PDA

View Full Version : Tequila Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Max Power
04-04-2012, 13:26
I saw that the old tequila thread was locked and thought it would be a good idea to open up a new one. I'm fairly new to bourbon, but experienced with tequila. With so many of the tequilas being aged in old bourbon barrels, there can be a lot of similarities found in specific tequila brands.

Don Pilar is one that specifically comes to mind that has a bourbon nose and finish.

Does anyone else here love the agave juice as much as me? And what's your favorite brand to sip?

unclebunk
04-04-2012, 14:41
I'm a fan too and like quite a few different brands but my regulars are El Tesoro Reposado and Herradura Reposado. When I'm drinking loads and don't want to hurt the head and the wallet, I go for Cazadores Reposado and Cazadores Anejo. There are plenty of others but those are the ones that I tend to replace the most.

timd
04-04-2012, 15:39
I enjoy Sotol, Mezcal & Tequila.

I lean towards Mezcal for the richer, smokier flavors than what you get in Tequila. I like Sotol for it's softer, more refined flavors (tends to be slightly lower ABV as well).

My faves are Del Mageuy Mezcals (Chichicapa especially). I like Vida as well for a value entry to premium Mezcal.

Sombra is a pretty smokey mid-shelfer as well with some great flavors and decent ABV.

I've actually found that most Anejos seem "over woody" - despite my love for aged spirits, most of the very aged Agave drinks get a bit rough. Reposado seems to hit the right spot for me.

I really like Milagro, Gran Centanario (I actually really like the hibiscus infused version - which, admittedly is like enjoying Red Gag, but it's actually enjoyable to me), Herradura and Ahmbar isn't bad (but kinda pricey). My favorite cheap one is El Jimador - all three versions are good.

Ejmharris
04-04-2012, 17:18
I will say do really like Tequila but have not ventured out very much. Luther o this board provided some good recommendations to me several weeks ago and plan to go grab some soon. I tend to keep Tequila Ocho in the house to drink when I want Tequila. Although boring, I do still enjoy Patron Reposado when drinking out.

Young Blacksmith
04-04-2012, 18:27
I just found the El Jimador last week too, my wife's the tequila drinker. Imported by our friends at Brown-Foreman.... But I like the taste. Blanco is almost white dogish in a good way.

Max Power
04-04-2012, 18:53
I enjoy Sotol, Mezcal & Tequila.

I lean towards Mezcal for the richer, smokier flavors than what you get in Tequila. I like Sotol for it's softer, more refined flavors (tends to be slightly lower ABV as well).

My faves are Del Mageuy Mezcals (Chichicapa especially). I like Vida as well for a value entry to premium Mezcal.

Sombra is a pretty smokey mid-shelfer as well with some great flavors and decent ABV.

I've actually found that most Anejos seem "over woody" - despite my love for aged spirits, most of the very aged Agave drinks get a bit rough. Reposado seems to hit the right spot for me.

I really like Milagro, Gran Centanario (I actually really like the hibiscus infused version - which, admittedly is like enjoying Red Gag, but it's actually enjoyable to me), Herradura and Ahmbar isn't bad (but kinda pricey). My favorite cheap one is El Jimador - all three versions are good.

I'll agree with you. Although some anejos have great flavor and character, I tend to like reposados a bit more because they hold the agave flavor and spice that I love so much from tequilas.

I need to get into some more mezcals. Sotols are a nice change of pace, but I guess I like the spicy blue agave flavor over the more grassy wild agave.

The best tequilas I have had are:

Corrido
Penca Azul
Clase Azul
Pura vida (for a cheaper one)
JLP President's (for a real value)

Being in Minnesota, I have to get most of them shipped to me. I wish that good tequila selection was as easy to find as bourbon.

Max Power
04-04-2012, 18:57
I will say do really like Tequila but have not ventured out very much. Luther o this board provided some good recommendations to me several weeks ago and plan to go grab some soon. I tend to keep Tequila Ocho in the house to drink when I want Tequila. Although boring, I do still enjoy Patron Reposado when drinking out.

Ocho has a very interesting concept in doing "vintage" tequilas, but because they take agave from different areas each vintage, it's impossible to know what you're going to get the next time. One blanco may be great and the next might be awful. I got the Los Mangos Blanco and it does nothing for me. Way to much earth. It almost tastes dirty. The other blanco 2010 vintage is supposed to be almost overly sweet. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure they'll get enough followers willing to risk multiple times at $50+ a bottle.

Nothing wrong with enjoying Patron. One thing that you might want to try is Avion. It's a step more towards a true tequila from Patron, but still has the really clean and smooth characteristic that makes everyone love Patron. Triple distilled tequilas lose a little in the flavor, but gain in smoothness. It's a personal preference thing. I like both.

Gillman
04-04-2012, 19:45
I rarely drink it but am having some now. It is a mingling I made a few years ago. It is Herradura Reposado, Olmeca Tequila Gold, 4 Copas Blanco, Jose Cuervo Family Reserve and a brand brought to me by a guest whose name (the tequila) I can no longer recall, it was from a holiday he took there. It was very good, gold-colored and soft, not sweetened or cut with sugar alcohol according to the label.

The blend is rounded, soft and malty, with a definite but refined tequila flavor - as refined as good tequila can get, I would say. Only the nose betrays the blending, it is quite neutral, as if the various scents cancelled each other out. But the taste is really good. I tasted very small amounts of the 4 tequilas I still have from the 5 used to make the blend and I truly prefer the blend to any of them.

Gary

Bmac
04-04-2012, 19:57

I am in complete agreement. I have been into te-kill-ya for almost 20 years now. It was my spirit of choice before bourbon. My favorite doesnt appear to be made anymore. Lapiz Azul was nectar from the gods.

Now days I just have Don Julio reposado and a mini of anejo that i brought back from Mexico. I recently found El Espolon blanco which is sublime for the money...but their repesado is not as good. I am thinking trying to branch out and collect again...but bourbon has my heart and wallet for the moment.

Max Power
04-04-2012, 20:22
I am in complete agreement. I have been into te-kill-ya for almost 20 years now. It was my spirit of choice before bourbon. My favorite doesnt appear to be made anymore. Lapiz Azul was nectar from the gods.

Now days I just have Don Julio reposado and a mini of anejo that i brought back from Mexico. I recently found El Espolon blanco which is sublime for the money...but their repesado is not as good. I am thinking trying to branch out and collect again...but bourbon has my heart and wallet for the moment.

Lapiz changed its name to Lapis. It's still around and is good, but maybe not as good as others in the price range.

Don Julio Repo is a great all around example of a reposado. Pretty much the entire DJ line is fantastic...especially the 1942. I wouldn't run out and get the 70th for the price. It's complex, but it almost fights itself to an extent.

I like Espolon too. In the same price range I think I prefer JLP, but I have to get both shipped. Since it seems like you enjoy reposados, you should really give Muchote a shot. It's $25-30 a bottle and can hold its own with any "ultra-premium" tequila.

Bmac
04-09-2012, 14:06
What are your thoughts about Ralfy's score of 84/100 on Jose Cuervo Especial? I cannot beleive it. A man with incredible taste in liquor providing a score that high on a tequila that is perhaps the most disgusting ever produced.

Although, in his review he did provide some insight to the licking of salt and sucking on the lime. He said it was a trick to disguise the awful flavor of bad tequila. :grin:

Max Power
04-09-2012, 20:50
I'm pretty new here, but anyone who is giving JC Especial that kind of score has no taste for tequila. It's a bottom 10 juice that I've ever had and I've probably sampled somewhere in the realm of 180-200 tequilas.

silverfish
04-10-2012, 08:35
What are your thoughts about Ralfy's score of 84/100 on Jose Cuervo Especial? I cannot beleive it. A man with incredible taste in liquor providing a score that high on a tequila that is perhaps the most disgusting ever produced.

I'm pretty new here, but anyone who is giving JC Especial that kind of score has no taste for tequila. It's a bottom 10 juice that I've ever had and I've probably sampled somewhere in the realm of 180-200 tequilas.

Maybe his "incredible taste in liquor" doesn't encompass all
liquors and he's basing his rating on the Tequila available to
him or comparing it to the ones he has tried (which would
be even worse than the JCE by your standards?...)

And as far as "no taste for tequila" - how bout you find me
a Tequila reviewer and have him sample some Scotch or
Bourbon. Wanna bet you find those ratings a bit skewed
compared to how Whisk(e)y reviewers might score them?...

Max Power
04-10-2012, 10:21

It's a fair point. I'm a tequila drinker first and foremost. I've tasted plenty of scotch and bourbon, but am more new to bourbon out of all of them. Obviously everyone's own palate is going to dictate their own preferences. If he happens to prefer a tequila that is a pleasant mix of rubbing alcohol and sugar...that's his prerogative. Agave spirits tend more towards peppery in the unaged and have a wide range in the aged category.

If I gave you guys a bourbon that tastes like Vodka and maple syrup put together, I'm pretty sure there would be a consensus on this board that it sucked...even if there was a couple people out there who liked it.

This post just seems to need this emoticon. :shithappens:

Bmac
04-10-2012, 13:25
I was a tequila drinker long before bourbon. I have tasted my fair share of high end and low end enough to know what I like in a tequila. I prefer smooth and slightly sweet with some of the actual natural agave flavor coming through. When tequila is in wood too long it gets overly woody and bitter. That might be someone's cup of tea....but...JCE is...well....it's piss. I am shocked they can call it tequila. it's yellow colored alcohol. They say the non-100% agave tequilas are typically mixed with sugar cane distillate (rum). I love rum and have a vast collection...and JCE has ZERO rum flavor profile.

My wife, who hates alcohol in almost ALL forms, was able to tell the difference between JCE and 100% agave.:grin:

Max Power
04-10-2012, 17:02
I was a tequila drinker long before bourbon. I have tasted my fair share of high end and low end enough to know what I like in a tequila. I prefer smooth and slightly sweet with some of the actual natural agave flavor coming through. When tequila is in wood too long it gets overly woody and bitter. That might be someone's cup of tea....but...JCE is...well....it's piss. I am shocked they can call it tequila. it's yellow colored alcohol. They say the non-100% agave tequilas are typically mixed with sugar cane distillate (rum). I love rum and have a vast collection...and JCE has ZERO rum flavor profile.

My wife, who hates alcohol in almost ALL forms, was able to tell the difference between JCE and 100% agave.:grin:

It is shocking that it gets called "tequila." That's why the label of 100% agave is so important. Can you imagine someone mixing 51% bourbon and 49% rum and then adding color and trying to pass it off as bourbon? It's pretty much the same thing except for some reason people drink the piss water.

smokinjoe
04-10-2012, 17:10
It is shocking that it gets called "tequila." That's why the label of 100% agave is so important. Can you imagine someone mixing 51% bourbon and 49% rum and then adding color and trying to pass it off as bourbon? It's pretty much the same thing except for some reason people drink the piss water.

Are you saying it can't be called "Tequila"? Is there a Reg issue that is in question?

Bmac
04-10-2012, 19:11
Are you saying it can't be called "Tequila"? Is there a Reg issue that is in question?
Sort of. Tequila can't be called "tequila" unless "IT" is made in the region of Tequila, Mexico. There is no regulation that the spirit made has to be 100% agave. For our edification:

4.34 Tequila
The regional alcoholic beverage obtained by distilling musts, prepared directly and originally from extracted material, in the manufacturing facilities of an Authorized Producer, which must be located in the territory specified in the Declaration, derived from the hearts of tequilana weber blue variety Agave, previously or subsequently hydrolyzed or cooked, and subjected to alcoholic fermentation with cultivated or uncultivated yeasts, wherein said musts may be enhanced and blended together before fermentation with other sugars up to a proportion no greater than 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass, pursuant to this Official Mexican Standard, and with the understanding that cold mixing is not permitted. Tequila is a liquid that, according to its type, is colorless or colored when aged in oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) wood containers, or when mellowed without aging.
Tequila may be enhanced by the addition of sweeteners, coloring, aromatizers and/or flavorings permitted by the Ministry of Health in order to provide or intensify its color, aroma and/or flavor.
Reference to the term “Tequila” in this NOM is understood to apply to the two categories indicated in Chapter 5, except for express references to “100% agave” Tequila.

5.1.2 “Tequila”
The product defined in paragraph one of Section 4.34 of this NOM whose musts may be enhanced and blended together prior to fermentation with other sugars in a proportion not to exceed 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass. This maximum enhancement of up to 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may not be done with sugars from any species of Agave. The 51% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may only be enhanced with tequilana weber blue variety Agave grown in the territory specified in the Declaration.
This product may be bottled in plants not belonging to an authorized producer under strict compliance by the bottler of the conditions set forth in Section 6.5.4.2 and other applicable provisions of this NOM.

IN the event you want to read A LOT of legalese: http://www.tequila.net/faqs/tequila/what-are-the-regulations-governing-tequila.html

smokinjoe
04-10-2012, 19:22
Sort of. Tequila can't be called "tequila" unless "IT" is made in the region of Tequila, Mexico. There is no regulation that the spirit made has to be 100% agave. For our edification:

4.34 Tequila
The regional alcoholic beverage obtained by distilling musts, prepared directly and originally from extracted material, in the manufacturing facilities of an Authorized Producer, which must be located in the territory specified in the Declaration, derived from the hearts of tequilana weber blue variety Agave, previously or subsequently hydrolyzed or cooked, and subjected to alcoholic fermentation with cultivated or uncultivated yeasts, wherein said musts may be enhanced and blended together before fermentation with other sugars up to a proportion no greater than 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass, pursuant to this Official Mexican Standard, and with the understanding that cold mixing is not permitted. Tequila is a liquid that, according to its type, is colorless or colored when aged in oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) wood containers, or when mellowed without aging.
Tequila may be enhanced by the addition of sweeteners, coloring, aromatizers and/or flavorings permitted by the Ministry of Health in order to provide or intensify its color, aroma and/or flavor.
Reference to the term “Tequila” in this NOM is understood to apply to the two categories indicated in Chapter 5, except for express references to “100% agave” Tequila.

5.1.2 “Tequila”
The product defined in paragraph one of Section 4.34 of this NOM whose musts may be enhanced and blended together prior to fermentation with other sugars in a proportion not to exceed 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass. This maximum enhancement of up to 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may not be done with sugars from any species of Agave. The 51% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass may only be enhanced with tequilana weber blue variety Agave grown in the territory specified in the Declaration.
This product may be bottled in plants not belonging to an authorized producer under strict compliance by the bottler of the conditions set forth in Section 6.5.4.2 and other applicable provisions of this NOM.

IN the event you want to read A LOT of legalese: http://www.tequila.net/faqs/tequila/what-are-the-regulations-governing-tequila.html

So, is JCE "Tequila"? Is there a reg issue that is in question?

Max Power
04-10-2012, 19:34

No. Like the other poster posted, if it's 51% tequila, it can still be called tequila. So long as it is in Jalisco (for the most part, I think there are a few exceptions) and has a NOM and is approved by the Mexican government, it can be called tequila. 51% is the minimum amount that it can be and still called tequila.

But like I said, it's the same as making a spirit 51% bourbon and 49% filler and calling it bourbon just because the government says it's OK.

smokinjoe
04-10-2012, 19:40
No. Like the other poster posted, if it's 51% tequila, it can still be called tequila. So long as it is in Jalisco (for the most part, I think there are a few exceptions) and has a NOM and is approved by the Mexican government, it can be called tequila. 51% is the minimum amount that it can be and still called tequila.

