PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jcg9779
06-21-2012, 06:59
Well, summer is here. What are your go to bourbons as the weather turns from warm to hot?

yountvillewjs
06-21-2012, 07:27
I go to lighter fare -- baby Saz (old fashioned, sazeracs v. manhattans), Jack & ginger, 7 & 7, g&t, beer

T Comp
06-21-2012, 07:54
My nod to the summer temps is a tall ice packed glass of whiskey and ginger ale...occasional additions of bitters and Luxardo cherry. The past few days I've been using straight off the shelf 4R SB ($31) as my mixer and it's delicious. And that's still less than $2 a drink (at 1.5 ounces), close or less than the cost of a bottle of beer or average wine.

As I work, drive and live in air conditioning I still consume plenty of neat whiskey and red wines throughout the summer too. Followed up last night with a Medley made Ezra Brooks and 4R 16 year gift shop SB.

jcg9779
06-21-2012, 08:06
I went with some OWA last night. Definitely hit the spot. I might have to get into some FR 16yr tonight - that's a great pour!

Lost Pollito
06-21-2012, 08:35
AAA 10yr last night. What a treat. :cool:

Trey Manthey
06-21-2012, 09:04
Lot B, and FR1B in a boulevardier.

JayMonster
06-21-2012, 10:29
Too hot to drink neat (for me), so Devil's cut in a mountain of ice was the drink of choice last night. I may just stick with that until I get rid of this bottle (or the heat breaks).

Just not loving this bottle, but at least on Ice it is tolerable.

bllygthrd
06-21-2012, 11:21
Last night on the deck, in the 99F heat ... Blanton's SB to celebrate my new granddaughter first night at her home, toasted with my sons-in-law, son and daughter [my youngest daughter (not the mother) has developed a taste for bourbon!]. Today, in the 97F heat ... back to the VOB BIB.

Kalessin
06-21-2012, 13:53
I just opened up a Henry McKenna 10yr BiB non-chill-filtered private label for Loch & K(e)y ($32/btl) and tried some last night.

Man, what a mistake. I tasted cherries, tobacco, a whiff of leather, lots of big chewy flavor and oily mouthfeel and realized I'd opened what I'd consider a winter whiskey in the middle of a summer heat wave. This one's going into basement storage until cooler seasons arrive...

I need to go out and get some heat-wave appropriate summer bourbon.. 4RSmB or even Yellow Label should do the trick.

jcg9779
06-21-2012, 19:08
FR 2009 Mariage this evening.

Tico
06-21-2012, 20:14
The weather cooled off nicely this evening so I went with a good sized pour of GTS 11' with a tiny ice cube.

mosugoji64
06-21-2012, 21:58
Started off the evening with VSOF, which for the first time since opening months ago exhibited characteristics of a wheater. Followed that up with some Bonded OF. Bonded OF has that wonderful rummy old bourbon flavor that is completely absent from OF Signature. They definitely don't make that one like they used to.

LongBeachScott
06-21-2012, 22:13
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tonight it is a real mint bomb!

Scott

darylld911
06-22-2012, 15:30
I'm also enjoying some OFBB - 2007 release. Haven't been as impressed with some of the other Birthday Bourbon years, but 2007 was a gem for that price!

jcg9779
06-22-2012, 15:40
A couple pours of RHF tonight. This bottle has been open for about a year and keeps getting better and better. Lots of cherries in this bourbon.

bllygthrd
06-22-2012, 15:48
On this hot, muggy evening ... VOB BIB, over ice.

MyOldKyDram
06-22-2012, 18:28
Same as so many on these hot days, Four Roses YL.

ebo
06-22-2012, 18:31
FR Small Batch.

kyrocklover
06-22-2012, 18:39
Having a 50/50 split of OGD 114 and Knob Creek.

z327
06-22-2012, 20:07
Just opened the last bottle of TX SPECS had yesterday. The Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co. in FT Worth is blending until theirs has aged. They are a factory of 4 and hand mix and bottle everything. Their first 1400 bottles sold out in like a week. The cork has a circle of old boot leather or snake skin on top. Very unique. I'm not experienced enough to give a real review. But my novice taste buds will tell you their blend is very very smooth and has a strong chocolate finish. Not like anything I've tried to date. Very enjoyable.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3815879/waiting-for-whiskey-at-fort-worths.html

jcg9779
06-22-2012, 20:19
Just opened the last bottle of TX SPECS had yesterday. The Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co. in FT Worth is blending until theirs has aged. They are a factory of 4 and hand mix and bottle everything. Their first 1400 bottles sold out in like a week. The cork has a circle of old boot leather or snake skin on top. Very unique. I'm not experienced enough to give a real review. But my novice taste buds will tell you their blend is very very smooth and has a strong chocolate finish. Not like anything I've tried to date. Very enjoyable.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3815879/waiting-for-whiskey-at-fort-worths.html

It's cheap whiskey that's blended with vodka. Although I haven't had any so I can't offer a true opinion...maybe one of our other Texas members can talk about it (Winston?).

atfree
06-22-2012, 23:02
BT Single Oak #189. I have enjoyed every sip of this one. Unfortunately I am down to my last sip of it.

I also have been enjoying a great TPS BTEC Wheat on Rye II, which is also almost gone.

Restaurant man
06-22-2012, 23:09
Had a fistfull of 2011 stagg. Now I'm gonna eat a pile of broken glass and dance in the moonlight till the wife calls me in!:bowdown:

Tony
06-23-2012, 06:33
Pappy 23 and some PBH 2010 wheated last night, Great night.

Best regards, Tony

jcg9779
06-23-2012, 16:36
A couple pours of Bowman 14 year and ND Old Taylor 6/86 tonight.

jcg9779
06-23-2012, 17:52
Now moved on to some WTKS Smooth Dark Top from 2002. This is some dark bourbon with that great Turkey profile, and I'm getting some dark chocolate out of this one tonight.

