PDA

View Full Version : Sour month!

callmeox
05-30-2012, 20:43
I have a bunch of partial bottles that need to be consumed to make room for new stuff, so I thought I would declare June as bourbon sour month in order to expedite the process.

What's your favorite sour recipe?

I typically add 2 parts bourbon, 1 part lemon juice and 1 part simple syrup to a shaker and shake the heck out of it.

I don't always have fresh squeezed lemon handy, but I found that the Minute Maid lemon juice in the freezer section is a nice substitute for the real thing.

mosugoji64
05-30-2012, 22:38
Great idea! I haven't had a bourbon sour in years and June seems like the perfect time for a revisit.

Happyhour24x7
05-31-2012, 05:40
This weather does lend itself to sours, but it would also be a good time to start barrel aging manhattans. Great way to use up a bunch of open bottles.

TomH
05-31-2012, 07:02
I prefer a Stone Sour which where you substitute half of your sour mix with orange juice

CaptainQ
05-31-2012, 08:22
I've been making blackberry bourbon sours lately. Bourbon, fresh lemon juice, seedless blackberry preserves in the shaker with a few cubes of ice. Shake well and pour over ice in an old fashioned glass. An excellent summer beverage.

mosugoji64
05-31-2012, 09:27
I've been making blackberry bourbon sours lately. Bourbon, fresh lemon juice, seedless blackberry preserves in the shaker with a few cubes of ice. Shake well and pour over ice in an old fashioned glass. An excellent summer beverage.

Have you experimented with other types of preserves? I'm wondering if other fruits would work well in a sour.

Happyhour24x7
05-31-2012, 10:01

that sounds AWESOME. will be trying tonight. or, maybe this afternoon.:cool:

CaptainQ
06-01-2012, 10:23
Have you experimented with other types of preserves? I'm wondering if other fruits would work well in a sour.

Not yet, but I have some peach preserves I'm going to try next.

pepcycle
06-01-2012, 12:22
I always add egg white to my sours.

Easiest way is commercially available product called Frothee.

Next is pasteurized egg white in dairy case

Third is separate egg white from raw egg (Health risk)

Adds a body and longstandingn foamy head.

Garnish is key.

Pitted or maraschino cherry, slice of orange or lemon.

callmeox
06-01-2012, 19:08
Day 1 complete:

Knob Single barrel, a tiny splash of Stirrings Blood Orange bitters along with the standard recipe. Shake the crap out of it and it's a tasty sour.

DanG
06-05-2012, 14:20
I like adding egg white as pepcycle recommends. I always use regular egg white but I do a dry shake before adding ice. I hope the booze kills any bad stuff that might be in there. So far, at least, I've been okay. :) I use a 4:3 syrup-to-lemon-juice ratio, though.

callmeox
06-05-2012, 19:00
Totally bummed that I need to suspend my participation in Sour Month due to a health issue. No alcohol for me for a couple weeks. :smiley_acbt:

wmpevans
06-05-2012, 19:21
Bummer Ox. and just when hittin your sour stride.

Hopefully nothing too serious and you'll be back doin some serious sippin in a week or so.

mosugoji64
06-05-2012, 21:06
Totally bummed that I need to suspend my participation in Sour Month due to a health issue. No alcohol for me for a couple weeks. :smiley_acbt:

Sorry to hear it Scott. Hope you have a speedy recovery - the place just wouldn't be the same without you!

callmeox
06-05-2012, 21:30
Bummer Ox. and just when hittin your sour stride.

Hopefully nothing too serious and you'll be back doin some serious sippin in a week or so.

Sorry to hear it Scott. Hope you have a speedy recovery - the place just wouldn't be the same without you!

Thanks guys, just a temporary setback that is only impacting my consumption and not my participation here. :grin:

I wasn't fishing for a pity party, I was just explaining my lack of Sour Month posts but I appreciate the well wishes.

p_elliott
06-06-2012, 09:04
Keep your wienny where it's supposed to be and you wouldn't have these problems. :slappin: