PDA

View Full Version : What are your reasonably priced gems?

Stormeh
03-29-2012, 18:00
Hey guys,

I'm a relatively new whiskey drinker (a couple years) and new to the forum, but I've really been enjoying my time here. Recently, the WT Rye thread and the "mind=blown" thread have had me trying some lowish priced Bourbons/Ryes that are very, very good (OWA, WT Rye.) This started me thinking: What other low priced gems have I missed? What do you guys consider the best bang for your buck whiskies?

Another question sparked by the announcement of OWA being discontinued: What whiskies being made today are you guys bunkering as the great dusties of tomorrow?

Stormeh

Young Blacksmith
03-29-2012, 18:30
Elijah Craig 12 - age stated, great taste, what more is there to say? Probably going to kill this bottle tonight, and it will be replaced ASAP.

Very Old Barton 86 - same as above. I like it better than the VOB 100 I have tried. Does not smell like bananas to me.

I only bunker dusties right now, so nothing that's currently being produced. I do have a 4R1B and a Woodford Reserve held over for my girls when they turn 21 in about 17 to 20 years.

Hershmeister
03-29-2012, 18:52
Elijah Craig 18 has got to be one of the best values for such an old bourbon. It's in the mid to high 50s in my area (Nashville). Other comparable aged bourbons are easily hitting the 70-100 range.

JayMonster
03-29-2012, 19:54
Do a search for value pour and/or QPR in the title and you will find a plethora of threads on this topic. Of course what you consider "value" or "reasonable" varies greatly from person to person.

That being said, I am hard pressed to come up with a better bang for your buck than OWA. There are things that are cheaper, but the drinkability comes into question more than the savings is worth. (in my less than humble opinion of course)

At the slightly higher range, WTRB and KCSB are my goto bottles. (It is nice to get barrel strength flavor without having to ORVW 10/107 would be there if it was a bit easier to obtain. pay a fortune for it.)

LostBottle
03-29-2012, 20:01
High West Rendezvous Rye - better than many bottles double its price.

Lazer
03-29-2012, 20:05
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled In Bond. EC12. Old Grand Dad 114. :cool:

Parkersback
03-29-2012, 20:18
RittBIB
EC12
OE 7/101
Weller 12
OGDBIB (ND if you can find it, but Beam's not bad at all)
Any of the Heaven Hill BIB's

trumpstylz
03-29-2012, 20:22
Reasonably priced-

Rye- willett single barrel rye, rittenhouse 100 prf or wild turkey 101 proof.

Bourb- Very old barton 100 prf, evan williams 100 proof, heavenhill 100 proof (either color)

Stormeh
03-29-2012, 20:27
How are the current Old Fitz, any bottling?

Clavius
03-29-2012, 20:48
VOB BIB for sure
Weller 7yr (or at least, it used to be 7yr!)

pfiest
03-30-2012, 11:06
The current Old Fitz BIB is terrible in my opinion. Even as a mixer I can't mask the "dirty" taste and harshness.

c2walker
03-30-2012, 15:00
Virgin Bourbon 101. A steal at $11.95 ($10.95 on sale)!

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 16:17
Buffalo Trace
Old Grand Dad

Just can speak in terms of , though...

grubbster
03-30-2012, 16:24
Buffalo Trace
Old Grand Dad

Those are good deals in $ also!

dridge11
03-30-2012, 16:35
For me, it's ORVW 10/107. It's got age, higher proof, and it's $35-$40.

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 16:39
I can't compare the prices...for me, Johnny Drum/Ezra Brooks/Evan Williams/most of the Beam stuff is under 20 , which I would consider still "cheap"...the WT Rare Breed is in Germany 23, and it is a very good bourbon, but still hard to get...so, it depends. :cool:

I thought bourbon is a lot cheaper in the US???

JayMonster
03-30-2012, 16:41
Buffalo Trace
Old Grand Dad

Been on the fence with BT, as when it is on, it is very good... But the problem is that I need to qualify it because it seems inconsistent. One bottle, the next tastes like crewing on your lawn, or just downright musty tasting.

