-2012, 14:00
That is why you differentiate between year round favorite and seasonal favorite. 90 is available 365, Hopslam but for a short time late winter-early spring.

This is also a reason that craft beer will always be a niche thing no matter how exciting the projections may get.

Most consumers demand year-round availability of the things that they like.

More for us!

DaveOfAtl
03-23-2012, 17:09
Finishing off a bottle of Unibroue Grande Reserve 17 while watching the Baylor/Xavier game. Really nice -- lots of spice, fruit and oak. Will definitely buy again.

berto
03-24-2012, 19:43
Lost Abbey Carnevale Ale. Crisp with a slightly bitter finish.

unclebunk
03-25-2012, 11:52
Leffe Brune finally made it to the US! I used to drink it often when in France and am glad to see it here now. Leffe Blond is tasty as well but I have many fond memories associated with the Brune, so I'll be stocking up on more soon.

berto
03-25-2012, 13:42
Russian River Consecration. Quite sour but a nice change up.

St. Feuillien Triple. Pretty incredible. Refreshing and citrusy.

birdman1099
03-26-2012, 20:16
Kinda new to the beer game.....

I had a few tonight,

Hoppin Frog Doris
Peche Mortel
KBS
Dragons Milk

All very good Stouts.....

jcg9779
03-27-2012, 08:09
I had a Southern Tier Gemini last night. Pretty good overall, but I don't know that I'd buy another.

bigtoys
03-28-2012, 18:19
Shock Top Lemon Shandy--Belgian style wheat beer with lemonade

good, but not as good as the Shock Top Orange. Not as citrusy, probably 'cuz it's lemonade, not lemon.

AaronWF
03-29-2012, 09:30
I had some Houblon Chouffe on tap last night. I love a good Belgian (or Belgian-style) tripel, and this was all that and a bit more. Golden-yellow in color with light bright, yeasty fruit notes and a moderately malty, slightly bready body. 9% abv never went down so easy; every aspect of the beer is delicate.

I love Allagash's tripel, and the D'Achouffe stuff put it to shame.

I also had some more Zombie Dust. Love that stuff. And I love Hopleaf here in Chicago, no matter how crowded it gets.

weller_tex
03-29-2012, 12:43
Picked up some Shiner Hefeweizen last weekend. Good stuff for humid weather and temps in the 80's.

AaronWF
03-29-2012, 13:58
I don't often drink at lunch on a weekday, but I needed it today. I discovered a spot with a sweet beer selection right near my office, not an easy feat out in the burbs. Apparently, I didn't need to look any further than right across the street!

My bison burger went down smoothly with some Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale and Bell's Two Hearted, both freshly on tap.

clingman71
03-30-2012, 07:01
Split a bomber of FFF Brian Boru with Karen tonight. With FFF's love of hops, it is one of the few red ales I can tolerate, still a bit malty though.

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 17:21
Reissdorf Kölsch/german
Staropramen/czech
Warka/polish

Clavius
03-31-2012, 21:17
Roge Dead Guy. My favorite in celebration of Kentucky advancing to the title game. Not sure what I'll do if they win on Monday night... there may be some champagne involved (but no burning couches)!

Brisko
04-02-2012, 06:59
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye.

I'm not really a beer guy but I find it pretty tasty. In terms of balance I suppose I could use a tad more rye and a tad less hops, but that's really nitpicking.

unclebunk
04-02-2012, 07:13
New Holland's Mad Hatter IPA and Arcadia IPA, both from great brewing state of Michigan. No clear favorite, as both were extremely enjoyable. I'm definitely a fan of Arcadia's beers and recommend them to those who enjoy English-style ales.

ratcheer
04-07-2012, 18:46
I know I am way behind the curve, but I just had my first IPA, Sweetwater from Atlanta. It was very bitter and gave a strong impression of juniper to my nose, and a strong taste of grapefruit. It was not objectionable, but it was very different from anything I've ever had, before.

Tim

clingman71
04-07-2012, 19:08
Green Flash Palate Wrecker, absolute hopbomb!

stevegoz
04-08-2012, 17:15
Firestone Walker's Sucaba (formerly Abacus). Great big bourbon-barrel-aged barleywine. My memory insists that it's on par with Goose Island's King Henry, but I'm not willing to open my last Henry to find out.

Of course, King Henry was a lot better back when we thought that the fact it was aged in PVW23 barrels meant something.... :lol:

AaronWF
04-08-2012, 17:21
Firestone Walker's Sucaba (formerly Abacus). Great big bourbon-barrel-aged barleywine. My memory insists that it's on par with Goose Island's King Henry, but I'm not willing to open my last Henry to find out.

Of course, King Henry was a lot better back when we thought that the fact it was aged in PVW23 barrels meant something.... :lol:

I had a Sucaba the other week. I'm just not a big fan of the barleywine style. I enjoyed my bottle (and cellared another one), but it really was a little one-sided for my taste. I much preferred the Anniversary Ale from FW, which I guess contained some of the Sucaba, among other beers.

bad_scientist
04-08-2012, 17:44
Green Flash Palate Wrecker, absolute hopbomb!

Heck yeah! It also has this grassy note that reminds me of playing on my grandma's farm when I was a kid.

stevegoz
04-09-2012, 09:52
I had a Sucaba the other week. I'm just not a big fan of the barleywine style. I enjoyed my bottle (and cellared another one), but it really was a little one-sided for my taste. I much preferred the Anniversary Ale from FW, which I guess contained some of the Sucaba, among other beers.

I can take or leave standard barleywines (much prefer imperial stouts), and don't keep many on hand. Prefer English to American, as I'm not a huge hophead. But the handful of barrel-aged barleywines of either type that I've had have left me in a happy state.

I really like the Central Waters barrel-aged offering, and at $12 a four pack it's a great value and a nice way to enjoy a solo pour without negating the next four hours of neural activity. I have one from Uinta called Cockeyed Cooper that I need to try one of these eves.

FW XV is great. I know a place out my way that still has a few if you're looking. I look forward to trying FW's BBA stout, Parabola, when it comes out sometime in the next month or so.

dean_martin
04-09-2012, 09:56
I know I am way behind the curve, but I just had my first IPA, Sweetwater from Atlanta. It was very bitter and gave a strong impression of juniper to my nose, and a strong taste of grapefruit. It was not objectionable, but it was very different from anything I've ever had, before.

Tim

Just for kicks try a west coast IPA. I think Stone is in Ala now. (I'm used to running across the state line for my brews and whiskey.) Look for Stone IPA. For a nice contrast to Stone try Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA.

Stone IPA is probably a good example of a west coast hop bomb. (Stone has hoppier beers but most come in 22oz bottles which aren't allowed in AL yet - BUT, if Stone Ruination is available in 12oz bottles now, I'd suggest it over the regular IPA.) The Dogfish Head (from Delaware) is a little maltier and makes for a good comparison of different takes on the same style.

unclebunk
04-09-2012, 10:10
Central Waters IPA and a slew of New Glarus beers, sadly none of which are available here in Illinois. Thankfully, my cousins in Wisconsin continue to mule me all the New Glarus I need!:cool:

stevegoz
04-09-2012, 11:08
Central Waters IPA and a slew of New Glarus beers, sadly none of which are available here in Illinois. Thankfully, my cousins in Wisconsin continue to mule me all the New Glarus I need!:cool:

I'm headed up across the border in a few weeks to hunt down mass quantities of the New Glarus IIPA for the wife. Truly an outstanding beer, and only available for a few months.

smokinjoe
04-11-2012, 15:28
Founders Porter while I relax after a busy day, and a day with the roofers pounding away while we have the roof redone. I think this is my favorite Porter of those that I've tried. Did a Porter Showdown last weekend with the porter offerings from Founders, Great Lakes, Sweetwater, Bell's, and Sierra Nevada. Founders was far and away the creamiest, biggest, and flavorful of the 5. The Great Lakes, Sweetwater and Bell's were pretty much equal, with each having various "better" characteristics. And, surprisingly (since I love many of their beers) the Sierra Nevada was a very distant last place. Just nothing compared to the others.

Now, it's time for whiskey.

jcg9779
04-11-2012, 15:51
Founders Porter while I relax after a busy day, and a day with the roofers pounding away while we have the roof redone. I think this is my favorite Porter of those that I've tried. Did a Porter Showdown last weekend with the porter offerings from Founders, Great Lakes, Sweetwater, Bell's, and Sierra Nevada. Founders was far and away the creamiest, biggest, and flavorful of the 5. The Great Lakes, Sweetwater and Bell's were pretty much equal, with each having various "better" characteristics. And, surprisingly (since I love many of their beers) the Sierra Nevada was a very distant last place. Just nothing compared to the others.

Should have thrown a Sam Smith's Taddy Porter into the mix!

