PDA

View Full Version : Casks

Jono
03-21-2012, 17:00
http://simplyscotches.blogspot.com/2011/03/bourbon-and-sherry-casks.html

I wondered why almost always no new casks are used for Scotch whisky and this article indicates that "... its fresh "woody" elements" could potentially overpower the subtleties that we appreciate in a fine glass of scotch."
Well, it would be interesting to taste the result. Cost is certainly a factor too.

weller_tex
03-21-2012, 17:48
There is a readily available and relatively inexpensive single malt that you can get that is aged in new oak. Glenlivet 15 year French Oak is aged in new French Oak casks. Very good stuff, much better than the standard 12 year.

Clavius
03-21-2012, 19:59
There is a readily available and relatively inexpensive single malt that you can get that is aged in new oak. Glenlivet 15 year French Oak is aged in new French Oak casks. Very good stuff, much better than the standard 12 year.
Completely agree about the French Oak being better than the 12 year Glenlivet.

Stu
03-21-2012, 21:51
http://simplyscotches.blogspot.com/2011/03/bourbon-and-sherry-casks.html

I wondered why almost always no new casks are used for Scotch whisky and this article indicates that "... its fresh "woody" elements" could potentially overpower the subtleties that we appreciate in a fine glass of scotch."
Well, it would be interesting to taste the result. Cost is certainly a factor too.

Economics. There are very few oak trees in Scotland. Ky can only use a barrel one time. It's cheaper to buy used Ky barels and IMO they give a better flavor. I'm not too fond of Glenlevit French Oak.

Shuboy
03-22-2012, 00:09
The recent Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams was also finished in a new oak cask for three months (after already aging for 14-16 years in used casks). From what was mentioned on Drinkhacker, the whisky had to be closely monitored even though it was only three months of aging.

kickert
03-22-2012, 04:19

French oak is going to give a slightly different flavor profile than American White Oak. Remember, MM46 is using French Oak staves to alter their normal flavor profile.

Is anyone across the pond using new white oak?

Shuboy
03-22-2012, 09:27
I seem to recall Ralfy mentioning that Benromach had to use virgin American oak casks for their organic single malt.

Jonny.Applebury
03-26-2012, 13:49
Keep in mind that using American oak doesn't always mean that the casks previously held bourbon, or even American whiskey. Glengoyne uses some American oak casks that previously held sherry. Stuart Hendry from Glengoyne told me that less than 5% of Glengoyne's total amount of aging spirit is inside ex-bourbon American oak casks. The rest is a mixture of American and European oak that previously held sherry.

cbus
03-26-2012, 21:50
Not technically scotch, but Isn't Stranahan's a single malt aged in new barrels?

Megawatt
04-11-2012, 18:31
How about Deanston Virgin Oak? Pretty decent stuff, and not nearly as oaky as you might expect.

Jono
04-11-2012, 21:02
Have not tried it (or seen it) but the reviews appear favorable:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-14469.aspx

"...decanted into new American oak casks for its final stages of maturation."

Charred oak casks?