DaveOfAtl
06-24-2012, 07:11
After spending the last two weeks in Italy drinking wine, I decided that some special pours were in order. Opened a bottle of 2011 PVW 15, which I thought was outstanding. Also opened a Four Roses limited edition Kentucky Derby OESV (10 years, 8 months), which was excellently spicy. Good to be home.

Halifax
06-24-2012, 08:41
Now moved on to some WTKS Smooth Dark Top from 2002. This is some dark bourbon with that great Turkey profile, and I'm getting some dark chocolate out of this one tonight.

Those smooth dark tops from 02/03 are my favorites. Dark whiskey for sure.

MrAtomic
06-24-2012, 10:33
When I lived somewhere with an actual climate, during warm weather I'd stuff a bottle of 100 proof VOB or white label HH in the freezer. I really like both of these bourbons chilled. Hell, I still do the same thing even though I live in climate-controlled Southern California. This year it's VOB.

jcg9779
06-24-2012, 11:18
Those smooth dark tops from 02/03 are my favorites. Dark whiskey for sure.

There was one little country store that had the darkest WTKS that I've ever seen (it was a smooth dark top). The only reason that it didn't walk out the door with me was that it was $70 plus tax.

Flyfish
06-24-2012, 11:27
When I lived somewhere with an actual climate, during warm weather I'd stuff a bottle of 100 proof VOB or white label HH in the freezer. I really like both of these bourbons chilled. Hell, I still do the same thing even though I live in climate-controlled Southern California. This year it's VOB.

A few years back, our tour guide at FR suggested a slightly more subtle alternative to summertime bourbon on the rocks or in the freezer: Keep your glass in the freezer. It cools the drink just slightly the way a fine red wine is cooled in a cellar, not really at "room temperature." In addition, the frosty condensate on the inside surface of the glass contributes the merest drop of non-chlorinated water to help open up the nose.

MrAtomic
06-24-2012, 12:54
A few years back, our tour guide at FR suggested a slightly more subtle alternative to summertime bourbon on the rocks or in the freezer: Keep your glass in the freezer. It cools the drink just slightly the way a fine red wine is cooled in a cellar, not really at "room temperature." In addition, the frosty condensate on the inside surface of the glass contributes the merest drop of non-chlorinated water to help open up the nose.

Flyfish,

Thanks very much for the tip. I'm off to put a glass in the freezer and will report back.

T Comp
06-24-2012, 13:00
If the young'uns ever discover the deliciousness of a slow sipped shot from a freezer bottle of 6 year HH bottled in bond, Jager would quickly disappear from their scene.

darylld911
06-24-2012, 16:03
If the young'uns ever discover the deliciousness of a slow sipped shot from a freezer bottle of 6 year HH bottled in bond, Jager would quickly disappear from their scene.

But as long as it takes for supply to catch up with demand, let's hope that doesn't happen ;)

Tonight I'm enjoying some ORVW 10 yr 90 with a little Toasted Almond gelato on the side - cheers!

cigarnv
06-24-2012, 16:48
Giving the new Bowman 17yo another try. At 147.5 it is a scorcher that IMO is not near drinkable at CS. Water seems to bring out wood and subdue the sweetness... Possibly some more time but not sure if this will be worth chasing.... Try again in a day or two"...

passthebourbon
06-24-2012, 19:39
Sipping on some WT Russell Reserve 10 in a new Glen Cairn glass. Really great value pour.

The Boozer
06-24-2012, 19:53
Sitting on the beach around a nice campfire in Northern Michigan. Enjoying a Camacho SLR #4 maduro with a glass of Pappy 15yr.
Life is good.

mosugoji64
06-24-2012, 20:44
A couple of healthy pours of Bmac's Wheated Wonderland. It's the last the bottle and really hitting the spot. May have to whip up another batch!

Restaurant man
06-24-2012, 21:30
Non chill filtered Elijah Craig 12 (party source bottling). I'll be tasting another private bottling soon and anted something to compare against. Not us ually a huge ec12 fan but this stuff is really really nice. Lots of nice fruit I don't usually get from the regular bottling and not as much earth and wood. :grin:

Kyjd75
06-25-2012, 00:42
Working on a bottle of Baker's. I am always impressed with this pour, and surprised it doesn't get more attention than it does. I am a definite Baker's fan.

boss302
06-25-2012, 00:49
Drank several drams of Michter's Unblended Whiskey. Then moving on to OGD 114, which is, now, the ONLY Beam product I will consciously spend money on (they make quality stuff, but, IMHO, most of it is overpriced and overly-sweet and too "filtered"). Might finish off with some Black Maple Hill before bed.

Young Blacksmith
06-25-2012, 05:45
A little 4R1B, then ND OGD 86, and finally some UD OC 10. This OC is opening nicely, first pour out of the bottle was heavenly, second was like swigging b vitamins :(. Last night's was pretty good though.

MyOldKyDram
06-25-2012, 17:59
Having a visit with that bottle of Town Branch in the back of the cupboard.

Wont be staying long.

ISU_grad
06-25-2012, 19:37
Enjoying some 2010 FR SmB

jcg9779
06-25-2012, 21:26
SB Blend and then ETL 15.

mosugoji64
06-25-2012, 21:32
EW 1783. It's the only HH I've had with a delightful hit of corn husk on the palate. This bottle is a bit older and I'm wondering how it compares with the new "Small Batch" version.

KYPayne
06-25-2012, 21:40
OWA. I never really experience wheated bourbon except for MM (which I despise). I like the roundness of wheat, but I still prefer the bite of rye. OWA for me is like the middle ground between a Speyside malt and a rye heavy boubon.

