PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Break Your Glencairn Today Thread

LikeItWasSodaPop
06-13-2012, 11:38
Glassware is delicate. And these glasses are small. My fiancee has broken a good 6 or so in the year I've been active on the site. She even bought me a 6 pack of Glencairns as a b-day present as a testament to her awesomeness and also as an acknowledgement of her glass breaking skills.

These glasses break easy.

Last night my cat ran across the table and kicked a BMH 23 / Saz 18 vatting off the table and shattered the glass in the process.

Anyway, here's to future Glencairn shattering. Bare feet watch out!

Luna56
06-13-2012, 12:12
Damn, glad you got a case of Glencairns. With a cat around, sounds like you're gonna be ordering another case real soon.:grin:

Hang in there.

Cheers!

univibe88
06-13-2012, 12:21
I have found mine to be rather resilient. Luckily I haven't broken any. Wine glasses, on the other hand, are an endangered species in my house.

BourbonJoe
06-13-2012, 16:21
I threw mine at the TV when I heard Obama blame the current budget deficit on Bush.
Joe :usflag:

SMOWK
06-13-2012, 16:34
The last one I broke was in my pocket and I shut Rod's car door on it at the Sampler.

MarkEdwards
06-13-2012, 16:40
I've been lucky. I still have all four that I bought, and use the same one each night (after it's been washed, of course). When that one breaks, I'll pull another one out of storage.

LikeItWasSodaPop
06-13-2012, 20:52
Do y'all not have significant others? My fiancee (wife come June 30) has broken at least 6 of them. Not kidding. I guess I thought this was a common thing.

Maybe the problem is I have 3-4 out on the counter on a given night.

I'm marrying a beautiful (bourbon-loving) klutz.

Lost Pollito
06-13-2012, 22:56
I haven't broken a Glencairn. But, I don't get all AWF'D up like Soda. :cool:

p_elliott
06-13-2012, 23:12
I have only broke one glenclairn it was at the gazebo in KY. I stood up to shake someones hand and bumped the table.

cbus
06-14-2012, 12:53
Had a roommate break one a few months back, but that is the only one of mine that has suffered such a fate... yet.

ebo
06-14-2012, 13:58
I've only had one broken glass... and my daughter broke it while doing dishes. Any future broken glasses will be my fault because no one will wash them anymore. :lol:

SMOWK
06-14-2012, 14:02
Luckily I haven't broken any.

I still have all four that I bought

I haven't broken a Glencairn.

I have only broke one glenclairn

Had a roommate break one a few months back, but that is the only one of mine that has suffered such a fate... yet.

I've only had one broken glass... and my daughter broke it while doing dishes.

Methinks you guys should be drinking more. A broken glass means...it's time for another. :cool:

Young Blacksmith
06-14-2012, 14:54
I don't use glencairns. I use the Bulleit Bourbon, heavy bottom, thick rim glass. Those things are indestructible.

dridge11
06-15-2012, 14:14
Just got my first 6 today, I will protect them (and their contents) with any means necessary.

sutton
06-15-2012, 15:46
I always thought the point about the Glencairn is its stability and practical indestructibility. Are you guys throwing these in the fireplace?

Now Reidel stemware is another problem entirely ...

bllygthrd
06-15-2012, 17:49
Any future broken glasses will be my fault because no one will wash them anymore. :lol:

That's my mantra also ... now if I can just get the family to not put my good knives in the dishwasher!

Bourbon Boiler
06-15-2012, 18:55
I broke a handful of drinking glasses in a move where they weren't packaged well, but that's been my only incident. Pint glasses are another story.

ILLfarmboy
06-16-2012, 18:30
I have found mine to be rather resilient. Luckily I haven't broken any. Wine glasses, on the other hand, are an endangered species in my house.

Ditto on the wine glasses. I usualy break 'em while washing them.

I use Ridel bourbon glasses/snifters/and lowball glasses. I haven't broken a whiskey glass in a few years.

You guys must be hell on glasses.

I have a habit of talking with my hands and I've been known to knock my drink over when intoxicated. I've knocked over a reidel a couple times doing this but haven't broke one yet

Kalessin
06-18-2012, 12:17
My whole family (and many of my friends) talk with their hands... I don't like stemless wine glasses, so I stick with wineglasses by Libbey for the big family events...

