PDA

View Full Version : What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Rockefeller
04-11-2012, 09:11
Thought this thread could be in the same spirit as the buy / pass-up threads. Often I find myself faced with two or more tempting whiskey choices to add to the collection, but sadly budgeted myself for only one bottle. Hopefully people can add their 2c to make these either-or decisions easier.

I'll start.

Either:
Parker's Heritage Cognac at $80
or
4R Single Barrel Cask Strength at $60 (K&L bottling)

Tico
04-11-2012, 09:37
I'd go with the PHC 5th Cognac finished. While I haven't had the K&L 4R yet, the PHC 5th is special stuff.

yountvillewjs
04-11-2012, 09:39
Those are two really solid choices right there. I'm finding my preferences run more towards the 4R camp -- but having never had the Cognac finish, hard to say.

I've found great liberation in quitting the Pappy hunt. It went from the thrill of the hunt to general fatigue and exhaustion. When it's not fun, I'm out.

So what should I buy --

A handful of Ritt BiB or Redbreast 12 CS?

c2walker
04-11-2012, 09:43
I agree with Tico and I'm not even a huge fan of the PHC Cognac. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very good, but not one I'm bunkering. The FR SBs I've had from TPS and Binny's range from average to phenomenal. What would prompt me to pick up a PHC over a FR, however, is that in a couple years you'll most likely be able to find a great cask strength bottling of FR, but the PHC Cognac will be gone forever.

Rockefeller
04-11-2012, 10:39
The PHCognac it is!

So what should I buy --

Ritt BiB. Seems like the better value and more limited item.

AaronWF
04-11-2012, 10:41
Parker's Heritage Cognac at $80
or
4R Single Barrel Cask Strength at $60 (K&L bottling)

It might depend on the 4R recipe. I tend to prefer the 4R that sit at less than 110pf straight from the barrel, though I imagine if K&L only has one recipe on their shelf, you can bet it's delicious.

I love the PHC Cognac and would definitely encourage you to pick one up if you've not had it yet. 4R will keep rolling out gorgeous bourbon, but when the PHC is gone, it's gone for good.

So what should I buy --

I think we've been through this. Redbreast CS all the way!

Rockefeller
04-12-2012, 07:04
Took the plunge with the PHC. Picked up a PVW23 for good measure.

DaveOfAtl
04-12-2012, 07:23
Okay, here are two in the same general price range that I've had my eye on but never tried. Should I pick up the: WR Double Oaked OR Rock Hill Farm.

Thanks.

Brisko
04-12-2012, 07:23
I say RHF based on the decanter alone.

Wall Eye
04-12-2012, 07:56

I'd say RHF based on the bourbon alone.

Rockefeller
04-12-2012, 08:45

What makes the RHF bottle a decanter? Couldn't I just call the OWA bottle a decanter if i put a glass stopper in it?

Brisko
04-12-2012, 08:50
What makes the RHF bottle a decanter? Couldn't I just call the OWA bottle a decanter if i put a glass stopper in it?

Probably. But the RHF bottle actually looks nice. :cool:

I haven't had either RHF or the Woodford but I would be a lot more willing to take a risk on RHF for the price.

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 09:09

Couldn't I just call my Aunt Edna my Uncle Fred if she had a mustache? :D

Anywho, back to David's question. David, you can try the Double Oaked tomorrow at GBS. I would think that if you aren't a fan of the WR house style, you may not like the DO. It's definitely not as pronounced, but it is there. Personally, I like the WR style, and really enjoy what the rebarreling does in rounding out this whiskey. Makes it very cognac-like. It's hard to beat the RHF for from a taste standpoint and aesthetics, though. Make your decision after tomorrow. :D
Cheers!

Tucker
04-12-2012, 09:48
Anywho, back to David's question. David, you can try the Double Oaked tomorrow at GBS.

I should have guessed you'd have some, Joe. I went on my rounds yesterday looking for this and batted 0-5. It went quick!

DaveOfAtl
04-12-2012, 09:55
Perfect. Looking forward to trying it.

Brisko
04-12-2012, 10:53
As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

I've had Baker's and I like it quite a bit. I haven't tried the other two yet.

JayMonster
04-12-2012, 12:33
As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

I really like all 3, but thanks to SB, when all things are equal I tend to lean towards the higher proof, so I would go with the Bookers and the KCSB if I had to choose 2.

Rockefeller
04-12-2012, 19:52
Looking for a change of pace.

WhistlePig for $59 or Bernheim Wheat at about half the price?

LostBottle
04-12-2012, 19:55

Whistlepig, hands down. It is a good whiskey and that is a good price.

tommyj1986
04-12-2012, 19:57

I haven't had a chance to try WP but I'd be more tempted to get it at that price. That being said I have the Bernheim and I like it a lot myself. It's been a while but I recall it having a real fruity taste, like banana. The price when I picked it up was only $35 but they recently bumped it up to $41, I won't be paying that much for it, but I'd get another at the $30 to $35 range.

Rockefeller
04-13-2012, 10:57
Went with a WP. Figured the original release from Canadian stock was more limited.

fishnbowljoe
04-13-2012, 15:51

I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.

gblick
04-14-2012, 09:18
Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

AaronWF
04-14-2012, 10:19
Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

The 1B is a thick, heavy rainbow jolly rancher that takes a few months to really open up. The SmB is a tantalizing seductress of honey, melon and wood. I'd have to give it to the SmB for being a bit more accessible. If you want something to sit open on your bar for a few months, go with the 1B, but if you want instant gratification, go with the SmB.

SMOWK
04-14-2012, 10:32
Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

gblick
04-14-2012, 10:58
Thanks! I still don't know whether I'll pull the trigger (I'm cheap), but this helps.

Brisko
04-15-2012, 19:35
I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.

That was my first thought, too. But I got the KCSB for about the same price as regular KC would be. And I'm always looking to try new things.

