PDA

View Full Version : High West ryes

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 12:53
Just met with a representative from High West. For the record, here's a breakdown of the sources of their products

Double Rye = 2yr HW rye and 16yr LDI rye
Rendezvous = 6yr (either HW or LDI, can't remember) and 16yr LDI
16yr = LDI
21yr = Barton rye aged in used cask

The 21yr is about to have its last bottling. 16yr is gone forever, get it while you can.

sku
04-10-2012, 12:58
Just met with a representative from High West. For the record, here's a breakdown of the sources of their products

Double Rye = 2yr HW rye and 16yr LDI rye
Rendezvous = 6yr (either HW or LDI, can't remember) and 16yr LDI
16yr = LDI
21yr = Barton rye aged in used cask

The 21yr is about to have its last bottling. 16yr is gone forever, get it while you can.

Hey SNC, I've heard Dave Perkins make numerous statements on High West and I don't think that's quite right, unless the formulas have changed, which would surprise me greatly.

I believe Double Rye is 2 yr LDI and 16 yr Barton.
Rendezvous is 6 year LDI and 16 year Barton.
I'm pretty sure the 16 year is Barton.

I don't believe they market their own rye in any of the sourced products, only on its own, such as with the OMG Rye.

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 13:20
The formulas could have indeed changed but he was insistent that the 2yr was their own distillate. According to him they have been distilling since 2004 (legally)

sku
04-10-2012, 13:26
The formulas could have indeed changed but he was insistent that the 2yr was their own distillate. According to him they have been distilling since 2004 (legally)

Interesting, though I must say I have gotton bad information from brand reps in the past, so I wouldn't take it to the bank. We do have a HW guy on the board so maybe he'll jump in. And I'm pretty sure your guy was wrong about the 16 (which was just one batch and not changed) so that makes me skeptical of the others.

I know you're just reporting this and not necessarilly vouching; I just thought I'd share what I know about it.

macdeffe
04-10-2012, 13:31
I think they started distilling in 2007 ?

Steffen

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 13:46
I think I need to start voice recording every meeting I have with any representative of any distillery LOL

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 13:48
High West actually has/had two very different 16-year-old ryes.

The Rocky Mountain 16 and Rendezvous use the same 16-year-old whiskey. It is a high rye content whiskey with a mash bill of 80% rye, 10% barley malt and 10% corn. The other 16 which is used in the Double Rye and Bourye has a mash bill of 53% rye, 37% corn and 10% barley malt.

I do know that the 16 year Rocky Mountain Rye is one of the finest whiskeys I have ever had.

smokinjoe
04-10-2012, 13:49
I think I need to start voice recording every meeting I have with any representative of any distillery LOL

Well, there is just one constant in your interviews...Just sayin' ;)

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 13:59
Well, there is just one constant in your interviews...Just sayin' ;)
Yes... I'm always drinking during them :lol:

Give me a little while, I took a picture of their sell sheet which will confirm the mashbills. I do think there was a slight error in there

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 14:07
Damn, the sell sheet indicates LDI is the 2-yr rye being put into the Double Rye, however that completely contradicts the statement by the rep. He indeed claimed it was their 2yr distillate. Either he was wrong or they haven't updated their sales material.

Double Rye = 2yr 95/5(malt) rye, 16 yr 53/37(corn) rye

Rendezvous = 6yr 95/5 rye, 16yr 80/10(corn)/10(malt) rye

He did at some point say 16 yr LDI... I wonder if he was just messing his facts up. I didn't really pay attention to the fact sheet while we was talking to me.

AaronWF
04-10-2012, 14:09
He did at some point say 16 yr LDI... I wonder if he was just messing his facts up. I didn't really pay attention to the fact sheet while we was talking to me.

Maybe you misheard or he misspoke and was talking about the 12-year old rye, which is LDI as far as I know. My understanding was that that was the oldest LDI rye around.

Also, if you look at the HW website's notes on the 12-year old, http://www.highwest.com/spirits/12-year-old-rye/ it says that LDI was using a 52% rye recipe in the early 80's and changed it gradually over time to the 95% in the early 90's. It did pass through an 80% rye phase, but being that HW's products didn't start showing up until 2008, that would mean that the 16yo rye would have been distilled around 1992, which sounds to me from the HW description was after LDI's mashbill changed to 95%.

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 14:13
Maybe you misheard or he misspoke and was talking about the 12-year old rye, which is LDI as far as I know. My understanding was that that was the oldest LDI rye around.
There was no discussion of a 12yr rye...

