PDA

View Full Version : Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
04-06-2012, 10:25
Ok, so there are NO details on this yet but I am just teeming with excitement for it. I've been vocal about my distaste for BT bourbons, however I love anything rye that comes out of there. In fact, I think some of the ryes they produce are the top of their class. VWFRR and THH being the leading examples, naturally.

All that being said, this new straight rye from BT is making me drool. To me it is the missing link between Handy and VW. I haven't been this excited for a new whiskey in a while now, especially after the let down that the previous releases of EHT have been for me.

Labels from COLA, courtesy of dbk

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13026&d=1325878102

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13027&d=1325878129

bad_scientist
04-06-2012, 10:36
Yeah, but how will they price it? Up here the retail for Handy is $60, and the VWFRR is $45, but all the EHTs have been $60 or more. So there is a good chance that you'd have to pay more for the EHT rye than the others.

StraightNoChaser
04-06-2012, 10:39
All the EHT around here is about $65, but then again so is Handy and VWFRR (when you can find it)

If it's as good as I'm imagining, I won't have too much of a problem forking over the dough. Plus, I have friends at lots of stores so I will probably buy it for below retail.

Restaurant man
04-06-2012, 21:34
Um. I can't find VWFRR or Handy anywhere (except my closet) so i will give this a whirl

HipFlask
04-06-2012, 22:21
I will be all over it.

scratchline
04-07-2012, 08:33
How old? Unless it's somewhere around 10-12 yrs., it's not really a missing link.

StraightNoChaser
04-08-2012, 11:09
Well, I'm hoping it's at least 10 years old. I think 10 yr 100 proof BT rye would be pretty phenomenal

BFerguson
04-08-2012, 12:30
Well, I'm hoping it's at least 10 years old. I think 10 yr 100 proof BT rye would be pretty phenomenal

Should be. We know from current discussion that the 13yr BT rye is liked by most.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself on this one. With recent threads it's just been so easy to throw gas on the fire.

B

cbus
04-09-2012, 16:53
I am excited about this one. I find the regular Sazerac rye to be great and Handy to be exceptional. This leaves me really excited about a possible 10 year old Bottled in Bond rye. If only it weren't chill filtered...

Tucker
07-27-2012, 14:06
Here's a picture...

http://twitter.com/BourbonPR/status/228539676754075648/photo/1/large?tw_p=twt

MyOldKyDram
07-27-2012, 15:42
Well hot dang! When is this coming out?

Ejmharris
07-27-2012, 16:08
Here's a picture...

http://twitter.com/BourbonPR/status/228539676754075648/photo/1/large?tw_p=twt

I on the edge about the current barrel proof but I am looking forward to the rye release.

OscarV
07-27-2012, 16:14
I've been vocal about my distaste for BT bourbons, however I love anything rye that comes out of there.

I would include their wheated bourbons as very good but the others I am with you on that and the rye whiskies.

I on the edge about the current barrel proof but I am looking forward to the rye release.

I bailed after the first Col Taylor release but I too am looking forward to this rye whisky.

Josh
07-27-2012, 18:24
More overpriced rye from BT. Pardon me for not celebrating.

petrel800
07-27-2012, 19:41
Any idea when we can expect to see this on the shelves? I've enjoyed the EH Taylors thus far, maybe I'm the fool being parted from his money, but I've enjoyed seeing the new stuff every couple of months. Its hard to wait for the fall to get here.

WAINWRIGHT
07-27-2012, 21:33
Any idea when we can expect to see this on the shelves? I've enjoyed the EH Taylors thus far, maybe I'm the fool being parted from his money, but I've enjoyed seeing the new stuff every couple of months. Its hard to wait for the fall to get here.

Went on the BT tour yesterday and actually saw this being loaded off the fork trucks, so it won't be long.

keith18
07-28-2012, 08:42
I'm guessing this will be a really good rye, but it will be disconcerting if it is in the $80-$90 range that the EH Taylor's have been in my area.

HP12
07-28-2012, 11:53
More overpriced rye from BT. Pardon me for not celebrating.

I'm thinking watered down Thomas H. Handy under a different label? And at a similarly high price point. Hmmm.