Even though the sale is over I'll be getting another Booker's from this batch for the bunker.

JayMonster
04-16-2012, 07:04
OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

What I can find around here includes

EC12
EC18
EWSB
JW Dant
Fighting Cock
Henry McKenna 80
Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?

Young Blacksmith
04-16-2012, 11:58
Definitely not JW Dant!

I'd pick EC12, especially the newer bottles from '11 & '12. EWSB would be my second pick, as I think EC18 is too woody.

Brisko
04-16-2012, 13:48
OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

What I can find around here includes

EC12
EC18
EWSB
JW Dant
Fighting Cock
Henry McKenna 80
Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?

The problem, as I see it, is that EWB is the Heaven Hill profile... so avoid all the cats and dogs like Dant and standard McKenna, etc. because they are just variations on that theme.

Fighting Cock goes in a different direction and EWSB is generally very good (although perhaps a touch bland) and tones down the grass/mint. EC12 and 18 have their own issues but the 12 would be a cheap learning experience. I'm fond of McKenna single barrel but I recall it being fairly mentholated (though balanced with citrus notes) so you might not care for it.

Based on your stated preferences I think EWSB is a good choice. Maybe FC, too. They're both relatively inexpensive, anyway.

cowdery
04-17-2012, 11:44
My current recommendations are here (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-to-buy-now.html).

Interestingly, that post has received a lot of hits, several times more than the posts around it. How to interpret that? One way would be that many people are more interested in simply being told what to do than they are in taking the time, and doing the work, to learn about something so they can make their own selections.

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 11:51
One way would be that many people are more interested in simply being told what to do than they are in taking the time, and doing the work, to learn about something so they can make their own selections.

Agreed. People who read reviews and recommendations are lazy. They should just buy every bottle in the store and figure out what tastes good.

sob0728
04-17-2012, 14:31
My current recommendations are here (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-to-buy-now.html).

Interestingly, that post has received a lot of hits, several times more than the posts around it. How to interpret that? One way would be that many people are more interested in simply being told what to do than they are in taking the time, and doing the work, to learn about something so they can make their own selections.

A lot of people have a limited amount of money and would like to buy something that is generally perceived by others as a good product. I see nothing wrong with this thread.

This isn't like running shoes where you can just try them all on and take home the ones that fit you best.

Lazer
04-17-2012, 15:02
Agreed. People who read reviews and recommendations are lazy. They should just buy every bottle in the store and figure out what tastes good.

Amen. Bourbon is a personal journey and you can't just let people tell you whats good. You'll end up drinking a lot of Maker's Mark and Pappy Van Winkle and you'll never know what you might really like. You'll waste a lot of time and money buying what's in style instead of what YOU like. The answer is yes, give everything a try, but not all at once. After a while you'll be able to make educated guesses about what is and isn't worth it. Bourbon takes personal experience.

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 15:14
Amen. Bourbon is a personal journey and you can't just let people tell you whats good. You'll end up drinking a lot of Maker's Mark and Pappy Van Winkle and you'll never know what you might really like. You'll waste a lot of time and money buying what's in style instead of what YOU like. The answer is yes, give everything a try, but not all at once. After a while you'll be able to make educated guesses about what is and isn't worth it. Bourbon takes personal experience.

Well, I guess this would be the time to admit I was being sarcastic, albeit ineffectively it appears.

There's no reason to knock someone who relies on the expertise of others. People with limited budgets want to avoid making mistakes on bottles and may not have the time to trawl the threads of a bourbon geek forum. It's rather unfair for someone to flaunt his expertise and then simultaneously chide the plebes for following his recommendations. Yes, finding what flavors you like is a personal journey, but there's nothing wrong with reading the opinions of those who've been down the road before. Also, Chuck's recommendations were three types of whiskeys that are going to be extremely limited and/or disappearing completely--the kind of information that couldn't be gleaned from taste alone.

hectic1
04-17-2012, 15:53
Well, I guess this would be the time to admit I was being sarcastic, albeit ineffectively it appears.

There's no reason to knock someone who relies on the expertise of others. People with limited budgets want to avoid making mistakes on bottles and may not have the time to trawl the threads of a bourbon geek forum. It's rather unfair for someone to flaunt his expertise and then simultaneously chide the plebes for following his recommendations. Yes, finding what flavors you like is a personal journey, but there's nothing wrong with reading the opinions of those who've been down the road before. Also, Chuck's recommendations were three types of whiskeys that are going to be extremely limited and/or disappearing completely--the kind of information that couldn't be gleaned from taste alone. Same can be said in the opposite vain...what one thinks is great juice I might think is swill. Just because a review is out there stating good or bad contents doesn't mean that you're going to agree or disagree with the reviewer. Please try and keep your personal battles/issues with Chuck private as it's pretty clear that all you were trying to do is go against whatever he said.:rolleyes:

Money does come into play but that's the beauty of trading samples, buying 50ml bottles, 200ml, buying a pour at a bar...you don't have to buy a 750ml to see if you like or dislike a bottle!:cool:

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 16:11
Same can be said in the opposite vain...what one thinks is great juice I might think is swill. Just because a review is out there stating good or bad contents doesn't mean that you're going to agree or disagree with the reviewer.

True, but if most reviewers agree on a particular bottle and post similar notes that appeal to your preferred tasting profile, it's probably a good bet that you'll enjoy it too.

Please try and keep your personal battles/issues with Chuck private as it's pretty clear that all you were trying to do is go against whatever he said.:rolleyes:

Puh-lease. Gratuitous attacks on enthusiasts who lack total expertise aren't appreciated, no matter who's behind them. The notion that people reading recommendations "are more interested in simply being told what to do" is ridiculous.

Money does come into play but that's the beauty of trading samples, buying 50ml bottles, 200ml, buying a pour at a bar...you don't have to buy a 750ml to see if you like or dislike a bottle!