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 14:21
There was no discussion of a 12yr rye...

That is because this stuff is long gone, there were only 5 barrels. Aaron is correct, this is an LDI rye that was accidentally aged for an extended period.

macdeffe
04-10-2012, 14:23
The 53/37 is Four Roses

I think the 80/10/10 is Barton ?

Steffen

AaronWF
04-10-2012, 14:28
The 53/37 is Four Roses

Steffen

FOUR ROSES RYE????!!!!!! Are you trying to start a revolution??

The high rye bourbon FR makes is 60/35, but their lower rye 75/20 is what I believe is used in Son of Bourye as well as the original Bourye.

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 14:33
Steffen, in regards to 4R, I think you might be confusing the rye with some of the bourbon they used for their Bourye or Son of Boureye.

macdeffe
04-10-2012, 14:34
Sorry :-) No revolutions today from me, I think I mixed it up with the bourbon from the Bourye :bowdown:

Steffen

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 14:34
FOUR ROSES RYE????!!!!!! Are you trying to start a revolution??

The high rye bourbon FR makes is 60/35, but their lower rye 75/20 is what I believe is used in Son of Bourye as well as the original Bourye.

Oh boy :slappin:

macdeffe
04-10-2012, 14:38
I found this from Notamormon in old thread

And for some fun facts: High West doesn't just blend old and young whiskey from one distillery (LDI). We actually have whiskeys from Four Roses, Barton, and LDI. Rendezvous blends 6yo LDI with 16yo Barton. Double Rye! blends 2yo LDI and 16 year old Barton. The fun part is, the 16yo's have different mashbills. In Rendezvous, the 16yo has 80% rye, 10% corn, and 10% malt. This was a real shocker to people to know there was an older rye with that high of a rye mashbill. The 16yo in Double Rye has a more conventional rye whiskey mashbill with 53% rye, 37% corn, and 10% malt. Was I lucky when I sourced these? Very! And Bourye is a blend of Four Roses, LDI, and Barton.

Steffen, sorry for all the confusion

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 14:46
Steffen, thanks for re-posting that. Notamormon is the man himself, David Perkins, so it seems this is confirmation that both the 16s are from Barton.

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 14:57
Lesson of the day: double check my facts :o

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 14:58
However I still maintain it was said that the 2yr rye is HW juice

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 15:01
From the High West webstie

"The 2 year old has a mash bill with 95% rye and 5% barley malt and is fermented with High West’s proprietary yeast."

It could imply they're making 95/5 rye themselves :skep:

macdeffe
04-10-2012, 15:14
Maybe. But their Silver Rye is 80 rye/ 20 malted rye

Steffen

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 17:16
Here's the word back from an email

Thanks for your email and it was a good pleasure to meet with you today. You really seem to know and have great appreciation for whiskey, qualities I enjoy!

I apologize for any confusion that existed on our whiskeys, though I may have misunderstood your question. We have a lot of different whiskeys with various mashbills and of different provenance. I'll give you a broad run down of all the rye whiskeys in our program and please let me know if this doesn't clear things up:

- 95% rye, 5% malted barley - basically anywhere you see a 95% rye mashbill (in our brand or any other) it is a LDI distillate. "95" is kind of their thing... We currently blend this into our Double Rye! at 2 years old and our Rendezvous at 6 years.

- 53% rye, 37% corn, 10% malted barley - this was a former mashbill of LDI, though they do not produce it anymore. We have some of this that we pulled from barrel at 16 years and use it mostly for blending into the Double Rye! program.

- 80% rye, 10% corn, 10% malted barley - this also was a former mashbill of LDI (and I'd venture to say their best) and we have some that we also pulled from barrel at 16 years. It is used for blending into our Rendezvous program

- 100% rye (80% unmalted, 20% malted) - this is everything that is now distilled at High West, in Park City. Currently, it goes into bottle as our Silver Rye but the majority goes into barrel. The oldest that we have is just over 4 years and future Double Rye! (once we run out of the 2yr old LDI stuff) will be bottled with a portion of this production. The rest will be held for various single age expressions, etc.

BFerguson
04-10-2012, 17:53
Well, I'm sure if we just wait long enough, Mat will probably be by to shed what light he can on the questions at hand.

He is going to know as well as anybody.

B

BFerguson
04-10-2012, 18:00

The 21yr is something special. I've finished one bottle open over the last year and having recently tasted this again during a tasting that Mat hosted a couple of weeks ago, confirmed my beliefs that bunking a couple has been a wise move.

This was from a batch of 100 barrels if I remember correctly, and that is not much in the grand scale of product lines. Savor it while you can.

B

StraightNoChaser
04-10-2012, 18:10
Supposedly a few cases of the 21yr will make it to Dallas in the next month or two... it's on my radar

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 19:06
About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?

AaronWF
04-10-2012, 20:27
About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?

Well my thought is that it's possible that Barton made the rye for Seagrams for use in some Canadian, but I'm pretty satisfied with the evidence that they were distilled at Barton.

LostBottle
04-10-2012, 21:10
Supposedly a few cases of the 21yr will make it to Dallas in the next month or two... it's on my radar

I too will echo the 21 is good stuff, I recommend picking up a bottle to try. SNC, have you ever had the 16? In my opinion, it is unique and better than the 21 - I recommend you hunting some down and giving that a taste also.

cigarnv
04-11-2012, 15:34
I too will echo the 21 is good stuff, I recommend picking up a bottle to try. SNC, have you ever had the 16? In my opinion, it is unique and better than the 21 - I recommend you hunting some down and giving that a taste also.

I am also a fan of the 16YO.... the best of the HW lineup IMO..

mrviognier
04-12-2012, 05:05
Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight. :grin:

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Ejmharris
04-12-2012, 18:51

how do you like the Bourye? I was quickly passing through a store today and it caught me eye. Has to run to get home in time.

Btw, Indiana stores were flush with HW products. All but one store I stopped in had plenty of selections. Hope it is selling well there. Crown Liquors store clerk raved about your products.

mrviognier
04-12-2012, 19:06
I love the Bourye...although it's gone the way of the Edsel. The Bourbon was 10 year-old Four Roses, and the Rye 6 year-old LDI. Long story short, we couldn't keep up with demand, and ran short of the Bourbon. We are out of it at the distillery, and there won't be any more. If you like it, I'd suggest you buy it when you see it.

We love the blend of Straight Bourbon and Straight Rye, and sought to continue the Bourye legacy. We've come up with something that philosophically fits...but it's a blend of 5 & 6 year-old Straight Bourbon and 3 year-old Rye. As it's decidedly a bolder, spicier expression, we chose to call it "Son of Bourye" to avoid any confusion.

IMHO, it's a much more compelling - and engaging - expression that the original.

Ejmharris
04-12-2012, 19:08
I love the Bourye...although it's gone the way of the Edsel. The Bourbon was 10 year-old Four Roses, and the Rye 6 year-old LDI. Long story short, we couldn't keep up with demand, and ran short of the Bourbon. We are out of it at the distillery, and there won't be any more. If you like it, I'd suggest you buy it when you see it.

We love the blend of Straight Bourbon and Straight Rye, and sought to continue the Bourye legacy. We've come up with something that philosophically fits...but it's a blend of 5 & 6 year-old Straight Bourbon and 3 year-old Rye. As it's decidedly a bolder, spicier expression, we chose to call it "Son of Bourye" to avoid any confusion.

IMHO, it's a much more compelling - and engaging - expression that the original.

Thanks Mat. I should have asked when I was not two hours away, because now I want some. I will probably be back next week and will have to give it a shot if I make there. Appreciate the info.

StraightNoChaser
04-13-2012, 00:29
Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight. :grin:

I got a very informative email from Kieran after you talked to him! Glad we have the record straight :grin:

cigarnv
04-13-2012, 06:19
David is a first class guy who IMO represents the next generation of whiskey men who just want to produce great product in any fashion they can. While respecting tradition David does not let it fence him in. He also recognizes that there is no sin in using whiskey made by others if the outcome is a great product in the bottle.

AaronWF
04-13-2012, 09:41
how do you like the Bourye? I was quickly passing through a store today and it caught me eye. Has to run to get home in time.

I have only had the opportunity to briefly taste the Bouryes. I sampled the Bourye at WhiskyFest 2011 and it really kind of shocked me in the midst of so much scotch, bourbon and rye. It was as if the rye whiskey component and the bourbon whiskey component separated in my mouth so that I could taste them at the same time but each on their own. It was a weird experience, and at the time I felt that the Bourye was more an abstract work of art than a whiskey. I stayed away because I decided that if I was going to have a drink, I'd rather choose one or the other than experience the discombobulating effect of drinking two whiskies at the same time.

I tried the Son of Bourye this past WhiskyFest. It was much more well integrated; no dissociative effects for me this time. It actually made me miss the powerfully odd experience of drinking the Bourye, and inspired me to track some of the original down before it's all gone. And now I want to find a few more bottles of it too! I'll pass on the SoB, for now anyway.