OscarV
07-28-2012, 12:08
I'm thinking watered down Thomas H. Handy under a different label? And at a similarly high price point. Hmmm.

I know what you mean but I am hoping it isn't.
Handy at barrel proof is good but at 6 1/2 years old it is young.
This new Taylor rye is 100 proof but if it is at least 10 years old then I'll pay the price.

HP12
07-28-2012, 12:19
I know what you mean but I am hoping it isn't.
Handy at barrel proof is good but at 6 1/2 years old it is young.
This new Taylor rye is 100 proof but if it is at least 10 years old then I'll pay the price.

Ah, I was under the impression that THH was around the 10yo mark. In the BT family line of rye, I thought Baby Saz was around 6 (even after removing the age statement), THH was 10ish and Saz 18 was, well, Saz 18yo.

So the next question is, is the EHT Rye from the same mashbill as the THH?

OscarV
07-28-2012, 12:23
Ah, I was under the impression that THH was around the 10yo mark.

THH is only 6 1/2 years old, that is why some have criticized it for being in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.

jburlowski
07-28-2012, 12:57
So the next question is, is the EHT Rye from the same mashbill as the THH?

BT has only one rye mashbill. So, unless it is from Barton's stocks (hghly unlikely), it'll be the same as Saz and THH.

HP12
07-28-2012, 14:07
THH is only 6 1/2 years old, that is why some have criticized it for being in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.

BT has only one rye mashbill. So, unless it is from Barton's stocks (hghly unlikely), it'll be the same as Saz and THH.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm a little more educated today due to my brethren.

MyOldKyDram
07-28-2012, 14:12
Okay. So 60+ for a 6 yo rye?

My excitement has officially been tempered. I would still like to try it, however.

OscarV
07-28-2012, 14:21
Okay. So 60+ for a 6 yo rye?

My excitement has officially been tempered. I would still like to try it, however.

To be fair we don't know the age yet. (or do we?)
As I said earlier I'll pay Handy price even though it's 100 proof but only if it's at least 10 years old.

ethangsmith
07-28-2012, 20:25
Hey, something has to fill the void left by Wild Turkey 101 Rye's disappearance.......

White Dog
07-28-2012, 20:49
Yeah, and it's called Larceny.:lol:

AaronWF
08-02-2012, 11:31
To be fair we don't know the age yet. (or do we?)
As I said earlier I'll pay Handy price even though it's 100 proof but only if it's at least 10 years old.

There's no way it's at least 10 years old. It looks like there's two labels too, one referencing BiB status and the other just referencing Taylor himself. The BiB one says "Distilled, Aged and Bottled" and includes the DSP, whereas the other label just says "Distilled and Bottled" and has no DSP on it. Looks like at least two batches of this stuff, and there's no telling how different they might be from each other.

I still have high hopes, but I do not like the idea of one expensive release made up of differing batches with very little, if any, information available to tell them apart.

cowdery
08-07-2012, 15:12
They officially announced this today. Here's the most interesting line from the press release.

"An altogether different recipe and profile than Sazerac Rye, this recipe contains just rye and malted barley, no corn."

It is BIB but NAS.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye Whiskey will be available in late August and will be released annually. The suggested retail price is $69.99 for a 750ml bottle.

OscarV
08-07-2012, 15:20
"An altogether different recipe and profile than Sazerac Rye, this recipe contains just rye and malted barley, no corn."

It is BIB but NAS.

I'm done with young green whiskies.
BT can keep it.

White Dog
08-07-2012, 16:10
They officially announced this today. Here's the most interesting line from the press release.

It is BIB but NAS.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye Whiskey will be available in late August and will be released annually. The suggested retail price is $69.99 for a 750ml bottle.

Wait a minute. All rye and malted barley, NAS, and over-priced? Hell, why not just buy a bottle of Templeton?

Gillman
08-07-2012, 16:25
The mash bill is very interesting, this is a typical Pennsylvania mash bill of the old days, i.e., for once we get from a mainstream distiller a rye whiskey made without corn.

Sounds promising.