And I realize I am fairly alone on this (around here anyway). But I just don't get what people like about OGD.

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 16:46
OGD - I first bought it cuz it was Bukowskis favourite bourbon...then I really got used to it, and then I realized, that OGD has a very special taste. Maybe it is just my personal experience, but I always had the feeling that OGD is an old fashioned bourbon. I like the idea: sippin a OGD, listening to Tom Waits and feelin' like it's the Beat Generation...sounds silly, I know...but, I guess, you get it...:lol:

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 16:50
"For me, it's ORVW 10/107. It's got age, higher proof, and it's $35-$40"

This is the best bourbon I have ever tasted. I still have two bottles left which I will not open til it's my last day, probably. It is up to 50 bucks () a bottle, when available (!) - NOTHIN to share with your friends at least!:cool:

dridge11
03-30-2012, 17:20
This is the best bourbon I have ever tasted. I still have two bottles left which I will not open til it's my last day, probably. It is up to 50 bucks () a bottle, when available (!) - NOTHIN to share with your friends at least!:cool:

I share everything with friends, that is the most fun part!

stiffchainey
03-30-2012, 17:24
Sure, it was meant as a joke, you know...it is pretty hard, because in europe everybody is going nuts about malt whiskey. Bourbon is pretty much non existent.

JayMonster
03-30-2012, 17:29
For me, it's ORVW 10/107. It's got age, higher proof, and it's $35-$40.

Now this is an excellent example of the questions when it comes to QPR. (for those of you playing along at home and wanted a better example than I gave earlier about QPR, not necessarily at dridge11, though I thank him for the example).

ORVW 10/107 vs OWA NAS/107

I will not dispute that most people feel (most likely because of age) that the ORVW is better than OWA... but is it TWICE as good, considering it costs about twice as much as OWA.

I am not going to answer it, because where it fits along the QPR line is entirely up to you.

dridge11
03-30-2012, 18:00
Fair enough, just offering another suggestion. ORVW and OWA are my biggest bunker holdings, love them both and think they are both good deals for the money. Can't wait to try the SB OWA/Weller12 blend.

JayMonster
03-30-2012, 18:12
Fair enough, just offering another suggestion. ORVW and OWA are my biggest bunker holdings, love them both and think they are both good deals for the money. Can't wait to try the SB OWA/Weller12 blend.

I understand... and I completely agree. After I mentioned QPR earlier and gave a more generic example I got a few PMs for a more specific example, and when you brought up ORVW, I thought it made a good example.

Personally, I like both as well, and would happily drink more ORVW 10/107 if it wasn't so damn hard to find.

sob0728
03-30-2012, 18:57
For under $20 I like: Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12, and Maker's Mark.

For under $30 I like: 1792, ORVW 10/90, Elmer T Lee, and Woodford Reserve.

deathevocation
03-31-2012, 03:03

Yeah, that's a nice drop.

trumpstylz
03-31-2012, 11:08
I can't compare the prices...for me, Johnny Drum/Ezra Brooks/Evan Williams/most of the Beam stuff is under 20 , which I would consider still "cheap"...the WT Rare Breed is in Germany 23, and it is a very good bourbon, but still hard to get...so, it depends. :cool:

I thought bourbon is a lot cheaper in the US???

yeah, it sounds like you're getting pretty decent prices over there in germany. Especially on the rare breed. Even with the weaker dollar, you might still be betting a better deal than the 40 dollar cost that We pay around here.

stiffchainey
03-31-2012, 12:28
Yeah, not too bad. I have a very good online retailer, who has around 350 brands on the shelve, so I still have always something new to try...:lol:

Photodudems
03-31-2012, 19:13
Depending on what you can get locally, there is a lot out there for less than $30.

Personally, my favorite bottle in that category is Evan William BIB (white label, 100 proof). A 750 of that can be had for $13 in VA. Best of the EW line in my book.

Other than that, Wild Turkey 101, Four Roses yellow label, and for just a bit more cash, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve (yes, I do like it), and Knob Creek become available.

