PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Current Bourbon Under 90 proof

weller_tex
05-16-2012, 21:27
Kind of taking a different tact here. I think many of us like to see bourbon at > 90 proof, and would also agree that back in the 70's and 80's (from my memory and your memory/dusty experience) lower proof bourbons were very flavorful. In light of that what is your favorite current bourbon that is < 90 proof. Myself going to have to go with VOB 86.

bjbronwyn
05-16-2012, 21:42
I would say the EWSB 2001 (only one ive tasted) is a great pour at 86.6, or the 80pf Makers Mark. Both are light and smooth and comfortable to drink neat.

weller_tex
05-16-2012, 21:49
I would say the EWSB 2001 (only one ive tasted) is a great pour at 86.6, or the 80pf Makers Mark. Both are light and smooth and comfortable to drink neat.
I love MM, but unless you have had a version I am not familiar with it is 90 proof, I picked under 90 proof for that reason. I just have not been crazy about the 3 EWSB I have had, including 2001, but to each his own. There isn't a whole lotta love for MM here, hopefully that will grow.

bjbronwyn
05-16-2012, 22:07
MM is 80 proof in Australia, maybe its to save on the importing tax.
We are not blessed with the choices that other parts of the world enjoy!

weller_tex
05-16-2012, 22:15
MM is 80 proof in Australia, maybe its to save on the importing tax.
We are not blessed with the choices that other parts of the world enjoy!Hi bjbronwyn1 i did not know that about MM in Oz! I worked in Alice Springs for a couple of months a few years ago but MM was not sold there. I would agree that an 80 proof MM would be very good!

Good on ya, mate!

jburlowski
05-17-2012, 05:34
AAA, if you can get it.

Tucker
05-17-2012, 06:08
I've got some Liquor Barn Hancock's at 88.9 that's not bad for the price (<$30) but it's not a regular pour. AAA 10 year is, though, and a fine bourbon at that. Can't forget Dickel Barrel Select, either.

cigarnv
05-17-2012, 06:18
AAA, if you can get it.

I second John's choice.... specifically TPS current offering

Young Blacksmith
05-17-2012, 06:31
Under 90 proof I'd have to go with 4R yellow label, EWSB, or possibly Old Forester 86. I forget what the proof on EW 1789 is, but it would be another one if it meets the criteria. Never have been happy with Ancient Age products unfortunately, but I know they make several in this range.

unclebunk
05-17-2012, 07:03
Not many bourbons under 90 proof that I ever seek out, though I have enjoyed Old Forester and Old Charter at 86 proof from time to time.

sailor22
05-17-2012, 08:03
Haven't sampled many recently but I do like the Wild Turkey 81.

p_elliott
05-17-2012, 08:29
I'm giving my vote to Four Roses Yellow Label as well, EWB isn't bad either.

clingman71
05-17-2012, 08:30
I second John's choice.... specifically TPS current offering

Ditto, AAA is solid, the TPS right now is really good.

Kyjd75
05-17-2012, 09:20
AAA, if you can get it.

One nice thing about living in Ky! AAA is here.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xgy1vy

White Dog
05-17-2012, 09:51
Slim pickins. I'll second EWSB and AAA. Although not Bourbon, Fleischmann's Rye at 80proof is ridiculously good, and I like Pikesville as well.

Stormeh
05-17-2012, 10:06
I'm going to have to go with FR Yellow as well.

cigarnv
05-17-2012, 10:10
Haven't sampled many recently but I do like the Wild Turkey 81.

I am starting to worry about you Steve... LOL!!!

JayMonster
05-17-2012, 12:04
I'll probably catch some heat for this, but Jim Beam Black.

IowaJeff
05-17-2012, 12:26
EWSB probably takes the crown for me. Every year I have had has been pretty darn good. Jim Beam Black is probably next. Then EW Black and 4roses yellow.

weller_tex
05-17-2012, 13:47
Before I could get VOB 86, I would have said JBB as well.

Tony
05-17-2012, 14:22
Another vote for the Four Roses yellow label. I do have a bottle of AAA I picked up in Kentucky last year but have not opened it as of yet.

Best regards, Tony

ebo
05-17-2012, 14:30
I like JBB, too. OGD 86 isn't terrible, either.

bllygthrd
05-17-2012, 15:12
AAA, if you can get it.

I'll second that ... AAA. Also, forgot to include Four Roses Yellow Label

ethangsmith
05-17-2012, 16:30
If we can select bourbons that are 90:

Elmer T. Lee
Ezra Brooks 90pf

Lower than 90:
Heaven Hill white label 80pf
Cabin Still

Rye lower than 90:
Pikesville
Old Overholt

Other American whiskies lower than 90:
Michter's American
Platte Valley (McCormick) Corn Whiskey

sutton
05-17-2012, 17:39
I like JBB, too. OGD 86 isn't terrible, either.