AaronWF
06-26-2012, 11:37
I've been jumping all over the place recently. With the exception of a CEHT Tornado and '08 FR Mariage, I have not been particularly thrilled with many of the bourbons I have open. I have a Michter's 10yo 1B that is dull and an SB blend that is a bit richer but still dull to me. I have an OGD 114 that I like, actually, but I prefer to drink it fast; just seems to be made for that kind of consumption. I have an EC18 that is decent, but not particularly attractive, and Vintage 21 bourbon that tastes unequivocally like over-wooded EC18 with diminished character. I'm having a hard time getting through it.

I have two excellent bottom-shelfers open that I'm pretty pleased with: VOB BiB and HH6yo BiB. They both have an old-school taste to them, with the HH accenting the thick corn side of the HH profile without getting too grassy, and the VOB emphasizing earthy fruits like potato and onion flowers (ha, that's the first time I've used potatoes and onions to describe a bourbon!). I guess I've been a bit impatient with the simple pleasures of these bottles.

My bottle of 2012 FRLE1B has died on the branch, unfortunately, with the last 1/3 of the bottle having completely lost what was previously a supple finish, so last night I opened up a Binny's OBSV. If all I had to drink was FR, I'd never be lonely.

CoMobourbon
06-26-2012, 15:19
I've been jumping all over the place recently. With the exception of a CEHT Tornado and '08 FR Mariage, I have not been particularly thrilled with many of the bourbons I have open. I have a Michter's 10yo 1B that is dull and an SB blend that is a bit richer but still dull to me. I have an OGD 114 that I like, actually, but I prefer to drink it fast; just seems to be made for that kind of consumption. I have an EC18 that is decent, but not particularly attractive, and Vintage 21 bourbon that tastes unequivocally like over-wooded EC18 with diminished character. I'm having a hard time getting through it.

I have two excellent bottom-shelfers open that I'm pretty pleased with...

My bottle of 2012 FRLE1B has died on the branch, unfortunately, with the last 1/3 of the bottle having completely lost what was previously a supple finish, so last night I opened up a Binny's OBSV.

So when you say that these bottles disappoint you, does that mean that they are not enjoyable in absolute terms? Or does it just mean that they didn't meet the standards that you have come to expect from them?

(If the former, this would be really funny for obvious reasons, especially if you're digging the bottom-shelfers.)

AaronWF
06-26-2012, 15:37
So when you say that these bottles disappoint you, does that mean that they are not enjoyable in absolute terms? Or does it just mean that they didn't meet the standards that you have come to expect from them?

(If the former, this would be really funny for obvious reasons, especially if you're digging the bottom-shelfers.)

First of all, I didn't say anything about being disappointed, though I suppose it's an apt enough assumption. I think what I was really getting at is that I've been a little frustrated with the level of enjoyment I'm getting out of the bourbon I have open, notably the Michter's, EC18, V21 and SB blend, especially compared to the rye and scotch I have open. I also discovered, however, in the course of my post that I am getting the most pleasure out of my book-ended bourbons: CEHT Tornado and '08 Mariage on the top and VOB and HH on the bottom. I like the OGD114 too, but it's not something I reach for when I want to be taken away by flavor.

I like the bourbon I drink to 'take me away' flavor-wise, and with so many humdrum bottles open, this will force me to drink my delectables faster than I'd like. I'd rather finish the uninspiring choices before the ones I'm getting more enjoyment out of, but I'm uncomfortable with drinking uninspiring juice just to make room in the cabinet for something better!

There's no such thing as enjoying bourbon in absolute terms.

CoMobourbon
06-26-2012, 15:58

First of all, I didn't say anything about being disappointed, though I suppose it's an apt enough assumption. I think what I was really getting at is that I've been a little frustrated with the level of enjoyment I'm getting out of the bourbon I have open, notably the Michter's, EC18, V21 and SB blend, especially compared to the rye and scotch I have open. I also discovered, however, in the course of my post that I am getting the most pleasure out of my book-ended bourbons: CEHT Tornado and '08 Mariage on the top and VOB and HH on the bottom. I like the OGD114 too, but it's not something I reach for when I want to be taken away by flavor.

I like the bourbon I drink to 'take me away' flavor-wise, and with so many humdrum bottles open, this will force me to drink my delectables faster than I'd like. I'd rather finish the uninspiring choices before the ones I'm getting more enjoyment out of, but I'm uncomfortable with drinking uninspiring juice just to make room in the cabinet for something better!

There's no such thing as enjoying bourbon in absolute terms.

So, pretty much the latter condition in my post. ("Absolute terms" here does not mean "objective terms" but rather provides opposition to "does(n't) meet expectations [as in 'man, that bourbon was bad!' versus 'man, that bourbon did not meet my expectations!'].)

But yeah, that totally sucks. Really, your situation seems like a specific case of a universal quandary in bourbon consumption: 'I drink what I like most fastest, but that means I will have to drink a whole bunch of my less-than-favorites for a long time latter. The only way out is to open and drink one bottle at a time, but who the f---does that?'

hectic1
06-26-2012, 18:22
Bowman 14yr SB that is showing loads of dark chocolate tonight...really enjoying this one tonight! Isn't it great when you can find a bourbon that just suites your mood?

MyOldKyDram
06-26-2012, 18:43
Blanton's and especially enjoying it tonight for whatever reason.

BFerguson
06-26-2012, 19:52
Willet Pot still to end the night. I'm finding this one in particular to be a rather soft, and buttery whiskey. It was purchased some years back, maybe around when it first came out, so i'm sure that it is not the same as what is currently available.

My brain keeps saying to me that it is almost somewhat "scotchy" in taste. Weird thing is that I happen to like this bottle, but generally am not a fan of things "scotch".

Dam brain! :smiley_acbt:

B

Max Power
06-27-2012, 07:47
Blanton's and especially enjoying it tonight for whatever reason.

It must have been a Blanton's kind of night last night. I had that and some Hirsch Small Batch. Both good for different reasons.

Clavius
06-27-2012, 17:34
Killing off a bottle of ORVW 10/107 tonight. Damn good stuff. Good thing I have another unopened bottle in my "bunker."