But like I said, it's the same as making a spirit 51% bourbon and 49% filler and calling it bourbon just because the government says it's OK.

So, if I have this right, it's not at all shocking that it's called "Tequila"?

Max Power
04-11-2012, 07:18
So, if I have this right, it's not at all shocking that it's called "Tequila"?

Correct. They are well within the laws to do so. The statement of "shocking" was a bit of hyperbole. Although, it is strange that something that is 51% of something with 49% filler can be classified the same as something that is 100% juice.

unclebunk
04-11-2012, 07:42
My closest Mexican friends think us Americans get carried away with what they call "boutique" tequilas. Two of them are well-paid bankers who travel often between Mexico and the USA and can afford pretty much anything they see on a well-stocked store shelf (unlike myself), bringing back tequila from small estates that generally produce only for local consumption. I've tasted many of these tequilas, which ranged from very good to exceptional, but truthfully have never encountered anything significantly better than the best Herradura, Don Julio, etc. products that I find in my local Binny's or well-appointed tequila bars that I've visited in Texas. These are the very brands that these Mexican friends of mine stock in their own homes, and I would say their love for tequila is certainly equal to my love of bourbon and single malts.

Admittedly, I have no expertise in this area whatsoever and no doubt sound like a neanderthal to those with a true passion for tequila, but are my Mexican friends that far off base with their recommendations for my own home liquor cabinet? As a means of comparison, I've sampled hundreds of single malts over the years and personally owned roughly a hundred different bottles by several dozen different distillers, but when push comes to shove would have to concede that many of the most common and highly-regarded expressions produced by the big name distilleries (Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Macallan, etc. to name a few) were, in the end, the finest I've come across. That doesn't mean to say that I haven't been immensely impressed with some of the whisky from much lesser known distilleries, only that my pursuit of the finest drams eventually led me back to where I initially started. I know that I'm not articulating my thoughts on this particulary well, but have any of you tequila buffs reached a similar conclusion after years of sampling? And what brands/expressions would you consider "must haves" in the cabinet for someone working on a limited budget?

Bmac
04-11-2012, 12:01
Admittedly, I have no expertise in this area whatsoever and no doubt sound like a neanderthal to those with a true passion for tequila, but are my Mexican friends that far off base with their recommendations for my own home liquor cabinet?
Yes and no. My wife is from Mexico and when I visit we go shopping for Tequila. They would rather buy El Señor or JCE because it's cheap; not because it's good. These same folks swear by Buchanan's and Chivas Regal blended Scotch. ;)

However, they did seem to like certain brands if they had the money. Don Julio being their favorite. So that's what I took home, plus a tasty rare and cheap gem: Orendain Crema De Almendrado. Essentially it's Tequila aged with almonds. It's an awesome substitute for triple sec in a top shelf margarita.

sob0728
04-11-2012, 12:40
So that's what I took home, plus a tasty rare and cheap gem: Orendain Crema De Almendrado. Essentially it's Tequila aged with almonds. It's an awesome substitute for triple sec in a top shelf margarita.

mmm.....almond tequila. I had a bottle with a group of friends 5-10 years ago. I remember it being delicious. Now I am going to have to go buy some.

unclebunk
04-11-2012, 13:46
Yes and no. My wife is from Mexico and when I visit we go shopping for Tequila. They would rather buy El Señor or JCE because it's cheap; not because it's good. These same folks swear by Buchanan's and Chivas Regal blended Scotch. ;)

I have several Mexican friends who shop the same way--they only go for what's cheap. But these two fellows I was referring to aren't that way at all. They have money to burn and routinely buy expensive bottles of bourbon and ridiculously pricey cigars. When it comes to tequila, they believe there is a definite point of diminishing returns and routinely tell me not to go crazy spending money on "the exotic stuff" when high quality tequila can be had for $40-$50 buying Herradura Reposado, Don Julio Reposado, Siete Leguas Reposado and El Tesoro (a favorite, in part because it is produced very near where they grew up). I should add that these brothers are purists about many things in life and often look down upon food and drink that aren't "traditional." Their elderly grandfather, on the other hand, is a dyed-in-the-wool Sauza lover and rarely strays from their product line. He once told me (through an interpreter) that "everything else is for women.":lol:

CorvallisCracker
04-11-2012, 15:26
No one has mentioned El Jimador, which is 100% Agave and priced about the same as Jose Cuervo (in fact here in Oregon it's a buck cheaper).

I haven't had it myself but a friend in Eugene has and says it's way better than Cuervo. I plan to try a bottle when we finish our open bottle of Milagro.

According to the Jimador website it's the #1 selling tequila in Mexico. If true, I'm surprised that your "Mexican friends who buy the cheap stuff" don't seem to know about it.

Gillman
04-11-2012, 16:55
Inspired by this thread, I am drinking some Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, bottled in 2010. This was a gift from a friend who works a lot in the country. It is heavy-bodied, sweetish, a little bourbon-like (caramel and some tannins) but the tequila stamp is huge, it is a very big drink in every way. I can't say it stands out greatly as compared to others I've tried, i.e. the odd blanco, the regular Cuervo Gold (still my favourite), Herradura and Olmecca, because the tequila taste is similar.

It does clearly have a richer body than those but there is something about the Cuervo Gold I like more, its "proprietary" taste is very good, at least for my untutored tequila palate.

But I'm willing to learn more, including about mescal, which I've never had and know nothing about.

Gary

unclebunk
04-11-2012, 18:53
According to the Jimador website it's the #1 selling tequila in Mexico. If true, I'm surprised that your "Mexican friends who buy the cheap stuff" don't seem to know about it.

Actually, El Jimador and Hornitos are the two brands my budget-minded friends drink the most. They are both very serviceable tequilas for the price and, while inexpensive, are very popular in many Mexican households around here. If someone hands me a glass of either one, I'm happy to drink it.

timd
04-11-2012, 19:55
No one has mentioned El Jimador, which is 100% Agave and priced about the same as Jose Cuervo (in fact here in Oregon it's a buck cheaper).

I haven't had it myself but a friend in Eugene has and says it's way better than Cuervo. I plan to try a bottle when we finish our open bottle of Milagro.
It's very inexpensive here in Texas. I can get a handle for under $30, usually - and that's the Repasado.

I really, really like El Jimador - and I also like the Milagro you mention.

I've done some interesting home-aging with El Jimador that has turned out very nicely... and it seasons the barrel for some nice experiments with whiskey later.

I give the entire El Jimador line thumbs-up, but the Repasodo is my favorite.

Another super cheap one is Camarena... The reposado is quite nice. I actually sip it (not just for mixing). It's... different. Many folks frown on it because it's fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a 750), but I really enjoy it (not so much the Silver, however).

Max Power
04-11-2012, 21:50
It's very inexpensive here in Texas. I can get a handle for under $30, usually - and that's the Repasado.

I really, really like El Jimador - and I also like the Milagro you mention.

I've done some interesting home-aging with El Jimador that has turned out very nicely... and it seasons the barrel for some nice experiments with whiskey later.

I give the entire El Jimador line thumbs-up, but the Repasodo is my favorite.

Another super cheap one is Camarena... The reposado is quite nice. I actually sip it (not just for mixing). It's... different. Many folks frown on it because it's fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a 750), but I really enjoy it (not so much the Silver, however).

Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.

unclebunk
04-12-2012, 06:36
Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.

Wow. Thanks for all the information and sharing your thoughts on the various brands. Like many here in the US, my first experience with tequila occurred back in college, slamming down shots of Jose Cuervo Gold with the little salt/lime routine and chasing it with cheap beer. Is it any wonder that many people my age still cringe at the mere mention of tequila? Its reputation as "firewater" that'll make you do crazy things, and the not uncommon two day hangovers that accompanied the binges, gave the stuff a bad name with lots of folks I know. It wasn't until many years later, when in the company of Mexican families at social functions, that I learned that tequila could (and should) be consumed in much the same manner as other fine spirits. Now I'm eager to learn more about the regional variations in products and to see if I can find a few favorites. I'll be printing off your list today and heading out to see what I can find. First up will be Muchote and then whatever else I can find in the budget range, as I'm interested in sampling as many different products as I can afford, rather than blowing loads on just a few bottles. Thanks again!

Gillman
04-12-2012, 06:58
Thanks for all those tips. This is the current mezcal range available in Ontario in Canada:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=mezcal&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN

Any particular favorites amongst these?

Gary

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 07:06
Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had... :D

DaveOfAtl
04-12-2012, 07:13
This is great information, thanks Max. On my honeymoon in Cabo last year, I really came to appreciate good tequila, but I haven't pursued it much since I got home. I also love the Clase Azul, which became my favorite drink by the pool. The pool bar would serve it ice cold (out of the frezer). I now do the same.

What do you think about Esperanto?

unclebunk
04-12-2012, 08:56
I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?

Cazadores is very popular here as well, both the reposado and the anejo. I don't know where they fit in with the others that have been mentioned but I have bottles of both and enjoy them quite a bit.

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had... :D

Ah, yes. The good ol' days. My first serious encounter with tequila ended with me attempting to pee behind some bushes and accidentally stumbling, crashing head first through my neighbor's window-well. When he woke up and ran downstairs to his basement, he discovered me suspended halfway into the room, much like a deer head mounted on a wall. How I didn't end up shredding myself to pieces from all the broken glass is beyond me but my neighbor had something good to hold over me with my parents for many years to come. Did I mention that my neighbor was a rabbi?:lol:

Max Power
04-12-2012, 10:21
Thanks for all those tips. This is the current mezcal range available in Ontario in Canada:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=mezcal&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN

Any particular favorites amongst these?

Gary

The only one I've had was Jaral de Berrio. It was good, but not in the same category as the Del Maguey brand.

Gillman
04-12-2012, 10:22
Okay thx, will look for Del Maguey in KY when there soon.

Gary

Max Power
04-12-2012, 10:34
Wow. Thanks for all the information and sharing your thoughts on the various brands. Like many here in the US, my first experience with tequila occurred back in college, slamming down shots of Jose Cuervo Gold with the little salt/lime routine and chasing it with cheap beer. Is it any wonder that many people my age still cringe at the mere mention of tequila? Its reputation as "firewater" that'll make you do crazy things, and the not uncommon two day hangovers that accompanied the binges, gave the stuff a bad name with lots of folks I know. It wasn't until many years later, when in the company of Mexican families at social functions, that I learned that tequila could (and should) be consumed in much the same manner as other fine spirits. Now I'm eager to learn more about the regional variations in products and to see if I can find a few favorites. I'll be printing off your list today and heading out to see what I can find. First up will be Muchote and then whatever else I can find in the budget range, as I'm interested in sampling as many different products as I can afford, rather than blowing loads on just a few bottles. Thanks again!

If you're interested in trying a bunch and willing to buy 5+ bottles at a time, buying online is the way to go.

www.hitimewine.net is the best for buying spirits online...period. <Muchote is $24.99, Dos Lunas is a steal there (Blanco for $16.99 - seen as high as $40 elsewhere. The reposado is $21.99 and might be the best of the bunch).

www.zeetequila.com has some great selection, but the shipping is a bit higher. They have the best prices on Tres Agaves and some other high end ones.

www.missionliquor.com has great pricing and a good selection. If you like an earthy/lowland tequila, all lines of Toro de Lidia are under $20 and it's very high quality for a lowland. I prefer highlands, but I like lowlands as well. I just wanted to preface because it's a different flavor profile.

www.morewines.com has a spotty selection, but if you can find what you want, they have the best shipping rates. Pura Vida is an awesome line there that is the cheapest I've ever seen. Also, they have Gentleman Jack for $19.99, which is dirt cheap as well.

www.wineandliquordepot.com is a very primitive website and you have to order over the phone, but they have some very hard to find tequila. Viva Mexico is there and is a steal.

I still have a bunch of bottles that I bought fairly cheap that I haven't yet sampled. I'll keep updating as I get through them. I'm more on the prowl for cheap gems now more than anything.

There's so many tequilas out there and the prices vary a TON because of the distribution differences. The key is doing the research to get the best deals. Combine with buying your favorite bourbons and it saves you the trip and the sales tax (in MN it's 10% for sales & liquor tax).

Keep asking questions...I'll keep answering.

Max Power
04-12-2012, 10:38
Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

Cazadores Reposado is the most commonly found and I'd put it in the Patron category with a little more earth on the palate. Very smooth, very clean, but it doesn't have a ton of character. It is, however, very easy to drink. I'd recommend Milagro reposado or anejo for just as easily found tequila with a bit more flavor and equally smooth around the same price.

The best reason Cazadores is probably so popular is because of availability and price. Just like the person with experience with locals in Mexico, cost is a huge factor. For the money, it's a decent buy.

Max Power
04-12-2012, 10:49
This is great information, thanks Max. On my honeymoon in Cabo last year, I really came to appreciate good tequila, but I haven't pursued it much since I got home. I also love the Clase Azul, which became my favorite drink by the pool. The pool bar would serve it ice cold (out of the frezer). I now do the same.

What do you think about Esperanto?

Clase Azul is dangerously sweet and smooth. The blanco is like candy. The reposado is like a werther's. Both are just wonderful.

Esperanto is a very good tequila, but maybe a bit expensive. If you can accept that you're paying $10 extra because the bottle is awesome, then it's a very good tequila and a good price for the quality. The bottle is probably one of my 3 favorites.

Max Power
04-12-2012, 10:50
Okay thx, will look for Del Maguey in KY when there soon.

Gary

Ilegal and Scorpion are very good brands too.

DaveOfAtl
04-12-2012, 10:53
Well, it appears we have our resident Tequila expert. Great stuff, man. Thnaks.

Brisko
04-12-2012, 10:54
Ilegal and Scorpion are very good brands too.

I just bought a Scorpion blanco but I haven't opened it yet. It's pretty gimmicky but I've heard good things about it.

Max Power
04-12-2012, 12:11
Well, it appears we have our resident Tequila expert. Great stuff, man. Thnaks.

I'm here to learn more about bourbon and such. Tequila will always be my #1 love. The treasure hunts for both is really part of the fun.

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 12:22
Hey, Max. I'm going to hunt down that Clase Azul Reposado. What would be a decent price for it?

Max Power
04-12-2012, 12:39
Hey, Max. I'm going to hunt down that Clase Azul Reposado. What would be a decent price for it?

You can find it for $75 many places and that's the best I've seen (I think $72.99 is the lowest I've ever seen). As a last resort, you can buy from this place for $79.99 and if you see something else you like they ship for free at $100. I just bought 4R Small Batch from this place for $18.99 in addition to some tequilas.

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/search.aspx?find=clase

About half the online places won't ship it either because of size and it's ceramic. Another awesome bottle.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qhIo4E0TC-Y/TcKpPmGJeLI/AAAAAAAACc8/prtIA0tb7zQ/s1600/50_clase_azul_reposado_tequila_family_1176230979.j pg

DaveOfAtl
04-12-2012, 13:41
There are some very cool Tequila bottles out there.

Bmac
04-12-2012, 13:49
I found this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm page.

(g) Class 7; Tequila. “Tequila” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash derived principally from the Agave Tequilana Weber (“blue” variety), with or without additional fermentable substances, distilled in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to Tequila and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates. Tequila is a distinctive product of Mexico, manufactured in Mexico in compliance with the laws of Mexico regulating the manufacture of Tequila for consumption in that country.

This is odd because this means that Tequila shipped to the US have to be altered. The Don Julio tequila I brought from Mexico (both the Reposado and Añejo) are 38% 76 proof. o__o. Is this the way it was intended, or are they just being cheap in Mexico?