Agree on both - nothing wrong with something straightforward and tasty, even if a bit of a one-note song, now and then.

Clavius
05-17-2012, 17:43
At under 90 proof I guess I would have to go with Evan Williams SB. Tough question though as I honestly prefer the higher proof bourbons.

Young Blacksmith
05-17-2012, 18:05
I forgot about VOB 86! Just don't let it sit around for a while opened, as the bottle I have has developed a stout banana taste/aroma. 6+ months? I'll just wait and see if it dissipates.....:grin:

jtexaslonestar
05-17-2012, 18:16
At under 90 proof I guess I would have to go with Evan Williams SB. Tough question though as I honestly prefer the higher proof bourbons.

Ditto for me. some 90 proofers don't even do it for me.

jeanraulmitchell
05-17-2012, 18:24
Uh, cognac or armagnac, definitely not any bourbon I know.

ebo
05-17-2012, 18:48
I rarely drink anything lower than 90 proof. Like most of you, I prefer the higher proof stuff. OGD, EWSB and EWB are really the only bourbons I drink that are under 90 proof.... and I really never drink OGD 86, unless someone gives it to me.:cool:

I have to say.... I can't fathom the love for FR yellow label. I think it is one of the most bland, boring, "nothing" bourbons on the market.... but, that's just my opinion.

steeltownbbq
05-17-2012, 19:28
Another vote for the Four Roses yellow label. I do have a bottle of AAA I picked up in Kentucky last year but have not opened it as of yet.

Yea What he said!

m_jolley
05-17-2012, 19:45
I'd have to go with EWSB, decent pour for the money.

JPBoston
05-17-2012, 20:13
EWB is my go-to cheapo handle to make sure I 'always' have some kind of bourbon available in the house. And it's surprisingly good quality for the price. A nice little hint of cherries in the profile. I went from a bottle of MM to EWB, and VASTLY preferred the EWB. Insanity, when you consider the price points.

In that same price (and proof) range, I also enjoy OGD 86. Though I've only had one 750ml bottle of it, I remember it as a slightly more 'plain' tasting bourbon then EWB. A little more rye bite... more 'dry', but in a good way. Looking forward to trying the OGD BiB and 114.

I may get killed for this... but I've kinda fallen for Benchmark bourbon (bourbon of the month a month or two ago, for what it's worth). For about the same price as EWB.. it imitates the higher proofed, longer aged Buffalo Trace. Benchmark has a buttery smoothness that goes along with the rye... though the low proof shows, in that it tastes slightly watered-down. It's the first bourbon I've purchased in a plastic bottle, and it's as-low-as-you-can-go proof-wise at 80... but dammit, it is good!! (for the price)

I'm really interested in getting some VOB in hand. Gotta remember to hassle my local stores to start carrying it.

weller_tex
05-21-2012, 12:24
I forgot about VOB 86! Just don't let it sit around for a while opened, as the bottle I have has developed a stout banana taste/aroma. 6+ months? I'll just wait and see if it dissipates.....:grin:
The VOB BIB I had did have the strong banana taste..right out of the bottle. However 2 VOB 86's did not at all. Maybe it's a batch variation or maybe the newest VOB 86 don't have it.

Lazer
05-21-2012, 15:41
I'm going with Basil Hayden. If the question was value, I don't know if I would pick it, but if the question is taste, I'll go with BH. I haven't had a lot of the other picks, never even seen a bottle of AAA and I've never had FRYL or OGD86, but of the one's I've had I'll take BH. :cool:

AaronWF
05-21-2012, 22:20
I'm going with Basil Hayden. If the question was value, I don't know if I would pick it, but if the question is taste, I'll go with BH.

That's a good point. It's been a few years since I've been naive enough to spend $40 on BH, but I have been hankering to revisit it.

I'm going to say Dickel Barrel Select. It leaves quite a bit to be desired, and I think I have decided that I actually prefer D12 (which is 90pf), but DBS is bottled at an unfortunate 86pf, and it remains elegant, if not weak and watered down.

CaptainQ
05-21-2012, 23:32
AAA 10 year, hands down.

Josh
05-22-2012, 05:51
I'll shock everyone by agreeing with everything that has been said. The best one is the AAA but only the 10 y/o, NOT the 10 star, which I think is pretty crappy.

86 proof VOB and Old Charter 10 y/o are also pretty good.

EWSB is always at least good, and in good vintages it is interesting too. It didn't immediately come to mind, probably b/c I think of it more as an annual release special edition than something that's around all the time (although it is).

I too enjoy the Four Roses Yellow label. It is subtle, but it has flavors not found in any other bourbon at that shelf level. I remember the days before it was available in Michigan so maybe that former scarcity clouds my judgement.

ratcheer
05-22-2012, 07:21
In my state, I cannot get most of the things others have mentioned. So, currently my favorite in this category is Old Grand Dad 86-proof.