Drinking some Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout tonight after work.

clingman71
04-11-2012, 15:57

I am a big fan of Founders Porter. I'd throw Anchor Porter into the mix as well.

clingman71
04-11-2012, 15:58
Surly Furious! In the mood for hops and Furious delivered.

smokinjoe
04-11-2012, 16:00
Duly noted, Gents! Will add to the mix for Round 2. Thanks.
:toast:

Clavius
04-11-2012, 18:12
Bell's Two Hearted Ale. This stuff rocks!

clingman71
04-11-2012, 18:39
Odell IPA. I've forgotten just how good this beer is. Hoppy, but more in the way of hop flavor and aroma than bitterness.

AaronWF
04-11-2012, 21:53
Should have thrown a Sam Smith's Taddy Porter into the mix!

I really like the Taddy as well, but it was a bit light compared to the Founders.

I am a big fan of Founders Porter. I'd throw Anchor Porter into the mix as well.

I too love Anchor Porter, but I love it for completely different reasons than Founders. Anchor is probably the lightest porter I've had, which I very much enjoy, but I don't see it comparing very equally to Founders, which is much richer, if I recall correctly.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale. This stuff rocks!

Agree, I can't stand my fridge without em! Nice avatar!

I revisited some Great Lakes Burning River. You just can't go wrong with this stuff. I suppose it's a bit on the mild side, but it's hitting the spot around this time of year.

unclebunk
04-12-2012, 06:06
Despite the rather cold temps last night, I went with something light, crisp and refreshing: Anchor Summer, an American wheat ale with a nice, fluffy head. Hit the spot!

sutton
04-14-2012, 11:10
St. Feuillien Brune Belgian Abbey Ale - I love this brewery. I think this is their basic brown ale, but it is rich, full-bodied, light on the funk, and really nice with the 70 deg. weather that has arrived.

I had a St. Feuillien on tap in Hamden CT that was their Christmas/holiday ale I believe. That was out of this world. I don't think they bottled it because I've never seen it, but if you get a chance to try it (more in the colder months) I highly recommend it.

stevegoz
04-14-2012, 13:05
Despite the rather cold temps last night, I went with something light, crisp and refreshing: Anchor Summer, an American wheat ale with a nice, fluffy head. Hit the spot!

One to watch for -- hope I can find a single or two for a mix-six.

St. Feuillien Brune Belgian Abbey Ale - I love this brewery. I think this is their basic brown ale, but it is rich, full-bodied, light on the funk, and really nice with the 70 deg. weather that has arrived.

I don't know this brewery, but it looks like Binny's carries its product. Tucking this one away for the fall; too many browns and blacks to finish off before switching fully to the summer wheats and pales.

SDpappy
04-14-2012, 17:04
Some Tsingtao with some Szechuan food.

Also had some Stone Black IPA after drinking some Brugablahsomething 18 scotch with a friend. I think I drink more bourbon than scotch since I can't pronounce any of those names.

clingman71
04-14-2012, 17:21
NH Farmhouse Hatter with burgers tonight, good combo. Opened a 2007 120 last night, exquisite.

ThomasH
04-14-2012, 18:39
Samuel Adams blackberry wheat!

Thomas

cigarnv
04-15-2012, 03:44
Williamsburg Alewerks Washington Porter... just ok for me.. decent flavor but a thin mouth feel....

MarkEdwards
04-15-2012, 11:42
Just pulled some Chimay out of storage after 6 months. Even yummier than drinking it fresh from the store.

Guinness, of course, and Ugly Pug from Rahr Brothers.

I've got a double chocolate stout, that will be my first chocolate stout, so I'm looking forward to it for tonight.

smokinjoe
04-15-2012, 13:00
Switching up between Sweetwater 420 and Full Sail Session Lager while slaving away working out in the pond, trying to get it finished. Both are proving to be very thirst quenching.

AaronWF
04-15-2012, 14:49
We had some people over for brunch today and I served my brunch specialty, the Dirty Ho.

It's Hoegaarden spiked with raspberry lambic. This drink can definitely be made more top shelf with similarly styled beers, but it's a good alternative for mimosas. I've made plenty of non-beer drinkers happy, and if you feel that Lindeman's makes a disgustingly sweet lambic, I've also used Ommegang's Aphrodite to great effect.

clingman71
04-15-2012, 15:44
Homebrews today while brewing a rye pale ale. So much fun I'm brewing a second batch today, black saison.

dridge11
04-16-2012, 11:31
Just got some Avery The Maharaja and Brew Dog Tokio. Madness

cas
04-16-2012, 16:36
Picked up some Atwater bourbon barrel Porter this weekend. Atwater is in Detroit and they make some good beer. This is an excellent Porter. The carboard carrier that the bottles come in has directions to the brewery from various points in MI. The directions from Canada read: "swim".
Craig

unclebunk
04-17-2012, 06:31
Picked up some Atwater bourbon barrel Porter this weekend. Atwater is in Detroit and they make some good beer. This is an excellent Porter. The carboard carrier that the bottles come in has directions to the brewery from various points in MI. The directions from Canada read: "swim".
Craig

That porter sounds mighty fine! We split a six pack of Three Floyds Gumballhead last night, along with some OWA while watching the Bruins game. May seek out some Baltic porter tonight which is always nice. There are some great ones from Estonia, Lithuania and Poland on the shelves around here, so a mixed six pack may be in order.

c2walker
04-17-2012, 18:02
Hitachino Nest White Ale. A very interesting, very unique, and very good beer out of Japan. I pick up a lot of ginger which is something I've previously never gotten from a beer. If only it wasn't nearly $5 for a 12 oz bottle here in NC!

bad_scientist
04-17-2012, 18:54
That porter sounds mighty fine! We split a six pack of Three Floyds Gumballhead last night, along with some OWA while watching the Bruins game. May seek out some Baltic porter tonight which is always nice. There are some great ones from Estonia, Lithuania and Poland on the shelves around here, so a mixed six pack may be in order.

Zywiec makes a great Baltic porter, IMO. When the bottle has been cared for and not exposed to too much harsh treatment, I think it's world class.

moose
04-17-2012, 22:51
Oskar Blues - Deviant Dales, been enjoying this one lately. Great IPA, probably the best IPA out of Colorado at the moment.

unclebunk
04-18-2012, 07:57
Zywiec makes a great Baltic porter, IMO. When the bottle has been cared for and not exposed to too much harsh treatment, I think it's world class.

That's true, for sure. We have a huge Polish community here in Chicago, so many fine Polish beers are available to us and Zywiec Porter is a stand-out, though last night we had Okocim Porter on hand and Okocim O.K. Pale Lager for those who don't like the dark stuff.

T Comp
04-18-2012, 13:00
Oskar Blues - Deviant Dales, been enjoying this one lately. Great IPA, probably the best IPA out of Colorado at the moment.

Ya gotta keep rubbing it in that Oskar Blues (and Odell-love the Double Pilsner) are not distributed in Chicago :grin:. Thankfully I have friends travelling to your fine state in June for Wilco at Red Rocks and I'll be there in August.

c2walker
04-23-2012, 18:38
I'm currently drinking Duck-Rabbit Barleywine. North Carolina breweries have really been impressing me lately (I'm a native Californian). This beer is sweet and fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. Overall very well balanced and recommended. Duck-Rabbit (Kinston, NC) and Foothills (Winston-Salem, NC) have consistently been putting out top notch brews.

bad_scientist
04-23-2012, 18:54
Have you had the Rabid Duck? It caught my wife's eye and I'm thinking it would be a good one to have while we wait out this unseasonably cold weather up here.

I'm currently drinking Duck-Rabbit Barleywine. North Carolina breweries have really been impressing me lately (I'm a native Californian). This beer is sweet and fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. Overall very well balanced and recommended. Duck-Rabbit (Kinston, NC) and Foothills (Winston-Salem, NC) have consistently been putting out top notch brews.

c2walker
04-23-2012, 19:12
Have you had the Rabid Duck? It caught my wife's eye and I'm thinking it would be a good one to have while we wait out this unseasonably cold weather up here.

I saw it today and almost picked it up. It was highly recommended, but I have too many stouts in my cabinet right now. Duck-Rabbit has yet to put a below average beer so I'm definitely going to be trying it soon.

Clavius
04-23-2012, 19:51
Just poured a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Man, you talk about a heavy duty beer! Tons of coffee and dark chocolate in this one. Not sure I can drink more than one though.

clingman71
04-23-2012, 19:55
Just poured a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Man, you talk about a heavy duty beer! Tons of coffee and dark chocolate in this one. Not sure I can drink more than one though.

You need to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout!

c2walker
04-23-2012, 20:00

That's cruel! You're absolutely right, but finding KBS is like finding PVW.

Clavius
04-23-2012, 20:12
A bar here in town had some one night recently. They were letting people buy ONE bottle each, only to drink there. Kind of wish I had gotten down there to give it a try.

clingman71
04-23-2012, 20:15
That's cruel! You're absolutely right, but finding KBS is like finding PVW.

