PDA

View Full Version : New Colonel E.H. Taylor

tommyj1986
05-10-2012, 13:40
The following caught my eye in Shanken News Daily today.

Sazerac Co. is set to launch Colonel E. H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon, an uncut, unfiltered rye-recipe Bourbon thatís at 134.5-proof and is aged seven years. Rolling out in June, itís the fourth product in the E. H. Taylor Jr. Bourbon Collection, joining Old Fashioned Sour Mash Bourbon, Single Barrel Bourbon and Warehouse C. Tornado Surviving Bourbon. Like the previous three releases, Barrel Proof Bourbon will have limited availability and will be packaged in a vintage label and canister. Suggested retail price is $69.99 a 750-ml.

Trey Manthey
05-10-2012, 13:56
Nice...I wonder if they will ever have a regular release of this, or if will continue to be these limited edition releases.

Tico
05-10-2012, 14:01
color me excited for a barrel proof rye

c2walker
05-10-2012, 14:01
The following caught my eye in Shanken News Daily today.

Sazerac Co. is set to launch Colonel E. H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon, an uncut, unfiltered rye-recipe Bourbon thatís at 134.5-proof and is aged seven years. Rolling out in June, itís the fourth product in the E. H. Taylor Jr. Bourbon Collection, joining Old Fashioned Sour Mash Bourbon, Single Barrel Bourbon and Warehouse C. Tornado Surviving Bourbon. Like the previous three releases, Barrel Proof Bourbon will have limited availability and will be packaged in a vintage label and canister. Suggested retail price is $69.99 a 750-ml.

I guess that would be this one (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=10117001000094). I'm kind of disappointed it's only going to be 7 years old. I suppose it's essentially barrel proof Buffalo Trace, which is something I'd like to try, but not for nearly 4 times the price of regular Buffalo Trace.

c2walker
05-10-2012, 14:04
color me excited for a barrel proof rye

Not saying that a barrel proof rye won't happen, but the label that's already approved is for a BIB rye.

wadewood
05-10-2012, 14:09
I have tried this and trust me it is good. I will be buying several.

clingman71
05-10-2012, 16:27
So its like paying the same amount as Stagg for half the age?

Tucker
05-10-2012, 16:29
So its like paying the same amount as Stagg for half the age?

I think you've come to the right conclusion. Except with Stagg you don't get the fancy tube.

jburlowski
05-10-2012, 17:35
I have tried this and trust me it is good. I will be buying several.

I agree with Wade... having tried it; I'll be buying it.

Halifax
05-10-2012, 18:42
I agree with Wade... having tried it; I'll be buying it.

What they said...:grin:

bad_scientist
05-10-2012, 19:00
I guess that would be this one (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=10117001000094). I'm kind of disappointed it's only going to be 7 years old. I suppose it's essentially barrel proof Buffalo Trace, which is something I'd like to try, but not for nearly 4 times the price of regular Buffalo Trace.

Next time you're at Jack Rose, try the Willett Matinee and French Connection. The Matinee is almost certainly BT. I can't tell about the French Connection but I believe it to be.

Josh
05-10-2012, 19:43
I'm sorry, but screw this. 7 y/o for $70? Really? It's basically a bourbon version of Handy which is already the worst bargain in American whiskey. I would much rather get a couple bottles of a good retailer bottling of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare than this.

"The rye recipe version of Van Winkle", my pale white ass! If anyone's keeping score, I'm back in the BT haters club.

wadewood
05-10-2012, 19:55
I'm sorry, but screw this.

I love you! Thanks for putting this all in perspective!

Still, I've tasted it and the proof is in the pudding. I'm a buyer.

Josh
05-10-2012, 20:00
I love you! Thanks for all in perspective!

You know I love you too, Wade. I may have been a bit tipsy when that mini-rant was posted. Still, 7 years old seems a little on the young side. Doesn't inspire confidence in me for the future of the this line. Of course, this is all without having tasted the stuff.

Restaurant man
05-10-2012, 22:02
I'm sorry, but screw this. 7 y/o for $70? Really? It's basically a bourbon version of Handy which is already the worst bargain in American whiskey. I would much rather get a couple bottles of a good retailer bottling of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare than this.

"The rye recipe version of Van Winkle", my pale white ass! If anyone's keeping score, I'm back in the BT haters club.

Any post that can be quoted "my pale white ass" has my interest. So much for honoring the "Bottled in bond" guy with a barrel strength release. We shall see. so far in my opinion they have had 2 hits with one miss. And the two hits have been overpriced by 8 bucks a bottle

CaptainQ
05-10-2012, 23:01
You know I love you too, Wade. I may have been a bit tipsy when that mini-rant was posted. Still, 7 years old seems a little on the young side. Doesn't inspire confidence in me for the future of the this line. Of course, this is all without having tasted the stuff.

Josh, you must have missed the current BT memo,

" if it tastes good, sell it".

sutton
05-11-2012, 04:42
I confess to being a bit confused by the branding here. When it appeared that they were going to try to replicate the original sour mash recipe, this made sense and was intriguing since it was attempting to re-produce a bit of bourbon history.

Then there was a single barrel that was just the rye-recipe bourbon, perhaps some very good barrels hand-selected, but something different from the original.

Then the "tornado" release - seemed a bit of a gimic; not sure how it related to the Colonel's legacy.

Now this .... other than using his name, exactly what is this brand supposed to be? Just any very-good to great barrels they happen to come across that don't fit neatly into any of the other brands?

Brisko
05-11-2012, 05:32
Sounds exactly like that, Sutton. A place to dump their really good stuff that doesn't hit their other profiles, while at the same time raising their visibility.

The pricing is ridiculous, though. Sounds like they won't have any trouble selling it, though.

clingman71
05-11-2012, 05:39
Sounds exactly like that, Sutton. A place to dump their really good stuff that doesn't hit their other profiles, while at the same time raising their visibility.

The pricing is ridiculous, though. Sounds like they won't have any trouble selling it, though.

Ridiculous yes. It seems as though it should be in the $40-50 range between BT/ER and the BTAC.

Brisko
05-11-2012, 06:02
Ridiculous yes. It seems as though it should be in the $40-50 range between BT/ER and the BTAC.

Well, Booker's is probably the closest analog to this particular release and it's right in that $40-50 price range. And I always though Beam was a few bucks overpriced for the most part. :rolleyes:

I said pretty much the same thing about the Tornado. $70 for a 10 year old BiB? A lot of people responded, "But it's really, really good." Well, okay, but that's a departure from the way bourbon has been priced in the past, thank goodness. Otherwise we'd be paying $50 for VOB, Dickel, and OWA.

On a different point, the "rye-recipe Van Winkle" notion is pure BS as far as I can see. The Van Winkles, love them or hate them, have developed a solid brand based on excellent product, consistent profiles, and brilliant marketing. The EHT releases, while good, don't do anything to build a coherent brand. And even the Van Winkles won't price a 10 year old bourbon over $40:rolleyes:.

Young Blacksmith
05-11-2012, 06:29
What makes this rye-recipe bourbon so special? They produce rye-recipe bourbon all the time for their other products. I enjoyed the Sour Mash quite a bit, but after the Single Barrel I decided to not purchase another, even after the rave reviews on the Tornado.

I guess I've already made up my mind, and prefer chasing 4R products. My thoughts about bourbon are changing, and I'm narrowing down to a few products to focus on, stock at the house, and leave chasing the rest behind.

clingman71
05-11-2012, 07:45
Well, Booker's is probably the closest analog to this particular release and it's right in that $40-50 price range. And I always though Beam was a few bucks overpriced for the most part. :rolleyes:

I said pretty much the same thing about the Tornado. $70 for a 10 year old BiB? A lot of people responded, "But it's really, really good." Well, okay, but that's a departure from the way bourbon has been priced in the past, thank goodness. Otherwise we'd be paying $50 for VOB, Dickel, and OWA.

On a different point, the "rye-recipe Van Winkle" notion is pure BS as far as I can see. The Van Winkles, love them or hate them, have developed a solid brand based on excellent product, consistent profiles, and brilliant marketing. The EHT releases, while good, don't do anything to build a coherent brand. And even the Van Winkles won't price a 10 year old bourbon over $40:rolleyes:.