Ejmharris
04-18-2012, 17:49

My wife is heading to Indy tonight so I sent her on a mission to hunt out some Bourye. Trust me that just getting her to agree to look for me was no easy feat. In the bourbon and rye whiskey aspect, she is not very supportive. Had to use some mad influencing skills!!!!

BFerguson
04-18-2012, 18:10
My wife is heading to Indy tonight so I sent her on a mission to hunt out some Bourye. Trust me that just getting her to agree to look for me was no easy feat. In the bourbon and rye whiskey aspect, she is not very supportive. Had to use some mad influencing skills!!!!

Ok, Give it up, what are your secrets in this! I get more and more eye rolling as the days go by. Even now as I type she is giving me the look.

B

Ejmharris
04-18-2012, 18:42
Ok, Give it up, what are your secrets in this! I get more and more eye rolling as the days go by. Even now as I type she is giving me the look.

B

I have plenty, and I mean plenty of eye rolling in the house. I could feel it when I was on the phone. She had committed to bring some Fat Tire beer back for a friend so I said "oh sure bring beer back for your boyfriend but not any whiskey for your husband." I am not above guilting her into these days! :)

mrviognier
04-18-2012, 18:43
If you're in the market for some, I CAN tell you that most of the major retailers in the NY/NJ market still have some Bourye. Just spent a week and a half in the area, and even our distributor has some.

Just an FYI.

Ejmharris
04-18-2012, 18:57
If you're in the market for some, I CAN tell you that most of the major retailers in the NY/NJ market still have some Bourye. Just spent a week and a half in the area, and even our distributor has some.

Just an FYI.

Thanks for info. I did see it last week in Indy so I wanted to avoid the $20 shipping charges. Although I have found a couple of other things that will help dilute some of the shipping if she doesn't find it.

Phil T
05-02-2012, 18:00
I bought the double rye a couple months ago, got around to opening it tonight. Very nice. A bargain at $32. I have ordered and will pick up in the next couple of weeks, the 16yr rye and the bourye. I will definitely open both of them sooner then later

mrviognier
05-03-2012, 07:09
Glad you liked our Double Rye! Also happy to know you've been able to secure bottles of the 16yr and Bourye...both are long gone from our warehouse and (sadly) their won't be more.

Phil T
05-05-2012, 06:44
I'm a relative newby to rye, Mat, so I'm really intrigued by your various selections. And being a lover of FR's, the Bourye with 10yr old FR's really interests me. Can you tell which mashbill was used in this blend?

Also, I was on the TPS website yesterday and saw they now have your products. Happy days!!

mrviognier
05-05-2012, 07:47
Sure...the mashbill on the Bourbon was/is 70% Corn, 20% Rye and 5% Barley. Sadly, our Bourye has gone the way of the Edsel...no more to be had. If you see it, buy it. I do. :grin:

We're very excited about finally being in Kentucky. What was really exciting to me was the fact that this initial shipment was the single-largest shipment in the history of our company for a new distributor!

Our first shipment hit the market last month...and you'll now find us in most of the 'usual suspects'. David is going to do an in-store event at the Liquor Barns in Louisville & Lexington next month, and is working out details with Jay at TPS for a visit.

Ejmharris
05-05-2012, 14:28
Sure...the mashbill on the Bourbon was/is 70% Corn, 20% Rye and 5% Barley. Sadly, our Bourye has gone the way of the Edsel...no more to be had. If you see it, buy it. I do. :grin:

We're very excited about finally being in Kentucky. What was really exciting to me was the fact that this initial shipment was the single-largest shipment in the history of our company for a new distributor!

Our first shipment hit the market last month...and you'll now find us in most of the 'usual suspects'. David is going to do an in-store event at the Liquor Barns in Louisville & Lexington next month, and is working out details with Jay at TPS for a visit.

When you find out dates for TPS event post it here. Would live to get signed up early. They do tend to fill up fast at TPS. Good news they are in NKY. I was just at TPS on Thursday. I must have missed them.

CaptainQ
05-18-2012, 11:28
Thanks to another member, I added these babies to the bunker before they're all gone.

http://i48.tinypic.com/300tz4n.jpg

cigarnv
05-18-2012, 12:26
Thanks to another member, I added these babies to the bunker before they're all gone.

http://i48.tinypic.com/300tz4n.jpg

Very nice find.... I think the 16YO is the best of the lineup....

LostBottle
05-18-2012, 20:19
Not just the best of the HW lineup, one of the best ryes on the market, period.

bad_scientist
05-18-2012, 20:55
Not just the best of the HW lineup, one of the best ryes on the market, period.

Do you guys get any fennel in it? I got that in the Rendezvous and it really distracted me.

Khari
05-20-2012, 18:56
Seeing CaptainQ's pic of the 16s reminded me of how much I liked it when I had it so I went on a hunt. I got two bottles coming in this week.

mrviognier
05-25-2012, 10:14
When you find out dates for TPS event post it here. Would live to get signed up early. They do tend to fill up fast at TPS. Good news they are in NKY. I was just at TPS on Thursday. I must have missed them.

Just worked out the details with Jay at TPS. We'll be there on September 7th.

White Dog
05-25-2012, 10:58

Mat, will you be in Milwaukee for the Rumpus Room event in June?

mrviognier
05-25-2012, 11:07
Unfortunately not. Kieran Walsh, our regional sales rep, will be in town for that event. I am planning on making a quick trip over to Madison within the next 45 days.

Ejmharris
05-26-2012, 05:06

Matt, great news. I am looking forward to it.

bad_scientist
05-26-2012, 16:18
Got a 16 year Rocky Mountain Rye today. I had a bit of a hard time with the Rendezvous, but my goodness, this is incredibly, incredibly tasty. I say incredible because I don't know how an aged rye metamorphosed into an entire French fruit pastry shop. It also has some cinnamon and dill, which may not sound like a good pairing, but is indeed. It's a phenomenally satisfying drink.

c2walker
05-26-2012, 17:14
Got a 16 year Rocky Mountain Rye today. I had a bit of a hard time with the Rendezvous, but my goodness, this is incredibly, incredibly tasty. I say incredible because I don't know how an aged rye metamorphosed into an entire French fruit pastry shop. It also has some cinnamon and dill, which may not sound like a good pairing, but is indeed. It's a phenomenally satisfying drink.

I recently picked a bottle up as well, but now I think I need to pick up another one (or three). I've yet to hear a bad thing about HW16.

bad_scientist
05-27-2012, 17:47
After one day, it took a sharp, sharp turn to the Rendezvous Rye profile, which is sensible because it's in the Rendezvous. Gone are the blueberry/custard notes that AaronWF described so well in his review, and in comes the dill and fennel. Still quite enjoyable, and if you like the Rendezvous, it likely would be fun to try the older part of it without the LDI mixed in.

soad
05-27-2012, 19:08
Flying to Denver tomorrow. When I take a break from hiking the Rockies, I'm gonna find me some High West!! :cool:

nivto
05-27-2012, 19:32
I recently picked a bottle up as well, but now I think I need to pick up another one (or three). I've yet to hear a bad thing about HW16.

It's worth trying for yourself before springing for more bottles based off of other people's opinions. At ~$50/375 ml it's not exactly the best deal in the whiskey world

c2walker
05-27-2012, 20:02
It's worth trying for yourself before springing for more bottles based off of other people's opinions. At ~$50/375 ml it's not exactly the best deal in the whiskey world

Fortunately the store I bought my 750 ml bottle of HW 16 had it priced just over $50 so my comment about getting more was influenced by the price as much as the quality! I'll get around to opening my current bottle eventually, but I have far too many bottles open at the moment. I usually refrain from purchasing multiple bottles of something without trying it, but a combination of good reviews by people I know with similar palates and the fact that High West generally puts out quality whiskey might just be enough to get me to shell out a few bucks for another bottle or two.

bad_scientist
05-27-2012, 20:10

Despite your amusing, paternal "advice", a good point could be made about its price. The profile when I first opened it was astounding, all berries and custard. Just so bright and different from any bourbon or scotch I've had. Now it's a lot more like the Rendezvous, making it less of a standout.

nivto
05-27-2012, 21:13
Fortunately the store I bought my 750 ml bottle of HW 16 had it priced just over $50 so my comment about getting more was influenced by the price as much as the quality! I'll get around to opening my current bottle eventually, but I have far too many bottles open at the moment. I usually refrain from purchasing multiple bottles of something without trying it, but a combination of good reviews by people I know with similar palates and the fact that High West generally puts out quality whiskey might just be enough to get me to shell out a few bucks for another bottle or two.

That's a great price. I don't think I ever saw the 750 go for less than in the $80 range. It's not my favorite rye, but I'd definitely take it at that price!

And I agree, it definitely helps to know who in this community has a palate that you trust!

Despite your amusing, paternal "advice", a good point could be made about its price. The profile when I first opened it was astounding, all berries and custard. Just so bright and different from any bourbon or scotch I've had. Now it's a lot more like the Rendezvous, making it less of a standout.

