PDA

View Full Version : Saz 18 in the year 2000

BourbonBaron
04-02-2012, 15:22
Before picking up an unexpected Pappy today, I was perusing the store and found two lonely Sazerac 18's. Did a double take when I noticed the bottling date was Summer 2000. This coincides with the first year that expression was bottled, correct? Does anyone have a link to some tasting notes? I am not finding much chatter about this bottling through the search.

Rockefeller
04-02-2012, 16:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqIK7_hbLgQ
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqIK7_hbLgQ)
5:00 mark

jersey12
04-02-2012, 20:06
You took both of those home, right?

BourbonBaron
04-03-2012, 07:32
You took both of those home, right?

Indeed I did. And my apologies on the wording. There were two bottles, but only one of them was from 2000. I have a bad habit of buying any Saz 18 I see on the shelf, regardless of the age. I was just really taken aback to find one that has been sitting around for 12 years, and even more surprised once I realized that was the first release.

Rockefeller
04-03-2012, 08:19
Now if you believe tanking doesn't have an effect on whiskey, then both Saz18s should taste the same. But I would be very interested to see if the Summer2000 has the exact same profile - let us know when you crack it open.

Tico
04-03-2012, 09:14
Now if you believe tanking doesn't have an effect on whiskey, then both Saz18s should taste the same. But I would be very interested to see if the Summer2000 has the exact same profile - let us know when you crack it open.

I'd be more curious to taste a 2005 against a tanked year. Same juice just some additional years in tank vs bottle.

Neat
04-03-2012, 11:17
Before picking up an unexpected Pappy today, I was perusing the store and found two lonely Sazerac 18's. Did a double take when I noticed the bottling date was Summer 2000. This coincides with the first year that expression was bottled, correct? Does anyone have a link to some tasting notes? I am not finding much chatter about this bottling through the search.

congratulations man! the 2000 saz 18 was one of the best whiskies i ever tasted. at least that's how i remember it. i had that as well as the other 2000 btacs (er and wl weller) when they originally came out and i remember i liked the saz 18 the best. the er was second and the wl weller was a distant third - was way too woody. of course i knew nothing about SW back then and i was primarily a scotch drinker back then. picked up a btac er after reading a review, enjoyed it so much, i went back and bought another bottle and picked up the saz and weller just to try them out. of course if i could drink them now and rate them, i'm sure the wl weller 19 yo would be FIRST. :grin:

BFerguson
04-03-2012, 16:23
I have a bad habit of buying any Saz 18 I see on the shelf, regardless of the age.

I don't think anybody here is going to be critiquing you of this particular habit!!. Nice.

B

BourbonBaron
04-05-2012, 10:21
Thanks for the replies, guys. If/when I do crack it, I'll be happy to share more info about it. I'm still kinda flabbergasted that I found it. Makes me want to hit the other stores where I know a bottle or two is sitting out and check the dates. The other bottles I have found since last Fall have all been 2011 or 2010 bottlings.