A few days ago, my oldest son came home from college with, among other things, a bottle of Jim Beam white label. We did a quick comparison and he agreed that my OGD 86 is much better. I basically found his Jim Beam to be undrinkable.

Tim

unclebunk
05-22-2012, 07:30
In my state, I cannot get most of the things others have mentioned. So, currently my favorite in this category is Old Grand Dad 86-proof.

A few days ago, my oldest son came home from college with, among other things, a bottle of Jim Beam white label. We did a quick comparison and he agreed that my OGD 86 is much better. I basically found his Jim Beam to be undrinkable.

Tim

The OGD86 is actually quite good and goes well with college football and brats. Check out the combo yourself, if you don't believe me.:grin:

p_elliott
05-22-2012, 09:26

Tim

Glad you set him straight on that, it's good to let the college boy know that dad still knows a thing or two. :slappin:

weller_tex
05-23-2012, 11:27
I'll shock everyone by agreeing with everything that has been said. The best one is the AAA but only the 10 y/o, NOT the 10 star, which I think is pretty crappy.

86 proof VOB and Old Charter 10 y/o are also pretty good.

EWSB is always at least good, and in good vintages it is interesting too. It didn't immediately come to mind, probably b/c I think of it more as an annual release special edition than something that's around all the time (although it is).

I too enjoy the Four Roses Yellow label. It is subtle, but it has flavors not found in any other bourbon at that shelf level. I remember the days before it was available in Michigan so maybe that former scarcity clouds my judgement.
I had some dusty OC Classic 90 that I loved, but don't like the current OC 8 year. I have not had the OC 10 so I need to try that.

Josh
05-23-2012, 11:39
I had some dusty OC Classic 90 that I loved, but don't like the current OC 8 year. I have not had the OC 10 so I need to try that.
I think the OC 10 is pretty good for the price. It's typical of the BT Mashbill #2 but avoids the grassiness of Buffalo Trace. But don't expect to be blown away.

I also dislike the current 8 y/o. Awful stuff. Very similar to Benchmark.

The Classic 90 12 y/o was a very good whiskey for the price. I have an unopened bottle on the bar currently, may have to get into that tonight!

weller_tex
05-23-2012, 12:36
I think the OC 10 is pretty good for the price. It's typical of the BT Mashbill #2 but avoids the grassiness of Buffalo Trace. But don't expect to be blown away.

I also dislike the current 8 y/o. Awful stuff. Very similar to Benchmark.

The Classic 90 12 y/o was a very good whiskey for the price. I have an unopened bottle on the bar currently, may have to get into that tonight!
I actually like Benchmark OK, but maybe the 2 bottles I had were especially good..cuz OC 8 was awful. I bought the OC 8 it to take with me on a business trip to the middle of nowhere..I poured it down the drain the first night I tried it. I would have thought that a decent mashbill spending 8 years in the barrel would be at least decent. Just goes to show you that more age definitely does not mean better whiskey.

I have said I was not going to get into dusty hunting, but I may have to search out some OC Classic 90..supposedly still plentiful in these parts. When I had it before, I had no idea it was a dusty!

bllygthrd
06-09-2012, 21:46
Cracked open my bottle of OC 8YO tonight for my first taste.

I like the heirloom aspect of the bottle. The beveled shoulder and grain shocks pressed into the glass, as well as the old school label and red-ish gold content make for a very appealing appearance.

The bourbon, from my perspective, is very unpretentious. Nothing jumps out, good or bad. Pleasantly simple and functional.

I will serve this to friends that don't yet appreciate an "in-your-face" spirit. It may be a good choice for someone to cut their bourbon teeth on ...

Back on topic, OC 8YO wouldn't make my list of Current Favorite Under 90 Proof Bourbon [bottle yes! contents no].

PaulO
06-10-2012, 11:25
Since no one else has mentioned it, the most recent bourbon under 90 proof that I liked is the new Early Times bourbon. It's not thin and watery like many 80 proofers, and it has some of the nice carmel and butterscotch type flavors, similar in some ways to Old Forester.

Halifax
06-10-2012, 13:02
Like others have already posted... I am really enjoying TPS AAA 10.

Bourbon Boiler
06-10-2012, 20:02
Until reading this thread and looking at labels, I didn't realize how concentrated my favorite pours were between 90 and 99 proof. I'd have to vote EWSB.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
06-10-2012, 22:16
Old crow reserve!

ratcheer
06-11-2012, 07:49
The OGD86 is actually quite good and goes well with college football and brats. Check out the combo yourself, if you don't believe me.:grin:

I do believe you. I will try to remember that, this Fall.

Tim

ratcheer
06-11-2012, 07:51
Glad you set him straight on that, it's good to let the college boy know that dad still knows a thing or two. :slappin:

Yeah. And immediately after the OGD 86, I gave him a taste of my Rock Hill Farms. You should have seen his face, then, "That's 100 proof?!" He thought the higher the proof, the harsher the whiskey.

Tim