The Van Winkles may not price their 10y/o over $40, but plenty of retailers have. A few weeks ago I complained about $65 for 10/107 at CnB. Next time at CnB it was $59.99, wow!what a deal!

sku
05-11-2012, 07:59
I've actually never tasted anything from the EH Taylor series, but I tend to think that anytime a new barrel strength bourbon comes out, it's a good thing. There just aren't that many of them, particularly from the distilleries (as opposed to, say, Willetts, which offers a lot of them).

AaronWF
05-11-2012, 08:18
The CEHT line is a tool for BT to use to raise prices on bourbon across the board; considering it their rye-recipe equivalent to the VW line gives them away. It seems pretty clear to me that their priority with the brand has been to create a slot in their portfolio that is expensive. The bourbon has come after the price and branding.

I think I'd be less accusatory if they hadn't released the Single Barrel as part of the line: my bottle was so empty of charm.

I appreciate that the line is BiB, but I see bourbon prices all going up before the juice used in the brand becomes deserving of what $70 can buy you today.

That said, I'll still spring for the next release. At least a bottle.

Brisko
05-11-2012, 08:22
I've actually never tasted anything from the EH Taylor series, but I tend to think that anytime a new barrel strength bourbon comes out, it's a good thing. There just aren't that many of them, particularly from the distilleries (as opposed to, say, Willetts, which offers a lot of them).
Speaking of Willetts, I note merely for comparison that TPS has a 7 year old, barrel proof (presumably) Willett for $44.99.

/yes I am a cheap bastard, why do you ask?

Brisko
05-11-2012, 08:35
The CEHT line is a tool for BT to use to raise prices on bourbon across the board; considering it their rye-recipe equivalent to the VW line gives them away.

I wonder if it's more an attempt to decouple pricing from the factors of proof/age/relative scarcity and instead base it on perceived value?

Because that's the only way the EHT pricing makes any sense in comparison to the BTAC.

Trey Manthey
05-11-2012, 08:41
The CEHT line is a tool for BT to use to raise prices on bourbon across the board; considering it their rye-recipe equivalent to the VW line gives them away. It seems pretty clear to me that their priority with the brand has been to create a slot in their portfolio that is expensive. The bourbon has come after the price and branding.

I think I am OK with this. I'll still complain about the premium price with everyone else, but I think BT is doing the same thing I would do in their situation.

As their company's product is becoming more in demand, rather than just raising prices on the existing labels, BT is offering a new, high-end brand experience. I am assuming if CEHT bottles are going to be a regular release, BT will have to start aging certain earmarked barrels in a certain way, and in a certain timeline. As any smart business would, they've mitigated risk in their initial offerings, and are testing the market with products that don't require a huge up front investment. Time will tell if their subsequent releases meet the high standards that Pappy/BTAC have set in the marketplace.

Josh
05-11-2012, 09:06
Now that the boubon haze has lifted, what concerns me the most about this is that every release seems to be getting younger. Col. Taylor will be 4 y/o by 2014 at this rate. Age isn't everything, of course, and I believe people who've tasted it when they say it's good, but at those prices I expect something older. Even the best 7 y/o isn't going to have the complexity of a run of the mill 12 y/o.

AaronWF
05-11-2012, 09:30
I wonder if it's more an attempt to decouple pricing from the factors of proof/age/relative scarcity and instead base it on perceived value?

Because that's the only way the EHT pricing makes any sense in comparison to the BTAC.

rather than just raising prices on the existing labels, BT is offering a new, high-end brand experience.

I think Trey's got it with the new brand angle. BT will ultimately get much less slack for introducing a new brand at an elevated price than they would by dramatically increasing the prices on already established brands. BTAC prices have already gone up significantly since they were first introduced, but they can't tack on another $20 MSRP from one year to the next; even enthusiasts wouldn't stand for that, especially since so many of us have bunkered bottles from years past.

Starting the CEHT line at an already inflated price gives them the flexibility to keep the price steady for the foreseeable future. During that time, as bourbon prices rise in general, whiskey drinkers' expectations for what constitutes a $70 value will adjust. It's a shitty position to be in as a consumer, but thems the breaks.

ShewDawg
05-11-2012, 09:55
I think I am OK with this. I'll still complain about the premium price with everyone else, but I think BT is doing the same thing I would do in their situation.

