PDA

View Full Version : New from IL

Alex
05-11-2012, 09:55
Hey just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Alex and live about an hour north of St. Louis, on the IL side. Little bit about myself, I'm 26 and have a steady job.

I got into bourbon seriously about last November or something like that. I always had whiskey around, but never took it too seriously. Always enjoyed liquor though, of all kinds. My friends and I used to pound Ten High in college, but those days are long gone lol.

One day I was grocery shopping and stopped by the liquor aisle. Decided to buy a nicer bottle of bourbon and decided on Woodford Reserve (it looked expensive and a nice bottle). Started drinking that, thought it was ok, didn't really have anything to compare it to. Got online and looked at some reviews (always been into online forums). Decided I wanted to try some more bourbons. I was drawn to Bourbon because of the whole Americana deal. I love my country and I wanted to drink something that was truly American.

So for Christmas I bought myself a bunch of bottles and haven't stopped since. I don't spend more than what my budget allows, but I have some really great places to shop with good selections and prices. I've watched Fred Noe taste stuff on youtube and tried to mimic his style of tasting. Read Sour Mash Manifesto and Chuck Cowdery's blog among others to discover new bottlings and how to taste and understand whiskey.

Not that people probably care, but here is the list that I've bought so far: (I've had Jim Beam white/JD/EW/Marker's Mark lots before so I never bought any of those) I like drinking my bourbon neat most of the time. Add ice or water when the whiskey or weather dictates that I should. oh and I love manhattans.

Jim Beam Rye (ok)
Woodford Reserve (ok)
Jim Beam Black (eh)
Four Roses Yellow label (eh, just not much there. watery)
Knob Creek (ok)
Knob Creek SBR (ok, really potent)
Basil Hayden's (ok)
Evan Williams SB2001 (liked it)
Wild Turkey 101 (good, but sooo spicy)
Elmer T. Lee (great)
Buffalo Trace (love it)
Old Fitzgerald Green Label BiB (hated it, but awesome label)
OGD (love it - made the best manhattan so far)
Evan Williams 1783 (really like it)
WL Weller 12 year (liked it)
David Nicholson 1843 (ok, helped me set a PR for most manhattans drank in one night, ugh)
Elijah Craig 12 yr (really good)
Four Roses LESB2011 (bought this before I was ready, but it's good)
VWSR12 (real good, but not worth the price at my experience I realized)
George Dickel 12 year (love it)
Rittenhouse Rye (haven't opened yet)
OGD 114 (haven't opened yet)

I'm starting to gain some real knowledge about what I like and what I don't like, I think. I'm smell and understand more flavors every time I open a bottle, progress is key. I think I like heavier rye bills more than wheat. I look forward to tasting my bottles after work. I've tried to get my friends into it, but they can't get past the straight alcohol burn. Any advice on getting my friends into it? Maybe give them FRYL at 80 proof, instead of BT at 90? make cocktails for them?

Thanks for reading and see you around the forum. Sorry for the novel. I probably won't post to often, I like reading more than talking, but I might throw my opinion out there once in a while.

Alex

AaronWF
05-11-2012, 10:17
Great intro, Alex, you sound like a very thoughtful drinker. The best advice I have for people who can't get past the burn of a good bourbon neat is to tell them to take a small sip, hold it in their mouth for a few moments, let the saliva come out and mix with it, watering it down in their mouth before they swallow. My wife was able to enjoy the >110pf FRLE1B 2012 last night with that advice.

That FRLE1B 2011 you have will continue to improve with air, so I recommend letting it sit while you keep trying more stuff. Also definitely seek out the standard 1B and SmB. A Binny's recently opened in Champaign, so if that's not too far away, you can try other FR 1B recipes.

Alex
05-11-2012, 10:27
Thanks for the comment Aaron.

I'll try try that technique with my friends. Champaign is a ways away, almost 3 hours. I did visit Binny's one time in Chicago and it was awesome. There is a great place in StL, The Wine and Cheese Place. They have FRSB there that I will try at some point. I'm trying to get my fill of $30 and lower at this point. I love the story of Four Roses coming back home so I will definitely try as many as I can.

