PDA

View Full Version : What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Jono
03-25-2012, 19:47
After a full day working outside -beautiful weather- filling dog holes, cutting grass (I think my first March grass cutting day ever), running back and forth to Home Depot 3x etc. I cooked out - my first this year - burgers and sausages with beer and then a Thomas Handy Rye this evening...very nice stuff. I cut it a bit with water and let it rest ala Ralfy's advice, and really enjoyed the pour. Interesting stars tonight..the Venus and Jupiter show continues with the moon joining in for a unique alignment of light...a reverse L.

DanG
03-26-2012, 08:01
Sounds delicious! Here in the Boston area, it's cooled down a bit again after a beautiful week last week.

I just had Bulleit Rye for the first time this weekend, and wasn't impressed. Though it was decent in a Sazerac and Manhattan.

Also, I've had some more of my beloved Ryan & Wood rye (from nearby Gloucester, MA) from barrel #2 which has now been open since August, I think. It's been open so long because I've been saving it. And now the spicy complexity has receded, leaving behind a very smooth chocolatey flavor. Though it's not bad, I'm a little disappointed, as I'm not so much a "smooth whiskey" drinker, especially when it comes to rye.

Jono
03-26-2012, 09:21
I found Bulleit to be fairly rough stuff, what I would expect from a "cowboy" whiskey.

boneuphtoner
03-26-2012, 13:10
As a confirmed rye-addict, I'm enjoying the following ryes right now: Thomas Handy, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse BIB, Russell's Reserve, Jim Beam, and Pikesville.

MrAtomic
03-26-2012, 14:21
I'm currently drinking some 24 YO Willett Rye that was bottled for BevMo a few years ago. It's... challenging. For starters, there is a lot of sediment swirling around in the bottle -- much more than in BTAC whiskies. After pouring some into a glass, the nose doesn't give up a lot of information. Taken neat, the woodiness stomps all over the other flavors. Some added water brings out more familiar rye tastes like spearmint and nutmeg, along with some grassiness. It's much more enjoyable with water. Overall, a very interesting bottle, although nothing I could drink every day. It's just a bit too oaky for me.

I had a bottle of BMH 23 Rye a couple of years ago. The Willett reminds me a bit of the BMH (at least, as I remember it), but with the wood intensity cranked up to 11. I'd really like to taste the Willett alongside some other older ryes, like a Saz 18, a Rittenhouse 21/23/25, and the Vintage 21 and 23. It'd be interesting to see how much woodier the Willett is than other bottlings in a similar age bracket.

pfiest
03-27-2012, 08:22
I've been going back and forth between the WT 101 Rye and the Bulleit Rye. While I consider the WT to be the better of the 2, I am finding the Bulleit interesting in that it's so much different than the rest of the rye's I've had. There's just something about it that I'm enjoying.

thezenone
03-27-2012, 10:53
Enjoyed some High West Double Rye.

Smithford
03-27-2012, 12:29
Speaking of High West, I just cracked open a bottle of Rendezvous a few days ago.

Very distinctive flavor profile, with lavender on the nose following through with Thrills Gum/Chowers Scented Gum on the palate and finish.

Some have noted that Bulleit Rye has a green label, hinting at it's spearmint-y contents. I think Rendezvous ought to have a purple label.

LikeItWasSodaPop
03-27-2012, 13:03
It's my day off, so I'm doing a triple play right now: small pours of BMH 23, VWFRR and Saz 18 before I run off to do some wedding registry BS (not my cup 'o tea, go figure!) with my wonderful fiancee. I do adore the Saz 18, but it just is nowhere near the VWFRR's league. The nose is where the Saz 18 shines, and by itself it's wonderful stuff, it just always comes off as stale to me. My last bottle hid in the back of the cabinet for a few months and it was literally deflated, utterly just gone. No there there. I've never had a whiskey do this to me in so short a time. I'm a lover of old ryes, so I will continute to snap up the Saz 18 when I can, but this experience has given me a wonderfully perverse incentive: drink that Saz 18 fast. Has anyone else had this experience? After about 3 mo the Saz 18 was limp, flaccid, just totally meh, blah, thppt. I know bottles degrade, yeah yeah yeah, but this was the quickest I've experienced so far.

The BMH 23 is dense and leathery and tobacco-y and makes me want to say if overoaking is wrong, I don't want to be right. (Of course, overoaking usually is wrong!) Had some Rittenhouse distilled in PA at Joe's not-really-going-away going away party, and the BMH 23 reminds me a lot of that. Or I should say, the initial taste of the PA Ritt really, really reminded me of the BMH 23, but now the BMH 23 reminds me of the Rittenhouse. Yeah, basically what I'm saying is that BMH 23 is the "Kafka and His Precursors" of rye whiskey. If you're not a Borges fan, just ignore the reference. Sorry to go literary on y'all.

AaronWF
03-27-2012, 14:20
My last bottle hid in the back of the cabinet for a few months and it was literally deflated, utterly just gone.

Has anyone else had this experience? After about 3 mo the Saz 18 was limp, flaccid, just totally meh, blah, thppt. I know bottles degrade, yeah yeah yeah, but this was the quickest I've experienced so far.