As their company's product is becoming more in demand, rather than just raising prices on the existing labels, BT is offering a new, high-end brand experience. I am assuming if CEHT bottles are going to be a regular release, BT will have to start aging certain earmarked barrels in a certain way, and in a certain timeline. As any smart business would, they've mitigated risk in their initial offerings, and are testing the market with products that don't require a huge up front investment. Time will tell if their subsequent releases meet the high standards that Pappy/BTAC have set in the marketplace.

Well said. They make a high quality product at what they view as a discounted price. Their raising of the price has been justified by the demand increasing. I no longer see PVW/BTAC last more than a week on the shelf, which was not always the case. I know it's anecodotal, but seeing responses on here, many others are experiencing the same.

We, being the bourbon nuts, are our own worst enemy here. I doubt they have seen their sales drop over the last several years, in fact, they have probably moved more product than they ever have.

cowdery
05-11-2012, 10:37
They may be looking for a product that isn't a one-off like Tornado and Sour Mash, that they can put out as much of as the market will bear. If you think about Van Winkle and its evolution over the last ten or more years, it seems to stand more than anything else for the proposition that significant numbers of people will pay a huge price to, basically, show off. Not really the bourbon enthusiast approach, which is based on actually knowing something about what you're buying, but it's hard for any business to resist taking money from people so anxious to give it up.

RyanL
05-11-2012, 14:32
BT really has become an amazing marketing machine. I wonder how long until SRP on the whole BTAC goes up. The Single Oak Project proved to us they will sell crappy bourbon at a premium...why wouldn't they start selling good bourbon at an even higher premium?

sutton
05-11-2012, 16:53
All good points - my confusion rests with what they are really doing with CEHT as a brand. I just don't know what to expect; and at $65-$70 a crack, I'd think they'd have some consistency with the profile other than just putting a big price on a nice bourbon in a Scotch-whisky tube.

All of the other products that carry a legacy name at least more or less conform to a basic profile: ETL, Van Winkle, Blanton's, etc. What exactly is CEHT supposed to be? That was why I thought the original sour mash was so intriguing. They were re-creating the recipe (or so I thought) that Col. Taylor had utilized. I thought that was great and had promise if they pursued it consistently.

Is CEHT supposed to be BT's version of HH's Parker's Heritage series? You just never know what the next release will be, based on whatever really interesting barrels they stumble across in the warehouse that don't fit another established profile, but they know they can get a high price for?

If so, fine ... I guess...

BourbonJoe
05-11-2012, 17:04
I opened a bottle of this at our bourbon tasting today. The boys all loved it and asked where they could buy it.
Joe :usflag:

smokinjoe
05-11-2012, 17:32
:lol: OK, boys. Which one of you has the cojones to offer the dissenting opinion? Huddle up. :lol:

bad_scientist
05-11-2012, 18:04
I opened a bottle of this at our bourbon tasting today. The boys all loved it and asked where they could buy it.
Joe :usflag:

The uncut, 134.5 proof one? How did you get that?

cowdery
05-11-2012, 19:07
The uncut, 134.5 proof one? How did you get that?

If you have to ask, you aren't allowed to know. :)

bad_scientist
05-11-2012, 19:10
If you have to ask, you aren't allowed to know. :)

Yeah, I knew as soon as I sent it that it was a stupid question, but I didn't try to edit it to make myself seem wiser. As they say in DC, it's not the crime that gets you, it's the coverup.

cigarnv
05-12-2012, 02:31
" if it tastes good, sell it".

Dave... as important 'if it tastes good, buy it".

jburlowski
05-12-2012, 07:10
Dave... as important 'if it tastes good, buy it".

I agree. If you like the taste (with the price obviously being a real-world factor) then buy it.

Age is, IMO, overrated as a factor. I've had 12-20 yo that we're awful and 6-8 yo that are knock your socks off great.

Same is true about marketing / packaging.

I don't buy the conspiracy theories that BT is trying to raise prices or screw us, etc. If you think the price is too high or the taste not there (in other words, it's not a value proposition), don't buy it. (That's how i feel about Bookers) There are plenty other good bourbons out there.

Trey Manthey
05-12-2012, 08:31
Even the best 7 y/o isn't going to have the complexity of a run of the mill 12 y/o.

I have to disagree. An outstanding 6 year old whiskey like THH can certainly hold its own against a 12 year like EC12.