Gary

LostBottle
08-07-2012, 17:00
I'm done with young green whiskies.
BT can keep it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. High West and Whistlepig will continue to get my dollars, not this CEHT "premium" market positioned NAS nonsense.

CaptainQ
08-07-2012, 22:24
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. High West and Whistlepig will continue to get my dollars, not this CEHT "premium" market positioned NAS nonsense.

Will, I assume you mean dusty hunting HW age stated ryes as I doubt there will be any new rye labels from them. Whistlepig is good, but overpriced as well. I say give the CEHT rye a chance. Looking forward to tasting this new expression from BT.

cowdery
08-08-2012, 15:37
I should be getting a sample, so we'll see how green it is. I wondered if they made it in their micro-still and they did not. I am told it is a recipe they decided to experiment with 'a few years ago.' They won't, of course, put a number to the 'few,' but they apparently kept making it every year, because this is supposed to be an annual release, not a one-off. And since they made it in the big still, they made at least as much as they did with the sour mash experiment.

I know it was made to try a new rye recipe and not specifically for Taylor, so presumably it was made before the Taylor acquisition. It might not be all that green.

I like the fact that they are bottling some stuff as Taylor that's not available in any other product.

What I want to know is when we're going to see some Barton rye without having to go to northern Wisconsin to get a handle of Fleischmann's.

Josh
08-08-2012, 18:26
What I want to know is when we're going to see some Barton rye without having to go to northern Wisconsin to get a handle of Fleischmann's.

Or kiss some Wisconsonian's ass.

White Dog
08-08-2012, 18:36
That would be "kiss some Wisconsinite's ass," Josh.

StraightNoChaser
08-08-2012, 22:05
So... NAS BIB rye and malt only whiskey.... Will be curious to see the DSP on this bottle.

StraightNoChaser
08-08-2012, 22:14
Is this a Kentucky Straight Rye?

Josh
08-09-2012, 07:29
That would be "kiss some Wisconsinite's ass," Josh.

I beg your pardon. Personally I prefer Michganese to the more common Michigander. Michigander sounds like a type of duck.

Young Blacksmith
08-09-2012, 08:01
All the whistlepig I've seen is priced at $70 - $75, at least as much as the CEHT's or more.

Brisko
08-09-2012, 09:19
Is this a Kentucky Straight Rye?

:lol: that's the first thing I thought of too, but according to the COLA it's "Distilled, aged and bottled by Old Fashioned Copper Distillery, Frankfort, KY, DSP-113."

I wonder what the ratio of rye to malt is.

cowdery
08-09-2012, 12:45
Buffalo Trace made it in Frankfort.

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.

smokinjoe
08-09-2012, 13:36

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.

:lol::lol: Good one.

White Dog
08-09-2012, 14:52
We can't all be as svelte as Chuck.

Brisko
08-09-2012, 15:18
It's too bad they won't put an age statement on it, even if it's only 4 years old. At that price, I don't think it's unfair for me to ask for a little transparency.

timd
08-09-2012, 16:15
At that price, I don't think it's unfair for me to ask for a little transparency.

^^^ This makes me chuckle.

While I do, seriously, agree with you - and it's not unfair to ask, but it's not gonna happen. Most of these specialty labels make their $$$ in mystique. Hell, Pappy 23 is over $200 retail, and you get no genuine transparency there!

Sources on virtually anything from KBD - from $30 Willets to $250 Ryes (25 yr CS) is still unknown...

We should be allowed to know - but...

jburlowski
08-09-2012, 16:21
Based on BT announcement, I'm betting it is Barton rye and it will be very good.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14860-Barton-Tom-Moore&p=222625&viewfull=1#post222625

Brisko
08-09-2012, 16:40
We should be allowed to know - but...

Oh, I know....

the Willets are a funny example. Often we know the age but not the provenance. Except for the young "made in Indiana" ryes, of course, which are obviously LDI. With the Taylor, I guess we get to know the provenance more or less, but not the age.

I guess it has to be one or the other :skep:

Restaurant man
08-09-2012, 20:05
Very nice detective. Here's hoping...

LostBottle
08-09-2012, 20:10
Will, I assume you mean dusty hunting HW age stated ryes as I doubt there will be any new rye labels from them. Whistlepig is good, but overpriced as well. I say give the CEHT rye a chance. Looking forward to tasting this new expression from BT.