My 2011 bottle is doing the same thing. It's barely been a month and half since I opened it, I'm down to the last quarter and it's lost a lot of vitality. I think the same thing happened with my bottle from last year as well.

Tico
03-27-2012, 14:41
I have noticed the same thing re saz 18. After a few minutes in the glass it does seem to gain a little bit of weight and nose back but not as much as when it was first opened. I also find that the Glencairn really helps the saz 18 where you might lose some stuff if consumed in a standard tumbler.

Having the VWFRR open right next to it isnt helping its case either. I opened a fresh bottle from the 2011 release last week and now its almost half gone! :bigeyes:

dohidied
03-29-2012, 13:52
A simple Willett 4 year today. I love this stuff; the high proof makes it so much more interesting than Bulliet Rye. A rich, thick spice bomb.

Restaurant man
03-29-2012, 19:23
Love that willett rye!

LostBottle
03-29-2012, 20:10
Sipping on 'the anchorman' AKA Ritt21 - it's kind of a big deal.

dohidied
03-30-2012, 16:10
Love that willett rye!

I wish Costco would get some new bottles. I already bunkered the 3 year that they have. I want cheap 4 and 5!

MrAtomic
03-31-2012, 10:10
I had a nice rye surprise last night. We went to a dumpy local karaoke bar that I've been to at least 30 times before, but this time I noticed a bottle of Hirsch 13 Year Old Rye among the bourbons. It was shaped like a PVW/VWFRR bottle with a white label, red "Hirsch" script and a black wax top. Happily, the whiskey tasted very much like older bottlings of VWFRR. The bottle was 1/3 full when we got there, and empty when we left.

The best part was that after tasting the Hirsch, my wife canceled her order for a glass of white wine and asked me to get her a pour of the rye. We sat at the bar drinking it neat, serenaded by some of the worst drunken karaoke I've ever heard. A good night.

stiffchainey
03-31-2012, 12:11
Just bought Overholt for the first time, and I really, really like it!:cool:

White Dog
04-02-2012, 13:55
I had a nice rye surprise last night. We went to a dumpy local karaoke bar that I've been to at least 30 times before, but this time I noticed a bottle of Hirsch 13 Year Old Rye among the bourbons. It was shaped like a PVW/VWFRR bottle with a white label, red "Hirsch" script and a black wax top. Happily, the whiskey tasted very much like older bottlings of VWFRR. The bottle was 1/3 full when we got there, and empty when we left.

The best part was that after tasting the Hirsch, my wife canceled her order for a glass of white wine and asked me to get her a pour of the rye. We sat at the bar drinking it neat, serenaded by some of the worst drunken karaoke I've ever heard. A good night.

Amazing find!!!!

yountvillewjs
04-02-2012, 16:29
I wish Costco would get some new bottles. I already bunkered the 3 year that they have. I want cheap 4 and 5!

A relatively local liquor store (Bottle Barn) has the 5-yr at the same price as Costco has the 3. I was shocked.

spinningrecords
04-02-2012, 20:48
I'm currently drinking some 24 YO Willett Rye that was bottled for BevMo a few years ago. It's... challenging. For starters, there is a lot of sediment swirling around in the bottle -- much more than in BTAC whiskies. After pouring some into a glass, the nose doesn't give up a lot of information. Taken neat, the woodiness stomps all over the other flavors. Some added water brings out more familiar rye tastes like spearmint and nutmeg, along with some grassiness. It's much more enjoyable with water. Overall, a very interesting bottle, although nothing I could drink every day. It's just a bit too oaky for me.

I had a bottle of BMH 23 Rye a couple of years ago. The Willett reminds me a bit of the BMH (at least, as I remember it), but with the wood intensity cranked up to 11. I'd really like to taste the Willett alongside some other older ryes, like a Saz 18, a Rittenhouse 21/23/25, and the Vintage 21 and 23. It'd be interesting to see how much woodier the Willett is than other bottlings in a similar age bracket.

Thanks the tasting notes. I'm starting on a BMH 23-year rye and I've got the Willett 24-year sediment-soaked rye waiting in the wings.

spinningrecords
04-02-2012, 20:51

I've never seen that Hirsch label. However, I can relate to emptying rare finds at restaurants and bars. Drained a VWFRR with some friends in Frankfort last fall.

spinningrecords
04-02-2012, 20:53
Sipping on 'the anchorman' AKA Ritt21 - it's kind of a big deal.

I bought one tonight. Barrel #21.

redbear
04-03-2012, 11:33
I've never seen that Hirsch label. However, I can relate to emptying rare finds at restaurants and bars. Drained a VWFRR with some friends in Frankfort last fall.

Found this good old thread about the Hirsch 13 yo rye. Looks like you founda gem. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6830

MrAtomic
04-03-2012, 16:55
Found this good old thread about the Hirsch 13 yo rye. Looks like you founda gem. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6830

Redbear, thanks very much for unearthing that old thread about Hirsch 13 rye. And yes, I think it was a gem. Sipping it really reminded me of my first taste of VWFRR. The VWFRR and Hirsch 13 are rich and very spicy, yet retain some bourbon-y sweetness that sets them apart from any other rye I've had the opportunity to taste. There is minimal alcohol burn after swallowing, too. The smoothness and complexity of the VWFRR and Hirsch 13 really floor me, and it's some of my favorite whiskey. A shame it's so hard to find.