Tony
06-27-2012, 18:08
an Elijah Craig bottled for the local store. Not bad.

Best regards, Tony

Happyhour24x7
06-27-2012, 18:41
Hanging with Elmer T. lee tonight on the deck.

yountvillewjs
06-27-2012, 18:51
SB for Kenwood Liquors. Although I have been told the recipe, I've forgotten.

OBSV -- my first time with this recipe that I can recall. No discernable heat, a slight bit of barrel in the midpalate, spicy, red fruit in the long finish. Hard to imagine there are many bourbons that are better at the $30-ish price point. Full of win, opened over the weekend, will almost certainly be the next to hit recycling.

Moral of the story - no one does it better, more consistently than 4R.

rutterb
06-27-2012, 19:02
moments away from vintage 17

hectic1
06-27-2012, 19:18
Bowman 18yr Gift Shop release @107pr tonight...this hands down is my favorite Bowman pour...it's magical at this proof!

unclebunk
06-27-2012, 19:31
Hit the '08 WLW pretty good tonight. It'll probably hit back in the morning but it sure tasted great with a few ice cubes on a hot summer night here in Chicago.

Young Blacksmith
06-27-2012, 20:15
A little Weller 12 silver label on this nice evening. Frozen glass, no ice.

Bourbon Boiler
06-27-2012, 20:50
Had a pour of 1792 at St. Elmo's in Indy along with probably what is the best steak I've ever had. Went to a show, then a finger of Blanton's before bed.

Roc-A-Fella_1
06-28-2012, 00:56
Enjoyed a pour of JPS 18 to cap a dinner with some friends.

cigarnv
06-28-2012, 03:50
ETL 15YO from SV ..... one of the best in the ETL lineup...

White Dog
06-28-2012, 09:00
At this moment a pre-lunch splash of FR1BLE 2009, with a few drops of water. Yum.

dridge11
06-28-2012, 10:23
OBSV -- my first time with this recipe that I can recall.

I think my Beltramo's bottle we've been sipping on is 100pf OBSV also.

TradingBoiler
06-28-2012, 10:36
Had my first sip of Dry Fly Bourbon last night to celebrate the turning of a new decade. Had a big steak at Mortons and finished it off with a pour of Elijah Craig 20 year. All in all a good way to ring in the dirty thirties.

unclebunk
06-28-2012, 11:39
Had a fabulous glass of ER10/90 last night, followed by some ER10/101 from my rapidly-dwindling supply of same. I'll sure be bummed when the last bottle of the latter is gone.

Flyfish
06-28-2012, 16:11
I have worked my way through about two thirds of a TPS EC18 (#3823 barreled on 8/7/90). And, frankly, it has been work. Not nearly as satisfying as my previous experience with EC18. Today, as usual, I started neat and then added just a touch of water. Then, just because it is 102 degrees, I tried it on the rocks--something I rarely do with "good" bourbon. At last! That's the secret. It became richer and creamier, much better mouthfeel and the char was reduced to a more acceptable level.

passthebourbon
06-28-2012, 16:35
Leached off the company and ordered some Macallan 12 AND Johnnie Walker Blue. Not a scotch guy.

Will never pay $160+ for a bottle of JWB.

I know this is a bourbon site, but the bar was limited and this was the best they had. Was such a big letdown. Who shells out this kind of money for this stuff?

jcg9779
06-28-2012, 17:03
Some Bowman 14yr tonight....really hitting the spot.

smokinjoe
06-28-2012, 19:21
Maker's at Lou Malnati's, and Baker's here back at the hotel. This, after a few beers, and after a round of golf in 100+ degree temps, should make for a nice sleepy tonight.

BFerguson
06-28-2012, 19:38
Pouring some JPS 18yr-batch 14 tonight. It's still very early in the bottle, and need to set it aside for some air time to open, but the first two glasses have been very nice. Little wood heavy compared to what has been open lately on the bar, but not something I mind at all. Good to mix it up.

B

Tico
06-28-2012, 19:44
Pouring some JPS 18yr-batch 14 tonight. It's still very early in the bottle, and need to set it aside for some air time to open, but the first two glasses have been very nice. Little wood heavy compared to what has been open lately on the bar, but not something I mind at all. Good to mix it up.

B
It gets better with air. My batch 14 was killer the first day or two then got really woody. Four weeks later and some of the upfront wood has subsided leaving behind a very nice drink.

jcg9779
06-28-2012, 20:50
On to some ER 10/101 Lawrenceburg now.

yountvillewjs
06-29-2012, 10:43
2012 4RSBLE -- this stuff is delicious. My first time with this bottling, but not my last. Glad to have a back-up already in the bunker.

dridge11
06-29-2012, 11:01
2012 4RSBLE -- this stuff is delicious. My first time with this bottling, but not my last. Glad to have a back-up already in the bunker.

That was some tasty stuff, thanks for popping a bottle so quickly. First experience with an "OE" recipe, still haven't found a 4R I dislike.

TradingBoiler
06-29-2012, 12:09
Had two Sazerac's last night with Templeton Rye. Great summer drink!

smokinjoe
06-29-2012, 15:09
If only all weeks could be this good at the office. In baseball parlance, I'm seeing the ball good (baseball players don't say "well" :D) and hitting to all fields with power. Seems fitting to hit the WT Tribute. Without question, the best of the WT one-offs, IMHO.

CoMobourbon
06-29-2012, 16:20
104 in mid-Missouri today, and this afternoon was my only chance to mow the lawn this week. OGD 114 with an ice cube should re-hydrate me just fine, right?

Bourbon Boiler
06-29-2012, 18:31
Turkey 101 tonight. Back to Basics for a while.

ISU_grad
06-29-2012, 19:33
Opened a bottle of Blanton's single barrel here.

BFerguson
06-29-2012, 19:34
Just a simple pour of some Mellow Corn tonight. Nothing special, but satisfying.