Gillman
04-12-2012, 13:50
Passed by an LCBO outlet after lunch and picked up Tlacuache Silver Mezcal, it's 42% ABV. It also says, 100% Agave Angustifolia. A website mentioned is www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com

I poured a dram having just gotten home - my first mescal - and find it outstanding. It has a pronounced smoky taste with hints of grappa-like tastes. The texture is soft and rounded. It's completely different than any tequila I ever had.

This is clearly a major world spirit and I'm glad to have discovered it.

Gary

Max Power
04-12-2012, 14:05
I found this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm page.

(g) Class 7; Tequila. “Tequila” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash derived principally from the Agave Tequilana Weber (“blue” variety), with or without additional fermentable substances, distilled in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to Tequila and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates. Tequila is a distinctive product of Mexico, manufactured in Mexico in compliance with the laws of Mexico regulating the manufacture of Tequila for consumption in that country.

This is odd because this means that Tequila shipped to the US have to be altered. The Don Julio tequila I brought from Mexico (both the Reposado and Añejo) are 38% 76 proof. o__o. Is this the way it was intended, or are they just being cheap in Mexico?

It's a US regulation that the tequilas have to be 80 proof. I have no idea why. I don't find the 2% difference to make a difference in taste.

Much like the 80 proof bourbons diluted with distilled water, they do the same with tequila. I can't think of any tequilas that I've seen at "cask strength."

I wish that I had a good answer as to "why" they are different proofs, but I don't. :smiley_acbt:

Max Power
04-12-2012, 14:07
Passed by an LCBO outlet after lunch and picked up Tlacuache Silver Mezcal, it's 42% ABV. It also says, 100% Agave Angustifolia. A website mentioned is www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com (http://www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com)

I poured a dram having just gotten home - my first mescal - and find it outstanding. It has a pronounced smoky taste with hints of grappa-like tastes. The texture is soft and rounded. It's completely different than any tequila I ever had.

This is clearly a major world spirit and I'm glad to have discovered it.

Gary

That's about right. Mezcals are more smokey. Sotols are more grassy and light. Tequilas are somewhere in between. The highland ones are generally sweeter and lowland ones are a bit earthier. Both are sweeter than Mezcals or Sotols. All of them are good. I think that tequila is probably most popular because it is probably the most versatile and has properties that please the masses more.

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 14:22
You can find it for $75 many places and that's the best I've seen (I think $72.99 is the lowest I've ever seen). As a last resort, you can buy from this place for $79.99 and if you see something else you like they ship for free at $100. I just bought 4R Small Batch from this place for $18.99 in addition to some tequilas.

http://pacificonlinespirits.com/search.aspx?find=clase

About half the online places won't ship it either because of size and it's ceramic. Another awesome bottle.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qhIo4E0TC-Y/TcKpPmGJeLI/AAAAAAAACc8/prtIA0tb7zQ/s1600/50_clase_azul_reposado_tequila_family_1176230979.j pg

Thanks again, Max. I'll be getting a bottle pronto.
:toast:

Max Power
04-12-2012, 14:45
Just because I'm such a big fan of Corrido, I thought that I would post this review of the entire line. He's spot on with all of his tasting notes. This is an awesome tequila and more than I'd want to type.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/tequila/corrido-tequila-review/

AaronWF
04-13-2012, 09:43
I'm going to be somewhat vague here and ask about tequila dusties. There are a few stores around here in Mexican neighborhoods that I've scoured for dusty bourbon and only found shelves and shelves of tequila.

I can't keep track of all the names in this thread (but I'm sure I'll find great use for it someday!). Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?

gblick
04-13-2012, 11:19
Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.

sutton
04-13-2012, 12:42
This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... :bigeyes: )

About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

Thanks in advance ...

Bmac
04-13-2012, 13:21
This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... :bigeyes: )

About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

Thanks in advance ...
First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." :) They gifted you well.

Max Power
04-13-2012, 15:15
First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." :) They gifted you well.

This. It's the standard bottle, but DJ is the premier high end tequila to Mexicans. And DJ reposado is very good stuff.

Max Power
04-13-2012, 15:17
One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.

I have old El Tesoros and another good one is the Chinacos before German left to be master tequilero of T1. Anything bottled before 2009 is a treasure. Chinaco was the best $45 tequila around back then. It's still good, but when German was doing it, it was close to the very top.

unclebunk
04-13-2012, 15:44
I have old El Tesoros and another good one is the Chinacos before German left to be master tequilero of T1. Anything bottled before 2009 is a treasure. Chinaco was the best $45 tequila around back then. It's still good, but when German was doing it, it was close to the very top.

I really enjoy El Tesoro but have never seen the older bottles. Can you post a picture of one so that I know what I'm looking for? We have a huge Mexican community here in Chicago and I'm thinking I might be able to find some cool stuff in Mexican neighborhoods nearby.

sutton
04-13-2012, 16:31
This. It's the standard bottle, but DJ is the premier high end tequila to Mexicans. And DJ reposado is very good stuff.

Bmac and Max, thanks for the info.

gblick
04-14-2012, 09:55
I really enjoy El Tesoro but have never seen the older bottles. Can you post a picture of one so that I know what I'm looking for?Here's a picture of a real old one that's called 'Muy Anejo', but they usually just said Anejo (without the 'Muy'). The label was also slightly different, but you get the idea what the older bottles looked like.
On the tequila forums, they called them the ETWL (El Tesoro White Label) bottles.

unclebunk
04-14-2012, 10:23
Here's a picture of a real old one that's called 'Muy Anejo', but they usually just said Anejo (without the 'Muy'). The label was also slightly different, but you get the idea what the older bottles looked like.
On the tequila forums, they called them the ETWL (El Tesoro White Label) bottles.

Thanks so much for the picture. Very cool looking bottle!

Max Power
04-15-2012, 15:58
Tried some new ones this weekend.

Ley .925 Extra Anejo - Really Good
Volcan Mi Tierra Anejo - Really Good
El Reformador Reposado - Good
El Luis Viejo Blanco - Poor...latex tasting finish. I've never tasted anything like it before.

callmeox
04-15-2012, 17:20
For a blanco on the rocks with a squeeze of lime, I'm happy with Patron.

If I feel like digging in to something, the Reserva de la Familia is nice.

I also have a bottle of Tequila 1921 Anejo that I received as a gift from a traveling family member. It really needs be opened and inspected soon.

unclebunk
04-15-2012, 18:27
Went to a fantastic Mexican wedding on Saturday night and drank boat-loads of Del Dueno Anejo and Siete Leguas Reposado. Both were extremely enjoyable and burned clean the morning after, which is always a bonus!:grin:

Max Power
04-15-2012, 18:52
Went to a fantastic Mexican wedding on Saturday night and drank boat-loads of Del Dueno Anejo and Siete Leguas Reposado. Both were extremely enjoyable and burned clean the morning after, which is always a bonus!:grin:

I've never been able to find a Del Dueno. I'd love to try it. 7 Leguas is a GREAT line of tequilas. And I've always found that good tequilas never make me feel bad the morning after. Those two brands definitely qualify.

Max Power
04-15-2012, 18:54
For a blanco on the rocks with a squeeze of lime, I'm happy with Patron.

If I feel like digging in to something, the Reserva de la Familia is nice.

I also have a bottle of Tequila 1921 Anejo that I received as a gift from a traveling family member. It really needs be opened and inspected soon.

I like 1921, but it's not may favorite. The reserve reposado might be my favorite from the line.

Patron is perfectly fine as well, but I like something with a bit more agave flavor and peppery finish if it's a blanco. RdF is a great tequila. It has a bit of everything...including a hefty price tag. I only share that with people that I like...and who I know will appreciate it.:grin:

Clavius
04-16-2012, 19:55
What would you guys recommend for a decent/good Anejo tequila? I've never had an Anejo and would like to try one. A store here has half-pints of Patron, all 3 flavors, for $10.99 each. Should I just get the Anejo Patron and give it a try? Another one that I noticed on sale is Tres Generaciones Anejo for like $36.99 (for a 750ml). Is it any good? Any other recommendations?

Bmac
04-16-2012, 21:13
What would you guys recommend for a decent/good Anejo tequila? I've never had an Anejo and would like to try one. A store here has half-pints of Patron, all 3 flavors, for $10.99 each. Should I just get the Anejo Patron and give it a try? Another one that I noticed on sale is Tres Generaciones Anejo for like $36.99 (for a 750ml). Is it any good? Any other recommendations?

I only have had the Don Julio Anejo and I wasnt very impressed with it, so I would be curious too.

unclebunk
04-17-2012, 06:15
I've never been able to find a Del Dueno. I'd love to try it. 7 Leguas is a GREAT line of tequilas. And I've always found that good tequilas never make me feel bad the morning after. Those two brands definitely qualify.

The tequila consumed that night took place at a post-reception party with a number of wedding guests who were invited back to one gentleman's house. Incredibly, our host found two sealed bottles of the Del Dueno at an estate sale several years ago and paid only $5 each for them! I must say it was mighty generous of him to open one of them for us, as three or four of us left only an inch in the bottle by the time the night drew to a close. The Siete Leguas was very fine too but most of my attention was directed towards the Del Dueno. Excellent, indeed! So, is it no longer exported to the US or even being made, for that matter? I recall our host saying that he'd never seen another bottle since, so it must be rather hard to come by these days.

Max Power
04-17-2012, 12:59

It all depends on what you like. Tres Gen is not very good. Patron is fine, but isn't really a good representation of quality tequila. It's very basic and kind of bland.

So much of what I'd recommend has to do with what's available and what taste profile you like. My favorite anejos include:

Don Julio
Amate
Azunia
Chinaco
Corrido (my favorite)
KAH
Penca Azul
Riazul
Tonala
Don Pilar (heavy bourbon influence)
Aha Toro
El Reformador
7 Leguas
Pura Vida

Hopefully you can find one of those.

Clavius
04-17-2012, 14:13
Unforunately my store seems kind of short on Anejo tequilas. Right now the only ones that appear decent to me based on price are:

Milagro
Herradurra
Cabo Wabo
Don Julio
Dos Lunas
Cazadores

sob0728
04-17-2012, 14:32
Unforunately my store seems kind of short on Anejo tequilas. Right now the only ones that appear decent to me based on price are:

Milagro
Herradurra
Cabo Wabo
Don Julio
Dos Lunas
Cazadores

I would choose Don Julio out of that lineup.

Max Power
04-17-2012, 16:49

Milagro
Herradurra
Cabo Wabo
Don Julio
Dos Lunas
Cazadores

Don Julio and Dos Lunas are the best from that bunch for me. Don Julio is very sweet, Dos lunas is as well, but has a bit of spice along with it.

Milagro might be best for the price. Don't buy 1800, Herradura or Cazadores from that bunch.

moose
04-17-2012, 22:53
Don Julio from that list is the best option, the Cabo Wabo isn't bad, it used to be better, but recent releases haven't been as good as they once were.

luther.r
04-18-2012, 09:59
I just read through this whole thread. Nice to see some folks talkin' tequilas here! Some great info has already been posted. I've been a tequila fiend for a while now and have a lot of knowledge in the cobwebs of my brain. I've toured many of the distilleries and know a couple industry insiders. Here's a quick brain and opinion dump for what it's worth:

-===============-
My 3 favorite currently-available tequilas in no particular order:
-===============-

-El Tesoro
Highlands tequila from Arandas. The master distiller Carlos is the most knowledgeable distiller in Mexico in my opinion, and ultra-dedicated to the highest quality product. Their Mexico-only brand is called Tapatio, and is just as good. Once a year an extra anejo product called Tapatio Exelencia is released, but sadly not to the US. It's spectacular. El Tesoro 70 and Paradiso are also excellent top-shelf anejos.

-Fortaleza
When the Sauzas sold their empire to a major producer, the family kept one very small estate. It's a beautiful piece of land with incredible gardens. The grandson of the original owner, Guillermo Sauza, moved back there in the 1990s. A building that was being used as storage was once a very small distillery, and one of the caretakers used to be the distiller. He convinced Guillermo they should start making tequila there again. It's possibly the smallest tequila distillery in Mexico, and is the very embodiment of "artisan." The blanco is simply amazing. In Mexico this brand is called Los Abuelos ("The Grandfathers") but that name was taken in the US by another product so the name Fortaleza is used here.

-Siete Leguas
The distillery that originally produced Patron, back when it was actually good. Once the agreement expired and Patron built their own facility, 7L was able to import directly to the US market. All their products are top notch in my opinion. They have an extra aged anejo that's available in Mexico only called D'Antano. I think you can get it at duty free. I highly recommend bringing back a bottle if you're visiting.

One interesting thing is that all three of these distilleries crush their agave with a tahona, the large stone in a circular pit. Maybe my pallet is tuned to something that this process imparts to the flavors.

-===============-
My favorite dusties to find:
-===============-

-Porfidio
There aren't many of these left, and they're risky business. Porfidio was the first brand to produce a single barrel anejo. They didn't distill their own product, but bought blanco from other distilleries and did the aging and bottling themselves. The brand is actually rife with controversy and drama, including losing the rights to make tequila eventually; somebody should do a documentary. In any case, some of the single barrel anejo I've found is pretty blah; others have been among the best aged tequila I've ever had. The key here is to make sure the bottle says "Tequila" and not "Tequila Jalisco" on the label.

-El Tesoro white label
These are the older bottles referenced earlier in this thread. The importer will be listed as R. Denton, the man who REALLY brought good tequila to the US (he imported Chinaco and El Tesoro before Paul Mitchell and Patron came along). Personally I think the current El Tesoro is just as good as these older bottles, but there's definitely a different character. I'm in the minority though; most aficionados prefer the white label bottles.

-Casa Noble
The first bottlings were stellar, especially the blanco. The importer listed on the back was Vamonos Rapido, and the bottles were hand-blown and much prettier than the newer ones. The original anejo bottles had hand-painted gold "basket weave" designs and are highly sought after. I have a few treasured bottles of Vamonos CN Blanco in my bunker.

-Chinaco
Max Power mentioned this. The original bottles of Chinaco were tall, more wine-style bottles. Later the current "teardrop" bottles replace them. Any bottle with the importer listed as Denton will be stellar, incredible stuff. The later Fielding & Jones bottles aren't as good but still high quality juice.

The first bottles imported had a wax-dipped top with a little leather strap to pull the wax off. These "leatherstrap" bottles are the best in most people's opinion. If you find one, buy it. More recently, they changed distilleries and the consensus is that it's not so good anymore.

-Jose Cuervo Anejo
gblick mentioned this one earier. This was released for a very short time in the mid-1990s and is just excellent stuff. It's considered by some to be the same juice that's in the 1994 Reserva de Familia, which is many people's favorite year. The first bottles had a a wax top with the stopper dangling down next to the bottle.

-===============-
Dusty hunting in Chicago.
-===============-

Sorry guys, but starting around 2005-2006 myself and another guy went through Pilsen, Little Village, and many north side neighborhoods and got most of the good stuff. :grin: I still occasionally find things, but the glory days of walking in a store and finding 30 bottles of El Tesoro white label are gone. Not to discourage you though; you'll just have to dig deeper and try the smaller stores to find the good scores!

unclebunk
04-18-2012, 13:43
My 3 favorite currently-available tequilas in no particular order: El Tesoro
Highlands tequila from Arandas. The master distiller Carlos is the most knowledgeable distiller in Mexico in my opinion, and ultra-dedicated to the highest quality product...