The bar in which I found the Hirsch 13 is a little, uh, freewheeling, so I asked the bartender if he had any more bottles of the rye stashed in the basement that he might want to part with. No dice. But he did turn up a half-full bottle of BHC Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. It was pretty tasteless, maybe because it'd been open for so long, maybe because I was drinking it right after that gorgeous Hirsch 13.

It was a good reminder that tasty bottles lurk in the least likely of places.

MrAtomic
04-03-2012, 17:02
Thanks the tasting notes. I'm starting on a BMH 23-year rye and I've got the Willett 24-year sediment-soaked rye waiting in the wings.

SpinningRecords, if you have a chance, let us know what you think of these ryes.

LikeItWasSodaPop, thanks very much for your tasting notes on the BMH 23. My memory is that the BMH 23 was pretty darned woody, but still an extremely enjoyable whiskey. Is yours topped with silver wax?

Flyfish
04-04-2012, 10:55
Rittenhouse BIB is my favorite but I haven't been able to restock it, this being Ohio. Fortunately, a friend of a friend has promised to bring a couple of bottles from Binny's. There was, however, a WT 101 Rye at the back of my cabinet. I don't remember enjoying it this much in the past. Tastes like mint tea with honey.

p_elliott
04-05-2012, 08:03
The other night I did Ritt BIB, Saz Jr, Ritt 23, and Handy in that order. The Ritt 23 was star of the night.

dohidied
04-05-2012, 15:22
A relatively local liquor store (Bottle Barn) has the 5-yr at the same price as Costco has the 3. I was shocked.

Oh yeah, that's where I got my 4 year. I love Bottle Barn (especially their FR1B); I've been going there for years. I grew up in Petaluma and my parents still live there, it's just hard to justify going farther North sometimes.

DaveOfAtl
04-05-2012, 18:44
Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.

White Dog
04-05-2012, 18:55
Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.

Can't speak to that, but it makes a killer Manhattan. Cask strength.

redbear
04-05-2012, 19:49
Just had my first THH and loved it. I need a couple more pours to confirm how much I enjoy it. This could be one to bunker up on.

unclebunk
04-06-2012, 05:38
Just knocked off my bottle of Old Potrero (90 proof) and baby Saz is on deck for tonight. Been a while since I had the latter, so I'm looking forward to it.

p_elliott
04-06-2012, 21:04
Made a big dent in Saz Jr last night.

LostBottle
04-06-2012, 22:31
We had a get together at Jake's place last night and got to enjoy some good rye I had not consumed before.

I compared the Bowman barrel-strength rye directly against the Handy. No contest, the 4 extra years on the Bowman make a tremendous difference. The nose on the Bowman was powerful, rich and complex. In comparison, the youth of the Handy became very apparent as the whiskey smelled much younger and alcoholic. The palate of the Bowman was bold like you would expect a cask strength to be and the Handy is always a punch in the mouth. While there are similarities in the whiskeys, the Bowman just has so much more happening - it has sweetness and hotness like the Handy, but then the Bowman keeps coming. I think it is interesting that the older rye had more of those notes I associate with a youthful rye - menthol and black pepper. The finish on both was nice, but I the Bowman edges out the Handy here too. Verdict? I waited too long to buy the Bowman and now I realize what I missed out on.

I also had the opportunity to try the Hirsch 25. The first thought when you see the bottle is, who poured coffeee in this thing? This stuff is dark, and not merely Stagg dark. This is "I can hold it up and suck the light out of a 30 foot radius" kind of dark! The whiskey itself keeps this same dark theme. There is dark maple syrup, dark wet wood, and dark fruit. The finish starts rye and then turns to long and woody with something else in there I cannot place. This is a dark brooding whiskey that requires more time and contemplation then I could give it. While something I cannot see myself reaching for, I probably would revisit on a cold Moscow night.

The highlight of the night (well, year actually) goes to a piece from Jake's jaw dropping collection. He has a tax strip Old Overholt from what I believe is around the mid 80's. This stuff was f****** amazing! The nose of the Overholt (not to be confused with the Overcoat version of recent years) is akin to sticking your head inside a 53 gallon drum of black licorice pieces - wonderful. The mouth feel is softer and thinner than I am used to and you almost expect it to go astringent a moment after it hits your tongue...and then..it doesn't. The vanilla sweetness comes first and then the rye builds. The alcohol is there, but it stays in the background and lets the flavors develop. The finish is rye with the oak nicely in the background adding to the complexity. When they coined the idiom "they don't make them like they used to", I am pretty sure they were talking about this bottle.

c2walker
04-07-2012, 07:18
We had a get together at Jake's place last night and got to enjoy some good rye I had not consumed before.