Right, obviously there are other ways to try things before buying 750 ML. But reviews and recommendation lists are helpful in finding out what you want to try in the first place.

hectic1
04-17-2012, 17:10
True, but if most reviewers agree on a particular bottle and post similar notes that appeal to your preferred tasting profile, it's probably a good bet that you'll enjoy it too.

Puh-lease. Gratuitous attacks on enthusiasts who lack total expertise aren't appreciated, no matter who's behind them. The notion that people reading recommendations "are more interested in simply being told what to do" is ridiculous.

Right, obviously there are other ways to try things before buying 750 ML. But reviews and recommendation lists are helpful in finding out what you want to try in the first place. I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not looking to engage in verbal sparing over the internet. I don't see anything wrong with what Chuck said...I know many people who are intimidated by the hobby and are in the exact position that he described...if you could take a step back from your personal dislike for Chuck you might see that there is some level of truth to what he said. ;)

soad
04-17-2012, 17:53
Please try and keep your personal battles/issues with Chuck private as it's pretty clear that all you were trying to do is go against whatever he said.:rolleyes:

Hear, hear.

We are here to talk bourbon, not fight at every turn. It has gotten old.

sob0728
04-17-2012, 17:59
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not looking to engage in verbal sparing over the internet. I don't see anything wrong with what Chuck said...I know many people who are intimidated by the hobby and are in the exact position that he described...if you could take a step back from your personal dislike for Chuck you might see that there is some level of truth to what he said. ;)

I can see either side of this, however, sometimes it is nice to have a recommendation. Just last week I wanted to know if I should buy Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit, so I started a thread. Eventually I will try both, I am sure, but I was just looking for some opinions on what people seemed to like. Rare Breed was a runaway winner so it made me excited to go out and buy some bourbon, isn't that what this place is about?

If I need legal advice, I'll talk to a lawyer friend. If I need tax advice, I will talk to an accountant. If I need bourbon advice, it's nice to be able to ask the great bourbon minds here.:grin:

I am not trying to defend BarrelChar by any means, but I do think Chuck should understand that not everyone gets sent samples and invited to industry tasting events and we like to get good bourbon when we spend money on it.

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 18:01
if you could take a step back from your personal dislike for Chuck you might see that there is some level of truth to what he said. ;)

Again, you've repeated your inaccurate contention this is part of a feud. In truth, the only folks making it personal are those who apply preferential double standards.

The original post in question was unambiguous and insulting toward many of the bourbon enthusiasts who read that blog. Typically, a writer would be happy to generate more traffic from the recommendations he willingly posted, instead of using the popularity of that post to make paternalistic assumptions about people who aren't as perfectly informed.

Bourbon is growing. People are going to read recommendations--and rightfully so. There's no reason to snipe at the newcomers who haven't been enthusiasts for 30+ years, especially on a forum entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?"

hectic1
04-17-2012, 18:25
Again, you've repeated your inaccurate contention this is part of a feud. In truth, the only folks making it personal are those who apply preferential double standards.

Read what Chuck wrote. It's unambiguous and insulting toward many of the bourbon enthusiasts who read his blog. Typically, a writer would be happy to generate more traffic from the recommendations he willingly posted, instead of using the popularity of that post to make paternalistic assumptions about people who aren't as perfectly informed.

Bourbon is growing. People are going to read recommendations--and rightfully so. There's no reason to snipe at the newcomers who haven't been enthusiasts for 30+ years, especially on a forum entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?"
So are you saying that there is no truth to what Chuck said? It's a simple yes or no answer in case you were going to go off on another diatribe about why he said it. ;)

Virus_Of_Life
04-17-2012, 18:41
Everyone needs to adjust their shorts, take a deep breath and make sure their sensitive bits are ok. Their is not a damn thing wrong with what Chuck said. Anyone who doubts the best way to learn what you like is by drinking it is bring foolish, same goes for anyone who expects to taste the same things a taster uses to describe a bourbon. A certain version of OF Birthday Bourbon was described by same as tasting like diaper, many followed suit, I personally found it to be one of the best unique OFBB releases. Does that mean I like the taste of diaper? No, my pallette didn't interpret what I tasted as diaper in any sense. The only way to learn about the flavors and style of bourbon you like is to drink as many different bourbons as you can. Taste is subjective, as are opinions.

JayMonster
04-17-2012, 18:48
I think the truth sits somewhere in the middle.

Is there some truth in what Chuck said? Yes.

At the same time, it really sticks out like a sore thumb and is out of place in the context of this thread, which despite the simplistic title is more about helping decide between a couple (or several) bottles and the reason for them.

There was actually a recent thread where somebody was asking why this site didn't have a scoring/rating section like "so many other sites" and this conversation probably BELONGED in that thread. But here, it seems, as BarrelChar said (correctly, feud or not) condecending to those asking for an opinion.

Are there people out there that go strictly by ratings? Absolutely. They are actually the vast majority of people, who couldn't care less about what percentage of rye is in Bourbon X. They don't want to research it, they don't care enough. So be it. You know it and I know it.

But stating it here is like preaching to the choir. We know better, but that doesn't mean we can't ask the opinons of other enthusiasts to help give us an opinon. Some of don't have a vast collection of 50ml bottles or even bars that have much more than Maker's and OGD. So we have to reach out to others of similar mind and stature. What is so wrong about that?

hectic1
04-17-2012, 18:50
I am not trying to defend BarrelChar by any means, but I do think Chuck should understand that not everyone gets sent samples and invited to industry tasting events and we like to get good bourbon when we spend money on it. There in lies the truth...YOUR pallet is the only one who should be deciding what is or isn't good bourbon! Arguement over! :D

sob0728
04-17-2012, 18:55
There in lies the truth...YOUR pallet is the only one who should be deciding what is or isn't good bourbon! Arguement over! :D

If only I knew someone who had hundreds of different bourbons in their basement and could invite me over to taste them....:grin:

JayMonster
04-17-2012, 18:55
There in lies the truth...YOUR pallet is the only one who should be deciding what is or isn't good bourbon! Arguement over! :D

Was anybody disputing that?

hectic1
04-17-2012, 18:57
Was anybody disputing that?
Not me...were you?:skep:

yountvillewjs
04-17-2012, 18:59
I come here to learn/talk about/enjoy bourbon. I don't drink enough, make enough, nor have the interest in trying everything on the market. I try to parse through the hype, hyperbole and bias to see if there is something about an offering that I might like -- knowing what I tend to enjoy. Do I love all the bourbons I have bought -- no. Did I learn something from all of them -- yep.