B

BMartin42
06-29-2012, 19:55
ETL. It always hits a sweet spot for me.

Young Blacksmith
06-29-2012, 20:38
EWB/EC12/EWSB mix.

jcg9779
06-29-2012, 21:17
Taylor Tornado after a little visit to the dark side tonight.

Tico
06-29-2012, 21:54
OWA 107 after a few beers

Master_Photog
06-30-2012, 03:45
http://www.cs2photography.com/i5.jpg

Special Reserve
06-30-2012, 05:50
http://www.cs2photography.com/i5.jpg

A very nice choice!

unclebunk
06-30-2012, 06:23
A friend dropped by unexpectedly last night with a bottle of Blanton's which was a nice surprise. We had a few pours and both felt this bottle was better than the last we had purchased, though it was so damned hot outside I had to throw an ice cube in the glass which I rarely ever do. Very tasty and refreshing!

rutterb
06-30-2012, 08:11
had wt101 last night. very good with a splash of water.

awachatz
06-30-2012, 18:37
Some 2009 OFBB. Nothing to get excited about.

Sent fro m my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jcg9779
06-30-2012, 21:34
I enjoyed a small pour of ND OT 6/86 this evening.

Restaurant man
06-30-2012, 22:14
Nice pour of parkers heritage 27 year. been open for a year or so. its lovely stuff

White Dog
07-01-2012, 10:09
Just cracked a Willett 5yr Bourbon at 117proof for $42. Barrel#1583. Very sweet up front, in a good way.

smokinjoe
07-01-2012, 17:19
SB Blend, tonight. Tinkering with my formula, and going a touch less on the OWA due to the temps. Bit-O-Ice, too. The McScrooge's PB of the OWA I'm using is so thick, rich and sweet, that I may have to turn it down even more on the next go 'round. McScrooge's can nail the honey barrels, for sure.

Clavius
07-01-2012, 19:03
Just poured some Vintage 17 over a glass full of ice. A few weeks after opening this bottle and it seems to be coming together nicely. Not quite PVW, but reasonably close for a 17 year old bourbon. Good stuff, imho. Glad I have a bottle in the "bunker" as it is supposed to be disappearing.

MyOldKyDram
07-01-2012, 19:16
Capping off my night with a healthy pour of AAA 10.

T Comp
07-01-2012, 20:23
The heat says stay inside in the air and go with some of your under 100 proofers. AAA, Bowman Brothers single barrel and prefire EC 12 which all hit the spot. The EC 12 had a lot of the same tastes as the overripe and delicious peach I had this morning.

sob0728
07-02-2012, 05:42
I had a bit of WT Tradition at a bar on Friday night. Very good, I thought it was soft and creamy upfront and had a very nice signature wild turkey finish. Don't know if I would pay $100 for a bottle, but I thought it was an excellent pour.

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-03-2012, 02:32
Got to try Pappy 23 for the first time tonight as a buddy of mine brought his bottle over for dinner and gave it to me at the end of the night:grin:

smokinjoe
07-03-2012, 17:41
This pour in my glass tonight puts me half way through this bottle of Jim Beam 7 yr White Label, and it continues to impress. This is very fine whiskey. There is no doubt in my mind that I will replace it once it is empty.

BourbonJoe
07-03-2012, 17:47
This pour in my glass tonight puts me half way through this bottle of Jim Beam 7 yr White Label, and it continues to impress. This is very fine whiskey. There is no doubt in my mind that I will replace it once it is empty.

BEAM WHITE ?? :rolleyes:
Joe :usflag:

smokinjoe
07-03-2012, 17:55
BEAM WHITE ?? :rolleyes:
Joe :usflag:

Yes Joe, Beam White 7 yr. I have enjoyed this bottle thoroughly.

HP12
07-03-2012, 17:56
Just finished a flight of Balcones samples. The Brimstone was best in show IMHO. Tasty smoked malt from TX! Yum.

MyOldKyDram
07-03-2012, 18:05
Busting open the Four Roses 1B 2012 LE.

ChainWhip
07-03-2012, 18:07
Just finished a flight of Balcones samples. The Brimstone was best in show IMHO. Tasty smoked malt from TX! Yum.

I had a some and I kept getting dried goji berries from that Brimstone (hearkens back to Chinese medicine flavors)... It's weird how my childhood keeps cropping up in my whisky experiences.

BillP
07-03-2012, 19:15
A very nice OWA 107. Ready to buy another one.

Clavius
07-03-2012, 19:46
Eagle Rare! It's tasting pretty good too.

JayMonster
07-03-2012, 21:00
Giving 'em the bird tonight. Rare Breed {{gasp}} on ice... That' s nice.

T Comp
07-03-2012, 22:05
Of the several different small pours I had tonight the Louisville labeled Special Reserve (bottled in '95) reminded me again that bourbon from DSP-KY-16, even at its end, was still awfully good. With its younger age and lower proof it still has hints of the sweet nut and cognac type taste that is then developed further in the exquisite Van Winkle bottling's. Back at the altar and bowing for this night :grin:.

darylld911
07-04-2012, 05:59
Taking advantage of my dad's stash to try several I just haven't gotten to yet. Had a little OGD BIB last night and some Baby Saz the night before (which I wasn't crazy about - would prefer Willet 4yo or Russels Reserve 6yr Rye over that). Looking forward to trying some Bowman tonight (but don't recall which one!)

Gillman
07-04-2012, 07:24
[QUOTE= ...it still has hints of the sweet nut and cognac type taste that is then developed further in the exquisite Van Winkle bottling's [/QUOTE]

Excellent summation of the special qualities of D.S.P. 16 bourbon and the current Van Winkle line! While the family since the 80's have concentrated on bourbons 10 years and older, there is a definite continuum of flavor, IMO as well.