I also don't believe that BT is planning on seeing how far they can take it. Like selling 4 year old or less mediocre bourbon for $100+. That's your average craft distillery.

Without having tasted the product yet, I doubt BT would release a barrel proof bourbon if it wasn't fantastic. This is the same distillery that produces GTS and WLW, after all.

I really wish that I could have been in the meetings where they hatched the plan to release CEHT. They are in such an interesting position within their market. They almost have the market cornered on highly prestigious/status symbol American whiskey with Pappy and BTAC. Granted, it is also highly delicious, but would you stockpile it and hunt for it and brag about it to your friends if you could buy it any day of the week? So even if they could release those labels year round, it would be a bad move, as the customer's perception of value goes down. So what to do to increase sales volume? Start a new high-end label. But how would they create the perceived value of prestige in the marketplace? Put an old, dead guy on the label and relate his charming, historically significant back story. No, they already did that. Or they could release limited edition bottles of whiskey that is either too unique or too good to dump into any other batch until they've aged enough juice to make a regular release.

PaulO
05-12-2012, 09:53
So its like paying the same amount as Stagg for half the age? Yeah, if it's young Stagg we can call it fawn, or Bambi. :lol: I guess I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen BT offer something along the lines of the original Taylor recipe. I keep hearing how people love the pre-Beam dusties. Maybe that will come. I don't know. In some ways BT is doing the same thing as Beam did with the Taylor brand. They both put the brand name on stuff they allready had around. The difference is Beam used Taylor as a bottom shelf dogs and cats type of brand. The funny thing is some stores have both the cheap, and expensive Taylors at the same time.

sailor22
05-12-2012, 11:22
I have to disagree. An outstanding 6 year old whiskey like THH can certainly hold its own against a 12 year like EC12.

I also don't believe that BT is planning on seeing how far they can take it. Like selling 4 year old or less mediocre bourbon for $100+. That's your average craft distillery.

Without having tasted the product yet, I doubt BT would release a barrel proof bourbon if it wasn't fantastic. This is the same distillery that produces GTS and WLW, after all.

I really wish that I could have been in the meetings where they hatched the plan to release CEHT. They are in such an interesting position within their market. They almost have the market cornered on highly prestigious/status symbol American whiskey with Pappy and BTAC. Granted, it is also highly delicious, but would you stockpile it and hunt for it and brag about it to your friends if you could buy it any day of the week? So even if they could release those labels year round, it would be a bad move, as the customer's perception of value goes down. So what to do to increase sales volume? Start a new high-end label. But how would they create the perceived value of prestige in the marketplace? Put an old, dead guy on the label and relate his charming, historically significant back story. No, they already did that. Or they could release limited edition bottles of whiskey that is either too unique or too good to dump into any other batch until they've aged enough juice to make a regular release.

Well said.
The "only this limited release" represents a response to the current trend in Bourbon buying. I assume the Bourbon market is still mostly people who pick one label and stick to it but the enthusiast market is growing and they are often willing to pay a premium price. There is money to be made and BT is on top of the opportunity.

jburlowski
05-12-2012, 12:54
Yeah, if it's young Stagg we can call it fawn, or Bambi. :lol: I guess I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen BT offer something along the lines of the original Taylor recipe.

It's only been a few years since BT acquired the Taylor brand. How can you expect them to already be offering something along the original Taylor recipe?

Rughi
05-12-2012, 13:28
It's only been a few years since BT acquired the Taylor brand. How can you expect them to already be offering something along the original Taylor recipe?

You are quite right, John.
Here's the sb.com post on the first batch (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=179051#post179051) in August 2009

PaulO
05-12-2012, 18:51
It's only been a few years since BT acquired the Taylor brand. How can you expect them to already be offering something along the original Taylor recipe? I think they could have waited until the original Taylor mash bill recipe whiskey was ready, then released that. I know BT owns the brand, and can do as they like. Regardless, whatever they do will be better than the barely mediocre Beam version of Taylor.

p_elliott
05-12-2012, 19:14
They only made 4 barrels of that original recipe so there won't be much of it to go around.

