PDA

View Full Version : BourboN00b from Seattle

ChainWhip
04-24-2012, 22:14
Howdy y'all-

I'm from Seattle and even though I'm mostly a Scotch drinker (prefer Islays), I am learning to enjoy Bourbon as well thanks to the efforts of Washington distilleries like Woodinville Whiskey Co.

I've enjoyed everything from Very Old Barton (100) to Weller 12 to Jefferson's Presidential 18, etc.,

There have been an equal number that don't appeal to me thus far but that's to be expected - looking forward to lurking/reading/learning/occasionally posting here.

Edit:
Can anybody point me to a secret decoder ring for all the acronyms? I'm guessing PVW = Pappy Van Winkle & SB = Single Barrel and while I think I'll pick up the code soon, it'd be nice for us newbies to have something to reference.

ChainWhip
04-24-2012, 22:38
Dbl posted
Deleted contents

Young Blacksmith
04-25-2012, 11:06
Welcome ChainWhip,

Take a gander at the top of the New to Straightbourbon forum, a frequently used acronyms and abbreviations post. I used to have it open at all times when surfing this board, and you pick it up pretty quick.

ChainWhip
04-25-2012, 13:52
Thx - got it bookmarked now! The only thing better than talking about whisk(e)y is drinking whisk(e)y. ;-)

Tony
04-25-2012, 15:17
Good day and welcome from over in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

LostBottle
04-26-2012, 14:14
Welcome to SB, good to have another local member! Nothing wrong with liking Islays, I have an affinity for them and rye. Speaking of which, don't skip the rye world - it seems many Islay drinkers find rye whiskey very much to their liking.

ChainWhip
04-26-2012, 19:58
Thx Tony & LB-

Which Rye's do you recommend? I tried the WhistlePig and while it was a well crafted spirit, it wasn't up my alley.

Perhaps I should try drinking Rye in a manner other than neat w/wo water?

Clavius
04-26-2012, 19:58
Welcome! I LOVE the Islay's as well!

LostBottle
04-26-2012, 20:57
Thx Tony & LB-

Which Rye's do you recommend? I tried the WhistlePig and while it was a well crafted spirit, it wasn't up my alley.

Perhaps I should try drinking Rye in a manner other than neat w/wo water?

WhistlePig and it's 100% rye mashbill is probably not a good primer to rye whiskey. While being very good, it is also very different than what most people are used to. I might equate it to introducing someone to Scotch with Laphroaig, it is probably something you need to work your way up to. Start off with something closer to a 'legal rye', I would recommend working your way through a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 BIB and Wild Turkey 101.

CaptainQ
04-26-2012, 21:28
Welcome to SB CW.:grin:

Good group of guys in the Seattle area that get together once in a while to enjoy some libations. Glad you found us. Enjoy this site, as the information here is priceless.

Cheers,
Dave

ChainWhip
04-26-2012, 22:05
Thx Clavius & CaptainQ for the welcome & to LB for the recommendations.

I've learned lots already and this site has been a great resource indeed - hope to put names to faces one day!

ChainWhip
04-27-2012, 00:53
Rittenhouse Rye BIB only appear to be out in the distant stores on the LIQ.wa.gov site - I'll hit up Clearview to see if they can order me one.

Maybe I'll head over to Woodinville and pick up one of their new Ryes.