My whiskey glasses are generally all short, wide and durable. It's just better that way. I have a Glencairn for tasting, but it spends most of its time hiding away from my tender mercies... :lol:

Lazer
06-18-2012, 19:06
I have 4 GC's and none have broke. My wife once droped one on the kitchen floor and not a scratch. Wine glasses break, not GC's. Maybe your fiance thinks you drink too much. :skep:

Clavius
06-24-2012, 19:01
So far I haven't broken any of the 4 I have. I wash them by hand very carefully. Two of the 4 are just plain ones that I wouldn't really mind too much if they broke. But the other two are special. One is from Laphroaig and the other is from BT with "Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery" etched into it.

Photodudems
09-13-2012, 11:07
I don't own any, but I opened a case at a local shop to grab a couple - of the 20 or so in the case, they were ALL broken. And this is a shop that deals in fragile things - Not sure how that happened. A sad day indeed.

HighInTheMtns
09-13-2012, 11:23
I broke one the other day by closing the freezer door on it. Just cracked, didn't shatter. They're remarkably sturdy.

fishnbowljoe
09-13-2012, 16:36
It's all Paul's fault. To quote Britney Spears. "Ooops he did it again..." :slappin:

fishnbowljoe
09-23-2012, 13:36
It's all Paul's fault. To quote Britney Spears. "Ooops he did it again..." :slappin:

I just had to do this. :70358-devil: The pic below is all that remains of Heinz's nosing glass. It was an accident. Paul went to shake hands with someone that was leaving. Heinz's glass was knocked off the table. It was kinda funny when Heinz said "Now I vill haff to drink vhiskey from my hands the rest of the veek." :slappin:

steeltownbbq
09-27-2012, 18:58
My son was visiting and sampling several of my bourbons when the Glencairn he was using slipped from his grasp. It hit my glass, and the table on the way to the floor. It had nary a scratch. Tough glass.

Luna56
09-27-2012, 22:06
Lucky. The glass ones are pretty tough. The crystal, not so much, in my experience. I've only broken one so far (mentioned upthread).
I am now extra careful when hand washing and when I have company they get the glass ones.:cool:

Cheers!

darylld911
09-28-2012, 02:58
I use mine quite often (I know some say they are for "tasting" and not "drinking", but since I like to "taste" what I "drink" - I'd say I use them for 85% of my whisky drinking). I've yet to break one, and have had one or two fall off the table. Although I am disappointed to have missed the Heinz European Tasting Glass Diving Competition :lol:

jcg9779
09-28-2012, 08:47
I haven't broken one recently, although one has mysteriously disappeared. I used to have six and then I broke one myself. Strangely, I'm now down to four Glencairns. My girlfriend insists that she didn't break one, although I'm not sure... :skep:

p_elliott
10-01-2012, 08:14
I haven't broken one recently, although one has mysteriously disappeared. I used to have six and then I broke one myself. Strangely, I'm now down to four Glencairns. My girlfriend insists that she didn't break one, although I'm not sure... :skep:

Well if you would ever suck it up and come back to KY you can pick those things up all over the place :grin:.

Shuboy
10-07-2012, 14:35
I'm obsessive compulsive so I always handwash my two Glencairns (really should get a couple more in the future) and make sure they go back into the cabinet after they are dry. Then again being anal about these things means improved glass longevity...

p_elliott
10-08-2012, 08:45
I'm obsessive compulsive so I always handwash my two Glencairns (really should get a couple more in the future) and make sure they go back into the cabinet after they are dry. Then again being anal about these things means improved glass longevity...

Also means better taste quality I used to hand wash mine. I should still do it they look like crap after going trough the dishwasher a few hundred times. The wife took an SOS pad to the glasses to get the hard water stains off them a while back eww including my glencairns.

SWC
10-09-2012, 08:37
Broke my second G-D'd Glencairn Copita glass in my g-d'ed sink for the second g d'ed time in two months. G-d it.

p_elliott
10-09-2012, 09:08
Broke my second G-D'd Glencairn Copita glass in my g-d'ed sink for the second g d'ed time in two months. G-d it.