I compared the Bowman barrel-strength rye directly against the Handy. No contest, the 4 extra years on the Bowman make a tremendous difference. The nose on the Bowman was powerful, rich and complex. In comparison, the youth of the Handy became very apparent as the whiskey smelled much younger and alcoholic. The palate of the Bowman was bold like you would expect a cask strength to be and the Handy is always a punch in the mouth. While there are similarities in the whiskeys, the Bowman just has so much more happening - it has sweetness and hotness like the Handy, but then the Bowman keeps coming. I think it is interesting that the older rye had more of those notes I associate with a youthful rye - menthol and black pepper. The finish on both was nice, but I the Bowman edges out the Handy here too. Verdict? I waited too long to buy the Bowman and now I realize what I missed out on.

I also had the opportunity to try the Hirsch 25. The first thought when you see the bottle is, who poured coffeee in this thing? This stuff is dark, and not merely Stagg dark. This is "I can hold it up and suck the light out of a 30 foot radius" kind of dark! The whiskey itself keeps this same dark theme. There is dark maple syrup, dark wet wood, and dark fruit. The finish starts rye and then turns to long and woody with something else in there I cannot place. This is a dark brooding whiskey that requires more time and contemplation then I could give it. While something I cannot see myself reaching for, I probably would revisit on a cold Moscow night.

The highlight of the night (well, year actually) goes to a piece from Jake's jaw dropping collection. He has a tax strip Old Overholt from what I believe is around the mid 80's. This stuff was f****** amazing! The nose of the Overholt (not to be confused with the Overcoat version of recent years) is akin to sticking your head inside a 53 gallon drum of black licorice pieces - wonderful. The mouth feel is softer and thinner than I am used to and you almost expect it to go astringent a moment after it hits your tongue...and then..it doesn't. The vanilla sweetness comes first and then the rye builds. The alcohol is there, but it stays in the background and lets the flavors develop. The finish is rye with the oak nicely in the background adding to the complexity. When they coined the idiom "they don't make them like they used to", I am pretty sure they were talking about this bottle.

Great post! I'm EXTREMELY jealous! Couldn't you have said that some readily available bottle was the star of the night? ;)

p_elliott
04-07-2012, 21:06
Killed that Saz Jr last night it will be a while before it will be replaced if ever, not that fond of it too grassy or hay.

CaptainQ
04-07-2012, 21:13
Awesome review Will. Hell of a great night, thanks to Jake et all!!

Tico
04-08-2012, 12:19
Enjoyed some VWFRR last night. BT or not, it is some damn fine stuff.

Roadsaw
04-09-2012, 19:25
A little Ritt 21 tonight

dohidied
04-10-2012, 14:48
Drinking some WT 101 today and enjoying it the most I have in months. Recently, it always seems to taste very young and harsh to me. But today I get this rich caramel along with the spice. Very enjoyable and very lacking in the bunker.

BFerguson
04-10-2012, 17:27
Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 18:36
I just walked in the door from a long day at the office and poured the High West 36th Vote Barreled Manhattan. It uses the HW Double Rye which is a good choice as the spiciness plays very nicely against the sweet vermouth. Being barreled makes it seem a bit more integrated and suitable to my taste. A chilled bottle from the refrigerator may just become my drink this Summer.

Brisko
04-11-2012, 09:22
Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B

So given the choice which one would go into your bunker, the 4 or the 5?

BFerguson
04-11-2012, 14:33
So given the choice which one would go into your bunker, the 4 or the 5?

At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B

cigarnv
04-11-2012, 14:38
Bowman barrel proof rye with a few friends.... now this is great rye..

LostBottle
04-11-2012, 17:53
Bowman barrel proof rye with a few friends.... now this is great rye..

It sure is - and good whiskey tastes even better when sharing with friends. In my first taste of the Bowman last week, I was amazed by much better than its younger sibling (Handy) it was.

BFerguson
04-11-2012, 19:41
At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B

Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B

Tico
04-11-2012, 21:55
Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.

Brisko
04-12-2012, 06:59
Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B

I have an 1122 and can't agree with you enough. I'll have to track down some more.

yountvillewjs
04-12-2012, 10:12
Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.

I've been noticing the same thing. I've got maybe 1/5 of a bottle to go - and it is just not very interesting anymore. Sacrilegious, but I'm thinking about pouring that last bit off into a Manhattan and giving that spot on the bar to something more exciting.

barrelslime
04-12-2012, 15:22
I cracked open a new bottle of Templeton Rye last night. I know there is
a lot of opposition toward Templeton, but I am fond of it............
I would like to hear about the Woodford Reserve Rye's if anyone has a report.

White Dog
04-17-2012, 17:19
I cracked open a new bottle of Templeton Rye last night. I know there is
a lot of opposition toward Templeton, but I am fond of it............
I would like to hear about the Woodford Reserve Rye's if anyone has a report.

Much of the dislike has nothing to do with the quality of Templeton. I would recommend buying bottles of Bulleit and Willett Rye, tasting them against Templeton, and then consider the prices on all three. You may start to feel some opposition yourself.;)

White Dog
04-17-2012, 17:21
Hirsch 25yr. Man, do I love this. If I could bunker this by the case I would, but then I wouldn't have enough money left over for the divorce proceedings.

Phil T
04-17-2012, 18:21
Not Hirsch 25yr, but some Ritt BIB and WT 101, both are mighty tasty tonight.

tommyj1986
04-17-2012, 18:22
Finished off a bottle of Ritt BIB myself tonight.

c2walker
04-17-2012, 18:38
Finished off a bottle of Ritt BIB myself tonight.