You make a couple good points here that I will concede I agree with. I will give the whiskey a try and will buy a bottle if it blows me away - I am just not sure a NAS rye will do that though. I also agree that Whistlepig is overpriced at ~$75, but at 10 years old (soon to be twelve) it looks much less so when compared to a $70 rye we have to assume is only 4 years old - I will gladly pay $5 extra for 3 times the age! I will miss the older High West ryes, but Rendezvous is also phenomenal with it's 6/16 mix and can be had for less than $50 which also makes it a good value.

Dave, I think the only way to really answer our questions and concerns is to get together later this Fall and try it in comparison to a smorgasbord of good rye I happen to have laying around.

MauiSon
08-10-2012, 01:26

I'm never again gonna worry about being off-topic! ;)

redbear
08-10-2012, 06:17
The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive. You may be paying $50 more for 3 times the age.

That said, I'm not excited about the CEHT (or most of this hyped brand in general). I have a few bottles of WTR101 in the bunker that I bought for $20. I don't know that I believe the QPR is there for the CEHT.

You make a couple good points here that I will concede I agree with. I will give the whiskey a try and will buy a bottle if it blows me away - I am just not sure a NAS rye will do that though. I also agree that Whistlepig is overpriced at ~$75, but at 10 years old (soon to be twelve) it looks much less so when compared to a $70 rye we have to assume is only 4 years old - I will gladly pay $5 extra for 3 times the age! I will miss the older High West ryes, but Rendezvous is also phenomenal with it's 6/16 mix and can be had for less than $50 which also makes it a good value.

Dave, I think the only way to really answer our questions and concerns is to get together later this Fall and try it in comparison to a smorgasbord of good rye I happen to have laying around.

LostBottle
08-10-2012, 09:07
The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive.

Thanks for that bit of info, I had no idea. If true, someone needs to let Whistlepig know 11 years is a full decade short of a rye worth 3 figures.

cowdery
08-10-2012, 13:58
We can't all be as svelte as Chuck.

That why I love to visit Wisconsin. There I'm young and thin.

cowdery
08-10-2012, 14:00
Based on BT announcement, I'm betting it is Barton rye and it will be very good.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14860-Barton-Tom-Moore&p=222625&viewfull=1#post222625

I wondered about that too but they say no, made in Frankfort at BT.

jburlowski
08-10-2012, 14:32
I wondered about that too but they say no, made in Frankfort at BT.

Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)

Brisko
08-10-2012, 14:46
Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)

Interesting. The label that got approved in August 2010 (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=10211001000278) lists DSP-113 only, but as you say, the one from August 2012 (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12212001000335) lists both 12 and 113.

T Comp
08-10-2012, 14:57

Interesting. The label that got approved in August 2010 (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=10211001000278) lists DSP-113 only, but as you say, the one from August 2012 (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12212001000335) lists both 12 and 113.

I would just assume there will be more releases as with the 4 we have had with bourbon and that at some point there will be a Barton distilled or at least mixed with Frankfort release. I'll believe them if they say this first release is from Frankfort only.

callmeox
08-10-2012, 15:32
Perhaps they are looking to use the bottling line at Barton as well.

AaronWF
08-10-2012, 16:18
Perhaps they are looking to use the bottling line at Barton as well.

Well, if it has both DSPs on the label, it's either BT juice bottled at Barton or Barton juice bottled at BT. I think I'll have to give it a try, but with all the guesswork involved I feel left out of the process in a way that BT products don't usually make me feel. With BT, we usually (usually!) know where the juice in the bottle comes from. Although the CEHT line seems to be turning towards bucking that trend a bit.

Does charging an arm and a leg and shrouding the source of the whiskey in mystery go hand in hand?

cowdery
08-10-2012, 20:28
For BIB, you have to show where distilled and where bottled. I could argue that the way the most recent approved label deals with the DSPs is not really responsive to the rule, since it doesn't tell you where it was distilled and bottled, it just limits the possibilities.