Think we could get another G-d it in there ? Be glad it wasn't some guy at the gazebo breaking it for you. You can buy more on line.

Trey Manthey
12-10-2012, 09:14
Popped one of my ORVW Glencairns last night while trying to move my bar. Didn't mind so much, but I was barefoot, and it ended up with some blood being spilled. It was pretty intense.

ChainWhip
12-10-2012, 20:41
Hope you're not bleeding anymore?

JB64
12-14-2012, 12:49
Popped one of my ORVW Glencairns last night while trying to move my bar. Didn't mind so much, but I was barefoot, and it ended up with some blood being spilled. It was pretty intense.

Sorry for your loss.

camduncan
12-14-2012, 15:17
Sorry for your loss.

The blood or the glass? :slappin:

JPBoston
12-22-2012, 11:16
Also means better taste quality I used to hand wash mine. I should still do it they look like crap after going trough the dishwasher a few hundred times. The wife took an SOS pad to the glasses to get the hard water stains off them a while back eww including my glencairns.

Tell your wife to pour a little white vinegar in the glass and those hard water stains will disappear with little-to-no elbow grease needed. :)

Forgot to post in this thread when it happened... but I finally got a Glencairn a few months back, and my visiting mother managed to break it before it turned 1 month old. These things seem to be a magnet for destruction.

I'm sticking with a simple brandy snifter for now... the glencairns are really nice, but so damned dainty. I feel kinda fem holding one. ;)

steeltownbbq
12-29-2012, 16:05
Rarely use mine - got one out tonight and knocked the damn thing over with my elbow. Spilled good whiskey everywhere. I like my rocks glasses, less accidents

Smokewagon
12-29-2012, 20:26
I came close tonight. I knocked it off the counter doing who knows what and was able to stick my bare foot out to break its fall. It hit my foot, the floor then rolled around a bit. The fat bottom of the glass landed right on the bone, and it hurt like a sonofa...

But no broken Glencairn, so i'll get over it. It was only the second one I pulled out of my half dozen box I got for X-Mas. Can't believe I almost broke it so soon. Glad I got a half dozen though.

~S

PozzSka
12-31-2012, 14:31
I just got my first Glencairn's today. one copita glass, two Glencairn whiskey glasses...we'll see how long until I have to report back... :-/

Bourbon Boiler
01-01-2013, 13:09
I got four more for Christmas, which means I won't be so scared to use one now. I'm sure I'll be reporting back.

AaronWF
01-03-2013, 07:22
I have broken every glencairn I have ever owned, except for the one I'm drinking from now. The last one I broke was my favorite. I got it at HH last year, and it had the the nice double-H design on it... And the way I broke it was really stupid, unfair really. I have a few stone owls strewn around the house, and the biggest one is a good, solid 30+ pounds. All it took was putting my empty glass down on the end table where the owl resides, and sloppily letting it brush up against the dense stone to give the glencairn a crack it could not recover from. It made me quite sad.

Most, if not all, of the others I've lost because I dropped them while washing.

unclebunk
01-03-2013, 07:52
Most, if not all, of the others I've lost because I dropped them while washing. Me too! Ain't that a bitch? At least if you were drunk, you would come to terms with the loss a little easier. But to lose a favorite glass the morning after a booze-up is always a bummer. This weekend my daughter's demonic cat broke a Glencairn glass and a small water pitcher that was given to me on my 50th birthday by a close friend.:cry: I'll tell you what, it's a damned good thing that cat can run like a cheetah or his heinie would've smarted for days!

Kalessin
01-03-2013, 13:18
I'd love to see a special straightbourbon.com "safety base" glencairn issued.

The base should be twice as wide, too heavy for a cat to be interested, have a special indented ground-glass gripping section, and thicker glass for more durability. Retain the shape of the upper glass, put a nice rounded lip on the drinking edge, some bright red swirly warning color in the glass of the now-bigger base, and I'd be good to go.

Won't help much against stone owls, but ya gotta start somewhere.