Gary

Flyfish
07-04-2012, 15:51
Had family over the celebrate the 4th with some baby backs. My son-in-law brought some Red's Rye P. A. ("Ale hopped and brewed with rye"). So I dragged out the Bulleit Rye and the WT101R to have with. Made a very interesting variation on the Boilermakers much favored by my father-in-law and uncle in the Good Old Days when we used to go out to the root cellar on the family farm to bend our elbows.
Later, some OWA for dessert. Just love that stuff! (And miss the old guys, gone several years now.)
But, let's not get maudlin, ladies and gentleman. Happy 4th to all of you--especially the vets.

smokinjoe
07-04-2012, 16:46
In celebration of completing my 25th consecutive Peachtree Road Race 10K earlier today (faster than last year!!!--uh, that didn't take much...:D), and getting ready for the fireworks, I'm settling in with an SS OCPR. I adore this bourbon. :yum:

soad
07-04-2012, 17:20
In celebration of completing my 25th consecutive Peachtree Road Race 10K earlier today (faster than last year!!!--uh, that didn't take much...:D), and getting ready for the fireworks, I'm settling in with an SS OCPR. I adore this bourbon. :yum:

Isn't anything better than celebrating a long run with a fine whiskey. Celebrated a 17 mile trail run last week with the last of my ORVW 10/107. Today, I sat on my butt and am drinking RITT.

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-04-2012, 18:21
Enjoying the last pour from a bottle of Vintage 17 while grilling some chicken and ribs.

JayMonster
07-04-2012, 19:35
Since there is no alcoholic beverage that is more American than Bourbon, and I thought it should be a banner bourbon day. Started out with some Rare Breed in the grand 4th of July traditional and of giving England the bird. Moved on to some Mark while tending to the grill. Moved on to some OWA as the sun set and temperatures finally dropped below 90, and now I am capping the night off with some FRSB.

BFerguson
07-04-2012, 19:51
Pour of Lot B for the night. Simply a fine bourbon for any occasion.

B

Bourbon Boiler
07-04-2012, 19:57
A very modest pour of Blanton's tonight before bad.

ISU_grad
07-04-2012, 20:27
2007 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon

jcg9779
07-04-2012, 21:14
Enjoyed some PVW23 with my dad and brother while watching fireworks and then we had some PVW20 as a night cap. The PVW23 was definitely the winner.

Martian
07-05-2012, 11:15
Charter 101 over ice in the Texas heat. For some reason I'm liking this bottle more than the one I tried a year ago.

OscarV
07-05-2012, 13:41
Bourbon?
Why would you assume I'm drinking bourbon?

OscarV
07-05-2012, 13:45
Charter 101 over ice in the Texas heat. For some reason I'm liking this bottle more than the one I tried a year ago.

Slow down Cowboy,...whoa,... remember that a good Texan rides mountain bikes and cuts down the switchgrass and refrains from all alcohol. :grin:or :cool: or :lol: or:slappin:

fishnbowljoe
07-05-2012, 14:20
I'm having a pour of Very Rare Old Heaven Hill, 8 yr old 86 proof. This bourbon surprised me a little bit. When I first opened this bottle, I thought it was just so-so. Since then, it's opened up a lot. It's really hitting the spot on this extremely hot day. :yum: Cheers! Joe

sutton
07-05-2012, 15:41
A vatting of ORVW 10/107 and Weller 12 - w/ an ice cube. Finished off the two bottles, and the ice was just to cool it a bit. Although I like both ORVW and Weller on their own, I think I actually liked this better (or after a bad day at work, this just hit the spot.)

BigRich
07-05-2012, 15:52
Last night was a little PVW 15 followed by an '09 Stagg

MyOldKyDram
07-05-2012, 16:24
11 yo Willett # 372.

BMartin42
07-05-2012, 16:53
WTRB. Usually one I like, but tonight it is rough on the palate.

Phil T
07-05-2012, 17:15
Started out with some refrigerated HH BIB 6yr, still not sure if this is an everyday pour. Then some EC 12, of the few bottles I've had, this one is the same, just ok. The last pour is some TPS FRSB, this one always hits the spot.

Max Power
07-05-2012, 17:31
I'm not drinking it, but the wife and I made Bourbon ice cream with EC12 last night. It was pretty damn good. I just would have preferred the ice cream be higher proof.

MyOldKyDram
07-05-2012, 17:48
That's when you make a bourbon syrup to go on top.

ggilbertva
07-06-2012, 11:38
Pulled out a 1978 WT 86.8. Not as complex or compelling as the 101, but a good pour nonetheless.

unclebunk
07-06-2012, 12:28
Dixie Dew to accompany a bluegrass session I had in my music room last night. Nice stuff!

sutton
07-06-2012, 12:45
The last bit of BMH Small Batch (20%) vatted with some WT101 Rye (80%) and a couple of ice cubes - plenty of rye punch but not as dry on the finish and a bit rounder in the mouth. Nice way to end the week and start the weekend. I won't be replacing the BMH, just not my thing - I might have finished the bottle earlier if I had thought about giving it a bit more rye earlier. It goes nicely with the WT101 Rye.

Scrub
07-06-2012, 15:49
Remainders of anything that cost me less than $20 for the bottle with ice and ginger ale.

passthebourbon
07-06-2012, 19:12
Some JPS 18, batch 16. Love this stuff

Ejmharris
07-06-2012, 19:38
Taylor Tornado tonight. Hitting the right spot this evening.

Clavius
07-06-2012, 20:03
Starting out with some Vintage 17 tonight. Got one bottle open and one in the bunker.

hectic1
07-06-2012, 20:20
FR OESF and OBSF SB's...

smokinjoe
07-06-2012, 20:48
The highlight of my evening has been the PHC Cask Strength 122.6. A terrific whiskey, and probably my favorite barrel strength bourbon after GTS. But, on any given evening...

Kalessin
07-06-2012, 21:35
A pour ORVW 10/107 with two cubes of ice because it's rather hot and humid.