Sorry. I won't mention Canadian Breakfast Stout then.

unclebunk
04-24-2012, 06:02
Cold, clean, crisp Polish beer last night--Zywiec! What's nice about Zywiec is it has a firm, malty body and just enough hop presence to keep you happy and refreshed. Get it!

redbear
04-24-2012, 08:01
512 Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter

So good!

cas
04-24-2012, 15:37

So good!

Who makes this?
Craig

Ejmharris
04-24-2012, 15:51

So good!

There's a lot going on in that beer. Sounds like one I might like though.

redbear
Who makes this?
Craig

512 http://512brewing.com/
2400 bottles. On tap around TX.

Ejmharris
I have a local bar with the left handed nitro milk stout on special. I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

redbear
04-24-2012, 16:40
I have a local bar with the left handed nitro milk stout on special. I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

I like that one a lot.

BradleyC
04-24-2012, 19:42
Great Divide's Barrel Aged Old Ruffian came out today. It's a hoppy barleywine aged in Stranahan's barrels for 9 months and comes out at 11.8%. I had to open one to see if I liked it and whether or not to get a few more before they are gone. Like the other Great Divide barreled beers, its big on the barrel and whiskey influence. Personally I like it that way. It may or may not get better with time, but it sure is good now. I'll get more over the coming days. I almost wished I didn't like it. I really don't have the room to keep it and I don't need to spend the money on it. Oh well.

This is definitely a whiskey drinker's beer.

Ejmharris
04-24-2012, 19:44
Great Divide's Barrel Aged Old Ruffian came out today. It's a hoppy barleywine aged in Stranahan's barrels for 9 months and comes out at 11.8%. I had to open one to see if I liked it and whether or not to get a few more before they are gone. Like the other Great Divide barreled beers, its big on the barrel and whiskey influence. Personally I like it that way. It may or may not get better with time, but it sure is good now. I'll get more over the coming days. I almost wished I didn't like it. I really don't have the room to keep it and I don't need to spend the money on it. Oh well.

This is definitely a whiskey drinker's beer.

I wonder if it will come to Ohio? I do like their barrel aged stuff as well.

clingman71
04-28-2012, 10:07
Dark Horse Plead the Fifth RIS, big powerful stout, dark chocolate, coffee, deep roasted grain, very flavorful.

unclebunk
04-28-2012, 10:34
Modus Operandi IPA from Ska Brewing in Durango, CO. Hoppy and more citrusy than anything I've had in a while. It's like having grapefruit squeezed into your beer, but in a good way!

MarkEdwards
04-28-2012, 15:17
Roge Dead Guy. My favorite in celebration of Kentucky advancing to the title game. Not sure what I'll do if they win on Monday night... there may be some champagne involved (but no burning couches)!

Or maybe a bottle of Samuel Adams Infinium:

http://www.the40cast.com/2012/01/03/beer-review-samuel-adams-infinium/

bucky1
05-03-2012, 20:27
Bells Hopslam and 2012 Experimental at Bells Cafe in Kalamazoo. The experimental was a bit too earthy for me. Hopslam on tap...can't beat that. Oh...and maybe I had a Two Hearted to finish the night.

Jon

Gillman
05-04-2012, 04:09
With Thad recently in Bardstown, Full Sail ESB and Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic IPA, both about 7.5% ABV.

Both these are examples of modern craft brewing at its best. The beers were very tasty and well-made with no faults in the bottle like damp paper oxidation or acetic acid. They also IMO despite some of the terms in the second one, exemplify an English style of brewing albeit made by reputed American brewers.

I've been trying craft beers since they emerged around 1980 and they have never been better.

Gary

unclebunk
05-04-2012, 06:14
With Thad recently in Bardstown, Full Sail ESB and Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic IPA, both about 7.5% ABV.

Both these are examples of modern craft brewing at its best. The beers were very tasty and well-made with no faults in the bottle like damp paper oxidation or acetic acid. They also IMO despite some of the terms in the second one, exemplify an English style of brewing albeit made by reputed American brewers.

I've been trying craft beers since they emerged around 1980 and they have never been better.

Gary

Will be on the lookout for the SA Dark Depths Baltic IPA. That sounds really good. Have any of you picked up the Sam Adams Hop-ology IPA sampler twelve pack? It's got a few beers that are exclusive to the box and all are quite interesting and varied.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/samuel-adams-hop-ology-seasonal-ipa-pack.15622/

smokinjoe
05-08-2012, 19:03
A couple of Fulton "Sweet Child of Vine" IPA's at dinner in the hotel Bar in MSP. Nice beer, but still pissed I was too dog tired to make it to the ballpark to see the Twins. :(

T Comp
05-09-2012, 06:48

Gary

Will be on the lookout for the SA Dark Depths Baltic IPA. That sounds really good. Have any of you picked up the Sam Adams Hop-ology IPA sampler twelve pack? It's got a few beers that are exclusive to the box and all are quite interesting and varied.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/samuel-adams-hop-ology-seasonal-ipa-pack.15622/

Both of these beers were great but I found myself going back for another sip (or two or three :cool: ) of the Sammy Baltic later at the picnic. The pioneer, dinosaur and now tied with Yuenglings on sales as the largest American owned beermaker...still got game. Hank did you notice that the Dark Depths is part of the twelve pack sampler you referenced but Gary was able to get it (at Party Source?) as a stand alone. The twelve pack certainly seems worth it too with the exception of the Whitewater IPA, for my tastes.

Gillman
05-09-2012, 07:27
Actually got that beer at Cork & Bottle in Covington, a stand-alone. Really top-grade product! Sam Adams is continually coming out with new beers and it's hard to keep up, I haven't tried the others mentioned as yet. I like the Stock Ale and Summer Ale as reliable go-tos. The regular lager though has a particular flavour I don't really like, a bit harsh and acetone-like, I think it's from the hop blend used.

I much prefer the Light, Sam Adams Light, for the lager side of things, it seems to have a different formulation than the regular lager, it's not just the same thing diluted down. Same thing with Michelob Ultra Light, it's the best in the Michelob range by my lights and closest in hop flavour to the 1970's Michelob. I think they ramp up the hop bill because it's light to begin with - Amstel Light has a similar strategy. This may sound contradictory but it isn't, the hop flavor makes up partly for the very light body of the beer. I almost never drink mass-produced or industrial beer but I like those two. First tasted the Michelob Ultra Light at Randy's in Houston, Val gave me one!

Gary

Lazer
05-10-2012, 19:27
Brown, New Castle Brown. :cool:

ratcheer
05-11-2012, 04:41
My son gave me a Smuttynose IPA last night. It is way, way too bitter for my taste. :bigeyes:

Tim

unclebunk
05-11-2012, 06:07
My son gave me a Smuttynose IPA last night. It is way, way too bitter for my taste. :bigeyes:

Tim

That's too bad, Tim. Maybe you should try Smuttynose's regular pale ale called Shoals Pale Ale. That one is toned down a bit and is quite tasty.

unclebunk
05-11-2012, 06:09
Went with a few bottles of Bells Oberon last night while watching the Bulls blow their do-or-die game against the Sixers. The beer was great but the Bulls sure weren't.:(

sutton
05-11-2012, 16:24
Founder's Red Rye PA after an EC12 ... I think I have rye growing out of my ears...

clingman71
05-11-2012, 19:31
Hopslam with dinner earlier, Mmmm hops!

DaveOfAtl
05-11-2012, 20:52
Bell's Brown Ale and a couple of interesting beers from Terrapin. First, had the Spike and Jerome (Rum Barrel aged Rye Barleywine) -- much more sour than a typical barleywine. Then, had the Terrapin Phlux Capacitor oak aged ale. A lot of wood up front but a nice beer overall. Terrapin is doing good things in Athens, GA.

smokinjoe
05-12-2012, 14:36
Picked up a growler of Oberon at Whole Foods this afternoon, and am enjoying it now. I will need to finish this up, take a couple quit hits of OGD 114, and maybe hit myself over the head with a hammer before I go to pick up my MIL for Mother's Day Dinner out...:)

Tony
05-12-2012, 16:24
A 2006 DFH Fort last night along with some OWA.

Best regards, Tony

smokinjoe
05-14-2012, 18:22
I picked up a couple of six-packs of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale while in KY during Sampler, as it has been one of my favorite beers. I am on to my 5th bottle, and it just isn't hitting me right. They all have seemed too dang sweet. I don't remember this excessive sweetness before. I'm sure it's my own palate, and it just isn't agreeing with me and the warmer weather. Maybe, I'll just put the rest away until Fall.

redbear
05-14-2012, 18:48
A 2006 DFH Fort last night along with some OWA.