Sorry guys, but starting around 2005-2006 myself and another guy went through Pilsen, Little Village, and many north side neighborhoods and got most of the good stuff. :grin: I still occasionally find things, but the glory days of walking in a store and finding 30 bottles of El Tesoro white label are gone. Not to discourage you though; you'll just have to dig deeper and try the smaller stores to find the good scores!

Aha! Another El Tesoro lover! As I mentioned up thread, some friends turned me on to the entire El Tesoro line and I've been a big fan ever since. Sadly, I've never been able to find one of the "old label" bottles and now I know why!:grin:

Thanks for all the info and for sharing your thoughts on particular brands. Don't tell my wife, but I think I may be looking for more bunker space soon.:lol:

Max Power
04-18-2012, 14:07
Aha! Another El Tesoro lover! As I mentioned up thread, some friends turned me on to the entire El Tesoro line and I've been a big fan ever since. Sadly, I've never been able to find one of the "old label" bottles and now I know why!:grin:

Thanks for all the info and for sharing your thoughts on particular brands. Don't tell my wife, but I think I may be looking for more bunker space soon.:lol:

It's been a while since I've tried my El Tesoro Anejo, but I might have to break it out tonight. I'm not a big fan of the blanco, but I know exactly why. It's a lowland tequila with a bit more earthy quality and the blanco has a taste of earth and green olives (which I hate). It's a high quality juice, but it's for someone else's palate...not mine.

luther.r
04-18-2012, 14:58
It's been a while since I've tried my El Tesoro Anejo, but I might have to break it out tonight. I'm not a big fan of the blanco, but I know exactly why. It's a lowland tequila with a bit more earthy quality and the blanco has a taste of earth and green olives (which I hate). It's a high quality juice, but it's for someone else's palate...not mine.

El Tesoro is actually highlands, from Arandas. But I agree it's very earthy. That's what I like about it. It's interesting you mention green olives because I think El Tesoro 70 has a strong olive oil flavor.

AaronWF
04-18-2012, 18:19
Well shoot, I'm getting more than I bargained for here. Budgeting for bourbon and rye is one thing. Throw in single malt and some Irish and a slight wind will carry the piggy bank away.

Introduce tequila, and I won't have any money for beer.

Ejmharris
04-18-2012, 18:23
Well shoot, I'm getting more than I bargained for here. Budgeting for bourbon and rye is one thing. Throw in single malt and some Irish and a slight wind will carry the piggy bank away.

My thoughts as well.

Max Power
04-18-2012, 18:53

Try a few good tequilas...you'll stop worrying about the beer.

Jono
04-19-2012, 10:19
http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/

Ralfy is looking at various Mexican spirits including Ocho Anejo Tequila 2007 Vintage and Sotol Hacienda de Chihuahua (Anejo). I don't have much experience with either Sotol (none) or Tequila (other than in cocktails).
I think he has a Mezcal review coming up.

The Sotol sounds like an interesting choice.
He gives the Ocho Anejo very good marks.

Max Power
04-19-2012, 10:30
http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/

Ralfy is looking at various Mexican spirits including Ocho Anejo Tequila 2007 Vintage and Sotol Hacienda de Chihuahua (Anejo). I don't have much experience with either Sotol (none) or Tequila (other than in cocktails).
I think he has a Mezcal review coming up.

The Sotol sounds like an interesting choice.
He gives the Ocho Anejo very good marks.

Ocho is an interesting brand. Doing it vintage brand buying from different areas creates a new tequila every year. That means that they can't create consistency, but they can create a following and a rarity for each vintage. I had the 2009 Anejo and 2010 blanco. The anejo was very good and the blanco was very mediocre. Thus, his 2007 review doesn't really help because those are off the shelves and can only really be bought secondary market...which I have no interest in doing.

Sotols are kind of fun. They're like a really grassy tequila that is a bit less sweet. It's a different spirit for sure, but there's only a few brands.

Jono
04-19-2012, 10:48
Thanks, that is good info. I note Binnys has two Ocho products...one without an age statement for about $60 and the "extra" for about $160. Big jump in price there.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search/?advs=2&ast=&asc=&astxt=Ocho%20Anejo%20Tequila

unclebunk
04-19-2012, 10:51

How about good quality tequila and cheap Mexican beer? Hmm. There's got to be a country song in there somewhere?:grin:

Max Power
04-19-2012, 12:00
Thanks, that is good info. I note Binnys has two Ocho products...one without an age statement for about $60 and the "extra" for about $160. Big jump in price there.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search/?advs=2&ast=&asc=&astxt=Ocho%20Anejo%20Tequila

In all honesty, for $50+, I can think of a ton of tequilas that I would buy before Ocho. It's good, but once you get over $50, it better be closer to great.

Browsing Binny's online I'd go with: (over Ocho)

Casa Noble
Chinaco
Don Julio
El Tesoro (anejo specifically)
Fortaleza
Riazul
Semental
Siete Leguas
Chamucos
Tonala Suprema

That's a really nice selection by Binny's. I wish we had someone locally in the Twin Cities with that kind of selection.

If you're looking specifically at anejos, I'd go with Chinaco, 7 Leguas, Riazul and Tonala. Riazul is THE highest rated tequila on tequila.net and is unlike any other I've had...a ton of cinnamon taste. Chinaco and 7 Leguas are well balanced and Tonala is a bit heavier on the vanilla/caramel side. All are smooth as can be. Happy shopping!

Bmac
04-19-2012, 12:32
I would choose Don Julio out of that lineup.
Another vote for Don Julio.

Jono
04-19-2012, 13:05
Thanks Max for the buying selection advice...this is a new spirit to explore. Last summer I started looking at rums and found them quite enjoyable as sippers so these Mexican spirits are another adventure.

Max Power
04-19-2012, 13:08
Thanks Max for the buying selection advice...this is a new spirit to explore. Last summer I started looking at rums and found them quite enjoyable as sippers so these Mexican spirits are another adventure.

If you like rums, then you'd love Riazul. I didn't know what flavors you liked best. Riazul is like Christmas in an ultra smooth spirit. Sweet, with spice and no harsh burn. And that's the cheapest I've ever seen it. It's kind of hard to find.

Jono
04-19-2012, 15:27
When you said "a ton of cinnamon taste." I said to myself...yum! Will look for it and few of the others you mentioned. Much appreciated.

Max Power
04-19-2012, 19:49
Tried Ambhar Anejo tonight for the first time. It's like bourbon and tequila had a baby. Nice vanilla entry, lots of oak flavors and a nice, long smokey finish. Reminds me a lot of Don Abraham. Good stuff.

AaronWF
04-21-2012, 16:27
I came across more tequilas while looking for bourbon dusties, and referenced this thread when I saw some Chinacos. I brought home a Chinaco Anejo imported by Robert Denton. It wasn't exactly cheap at $55, but I took the dive anyway.

The cork fell apart instantly. As I tried to clear it away, I found it to be moist, and feared the juice might have been corrupted. I was a little salty having to decant into a bourbon bottle (I kind of like the Chinaco teardrop), but I filtered it with a coffee filter and it tastes...

...really, really nice. It's very delicate, with nice vanilla flavors and oaky agave. I do think I maybe would have done better to grab the Reposado (there were a bunch of them on the shelf).

I went through a short tequila phase in the early '00s, and I drank mostly Chinaco and Herradura, but pretty much stayed away from Anejo. I'm glad I bought this, it's terrific stuff, but the vanilla is a bit much, and after a pour or two, I'm feeling the urge to get knocked around a bit by a big ol' bourbon.

ebo
04-22-2012, 10:25
Now that I've read through this whole thread, I feel like I need to rethink my stance on Tequila.

Like many people, I only know Tequila from my younger days of bar hopping and doing shots. The brands I recall are El Toro, 1800, Two Fingers, Jose Cuervo and Monte Alban Mezcal............ all of which contributed to my "distaste" for this spirit... I've had some serious hangovers due to all of them. :lol:

I'd like to try tequila/mezcal again. What would you guys in the know recommend to get me started? I tend to like Scotch on the peaty/smokey side, and Bourbon on the spicey/sweet side, if that helps.:cool:

Max Power
04-22-2012, 10:31
I came across more tequilas while looking for bourbon dusties, and referenced this thread when I saw some Chinacos. I brought home a Chinaco Anejo imported by Robert Denton. It wasn't exactly cheap at $55, but I took the dive anyway.

The cork fell apart instantly. As I tried to clear it away, I found it to be moist, and feared the juice might have been corrupted. I was a little salty having to decant into a bourbon bottle (I kind of like the Chinaco teardrop), but I filtered it with a coffee filter and it tastes...

...really, really nice. It's very delicate, with nice vanilla flavors and oaky agave. I do think I maybe would have done better to grab the Reposado (there were a bunch of them on the shelf).

I went through a short tequila phase in the early '00s, and I drank mostly Chinaco and Herradura, but pretty much stayed away from Anejo. I'm glad I bought this, it's terrific stuff, but the vanilla is a bit much, and after a pour or two, I'm feeling the urge to get knocked around a bit by a big ol' bourbon.

I love tequila, but I find that I prefer to sip a bunch of different ones in an evening rather than focus on one the entire night. Chinaco anejo is really good, but also really sweet. I can see exactly what you're talking about.

Max Power
04-24-2012, 20:12
Dos Lunas Blanco - Fresh & Clean. Decent.
Buen Amigo Reposado - Big time wood and dark chocolate taste. Not my thing, but OK.
Ley .925 Anejo - Good stuff.

That's tonight's lineup.

ebo
04-28-2012, 16:17
Ok.... since reading over this entire thread, I decided to spend some cash on Tequila.

I bought Cazadores Reposado, El Jimador Reposado, Patron Reposado and Don Julio Blanco. I love them all!... Damn you, guys! :lol:

I find that the Cazadores is the most different, in a good way. Not the most expensive (Don Julio wins that title), but it has a nice citrus nose and dry, earthy taste that really appeals to me.

The only Mezcal I can find is Monte Alban. I think I would really like the better Mezcals, as I love Islay Scotch.... I have a thing for smokey spirits. :grin:

What do you suggest I try, as far as Mezcals?

Also, what is your take on 1800 Reposado? Don Julio Reposado? Cabo Wabo (in general)? Are Anejos worth spending the extra cash on?

I think I may have found a new addiction.:rolleyes:

Clavius
04-29-2012, 18:45
Alright guys, if you had to choose: Don Julio Anejo or Dos Lunas Anejo?

unclebunk
04-30-2012, 07:17
Ok.... since reading over this entire thread, I decided to spend some cash on Tequila.

I bought Cazadores Reposado, El Jimador Reposado, Patron Reposado and Don Julio Blanco. I love them all!... Damn you, guys! :lol:

I find that the Cazadores is the most different, in a good way. Not the most expensive (Don Julio wins that title), but it has a nice citrus nose and dry, earthy taste that really appeals to me.

The only Mezcal I can find is Monte Alban. I think I would really like the better Mezcals, as I love Islay Scotch.... I have a thing for smokey spirits. :grin:

Also, what is your take on 1800 Reposado? Don Julio Reposado? Cabo Wabo (in general)? Are Anejos worth spending the extra cash on?

You're in a shitload of trouble, brother. Just like me!:grin:

luther.r
04-30-2012, 07:52

Personally, I'm not too into reposados. I'm usually either in the mood for the in-your-face agaveness of a blanco, or the elegance and oak of a nice anejo, but not in between. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion though.

I'd say 1800 products are good mixers but I wouldn't sip them. Cabo Wabo is pretty boring. Don Julio, to me, is kind of the EC18 of the tequila world. You can't go wrong and it's consistently good, but there's better stuff out there if you want to hunt and/or spend the money.

I'd suggest you find some Del Maguey mezcal. All their varieties are spectacular.

unclebunk
04-30-2012, 09:32
I was reading up thread Max's recommendations for on-line shopping and was amazed at the price differences from one store to the next on some items. Then I stumbled upon K & L Wine Merchants and found most of their prices and shipping costs quite reasonable, if not excellent. Muchote Reposado was $25. Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45 (Binny's sells for $65!). Even some of their single malts were priced incredibly well: Lagavulin 16 is $65/Hi Time $70/Binny's $80, Ardbeg 10 is $43/Hi Time $46/Binny's $55 and Ardbeg Uigeadail is $59/Hi Time $59/Binny's $70. When you consider that shipping is $18 for four bottles ($4.50 per bottle), you still come out way ahead. Not sure how shipping costs compare with Hi Time Wine Cellars, as their site doesn't list rates like K & L does, but K & L seems like a good option for those considering on-line shopping. One disappointment for me was that K & L doesn't seem to carry the Corrido line which I was hoping to explore. Thought I'd pass along this info.

luther.r
04-30-2012, 10:23
Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45

That is an incredible price on the Fortaleza.

Max Power
04-30-2012, 21:25

Every 1800 tequila is trash. Just like gasoline. Don Julio Reposado is AWESOME. A nice aged version of the blanco with mellowing and still a nice spice kick. Go get that one. Cabo Wabo is fine, but is overpriced.

I see your liquor store has the standard selection. Do you ever buy booze online?

Max Power
04-30-2012, 21:29
I was reading up thread Max's recommendations for on-line shopping and was amazed at the price differences from one store to the next on some items. Then I stumbled upon K & L Wine Merchants and found most of their prices and shipping costs quite reasonable, if not excellent. Muchote Reposado was $25. Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45 (Binny's sells for $65!). Even some of their single malts were priced incredibly well: Lagavulin 16 is $65/Hi Time $70/Binny's $80, Ardbeg 10 is $43/Hi Time $46/Binny's $55 and Ardbeg Uigeadail is $59/Hi Time $59/Binny's $70. When you consider that shipping is $18 for four bottles ($4.50 per bottle), you still come out way ahead. Not sure how shipping costs compare with Hi Time Wine Cellars, as their site doesn't list rates like K & L does, but K & L seems like a good option for those considering on-line shopping. One disappointment for me was that K & L doesn't seem to carry the Corrido line which I was hoping to explore. Thought I'd pass along this info.

Hi Time is about $36-40 for 12 bottles. About as good as K&L on lesser quantities.

Mission has the best prices on Fortaleza...$40 for the blanco.

You really do have to search for the best price everywhere. I've probably ordered tequila from 7 different places. www.zeetequila.com has the biggest selection and some good prices on some things. Their shipping is the most expensive though.

When factoring in the shipping, you also have to remember that you pay no sales/liquor tax. The amount you save there is generally offset by the shipping...but you also don't have to drive anywhere. I love the online ordering.

unclebunk
05-01-2012, 14:45
Hi Time is about $36-40 for 12 bottles. About as good as K&L on lesser quantities.

Mission has the best prices on Fortaleza...$40 for the blanco.

You really do have to search for the best price everywhere. I've probably ordered tequila from 7 different places. www.zeetequila.com (http://www.zeetequila.com) has the biggest selection and some good prices on some things. Their shipping is the most expensive though.

When factoring in the shipping, you also have to remember that you pay no sales/liquor tax. The amount you save there is generally offset by the shipping...but you also don't have to drive anywhere. I love the online ordering.

As you mentioned, the shipping costs are no biggie because you save on the sales tax (and no gas), so it's a wash. I like on-line ordering too and find that it's the only way to get stuff that's unavailable in my area. Looking forward to my first tequila order.

Max Power
05-01-2012, 20:20
As you mentioned, the shipping costs are no biggie because you save on the sales tax (and no gas), so it's a wash. I like on-line ordering too and find that it's the only way to get stuff that's unavailable in my area. Looking forward to my first tequila order.

Where did you order from...and what did you buy?