They told me it was distilled at BT, but it's possible they aged it at Barton. As much warehouse capacity as Barton has, and as little as they've been distilling, tells me they're using the warehouses at Barton for whiskey they're distilling in Frankfort.

They won't bottle something that's aged at BT in Bardstown, but they can distill something in Frankfort, tanker it to Bardstown, and enter and age it there. if they do that they'll bottle it in Bardstown too. Bottle it where it's aged isn't any legal thing, it's just more efficient and I know that's Sazerac's policy.

It seems odd that they would do anything involving Taylor anywhere except BT since that was the whole idea behind acquiring the brand from Beam, to bring the brand back to the distillery Taylor once owned. However, when they distilled the first batch of this rye they had no idea it was going to be Taylor. Although it's NAS, we know it's at least four years old, which would mean it was distilled in 2008 at the latest, and they didn't acquire Taylor until the summer of 2009.

tmckenzie
08-11-2012, 03:30
Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.

bad_scientist
08-12-2012, 13:16
Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.

Now that my THH has been open for a few weeks, I'm getting a strong malt flavor from it that was completely invisible when I first opened it.

p_elliott
08-13-2012, 07:57
Let's not drift too far off the subject, Please.

cowdery
08-16-2012, 13:34
Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.

OscarV
08-16-2012, 13:42
Mint jumped out.
Wants a little water.
Also wants a little corn.
I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body.

Thanx 4 the review, I'll pass on this one.

tmckenzie
08-16-2012, 16:47
Chuck, any idea on the mashbill besides it being rye and malt?

cowdery
08-16-2012, 20:26
They won't tell me exactly, but 90% rye, 10% malt is a good guess. If you're just using malt for the enzymes, there's no reason to use more, and it's a lot more expensive. I assume that LDI gets away with 95% rye, 5% malt by using supplemental enzymes.

T Comp
08-16-2012, 20:41
Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.

Thanx 4 the review, I'll pass on this one.

Yep, no need to break my streak of not putting out my own cash for any of the "all-rye ryes" yet.

tmckenzie
08-17-2012, 01:43
5 % percent of distillers malt will convert it. The regular stuff on the market is strong as anything you would ever wish for. Like brylcream, just a little dab will do you. Malt will stil work in the fermenter as well, but I imagine they are having to use a beta glucanase at least so they can pump it and take pressure off the yeast. I am going to have to try a bottle of this. I rather like that style of rye. Just wish it were more affordable.

cowdery
08-17-2012, 13:24
So many products today are some standard juice with another label slapped on it. I give Saz credit for creating a unique-from-scratch whiskey and making it available in only one product. That gives you a justification for the price. Whether or not it's worth the price is a different question.

LostBottle
08-18-2012, 18:50
Here is a good review (http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2012/08/colonel-e-h-taylor-rye-whiskey-review/) of the new rye. Sounds like this will be a limited annual release - shocking BT would release a "rare" and allocated whiskey from a hyped label...

MyOldKyDram
08-18-2012, 18:59
That's a lot of scratch.

Hoping to hear some things from others here first before deciding whether or not to give it a go.

shoshani
08-18-2012, 21:29
"By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/

Josh
08-19-2012, 12:16
"By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/

I knew there was a reason I never liked Saz 18.

But seriously, what an odd thing for the reviewer to say. I :lol:d

Anyway, $70, that's a lot for an NAS but cheaper than I thought it would be.

Old Lamplighter
08-31-2012, 22:58
This one is >$70....are we going to see the climb in price for each new Col E H release from here forward? I have not bought any of them due to the fact it seemed out of line for 100 proof to be $69.99 with the exception being the barrel strength bottle. Due to my love and fascination with rye, I'll be paying the tab for this new one very soon but not likely the previous ones.

Oh well, what do I know?....the label is steadily selling & the Trace makes a lot more money than I do...lol!

smokinjoe
09-01-2012, 10:20
I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.