Best regards, Tony

Wow Nice! Have you been cellaring that Fort? I immediately drank the only one I found some years ago.

dridge11
05-15-2012, 09:00
I got into a 2012 Stone Russian Imperial Stout last night...buy them if you find them, quite exceptional. I'm going back for more.

c2walker
05-15-2012, 09:47
I got into a 2012 Stone Russian Imperial Stout last night...buy them if you find them, quite exceptional. I'm going back for more.

Good to know. I picked one up a couple weeks ago, but haven't tried it yet. Guess I'll go see if the store has more. Now this site is causing me to spend more money on whiskey AND beer!

yountvillewjs
05-15-2012, 10:33

Didn't quite have the body I was looking for, but apparently that can come with some age. I'll grab a few more next time I see some and do a little age trial.

unclebunk
05-15-2012, 13:22
Warm evening last night, so we went with Mexican beer and tequila. I really enjoy Bohemia for a change of pace and tonight it'll be Tecate.

MarkEdwards
05-15-2012, 15:40
Not impressed with the Samuel Adams 'summer collection'. Especially the cherry/wheat. :skep:

DeanSheen
05-16-2012, 07:49
Flying Dog - Underdog Lager

A fine new session beer at 4.7% Not malty like Session Red and not bitter like Bitter American, this one sits right in the middle of those two. It had enough body to give a good mouth feel but not so much as to make you feel full. It's not sweet nor bitter and has just enough flavor to keep you interested.

http://flyingdogales.com/beers/#/The+Pack/UnderDog

I was also really impressed by another session beer, Founders All Day IPA. Very tasty stuff!

http://foundersbrewing.com/the-lineup/all-day-ipa

unclebunk
05-16-2012, 08:34
Not impressed with the Samuel Adams 'summer collection'. Especially the cherry/wheat. :skep:

I'm with you on the cherry wheat. That stuff is just not my cup of tea.

yountvillewjs
05-16-2012, 11:19
The next person I find that likes Cherry Wheat will be the first. It feels like a hostage beer to me -- to get a sampler pack of things you want to try, you are taking this cherry poison as well. Shocked it hasn't been dropped from the line-up, as I generally like most of the beers they make.

smokinjoe
05-16-2012, 12:05
The next person I find that likes Cherry Wheat will be the first. It feels like a hostage beer to me -- to get a sampler pack of things you want to try, you are taking this cherry poison as well. Shocked it hasn't been dropped from the line-up, as I generally like most of the beers they make.

Ha! The SA Holiday pack used to include it's own "Hostage Beer" (love that description, BTW :)) the dreadful (To me, anyways) Cranberry Lambic. Fortunately, they removed it the last couple of years.

ebo
05-21-2012, 13:28
Agree about the Cranberry Lambic and the Cherry Wheat....yuk!

My favorites in the Holiday pack are the Old Feziwig and the Black and Brew Coffee Stout.

bucky1
05-21-2012, 17:52
Outside temperature dropped...sitting on the deck enjoying a Bells Two Hearted wishing I lived in Ohio, Michigan, N Carolina or the Chicago area so I could try the Founders All Day IPA. Sounds like I need to take a little ride.

Jon

clingman71
05-21-2012, 19:04
Southbound, will be in Macon tomorrow. Stopped at Country Boy Brewing in Lexington for a stretch of the legs and a pint of Fulcan-A IPA. Georgia here we come!

hilega
05-21-2012, 19:19
Firestone 805 Blond Ale ... keepin' it local!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

yountvillewjs
05-22-2012, 12:53
Ha! The SA Holiday pack used to include it's own "Hostage Beer" (love that description, BTW :)) the dreadful (To me, anyways) Cranberry Lambic. Fortunately, they removed it the last couple of years.

I borrowed the 'hostage' term from the wine world -- some of the hot wineries try slowing cherry pickers and/or flippers by making them buy bottles+ of less desirable items to get the ones they want.

Forgot about Cranberry Lambic -- that one blows too.

wadewood
05-22-2012, 14:57
jester king mad meg on cask at Hay Merchant in Houston. Later will be at Karbach tasting event at Reserve 101.

Clavius
05-22-2012, 16:47
Budweiser from a can... I'm so ashamed! :shocked:

ebo
05-22-2012, 17:28
Budweiser from a can... I'm so ashamed! :shocked:
I'll be hoisting a few of those tomorrow evening... golf league. :grin:

sailor22
05-22-2012, 17:42
Founders Dirty Bastard - really a good brew.

sutton
05-23-2012, 04:03

Agree there! Have found all of the Founders brews to be excellent -

cigarnv
05-26-2012, 04:26
Had a Bitter Valentine from Williamsburg Alewerks last evening.... one of the best undiscovered IPA's made today... IMO.... Thanks Steve!!

unclebunk
05-26-2012, 05:05

We had a very cool evening last night so decided to go with the Scottish stuff too in order to make room in the beer fridge for the warm weather months: Founders Dirty Bastard, Sam Adams Wee Heavy and Orkney Skull Splitter, my favorite of the bunch.

clingman71
05-26-2012, 15:44
Oskar Blues Dale's and Deviant Dale's at the beach, Tybee Island

Ejmharris
05-26-2012, 15:50
Nothin special for the brew, it was only colors light, but it was on the maiden voyage if our first boat. It tasted mighty nice!

bigtoys
05-26-2012, 17:01
just grabbed this off the shelf at Liquor Barn.
Anyone had it?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0772.jpg

ratcheer
05-27-2012, 09:01
Alas, I have had to give up beer for a while, as much as I love it. I have been on a low-carb, gluten-free diet since the day after Easter. I do not like low-carb beers, so that is not a good substitute for me, whether they are gluten-free or not.

The good news is that I have lost 15 pounds since then. :cool:

Tim

callmeox
05-27-2012, 09:19
I consumed a number of cans of Bitter American at a party yesterday and I am none the worse for the wear today. Easily my favorite beer lately.

It's a great racing day on television with the Monaco GP, Indy 500 and the Coke 600 today. With the steamy temps outside, it's tempting to just chill inside.

Bourbon Boiler
05-27-2012, 18:22
too hot for anything but Leine's summer shandy. At least from the michigan gas station's selection.

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 07:54
Oskar Blues Dale's and Deviant Dale's at the beach, Tybee Island

Great brews... like most from OB's

Clavius
05-28-2012, 17:21
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Haven't had it in forever and I still like it. Just a solid brew all around.

bigtoys
05-28-2012, 18:39
Hacker-Pschorr Weisse--always reliable to be tasty

unclebunk
05-29-2012, 06:30
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Haven't had it in forever and I still like it. Just a solid brew all around.

My assessment as well. Found one lurking in the back of the beer fridge this weekend and left it on the counter for 15 minutes or so before cracking it open. Wonderful as ever with nice fruity notes--the perfect quencher on a scorching hot day.

unclebunk
05-29-2012, 06:59
All over the map this holiday weekend. Mexican beer (Bohemia, Tecate and Dos Equis), German beer (Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Aventinus and a pair of Austrian beers: Gosser and Trumer) and a slew of American micros (Magic Hat #9, Three Floyds Gumballhead, Bell's Oberon and Two-Hearted Ale, Goose Island Honkers Ale, etc.). We set heat records here in Chicago the last few days, so anything cold within arm's reach went down the hatch. That went for whiskey and tequila too!:grin:

jcg9779
06-01-2012, 13:59
Today I am working out of my business partner's office and taking full advantage of "Beer Fridays." I'm finishing up some work while drinking a Terrapin Hopsecutioner in the office. It's a nice way to bring in the weekend.

smokinjoe
06-01-2012, 14:19
Today I am working out of my business partner's office and taking full advantage of "Beer Fridays." I'm finishing up some work while drinking a Terrapin Hopsecutioner in the office. It's a nice way to bring in the weekend.

Atta boy! That's our Jack! :woohoo:
Just finished up my run with one-a-them 21st Amendment Monkey Beers.

Gillman
06-01-2012, 14:24
Wells Young Courage Russian Imperial Stout, the revived (U.K.) imperial stout of Courage which was last in the market in the mid-90's. It's good but American and Canadian versions of the style equal and in some cases outpace it. Big coffee-malty flavour with good English hops underpinning.

Gary

unclebunk
06-01-2012, 14:33
Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic Porter. Man, this stuff is good! I'll go out on a limb and say that this beer is as good as any I've had in six months.

dridge11
06-01-2012, 14:51
Had a couple Avery Bourbon Barrel Aged Uncle Jacob's Stout show up at the office today!

Gillman
06-01-2012, 15:18
Agree about the Sam Adams Dark Depths, outstanding beer, probably best new beer this year.

Gary

smokinjoe
06-01-2012, 17:24
Agree about the Sam Adams Dark Depths, outstanding beer, probably best new beer this year.