I, like many, came to the high end world of bourbon compliments of Mr. Van Winkle. I really honestly enjoy the flavor profile of the 20-year. That said, through further exposure, I have found I prefer higher rye/rye and have gravitated towards purchasing those more frequently.

Did I think Chuck's comment was a little odd -- yes. Out of bounds, not even close. Do I think things have gotten oddly combatitive around here lately? Yes, I do. I hope everyone can stop acting like every post is a campaign promise and just have fun. I come here on my own free time because I want to -- no one here is curing cancer and I like it that way.

White Dog
04-17-2012, 20:12
One thing I'll say for BarrelChar, for a guy with only 70 posts, I'd say most of us have read every one of them.

Jonny.Applebury
04-17-2012, 20:36
One thing I'll say for BarrelChar, for a guy with only 70 posts, I'd say most of us have read every one of them.

He'd have more posts if the Russians hadn't censored certain threads. :shithappens:

On topic - What does the crowd say about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek? :slappin:

Restaurant man
04-17-2012, 21:03

I agree that taking recommendations can be a shortcut (that doesn't always work) but what are you to do when you breeze into a liquor store and see all these bottles staring back at you? Some would ask the salesman "what's good?" Others will look online for a score or a thumbs up. The obvious choice is to start with something that at least on other person recommends. Not everyone buys 50-100 bottles of whiskey a year like the crazies on this board (myself included)
As far as people preferring to be told what to do... I agree with chuck as well. They do! in all things luxury at least. hence the popularity of name brand things (levi's, gucci, nike, louis vitton, etc) people don't normally go out and learn about the quality and craftmanship of jeans before they buy a pair. or who stopped making which jeans when, and which ones come from China etc, they just buy the pair that suits their price and has a good reccomendation or shelf appeal. we can't expect the public to do more than that on all things they buy. People buy crappy coffee all day long at starcrooks. If people knew the quality they were getting for the price i believe most would make other choices. So i think chucks point makes sense and i don't think anything he has said should be considered inflammatory. That is just silly.:lol:

Vosgar
04-17-2012, 21:05
A certain version of OF Birthday Bourbon was described by same as tasting like diaper, many followed suit, I personally found it to be one of the best unique OFBB releases.

Geez Christian, I thought I was the only one who liked the '09 OFBB :grin:

Gary

spinningrecords
04-17-2012, 21:22
Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

That's my philosophy right there. Try stuff as much as possible and when it really hits the spot...fill up the bunker.

AaronWF
04-17-2012, 21:23
It's interesting how an experienced palate can give you renewed appreciation for both high-end and bargain whiskey. Cowdery's remark had to do with the Google search function and how drinkers wanting quick access to informative opinions have easy short cuts at their fingertips. Add the whiskey speculation boom, and a post like his (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-to-buy-now.html) might be a holy grail.

Sure, Cowdery blusters, but that's no reason for BarrelChar to bitch. Those of us who care enough to read these pages find a rich context for bourbon and American whiskey, and that context is a big part of how we enjoy our juice.

And I don't come here for bitchiness. If somebody wants a word with someone else, there's a PM function for that, keep it out of the conversation.

I like this thread, it's a great catch-all for the sprinkles of threads dedicated to one particular comparison at a time, so it's very relevant.

callmeox
04-17-2012, 21:30
He'd have more posts if the Russians hadn't censored certain threads. :shithappens:

On topic - What does the crowd say about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek? :slappin:

If you have a problem with the moderators or the decision to kill certain threads then man up and contact them directly to lodge your protest. Jim and his volunteers are all available via PM.

In the interim, do us all a favor and drop the passive-aggressive Russian schtick. It only adds to the recent surge of negativity.

Jonny.Applebury
04-17-2012, 21:37
If you have a problem with the moderators or the decision to kill certain threads then man up and contact them directly to lodge your protest. Jim and his volunteers are all available via PM.

In the interim, do us all a favor and drop the passive-aggressive Russian schtick. It only adds to the recent surge of negativity.

This message seems like a perfect candidate for PM. I wonder why you opted not to use it.

fishnbowljoe
04-17-2012, 21:51

Just for the record, I'm Irish, not Russian. :thankyousign:

If you have any questions check this link.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17704

Thanks, Joe

Virus_Of_Life
04-17-2012, 21:58
And I am majority German, part youdonwannapissoffanian.

Jonny.Applebury
04-17-2012, 22:02
Just for the record, I'm Irish, not Russian. :thankyousign:

If you have any questions check this link.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17704

Thanks, Joe

No questions. I've read the rules plenty of times in the year I've been a member. I have the right to post humorous (to me, at least) commentary on the moderation of the boards. The mods have the right to remove that content. Any user has the right to challenge my humor. Mods have the right to remove that content, too.

And since no one took the bait to get this thread back on topic, I'll try again. I was serious the first time I asked, and I'm serious this time. What does the crowd think about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek?

BarrelChar
04-17-2012, 22:03
Many of the posts here attempt to validate the notion that "unless you read as much about whiskey as I do, you're taking shortcuts and just want to be told what to do." Reading a "Bourbons to Buy Now" list is not much different than reading a review. It part of the education process. It doesn't make the reader a lemming, and it certainly doesn't justify implying so on an advice-seeking thread entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?" Questioning such comments isn't a a personal attack or breach in decorum.