Bmac
05-02-2012, 05:18
Alright guys, if you had to choose: Don Julio Anejo or Dos Lunas Anejo?

Eeeep! Never heard of Don Lunas..and I wasnt impressed with Don Julio Anejo. So...maybe I would go with Don Lunas just to try something different.

unclebunk
05-02-2012, 07:05
Where did you order from...and what did you buy?

I haven't placed my tequila order yet but may do so today or tomorrow. I'm going with Hi Time and looking at picking up Fortaleza Blanco and Fortaleza Reposado, both of which are available to me here in Chicago but at much higher prices, even when shipping is factored in. Others on my short list include Corrido, Muchote and Dos Lunas (all unavailable here). Casa Noble, Chinaco, Arette and Siete Leguas are somewhat higher on my "want" list than those last three (with the exception perhaps of Corrido) but can be purchased at Binny's here in Chicago for comparable prices when Binny's runs their periodic 15% off all spirits sale. Given that it makes more sense to buy four or five bottles than two when calculating shipping, I might as well go for stuff I can't get here first and get the others later. (Also, my Mexican buddies are planning a huge party with live music, a goat roast, etc. Memorial Day weekend and I'd like to treat them to stuff they've never had before.) One thing I'm wrestling with is whether to go with blancos or reposados with all of these brands. I must admit that I have always favored reposados and anejos and have generally viewed (most) blancos as tequila better suited for mixers. But El Tesoro Platinum changed all that and now I'm craving the straight agave-in-your-face tequilas which has me re-thinking my erroneous attitude towards blancos. I fully expect Fortaleza Blanco to deliver what I'm after but with all the other brands, I just don't know.

In the past, I used to but single malts from Shoppers Vineyard but they seem to have suddenly terminated out-of-state sales, so I'm now looking elsewhere.

Max Power
05-02-2012, 07:42
Eeeep! Never heard of Don Lunas..and I wasnt impressed with Don Julio Anejo. So...maybe I would go with Don Lunas just to try something different.

I like them both. Dos Lunas blanco is a bit more of a clean taste than Don Julio, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Don Julio has a bit more earth and grassy notes. Dos Lunas blanco is a bit thinner and is just agave forward with lighter spice/pepper.

The reposados of both brands are great. I like Don Julio better, but it's a close call.

The anejos are both good too. Don Julio is a very well aged and sweet/caramel flavor with little spice and is really smooth. Dos Lunas has a bit more flavors...including more oak, but isn't quite as smooth.

All in all, both tequilas are very good choices. My favorite out of all of them might be Don Julio Reposado. But you can't honestly go wrong with any of them.

Max Power
05-02-2012, 08:05
I haven't placed my tequila order yet but may do so today or tomorrow. I'm going with Hi Time and looking at picking up Fortaleza Blanco and Fortaleza Reposado, both of which are available to me here in Chicago but at much higher prices, even when shipping is factored in. Others on my short list include Corrido, Muchote and Dos Lunas (all unavailable here). Casa Noble, Chinaco, Arette and Siete Leguas are somewhat higher on my "want" list than those last three (with the exception perhaps of Corrido) but can be purchased at Binny's here in Chicago for comparable prices when Binny's runs their periodic 15% off all spirits sale. Given that it makes more sense to buy four or five bottles than two when calculating shipping, I might as well go for stuff I can't get here first and get the others later. (Also, my Mexican buddies are planning a huge party with live music, a goat roast, etc. Memorial Day weekend and I'd like to treat them to stuff they've never had before.) One thing I'm wrestling with is whether to go with blancos or reposados with all of these brands. I must admit that I have always favored reposados and anejos and have generally viewed (most) blancos as tequila better suited for mixers. But El Tesoro Platinum changed all that and now I'm craving the straight agave-in-your-face tequilas which has me re-thinking my erroneous attitude towards blancos. I fully expect Fortaleza Blanco to deliver what I'm after but with all the other brands, I just don't know.

In the past, I used to but single malts from Shoppers Vineyard but they seem to have suddenly terminated out-of-state sales, so I'm now looking elsewhere.

Fortaleza blanco is widely viewed as one of the best blancos out there. I can't disagree with that...I love the stuff. The reposado is good too, but not as good as the blanco (And I'm a reposado/anejo guy for the most part too).

I will tell you this: For the value, you MUST get Muchote. Also, you will never find better prices than Hi Time has on Dos Lunas. The blanco is good for sipping or mixing, but it's a bit more thin bodied. The repo and anejo are both very good too. They are generally much more expensive. Corrido anejo is my very favorite tequila...out of the 250+ that I've tried. I would recommed the whole line, but the anejo is a must in my book. It has everything you want from an anejo. Corrido blanco has exactly what you're looking for in terms of an in your face agave flavor as well.

From there I would rank:

1. Siete Leguas (the blanco fits your description as well)
2. Chinaco
3. Casa Noble
4. Arrette (Although I've only had the reposado)

You've got a very good shopping list going. Your Memorial Day party tequila selection is going to make people happy. If you wanted a 6 bottle shopping list, this is what I would do:

Blanco - Fortaleza, Corrido
Reposado - Muchote, Fortaleza
Anejo - Corrido, Dos Lunas

Vange
05-03-2012, 07:35
Welcome Max and awesome info.

So, I have been drinking tequila for nearly 10 years now. I am admittedly an absolute anejo snob. I like the depth, the wood, the oak. Same reason I love overaged bourbon (pappy 20) and macalan 18, etc. The Blue Agave forum is a great place for tequila discussion if you are looking for more outlets of discussion. Some of my favs though are:

Don Fulano Imperrial (DFI)
Herradura Selecion Suprema - the OLDER stuff, no the new bottle wit EXTRA ANEJO on it. that is lesser.
JC RdF - 2004 and BEFORE. There was a line drawn for after 2004 where quality went down.
Don Julio 1942 - again, the older bottling. The newer one pales in comparison.
El Tesoro anejo - always amazing, if you can find a white label one, jump at it
El Tesoto paradiso - again, the older one...seeing a trend here yet?
Penca Azul anejo - champagne of anejos, so good though
Casa Noble - 5 year, even the 2 year is good. A pure tequila.
Herencia Historico - old 5 year..
Rey Sol

Patron was once good, then got popular, new NOM and now its average (but 10 times better than JCG or JCE)

Being an anejo drinker for 10 years, I am upset at some of the product changes of products I used to love. Now I go around searching for tequila dusties with markings of it being an older bottling...

My tequila collection has therefore diminished, but its nice to see all the new brands/labels entering the market.

smokinjoe
05-03-2012, 09:31
I picked up a bottle of that Clase Azul Reposado yesterday for our Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday. Sipped on a few pours last night. Without a doubt, the finest Tequila I have ever tasted. Thanks for the heads-up on it Max and Dave.

Max Power
05-03-2012, 09:58
Welcome Max and awesome info.

So, I have been drinking tequila for nearly 10 years now. I am admittedly an absolute anejo snob. I like the depth, the wood, the oak. Same reason I love overaged bourbon (pappy 20) and macalan 18, etc. The Blue Agave forum is a great place for tequila discussion if you are looking for more outlets of discussion. Some of my favs though are:

Don Fulano Imperrial (DFI)
Herradura Selecion Suprema - the OLDER stuff, no the new bottle wit EXTRA ANEJO on it. that is lesser.
JC RdF - 2004 and BEFORE. There was a line drawn for after 2004 where quality went down.
Don Julio 1942 - again, the older bottling. The newer one pales in comparison.
El Tesoro anejo - always amazing, if you can find a white label one, jump at it
El Tesoto paradiso - again, the older one...seeing a trend here yet?
Penca Azul anejo - champagne of anejos, so good though
Casa Noble - 5 year, even the 2 year is good. A pure tequila.
Herencia Historico - old 5 year..
Rey Sol

Patron was once good, then got popular, new NOM and now its average (but 10 times better than JCG or JCE)

Being an anejo drinker for 10 years, I am upset at some of the product changes of products I used to love. Now I go around searching for tequila dusties with markings of it being an older bottling...

My tequila collection has therefore diminished, but its nice to see all the new brands/labels entering the market.

I'll admit that I tend towards reposados because I like the agave punch to the face with a mild mellowing and character from the wood. However, I try to judge all tequilas based on what they bring to the table.

I actually just put my blog link in my signature that has reviews on many tequilas. I'm only up to 81 reviews right now...I have tasting notes and reviews to do for about 150 more right now. I mention that for example, I'm not a huge fan of anejos that get a thick dark chocolate/mocha character, but I know people that love them. So, I mention the profile without being critical whenever possible.

I like many of the ones on your list. I've never heard anyone say Don Fulano is worth the price point, but i know I'll have to try it someday. The good and the bad with tequila is that there's 2000+ kinds so there's always something new. The bad is that you feel like you can never get to some of them.

In your list, I love Penca Azul, DJ 1942 (green label...I have a brown label bottle, but it's unopened), Casa Noble.

I'm all about finding cheap gems. Your list doesn't lack in price either. Check out these under $50 anejos.

Cavalino (like a more aged Muchote)
Volcan de mi Tierra
Azunia (amazing complexity)
Ancestra Single Barrel Anejo (maybe too sweet, but really good)
Centinela (fruity)
Chinaco (old bottlings)
Don Abraham (tons of bourbon influence)
Don Pilar (also tons of bourbon...really well aged)
JLP
Marquez de Valencia
Riazul (not $50 or under...but is amazing)
Pura vida
T1 (really rich and dark)
Reserva de Mexico
Don Fernando
Sol de Mexico (tons of flavors and character)
Trago (fruity)
Viva Mexico

The list goes on and on...

Max Power
05-03-2012, 10:00
I picked up a bottle of that Clase Azul Reposado yesterday for our Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday. Sipped on a few pours last night. Without a doubt, the finest Tequila I have ever tasted. Thanks for the heads-up on it Max and Dave.

A tequila like that can change the way you look at agave spirits and how well they can be crafted. Let me know if you're looking for any specific flavor profiles and I'm glad to help. Enjoy that bottle...Cheers!:toast:

Jono
05-03-2012, 13:30
Max Power, you have great website!

If find the range of bottle styles very interesting with the Tequila and other Mexican spirits.

Max Power
05-03-2012, 14:12

If find the range of bottle styles very interesting with the Tequila and other Mexican spirits.

Thanks. I've only gotten serious about it (the blog...not tequila) over the past couple of weeks. I still have a lot more work to be done. I'm hoping to make it into a bit of a part time job with some local tequila consulting for restaurants and the occasional ad on the site. Hopefully that leads to industry samples as well. :grin:

Clavius
05-03-2012, 14:51

+1! Great site.

ebo
05-03-2012, 17:15
Max, thanks for all the great info and insight on this wonderful, new spirit (new for me, anyway). I only have a few, cheaper Tequilas at the moment, but I'm really loving this new flavor profile.

This is just in time, and very informative for any of us "newbies" to this fine spirit. I hope you enjoy this. http://youtu.be/sHCR0378g5Y

alexandergjones
05-03-2012, 17:51
Max I completely Devoured your site! Great job on all the reviews. Looks Like I have a new spirit to get addicted to besides bourbon and Gin. Good thing my wife enjoys good cocktails so she doesnt get to mad when I buy copious amounts of liquor.

Max Power
05-03-2012, 19:07
Max, thanks for all the great info and insight on this wonderful, new spirit (new for me, anyway). I only have a few, cheaper Tequilas at the moment, but I'm really loving this new flavor profile.

This is just in time, and very informative for any of us "newbies" to this fine spirit. I hope you enjoy this. http://youtu.be/sHCR0378g5Y

Glad to help. I have a passion for the stuff and the desire to help people spread the word that what they know of tequila may not be as much as they think. I know had I had no idea a couple years ago what was out there.

Max Power
05-03-2012, 19:08
Max I completely Devoured your site! Great job on all the reviews. Looks Like I have a new spirit to get addicted to besides bourbon and Gin. Good thing my wife enjoys good cocktails so she doesnt get to mad when I buy copious amounts of liquor.

Stay Tuned. I have tasting notes on 80 more and still 70 more unopened bottles in the bunker. I'm looking forward to trying and reviewing them all.

Thanks for the kind words.

unclebunk
05-04-2012, 06:38
Stay Tuned. I have tasting notes on 80 more and still 70 more unopened bottles in the bunker. I'm looking forward to trying and reviewing them all.

Thanks for the kind words.

Loved the site too and enjoyed the photos as much as your insightful reviews. But Max, I'm gonna end up in the poor house because of you!:lol:

unclebunk
05-04-2012, 06:54
Went to a friend's house Wednesday night for a few beers and he busted out an unopened bottle of Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado. No disrespect to those who might enjoy the stuff but after all the fine quality tequilas I've been sampling lately, I can say unequivocally that I absolutely HATED it from the very first sip. I find it sharp, thin and completely lacking in the floral notes that I've come to enjoy. And talk about a pounding headache yesterday morning!:bigeyes: I'm going to gift my buddy a bottle of Gran Centenario Reposado, which he could have bought for the same price, so he'll have something decent in his cabinet that costs under $25. Or maybe I'll put an extra bottle of Muchote in my shopping cart when I place my on-line order and really treat him to something special and affordable.

Max Power
05-04-2012, 08:37
Went to a friend's house Wednesday night for a few beers and he busted out an unopened bottle of Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado. No disrespect to those who might enjoy the stuff but after all the fine quality tequilas I've been sampling lately, I can say unequivocally that I absolutely HATED it from the very first sip. I find it sharp, thin and completely lacking in the floral notes that I've come to enjoy. And talk about a pounding headache yesterday morning!:bigeyes: I'm going to gift my buddy a bottle of Gran Centenario Reposado, which he could have bought for the same price, so he'll have something decent in his cabinet that costs under $25. Or maybe I'll put an extra bottle of Muchote in my shopping cart when I place my on-line order and really treat him to something special and affordable.

Thanks for checking out the site. I know that eventually I have to review the less interesting tequilas and you pretty much have it right with JC Tradicional. This brand is popular in Mexico because it's cheap and available...and they don't drink mixtos like Americans do.

It's not really a tequila meant for sipping. It's not a terrible mixer, but for the money, there's just better values out there. The funny thing is that Gran Cent is made by Casa Cuervo. Same company, but different missions with each tequila. I really like GC because it delivers a nice spice mixture (the anejo is particularly like a bakery) for a good price. That's definitely more of a craft/sipping brand than JC Tradicional.

That's what I try to do with the blog and reviews. Anyone in the world can tell you that a $100 tequila is smooth and tastes good. I'm trying to differentiate so that people know where the best values are based on what their palate likes in a tequila.

Hopefully everyone can learn something and enjoy learning more about what the world of agave juice has to offer. Sorry about making you go broke, but hopefully you're enjoying the ride.

Clavius
05-04-2012, 18:52
Alright guys, I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado today. Going to give it a try when I get home!

bigtoys
05-04-2012, 22:19
"Max":
glad I checked the nonwhiskey forum and found your tequila recs since I didn't remember them or write them somewhere during last night's chat. I actually fell asleep with the computer on my chest and when I woke up everyone had left.
Looks like Binnys has the Clase Azul Repo and I'm probably gonna get a bottle this weekend. Noticed they also have a $1600 bottle--have you tasted that?
One of my coworkers was asking me about tequilas (he liked my 1921 rec last year) for his 5 de Mayo party and I'm gonna send him your list of 6 and the link to your website.

thanks again.