Gary

Y'all are getting me pumped to try this! I picked up a bottle of this today, and plan on getting into it this weekend. The only thing better to look forward to, would be to pop it open with you guys by the pool at the GN during our afternoon beer tasting!

moose
06-01-2012, 18:02
Just finished a Rogue Dead Guy Ale, haven't had one in a while, while it's a good beer, it has an initial off note to it that I don't particularly care for.

smokinjoe
06-02-2012, 12:23
Founder's Dry Hopped Pale Ale on just about the most perfect weather day you could ask for, here Down South. 75 degrees, very low humidity, a little breeze, and the bluest sky I've seen in some time. This Founder's is a crisp, clean, and perfect complement.

unclebunk
06-02-2012, 12:32
Founder's Dry Hopped Pale Ale on just about the most perfect weather day you could ask for, here Down South. 75 degrees, very low humidity, a little breeze, and the bluest sky I've seen in some time. This Founder's is a crisp, clean, and perfect complement.

Sounds awesome, Joe!:toast:

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 14:36
SN Torpedo from the can .... A darn good ups that you can always find!

bad_scientist
06-05-2012, 14:46
SN Torpedo from the can .... A darn good ups that you can always find!

Probably the first time I've agreed with you on the forum. They've really been on their game in the past couple of years.

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 14:50
Probably the first time I've agreed with you on the forum. They've really been on their game in the past couple of years.

First time?? I don't seem to recall that we disgreed on much....

bad_scientist
06-05-2012, 16:30
First time?? I don't seem to recall that we disgreed on much....

Maybe you're right. I even have a steel blue shirt of my own :) It's a Founders Expedition Stout logo, but still...

cigarnv
06-05-2012, 17:05
Maybe you're right. I even have a steel blue shirt of my own :) It's a Founders Expedition Stout logo, but still...

Possibly a Bell's shirt??? Steel blue is good.....

bad_scientist
06-05-2012, 17:42
Possibly a Bell's shirt??? Steel blue is good.....

Oh my god, yes, you're right. Kalamazoo, I love you!

smokinjoe
06-07-2012, 06:33
New Glarus IIPA and Fat Squirrle before, and a coupla MGD's (with obligatory brat :D) at Miller Park for Brewers/Cubs game. The IIPA was fantastic. You could smell it in the glass from 8 feet away. BTW, Miller Park is one cool baseball park. I had very good seats, but looking around, I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. All seats seem to be practically right on top of the field. Great venue.
Also, couldn't resist picking up a "Cerveceros" T-shirt. The jersey's were cool. What a clever idea!

unclebunk
06-07-2012, 08:34
New Glarus IIPA and Fat Squirrle before, and a coupla MGD's (with obligatory brat :D) at Miller Park for Brewers/Cubs game. The IIPA was fantastic. You could smell it in the glass from 8 feet away. BTW, Miller Park is one cool baseball park. I had very good seats, but looking around, I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. All seats seem to be practically right on top of the field. Great venue.
Also, couldn't resist picking up a "Cerveceros" T-shirt. The jersey's were cool. What a clever idea!

Sounds like you had a great time, Joe. And I couldn't agree more about the New Glarus IIPA. I'm still waiting for them to send it to us over the state line. In the mean time, regular trips to Wisconsin will remain my pleasure, especially with a trunk-load of beer coming back.:grin:

smokinjoe
06-08-2012, 16:37
Just finished watching John Smoltz have his number 29 retired here at Turner Field. "Toughest" pitcher the Brave's ever had in that great rotation. This Bud's for you Smoltzie!! Now, for the game!

unclebunk
06-08-2012, 17:11
Two Brothers Hop Juice Imperial IPA, a fantastic 100 IBU seasonal that comes and goes in a flash every summer. Last year I paid $11 a bomber at Trader Joe's, which was actually cheaper than most places. Imagine my surprise when I saw a shelf of 50 bottles at TJ's yesterday with a $7 price tag! I came home with five and regret not buying more, as a friend went in today to get his share and found only six bottles left. This one's definitely not for everyone but I love it!

Clavius
06-08-2012, 17:35
No bourbon for me tonight. Just a couple Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA's. Good stuff!

clingman71
06-09-2012, 10:16
Might have overindulged a bit thurs night before the concert. Friday night we split a Stillwater Cellar Door farmhouse ale. Karen is a big fan of saisons and farmhouse ales and she really liked this one.

bad_scientist
06-09-2012, 11:57
Might have overindulged a bit thurs night before the concert. Friday night we split a Stillwater Cellar Door farmhouse ale. Karen is a big fan of saisons and farmhouse ales and she really liked this one.

Stillwater is down in Ohio? That's awesome! We have a lot of shining lights up here in DC/Maryland, but none brighter than Stillwater. Flying Dog also is upping their game considerably - their Underdog lager is one of the best session beers I've had, probably better to my palate than Bitter American. They might not have a great reputation, since historically, their beers have kind of sucked, but they got a lot better in a short time.

stevegoz
06-09-2012, 18:46
Two Brothers Hop Juice Imperial IPA, a fantastic 100 IBU seasonal that comes and goes in a flash every summer.

The Hop Juice Festival at the Roundhouse last weekend was great. First three years it was held at the brewery itself, and was sort of a congested mess due to lack of space. Now that they have the Roundhouse, it's a "must do" for me every summer. And if you're on the BN rail line, it's a straight shot to the fest at the Aurora end of the line with no worries about parking or overconsumption.

Also? Hop Juice Black. A most excellent imperial black pale ale.

clingman71
06-09-2012, 21:12
Tonight was a beer night. Sitting around a fire, began with FFF Gumballhead. Then my homebrew summer rye and Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's. Finished with Ballast Point Tongue Buckler imp red- incredible malty red ale with enormous hop presence.

Phischy
06-10-2012, 00:29
Some of my latest pales (pale/ipa/dipa) have had issues. Which drives me nuts. Not bad beers, but no what I'm shooting for. 2 beers in the fermenters now, high hopes for each.

Currently went to Alpine Brewing for some beer. These guys make the BEST west coast style IPA's I've ever had. But zero distribution so you can't get them anywhere. THey're 20mins away, so...not too far.

Damn they make excellent beer.

unclebunk
06-10-2012, 10:43
The Hop Juice Festival at the Roundhouse last weekend was great. First three years it was held at the brewery itself, and was sort of a congested mess due to lack of space. Now that they have the Roundhouse, it's a "must do" for me every summer. And if you're on the BN rail line, it's a straight shot to the fest at the Aurora end of the line with no worries about parking or overconsumption.

Also? Hop Juice Black. A most excellent imperial black pale ale.

Somehow that event slipped past my radar, otherwise I would have met you up there for a few beers. I live less than two blocks from the BN line in Brookfield (just a stone's throw from the Irish Times!), so that would be very convenient. How far is the Roundhouse from the station?

unclebunk
06-10-2012, 10:44
Plenty of Negra Modelo went down the hatch last night while sipping too many glasses of tequila. I enjoy that beer but it seems to have slightly less character than it used to, though that may just be my own faulty recollection of its flavor.

smokinjoe
06-10-2012, 11:58
Listening to the Braves on the radio, on a darkish, on-and-off rainy, day. Trying the latest Terrapin Side Project (#16), "Phlux Capacitor" Oak Aged American Ale. Nice brew, but a touch too sweet IMO. Very drinkable though, with a fair amount of old-timey black licorice over the palate. Goes pretty well with the weather.

AaronWF
06-10-2012, 12:01
I'm getting my beer on this afternoon with some Two Brothers Outlaw from a can. I like beer from a can. Typically after I pour it into a glass.

This is an IPA sitting at 6.3% and it's very decent. Nice and drinkable with lots of citrus, though more hops would balance it out better.

I miss my Zombie Dust. It's the only beer that's been firing on all cylinders for me lately. I needa get sommore!

stevegoz
06-10-2012, 14:59
Somehow that event slipped past my radar, otherwise I would have met you up there for a few beers. I live less than two blocks from the BN line in Brookfield (just a stone's throw from the Irish Times!), so that would be very convenient. How far is the Roundhouse from the station?

The Roundhouse is co-located with the Aurora station. Seven bucks round trip with the Amtrak weekend pass -- great way to get there for those of us who live near the rails! (I'm two blocks from the DG Fairview stop.)

Thanks for the tip that TJ's had HJ -- picked a few up this morning.

From photos on FB, it looks like 2Bros is building out a new brewery in the Roundhouse. They just pulled the old equipment out in the past week or so.

cigarnv
06-12-2012, 03:26
Tried the Founders Curmudgeon Better Half ... IMO way out of balance, overly sweet and malty .... a classic over the top barley wine. uge disappointment especially given the crazy price.....

smokinjoe
06-12-2012, 06:17
A couple of Guinnesses on draught at Ri Ra in Evansville last night. I'm not a huge fan of Guinness, but a properly poured draught while watching baseball and hockey on the screen at the bar is a treat.

jcg9779
06-15-2012, 17:19
Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic Porter. Man, this stuff is good! I'll go out on a limb and say that this beer is as good as any I've had in six months.