OscarV
09-01-2012, 10:33
I have never had it but I'll bet Smokin'Joe summed it up best.
The bourbon distillers use a 51% rye mashbill when making rye whiskey as per minimum regulations.
I think it should be a 60% rye minimum, that's what George Washington used and if it was good enough for him, etc.
I'm sure we would be enjoying a better rye whiskey today if that percentage was used

Virus_Of_Life
09-01-2012, 10:59

Well, I had my hopes up at least for a few moments. I wish BT would pull their head out and give us a Barton rye with some age at a decent proof. I'll be honest, since having my palette go to the dark side I haven't bought a bourbon in a long time, but I still reach for my Fleischmanns Rye occasionally and still amazed at the quality for the price.

I also agree with Chuck, the ryes without corn lack body. Tasted a couple of them, noticed it right away and moved on. Give us something better.

BourbonJoe
09-01-2012, 18:03
For 70 bucks they can stick it where the sun don't shine.
Joe :usflag:

MyOldKyDram
09-01-2012, 18:06
There was certainly plenty of it on the shelves today, although I'm sure someone will snatch it up.

sutton
09-01-2012, 19:36
Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?

LostBottle
09-02-2012, 00:33
It sounds like the "1st AND ONLY" on the label may be referring to bottle buying patterns when people realize they just paid $70+ for an uninspiring rye.

bad_scientist
09-02-2012, 08:34
Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?

Copper Fox is 2/3 rye, 1/3 malted barley, I believe. They use a pot still, so you can't really compare it to other ryes, though.

jburlowski
09-02-2012, 11:16
I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.

Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.

MacinJosh
09-05-2012, 22:15
Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.

And that's exactly what I did tonight. Saw the Taylor Rye on a shelf for $74.99 but there were two Rittenhouse 100p Ryes sitting right next to it for $20 each.

The Ritts went home with me.

BFerguson
09-06-2012, 05:01
Very drinkable but no wow factor.

I think I would rather have this attribute most days than the wow factor, as there seem to be fewer bourbons with this as time go by. They are certainly out there, but availbility is always a issue.

The descriptions so far, and this statement no different, remind me of how folks, myself included, thought of the first release. It was very drinkable, but there was not the wow that many expected.

Personally, I will be happy to grab a couple of these and stash them away, sounds like a fine rye overall to drink.

B

White Dog
09-06-2012, 11:48
"Very drinkable but no wow factor" can pretty much sum up the entire CEHT line-up.

Josh
09-06-2012, 11:57
"Very drinkable but no wow factor" can pretty much sum up the entire CEHT line-up.

Well put.

:fish2:
:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

compliance
09-06-2012, 20:35
I think I would rather have this attribute most days than the wow factor, as there seem to be fewer bourbons with this as time go by. They are certainly out there, but availbility is always a issue.
B

Drinkable is good, but you can buy drinkable bourbon for $20-$30 if not less. So why pay $75? That's the main issue.

BFerguson
09-07-2012, 03:36
Drinkable is good, but you can buy drinkable bourbon for $20-$30 if not less. So why pay $75? That's the main issue.

I don't feel that I should have to defend myself on my decision to drop this type of coin on a single bottle of my choice. Yes, there are many bottles on the market that fit the measure of drinkable bourbon, that's a given.

But I'm willing to pay for something that is limited, is different, is a rye-love ryes, and, because I can! Why should I have to defend myself for this?

The issue of money of something to be discussed when a store is gouging the market, but not a issue that should be tossed to another member for mentioning that they will be going out and getting a bottle, or multiple of something.

B

White Dog
09-07-2012, 07:41
I think it's okay if we discuss pricing, and our opinions on it, as it relates to ourselves. Personally, I think the entire CEHT line is a waste of cash, but others are welcome to disagree and buy all they wish.

Hell, I've dropped $200 on 25yr Hirsch Rye, and I'll do it again. Many people here would call that crazy. I'm cool with that.

Vosgar
09-07-2012, 12:01
I don't feel that I should have to defend myself on my decision to drop this type of coin on a single bottle of my choice.
B

The answer is.....you don't have to defend your decisions to anyone. You've found something you like, are willing to buy it and are able to buy it. If someone else doesn't agree with you, who the hell cares?