Max Power
05-04-2012, 23:07
"Max":
glad I checked the nonwhiskey forum and found your tequila recs since I didn't remember them or write them somewhere during last night's chat. I actually fell asleep with the computer on my chest and when I woke up everyone had left.
Looks like Binnys has the Clase Azul Repo and I'm probably gonna get a bottle this weekend. Noticed they also have a $1600 bottle--have you tasted that?
One of my coworkers was asking me about tequilas (he liked my 1921 rec last year) for his 5 de Mayo party and I'm gonna send him your list of 6 and the link to your website.

thanks again.

Cool. I just posted a full list of what is currently in my basement in the "collecting" topic on the main page. Clase Azul is very good choice to be a crowd pleaser. It's got a great overall flavor and is mild enough to not offend any palates.

I've never had the $1600 bottle. Honestly, I don't see the point. I've had a few of the $200-300+ tequilas and I don't find any of them to be appreciably better than what can be had for $100 and under. I can't see myself ever paying for those ultra high end ones, but I would certainly drink them for free.

ebo
05-05-2012, 10:16
Ok, I just got home with a bottle of Don Julio Reposado, Espolon Repesado and Herradura Anejo.

I've decided that, although I like Blanco Tequilas, I prefer the Repesados, so far. I haven't tried an Anejo, yet. I'm hoping I like those, too.:cool:

unclebunk
05-05-2012, 12:14
Ok, I just got home with a bottle of Don Julio Reposado, Espolon Repesado and Herradura Anejo.

I've decided that, although I like Blanco Tequilas, I prefer the Repesados, so far. I haven't tried an Anejo, yet. I'm hoping I like those, too.:cool:

Aha! ebo jumps in with both feet!:lol: I suspect you'll love the anejos, and I think Herradura's is a good one. In about forty-five minutes my neighbors are kicking off their Cinco de Mayo party and I'm psyched because the food is always fabulous. They've got three generations of their family cooking up a storm and I'm just about to walk in to gastronomic paradise. Since I can't bring anything food-wise that is terribly authentic, I'm dropping by the party with a case of Victoria beer and bottles of El Tesoro Platinum and Gran Centenario Reposado. That ought to hold 'em!:grin:

moose
05-05-2012, 12:23
I've got Espolon Repo, but I think I will also pick up another tequila for tonight, maybe El Jimador Anejo.

Clavius
05-05-2012, 13:13

How did you try the Don Julio Reposado? What did you think of it?

bigtoys
05-05-2012, 15:53
Got a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado and immediately came home and made a margarita: 2 oz tequila, 2 oz. Agavero orange liqueur, 2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 oz sugar syrup. Wife approved; could probably up the tequila to 3 oz for a "stiffer" drink. chips and guac, too.

thanks, Max!!

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0712.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0714.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0716.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0717-1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0718.jpg
watching the Derby
also got this from the bourbon aisle
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0713.jpg

Bmac
05-05-2012, 16:01
Cool bottle. What's the price range on that?

Also...what is Gawd's name is that blurry green picture? O___O It scares my pancreas!

bigtoys
05-05-2012, 17:31

Also...what is Gawd's name is that blurry green picture? O___O It scares my pancreas!

$99

guac on a blue corn chip--a "little" out of focus, I'll admit

unclebunk
05-05-2012, 17:55
...guac on a blue corn chip--a "little" out of focus, I'll admit

Well I'll be damned. My guess was a funky looking green-headed chicken. My brother though said it looked more like my mother-in-law's profile. Come to think of it, he may have a point...:lol:

Max Power
05-05-2012, 18:32

You can find Clase Azul online for around $80. It's a fantastic bottle. That's a pricey margarita you're making, but I'm sure it's awesome.

I'm interested to hear what people think of the Don Julio Repo. It's one of my favorites. A great balance of what repo should be.

Espolon is great for the money as well.

I've only hadd Herraddura anejo once an I remember it being pretty good...best of the Herradura line. A bit syrupy, but good flavor.

I'm about to get the kids to bed and start celebrating Cinco de Mayo properly.

Max Power
05-05-2012, 18:36
Max Power's Margarita Recipe: (makes a few)

8 oz fresh lime juice
8 oz tequila (I'd list a specific one, but there's too many and depends on mood)
2 oz Grand Marnier
1 oz Cointreau
2 oz Agave Nectar

Shake it up, serve on the rocks...enjoy. It make about 20 ounces, so you get 4 decent ones out of it. Or one really awesome one. :grin:

redbear
05-05-2012, 19:32
Anybody have an opinion on the Jose Cuervo Anejo that looks like this bottle? I passed on one the other day. I know they don't make it anymore. Is it tasty enough to buy?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aImCGLulQiI/S_1Zm07cs7I/AAAAAAAAAA8/-hRWfeUetAo/s1600/1111_jose_cuervo_tequila_anejo_1234643939%5B1%5D.j pg

Max Power
05-05-2012, 23:33
Anybody have an opinion on the Jose Cuervo Anejo that looks like this bottle? I passed on one the other day. I know they don't make it anymore. Is it tasty enough to buy?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aImCGLulQiI/S_1Zm07cs7I/AAAAAAAAAA8/-hRWfeUetAo/s1600/1111_jose_cuervo_tequila_anejo_1234643939%5B1%5D.j pg

Depends on the price. It's basically similar to the current RdF extra anejo. If it's under $70, it's a steal. Over $100 and they're just trying to gouge you. It's a nice collector bottle though if you're interested in that.

ebo
05-06-2012, 05:55
How did you try the Don Julio Reposado? What did you think of it?

I don't know what I was expecting, but it's more "delicate"? than I thought it would be. That isn't a bad thing. I just figured it might be a bit more robust, for some reason. It has a great flavor that I found kind of citric and floral.

I have to admit that I didn't give it a proper sit down tasting. I had people over and I was going between beer and a bottle of Patron that a buddy brought. He wanted to try the Don Julio, so I cracked it open and we had a small taste.

I really need to sit down with a pour and get to know it before I can give a better opinion of it.

ebo
05-06-2012, 06:23
Since I'm very new to Tequila, can someone please tell me what NOM means? I see it on tequila forums I've perused, but I have no idea what it means.

Max Power
05-06-2012, 08:05
Since I'm very new to Tequila, can someone please tell me what NOM means? I see it on tequila forums I've perused, but I have no idea what it means.

The NOM is the government assigned number for that particular distillery. Having it ensures that the tequila is authentic. The same NOM can produce many different brands. They may be owned by the same company, but it may also be "contract distillery" that produces for a given brand owner.

Here is a link that explains it pretty well:

http://www.tequila.net/faqs/tequila/what-is-the-nom.html

ebo
05-06-2012, 08:37
Thanks, Max.

NOM: Norma Oficial Mexicana

Clavius
05-06-2012, 21:18
I finally got around to tasting the Don Julio Reposado that I purchased. Let me say that, for someone new to tequila, the nose on this stuff is incredible. I don't even know how to describe most of what I smell, but I like it! Upon tasting it is very smooth yet rich.

luther.r
05-07-2012, 12:17
Depends on the price. It's basically similar to the current RdF extra anejo. If it's under $70, it's a steal. Over $100 and they're just trying to gouge you. It's a nice collector bottle though if you're interested in that.

I would say that it's similar to the current RdF but not quite as good. There seems to be some consensus that the JCA is the same juice as the best year or two of RdF from the early 2000s. If it's anywhere under $100 I'd say it's a great buy.

ebo
05-07-2012, 16:14
I sat down with the Don Julio Reposado, with a clean palate. This stuff is amazing. The nose is honey and vanilla, which I also get on the palate. It's like drinking a liquid creamsicle with a bit of pepper. :cool:

Clavius
05-07-2012, 16:53
I sat down with the Don Julio Reposado, with a clean palate. This stuff is amazing. The nose is honey and vanilla, which I also get on the palate. It's like drinking a liquid creamsicle with a bit of pepper. :cool:
I agree, I'm starting to really like the stuff. Now I want to know what the Anejo tastes like...

Ejmharris
05-07-2012, 18:15
Picked up Tres Agave Blanco ($25) and El Mayor Anejo ($29). Both seemed liked good deals and I faintly remember Kevin (maxpower) gave them pretty good write ups. The Tres Agave was a gift pack with a lime squeezer and Agave Nectar bottle. It had a very fresh and clean flavor. I am looking forward getting a lime for a margarita with it but it is very in nice neat. What it makes me think of is that it is a non-tequila drinkers tequila but still all can enjoy. Would be nice to taste a bigger flavor at a higher abv. Is all tequila sold at 80 proof in the US?

As for the El mayor, not sure what to think about it yet. I will say I think it is a nice price at $29 but that was a $10 off sale. I will need to get another pour, but I expected a little more smoothness with this one. It has a fantastic color out of the bottle. Not sure what the regs are for coloring tequila. I like the flavor on the palette just punched you a little on the finish.

Max Power
05-07-2012, 19:10
Picked up Tres Agave Blanco ($25) and El Mayor Anejo ($29). Both seemed liked good deals and I faintly remember Kevin (maxpower) gave them pretty good write ups. The Tres Agave was a gift pack with a lime squeezer and Agave Nectar bottle. It had a very fresh and clean flavor. I am looking forward getting a lime for a margarita with it but it is very in nice neat. What it makes me think of is that it is a non-tequila drinkers tequila but still all can enjoy. Would be nice to taste a bigger flavor at a higher abv. Is all tequila sold at 80 proof in the US?

As for the El mayor, not sure what to think about it yet. I will say I think it is a nice price at $29 but that was a $10 off sale. I will need to get another pour, but I expected a little more smoothness with this one. It has a fantastic color out of the bottle. Not sure what the regs are for coloring tequila. I like the flavor on the palette just punched you a little on the finish.

I agree with everything that you said about Tres Agaves. It's a very nice pour for $25. It's versatile enough to use straight or as a mixer.

I've never tasted El Mayor blanco. The anejo is pretty good and reposado is OK. You must have it confused with another brand because I don't think I'd recommend El Mayor at the price point.

And for reference, most US tequila is 80 proof. KAH reposado is 110 proof and Agave 99 is 99 proof (clever name, no?). Peligroso is 84 proof. Those are the ones that I can think of offhand.

Max Power
05-07-2012, 19:12
I agree, I'm starting to really like the stuff. Now I want to know what the Anejo tastes like...

Yes...yes you do. Although I will admit that I think I like the reposado a bit more. It keeps the agave kick better while the anejo is sweeter, smoother and more candy like. The spiciness of the agave is lost a bit in the anejo. With that said, it is delicious and is a spirit for all occasions and for all people given it's flavor profile. Don Julio is just a solid overall brand.

Ejmharris
05-07-2012, 19:39
I agree with everything that you said about Tres Agaves. It's a very nice pour for $25. It's versatile enough to use straight or as a mixer.

I've never tasted El Mayor blanco. The anejo is pretty good and reposado is OK. You must have it confused with another brand because I don't think I'd recommend El Mayor at the price point.

And for reference, most US tequila is 80 proof. KAH reposado is 110 proof and Agave 99 is 99 proof (clever name, no?). Peligroso is 84 proof. Those are the ones that I can think of offhand.

It looks like you are right, it wasn't really a recommendation now that I look back. I did have a second pour tonight and liked it much better though. It looks like you picked up on some wood that I didn't get, but my taste buds are not very discriminate. I did go back and smell the glass after it was gone and it has a crazy carmel aroma almost like bourbon. I will go back to this one.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-66-el-mayor-anejo.html?m=1

Max Power
05-07-2012, 19:45
It looks like you are right, it wasn't really a recommendation now that I look back. I did have a second pour tonight and liked it much better though. It looks like you picked up on some wood that I didn't get, but my taste buds are not very discriminate. I did go back and smell the glass after it was gone and it has a crazy carmel aroma almost like bourbon. I will go back to this one.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-66-el-mayor-anejo.html?m=1

For some reason, I thought you wrote El Mayor blanco. For $29, El Mayor Anejo is a good buy. It does have a very rich caramel taste to it. It was an interesting tequila because the nose SCREAMS caramel, but it's not as strong on the tongue. Also, for a tequila aged that long (and that dark color) you usually don't get quite as much spice. It's unique for an anejo.

AaronWF
05-09-2012, 10:46
Question for the tequila mavens. Herradurra blanco, taller bottle with old label, 46% alc/vol. Good stuff? Like, I mean mind-blowingly rare and spectacular, or just good stuff? Or just, like, not that great?

unclebunk
05-09-2012, 11:14
Question for the tequila mavens. Herradurra blanco, taller bottle with old label, 46% alc/vol. Good stuff? Like, I mean mind-blowingly rare and spectacular, or just good stuff? Or just, like, not that great?

And while you're at it, I found a bottle of Herradura Reposado in the taller bottle for $37 but it doesn't look terribly old. Is that just current juice in a non-export bottle (like what you'd find on the shelf in Mexico today) or something older worth buying? I know you're not wild about Herradura, Kevin, but I'm a fan and I wondered if this might be better juice than what's typically available.

luther.r
05-09-2012, 12:47

Herradurra installed a "diffuser" around 2001, which is basically a fancy machine that washes the crushed agave fiber and cooks down the resulting solution to extract more sugars from the agave. Most Herradurra fans think post-diffuser juice is not nearly as good as pre-diffuser.

Max Power
05-09-2012, 14:59

I've had the 92 proof taller bottle, but never any aged one. It's basically the same as the short bottle with maybe a little less earth and a bit more alcohol bite (to be expected). It's nothing worth rushing out and getting unless you're collecting and worried about not finding it again.

AaronWF
05-09-2012, 15:09
Herradurra installed a "diffuser" around 2001, which is basically a fancy machine that washes the crushed agave fiber and cooks down the resulting solution to extract more sugars from the agave. Most Herradurra fans think post-diffuser juice is not nearly as good as pre-diffuser.

I've had the 92 proof taller bottle, but never any aged one. It's basically the same as the short bottle with maybe a little less earth and a bit more alcohol bite (to be expected). It's nothing worth rushing out and getting unless you're collecting and worried about not finding it again.

Excellent, thanks guys!

luther.r
05-11-2012, 10:17
TPS just came out with the first (to my knowledge) barrel proof tequila (http://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=31242). I'm planning on ordering some.

You can read more here (http://www.blueagaveforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6470-tequila-ocho-anejo-party-source-private-barrel/).

Ejmharris
05-11-2012, 11:07
TPS just came out with the first (to my knowledge) barrel proof tequila (http://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=31242). I'm planning on ordering some.

You can read more here (http://www.blueagaveforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6470-tequila-ocho-anejo-party-source-private-barrel/).

I saw it today at the store, at 7:50am to be exact. I will get some today but was focused on the ORVW 10/107 I had picked up. Looks to be a nice tequila. They have a single barrel selection of case noble Anejo and blanco as well.

For those thy may think I have a problem being at TPS at 7 am. They had their van winkle release this morning. Some how they had the VWFR rye available. I was two back in line when the guy grabbed the last one.

Max Power
05-11-2012, 12:26
I saw it today at the store, at 7:50am to be exact. I will get some today but was focused on the ORVW 10/107 I had picked up. Looks to be a nice tequila. They have a single barrel selection of case noble Anejo and blanco as well.

For those thy may think I have a problem being at TPS at 7 am. They had their van winkle release this morning. Some how they had the VWFR rye available. I was two back in line when the guy grabbed the last one.

Tequila Ocho is a good tequila, but is very overpriced. For $75+, I'll wait to try this one. The last two Ochos that I had weren't worth the price for certain.

ebo
05-11-2012, 18:28
My brother gave me a bottle of 1800 reposado. After reading many negative reviews on it, I have to say, I kinda like it.