Celebrating the weekend with Sam Adams Dark Depths. Very drinkable beer...not great to me but not bad by any means.

clingman71
06-15-2012, 17:40
Hoppin' Frog Hopped-up Goose Juice Rye IPA, very good, Hoppin'Frog is solid.

Bourbon Boiler
06-15-2012, 18:27
312 Urban Wheat Ale this evening. Nothing special, but hits the spot after a very long week.

cigarnv
06-16-2012, 07:28
Fade to black pepper porter ..... Great brew that is perfectly balanced

unclebunk
06-16-2012, 07:59
Celebrating the weekend with Sam Adams Dark Depths. Very drinkable beer...not great to me but not bad by any means.

Sounds like you were underwhelmed by the SADD. I'm wondering if it's simply a matter of personal taste or if perhaps you drank the beer too cold. Like most ales, the aroma really shines when the beer is served in the mid-50 degrees range. The reason I mention this is because I pulled two bottles of SADD out of the fridge last night and left the second one on the counter while I consumed the first bottle. I noticed that the second bottle was light years better than the first, having had ten or fifteen minutes to warm up a bit. I'm still knocked out by how good this beer is and have yet to encounter anything better this year.

m_jolley
06-16-2012, 10:09
Well the warmer weather is finally here (or almost here, for our friends up North). What are you drinking this Spring?

I am bouncing back and forth between Belle's Two Hearted Ale and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Can't go wrong either way. Two of the best IPA's out there IMHO!

unclebunk
06-16-2012, 10:30
I am bouncing back and forth between Belle's Two Hearted Ale and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Can't go wrong either way. Two of the best IPA's out there IMHO!

You've got that right! It's 91 and muggy and I'm sipping on a Two Hearted right now, with the ribs and hot links smokin' away. Man, that beer sure tastes good. Two Brothers Hop Juice on deck for later in the afternoon. Enjoy!

Gillman
06-16-2012, 15:28
Czechvar, at just under 8 weeks from packaging - the brand states a very clear production date on the base of the can. It's called Budweiser Budvar in some markets. This Czech classic is almost oily-tasting with flowery, aromatic notes and succulent malt. Just so good, the Czechs have been making great beer for so long it is easy to forget that this exemplar of fine brewing is unique and has never been copied. (Ditto with fresh Pilsner Urquell).

I chased it down with a tot of one of my Jack Daniels minglings.

Gary

DeanSheen
06-19-2012, 06:35
I've been drinking a lot of SixPoints lately.

http://sixpoint.com/

unclebunk
06-19-2012, 08:16
Czechvar, at just under 8 weeks from packaging - the brand states a very clear production date on the base of the can. It's called Budweiser Budvar in some markets. This Czech classic is almost oily-tasting with flowery, aromatic notes and succulent malt. Just so good, the Czechs have been making great beer for so long it is easy to forget that this exemplar of fine brewing is unique and has never been copied. (Ditto with fresh Pilsner Urquell).

I chased it down with a tot of one of my Jack Daniels minglings.

Gary

I toured the Budweiser Budvar brewery in Ceske Budejovice back in 1994 and had a grand time walking around the facility and drinking their ultra-fresh beer. World class, that's for sure. (And slightly better than the Pilsner Urquell that is being exported to the US these days, though that may be due to poor handling by distributors and retailers.)

stevegoz
06-19-2012, 09:55
I've been drinking a lot of SixPoints lately.

http://sixpoint.com/

What's your fave?

I'm big on Resin and also enjoy Apollo. Bengali Tiger and Righteous were good, but I didn't care much for The Crisp or Sweet Action.

hectic1
06-19-2012, 19:50
I visted Rogue Brewery tonight and enjoyed some beers and a burger there! I had sample pours of the following:
Brutal IPA
Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale (from Deadliest Catch)
Dad's
Little Helper Black IPA
Rogue Chocolate Stout
Hazelnut Brown Ale
New
Crustly Barelywine
Chipotle Ale
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout
(Nitro)
Chatoe Rogue Single Malt

I plan on heading back there tomorrow as I have more investigating to do!

fussychicken
06-19-2012, 23:33
Pizza Port's 5th Anniversary Ale just started showing up on shelves in LA this week. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/69053 Popped the top on one tonight. My goodness. So so nice. And yes, so so much alcohol...

MyOldKyDram
06-21-2012, 17:30
Founder's KBS.It's as close as I could get to actual bourbon tonight in this heat. Maybe after one of these...

Clavius
06-21-2012, 19:24
Just cracked open a bottle of Rogue Double Dead Guy. Pretty good stuff. But I'm not sure that it's THAT much better than regular Dead Guy. And Dead Guy is probably my favorite beer.

smokinjoe
06-22-2012, 15:37
Just demolished a Corona in just under 8 seconds after a laboring run on a hot day. I usually post this at least once a year after a run like this, but it's worth repeating...I realize that Corona gets poo-poo'd alot by beer pros, but to me, there are not any beers that hit the spot better than Corona after a good workout on a hot day. It hit the spot at Hilton Head last week, too. Nice beach beer. Corona does have its moments.

Clavius
06-23-2012, 14:31
Drinking some IPA from the newly opened West Sixth Brewing here in Lexington. Truly one of the better IPA's I've had. And it only comes in a can!

MyOldKyDram
06-23-2012, 14:42
Good stuff, but you really need to get down there and try their Heller Heaven Douple IPA. Really nice. Their Snake Eyes Imperial Stout is pretty great too. Love that place and Country Boy.

Clavius
06-23-2012, 14:44
Good stuff, but you really need to get down there and try their Heller Heaven Douple IPA. Really nice. Their Snake Eyes Imperial Stout is pretty great too. Love that place and Country Boy.

I was just down there earlier today. I tried the Brown, which was ok. Wasn't there for very long. Mainly went just to get a sixer of the IPA and the check the place out.

Country Boy is great too.

MyOldKyDram
06-23-2012, 14:48
They carry the sixers at Liquor Barn now. Hell, we were in Danville today and saw them a couple of places there. Decent micro in Danville too, Lore.

Clavius
06-23-2012, 14:50
They carry the sixers at Liquor Barn now. Hell, we were in Danville today and saw them a couple of places there. Decent micro in Danville too, Lore.

Yeah I heard the Barns carry it now. But I try to avoid giving Liquor Barn any of my money as I work for a competitor in the area.

jcg9779
06-23-2012, 18:10
SN Torpedo tonight with dinner.

callmeox
06-23-2012, 18:26
Finally back in the game this weekend with a Righteous Ale by Sixpoint.

clingman71
06-23-2012, 19:13
Port Brewing Anniversary Ale DIPA, crazy hoppy deliciousness!

ratcheer
06-24-2012, 05:35
Pabst Blue Ribbon was on sale at my grocery store, so I decided to try it for the sake of nostalgia. I was mainly interested to know whether it tastes the same as back in the 60's and 70's. To my pleasant surprise, it is very close. Maybe not exactly the same, but very close.

It is amazing how you can remember a flavor from 40 years ago.

Tim

chouffe62
06-24-2012, 07:00
Russian River Supplication & Beatification

unclebunk
06-24-2012, 07:44
Pabst Blue Ribbon was on sale at my grocery store, so I decided to try it for the sake of nostalgia. I was mainly interested to know whether it tastes the same as back in the 60's and 70's. To my pleasant surprise, it is very close. Maybe not exactly the same, but very close.

It is amazing how you can remember a flavor from 40 years ago.

Tim

That's how I was with Ballantine Ale and Schafer after not seeing either one on a store shelf for more than 20 years, except that the latter turned out not tasting as I had remembered it which was disappointing.

Bourbon Boiler
06-24-2012, 14:26
48 latitude IPA from Sammy Adams. Not bad, but not a good match for the hot day outside.

jcg9779
06-24-2012, 16:59
SN Torpedo while cooking chicken on the grill this evening.

AaronWF
06-29-2012, 13:05
Sitting pretty at the bar at 3 Floyd's Brewpub in Munster, IN drinking Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught IPA so far. Both IPA's around 9-9.5%, both delicious and similar but with subtle differences. Hops are a bit more crisp in the Arctic Panzer while the Dreadnaught's more malty body tames the hop character on the palate and adds some weight to the finish.

Can't overindulge, gotta get going to the MI wedding where Pappy15 and PHC Golden Anniversary await! You can bet a couple bombers will follow me on my travels...

unclebunk
06-29-2012, 13:53
That sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon, Aaron. Have fun!

clingman71
06-29-2012, 14:39
Sitting pretty at the bar at 3 Floyd's Brewpub in Munster, IN drinking Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught IPA so far. Both IPA's around 9-9.5%, both delicious and similar but with subtle differences. Hops are a bit more crisp in the Arctic Panzer while the Dreadnaught's more malty body tames the hop character on the palate and adds some weight to the finish.