I've personally not yet spent more than $35 for a bottle, but I'm quite happy with what I can get on that budget.

Happy hunting!

Stormeh
03-31-2012, 21:41
Thanks a lot for the suggestions all. I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be making a big value purchase soon. :grin:

Any thoughts on Old Fitz Very Special?

BourbonGuy
04-01-2012, 05:46
BenchMark for $7.50

PaulO
04-01-2012, 07:38
Here are a couple good ones for under $20; Old Forester Signature 100, and Fighting Cock 103. Both of these taste to me like they could be more expensive whiskey. Also consider anything with a label that says "bottled in bond", or "bonded". For example; JTS Brown, or Very Old Barton. Make sure to get the 100, not the 80.

JayMonster
04-01-2012, 09:08
Here are a couple good ones for under $20; Old Forester Signature 100, and Fighting Cock 103. Both of these taste to me like they could be more expensive whiskey. Also consider anything with a label that says "bottled in bond", or "bonded". For example; JTS Brown, or Very Old Barton. Make sure to get the 100, not the 80.

There is nothing magical about bonded whiskey. Bonded junk is still junk. (Not saying all bonded is junk, but if it is lousy whiskey, bonding isn't going to help it).

AaronWF
04-01-2012, 14:20
There is nothing magical about bonded whiskey. Bonded junk is still junk. (Not saying all bonded is junk, but if it is lousy whiskey, bonding isn't going to help it).

I don't know about that. True, it's not magical, but there aren't many [any?] companies that go the lengths required to produce a bonded product that could be called throw-away junk. I agree with Paul that BiB is a good thing to look for when seeking a bargain.

It's a lot harder to hide an unpleasant profile in a bonded whiskey.

mrviognier
04-01-2012, 15:05
AAA 10, JW Dant BiB, 4R SB, Pure Kentucky, Barton BiB, ETL, Johnny Drum Res...

bigtoys
04-01-2012, 16:33
Eagle Rare 10 yr old

Kalessin
04-01-2012, 18:26
I'd bypass the Four Roses Yellow Label and go straight to the Small Batch. Great whiskey for only a few bucks more, and readily available. Many SB'ers seem to find the Yellow Label a little thin and lacking on flavor.

Of course, you can keep climbing that "just a few bucks more" ladder with Four Roses Single Barrel and the Limited Editions, but the prices for those are a little outside "value pour" range...

ILLfarmboy
04-01-2012, 18:47
I don't know about that. True, it's not magical, but there aren't many [any?] companies that go the lengths required to produce a bonded product that could be called throw-away junk. I agree with Paul that BiB is a good thing to look for when seeking a bargain.

Indeed, and I suspect that's the reason Bonding was created; the product of a single distiller in a single season at 'full' proof........ makes it far more difficult to blend away barrels with significant off flavors. Over time this should mean a more consistent, and consistently good, product than your typical "cat and dog" labels.

boneuphtoner
04-01-2012, 19:30
EC12 - when it is on sale, there is nothing out there that beats this in bang for your buick. It still is a reasonably priced gem at regular price.

ETL - as good or better than Blantons IMHO at half the price.

Rittenhouse BIB - it has been mentioned a million times before, and I'm in complete agreement.

OWA - hope the rumors aren't true

Pikesville Rye - when on sale, less than $8 a bottle. I like to call it Baby Rittenhouse, as it is the same formula, aged a little less, and cut to 80 proof. For a bottom shelf pour, I don't think you can do better.

JayMonster
04-01-2012, 19:42

It really depends on what you call "junk." For example, I personally do not care for OGD, and I don't think bonding changes that.

JayMonster
04-01-2012, 19:49
Indeed, and I suspect that's the reason Bonding was created; the product of a single distiller in a single season at 'full' proof........ makes it far more difficult to blend away barrels with significant off flavors. Over time this should mean a more consistent, and consistently good, product than your typical "cat and dog" labels.

Actually, Bonding was started to quash fake products, bonding guaranteed you were getting wjat was on the label. In reality it is a fairly antiquated process. In theory every "single barrel" could in most cases quailfy for Bonding of the distiller wished to do so. But theu don't bother because most people don't even have a clue wha"Bottled in Bond" means, let alone care.

ILLfarmboy
04-01-2012, 20:44
Actually, Bonding was started to quash fake products, bonding guaranteed you were getting wjat was on the label. In reality it is a fairly antiquated process. In theory every "single barrel" could in most cases quailfy for Bonding of the distiller wished to do so. But theu don't bother because most people don't even have a clue wha"Bottled in Bond" means, let alone care.

You're right. I was forgetting my history and all the shenanigans the rectifiers were up to back in the days pre-1894(?) Bottled in Bond Act. How could I have forgotten? The BIB act was, I think, the first consumer protection legislation. In some ways you could look at it as a harbinger of the Pure food And Drug Act of 1906.

Brisko
04-01-2012, 20:55
The BIB act was, I think, the first consumer protection legislation. In some ways you could look at it as a harbinger of the Pure food And Drug Act of 1906.

This is how I explain it to my non-bourbon-nerd friends.

But your earlier point is accurate. You can't hide bad barrels in a BiB.

Restaurant man
04-01-2012, 22:38
This is how I explain it to my non-bourbon-nerd friends.

But your earlier point is accurate. You can't hide bad barrels in a BiB.

Only 4 seasons in a year. A lot of distillation can occur in a season. Some could be weak barrels blended in. Also one of the big guys recently f'ed up and blended 8 and 11 year old whiskeys in a "BOB" and then lied about it. I won't mention any names But....

p_elliott
04-02-2012, 07:39
Only 4 seasons in a year. A lot of distillation can occur in a season. Some could be weak barrels blended in. Also one of the big guys recently f'ed up and blended 8 and 11 year old whiskeys in a "BOB" and then lied about it. I won't mention any names But....

As for BIB there are only two distilling seasons spring and fall.

soad
04-02-2012, 08:25

Walked out of a NC ABC store this weekend with a bottle of Virgin 101 and Mellow Corn for under $22. Talk about a steal!

It made me forget about my OWA depression for awhile.

Brisko
04-02-2012, 10:39

As Paul pointed out, there are only two distilling seasons... and with a non-BiB you can do a lot with say 90% 4 y/o and maybe 10% older stock. But, whatever.

What evidence do you have for your other claim? The last I heard was what I've quoted below, do you have other info?

Well, I just heard officially from Buffalo Trace and even they chided me for not catching it sooner.

The "married into a single batch" line was a mistake by the press release writer, who is very sorry. In fact, it was bottled in several batches, according to distilling season, and is, therefore, BIB.

JayMonster
04-02-2012, 10:48
As Paul pointed out, there are only two distilling seasons... and with a non-BiB you can do a lot with say 90% 4 y/o and maybe 10% older stock. But, whatever.

What evidence do you have for your other claim? The last I heard was what I've quoted below, do you have other info?

There is still plenty of distilling that can go on in a season (regardless of whether it is two or four seasons per year). Meaning as Restaurant Man points out, there is still room for some "weak barrels" to be blended into a batch.

Of course, this isn't really what I was going after when I pulled this thread off on this tangent. It is probably my fault for using the word "junk" but I simply meant, if you don't like how a particular Bourbon tastes, it probably isn't going to suddenly be good (in your eyes) simply because it is Bonded.

Brisko
04-02-2012, 10:53
I think the "same season" aspect probably had more to do with taxation than quality, anyway.

PaulO
04-02-2012, 16:20
My main reason to suggest bonded whiskey is; to keep a person from wasting time and money on the 80-86 proof no age statement bottom shelf stuff. If you like a bonded whiskey from a given distillery, then you can rationalize trying some of their higher end labels. :grin:

p_elliott
04-03-2012, 08:57
There is still plenty of distilling that can go on in a season (regardless of whether it is two or four seasons per year). Meaning as Restaurant Man points out, there is still room for some "weak barrels" to be blended into a batch.

Of course, this isn't really what I was going after when I pulled this thread off on this tangent. It is probably my fault for using the word "junk" but I simply meant, if you don't like how a particular Bourbon tastes, it probably isn't going to suddenly be good (in your eyes) simply because it is Bonded.

Bottled in Bond doesn't mean quality like it did a century and a half ago. When the BIB act was enacted it was the first consumer protection act ever established it in the words of Joe Biden was a fucking big deal. In the 1800's bourbon sellers did all kinds of things to bourbon that they bought from the distilleries up to and including putting acid in it. The bottle and Bond act insured that you got a good quality bourbon from the distillery just like it came from the distillery with nothing added or cut. Most bourbons today are better than BIB that says a lot about the industry. But BIB is the gold standard that the industry was set on since E H Taylor.

apripom
04-07-2012, 16:56
Ancient Ancient Ancient Age (AAA) 10 Year. Kentucky Only release. I made the mistake of returning to CHI with [only] a single 750 ml bottle. Delicious.

Jono
04-07-2012, 18:02
Henry McKenna...just love it, especially as a dessert pour.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-191894-0000-henry-mckenna-sour-mash-straight-bourbon-whiskey-kentucky-usa

It has seen a price jump.

http://www.liquormart.com/liquor/henry-mckenna-bourbon-whiskey.html

Interesting story.."Henry McKenna brought his family's whiskey recipe with him from Ireland in 1837 and settled in Fairfield, Kentucky, founding his distillery there in 1855. He soon adapted his techniques to the local Kentucky grains, particularly corn, and began producing what became known as Kentucky's Finest Table Whiskey." I wonder what his orginal recipe was ..i.e. barley....vs the corn change in grain. How much of the original recipe remains? Was it primarily production technique vs recipe?

apripom
04-08-2012, 04:10
My bad - I appended an extra "Ancient" in my recommendation. AAA 10 yr is a gem.

ethangsmith
04-08-2012, 06:37
My list of great values:

Old Ezra 101 7yo
Ezra Brooks 90pf
Johnny Drum Private Stock
Old Grand Dad 100 or 114
Fighting Cock
Elijah Craig 12 or 18
Old Forester Signature
Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
Mellow Corn BIB
George Dickel 12
Rittenhouse BIB
Pikesville Rye
Wild Turkey 101 Rye

2highcal
04-08-2012, 13:28
I would say VOB BIB and Old Ezra are the 2 I would say for under 20

lrochau
04-08-2012, 13:44
Down in Houston on business for a stretch so I'm able to find Old Charter 10 for $12.99 just about anywhere. Great cheap pour IMO. Store that had pints of OC 12 has sold out. Welles 12 down here is $19.99 as well.

Kyjd75
04-08-2012, 13:49
My bad - I appended an extra "Ancient" in my recommendation. AAA 10 yr is a gem.

x2

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2ic5mu

tigerlam92
04-08-2012, 15:54
"reasonably priced gems"

It was PVW Lot B.

Cheers
--Hugh

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-15-2012, 18:08
I'd bypass the Four Roses Yellow Label and go straight to the Small Batch. Great whiskey for only a few bucks more, and readily available. Many SB'ers seem to find the Yellow Label a little thin and lacking on flavor.

Of course, you can keep climbing that "just a few bucks more" ladder with Four Roses Single Barrel and the Limited Editions, but the prices for those are a little outside "value pour" range...

Only a few bucks more for the small batch? That sounds good. I would expect to find that around X3 or X4 the Yellow Label here in Japan.

CoMobourbon
04-20-2012, 18:47
I find that my reasonably priced gems are whiskies of opportunity rather than permanent values. Prices for the same whiskey fluctuate enough between stores or between different weeks at the same store that my best approach to value bourbon (which right now is pretty much all of my bourbon) is simply buying what's on sale. (unless, I guess, if you especially dislike the whiskey at hand, which for me doesn't happen very often) For example, I walked into my local Hyvee liquor and wine store with every intention of walking out with some normally priced WSR or Dickel 12 but quickly changed my mind when I saw FRY listed at $12.50 and WT101 at $16.50. In an instant, FRY and WT101 became my reasonably priced gems.

nocoins
04-21-2012, 21:55
I find that my reasonably priced gems are whiskies of opportunity rather than permanent values. Prices for the same whiskey fluctuate enough between stores or between different weeks at the same store that my best approach to value bourbon (which right now is pretty much all of my bourbon) is simply buying what's on sale.

I agree with this. That's how, at less than $20 per bottle, a case of MM46 became my favorite very good yet relatively cheap drink. Wait for sales. Over the course of a year, several great opportunities will present themselves. The markup on alcohol is high, so sales can be a lot of fun.

hectic1
04-22-2012, 06:42
My reasonably priced gem is two SB of OWA that are 8yr's old and both have incredible complexity to them...they're both very different bourbons. One has huge caramel and vanilla and the other is spicy with a nutty profile to it! Amazing that these barrels can have the same whiskey in them to start and turn out sooo different! $22 a bottle for a 8/107pr bottle is hard to beat...eat your heart out Baker's! ;)

barrelslime
04-22-2012, 09:46
Iv turned a lot of my Beam drinking friends onto Kessler's, for those on a buidget. They taste identicle and its cheaper than Beam white label.

WhiskyToWhiskey
04-22-2012, 17:40
Been on the fence with BT, as when it is on, it is very good... But the problem is that I need to qualify it because it seems inconsistent. One bottle, the next tastes like crewing on your lawn, or just downright musty tasting.

And I realize I am fairly alone on this (around here anyway). But I just don't get what people like about OGD.

I agree with this. BT gets released once a year to the liquor stores around here. The batch a year ago of BT was average...then this year the batch had a profile similar to blanton's. Picked up my share to stash away

Max Power
04-22-2012, 18:24
I thought Bulleit was pretty good for the money.

p_elliott
04-23-2012, 07:57
Iv turned a lot of my Beam drinking friends onto Kessler's, for those on a buidget. They taste identicle and its cheaper than Beam white label.

Sorry to say this but Kessler's is half whiskey half vodka.

barrelslime
04-23-2012, 08:14
Sorry to say this but Kessler's is half whiskey half vodka.
So?............................

p_elliott
04-23-2012, 08:30
So?............................
I can respond to that one of two ways do some more reading on the site and some more tastings. OR If that's what you like to drink more power to you.

barrelslime
04-23-2012, 08:58
I can respond to that one of two ways do some more reading on the site and some more tastings. OR If that's what you like to drink more power to you.
I dont personally touch the stuff, but when my buddys converge on my camper, they are there to drink hard, fast and without tasting. Thats not my style, but they like Jim Beam and I keep the Kesslers on hand for them to swill. Its no reflection on me at all, just saying if you are on a budget, and want a Beam similar drink, Kesslers is cheaper.

jcg9779
04-23-2012, 09:00
My reasonably priced gem is two SB of OWA that are 8yr's old and both have incredible complexity to them...they're both very different bourbons. One has huge caramel and vanilla and the other is spicy with a nutty profile to it! Amazing that these barrels can have the same whiskey in them to start and turn out sooo different! $22 a bottle for a 8/107pr bottle is hard to beat...eat your heart out Baker's! ;)

Very nice choice, Bob!

shoshani
04-28-2012, 20:03
I dont personally touch the stuff, but when my buddys converge on my camper, they are there to drink hard, fast and without tasting. Thats not my style, but they like Jim Beam and I keep the Kesslers on hand for them to swill. Its no reflection on me at all, just saying if you are on a budget, and want a Beam similar drink, Kesslers is cheaper.
I've had this happen. Many years ago we had some friends over for dinner and one asked me if I had anything to drink. I brought out a bottle of Wild Turkey 12 year old (I *did* say this was many years ago, didn't I?) and watched in horror as he downed the shot I poured for him without even tasting it.

After that, he got the inexpensive no-name private-label 80 proof floor wax I kept around for such guests.

mrviognier
04-28-2012, 20:13
Like my mom used to say, "You give them the books, and they eat the covers".

maskaggs
04-28-2012, 23:18
Ancient Ancient Age 10YO takes the cake for me. Incredible price, incredibly drinkability, incredible flavor.

Clavius
04-29-2012, 19:29
I was going to choose Weller SR. But honestly, I think OGD114 is my reasonably priced "gem." I can get the stuff for like $20.99 which is a steal IMHO considering the proof. I don't buy it very often. But the stuff is pretty damn good despite coming from Beam. :yum:

mosugoji64
04-29-2012, 19:49
Ancient Ancient Age 10YO takes the cake for me. Incredible price, incredibly drinkability, incredible flavor.

Agreed. Just grabbed another bottle while in KY so I can finish the open one without worry.

Luna56
04-29-2012, 21:22
ERSB has been my go to for a mid priced bourbon for a few years now. Last year it was often found here in NH for under twenty bucks on sale. Now the price has crept up into the twenty-two to twenty-five dollar range but for a ten year old single barrel whiskey I don't mind a few extra bucks. ERSB has been mostly a dependable pour. It has been quite variable for a year or two but my current open bottle is very good. I am at this moment verifying my assertions and will most likely confirm them later. :grin:

Cheers!

unclebunk
04-30-2012, 06:59
I still find that Rittenhouse BIB and OWA are my favorite $20 bargains, though they're both now in danger of creeping north of that price.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
05-24-2012, 02:15
EC12, Very old heaven hill (100) anciant anciant age 10yr, devils cut, knob creek (both of em) old gradad 100, old grandad 114, wild turkey 101, old forrester birthday (any) old charter 8yr, weller 107, evan williams single barrel (any). Thats the $10-$30 range i always have on hand around the house

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-24-2012, 09:37
Glad to see these sorts of threads -- even if there are a dozen others saying the same thing, more or less -- still attract passionate interest.

It was a similar thread that helped me find this site, and the thoughtful posts in it that made me stay.

You could even say it changed my life!

My votes are for:

EC12 (keeps getting better IMHO, esp Party Source bottling)
SB Weller Antique / Weller 12 vatting
Ritt BIB
Willett 5 year or equivalent LDI bottlings
VOB BIB

BourbonJoe
05-24-2012, 09:51
My reasonably priced gem is Old Weller Antique. I like wheaters and this one comes in at 107 proof. Good bang for the buck. About $22. Last time I bought it, they were closing it out in PA. Paid $12.73 a bottle. I bought a bunch.
Joe :usflag:

beerfactory
05-24-2012, 10:20
I've been enjoying Mellow Corn, OWA, OGD BIB, EW BL, and since it's turned warmer I've had a few pours of 4R Yellow Label.

All are inexpensive options.

dridge11
05-24-2012, 11:07
Keep reading great things about VOB BIB, need to pick some up next time I come across it.

thezenone
05-24-2012, 14:10
OWA is always a bargain. I actually enjoyed Old Fitzgerald BiB for under $20 as well.

unclebunk
05-24-2012, 14:28
My reasonably priced gem is Old Weller Antique. I like wheaters and this one comes in at 107 proof. Good bang for the buck. About $22. Last time I bought it, they were closing it out in PA. Paid $12.73 a bottle. I bought a bunch.

Hard to argue with that choice and the price really is excellent. Can't even imagine $12.73.:bigeyes: That's a steal!

Max Power
05-24-2012, 15:25
OWA and OGD 114 are my picks. 4RSB for $18.99 is my favorite, but that's only at one random online site.

maskaggs
05-24-2012, 19:08
A few have said it and I'll echo it - Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year (not 10 Star). Amazing drinkability, incredible flavor. One to not pass up if you find it.

Restaurant man
05-24-2012, 19:17
The SB blend of OWA and weller 12 is hard to beat. I usually love the 107 proof point but OWA has always been a good pour but I looove the combo even more. Finished a pour of OWA followed by a rip van winkle 10/107 and the rip won hands down. Cheers
Also I second the grand dad 114 :grin:

Rutherford
05-24-2012, 21:40
OGD BiB (the 114 needs water for me to enjoy), OF Signature, Russell's Reserve (both), FRSmB, VOB BiB, EC12.

Mellow corn is amazing too, but hard to find.

mosugoji64
05-25-2012, 09:12
Keep reading great things about VOB BIB, need to pick some up next time I come across it.

Took a bottle to CA for a friend. His neighbor came over for dinner one evening and tried it. They couldn't stop raving about how good VOB was and ended up emptying the bottle that night, with my help of course! :grin:

WsmataU
05-25-2012, 10:47
Maybe a little on the high side (depending on what you consider a bargain), but I am really starting to like Hancock's Reserve. I bought it at a reliable local shop on the recommendation of the manager. It was OK when I first opened it, nothing special, but probably on par with most $30 bourbon. Then I left it alone for a month or so and on the revisit was very pleasantly surprised how much better it had gotten. This one really opened up and now I think it is one of the top picks in the $30-40 range.

BMartin42
05-25-2012, 10:51
Maybe a little on the high side (depending on what you consider a bargain), but I am really starting to like Hancock's Reserve. I bought it at a reliable local shop on the recommendation of the manager. It was OK when I first opened it, nothing special, but probably on par with most $30 bourbon. Then I left it alone for a month or so and on the revisit was very pleasantly surprised how much better it had gotten. This one really opened up and now I think it is one of the top picks in the $30-40 range.

I bought 4 from the Liquor Barn in Louisville at $29 a pop. It is fantastic at that price point. Ranks just below ETL in my opinion.

Brisko
05-25-2012, 11:08
Looking back over the past year, and what I've purchased vs what I've passed up a second time, my gems are Dickel #12 and OGD BiB in the under $20 range, and OGD 114 in the over $20 range.

That's not to say that there aren't about 10 others that I try to keep in the rotation, but these are ones that I just keep coming back to.

WsmataU
05-25-2012, 19:41
I bought 4 from the Liquor Barn in Louisville at $29 a pop. It is fantastic at that price point. Ranks just below ETL in my opinion.

I see it regularly for $35-37, but at $29 I'd probably buy a stock for friends. I think it has a much deeper flavor profile than ETL.....but I DO love the nose on ETL. I may need to dig up a 15 yr ETL or 90th birthday to do a comparison.

TennesseeWalker
07-01-2012, 22:38
Couldn't call me a whiskey drinker of vast experience; but I've tried quite a few and a favorite "low priced gem" of mine is Old Heaven Hill BIB. $13.50/liter and mighty good bourbon in my view.

BourbonJoe
07-02-2012, 18:16
My pick would be OWA. Great price point to quality ratio IMO.

ebo
07-02-2012, 18:35
I would consider FRSB a reasonably priced gem. I get it for $36.00 and I think it's a steal at that price.

Gillman
07-02-2012, 18:42
Four Roses Yellow Label, also OWA.

smokinjoe
07-03-2012, 06:28
Couldn't call me a whiskey drinker of vast experience; but I've tried quite a few and a favorite "low priced gem" of mine is Old Heaven Hill BIB. $13.50/liter and mighty good bourbon in my view.

That's a great call. It's my from the fridge pour, BTW. It handles chilling wonderfully. Thickens it up, kinda syrupy like. And, still a big enough flavor to take on the chill.
:toast:

T Comp
07-03-2012, 06:36
That's a great call. It's my from the fridge pour, BTW. It handles chilling wonderfully. Thickens it up, kinda syrupy like. And, still a big enough flavor to take on the chill.
:toast:

My garage frig bottle is down about a half liter after the last week of heat and I suspect it may be empty soon :grin:.

JPBoston
07-03-2012, 11:19
OWA and Buffalo Trace for me... very different from each other, which could offer a nice variety even if they're the only two bourbons you have on your shelf.

If we're going up to the $25-$30 range, Knob Creek.

I could take any of those three and be VERY happy. :)