Not sure what is amusing about it. I wasn't trying to come off as condescending. Just making a point... a valid one, I think. You purchase multiple bottles of expensive whiskey without ever tasting it for yourself? I guess we each have our own way of doing things.

bad_scientist
05-27-2012, 21:39
Not sure what is amusing about it. I wasn't trying to come off as condescending. Just making a point... a valid one, I think. You purchase multiple bottles of expensive whiskey without ever tasting it for yourself? I guess we each have our own way of doing things.

Putting someone else's words in my mouth - very weird.

cigarnv
05-28-2012, 08:32

Ryan, I think you make a reasonable point as it may not be good versus bad but rather a) personal palate preference and / or b) batch differences. Granted the HW 16 will exhibit a similiar profile but each batch can be quite different with each showing different nuances that each of us may find more or less to our liking...

Old Lamplighter
06-03-2012, 13:49
Since it is not to be seen again, I picked up a Bourye last week out of curiosity. The Rendezvous I just finished got better with air and I expect this one will do same. The first pour was just flat and uninspiring in terms of the rye. I could detect the 4R (OBSV I think) and that made it more inviting for future sampling. The 2d & 3d pours were a lot better with the rye beginning to open up nicely to pair with the 4R.

The concept is a little strange to me, being a longtime bourbon lover and only 'discovering' rye in the last 2-3 years. However, I am up to giving anything a shot once. Jury still out whether I spend $60 on another though.

bad_scientist
06-03-2012, 13:59
Since it is not to be seen again, I picked up a Bourye last week out of curiosity. The Rendezvous I just finished got better with air and I expect this one will do same. The first pour was just flat and uninspiring in terms of the rye. I could detect the 4R (OBSV I think) and that made it more inviting for future sampling. The 2d & 3d pours were a lot better with the rye beginning to open up nicely to pair with the 4R.

The concept is a little strange to me, being a longtime bourbon lover and only 'discovering' rye in the last 2-3 years. However, I am up to giving anything a shot once. Jury still out whether I spend $60 on another though.

Bourye has a 20% rye 4R whiskey, so it's one of the OEs, not an OB.

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/bourye/

Old Lamplighter
06-03-2012, 19:13
Bourye has a 20% rye 4R whiskey, so it's one of the OEs, not an OB.

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/bourye/

You are absolutely correct. I forgot about it being the 20% recipe...maybe the rye was talking a little louder than I wanted to admit.

mosugoji64
06-03-2012, 23:12

This one is proving to be a chameleon for me. The first couple of pours reminded me of Ritt BIB in that it seemed like a rye-heavy bourbon. A couple of weeks later, I'm picking up a lot more of the LDI rye. It's very good, but I don't know what to expect each time I reach for the bottle!

StraightNoChaser
07-30-2012, 18:14
Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...

White Dog
07-31-2012, 08:22
Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...

I honestly think it's worth every penny. Fascinating stuff, mainly due to it being aged in used cooperage.

Evets
07-31-2012, 13:55
I don't care so much about numbers and sources but I very much like High West products! When I drink and smoke I want to FORGET about numbers!

Old Lamplighter
09-01-2012, 15:03

I sure wish I had had a chance to grab a 16yo. Never saw it on any shelves in West TN but seen plenty of others. For whatever reason, Rendezvous didn't do a lot for me but Bourye been a different story. Thinking about getting another while more plentiful in my parts as well as giving the Double a shot. Scotch is not my thing....so, while the Campfire sounds great, think I'll respectively pass on that one. For Scotch lovers, probably the bee's knees. The 21yo is pretty much out of my wallet range at present but hoping to try it by end of year.

Thanks for the good work and product coming from High West....looking forward to more in the future. Are you still planning to be at TPS on Sept 7th? Anything new for them with your arrival? Love TPS and Jay always a great source of advice. Thanks again!

mrviognier
09-01-2012, 16:19
Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!

Ejmharris
09-01-2012, 17:44
Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!

I will swing by the OKBB on Thursday. Will be at TPS for sure on Friday.

Ejmharris
09-04-2012, 19:50
Just signed up for the the TPS event on Friday. Looking forward to tasting some of the High West products for the first time. I am still trying to get my wife to stop and grab me some of the original Bourye on the way through Indy.