This bottle lives at my parents' house; I help keep the liquor cabinet stocked, and so dropped the bottle in so it can get "air time" between visits. I'm the only regular whiskey drinker, so this experiment could go on for a while. It's not bad at all, the flavor does seem to be improving, but I'm still not totally blown away by it. I'll report back on it in a month or two.

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-06-2012, 22:40
Enjoying some Weller 12. I really need to go get some OWA so I can try the famous SB blend.

cigarnv
07-07-2012, 03:29
Four Roses OESF single barrel at cask strength 122.0 proof. Great bottle from Jim Rutledge that shows just how good his F yeast offerings can be when left to age for close to 10 years. At 8 years the F yeast was IMO a very marginal drinker... amazing what a few years can do...

Bourbon Boiler
07-07-2012, 19:44
TPS private barrel of 1792 again this evening. 40+ open bottles in the cabinet, many at 5x the price, but I never seem to go too long without this one.

darylld911
07-08-2012, 05:09
Last night enjoyed a dram of Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star that I picked up in Michigan (one of my favs for $16 or less!) Also gave Blanton's another shot as my first taste of that was underwhelming (but was in a bar, so not a great environment). Much better this time around, although not sure I'll pay twice what ETL runs for it.

Tucker
07-08-2012, 06:11
K&L selection 1792 last night. A fine summer sipper.

deathevocation
07-08-2012, 06:12
No bourbon tonight. Dickel 12. Just had it back to back with Old Number 7 too, destroys it.

unclebunk
07-08-2012, 07:02
Two nice pours of Old Fitz BIB with a cube of ice yesterday afternoon to help with the intense heat which finally subsided as the sun began to set. Been a while since I've had any OF and it tasted quite good.

wmpevans
07-08-2012, 07:30
TPS private barrel of 1792 again this evening. 40+ open bottles in the cabinet, many at 5x the price, but I never seem to go too long without this one.uv

+1.

Luv this bottle. Too bad TPS is out of this as I only have one in bunker.

Flyfish
07-08-2012, 15:26
OGD BIB followed by some OGD 114. Probably should have done it the other way around.

Tico
07-08-2012, 15:33
Went on a wheater tear last night.

SB Blend
JPS 18yr batch #14
WLW 10'

clingman71
07-08-2012, 18:58
With the recent heat wave, I've been drinking beer almost exclusively. But tonight it has cooled down a bit, nice breeze as well. I poured lot B with a splash. Oh I've missed you bourbon. Nose is especially good tonight on this. Mouthfeel is silky and buttery, rich caramel goodness.

Smithford
07-08-2012, 19:45
Downtown Toronto. On my tiny deck, in my tiny back yard. The chiminea is burning hot, with some Irish Peat smouldering on top.

I've got Weller 12 in the Glencairn. My first bottle of this fine nectar was opened last night, and is already at a shockingly low level.

I'm a convert. Thanks to you all. :cool: :toast:

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-08-2012, 20:31
Went on a wheater tear last night.

SB Blend
JPS 18yr batch #14
WLW 10'
How did the SB blend stack up against the other two?

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-08-2012, 22:53
Enjoying some 2010 OFBB as the weekend comes to a close.

ggilbertva
07-09-2012, 06:38
Added some new bottles to the bunker and enjoyed a FR OESF which exhibited big fruit profile and two new OWA SB selections.

cigarnv
07-09-2012, 16:49
Added some new bottles to the bunker and enjoyed a FR OESF which exhibited big fruit profile and two new OWA SB selections.

The F yeast was just not doing justice to Four Roses at 8 years of age..... At 10 years it is amazing....

OscarV
07-09-2012, 16:54
Sippin' on some 2010 Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, neat, (can't be beat)

MyOldKyDram
07-09-2012, 17:07
Weller 12 for me and the Mrs. tonight followed by some AAA 10, I think.

ISU_grad
07-09-2012, 20:00
Enjoying some '08 Sazerac

Clavius
07-09-2012, 20:28
Regular ol' Eagle Rare tonight. Just about done with this bottle and I thought it was pretty darn good.

Halifax
07-10-2012, 05:55
Regular ol' Eagle Rare tonight. Just about done with this bottle and I thought it was pretty darn good.

I recently went thru a bottle of the current iteration of ER. It was darn tasty. I wish BT would put a barrel number on their bottles.

unclebunk
07-10-2012, 09:25
Enjoyed some OCPR while watching the Home Run Derby last night. Oddly, my buddy was completely unimpressed with it, so more went down my hatch than expected.

Max Power
07-10-2012, 18:04
I had some Bulleit last night. It's a nice reliable pour for $19.

ebo
07-10-2012, 18:11
A healthy pour of WTRB to start the evening. Probably end with a pour of KC Rye.

MyOldKyDram
07-10-2012, 18:47
4R YL and green tea mochi.

Better than it may sound.

BFerguson
07-10-2012, 19:27
Local store bottle of EC 12yr. Sadly, it will probably not live up to a great pour of Dickel 12 last night. Months of neglect in the back of the cabinet sure did it good.

B

jcg9779
07-10-2012, 20:09
A bottle of FRSB OBSF - really good with a little bit of water to open it up. I had stayed away from the F yeast in the past, but this bottle is delicious.

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-10-2012, 22:16
Sipping on some FRSB OESK while sitting outside on the deck.

unclebunk
07-11-2012, 06:30
Still trying to knock off the remaining contents of a 1.75ml bottle of OF Signature to make room in the liquor cabinet. Managed to put a death blow on it last night with the help of a few friends who stopped by to watch the All-Star Game. Unfortunately, I was saddled with some shitty beer but the OFS tasted just fine.

unclebunk
07-11-2012, 06:34
Local store bottle of EC 12yr. Sadly, it will probably not live up to a great pour of Dickel 12 last night. Months of neglect in the back of the cabinet sure did it good.