MyOldKyDram
01-03-2013, 15:50
Never broke one, knock wood.

fishnbowljoe
01-03-2013, 16:03
I haven't broken a Glencairn ............ yet. :bigeyes: Lord knows I've tried to in several different ways though. Let's see.... :skep: #1. Dropped or knocked over in sink while washing. Not a morning after scenario. I rinse my Glencairns after each use, but every so often I'll take the ones that I use the most and give them a good soaking and washing. #2. Knocked over while pouring, or just after pouring. You know the deal. :) #3. Knocked over while reaching for something else to pour. This usually only happens at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. #4. Knocked off the table. Again, pretty much only at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. A fast foot once saved mine from directly hitting the wood deck. :rolleyes: #5. Someone else trying to knock my glass off the table. Yet again, usually at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. FWIW, it wasn't Paul. :grin:

I think I have a little more luck in not breaking my Glencairns because the ones I use are of the older glass variety. Too bad they don't make them any more. If they did, I'd buy a few more. I'm quite sure at least a couple of mine would have bit the dust by now if they were crystal. Cheers! Joe

Bourbon Boiler
01-03-2013, 16:28
Hmmm, if I can make the Gazebo this year I'll either bring a backup glass, or drink from styrofoam. Seems to be a dangerous place for glassware.

p_elliott
01-04-2013, 04:15
"FWIW, it wasn't Paul. :grin:"

I only break Germans glasses so they have to drink out of their hands :slappin:

squire
01-04-2013, 08:19
I like the bouncing charismatics of plastic.

Luna56
01-07-2013, 00:55
I've only broken one so far but I've come close to destroying a Glennie or two on many occasions.
I will be traveling soon and will bring a Glenie or two. I'll keep you posted!

ebo
01-07-2013, 18:21
I've only had one broken, so far. I'm going on two years with the same two Glencairns (crystal) without incident. My Bull Mastiff's tail is the one antagonist in this equation...lol.

BradleyC
02-07-2013, 21:34
I just fumbled my Buffalo Trace Glencairn on the ktchen counter and shattered it. At least it was empty. Do they ship those? I'd love to have a George Stagg logo GC.

camduncan
02-07-2013, 21:36
Goal number 9 for my next trip to Kentucky..... stock up on logo'd glencairns :)

jersey12
02-08-2013, 18:41
Haven't broken one yet but do any of you put crystal gc's in the dishwasher? Sometimes I'm feeling lazy and really want to but figured they'd break or get a film or something on them.

p_elliott
02-10-2013, 18:03
Haven't broken one yet but do any of you put crystal gc's in the dishwasher? Sometimes I'm feeling lazy and really want to but figured they'd break or get a film or something on them.

They do get hard water remains on them

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 16:15
It's okay to put them in the dishwasher.

I've seen many statements about glass vs crystal. Aren't all of the Glencairns crystal? I have only seen crystal on Amazon.

BradleyC they have them for sale on the BT website.

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it now.

HighInTheMtns
02-11-2013, 16:59

I've seen many statements about glass vs crystal. Aren't all of the Glencairns crystal? I have only seen crystal on Amazon.

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it.
There are both glass and crystal although I'm not sure you can get glass anymore. They're visibly different from each other. The glass ones have a little lip on the rim of the glass.

I drink almost exclusively out of a Glencairn and so do a lot of my buddies who aren't really interested in serious nosing and tasting. Some of them will even put ice in the Glencairn (rocks glasses are sitting right next to the Glencairns.) I like drinking beer out of a nice glass too. Things taste better when aromas are appropriately concentrated.

SFS
02-11-2013, 18:42
I use a Glencairn about 90% of the time, whether I'm drinking critically or not. The other 10% of the time, I use a commemorative (Crown Black?) square-cornered tumbler because I like the weight of it (and it's better for larger pours).

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 19:25
I went ahead and ordered a couple of the standard and Copita style so I can do more side-by-side tasting. Plus, I need more for guests.

PozzSka
02-12-2013, 06:23

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it now.

I prefer the Copita style, but unless I'm drinking a cocktail (OF, Manhattan, etc.), or drinking with ice, it's in a Glencairn or Copita glass.

callmeox
02-12-2013, 06:57
This thread is for discussing broken Glencairn glasses. There's a general glassware thread if you want to discuss your preferences. If it is closed, feel free to open a new one.

Thread drift makes topic searches difficult.