This debate reminds me of a thread a while back where a guy asked for a list of "Best Dusties." Rather than just help him out and post a link to previous posts, some users viciously attacked him for failing to read every thread and having the audacity to ask such a duplicative question. We were all beginners at one point. There's no reason to dump on newcomers who don't spend hours a day to studying the minutiae. Bourbon is rapidly expanding and we ought to welcome enthusiasts of all kinds, even if they make mistakes with message board rules or only buy a few bottles a year.

Some people love whiskey but aren't going to peruse the threads of Straightbourbon, subscribe to Malt Advocate, join whiskey societies, trade bottles or try everything at the bar. Most people have limited budgets and don't enjoy a constant stream of free samples from the industry. To suggest they "want to be told what to do" displays a kind of attitude that's just not necessary or helpful. Plenty of people read "Car & Driver's Ten Best" list but don't subscribe to the magazine or know how to fix a carburetor. That doesn't make them worthy of derision.

When Sku releases his "whiskeys of the year" list, I read it--not because it's a shortcut--but to help prioritize my purchases using the top picks from somebody with a great palate. Maybe some people will only read that article and none of his other reviews. So what? Is that worse than the guy who just buys Beam Black every time and never reads a word about whiskey, or the guy who's memorized each of the percentages in the ten Four Roses mashbills?

We ought to be happy people are reading these articles, not mocking their methods of information acquisition as insufficient. Also, that original article was about discontinued/soon-to-be-limited whiskeys to start hoarding, so even if you'd already tried Wild Turkey 101, you might be interested in an article like that. That, as much as anything, could help explain the increased traffic.

Oh, and by the way, what bourbon should I purchase today? 2012 Four Roses LE 1B or SB?

hectic1
04-18-2012, 05:59
Is it me or do you just try and argue both sides? Some doesn't have time to do the research yet they don't want to be told what to drink/buy? Pick a side for gods sake or shorten your thoughts as your getting lost in your own argument! Are you by chance in politics? ;)

gblick
04-18-2012, 06:24
Oh, and by the way, what bourbon should I purchase today? 2012 Four Roses LE 1B or SB?Has the 2012 hit the shelves already?

hectic1
04-18-2012, 06:29
Has the 2012 hit the shelves already?

I don't think so Gus...I think they rollout the LE SB around the time of the sampler IIRC!

jcg9779
04-18-2012, 06:36
And since no one took the bait to get this thread back on topic, I'll try again. I was serious the first time I asked, and I'm serious this time. What does the crowd think about Noah's Mill vs. Rowan's Creek?

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Noah's Mill - it always tastes hot to me. It the only bourbon to which I will ALWAYS add ice instead of water. I've tried the 15 year and the NAS...this bourbon just doesn't do it for me.

jcg9779
04-18-2012, 06:39
Has the 2012 hit the shelves already?

I've seen it in Atlanta, Gus. Haven't picked one up yet though.

Jonny.Applebury
04-18-2012, 13:13
I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Noah's Mill - it always tastes hot to me. It the only bourbon to which I will ALWAYS add ice instead of water. I've tried the 15 year and the NAS...this bourbon just doesn't do it for me.

I picked up both and tried them. I didn't get excessive heat from Noah's Mill, but certainly this bottle was over-oaked. Rowan's Creek was...run of the mill. :slappin:

Max Power
04-18-2012, 14:05
I liked Noah's Mill. It was full of oak, but for a 15 year, that should be expected to an extent. I thought it had a really rich aspect to it that almost made it chewy. It was a nice change of pace. I like the 4R ones with a bit more fruit/spice taste, but I thought NM was decent.

jcg9779
04-19-2012, 08:07
I picked up both and tried them. I didn't get excessive heat from Noah's Mill, but certainly this bottle was over-oaked. Rowan's Creek was...run of the mill. :slappin:

I liked Noah's Mill. It was full of oak, but for a 15 year, that should be expected to an extent. I thought it had a really rich aspect to it that almost made it chewy. It was a nice change of pace. I like the 4R ones with a bit more fruit/spice taste, but I thought NM was decent.

My current bottle of NM has been open for quote some time (NAS version) so I'll give this one a try again in the near future. Maybe it will finally hit the spot for me.

p_elliott
04-19-2012, 08:28
I liked both when I first tried them but have tired of them quickly. I can only get them when I go to KY. No more are coming home with me.

DAD3
04-19-2012, 09:27
So, I was on my way to the train last night (Penn Station) and I stopped in the liquor store next to track 16. I noticed they had 2 of the bourbons for sale that are on my list to try.

Elijah Craig 12yo or Buffalo Trace

They are pretty close in price at this store $26 and $30. I have never tried either of these.

Thanks in advance

Dave

(http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=elijah+craig+12&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1614787733777783203&sa=X&ei=ojuQT4zCOaz16AHT7vCyBA&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAQ)

weller_tex
04-19-2012, 09:45
So, I was on my way to the train last night (Penn Station) and I stopped in the liquor store next to track 16. I noticed they had 2 of the bourbons for sale that are on my list to try.

Elijah Craig 12yo or Buffalo Trace

They are pretty close in price at this store $26 and $30. I have never tried either of these.

Thanks in advance

Dave

(http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=elijah+craig+12&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1614787733777783203&sa=X&ei=ojuQT4zCOaz16AHT7vCyBA&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAQ)

I like both of these, although I like EC12 better.

EC12, in my view, is fairly sweet but not cloying. I get cherries and raisins It almost has a liqueur quality to it. Standard BT is a much younger whiskey but is pretty good. It has a bit of a smoky, charred taste and I get a coconut/banana note.

