PDA

View Full Version : I am a bad friend

PappySnob
05-09-2012, 16:24
First let me start by saying I do not own a bar or plan on making money of this prank

I have a friend who is a pappy snob
he wont drink ANY spirits other than pappy.
he buys bottles of pappy on eBay for 2-300 a bottle.

This is the same guy who wont smoke anything other than Cuban cigars.
even a premium opus X is not good enough

I just got an empty bottle of pappy 20 and want to fill it with something else and tell him its pappy VW 20.
he drinks enough to know the diff between jack daniels and Pappy but i think he is full of it when he says he can even taste the diff between pappy 10 & 12.

what has a similar flavor profile to pappy 20, that is readily available that i can fill my bottle with and test it out on my snob friend. I want to shut him up once and for all.

I drink beer (when i drink) so i come to you guys for ideas

Thanks & try not to hate

CorvallisCracker
05-09-2012, 16:40
Vintage 17 (http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/vintage_line.php) (the bourbon, not the rye)(duh!)

Not exactly common, but on the other hand, doesn't disappear three nanoseconds after hitting the shelf. $50-70 depending where you live.

dridge11
05-09-2012, 16:47
Try him out on the old SB blend, mix half and half Old Weller Antique 107 and WL Weller 12. Suggesting this as an option since Vintage 17 is already taken.

Josh
05-09-2012, 18:11
Fill it with rebel yell. Then he'll REALLY be embarassed when he can't tell the difference!

clingman71
05-09-2012, 18:13
SB blend, but instead of 50/50, maybe 70/30 W12 to OWA to get more wood influence.

StraightBoston
05-09-2012, 18:20
Throw a curveball: Elijah Craig 18yo. All the wood and none of the wheat!

White Dog
05-09-2012, 18:30
Skol vodka and caramel coloring.

Restaurant man
05-09-2012, 20:17
You MUST tell us how this works out please.

SMOWK
05-09-2012, 20:23
When reading this, I got the weird feeling that this guy was going to try to refill Pappy bottles with mentioned likenesses and resell them on eBay.

macdeffe
05-09-2012, 22:45
I think the 10 and 12 are VERY different

But they aren't pappies, "just" van winkle.

The one I would choosr woild be Jefferson reserve for the prank

Steffen

Bmac
05-10-2012, 06:06
I'd skip on Vintage Bourbon 17 and Jefferson's Presidential Select. These arent easy to come by and they certainly arent cheap.

Go with the W.L. Weller 12 heavy and Old Weller Antique mix. You'd only invest about 40-ish bux.

The concept is that the Weller mashbill is exaxtly the same as "pappy.". The difference is age and location and a few other obscure details.

sutton
05-10-2012, 06:24
When reading this, I got the weird feeling that this guy was going to try to refill Pappy bottles with mentioned likenesses and resell them on eBay.

Although I hate being suspicious, this was my first thought as well.

How do you just happen across an empty bottle of PVW 20? Fakes are big money in the wine auction market - Rudy Kurniawan is about to dance with the FBI over this ... Hardy Rodenstock is another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/nyregion/rudy-kurniawan-wine-dealer-accused-of-fraud-was-trusted-by-his-associates.html

Bourbon fakes can't be far behind ...

PappySnob
05-10-2012, 08:03
I got the empty from his wife ;)

PappySnob
05-10-2012, 08:11
When mixing the Weller 12 with Weller 107 do I shake it up or use a spoon ?

clingman71
05-10-2012, 08:16
My preferred method is to pour both into the bottle, hand it to a buxom woman, then have her jump up and down while holding the bottle. Win/win.

Tico
05-10-2012, 09:21
When mixing the Weller 12 with Weller 107 do I shake it up or use a spoon ?
put it in a blender

PappySnob
05-10-2012, 10:13
Although I hate being suspicious, this was my first thought as well.

How do you just happen across an empty bottle of PVW 20? Fakes are big money in the wine auction market - Rudy Kurniawan is about to dance with the FBI over this ... Hardy Rodenstock is another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/nyregion/rudy-kurniawan-wine-dealer-accused-of-fraud-was-trusted-by-his-associates.html

Bourbon fakes can't be far behind ...

I actually live around the corner from wine hotel
I always wondered why people would store wine there and how they stayed in biz just from storage fees.

Rule of thumb for eBay : buy the seller, if it does not smell KOSHER..... walk away.

I may be a low life trying to make an a$$ out of my friend, but im no thief. :shithappens:

sutton
05-10-2012, 14:19
I may be a low life trying to make an a$$ out of my friend, but im no thief. :shithappens:

Good to know - if you really want to embarrass him, I like the idea of using a rye-based bourbon better. Go find a piece of white oak, toast it a bit on the grill, then stick it in a bottle of EC12 for a couple of weeks.

pepcycle
05-11-2012, 11:38
If there's one thing I learned at the Bourbon Taster of the Year, its that most people can't tell their favorite whiskey when its served blindly.

It was also the most common comment from particpants who panned their favorite and loved a lower priced or more available bourbon.

I suggest Ancient Ancient Age or even Maker's Mark.

smokinjoe
05-11-2012, 11:49
If there's one thing I learned at the Bourbon Taster of the Year, its that most people can't tell their favorite whiskey when its served blindly.

It was also the most common comment from particpants who panned their favorite and loved a lower priced or more available bourbon.

I suggest Ancient Ancient Age or even Maker's Mark.

Exactly. Wasn't there a contestant in the competition one year who identified GTS as MM, or MM as GTS? :bigeyes:

WhiskyToWhiskey
05-12-2012, 16:53
I was thinking Maker's Mark mixed with Elijah Craig 12 or Eagle Rare 10. Need some woody notes to mask any slightly grassy notes from the MM wheat not aged as much. Might actually work out pretty good, and you would have 2 very different 1/2 bottles for your cabinet.