BradleyC
02-17-2013, 10:37
With a little help not one, not two, but three Glencairns were broken last night. Three guys and three broken glasses. We each can take credit for one. Then there was the story of the falling Four Roses bottles. I really need to stop posting in this thread.

HighInTheMtns
02-17-2013, 14:21
With a little help not one, not two, but three Glencairns were broken last night. Three guys and three broken glasses. We each can take credit for one. Then there was the story of the falling Four Roses bottles. I really need to stop posting in this thread.

Mine is the most intact one and was the first to go... I think Bradley and Eric were just trying to make me feel better about it.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 11:41
I've broken exactly two. One was at the Dallas Whiskey Festival after I set it atop a parking pole (whatever you call those things). It slipped off and I had to beg an organizer for a second glass.

The other time was actually intentional. I purposely smashed it on my kitchen floor to stop an argument between Timd and BarrelChar. It worked.

MyOldKyDram
06-01-2013, 18:49
Broke my first Glencairn today and I don't even know how. Went to fix myself a pour and noticed the tiniest chip/crack on my ORVW glass. Bummer.

michaelturtle1
08-10-2013, 20:51
Fell off my porch tonight...my monogrammed Glencairn was the casualty...

HighInTheMtns
08-10-2013, 21:07
Got a new dishwasher. It killed two glencairns. That's what I get for not hand washing.

WAINWRIGHT
08-11-2013, 06:58
Got a new dishwasher. It killed two glencairns. That's what I get for not hand washing.I think it is just in your nature,You glass slaying SOB,You!:grin:

MyOldKyDram
08-11-2013, 07:03
Ser Jimmie the Glassslayer. Has a ring to it.

Richnimrod
08-12-2013, 10:16
Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'. :rolleyes:
That said, here's my tale of woe...
My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.
Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way???? :bigeyes:

Kalessin
08-16-2013, 10:39
Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'. :rolleyes:
That said, here's my tale of woe...
My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.
Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way???? :bigeyes:

That sounds more like it got very hot and suddenly cooled, or that there was a flaw in the glass that the expansion or contraction of the glass when being washed made worse. There's a slight chance that it got an extra wash from the maid if, for example, she dripped some soap on it when cleaning the sink and rinsed it off in the hot water.

Over many years, a theater crew that I volunteer with has thrown massive parties with many glencairns washed by the sink at hotels up and down the East Coast. Once they're upside down for a few minutes, they get dried and put back into protective packaging, and not left out for the maids.

We've never had the maids mess with out stuff (we go out of our way to make friends with them, and tip them personally (and generously) instead of just leaving tips on the table at the end of our stay. Little known fact: if you only leave tips on the last day of a multi-day stay, only the last maid gets the tip -- spread the tip out every day, and they'll appreciate it just as much. Tip higher, and sometimes nice things happen.

Bourbon Boiler
08-28-2013, 19:57
Left it too close to my four year old's backpack. When she grabbed her bag and slid it off the table, the glass went flying and shattered. I laughed and had to explain long and hard that it was an accident, I wasn't angry, and she wasn't in trouble. For some reason she must think that Daddy really loves those glasses ...

TunnelTiger
08-29-2013, 08:19
One month of use and haven't broken one yet but it's only a matter of time

whiskeyobsessive
08-29-2013, 18:45
Finally got the 3 month old asleep tonight and was easing into the couch with her. Elbowed a GC full of WTAS15 all over the floor. Woke the baby who screamed at me while I cleaned the glass and bourbon off the floor. Round 2 went better- with some airtime this stuff is growing on me. At least the room smells like bourbon: last time it was a glass full of young Islay and my wife was mad for a week.

Flyfish
09-10-2013, 16:33
Enjoyed some KC SB and, as I was putting it away, knocked my Glencairn onto the hardwood. It bounced a couple of times and rolled behind the draperies. Buy it didn't break! WooHoo!!!

Bourbon Boiler
09-10-2013, 17:21
^Sometimes life is all about getting the right bounces ...

p_elliott
11-22-2013, 08:14
I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April.

p_elliott
11-22-2013, 09:00
I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April. Step daughter is going the bail for the kitten says she herd the glass break and the kitten was on the chair asleep and the old cat was on the desk.