I'm guessing you didn't also start the bottle tonight, in which case your post would likely look like: findksfjghed ritehtendhooouse ryeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Phil T
04-17-2012, 18:47
I'm guessing you didn't also start the bottle tonight, in which case your post would likely look like: findksfjghed ritehtendhooouse ryeeeeeeeeee!!!!

LMAO ..:lol:..you're obviously familiar with the lingo? !!.

tommyj1986
04-17-2012, 19:00
No, I've been saving the last pour for no apparent reason. The bottle did go quick, but not one night quick.

yountvillewjs
04-17-2012, 19:09
It's amazing how fast a Ritt can go in my house. I don't care for it straight, but as the base for a Manhattan - it's sublime. I've converted many over to Ritt, albeit it foolishly as I have a hard enough time finding it as is.

White Dog
04-17-2012, 19:24
It's amazing how fast a Ritt can go in my house. I don't care for it straight, but as the base for a Manhattan - it's sublime. I've converted many over to Ritt, albeit it foolishly as I have a hard enough time finding it as is.

That's why the only Ryes I recommend are Beam and OO.;)

HRay
04-17-2012, 19:36
We finally got the Willett Rye here in Atlanta. Enjoying the first LDi rye I've had that is over 90 proof. Now if we could just get a 100 proof 8 year old LDI......

Flyfish
04-18-2012, 14:05
My wife and I feel exactly the opposite. It is so good neat, we don't make Manhattans with Ritt. And especially because our demand exceeds the supply.

yountvillewjs
04-18-2012, 14:09
My wife and I feel exactly the opposite. It is so good neat, we don't make Manhattans with Ritt. And especially because our demand exceeds the supply.

Straight, the profile is a little muddled for me. It's not quite a spicy, minty rye. It's bourbon-y. It is unique to my limited palate, just not where I go when looking for something to sip on. If that makes any sense.

Brisko
04-18-2012, 14:26
Straight, the profile is a little muddled for me. It's not quite a spicy, minty rye. It's bourbon-y. It is unique to my limited palate, just not where I go when looking for something to sip on. If that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. However, it pairs perfectly with Edy's Thin Mint flavored ice cream.

mrviognier
04-18-2012, 14:40

I'm with you in your opinion. Frankly, I've never really understood why people go ga-ga over Ritt 100. Is it good? Sure. Does it represent a good value? Absolutely. Is it a great Rye? Not IMHO.

White Dog
04-18-2012, 16:09

I completely agree with you. It's no WT.

bad_scientist
04-18-2012, 16:30

Me four. I thought I loved it but, boy, I got sick of it pretty fast. I never could get over the musty notes, and of course the lack of spiciness.

jtexaslonestar
04-18-2012, 17:10
We finally got the Willett Rye here in Atlanta. Enjoying the first LDi rye I've had that is over 90 proof. Now if we could just get a 100 proof 8 year old LDI......

Yes!!! This stuff is great and exceptionally smooth for 110 proof. And a good price too!

nblair
04-18-2012, 17:51
I completely agree with you. It's no WT.

Although we all love bourbon (and rye). I always forget just how much taste and preference varies from person to person.
I love Ritt, but think that WT rye is mediocre at best.

tommyj1986
04-18-2012, 18:23
Although we all love bourbon (and rye). I always forget just how much taste and preference varies from person to person.
I love Ritt, but think that WT rye is mediocre at best.

Yeah I've been tasting through all the standard rye offerings I could find and so far Ritt BIB has been my favorite and is my current go to, especially at the price. I didn't really get what I wanted with the WT rye, but I can see why people would prefer it.

Brisko
04-18-2012, 19:43
Right now the best "cheap" rye I have open is Saz jr. This boTtle is far better than the previous ones I've had. The best WT rye I've had would still beat it, though. My current Ritt fallls somewhere in the middle.

cbus
04-22-2012, 19:34
Rittenhouse BIB as I avoid working on my last college presentation. Hitting the spot tonight.

clingman71
04-23-2012, 20:27
Vintage 21, absolutely fantastic whiskey. Getting a little more wood and spice as I work through this bottle, but not too much. Still has a full mouthfeel and richness that balances the spice differently than most, not sweet, yet rich, if that makes any sense.

clingman71
04-29-2012, 18:57
WTR101 poured and ready for Mad Men.

Parkersback
04-30-2012, 06:55
A tiny bit of RittBIB, then a bit more ND-era Old Overcoat. Both are good. The Overcoat is opening up and showing a little more rye flavor. Initially, it was maybe tasting almost like a rye-heavy bourbon. This time I got a little more of that spice.

unclebunk
04-30-2012, 07:01
All this talk of Rittenhouse BIB has gotten me thinking about tonight's choice of beverage. And to think I was able to buy the stuff for $14 as recently as two years ago! Still a great value at $18-$20 around here.

LostBottle
05-14-2012, 18:09
Well, it looks like this thread needs a bump. Here is the trio I have been enjoying as of late:
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/elttob/photo-1.jpg

The Saz is, as always, superb. I love the floral and grassy notes, add in that outstanding finish and you have a winner. Saz 18 is still my favorite whiskey - Stitzel-Who? Wheated what?