Ejmharris
09-08-2012, 21:22
I got to attend the High West tasting last night at TPS. Mat did a great job with giving us the history of High West and the background of their whiskeys. It is quite refreshing to see a company that is so straight forward with where their whiskey comes from and what goes in their blends. We tasted the following whiskeys. They are listed below how I would rank them from last night:

Rendezvous
21 year old (crap I don't recall the name)
Double Rye
Son of Bourye
Campfire
Silver Oat - oat white light whiskey
silver rye - rye white whiskey

The herbal earthy tones in the rendezvous is what gave it top billing for me last night. There is something about this whiskey that I really enjoyed. I did really like the 21 year old Barton rye. It was something special. I will probably kick myself for not picking up before it disappears forever. I went in expecting to not like the Campfire at all. It is all Scotch on the nose. The pallet gives you a touch of the rye spice and a nice sweet bourbon finish. Otters was a lot going on there. The Scotch tones will probably keep me from ever buying it but wouldn't turn it down at a friends house. The white whiskeys were a lot better than most I have had. The oat had a good fruity nose and taste. It is one I would consider buying to replace the vodka in my wife's cocktails.

mrviognier
09-15-2012, 16:45
Kind words...thanks! Thanks also for coming out for the tasting. It was great to meet you!

Jono
09-16-2012, 15:24
My brother in law and sister in law had us over for dinner after they installed a beautiful stone patio. He broke out the High West Rye double rye, my first experience, and I was very pleasantly pleased with it. Smooth, tasty and was perfect by the fire on a gorgeous end of summer evening. I picked up a licorice/anise taste of all things on the finish.

MyOldKyDram
12-07-2012, 18:27
Picked up a 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye tonight. Been staring at it for a good long while and finally decided to take that plunge.

Kyjd75
12-08-2012, 06:36
Picked up a 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye tonight. Been staring at it for a good long while and finally decided to take that plunge.

Oh, that is gooooood stuff! You will not be disappointed.

skidfive
12-08-2012, 11:44
I found a store that had one 16 and one 21, but if I recall correctly, they were 375ml bottles and the glass was that colored/silver/reflective looking glass.

Anyone know anything about these bottles or were all the 375's this bottle look

sailor22
12-08-2012, 13:02
I know the very first 21yr 750's had that sort of surface but the later ones didn't. From what I can tell the whiskey inside is the same.
Don't know about the 375's but a 375 21yr I got last year didn't have it.

skidfive
12-08-2012, 15:59
thanks for the info, I might get one. I think that 59.99 for the 16 and 89.99 for the 21 for 375ml bottles is too much. Id rather get the Handy that I see for that price

WAINWRIGHT
12-08-2012, 16:05
Nice play,I couldn't resist as well get back to us when you open it up.I actually enjoy the subtlety of this rye due to the use of used cooperage,it is not what I expected at all,but in a good way!

michaelturtle1
12-08-2012, 16:18
I found a store that had one 16 and one 21, but if I recall correctly, they were 375ml bottles and the glass was that colored/silver/reflective looking glass.

Anyone know anything about these bottles or were all the 375's this bottle look

I bought 3x 375's of the 16 yr and they were in the irridescent bottles, I wish I could find more as it is delicious

HighHorse
12-08-2012, 16:20
I know the very first 21yr 750's had that sort of surface but the later ones didn't. From what I can tell the whiskey inside is the same.
Don't know about the 375's but a 375 21yr I got last year didn't have it.

I picked up a 375 last year that was in the opaque silver bottle. $72.00! Sometimes I question my sanity. Up until then I had not been able to locate it so I took the plunge.

skidfive
12-08-2012, 16:41
michaelturtle - what did they run you where you got them.

high horse, I am guessing by the price it was the 21?

michaelturtle1
12-08-2012, 16:53

They were $53 per bottle and they came from somewhere in Colorado...

HighHorse
12-08-2012, 18:29

Yes .. it was ...

ThomasH
01-12-2013, 15:43
Had the 21 at a tasting last week. Very good. Recently got a bottle of the 16yr but haven't had a chance to try it!

Thomas

LostBottle
01-14-2013, 21:45
Had the 21 at a tasting last week. Very good. Recently got a bottle of the 16yr but haven't had a chance to try it!

Thomas

if you like rye, you'll love the 16. About the only bad thing I can say about that bottle is that it is hard to find now (but totally worth it).

Cigar Dan
03-07-2013, 17:34
I've seen the 21 in a couple of different places for about $130. Does that sound about right?

I've not pulled the trigger on one yet, but I am considering it. If I hadn't bought two bottles of PHC this week already, I probably would have taken the plunge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tico
03-07-2013, 17:40
I've seen the 21 in a couple of different places for about $130. Does that sound about right?