BarrelChar
04-19-2012, 11:05
EC 12 by a country mile. It's a well-integrated mix of sweet vanilla, dried fruit and oak; a solid value that tastes good from the first pour and gets better over time.

Buffalo Trace is one-dimensional, sour and decidedly bottom-shelf for something aged around 9 years. It gets even worse after the bottle has been opened for a while.

Brisko
04-19-2012, 11:17
I'll be the odd man here and say BT but only by a nose. EC12 is a little to hit or miss, for me, and I only buy it when it's on sale. That said, I don't keep BT on hand, either, but the one bottle I had, I really liked.

I think as a general rule I prefer the profile of EC12, though. So I'm going to disagree with myself:rolleyes: and recommend EC12.

Max Power
04-19-2012, 12:03
I like ECs more than the BT. At close tp the same price, go with EC12.

hectic1
04-19-2012, 12:35
I think both of them are sorta hit and miss...EC12 can be metallic and have a hay like quality at times where BT can be grassy...neither of which I prefer. I would go ETL if I had to pick something in the $20-$30 range. ;)

DAD3
04-20-2012, 07:27
Thanks for all the info. I will stop on my way home tonight and pick up the EC12. Buffalo Trace is available at my local store. I'll try that some other time.

Had a buddy of mine shoot me a text earlier. Left me a present in my garage, as a "thank you" for helping him out, maybe its Buffalo Trace.....lol

Have a Great Weekend !!!!!

Dave

onewman
04-20-2012, 21:54
What do I need to fill out my collection? If interested in providing me with input ,I'll send you what I have and you can send me what I need. Please keep in mind that I live in Florida and while I can find the occasional gem, it is a rarity. Any takers?

Flyfish
04-21-2012, 14:38
I think both of them are sorta hit and miss...EC12 can be metallic and have a hay like quality at times where BT can be grassy...neither of which I prefer. I would go ETL if I had to pick something in the $20-$30 range. ;)
ETL is always a solid recommendation. Good choice on your part. Even if we can never really know which barrel the single barrel came from.

c2walker
04-24-2012, 12:01
I was discussing PHC 1st ed. with another SB member recently and it reignited my desire to locate a bottle. After many hours of calling every store within 30 miles of every close friend I have, I found a bottle of the 63.7% 1st edition PHC...for $140. This shop appears to only raise prices on older vintages. The current BTAC and PHC they have are $80. Slightly older bottlings are a bit inflated (PHC 27 and Ritt 25 are $225). Obviously this 1st edition is 75% over original retail price.

My question for y'all: is it $140 good? I hate paying over MSRP, but I'm considering getting this one.

BarrelChar
04-24-2012, 12:36
I found a bottle of the 63.7% 1st edition PHC...for $140.

Is it worth $140? Sadly, yes.

Obviously that's an absurd retail price--so high you'd hate to reward that kind of extortionist retailer behavior. But the PHC 1st Ed. is so spectacular, complex and rare, that I'd cave, buy it, and grumble bitterly on the ride home. I've got half a bottle left and wish I had more but it's long gone and almost never comes up for auction.

See if you can push the owner to a slightly less ridiculous $120. That'll practically make it a "bargain."

Every member of LAWS gave it an "A" and rightfully so. http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/whiskey-profile/633/Parkers-Heritage-Collection-First-Edition

Rockefeller
04-24-2012, 13:20
I hate paying over MSRP, but I'm considering getting this one.

Ahhh the dreaded markup dilemma. Whenever I'm faced with this question I remind myself that some bar out there is going to charge me $25-30 per dram if they have it ... with my other option being a $6 Coors Light + tip.

Let's face it, you're going to buy that bottle because you're probably never going to find it again and will regret it forever if you don't. And you're going to pay for it with the money you save this summer from NOT buying $8 hotdogs at the baseball park.

Lazer
04-24-2012, 14:23
I was discussing PHC 1st ed. with another SB member recently and it reignited my desire to locate a bottle. After many hours of calling every store within 30 miles of every close friend I have, I found a bottle of the 63.7% 1st edition PHC...for $140. This shop appears to only raise prices on older vintages. The current BTAC and PHC they have are $80. Slightly older bottlings are a bit inflated (PHC 27 and Ritt 25 are $225). Obviously this 1st edition is 75% over original retail price.

My question for y'all: is it $140 good? I hate paying over MSRP, but I'm considering getting this one.

You have to do more research, there were 3 expressions of that one, they all had different abv #'s, and I don't remember what they were. Check the whisky advocate website. If that's the first or second, I would go for it. the third one was the one to pass on. I had the third one. For $80 I would get another 2010 wheater, or wait for the 2012 edition to come out in the fall. My local store still has the third expression of the first edition on the shelf for $80 and I'm not running out to get it. But now that you mention it....

Update: I checked for you, you've got the second expression there, so I would pull the trigger.

c2walker
04-24-2012, 17:23
Ahhh the dreaded markup dilemma. Whenever I'm faced with this question I remind myself that some bar out there is going to charge me $25-30 per dram if they have it ... with my other option being a $6 Coors Light + tip.

Let's face it, you're going to buy that bottle because you're probably never going to find it again and will regret it forever if you don't. And you're going to pay for it with the money you save this summer from NOT buying $8 hotdogs at the baseball park.

You're right. I'm going to get it and, as BarrelChar said, grumble bitterly on the ride home. I've seen it before at a liquor store with a $600 price tag (ridiculous, right?) and at two bars for around $20 a ounce...and both of those prices make $140 seem reasonable. I'll simply deduct $140 from my gambling budget for an upcoming trip to Atlantic City and, when I lose, I'll still be a winner when I come home to that bottle of PHC.

You have to do more research, there were 3 expressions of that one, they all had different abv #'s, and I don't remember what they were. Check the whisky advocate website. If that's the first or second, I would go for it. the third one was the one to pass on. I had the third one. For $80 I would get another 2010 wheater, or wait for the 2012 edition to come out in the fall. My local store still has the third expression of the first edition on the shelf for $80 and I'm not running out to get it. But now that you mention it....