I think the nose is the best attribute..... butter rum life savers/butterscotch.

The palate isn't great, but I don't find it to be all that bad; it's quite drinkable, IMO.

Ejmharris
05-11-2012, 19:43
My brother gave me a bottle of 1800 reposado. After reading many negative reviews on it, I have to say, I kinda like it.

I think the nose is the best attribute..... butter rum life savers/butterscotch.

The palate isn't great, but I don't find it to be all that bad; it's quite drinkable, IMO.

I don't mid the 1800 products. Mostly use the for margaritas but I think they are serviceable neat as well. I don't have much background with Tequila but I kid of like the 1800 as well.

Max Power
05-13-2012, 13:37

Everyone likes what they like. It's one of my least favorite only because of the strong astringent alcohol taste. It just kills any agave or aging flavor to me. But there's plenty of stuff that I really like that other people wouldn't.

bigtoys
05-13-2012, 14:40
Gonna need another bottle of Clase Azul soon. My wife likes it in a marg and I gave 3 oz to a friend.
Last night I made a big guava marg for me and a small mango marg for my wife. pureed fresh fruit for both. they were ok, but kind of like a "lemontini" being a martini--NOT. It's like a fruity drink with tequila. Will probably be going back to traditional marg recipe.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0741.jpg

also got mini bottle of Kah blanco--love skulls

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0743.jpg

gblick
05-15-2012, 13:01
Do any of y'all like sangrita with your tequila? Back when I used to drink tequila, I got pretty good at making sangrita.

unclebunk
05-15-2012, 13:18
The on-line order has been placed: Fortaleza Blanco, Muchote Reposado, Corrido Anejo and Dos Lunas Anejo. Can't wait for them to arrive. Last night, after the Rangers-Devils game, we sat outside and enjoyed a few bottles of Bohemia and several pours of El Jimador Reposado (light and refreshing) and Sauza Hornitos (crisp and clean). Nothing fancy but a great night just the same!

Max Power
05-15-2012, 18:14
The on-line order has been placed: Fortaleza Blanco, Muchote Reposado, Corrido Anejo and Dos Lunas Anejo. Can't wait for them to arrive. Last night, after the Rangers-Devils game, we sat outside and enjoyed a few bottles of Bohemia and several pours of El Jimador Reposado (light and refreshing) and Sauza Hornitos (crisp and clean). Nothing fancy but a great night just the same!

That's a damn near perfect tequila order. Enjoy.

Max Power
05-16-2012, 22:00
I'm exploring new ones tonight and have found some very interesting tequilas.

Paqui is a nice lowland blanco with a lot of character, but a less than great finish.

Alma Reposado has a ton of character and everything you would want out of a reposado. Great flavor mix and an awesome repo finish. I've had the bottle for years and have neglected it...Not Anymore!

unclebunk
05-17-2012, 06:19
That's a damn near perfect tequila order. Enjoy.

Couldn't have done it without you!:grin: I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these, as they each sound fantastic and quite different from what I already own. I'm easy to please in most instances, so will undoubtedy find something to enjoy in each one. Sadly, I'm not having much luck turning my bourbon-loving/casual tequila-drinking friends on to much of the really good stuff. They seem perfectly content drinking Cazadores and the rest is wasted upon them. Nothing wrong with Cazadores, but when the $40+ bottles hit the table and they simply shrug when they drink it, I'm of the mind to keep my Herradura and El Tesoro back in the cabinet for private consumption. I suspect the same will prove to be the case with my new stuff when it arrives. (And my wife always reaches for blancos when making margaritas, so the Fortaleza will definitely be kept in a safe place--my belly!)

Brisko
05-17-2012, 08:43
Not tequila, but I finally opened my Scorpion Silver mezcal last night. The nose is unremarkable: loads of agave and whiffs of acetone and saddle soap. No smoke to speak of. That all changes with the first sip: a big blast of smoke and some flavors of peppercorns, white and black, and some chilis. It lacks some of the raw, green spirit notes that are so typical in unaged distillates. Finish is pretty long and pleasantly smoky (like the mild, narrow gauge cigarettes that women past middle age used to smoke).

Very easy to drink, and shares a lot in common with Islay malts, but more subtle.

unclebunk
05-17-2012, 09:15
Not tequila, but I finally opened my Scorpion Silver mezcal last night. The nose is unremarkable: loads of agave and whiffs of acetone and saddle soap. No smoke to speak of. That all changes with the first sip: a big blast of smoke and some flavors of peppercorns, white and black, and some chilis. It lacks some of the raw, green spirit notes that are so typical in unaged distillates. Finish is pretty long and pleasantly smoky (like the mild, narrow gauge cigarettes that women past middle age used to smoke).

Very easy to drink, and shares a lot in common with Islay malts, but more subtle.

How much did you pay for that, if you don't mind my asking? Could be one to seek out.

Max Power
05-17-2012, 09:32

I'm not the biggest Mexcal drinker, but I just bought Embajador blanco and repo from Hi Time for $18.99 each. I tried the reposado and it's an absolute smoke bomb with a sweet entry. Very interesting. For those who like the big islay tastes, this is a great deal for $18.99.

Brisko
05-17-2012, 09:37
I believe I paid $34 for it. It was on the novelty shelf at my neighborhood store and had been there for a while.

Most online stores that list it have it around $40. I haven't seen the silver anywhere else but a couple of places carry the reposado and anejos.

Based on my first taste, and very limited knowledge of agave spirits, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can find it.

luther.r
05-17-2012, 12:59
This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!

bigtoys
05-17-2012, 14:32
back from Costco
Lookin' forward to some fine margs per Max's rec

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0750-1.jpg

unclebunk
05-17-2012, 14:50
This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!

Woohoo! Nice one, Luther. Enjoy!:grin:

Max Power
05-17-2012, 15:16

I've been wanting to try that for a while. I need to get down to Mexico again so that I can get a bottle.

Max Power
05-17-2012, 15:17
back from Costco
Lookin' forward to some fine margs per Max's rec

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0750-1.jpg

It's a good mixer for an anejo. Lots of nice complimentary flavors. I almost bought a bottle today on my trip to Costco. For $20, you can't lose.

bigtoys
05-17-2012, 19:13
probably not fair, but we poured the Kirkland anejo ($20) and the Clase Azul reposado ($100) and did a blind taste test. I found the Kirkland thin with a strong alcohol smell. The CA was way smoother and sweeter. We'll have to see how the Kirkland does in a margarita; otherwise it's $20 down the drain--literally.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/smallkirklandvclaseazul.jpg

sob0728
05-17-2012, 20:38
probably not fair, but we poured the Kirkland anejo ($20) and the Clase Azul reposado ($100) and did a blind taste test. I found the Kirkland thin with a strong alcohol smell. The CA was way smoother and sweeter. We'll have to see how the Kirkland does in a margarita; otherwise it's $20 down the drain--literally.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/smallkirklandvclaseazul.jpg

I actually like the Kirkland Anejo neat, but putting it next to Clase Azul is unfair in every way. It should be a fine mixer.

Max Power
05-18-2012, 12:51
I actually like the Kirkland Anejo neat, but putting it next to Clase Azul is unfair in every way. It should be a fine mixer.

This. They're not in the same class. It's like trying to compare JB White Label to PVW15. It's not really a fair fight.

Clase Azul is in the class of tequilas that is VERY sweet. That might be the type you like best. NOM 1472 makes them a bit more earthy and often with more fruit. I really like Kirkland as an aged mixer for the price, but I'd never expect it to as good as something that costs 5x as much.

unclebunk
05-18-2012, 13:11
Starting early on a beautiful day here in Chicago. Was hoping my order from Hi Time Wine Cellars would arrive today but it looks like tomorrow's the arrival day, so I'm sipping on some Gran Centenario Reposado and an ice cold Bohemia. This will be a fun evening!

smokinjoe
05-18-2012, 15:50
Starting early on a beautiful day here in Chicago. Was hoping my order from Hi Time Wine Cellars would arrive today but it looks like tomorrow's the arrival day, so I'm sipping on some Gran Centenario Reposado and an ice cold Bohemia. This will be a fun evening!

Similar circumstances here, Hank. Sippin' on Tres Generaciones Anejo and ice cold Modelo.

Max Power
05-18-2012, 17:23
sob is coming over tonight. We'll probably mix it up with tequila, bourbon and scotch. Small tastes of a lot of things. Maybe a blind tasting bracket or something.

I know that we'll drink Angel's Envy, Balvenie Peated Cask 17 year and Aberlour A'Bunadh. Everything else is up in the air.

I've got a shipment coming from Hi Time tomorrow as well. Both nights should be good ones.

unclebunk
05-18-2012, 18:00
sob is coming over tonight. We'll probably mix it up with tequila, bourbon and scotch. Small tastes of a lot of things. Maybe a blind tasting bracket or something.

I know that we'll drink Angel's Envy, Balvenie Peated Cask 17 year and Aberlour A'Bunadh. Everything else is up in the air.

I've got a shipment coming from Hi Time tomorrow as well. Both nights should be good ones.

Sounds like a great night ahead. Wish you guys were closer so I could join you. Have fun!

Max Power
05-18-2012, 22:21
Sounds like a great night ahead. Wish you guys were closer so I could join you. Have fun!A fine night of tasting with SOB:

1. Embajador Mezcal
2. Angel's Envy
3. SB Blend
4. Aberlour
5. Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
6. Glenfiddich 15
7. Balvenie 17 Peated Cask
8. Great King Street
9. OF Birthday Bourbon
10. Elijah Craig 18
11. Crotalo Anejo
12. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado
13. JLP Reposado
14. Partida Anejo
15. Fina Estampa Blanco
16. Pura Vida Blanco
17. Don Julio 70th
18. 4 Copas Blanco
19. Chaya Blanco (15-19 done in blind tasting)
20. Aberlour 12
21. Tequileno 50th Ann. Anejo
22. El Ultimo Blanco

Obviously everything is a small sampling, but really a great variety of tastings done tonight. Twins victory and good basketball. A good night all around.

What Chicago burb are you in? My in-laws are in the Lake Geneva, WI area. A tasting may be possible at some point...

unclebunk
05-19-2012, 07:35
A fine night of tasting with SOB:

1. Embajador Mezcal
2. Angel's Envy
3. SB Blend
4. Aberlour
5. Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
6. Glenfiddich 15
7. Balvenie 17 Peated Cask
8. Great King Street
9. OF Birthday Bourbon
10. Elijah Craig 18
11. Crotalo Anejo
12. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado
13. JLP Reposado
14. Partida Anejo
15. Fina Estampa Blanco
16. Pura Vida Blanco
17. Don Julio 70th
18. 4 Copas Blanco
19. Chaya Blanco (15-19 done in blind tasting)
20. Aberlour 12
21. Tequileno 50th Ann. Anejo
22. El Ultimo Blanco

Obviously everything is a small sampling, but really a great variety of tastings done tonight. Twins victory and good basketball. A good night all around.

What Chicago burb are you in? My in-laws are in the Lake Geneva, WI area. A tasting may be possible at some point...

I'm in the near western suburbs and can see the Sears Tower from my corner on a clear. As I always say, "Have liver, will travel!":lol:

Max Power
05-20-2012, 12:11
Did your shipment come on Saturday? What did you crack open?

unclebunk
05-20-2012, 13:00
Did your shipment come on Saturday? What did you crack open?

Yes and no. After waiting around at home until 1:30, hoping the shipment would arrive, I had to leave the house to take my son to his baseball game. My wife returned home one half hour later but the Fed Ex guy showed up literally minutes after I took off, so we missed him and now I have to wait until Tuesday.:hot: Made do with loads of Bohemia and the better part of a bottle of Hornitos.

Max Power
05-21-2012, 20:06
Doing some sampling and reviewing tonight.

Seis Hermanas Blanco
Reserva de Mexico Anejo
Corzo Reposado
Viva Mexico Reposado
Marques de Valencia Reposado

Good stuff.

Trey Manthey
05-22-2012, 19:43
My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?

Max Power
05-23-2012, 08:32
My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?

A lot of bottles have them. I've never found that it makes that much of a difference.

bunk - did you get the shipment and crack anything open last night?

unclebunk
05-23-2012, 10:08
The shipment arrived in the early evening and I had commitments that kept me out too late to have a drink when I got home. One thing I will say is that the Fortaleza, Corrido and Dos Lunas bottles are beautiful to look at (especially the Fortaleza) and look wonderful in my glass cabinet. Even the Muchote bottle has a charm of its own, with the emphasis quite obviously geared towards simplicity. I'm really looking forward to sampling all of them and think I'll start with the Fortaleza Blanco and Muchote Reposado tonight. Tomorrow night will be the anejos, Dos Lunas then Corrido as the finale. Funnily enough, this tequila purchase is actually quite reminiscent of the feeling I had when I fell head-long into bourbon, back to the time when my first waking thought of each day was what to sample later that evening. I must be suffering from tequilarexia nervosa!:lol:

luther.r
05-23-2012, 12:56

There have been a lot of problems in Mexico with people refilling used bottles, sealing them, and reselling them as new (but with swill inside instead of what's labeled). The plastic thing is supposed to make it more difficult to refill the bottles.

unclebunk
05-25-2012, 09:09
Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!

Max Power
05-25-2012, 09:47
Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!

If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?

unclebunk
05-25-2012, 10:44
If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?

I'm not surprised by Muchote's performance in the blind tastings, and at $25 it truly is a steal. My Mexican buddies are going to be blown away when I present them with their own bottle at the Memorial Day party they're throwing. Finally, a chance for the gringo to turn them on to something and not the other way around!:lol:

We didn't get to the Fortaleza, as we were enjoying the Muchote so much and didn't want to get in to a "which one do you like better" sort of thing. So, Fortaleza is on deck for tonight, along with more Bohemia beer and Calexico blaring on the outdoor stereo. This is gonna be a fun weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZKxXEKdBj0&feature=related

smokinjoe
05-26-2012, 10:07

Dangit, Hank! You had to up and mention Elle McPherson's legs. Now, I'm going to have to go out and get another bottle of tequila!! Glad it's only 25 bucks, though.

PS: If you by chance see Adriana Lima as a descriptor in your next liquor experience, please let the bottle be inexpensive...Because I will be buying it by the case! :D

Max Power
05-26-2012, 10:41
Dangit, Hank! You had to up and mention Elle McPherson's legs. Now, I'm going to have to go out and get another bottle of tequila!! Glad it's only 25 bucks, though.

PS: If you by chance see Adriana Lima as a descriptor in your next liquor experience, please let the bottle be inexpensive...Because I will be buying it by the case! :D

Corrido Anejo is as smooth as Adriana Lima's thighs and has perfect thickness like her butt. Just saying...

unclebunk
05-26-2012, 12:48

Amen, brother. And drinking it through a straw to make it last longer.:grin:

Clavius
05-26-2012, 19:02
This Don Julio Reposado is almost too smooth! As soon as I save my pennies up for it I'll definitely be buying the Anejo to try it out.

Max Power
05-26-2012, 19:17
I want to know what bunk thought of Fortaleza.

I'm having a tequila night of dreams tonight. I just got a new shipment and I think I'll be sampling 6-8. The kids are in bed. It's going to be a good night.

Max Power
05-26-2012, 19:32
Here we go tonight. I'm starting with this one:

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/1816_arteNOM-tequila-anejo-box_1329539369.jpg

And it's f*cking fantastic. Agave, Caramel/Butterscotch, Cinnamon and Cloves. So smooth. Just wonderful.

...and the night deteriorates from here.

Max Power
05-26-2012, 19:48
Moving on...