The Vintage 21 is also outstanding - lots of wood, but in a good way. Not sure that I can say it is better than VWFRR, but I would probably put the two on par.

To my palate lately, the Handy has been good, but not nearly on the same level as the two other whiskeys mentioned here. I am picking up caramel sweetness which I am not caring for - makes a great Manhattan though. Having tried the Bowman, I know the potential the Handy had. This should be a lower-priced regular offering; aged only 6.5 years, it seems BT could easily ramp up production.

After I finish off the Handy, which will be any day now, High West Rendezvous will make the rotation. I might also have to crack a WT 101 rye - even though I don't have a WT 81, a glass of dirty tap water sounds like it might make a good substitute for a side by side WT comparison.

mosugoji64
05-17-2012, 09:23
Had very generous pours of Baby Saz and Saz 18 at Alembic yesterday evening. The place is looking a little rougher as they prepare a larger dining area next door, but it's still a treat as the pours are hefty, the selection great, and the bar staff is always friendly. Wish we had a place like this at home!

cigarnv
05-18-2012, 06:43
I have been enjoying the Willett 5YO CS rye... very nice rye that has the mint well under control... to the point you wonder if it really is LDI......

Phil T
05-18-2012, 09:01
I have been enjoying the Willett 5YO CS rye... very nice rye that has the mint well under control... to the point you wonder if it really is LDI......

I agree. Just cracked open a bottle last night, its very good

bad_scientist
05-18-2012, 20:02
Just killed a bottle of the Willett 5 year rye while helping my wife with her Ph.D. thesis. Some help I am!

c2walker
05-18-2012, 21:28
Just killed a bottle of the Willett 5 year rye while helping my wife with her Ph.D. thesis. Some help I am!

If her thesis was on alcohol consumption then you likely helped quite a lot!

bad_scientist
05-18-2012, 22:15
If her thesis was on alcohol consumption then you likely helped quite a lot!

Yeah, the "drinks until he gets cross-eyed" graph would have very small error bars.

Actually, I can't find anything I liked tonight, so I literally dumped some good whiskey down the drain and just had on Oberon with an orange slice instead. I guess that's what I wanted all along.

ChainWhip
05-20-2012, 16:23
Back-to-back WT 101 Rye & Rittenhouse BIB

jtexaslonestar
05-22-2012, 17:21
HW 21yr (very generous friend) and had a pour of VBT #384 a little earlier.:cool:

m_jolley
05-22-2012, 20:34
Was fortunate to obtain a Jefferson's 10 yo rye that i am thoroughly enjoying! Nose is minty, lemongrass, earthy. Initial taste has an oiley feel as it wets your tongue with subtle vanilla leading to moderate lemon zest with hints of spice that lasts all he way through the long finish. Will definetly purchase again when I have the opprotunity.

clingman71
05-22-2012, 21:12
My first Saz 18, expensive but solid pour @ Congress St Social Club - Savannah, GA. But heck, you only get married once, or in my case, twice......hopefully.

cbus
05-22-2012, 21:39
High west double rye tonight. Not the first time I've had it. The nose was not agreeing with me tonight, but the rest was good.

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-22-2012, 22:29
High West 16 ... local overpriced place has a half bottle for $50 and yeah, I bought it. Good but not great and not really worth it. Tastes like Saz 18 left to go flat in the back of my cabinet.

Followed by PS Willett 5 year LDI, 118.8 proof.

Loss of WT 101 aside, I think we're experiencing a young rye Renaissance. I haven't had a bad young Willett rye yet.

cigarnv
05-23-2012, 04:45
A short pour of Hirsch 13YO black wax rye as I grilled up some salmon on the BGE...... It will be a sad day when this bottle runs dry...

AaronWF
05-23-2012, 11:58
On vacation near Myrtle Beach, SC, my carefully packed VWFRR made the trip intact, but it did not fare as well last night. After only pouring himself one drink of the rye (over ice, btw), my cousin went back to his bottle of Rebel Yell for the rest of the evening. There's about 1/4 of the VWFRR left today. Usually, I pour from many bottle in an evening, and I wasn't really aware that it can add up to 3/4 of a bottle...

The RY actually wasn't that bad. The small taste I had of it was not offensive. Wasn't very good (reminded me of a younger, more paint thinner-y Maker's), but it wasn't as nasty as I've been led to believe.

The VWFRR was, of course, really, really good. I would have preferred to drink less of it last night, but whattaya gonna do?

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-23-2012, 21:57
Well done, Aaron. Well done.

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

I might suggest the term: "AaronWF'd."

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!

unclebunk
05-24-2012, 06:52

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!

Willett 24!? Wedding in a few weeks? Congrats, Soda-man. Have fun and best wishes to you and your partner!

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-24-2012, 08:09
Thanks. It's June 30, and I'm marrying up, as they say. By which I mean she's smarter and better looking than me. So I'm a lucky dude.

We're working on the cocktail menu now. Future sister-in-law made a rhubarb shrub that pairs deliciously with the Party Source Willett 5 year, so that may be the rye my guests will be enjoying Summer 2012.