Can't overindulge, gotta get going to the MI wedding where Pappy15 and PHC Golden Anniversary await! You can bet a couple bombers will follow me on my travels...

I was there yesterday enjoying zombie dust and apocalypse cow with a scotch egg. Brought a few bottles of AC home with me.
Spent a few days in Chicago area:
Acre Taproom - New Belgium La Folie
Hopleaf - Revolution Saison
Sheffields - Revolution Double Fist

Met some brewers from Revolution, Marty was great, hooked us up with some great samples.

World Of Beer - Ska Modus Hoperandi

Very enjoyable week of beers.

Clavius
06-29-2012, 16:49
Founder's Double Trouble for me tonight. A pretty good IPA, imho. However my current favorite is still the IPA from local brewer West Sixth.

unclebunk
06-29-2012, 18:03
Two Brothers Hop Juice and Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I can't get enough of the hops these days and will seek out Lake Erie Monster tomorrow at Binny's.

MyOldKyDram
06-30-2012, 15:27
Trader Joe...err...JosephsBrau Dunkelweizen.

AaronWF
07-02-2012, 16:30
That sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon, Aaron. Have fun!

As I sit here drinking one of the Arctic Panzer Wolf bombers I brought away with me, I can't wait to make a repeat trip out there, maybe when I have some more time. For being so close to Chicago, it's actually not a small haul from the N. Side having to traverse some of the worst traffic-strewn courses in this fair city.

I was there yesterday enjoying zombie dust and apocalypse cow with a scotch egg. Brought a few bottles of AC home with me.
Spent a few days in Chicago area:
Acre Taproom - New Belgium La Folie
Hopleaf - Revolution Saison
Sheffields - Revolution Double Fist

Met some brewers from Revolution, Marty was great, hooked us up with some great samples.

World Of Beer - Ska Modus Hoperandi

Very enjoyable week of beers.

Sounds great! I think that Acre taproom is brand new because when I went to the brewery for some Double Daisy Cutter, there was nowhere to hang out. DDC has completely ruined me on the regular DC now, it's just too sweet for me. And though they're a stone's throw away from my home, there's really nothing they make that I'm all that attracted to.

This Arctic Panzer Wolf is just divine, did I mention that already? I'm going through a 3 Floyd's phase, big time. This stuff is a punch in the face and a bed of roses all in one.

smokinjoe
07-02-2012, 16:37
New Belgium "Somersault" Summer Seasonal...

Blech.....

I'm tiring of these overly spritzy and tart Summer beers that so many of the Micros have been coming out with. I just don't find them enjoyable.

AaronWF
07-02-2012, 16:38
I'll also mention that I had a few beers over the weekend at Greenbush brewery in Sawyer, MI. They have a pretty extensive operation for only being around for a couple short years, a fair amount of barrel aged beers and interesting-sounding experiments. My favorite beer of theirs was called Closure, a pale ale coming in around 6% with a ruddy-brown body but more hops than malt, which is what I prefer. I took away a growler of it to share over a family birthday dinner last night.

The porter and black IPA weren't really to my liking. I didn't get a chance to try some of their trippel-style ales, but if you're in the area, I can confidently recommend it. Looked like they had a really nice food menu too.

AaronWF
07-02-2012, 16:40
New Belgium "Somersault" Summer Seasonal...

Blech.....

I'm tiring of these overly spritzy and tart Summer beers that so many of the Micros have been coming out with. I just don't find them enjoyable.

If the name of the beer has 'Summer' in the title, or any season, really, that's usually my cue to pass.

AaronWF
07-02-2012, 16:45
Argh, okay last post reflecting on my weekend, I promise! I forgot to mention the wedding beer! LikeItWasSodaPop's pop and brother were responsible for the homebrew at the party, and all three were top notch. Well, to be honest I didn't have the wheat beer because it's not my thing, but the pale ale and especially the black IPA were outstanding. I liked the BIPA much more than the one at Greenbush, though Hoppin' Frog Hop Heathen is still king among the few that I've had.

And the beers were perfect accompaniments to the unchillfiltered EC12 and Willet 5yo rye.

stevegoz
07-02-2012, 21:50
NIce selection of brews on my birthday -- a Three Floyds Brian Boru, a Pipeworks Ninja v. Unicorn, a Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron brown ale and a Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout!

Lost Pollito
07-03-2012, 11:24
Firestone Walker IPA. My favorite beer currently.

miller542
07-03-2012, 14:05
I"m too lazy to look back a previous pages of this thread to confirm, but I haven't seen mention of Sam Adams Porch Rocker yet. Its a german style radler beer designed to compete with the likes of Summer Shandy and the rest of the light, citrus flavored beers. If you've ever been to Germany and had a Radler, this is the best representation of the style I've ever had state-side.

If you're looking for something for your 4th of July picnic thats light, tasty, and beats the pants off of Summer Shandy, give Porch Rocker a try.

(no I don't work for Sam Adams, its just a well-made unique beer that I enjoyed a lot)

MyOldKyDram
07-03-2012, 15:50
Breckenridge 471 IPA.

MarkEdwards
07-03-2012, 15:56
I'm having a St. Arnold Brown right now, but will be trying THIS later:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1417/3824/

Clavius
07-04-2012, 14:11
Just picked up a bottle of Chimay Blue and also a bottle of New Albanian Hoptimus to try.

MyOldKyDram
07-04-2012, 14:40
21st Amendment Hop Crisis.

SBOmarc
07-04-2012, 15:30
Have been enjoying Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA. Also Kingfisher Lager I enjoyed the Kingfisher much more due to the heat around here. I like my IPAs in the Fall and Winter.

sutton
07-04-2012, 15:36
Have been enjoying Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA. Also Kingfisher Lager I enjoyed the Kingfisher much more due to the heat around here. I like my IPAs in the Fall and Winter.

I love Kingfisher - esp. in the heat. It is a perfect thirst quencher.

clingman71
07-04-2012, 19:22
Odell IPA, Fathead's Head Hunter IPA, Bell's Oracle, and Stone Ruination 10th anniversary, hopfest today!

unclebunk
07-05-2012, 12:33
Roasting hot day yesterday for our Independence Day celebrations, so beer flew out of the coolers at a very quick pace. After all the good stuff was gone (Three Floyds Gumballhead, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, etc.) we were left with nothing but cans of Old Style, Stroh's, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life and Schlitz. Hey, when it's 101 degrees out, anything'll do. Gotta say that the Old Style and Schlitz actually tasted pretty darn good when fished from the bottom of an ice cold cooler.

clingman71
07-05-2012, 19:42
Local place had a Goose Island tasting tonight. After a much too long hiatus, Goose IIPA returned to SW Ohio. Split a 2005 BCS with our area Goose Island rep, it was exquisite.

Virus_Of_Life
07-05-2012, 22:39
I visted Rogue Brewery tonight and enjoyed some beers and a burger there! I had sample pours of the following:
Brutal IPA
Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale (from Deadliest Catch)
Dad's
Little Helper Black IPA
Rogue Chocolate Stout
Hazelnut Brown Ale
New
Crustly Barelywine
Chipotle Ale
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout
(Nitro)
Chatoe Rogue Single Malt

I plan on heading back there tomorrow as I have more investigating to do!

Their beers are pretty good, but if you are still in town and want to know some better places to check out let me know and I'll point you to it.

ebo
07-06-2012, 14:12
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Guiness Extra Stout... 50/50 mix. Makes a great Black and Tan.

smokinjoe
07-06-2012, 14:28
I love that GL Dortmunder. Is in my all-time Top 5. I'm finishing up some paperwork, on what has been an odd week with the July 4 Holiday right in the middle, with a SweetWater Brewing IPA.

T Comp
07-06-2012, 19:32
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Guiness Extra Stout... 50/50 mix. Makes a great Black and Tan.

I love that GL Dortmunder. Is in my all-time Top 5. I'm finishing up some paperwork, on what has been an odd week with the July 4 Holiday right in the middle, with a SweetWater Brewing IPA.

I remembered you guys while out for dinner with the Mrs. tonight and GL Dortmunder it was. Top 5 for me too Joe...Top 1 for lagers I'd say. Went to Shaw's Crab House tonight Joe, a place you might know. The elk were out there roasting in the 103 degree heat too.

compliance
07-06-2012, 21:26
Opened a Melange 3 from the Bruery. One of the best barrel aged beers I've had.

Bourbon Boiler
07-07-2012, 10:00
Back to Summer Shandy - simply too hot for anything else.:(

smokinjoe
07-07-2012, 10:33
I remembered you guys while out for dinner with the Mrs. tonight and GL Dortmunder it was. Top 5 for me too Joe...Top 1 for lagers I'd say. Went to Shaw's Crab House tonight Joe, a place you might know. The elk were out there roasting in the 103 degree heat too.