Cheers!
Gary

WAINWRIGHT
09-09-2012, 14:58
I've bought all the other CEHT iterations so I figured, what the hell.I am curious to see how the mash bill of rye and malted barley stacks up to the plethora of ryes I currently have open.

cowdery
09-10-2012, 09:54
My assessment of all ryes that contain no corn is that they are very flavorful but thin, whereas the more traditional 51% ryes have both flavor and body.

p_elliott
09-18-2012, 08:10
I picked up a couple of these in KY at Liquor World I'll get back to you when I crack one open.

ThomasH
10-11-2012, 19:17
I read on the PLCB website today that this juice was distilled in 2003. At least now I have an idea of what age it is!

Thomas

CaptainQ
10-11-2012, 21:57
I read on the PLCB website today that this juice was distilled in 2003. At least now I have an idea of what age it is!

Thomas

Nice find if true, thanks.

Trey Manthey
11-01-2012, 15:26
Got a free pour of this last week. Loved it. Rye spice aplenty, reminded me of the High West 16 bottle I have at home.

While I'm glad for the awesome barman, I would definitely pay good money for it, and I see a bottle purchase in my future. I paid $50 for a 375 of HW16, so I think I can make some room for trying a 750 of this at $70.

tmckenzie
11-01-2012, 17:15
I see it is now available around here. I wanted a bottle, but damn, 70 bucks? I am not in the poor house but I just cannot bring myself to pay that. My liver may go into shock.

ThomasH
11-08-2012, 15:49
Got a bottle of this today in Ohio. Some one at the local store is on top of things. Saved me a trip to Pa.

Thomas

Shell
11-10-2012, 14:01
...Why should I have to defend myself for this?

The issue of money of something to be discussed when a store is gouging the market, but not a issue that should be tossed to another member for mentioning that they will be going out and getting a bottle, or multiple of something.

B

I find it informative when member's post pricing information, as well as sharing their opinion on the value of higher priced whiskies. But, unquestionably, people don't have to defend what they're willing to pay: The forum is not a place for members to be judgmental or critical of one another.

smokinjoe
11-29-2012, 19:58

Well, I've had some time to sit down with this rye and get all serious-like with it. And, I'll admit that there is more than I gave it credit for. Not, a lot more, but yes, more. It still doesn't bitch slap me with a huge spicy rye beat down. But, it ain't no bourbon, neither...There is a definite rye bread flavoring to it, which is really quite nice. Thick and bready. I tend to like whiskies that cause me to start physically chewing...this is one of those. So, after a bit of time, I'll conclude that this is a well done rye. Not a barn burner, but very solid. At $70 it's not a no-brainer certainly, but I'll go another. Maybe, two...

MauiSon
11-30-2012, 16:50
Hey Joe, you might like OO then. ;) I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750. :skep:

BFerguson
11-30-2012, 21:00
[QUOTE=smokinjoe;310694 So, after a bit of time, I'll conclude that this is a well done rye. Not a barn burner, but very solid. At $70 it's not a no-brainer certainly, but I'll go another. Maybe, two...[/QUOTE]

Cracked another one of these open tonight, I think you stated it well. This is a solid rye. Happy to have a couple more on hand, and thinking that a little more on top of that couldn't hurt either.

B

smokinjoe
12-01-2012, 11:11
Hey Joe, you might like OO then. ;) I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750. :skep:

MS, it sounds like you've found a winner for yourself. That is always a good thing. Enjoy!
:toast:

BourbonRob
12-02-2012, 08:44
EH Taylor rye is great. It's like drinking an old rye in a Wild West saloon. I'm going to try it next with a Manhattan

LostBottle
12-02-2012, 09:51
How does this stuff hold up against WP?

CaptainQ
12-02-2012, 14:08
How does this stuff hold up against WP?

Will, I have an open bottle of the Taylor rye. You're welcome to sample some anytime. Personally, I like the Taylor over Baby Saz. A sbs with WP would be a fine idea.

LostBottle
12-02-2012, 19:07
Will, I have an open bottle of the Taylor rye. You're welcome to sample some anytime. Personally, I like the Taylor over Baby Saz. A sbs with WP would be a fine idea.

I will absolutley take you up on that!

Restaurant man
12-09-2012, 21:32
Made a manhattan tonight with eh rye and orange bitters. Definitely a good cocktail but i think I'll stick with Ritt BiB going forward