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/1842_cazadores-tequila-extra-anejo_1336012158.jpg

This was excellent. I've never loved Cazadores until tonight. This was awesome in every way. I want another pour...but it's a sampling night so I will move on.

Max Power
05-26-2012, 20:10
http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/1092_elultimoagavetequilablanco_1249788813.jpg

I went backwards with this one. It's no where close to the others, but mixes well and has a nice true agave bite. For $15, it's a pretty good tequila.

ebo
05-26-2012, 20:16
Moving on...

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/1842_cazadores-tequila-extra-anejo_1336012158.jpg

This was excellent. I've never loved Cazadores until tonight. This was awesome in every way. I want another pour...but it's a sampling night so I will move on.
I like the Reposado. I need to try this one.

Max Power
05-26-2012, 20:31
Not your standard blanco with this one. It's rested and full of complimentary flavors. If it was $30/bottle, I'd say it's must get. But at $45-50 bottle, this is a very good tequila, but not a very good value.

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/1673_excellia-tequila-blanco_1315180074.jpg

Max Power
05-26-2012, 20:48
Moving on to another value tequila...

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/833_3030tequilablanco_1239602383.jpg

This stuff was awesome. The finish was one of the best I've ever had for a blanco. Considering it's around $20, this is a must buy. Good stuff.

unclebunk
05-27-2012, 08:34

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/833_3030tequilablanco_1239602383.jpg

This stuff was awesome. The finish was one of the best I've ever had for a blanco. Considering it's around $20, this is a must buy. Good stuff.

I'm on it! But last night was Dos Lunas Anejo. Three of my four friends absolutely loved it but one found it tasty though not entirely to his liking because of the pronounced bourbon influence which he felt deviated too far from the profile of "traditional" tequila in that the agave flavor/aroma tended to get lost in the whiskey. I just told him to shut the f*%k up and keep drinking, which he dutifully did.:lol: Still, the Fortaleza beckons. Perhaps today...

Max Power
05-27-2012, 19:37
I like the Reposado. I need to try this one.

For the $50 price range, this was an excellent extra anejo. Like I said, I've never loved the Cazadores line because of a bit of a pronounced alcohol smell and taste. This stuff was the cat's pajamas.

Max Power
05-28-2012, 19:45
Well, unclebunk??? I'm anxious to know what you tried and what you thought.

I've always liked the Dos Lunas line. The triple distillation makes it a bit more smooth which some like and some don't. Regardless, the flavors of all varieties are really good. The blanco is probably more of a mixer or a really light summer like drink.

luther.r
05-28-2012, 22:05

Wow, that's completely different from my experience with 30-30. I've bought it a couple times as a margarita mixer, but didn't find it to be sippable.

Max Power
05-28-2012, 22:53
Wow, that's completely different from my experience with 30-30. I've bought it a couple times as a margarita mixer, but didn't find it to be sippable.

I thought it was pretty good, but my palate might have been compromised some given it was my 6th brand of the night. I'll have to revisit. I know that the flavors that I tasted in the previous one (El Ultimo) were pretty similar to when I did it again tonight.

I really thought it was a good, basic blanco that was very drinkable straight. But everyone tastes something a little different...that's what makes it fun.

luther.r
05-29-2012, 11:04
I thought it was pretty good, but my palate might have been compromised some given it was my 6th brand of the night. I'll have to revisit. I know that the flavors that I tasted in the previous one (El Ultimo) were pretty similar to when I did it again tonight.

I really thought it was a good, basic blanco that was very drinkable straight. But everyone tastes something a little different...that's what makes it fun.

Indeed...different strokes. It's also possible that it's changed/improved since the last time I tried it, which was at least 3 years ago.

Max Power
06-01-2012, 13:47
It's Friday. Who's enjoying some agave juice tonight? What kind? I might be taking the in laws through a journey of some kind. We shall see...

Trey Manthey
06-02-2012, 14:50
It's Friday. Who's enjoying some agave juice tonight? What kind? I might be taking the in laws through a journey of some kind. We shall see...

I paid too much for a 1800 Añejo while at the beach. Tried sipping it, but compared to some of the others I've tried recently, this tastes like swill. Chalked it up to a rookie mistake, but it made a fine margarita.

Redeemed myself with the Kah Añejo. Delicious.

Max Power
06-03-2012, 13:55
I paid too much for a 1800 Añejo while at the beach. Tried sipping it, but compared to some of the others I've tried recently, this tastes like swill. Chalked it up to a rookie mistake, but it made a fine margarita.

Redeemed myself with the Kah Añejo. Delicious.

1800 is possibly my least favorite 100% agave brand. KAH Anejo is good choice.

fussychicken
06-04-2012, 13:22
Many thanks Max Power for joining the forums and dropping some serious agave knowledge. While I'm a huge Mezcal fan and occasionally check up on the blue agave forums, I've shied away from Tequilia as I normally find it bland. However, you have inspired me to give Tequlia another shot. Picked up a few things from K&L recently.

Clase Azul Reposado
ArteNOM Seleccion 1079 Blanco
ArteNOM Seleccion 1414 Reposado
IXA Blanco
Fortaleza Blanco
Cielo Rojo Bacanora Blanco

I have to admit that I couldn't resist the grandeur of the Clase Azul bottle, so I popped that one first and had a sample last week. Man, I hate to say it, but I didn't like it. Talk about a sugar bomb. Too sweet for me. I'm looking forward to trying the others though!

unclebunk
06-04-2012, 13:47
My Fortaleza Blanco still beckons but I haven't found time to crack it open, as the last week has been devoted to bourbon and single malts. Corrido Anejo also sits in the cabinet unopened but not for long!:grin:

Max Power
06-04-2012, 14:28
Many thanks Max Power for joining the forums and dropping some serious agave knowledge. While I'm a huge Mezcal fan and occasionally check up on the blue agave forums, I've shied away from Tequilia as I normally find it bland. However, you have inspired me to give Tequlia another shot. Picked up a few things from K&L recently.

Clase Azul Reposado
ArteNOM Seleccion 1079 Blanco
ArteNOM Seleccion 1414 Reposado
IXA Blanco
Fortaleza Blanco
Cielo Rojo Bacanora Blanco

I have to admit that I couldn't resist the grandeur of the Clase Azul bottle, so I popped that one first and had a sample last week. Man, I hate to say it, but I didn't like it. Talk about a sugar bomb. Too sweet for me. I'm looking forward to trying the others though!

Yes, the Clase Azul is very sweet. It's one of those that you really love or don't like at all. The blanco is the same way...almost like candy. I really like it, but I can 100% understand why someone wouldn't if they don't love the really sweet/caramel tequilas.

I've never had Cielo Rojo or IXA. The ArteNOM tequilas are really good. Fortaleza blanco is one of the best out there.

unclebunk
06-05-2012, 12:20
Just noticed that Dos Lunas Anejo is no longer being sold by Hi Time. Bummer!

Max Power
06-05-2012, 20:40
Just noticed that Dos Lunas Anejo is no longer being sold by Hi Time. Bummer!

Dos Lunas as a brand is no longer, which is why some places have it on clearance and others have the price jacked up high. I'm glad that I have some extra.

Clavius
06-05-2012, 20:46
Dos Lunas as a brand is no longer, which is why some places have it on clearance and others have the price jacked up high. I'm glad that I have some extra.
Wait, Dos Lunas is gone? I know where some is. Should I buy up some Reposado or Anejo??

unclebunk
06-05-2012, 21:48

Yikes! Wish I had known that before we pounded down so much of the DL Anejo bottle. I just figured I'd buy another to replace it, so made no effort to stretch the bottle. Now I'm down to a quarter left and will have to do a quick on-line hunt.

Max Power
06-06-2012, 12:40
Wait, Dos Lunas is gone? I know where some is. Should I buy up some Reposado or Anejo??

http://www.tequila.net/forum/general-tequila-discussions/2205-discontinued-tequilas-2.html

I'd buy it if you can. There's places under $35 online. I'll post links if I can remember them and find them.

Hi Time still has the repo for $22 and blanco for $15. The blanco is a little thin, but is an amazing mixer for $15. I need to taste the repo tonight to remind myself. As I recall the anejo was the best.

unclebunk
06-06-2012, 13:15
http://www.tequila.net/forum/general-tequila-discussions/2205-discontinued-tequilas-2.html

I'd buy it if you can. There's places under $35 online. I'll post links if I can remember them and find them.

Hi Time still has the repo for $22 and blanco for $15. The blanco is a little thin, but is an amazing mixer for $15. I need to taste the repo tonight to remind myself. As I recall the anejo was the best.

I paid $28 for the Dos Lunas Anejo which was a great deal. I think I'll grab the reposado at $22 while I still can.

Max Power
06-06-2012, 13:27
I paid $28 for the Dos Lunas Anejo which was a great deal. I think I'll grab the reposado at $22 while I still can.

Total Beverage still has the anejo for $38. Every other place I've seen has it for over $50 or is sold out. I can't say it's a must have value at $50+.

https://www.totalbeverage.net/index.php/cart/item?id=360335

Max Power
06-06-2012, 20:20
I just had the Dos Lunas reposado. It's different than the anejo in flavvor profile, but is a definite sipper. Not as much caramel, but more dark chocolate. It's almost like a dessert by itself...like a rich caramel chocolate frosting with nice oak notes along with it. It still tastes like tequila, but has rich complimentary flavors. I might have to bunker a bottle myself at $22.

Clavius
06-08-2012, 16:20
I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.

ebo
06-08-2012, 16:27
I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.

unclebunk
06-08-2012, 17:18
Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.

Max Power
06-08-2012, 23:02
I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.

It's REALLY mild and has a citrus/vanilla thing going for it without a trademark tequila bite. It's just a notch better than Patron to me because it has all the same smoothness with a little more flavor (although you might not like the flavors).

Max Power
06-08-2012, 23:03
I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.

I describe Avion to people as a quality, no risks tequila. It has nice agave flavors and is really easy to drink, but there's no defining flavors that make you remember it. I have all 3 bottles and I like it, but I don't go out and tell people that the NEED to get it. Very good, but I can always recommend something in the price range for each age that I like better.

Max Power
06-08-2012, 23:05
Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.

Love it. That's a great value oriented order. I'm in love with the JLP line for under $20. I could drink the repo and anejo all day...if my liver would let me. Corrido repo is awesome. Don Fernando is a little different and wonderful in the $20 range. Muchote...is Muchote. Good stuff.

Clavius
06-09-2012, 14:36
I describe Avion to people as a quality, no risks tequila. It has nice agave flavors and is really easy to drink, but there's no defining flavors that make you remember it. I have all 3 bottles and I like it, but I don't go out and tell people that the NEED to get it. Very good, but I can always recommend something in the price range for each age that I like better.

Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.

bigtoys
06-09-2012, 16:25
1921 my FAVORITE tequila, mainly the Reserva Especiale, a reposado

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/Teq1921a.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/Teq1921b.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/Teq1921c.jpg

btw, I'm pretty sure that the "Scotch" poured in the pivotal bar scene in "Inglorious Basterds" is 1921 tequila

compliance
06-09-2012, 17:31
I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.

Max Power
06-10-2012, 08:03
Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.

www.morewines.com has the best price on that and Pura Vida around. Both very good and not too expensive there. I think Avion is $30/35/37 and Pura Vida is $26/28/30 for the ages.

Max Power
06-10-2012, 08:11
I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.

Something that a local store will have for sure is El Jimador anejo and Milargo Reposado or Anejo. It's bourbon barrel aged and a has a lot of caramel and wood flavors. If you do the online ordering and want to do a few...the link above (www.morewines.com) has a few really good and cheap ones. El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida would probably be may favorites under $30. They also have the best prices I've seen on Corazon, Casa Noble (which may be a bit earthy for a tequila noob, but is very popular amongst tequila folk), Don Nacho, and Gran Centenario Anejo.

Hope that helps.

unclebunk
06-10-2012, 10:37
Finally got around to opening the Fortaleza Blanco last night--superb! Honestly, the FB is flawless and delivers so much more than your typical mixer-type blanco that it can stand shoulder to shoulder with just about any top-flight tequila I've ever tasted. But once the "tasting" ended and the "drinking" commenced, we switched over to my new standby, Muchote Reposado. I can't get enough of the stuff!

ebo
06-10-2012, 12:20
Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though. :cool:

unclebunk
06-10-2012, 13:41
Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though. :cool:

Although a bit pricier, you may want to check out the Fortaleza Blanco that I mentioned a post ago. No corn liquor nose there, that's for sure.

redbear
06-10-2012, 17:53
I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.

Max Power
06-10-2012, 19:26

It takes a while to get used to the flavors in blancos...especially the grassier ones. I've always thought Corzo was pretty benign in terms of flavors. Maybe your palate prefers aged spirits. There's nothing wrong with that.

Max Power
06-10-2012, 19:28
I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.

1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.

2. Pura Sangre is quite good. I have it in the newer looking bottle. For the $40 +/- range, it's a decent value. Not something I would say that you NEED to buy, but something that I would say is a good buy. I'd purchase the old cactus bottle if I saw it...but I'm a little bit crazy and have 300+ bottles of tequila, so I may not be the best measuring stick. :grin:

luther.r
06-11-2012, 14:46
1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.

Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range. :slappin:

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.

Max Power
06-11-2012, 19:32
Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range. :slappin:

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.

www.hitimewine.net (http://www.hitimewine.net) is probably my favorite seller. I listed maybe a page ago the www.morewines.com (http://www.morewines.com) has some really good prices on tequilas too (Avion, El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida).

At Hi Time, like unclebunk will attest to, there are plenty under $50 that are fantastic. Here is my list:

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.
2. Muchote - $25 - Smooth and complex. For $25, it's a steal.
3. Fortaleza Blanco - $45 - This is one of the best blancos out there and a great example of what to look for in a good blanco.
4. For the ultra best under $20 - JLP The President's Tequila is the best they have. It's awesome and all 3 ages are sub-$20.

At More Wines, I'd rank them 1. El Caballo Estrella Anejo (like creme brulee), 2. Pura Vida Anejo or Repo, 3. Avion Blanco and Reposado. All 3 ages of all 3 lines are good though. And you won't find better prices anywhere than at that site.

I could go on and on and could probably recommend something more specific if you told me certain tastes that you really liked (fruity, caramel, pepper/spicy, earthy, grassy, etc). Everyone's palate is different and with over 2000 tequilas, there's generally something for everyone.

luther.r
06-11-2012, 19:56
www.hitimewine.net (http://www.hitimewine.net) is probably my favorite seller. I listed maybe a page ago the www.morewines.com (http://www.morewines.com) has some really good prices on tequilas too (Avion, El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida).

At Hi Time, like unclebunk will attest to, there are plenty under $50 that are fantastic. Here is my list:

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.
2. Muchote - $25 - Smooth and complex. For $25, it's a steal.
3. Fortaleza Blanco - $45 - This is one of the best blancos out there and a great example of what to look for in a good blanco.
4. For the ultra best under $20 - JLP The President's Tequila is the best they have. It's awesome and all 3 ages are sub-$20.

At More Wines, I'd rank them 1. El Caballo Estrella Anejo (like creme brulee), 2. Pura Vida Anejo or Repo, 3. Avion Blanco and Reposado. All 3 ages of all 3 lines are good though. And you won't find better prices anywhere than at that site.

Ah, you missed my joke. I was poking fun at your "$0 and under" typo, so I was asking for some "negative fifty dollar" tequilas. These are all much more than that!

But this is great info that I'm sure will be helpful to others. :drinking: