PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from New Orleans

Trey Manthey
03-27-2012, 09:40
Good morning,

I've been a whiskey fan as long as I've been drinking, and I've always had a taste for the nicer stuff. For the past 7 years or so it's mostly been single malt scotches, but my taste for good American whiskey has been growing lately. I can attribute that directly to a bottle of Sazerac 18 that I got as a gift in 2005.

I've found New Orleans is not a big bourbon town, despite the infamous street. There are some decent stores, but I get jealous when I read about all the great finds that are popping up in other parts of the country.

My favorites range from the cheap (Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Baby Saz) to the expensive (WLW, GTS, JPRS17). As much as I'd like to try some PVW, I've never seen a bottle on the shelf without an exorbitant markup.

Anyway, looking to start learning and contributing.

thanks,

Trey

dean_martin
03-27-2012, 15:49
Good morning,

I've been a whiskey fan as long as I've been drinking, and I've always had a taste for the nicer stuff. For the past 7 years or so it's mostly been single malt scotches, but my taste for good American whiskey has been growing lately. I can attribute that directly to a bottle of Sazerac 18 that I got as a gift in 2005.

I've found New Orleans is not a big bourbon town, despite the infamous street. There are some decent stores, but I get jealous when I read about all the great finds that are popping up in other parts of the country.

My favorites range from the cheap (Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Baby Saz) to the expensive (WLW, GTS, JPRS17). As much as I'd like to try some PVW, I've never seen a bottle on the shelf without an exorbitant markup.

Anyway, looking to start learning and contributing.

thanks,

Trey

Welcome! New Orleans is one of my family's favorite destinations - not too far to drive and plenty of fun stuff to do over a long weekend.

berto
03-27-2012, 17:43
Welcome.

NOLA is one of my favorite places.

JayMonster
03-27-2012, 19:24
Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately, you burst what I was hoping was going to be a fun bourbon trip when I come down to NOLA for a trade show later this year. But I guess it is better to know that now.

But I digress, Looking around here, you will almost certainly find enough to keep you interested that while it still may be difficult to score a Pappy without a huge markup, there will be enough new things to pique your interests that you will have more than enough great stuff to try... Look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Janko
03-27-2012, 19:26
Welcome...

Some wonderful places to pick up Bourbon in the big easy. Just have to think outside the box.

jtexaslonestar
03-27-2012, 19:57
Welcome! Like the others, I have NEVER had a bad time in NOLA! However, Venice, La. may have replaced it as my favorite place in La. :grin: See ya around!

dean_martin
03-27-2012, 21:49
Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately, you burst what I was hoping was going to be a fun bourbon trip when I come down to NOLA for a trade show later this year. But I guess it is better to know that now.

Before you go, run a search here for bars/hangouts in NOLA. I found some great recommendations. The Bourbon House Oyster Bar has a good selection of bourbons. The Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel serves mighty fine Sazerac cocktails. There's a place on St. Charles that has very good bar food and a large selection of beers. Many other spots have been recommended.

Trey Manthey
03-28-2012, 07:07
Don't get me wrong, there are many great bars here. Dean, I think the Avenue Pub is the bar on St. Charles you are referring to. And yes, I credit the Sazerac bar with reinstilling interest in the eponymous cocktail. Before the Roosevelt opened its renovated doors, it was hard to find any bartender in NOLA that could make a decent one.

I haven't tried the Bourbon House yet, but after finding this link on their website, and seeing the banner image at top, I think I'll have to swing by:
http://bourbonhouse.com/bourbon.html

I'd also recommend a few other places to potential visitors:

Bar Tonique - Great cocktails on the edge of the Quarter
DBA - Frenchman St., very good whiskey selection and live music
The Cure - Great cocktails, whiskey, and small plates.
Napoleon House - Classic New Orleans bar & restaurant. Nothing fancy, but I still love to go here on a summer afternoon and knock back a few. Had my first Sazerac here, and I still think they make them the best in town, although it has to be made by a specific bartender.

ratcheer
03-28-2012, 09:34
Before the Roosevelt opened its renovated doors, it was hard to find any bartender in NOLA that could make a decent one.

I had a stunningly delicious Sazerac at K. Paul's about two years ago. And a very good one at NOLA (the restaurant, not the airport).

Oh, I also welcome you to SB.com.

Tim

Young Blacksmith
03-28-2012, 14:45
Keep the Sazerac suggestions coming, I'm making a pilgrimage around the beginning of October.

Had my first Sazerac at the Napoleon House too a few years ago.

DaveOfAtl
03-28-2012, 15:22
I am partial to the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone. They make a great Sazerac. The Vieux Carre was also created there. A classic New Orleans bar.

DAM
03-28-2012, 20:29
Don't get me wrong, there are many great bars here. Dean, I think the Avenue Pub is the bar on St. Charles you are referring to. And yes, I credit the Sazerac bar with reinstilling interest in the eponymous cocktail. Before the Roosevelt opened its renovated doors, it was hard to find any bartender in NOLA that could make a decent one.

I haven't tried the Bourbon House yet, but after finding this link on their website, and seeing the banner image at top, I think I'll have to swing by:
http://bourbonhouse.com/bourbon.html

I'd also recommend a few other places to potential visitors:

Bar Tonique - Great cocktails on the edge of the Quarter
DBA - Frenchman St., very good whiskey selection and live music
The Cure - Great cocktails, whiskey, and small plates.
Napoleon House - Classic New Orleans bar & restaurant. Nothing fancy, but I still love to go here on a summer afternoon and knock back a few. Had my first Sazerac here, and I still think they make them the best in town, although it has to be made by a specific bartender.

These are great recommendations. Hit them all on my last trip. I'd also recommend the bars at Restaurant August and The Polo Club Lounge in the Windsor Court Hotel for pre dinner cocktails.