Update: I checked for you, you've got the second expression there, so I would pull the trigger.

One thing you can always assume when reading my posts is that I did my research! At work and home, research is how I spend the majority of my day. The fact that the 63.7% is almost universally acclaimed is the main reason I didn't completely dismiss purchasing it.

hectic1
04-24-2012, 17:51

Update: I checked for you, you've got the second expression there, so I would pull the trigger. The three bottles are 122.6, 127.4, and 129.6. :)

Rockefeller
04-25-2012, 15:02
Another classic battle. Should I buy:

JPS 17yr at $90
or
JPS 18yr at $70

Also, why is the 17 more expensive?

BMartin42
04-25-2012, 16:12
Another classic battle. Should I buy:

JPS 17yr at $90
or
JPS 18yr at $70

Also, why is the 17 more expensive?

I think the 17 is more expensive because it is all gone except the few bottles on shelves here and there. My opinion was that I absolutely loved the 17, but my bottle of 18 has been open for 7 or 8 months and hardly even gets a sideways glance. Gonna try to put some in a decanter to see if it will open up because I still just get potting soil on the nose and finish.

jeanraulmitchell
04-25-2012, 16:33
I think the 17 is more expensive because it is all gone except the few bottles on shelves here and there. My opinion was that I absolutely loved the 17, but my bottle of 18 has been open for 7 or 8 months and hardly even gets a sideways glance. Gonna try to put some in a decanter to see if it will open up because I still just get potting soil on the nose and finish.

I got "potting soil" when I first opened my bottle too, batch 4. I first described it as musty trailer instead of "ps" but after a month it did open. However, it just doesn't have enough going on for me to desire it when I'm deciding what to grab. I think they tried to get too much out of the little they had and put way too much water in it. Now, if the bottling was cask strength I would probably be flipping out over it but instead I will probably be pouring it for my friends who are just trying bourbon, it's light and sweet and cute.

I'd go for the 17.

Clavius
04-25-2012, 16:36
I came across some Very Special Old Fitz for $30.99. There were 6 bottles of it. Is this stuff worth buying? Or am I better off just buying some more Weller 12?

White Dog
04-26-2012, 08:01
I came across some Very Special Old Fitz for $30.99. There were 6 bottles of it. Is this stuff worth buying? Or am I better off just buying some more Weller 12?

Weller 12 all the way. Current VSOF is just okay, IMHO.

jcg9779
04-26-2012, 10:15

I think the current VSOF is ok also. Not bad, but nothing to write home about (and probably over priced at $30.99). It's just an alright wheater - not nearly as good as the Weller line, IMO.

mosugoji64
04-26-2012, 11:12
I think the current VSOF is ok also. Not bad, but nothing to write home about (and probably over priced at $30.99). It's just an alright wheater - not nearly as good as the Weller line, IMO.

I have a bottle of VSOF that has opened up nicely, but I don't think there's anything about it that would lead me to pick it as a wheater in a blind tasting. Definitely different from the others out there. Try to sample it somewhere before you buy.

jcg9779
04-26-2012, 13:11
I have a bottle of VSOF that has opened up nicely, but I don't think there's anything about it that would lead me to pick it as a wheater in a blind tasting. Definitely different from the others out there. Try to sample it somewhere before you buy.

I actually haven't had a pour of this in a long time...it might be time to revisit.

Rockefeller
04-30-2012, 06:35
Found a place with PH Golden Anniversary at $190.

Should I buy one bottle OR two bottles?

Brisko
04-30-2012, 07:08

If you have the means, buy two. If you end up not liking it (which seems unlikely, but still...) you can always unload the second one.

Jwilly019
04-30-2012, 11:08

The price seems a little high, I've seen (and passed on) multiple bottles at $150. Then again, that might just be the going rate in NYC.

p_elliott
05-01-2012, 08:33

No that is over priced you can get it cheaper I paid $135 for mine

Rockefeller
05-01-2012, 08:55
No that is over priced you can get it cheaper I paid $135 for mine

Did you buy yours recently or when it was released two years ago?

jcg9779
05-01-2012, 08:58
Did you buy yours recently or when it was released two years ago?

I bought one about six months ago for $135ish.

Brisko
05-01-2012, 09:07
I haven't seen any at that price but if they're still out there I would amend my recommendation.

Trey Manthey
05-01-2012, 09:32
Speaking of PHC...

Celebrating some good news, so I thought I might pick up a bottle I wouldn't normally buy. I haven't tried either of these, but I've enjoyed PHC Wheated edition, as well as PWV20.

PHC 27 - $140
PVW23 - $225
Vintage 17 + PHC Congnac - $145

Trey

Max Power
05-01-2012, 10:18
Speaking of PHC...

Celebrating some good news, so I thought I might pick up a bottle I wouldn't normally buy. I haven't tried either of these, but I've enjoyed PHC Wheated edition, as well as PWV20.

PHC 27 - $140
PVW23 - $225

Trey

PHC 27 is what I would do.

jcg9779
05-01-2012, 10:19
Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140
PVW23 - $225

Trey

If it were me, I'd get the PHC 27 at that price. I never saw it anywhere for less than $180, and typically it was ~$200. The only PHC edition that I didn't buy.

Ejmharris
05-01-2012, 13:18
Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140
PVW23 - $225

Trey

I would do the Vintage 17 and Congac. Both very nice bourbons but quite different. The PHC 27 is a fantastic price. Lowest I have seen is $199. I think think the two for same price is ye best option.

angler82
05-01-2012, 13:22
PHC 27 is the better value, V17 and PHC Cognac is what I'd rather drink.

AaronWF
05-01-2012, 13:55
AFAIC, the Vintage 17 is not celebration worthy. I'd go with the PHC 27.