Restaurant man
05-12-2012, 23:44
So it's possible that the limited releases are to build excitement/pass time until the old recipe is ready for roll out. My understanding was that BT was releasing various types of recipes so that one could be selected for a regular offering under the EH Taylor label. But obviously the tornado is a departure from that mold. The single barrel was just dumb. So they haven't really done much beyond the first release that follows what I understood was the original plan (as announced)

tmckenzie
05-13-2012, 03:41
Yeah, if it's young Stagg we can call it fawn, or Bambi. :lol: I guess I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen BT offer something along the lines of the original Taylor recipe. I keep hearing how people love the pre-Beam dusties. Maybe that will come. I don't know. In some ways BT is doing the same thing as Beam did with the Taylor brand. They both put the brand name on stuff they allready had around. The difference is Beam used Taylor as a bottom shelf dogs and cats type of brand. The funny thing is some stores have both the cheap, and expensive Taylors at the same time.
I would love to see BT make a modern dusty if you will. But I am pretty sure that things have been re engineered in the big distilleries that it would be next to impossible. And all micros have pots, but one I know may have a column soon that can produce a modern dusty if you will.

Bmac
05-13-2012, 05:36

Oh...i dont know about that. BT has been selling mediocre 10yr bourbon in 350ml bottles for 69.00 here in Texas. These little gems are the Buffalo Trace Project Oak experiments. 70 dollars for a bourbon that has a 90% or more chance of sucking in a 350ml bottle. That's not coming from a craft distiller. At least with CEHT,it has been selected for goodness and comes in 750mls. Same price tag too.

Trey Manthey
05-13-2012, 07:35
Oh...i dont know about that. BT has been selling mediocre 10yr bourbon in 350ml bottles for 69.00 here in Texas. These little gems are the Buffalo Trace Project Oak experiments. 70 dollars for a bourbon that has a 90% or more chance of sucking in a 350ml bottle. That's not coming from a craft distiller. At least with CEHT,it has been selected for goodness and comes in 750mls. Same price tag too.

Hard to argue that one. I'm not rich enough to shell out for either the Single Oak Project or any of the Experimental Collection, even though I've seen them retail for $45 - $50 in these parts.

However, those are named and marketed as experiments, and the labels and limited marketing would only appeal to connoisseurs/enthusiasts. They are not aged, selected, or marketed for exceptional taste like a Pappy/BTAC, but rather under a controlled set of variables to highlight the differences in that arise from different mashbills or wood cuts.

sailor22
05-13-2012, 07:55
Exactly, they are EXPERIMENTS that you can taste the results of.... if your interested or flush enough.

Josh
05-13-2012, 09:59

I have to disagree with that. I think Handy is the most overrated, overpriced whiskey on the market. The last bottle I bought, I watered down to 90 proof and tasted it alongside the Baby Saz. I couldn't tell the difference. Now that the price is higher, it's not even a bargain anymore when the proof is factored in. But a lot of people disagree with me, obviously.

callmeox
05-13-2012, 11:47
I have to disagree with that. I think Handy is the most overrated, overpriced whiskey on the market. The last bottle I bought, I watered down to 90 proof and tasted it alongside the Baby Saz. I couldn't tell the difference. Now that the price is higher, it's not even a bargain anymore when the proof is factored in. But a lot of people disagree with me, obviously.

I'm with Josh on this. I rarely drink barrel proof whiskey without cutting it down to a drinkable ABV. The high proof torches my tastebuds and I'd rather not risk damage to my esophagus at that ABV.

When taken down to a drinkable proof, THH isn't anything special to me and as a Saz Jr. concentrate, it is not a good deal on the economic side.

Trey Manthey
05-13-2012, 12:39
I'm with Josh on this. I rarely drink barrel proof whiskey without cutting it down to a drinkable ABV. The high proof torches my tastebuds and I'd rather not risk damage to my esophagus at that ABV.

When taken down to a drinkable proof, THH isn't anything special to me and as a Saz Jr. concentrate, it is not a good deal on the economic side.

Based on some quick logical analysis, I think we can safely assume you and Josh will NOT be purchasing a bottle of the this new Taylor release.

It's all good. In the words of the great Caesar, "De gustibus, de coloribus, et de mulieribus, non disputandum est." I think about this saying almost every time I get on this board. It's pointless to argue about taste, as everyone has their own preference.

Josh
05-13-2012, 13:11
Based on some quick logical analysis, I think we can safely assume you and Josh will NOT be purchasing a bottle of the this new Taylor release.