Edit: Ya with that limited edition, that is exactly what I'm doing. Realized it was just too much right now, so I put it in the closet and will come back when I'm ready (same with the Lot B). Good to hear that a little oxidation helps it flourish.

You have a nice blog there as well. I'm going through it now!

AaronWF
05-11-2012, 11:23
I was actually in St. Louis in early March and visited that shop (very close to the Ritz right?). I took home a Weller SR 7/90 old label from there for about $20, and I'm pretty sure I left at least one on the shelf. I'm not really a big fan of Frankfort WSR, but I've never had the paper label stuff. Especially now that the age statement has gone away, I'd pick one of those up if it's still there.

I also saw the infamous DSP-16 David Nicholson stuff that you mentioned, and which of course is not Stitzel-Weller as the DSP would indicate.

But yeah, I was impressed with their selection. Thanks for the comment on the blog!

p_elliott
05-11-2012, 11:23
Hi Alex

Nice introduction looks like your coming a long nicely in the bourbon world. I used to live not that far away from you in Ft.Madison IA a couple of hours. Come join us in chat some time we are there on Thur thru Sat nights.

Alex
05-11-2012, 12:16
I'm not really a big fan of Frankfort WSR, but I've never had the paper label stuff. Especially now that the age statement has gone away, I'd pick one of those up if it's still there.

I also saw the infamous DSP-16 David Nicholson stuff that you mentioned, and which of course is not Stitzel-Weller as the DSP would indicate.

Ya I'll look for it next time I'm down there, never had any WSR

Real quick, can you explain the DSP-16? I'm having trouble understanding. DSP-16 is the code for SW stuff right? Why does DN1843 have the code if it's not actually SW? I didn't really think 1843 was all that special.

Alex
05-11-2012, 12:16
Hi Alex

Nice introduction looks like your coming a long nicely in the bourbon world. I used to live not that far away from you in Ft.Madison IA a couple of hours. Come join us in chat some time we are there on Thur thru Sat nights.

Thanks for the invite, might soon you soon.

BMartin42
05-11-2012, 12:29
Welcome Alex. You must be just a few miles south of me. I'm in Chatham just south of Springfield. Hope to get to meet you and do some sipping with you sometime!

Alex
05-11-2012, 12:39
Welcome Alex. You must be just a few miles south of me. I'm in Chatham just south of Springfield. Hope to get to meet you and do some sipping with you sometime!

Hey! I know Chatham. I come to Springfield once in a while for business meetings. That's not that far really, little over 90 miles. I'd love to meet up sometime too. Friar Tucks is a great place!

Tony
05-11-2012, 14:23
Great intro Alex and welcome from up in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Alex
05-11-2012, 14:48
Great intro Alex and welcome from up in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Thanks Tony, nice to meet you.

BMartin42
05-11-2012, 19:48
Hey! I know Chatham. I come to Springfield once in a while for business meetings. That's not that far really, little over 90 miles. I'd love to meet up sometime too. Friar Tucks is a great place!

Great! Sometime when you are coming to Springfield shoot me a PM. I'm positive we can find something to sip on in one of my bars. I'm one of the lucky people that have a family room and a game room bar.

Wall Eye
05-12-2012, 07:51
Welcome from a bit farther north - Bloomington.

Don't wait around too long to try that RittBIB - good stuff, and you don't need an experienced palate to enjoy it...

AaronWF
05-12-2012, 10:37
Real quick, can you explain the DSP-16? I'm having trouble understanding. DSP-16 is the code for SW stuff right? Why does DN1843 have the code if it's not actually SW? I didn't really think 1843 was all that special.

I believe DN originally sourced its juice from SW. They're still using the old labels that say DSP-16 even though it hasn't been SW juice for a while.

Alex
05-13-2012, 09:03
Great! Sometime when you are coming to Springfield shoot me a PM. I'm positive we can find something to sip on in one of my bars. I'm one of the lucky people that have a family room and a game room bar.

Cool man, will do!

Alex
05-13-2012, 09:07
Welcome from a bit farther north - Bloomington.

Don't wait around too long to try that RittBIB - good stuff, and you don't need an experienced palate to enjoy it...

Thanks for the post Rich