Don't know Shaw's, Thad. I'll mention it next time I'm up there...which will be, like tomorrow! :D We're pretty predictable. Lou's, Toscana's, Yanni's, Rosewood...Still missin' The Black Ram, though. :(

T Comp
07-07-2012, 10:45
Don't know Shaw's, Thad. I'll mention it next time I'm up there...which will be, like tomorrow! :D We're pretty predictable. Lou's, Toscana's, Yanni's, Rosewood...Still missin' The Black Ram, though. :(

Nothing like a little thread drift here Joe but Yanni's just shut their doors too.

fussychicken
07-07-2012, 17:10
Just had and awesome lunch at Beachwood BBQ and Brewing. Was there to celebrate the 1st anniversary of their brewery. Have to admit I didn't like their anniversary Triple IPA, but all the other stuff was so so great. Was able to try Alpine's Duet IPA (like a Pliny light, a good thing), there was a special keg of a 2006 Stone Bourbon Barrel aged IRS (also good, like molasas), Pizza Port's Poor Man's DIPA (nice bitter hops), and finished with one of Beachwood's finest I've ever had. Called System of a Stout, Julian went kind of crazy and brewed with cardamom, molasses, coffee, and brandy soaked oak chips. Sounds wild, but is so nice!

Bourbon Boiler
07-07-2012, 19:48
Had a Yuengling Premium at dusk in the neighbor's pool. Not bad, but could have been better. My instructions of "hey bring me a beer" probably could have been more specific.

ratcheer
07-08-2012, 05:26
Since the 4th, I have been working on a case of good old Budweiser.

Tim

unclebunk
07-08-2012, 07:11
Boulevard sampler from Kansas City. I worked my way through half the twelve pack last night and their Pale Ale and IPA are quite fine, though the Boulveard Irish Ale didn't do a whole lot for me. Will check out the rest this afternoon while watching baseball.

Clavius
07-08-2012, 13:45
A bottle of Chimay Blue on a boring and oppressively hot Sunday. Nothing else to do, may as well drink!

MyOldKyDram
07-08-2012, 14:23
Enjoying a much needed rain with a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Tony
07-08-2012, 15:13
DFH Positive Contact today and is was tasty.

Best regards, Tony

OscarV
07-09-2012, 15:32
Re: What Beer Did You Enjoy Today
Founders Devil Dancer Triple India Pale Ale!!
This baby weighs in at 112IBU's & 12%ABV!!
It is surprisingly tame and very drinkable.
I just had one with dinner that consisted of a salad of Baby Spring Mix leaves, walnuts, fresh red raspberries, crumbled gargonzola cheese with a light splash of raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
Wham Bamn Batman, it was so good I was sad to see it gone.
This is one of Founders specialties that is only available in July, like the Kentucky Breakfast Stout only available in March.
They got several of 'em.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/ovhWinstonovh/rsz_founders_devil_dancer_002.jpg

bonneamie
07-09-2012, 18:49
I like how this thread starts with two Michigan brews. And so far, ends with one ...

unclebunk
07-10-2012, 09:29
Two Brothers Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale. If you enjoy biere de gardes, this is a fine American approximation of that traditional French style of beer.

MyOldKyDram
07-10-2012, 14:53
Cooking dinner and having a Hitachino Sweet Stout.

ETA: a local taproom has that Devil Dancer on tap. Looks like I need to get out and grab some.

clingman71
07-21-2012, 22:01
Tonight may have been the greatest beer night of my life. Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla, Firestone Walker 11, Isabella Proximus, and Westvleteren 12. I am speechless.

unclebunk
07-22-2012, 07:51
I don't often find Three Floyds Gumballhead on tap around here so was pleased to knock back several pints at a great local bar in town that now routinely features 32 beers on tap and another 200+ in bottles. The choices were amazing but I was looking for a hoppy quencher on such a hot evening and the Gumballhead did the trick. Excellent beer!

ratcheer
07-22-2012, 10:00
Yesterday, my son got a mixed 12-pack of several Magic Hat beers, from Vermont. We tried the Dandelion beer first, and we both found it to be very good.

Tim

unclebunk
07-22-2012, 11:00
Yesterday, my son got a mixed 12-pack of several Magic Hat beers, from Vermont. We tried the Dandelion beer first, and we both found it to be very good.

Tim

About all I ever see around here from Magic Hat is their #9 Ale. I'll have to look closer for their other beers, particularly the twelve pack sampler. I always like it when micros put those out so I don't waste $10 on a six pack for something that doesn't really impress me.

Clavius
07-23-2012, 17:08
Sam Adams Boston Lager, you really can't go wrong with this one.

ebo
07-23-2012, 17:16
I've been on a Stout kick, lately. Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Mackeson Stout, and good old reliable Guiness Extra Stout.

unclebunk
07-23-2012, 17:39
I've been on a Stout kick, lately. Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Mackeson Stout, and good old reliable Guiness Extra Stout.

Stout in this heat? Yikes! Man, I haven't had Mackeson Stout in years and would love to get my hands on some. Now that you mention it, I've got a case of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the basement waiting for the return of cool weather. Maybe I'll crack one tonight and pour a nice single malt and pretend it's December for a night!:grin:

bucky1
07-24-2012, 18:28
Thanks to a fellow SBer's recommendation that I swing by the brewery on a recent trip to Chicago, I've been enjoying Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught the last few nights. Very nice.

Gillman
07-25-2012, 04:42
Just on the point of stout and summer, many like an iced stout at this time of year. It is drunk that way in the Caribbean, to which strong stout has been exported since the late 1700's at least, and parts of Asia where ditto the English sent it out to their colonists and troops there. The habit of drinking it remained long after the British went home. Certainly, thick very strong beers probably won't appeal to most at this time of year but Guinness FES is quite sharp and not heavy really, I'd give it a go and it sounds great with a good malt or Irish!

Gary

unclebunk
07-25-2012, 05:17
Just on the point of stout and summer, many like an iced stout at this time of year. It is drunk that way in the Caribbean, to which strong stout has been exported since the late 1700's at least, and parts of Asia where ditto the English sent it out to their colonists and troops there. The habit of drinking it remained long after the British went home. Certainly, thick very strong beers probably won't appeal to most at this time of year but Guinness FES is quite sharp and not heavy really, I'd give it a go and it sounds great with a good malt or Irish!

Gary

Thanks for the info, Gary. Will give it a whirl soon, though today's 108 temp is probably not the time to reach for a Guinness. But when the heat dips back into the 80's later in the week I'll get one nice and cold and pour myself a Powers Gold to accompany it. Sounds good to me!

Gillman
07-25-2012, 07:15
Powers is one of the best values in whiskey today, not just Irish whiskey, but whiskey in general. It has a high percentage of pure pot still (I think 70-80%) and I actually prefer it to the current Green Spot or Redbreasts, say, the small amount of grain whiskey seems to "set" the palate. Top stuff.

Gary

unclebunk
07-25-2012, 07:21
Powers is one of the best values in whiskey today, not just Irish whiskey, but whiskey in general. It has a high percentage of pure pot still (I think 70-80%) and I actually prefer it to the current Green Spot or Redbreasts, say, the small amount of grain whiskey seems to "set" the palate. Top stuff.

Gary

Amen to that. And dirt cheap too at $18 from my favorite discount liquor store.

unclebunk
07-25-2012, 07:26
Yesterday afternoon I went with the cheap stuff--Schlitz! I was in the mood for something cold and quenching and the Schlitz was lurking in the back of the beer fridge from the night of the All-Star game. Not bad at all, though I couldn't possibly tell you if it tastes of the Schlitz from years ago. Sometimes it's nice to have a beer that you don't have to think about too much. I might give Old Style a spin this weekend and will definitely be hitting the Miller High Life tomorrow night at the blues bar.

smokinjoe
07-25-2012, 07:30
I'm so with you on this, Hank. I recently picked up a 12 pack of Budweiser (I'll admit, I got it for July 4 because of the cool patriotic Red, White, and Blue Flag can decor. :D), and enjoyed every last one of them. Sometimes, just drinking a simple beer can be a nice diversion.

Gillman
07-25-2012, 12:08
You guys should try Beck's, now brewed in the U.S. and much better as a result IMO (fresher, and I suspect not as intensively pasteurized). It has a rich clean taste that is satisfying and veers into but is not quite craft beer territory. Mine was from a green bottle taken from the back of the store refrigeration area and it was zero affected by light.

Gary

unclebunk
07-25-2012, 13:57
Remember the days when Beck's and Heineken were pretty much the only two premium import lagers people bought, long before micros and craft beers burst on the scene? Even Pilsner Urquell wasn't common back then, whereas the other two were always on hand when you wanted to step up a bit from your favorite local brew. Of course there were others (Grolsch, Lowenbrau, etc.) but over time I burned out on Beck's and Heineken and never came back to then. I like your suggestion though and a good bottle of Beck's might be just what the doctor ordered on hot day here in Chicago. I'm curious to see how it tastes after all these years, particularly if the flavor has improved as you noted. Thanks again!