It's all good. In the words of the great Caesar, "De gustibus, de coloribus, et de mulieribus, non disputandum est." I think about this saying almost every time I get on this board. It's pointless to argue about taste, as everyone has their own preference.

+3 for use of the Latin version of the saying, +2 for it being from Medieval Latin. :D

And, yes, of course. Just wanted to justify my answer. est omnino bonum (I think that's right:skep: )

callmeox
05-13-2012, 13:50
And to get my responses back on topic (sorry!) Trey is correct that I won't be buying the latest EHT no matter how many secret apartment number folks give it a positive review.

bad_scientist
05-13-2012, 15:04
And to get my responses back on topic (sorry!) Trey is correct that I won't be buying the latest EHT no matter how many secret apartment number folks give it a positive review.

You mean MDCCLXXXIX-B?

cigarnv
05-13-2012, 15:59
You mean MDCCLXXXIX-B?

You are off one character MDCCLXXXIX-C ,,,,, C is the last character, not B:grin:

cigarnv
05-13-2012, 16:01
:grin:

Scott, from what I hear it is a small condo unit.... not an apartment....:grin:

MacinJosh
05-13-2012, 17:59
For everyone's viewing pleasure.

I did get the chance to nose it from the bottle but must have walked off right before the samples were poured. For what it's worth....it did have a very nice nose.

callmeox
05-13-2012, 19:07
:grin:

Scott, from what I hear it is a small condo unit.... not an apartment....:grin:

big snake, big worm

mosugoji64
05-13-2012, 22:36
big snake, big worm

Big perm? :grin:

cigarnv
05-14-2012, 05:00
big snake, big worm

What ever works for catchin fish in a barrel...:grin:

Brisko
05-14-2012, 08:15

I've done the same thing but I can tell the difference: the bottle of Baby Saz I have (from this year) beats my 2010 Handy hands down.

Trey Manthey
05-14-2012, 08:52
I've done the same thing but I can tell the difference: the bottle of Baby Saz I have (from this year) beats my 2010 Handy hands down.

From now on, I will be offering a Handy trade in program. In exchange for your bottle, depending on fill level, I will send you up to two bottles of Baby Saz.

p_elliott
05-14-2012, 09:12
So it's possible that the limited releases are to build excitement/pass time until the old recipe is ready for roll out. My understanding was that BT was releasing various types of recipes so that one could be selected for a regular offering under the EH Taylor label. But obviously the tornado is a departure from that mold. The single barrel was just dumb. So they haven't really done much beyond the first release that follows what I understood was the original plan (as announced)

The single barrel is going to be the regular release.

Brisko
05-14-2012, 09:58
From now on, I will be offering a Handy trade in program. In exchange for your bottle, depending on fill level, I will send you up to two bottles of Baby Saz.

:grin: There's about a 1/4 of a bottle left.

It's not that I don't like it. I like it fine. Just not at 90 proof. Makes you wonder what the current Saz would be like at even 100 or 107.

fussychicken
05-17-2012, 20:02
Buffalo Trace's new tagline: "Aiming for banker's prices for everything we sell..."

cowdery
05-19-2012, 17:05
Buffalo Trace's new tagline: "Aiming for banker's prices for everything we sell..."

Well, Taylor was a banker.

fussychicken
05-22-2012, 14:40
Well, Taylor was a banker.

LOL. That is the best reason I've heard yet to justify this series!!

jburlowski
05-22-2012, 15:40
So what's going to happen with Old Taylor brand? Is BT going to keep it on the market when the Beam juice runs out? Or put it out of its (and our) misery?

p_elliott
05-23-2012, 08:56
So what's going to happen with Old Taylor brand? Is BT going to keep it on the market when the Beam juice runs out? Or put it out of its (and our) misery?

Hopefully they will make it a decent midshelf bourbon that's what they should do IMO.

weller_tex
05-23-2012, 12:48
Hopefully they will make it a decent midshelf bourbon that's what they should do IMO.
Yep, that's what they should do, but knowing BT, they won't. It will be another $70-$80 bottle. Thank goodness for OWA and W12..

ThomasH
06-20-2012, 21:17
The Taylor barrel strength bourbon is now out. I ordered a bottle tonight from the PLCB website!

Thomas