LostBottle
05-24-2012, 08:46
Soda, congratulations on the wedding and condolences on that bottle of Willett 24 that will be emptied. Wait, is that the other way around,...condolences on the wedding and congrats on the Willett? Now I'm confusing myself.:lol: Just kidding, congratulations on both and best wishes to you and your future wife.

LostBottle
05-25-2012, 19:25
I just poured a Rittenhouse 100 in honor of my 100th post.

clingman71
05-25-2012, 20:45

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

CaptainQ
05-25-2012, 22:49
I just poured a Rittenhouse 100 in honor of my 100th post.

Congrats Will. Glad to have you here.

:toast:

Tico
05-26-2012, 14:36
Dipped into some vintage 21 last night. Damn fine stuff, probably one of my favorite ryes right behind VWFRR.

smokinjoe
05-26-2012, 14:44
A bit of Knob Creek Rye to get my palate primed before we head out for Thai food.

jtexaslonestar
05-26-2012, 18:05
Enjoying a pour of Willet 4 yr 110 Single Barrel Rye after an excellent meal and putting the boy to bed.

weller_tex
05-26-2012, 18:46
Enjoying a pour of Willet 4 yr 110 Single Barrel Rye after an excellent meal and putting the boy to bed.
Just picked up my 2nd bottle of the 4 year/110 Willett Rye yesterday. Man it is great stuff!

awachatz
05-26-2012, 18:48
Drinking some baby Saz, once it is done that's it. I will switch to THH. It is much better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

AaronWF
05-26-2012, 20:23

Well there are certainly worse practices of which to have a term coined in your honor. Thanks for the nod!

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 07:35
Really enjoying the Willett 5YO rye that is drinking IMO extremely well. Paired a bit up with Bernheim Red cap for a very refreshing rye and ginger..

jtexaslonestar
05-28-2012, 16:03
Just poured a HW21 rocky mtn rye after a long day at work. Already planning my next pour since tomorrow looks even longer.

spy247
05-28-2012, 21:58
Just cracked open a bottle of Saz 18. Judging by previous comments I better drink this fast :lol:

Trey Manthey
05-29-2012, 09:29
We almost killed my new bottle of High West Rendezvous at a BBQ yesterday. I didn't think it would be that popular, honestly. After the first pour went so quickly, I was happy that people liked it. After everyone took a hearty second pour, I thought, "Well, now I know what to get these guys for presents." After the third pours went around, and people were getting a little too rowdy, I hid the bottle. :bigeyes:

All of this is a testament to how smooth, delicious, and drinkable this juice is. Very impressed at how much it improved after being open for a few weeks. At first open I didn't like it that much, due to a pronounced "fresh mown grass" nose, but now it's just sublime. Definitely going to pick up another bottle.

Happyhour24x7
05-29-2012, 10:34
I broke into a bottle of the Leopold's Maryland style rye after reading some comments on here. I have to agree with the other tasters- this is a nice pour, smooth, but with a unique character. looking forward to trying it in some cocktails.

Phil T
05-29-2012, 17:11
Started out with some Willett CS 5yr, then some Baby Saz, and finishing up with some HW Son of Bourye. The Saz tastes bland compared to the other 2.

ethangsmith
05-29-2012, 18:03
Not much of a high-roller here. Been enjoying my first bottle of Bulleit Rye. Pretty interesting stuff!

Also like the new Knob Creek rye. A good stand-in for the Wild Turkey 101 rye.

cigarnv
05-29-2012, 21:48
Not much of a high-roller here. Been enjoying my first bottle of Bulleit Rye. Pretty interesting stuff!

Also like the new Knob Creek rye. A good stand-in for the Wild Turkey 101 rye.

I tried the Bulleit rye a few times and it always seems to have very forward mint notes... are you seeing the big mint in the bottle you have?

jtexaslonestar
05-30-2012, 19:12
Just poured a HW21 rocky mtn rye after a long day at work. Already planning my next pour since tomorrow looks even longer.

Any more of these long-@$$ days and I won't have any HW21 left to drink!!!:bigeyes:

Luna56
06-04-2012, 22:35
For my birthday my wife presented me with a 2011 Handy that she's bought and his last year. It's a little bitter up front but some time in the glass has definitely mellowed it a bit and it's getting round and mellow. Huge flavors in there, too.

Time for another pour.

Cheers!

2highcal
06-05-2012, 07:06
Just trying the Woodinville Whiskey Co rye release. @ 92 proof it is very smooth and a bit more forward and bold in flavors than the Sazarac but not as much as the Handy (obviously) All in all a very enjoyable pour.

jtexaslonestar
06-08-2012, 20:33
Sitting on the porch with a nice glass of HW Rendezvous Rye. Love the HW product line but I may have to pour my SB blend next!:cool:

smokinjoe
06-08-2012, 22:20
Continuing to love on the KC Rye, tonight. Big and spicy. This ain't no regular Beam Rye. Is it a bump in age? Is it the bump in proof? I don't know, but whatever it is, it works for me. This is a terrific rye.