BMartin42
05-01-2012, 14:08
The vintage 17 is good, but not in league with the others. Your prices are fantastic! 25-35% less than what I can do. I'd buy them ALL at those prices and skip a round of golf this month!

Jwilly019
05-01-2012, 16:19
Speaking of PHC...

PHC 27 - $140
PVW23 - $225

Trey

I haven't had any of the above, but that is a fantastic price on the PHC 27.

jeanraulmitchell
05-01-2012, 17:20
I bought this WT today and there are about 6 more at this shop. Should I get the others for $25 each? I think it's from 1984. I'm not a WT fan but maybe I could trade them.
What do you think?

There are a few other dusties too but they are behind plexi and the guy isn't about to let me in.

ThomasH
05-01-2012, 18:17
This weekend, while in Ky. for the sampler/gazebo/cookout, I bought some Early Times 354 bourbon to compare to a 1980 bottle of same that I have. Also bought a bottle of E.H. Taylor tornado bourbon!

Thomas

Kalessin
05-01-2012, 20:25
I bought this WT today and there are about 6 more at this shop. Should I get the others for $25 each? I think it's from 1984. I'm not a WT fan but maybe I could trade them.
What do you think?

There are a few other dusties too but they are behind plexi and the guy isn't about to let me in.

I'm actually looking for a bottle or two, for sentimental reasons (and the bourbon is drinkable too), but LA is kinda far away...

Trey Manthey
05-01-2012, 21:07
PHC 27 is what I would do.

The 27 it is! Going to wait for the weekend to crack it.

BrewerMatty
05-02-2012, 11:40
Pappy Van 15 Year - Last bottle at Surdyks in Minneapolis!

luther.r
05-02-2012, 11:44
Pappy Van 15 Year - Last bottle at Surdyks in Minneapolis!

I'd say buy it! :lol:

atfree
05-03-2012, 12:53
Should I buy the 2009, 2010, or 2011 Sazerac 18 for $99?

Or are any of them worth it? I've read a lot lately on how the flavor tapers off rapidly.

Tico
05-03-2012, 13:05

Or are any of them worth it? I've read a lot lately on how the flavor tapers off rapidly.

$99 is a bit high so I would go with the oldest...2009

AaronWF
05-03-2012, 13:08

I would say yes. I haven't had the '09, but the '10 and '11 are gorgeous. I might give the 2011 the edge.

They do tend to taper off rather quickly, but we're talking months, not weeks. Drink it over 6 weeks or so, and it should sing the entire time.

I wrote a review of the 2011 if you're interested - you can find it through my blog link below.

sob0728
05-15-2012, 07:50
Bernheim Wheat for $27.99, Dickel Barrel Select for $32.99, Rowan's Creek for $38.99 or Rock Hill Farms for $39.99?

AaronWF
05-15-2012, 09:06
Bernheim Wheat for $27.99, Dickel Barrel Select for $32.99, Rowan's Creek for $38.99 or Rock Hill Farms for $39.99?

I'd go with RHF, though I've never had it (just about the only BT bourbon I have yet to taste).

BMartin42
05-15-2012, 09:57
I'd also go with RHF because it's the only one if those I like at all, and that is about $7-8 cheaper than it is locally.

Kyjd75
05-15-2012, 10:35

RHF for sure. That is an excellent price, and it is a fine bourbon. I've had a bottle before and plan to get another soon. No brainer at that price.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?djzoi0

Young Blacksmith
05-21-2012, 18:03
WR on sale for $30
Blanton's from '07 for $52
OWA 7/107 (handle) from '00 for $40
THH for $65
EWSB '94/'95 $28
WTKS '02 for $40

Which ONE would you pick and why?

ebo
05-21-2012, 18:10
WTKS.... because I've only ever had one pour of it. Ohio sucks.:smiley_acbt:

callmeox
05-21-2012, 18:25

I've not paid much attention to the Ohio list lately, but when did WTKS drop off?

smokinjoe
05-21-2012, 18:28
WR on sale for $30
THH for $65
EWSB '94/'95 $28
WTKS '02 for $40

I'd pick up all of the 94 EWSB's possible. IMO, the best release from the Vintage Dated series. Fabulous whiskey.

Tico
05-21-2012, 20:17
WR on sale for $30
THH for $65
EWSB '94/'95 $28
WTKS '02 for $40

Is the 00 OWA Louisville?

If so that would be my pick.

Young Blacksmith
05-22-2012, 05:20
nope, Frankfort. Probably still good, but I'm more of a rye lover than a wheat fan.

unclebunk
05-22-2012, 06:27

That really is a bummer. Are you able to find things over the border in Pennsylvania that are unavailable in Ohio or is that a dead end as well?

sob0728
05-31-2012, 11:13
WT American Spirit $79.99 or WT Tradition $99.99?

awachatz
05-31-2012, 16:23
WT American Spirit $79.99 or WT Tradition $99.99?

WTAS at $79.99

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ebo
06-01-2012, 11:35
I don't know that WTKS is off the list in Ohio, but I sure can't find it. There seems to be a lot of stuff on the Ohio list that is nowhere to be found... at least in my area (Stark Co.)

Rockefeller
03-07-2013, 19:17
Had the choice between High West 21yr Rye and a Willett single barrel ... I bought both. Next choice will be between WhistlePig Triple One or that upcoming JPS21.

LostBottle
03-08-2013, 10:37
Rockefeller, you may want to try the WP111 before you buy. While I have yet to taste it, another rye-loving SB member whose palate I really trust, found it not to his liking. This surprised me because that guy really loves his rye.

squire
03-08-2013, 10:40
I would put Grand Dad 114 on the shopping list, just in case the next ax falls in that direction.

Wryguy
03-08-2013, 11:07
I second LostBottle on WP111 being a distinct pass. No considerable difference from the WP10/100, at a big hike in price. Try before buy IMO.