I've not pulled the trigger on one yet, but I am considering it. If I hadn't bought two bottles of PHC this week already, I probably would have taken the plunge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I'd say its on the higher end of the range Ive seen out ($110-$130) here but its still within reach

SFS
03-07-2013, 20:44
I've located 3 bottles of the 21 near me, for $130 each, IIRC.

LostBottle
03-08-2013, 11:54
I am sure everyone is aware of this, but I will post it again as a PSA. The High West 21 is no longer being bottled. While I am sure this stay on shelves for a bit because the price can be prohibitive, I recommend buying it if you have been on the fence. It won't be getting any cheaper, and I have seen a couple places jack up the price as their stock dwindles. I bunkered a couple because it is not only very tasty, but very unique - I don't know if we will ever again see a rye aged in used cooperage for 21 years.

squire
03-08-2013, 11:59
Used cooperage for the entire 21 years LB, that doesn't sound like something a US distiller would've done.

Wryguy
03-08-2013, 12:05
Used cooperage for the entire 21 years LB, that doesn't sound like something a US distiller would've done.Barton distilled for the Canadian market, never shipped/picked up, later bought by HW for their 21 year.

mrviognier
03-08-2013, 12:48
The 21yr is a Barton Rye in used cooperage. At the time of distillation they were trying a number of different mashbills (and, I believe, yeasts), the idea being that, after the tests results were logged, they'd dump the whiskeys into their Canadian program. This particular lot was so tasty, that they held on to it. There really wasn't a program to put it in...couldn't be called 'Straight', and Barton wasn't about to bottle 80-100 barrels as a one-off product. So, there it sat...until David happened upon it.

squire
03-08-2013, 13:25
Hope somebody in Saz marketing is paying attention.

jtexaslonestar
03-08-2013, 17:53
The 21yr is a Barton Rye in used cooperage. At the time of distillation they were trying a number of different mashbills (and, I believe, yeasts), the idea being that, after the tests results were logged, they'd dump the whiskeys into their Canadian program. This particular lot was so tasty, that they held on to it. There really wasn't a program to put it in...couldn't be called 'Straight', and Barton wasn't about to bottle 80-100 barrels as a one-off product. So, there it sat...until David happened upon it.

Thanks for the excellent info Mat!! I love the 21yr rye and am fortunate enough to be on my 3rd bottle. I have some very nice friends! :grin: unfortunately my wife finds this expression to be agreeable as well. I might need to decanter the rest and put something else in that bottle. :skep:

SFS
03-11-2013, 09:31
unfortunately my wife finds this expression to be agreeable as well. I might need to decanter the rest and put something else in that bottle. :skep:

Hmm... devious, but likely effective. I'll need to remember this.... :o

squire
03-11-2013, 10:04
Oh I wouldn't say devious actually, there's a certain amount of detente in marriage and we guys have to stick together.

jtexaslonestar
03-11-2013, 10:27
Oh I wouldn't say devious actually, there's a certain amount of detente in marriage and we guys have to stick together.
:toast:
Very true. Give'em an inch and they'll take a mile. And that mile could translate into 750mL of HW21.

SFS
03-11-2013, 11:39
It was meant in a more humorous vein, in the sense of "clever".

I note for the record that the chemist in me didn't even twitch at the idea of an improperly labeled bottle, 'cause indeed, we guys have to stick together.

jtexaslonestar
03-11-2013, 12:07
It was meant in a more humorous vein, in the sense of "clever".

I note for the record that the chemist in me didn't even twitch at the idea of an improperly labeled bottle, 'cause indeed, we guys have to stick together.

That's cool, I caught the "clever"ness. And improperly labeled bottles are not our friends. Remind me of that in the future if you see me post a thread called " Help! my hw21 tastes like JB rye!":lol:

ChainWhip
03-11-2013, 12:08
I left a 375ml bottle of HW21 @ my parents place in SLC and next time I visited, my mom had already used it for cooking... Aargh!!!!!

She did say that it was good cooking wine...

Should've relabeled it as facial cleanser or something.

squire
03-11-2013, 12:13
For me 'cooking with' means having whisky in the same room.

p_elliott
03-11-2013, 12:14
I left a 375ml bottle of HW21 @ my parents place in SLC and next time I visited, my mom had already used it for cooking... Aargh!!!!!

She did say that it was good cooking wine...

Should've relabeled it as facial cleanser or something.

Now that's funny

SFS
03-11-2013, 14:39
For me 'cooking with' means having whisky in the same room.
And that's funny too!