PaulO
06-09-2012, 08:35
I found some Willett straight rye. This time it's 3 year old, 110 proof. The 3 year has a bit less of the apricot taste and thick mouthfeel (compared to the 2 year old I had before). These are all numbered single barrel releases, so they are similar, but not exactly the same. Barrel proof rye is hard to beat.

BFerguson
06-09-2012, 19:59
LIttle Saz Jr. to wind down the evening. THis would be one of my favorite everyday pours it is was more readily available. But, that's the reason to put away when the going is good on this.

B

LostBottle
06-09-2012, 20:30
Continuing to love on the KC Rye, tonight. Big and spicy.

Big and spicy is great news and a step in a different direction compared to the other rye swill they have produced. Did Beam finally gets its act together, or are they sourcing this stuff?

Ejmharris
06-09-2012, 20:47
Big and spicy is great news and a step in a different direction compared to the other rye swill they have produced. Did Beam finally gets its act together, or are they sourcing this stuff?

It's beam juice. 5-9 years old.

jtexaslonestar
06-09-2012, 21:30
Just finished a pour of HW 21yr on a nice rainy prelude to the deluge to come....hopefully.:cool: Ultra-aged ryes are known to fall off a bit after opening but, this bottle has gotten better.

smokinjoe
06-09-2012, 23:04

To me, the KC Rye is a quantum leap forward for Beam in their ryes. And, there is no reason to think that this is not Beam produced whiskey. This rye is definitely on my "Best Whiskey Event of 2012" short-list.

smokinjoe
06-10-2012, 17:19
Yeah, other ryes have been vying for, and in fact, stealing my attention lately. But sipping on this Baby Saz right now, I am quickly reminded of the one I truly have eyes for. What a wonderful rye whiskey this is.

clingman71
06-10-2012, 20:06
Vintage 21 for the Madmen finale.

kyrocklover
06-10-2012, 21:25
Wild Turkey 101. :grin:

Old Lamplighter
06-12-2012, 20:42
My first Bowman TPS rye is getting pretty darn low after tonite's pour...good thing I've got a couple more bunkered. I broke this back out last week at about the 33% remaining mark after having placed it in the back shelf reserves after the holidays in January. Quite honestly, it has leveled out very, very nicely with little or no loss of power. It was great when first opened and absolutely fabulous now with several new fruit flavors to note.
:drink: :drink:

LostBottle
06-16-2012, 16:18
Sitting here reading a book enjoying a pour of Wild Turkey 101 Rye. I have none bunkered so this bottle is a slow goodbye to a good lower-tier rye.

JayMonster
06-16-2012, 22:11
Been doing a number on a bottle of Bulleit Rye these past couple of days.

Really surprised at just how much I have been enjoying this.

Bourbon Boiler
06-19-2012, 18:26
Opening a bottle of RR6 Rye as I type this from my hotel room. It struck me at the liquor store that I've never even tried this before.

boss302
06-20-2012, 00:22
The Bulleit Rye is more of a "Monongehela Rye" than almost anything else on the market at the moment. Having been raised in Western Pennsylvania, I quickly developed a connection to it, and it is now a staple of my collection. I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek Rye, and I enjoy it-- but the Bulleit Rye is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the words "Rye Whiskey!"

Whiskey Willie
06-20-2012, 12:50
I just finished a bottle of Bulleit rye, first one I've gone through. I like it.

Young Blacksmith
06-20-2012, 15:38
I picked up a WTR 101 for the bunker and a baby sazerac.

darylld911
06-20-2012, 18:10
I was happy to find a bottle of Willet 4 yo rye a couple of weeks ago, and on special occasions I break out the 2011 Thomas H. Handy (by far my favorite rye of all time!)

BFerguson
06-20-2012, 19:52
Willet 4yr. Still my favorite everyday rye. Man it was a good barrel.
B

LostBottle
06-20-2012, 23:00
Vintage 21 - on most nights this is the one to beat. However, I am tasting more wood in this whiskey than I normally do; the exact reason I don't like the V23. This goes to show that my palate does change on certain days. I have experienced days where whiskeys were so good I wanted to cry and some days where top shelf selections tasted as good as Rebel Yell.

boss302
06-25-2012, 00:52
I can't find Sazerac 6-year in PA anymore, so now I'm drinking KC Rye and Bulleit Rye.

boss302
06-25-2012, 00:54
Vintage 21 - on most nights this is the one to beat. However, I am tasting more wood in this whiskey than I normally do; the exact reason I don't like the V23. This goes to show that my palate does change on certain days. I have experienced days where whiskeys were so good I wanted to cry and some days where top shelf selections tasted as good as Rebel Yell.

For what it's worth, I don't find anything glaringly-wrong with Rebel Yell, except that it seems a little "under-developed"-- like a "late blooming" girl who hasn't filled-out in the hips and thighs just yet.

sailor22
06-25-2012, 06:58

Isn't it interesting how that works. It can be really frustrating sometimes, but it's so good when it's right that it makes up for the disappointments. I think sometimes you just need to give your palate time to acclimate. Yesterday I was looking forward to an evening pour of a favorite Bourbon but it really tasted off on the first sip or two. It got better each sip and by the time I finished it, it had become the old friend I remembered.