B

Maybe you'll be surprised and the EC12 will be terrific like my current bottle. Funny how I could hardly ever find Dickel 12 around here and now there's an absolute glut of the stuff in my local liqour stores. I may have to pick up another bottle--it made for a nice easy sipper.

clingman71
07-11-2012, 07:59
I sometimes go through moods or phases where I want a pour, but can't decide, nothing "speaking" to me. On these occasions I have Karen pick something for me. So last night we go through this ritual and she picked an SB blend. This bottle is the remains of an early vatting, probably last fall. 2ish oz in a Riedel bourbon glass with a splash, ten or so minutes airing. The nose was amazing, rich and heavy, sweet and bold. The flavor didn't exactly match the nose. It had the caramel-brown sugar-vanilla that you'd expect, but the dominate trait last night was fruit. Once I was drinking it the nose and flavors meshed, the bold fruit gave way to a comparatively subdued brown sugar finish. This was hands down the best pour of SB blend I've had to date.

Max Power
07-11-2012, 12:39
I had some OGD 114 last night. It seemed a bit oakey on the finish...at least more than I remembered. Maybe I'll have to break out something really good tonight.

darylld911
07-11-2012, 13:33
Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . . an hour ago? Reminds me of a slightly mellow Stagg (not that "mellow" is a descriptor I typically care for in a dram!) A warm hug of vanilla, toffee and caramel with subtle spice . . . :grin: Happy Wednesday!

OscarV
07-11-2012, 13:46
Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . .

CEHT?!? what does that stand for?

Ejmharris
07-11-2012, 13:49
CEHT?!? what does that stand for?

Colonel E.H. Taylor

jcg9779
07-11-2012, 14:00
Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . . an hour ago? Reminds me of a slightly mellow Stagg (not that "mellow" is a descriptor I typically care for in a dram!) A warm hug of vanilla, toffee and caramel with subtle spice . . . :grin: Happy Wednesday!

That would be a great bottle for you to bring on Friday!

DaveOfAtl
07-11-2012, 14:40
I second that motion. Has this hit Atlanta yet?

Tucker
07-11-2012, 15:45
I second that motion. Has this hit Atlanta yet?

Yes. Saw a few today during my weekly lunchtime reconnaissance.

darylld911
07-11-2012, 17:32

I was thinking the same thing. I picked it up at Tower off Piedmont, which isn't one of my normal stops. The guy said he had just received A six pack (and he emphasized the "A" as he wasn't sure if he would get another - and unlike the BTAC or PVW, there was no waiting list). I honestly haven't looked anywhere else for it though.

yountvillewjs
07-11-2012, 17:50
2012 4RLESB - my bourbon of the year (so far). Fruit, cinnamon, nary a stitch of heat, great mouthfeel - nothing missing.

ChainWhip
07-11-2012, 17:53
FRSB - barrel selection by Clearview Spirits in SnoHo

jcg9779
07-11-2012, 18:17
OWA Single Barrel to start the evening followed by JPRS 18. Sticking with wheaters tonight, I think.

MyOldKyDram
07-11-2012, 18:21
High rollin' with VOB BiB.

jcg9779
07-11-2012, 18:38
OWA Single Barrel to start the evening followed by JPRS 18. Sticking with wheaters tonight, I think.

Yep...wheater night. Old Fitz BIB (1991) is next, thanks to a very generous SB.com member!

nivto
07-11-2012, 18:55
FRSB - barrel selection by Clearview Spirits in SnoHo

Is that the OESO? How are you enjoying it?

White Dog
07-11-2012, 19:18
"Current" Vintage 17. Gotta grab more of this.

ChainWhip
07-11-2012, 21:18
Is that the OESO? How are you enjoying it?

I think it's the standard OBSV since it didn't specify on the bottle - they picked it out this year a week or two before the Kentucky Derby so it's different than the previous OESO they had picked last year.

I haven't had a chance to do a back2back with the TPS FRSB but plan to when I get back from SLC. Regardless, I like it enough that I'll end up getting another bottle.

fishnbowljoe
07-11-2012, 21:58
My grandson Bryce was born this evening. I'm celebrating with a nice healthy pour of 07 WLW. :grin: Cheers! Joe

ChainWhip
07-11-2012, 22:22
My grandson Bryce was born this evening. I'm celebrating with a nice healthy pour of 07 WLW. :grin: Cheers! Joe

Congrats - that's just awesome!

Max Power
07-11-2012, 22:57

Congrats! I'm celebrating with Michter's Small Batch. This is just good stuff.

jcg9779
07-12-2012, 04:28

Congratulations Joe! Great pour for the celebration!

PaulO
07-12-2012, 05:02
I've never had much luck finding dusties, but thanks to a fellow S.B. member I was able to pick up a few bottles of Old Forester B.I,B. from the late '80s-early '90s. This is the pre-Signature stuff with the paper label. Overall, it reminds me of the Early Times 354 bourbon except at 100 proof. It goes down real easy, no rough edges (doesn't taste like 100 proof). It has a mild Cracker Jack or carmel corn flavor. Also, I'm pleased to announce some stores in Indiana have started to carry Weller 12. So, I've been enjoying some of that too.

smokinjoe
07-12-2012, 06:22

Now I know what was pulling me to reach for the WLW last night.
Cograts, JOE!
:toast:

mosugoji64
07-12-2012, 07:03

That's great news, Joe! I'll raise a glass in honor of your grandson tonight.

White Dog
07-12-2012, 11:59
Congrats Joe! Hell, in your honor I'll have some mid-80's Old Fitz BIB tonight, as if I need an excuse. Cheers!:toast:

OscarV
07-12-2012, 14:01
You do know how to celebrate!
I love that bottle!

savagehenry
07-12-2012, 17:13
Just received my John J Bowman TPS barrel #45. First impressions are very impressive.

Roadsaw
07-12-2012, 20:08

Congrats on the grandson Joe!

Restaurant man
07-12-2012, 20:35
Just received my John J Bowman TPS barrel #45. First impressions are very impressive.

Just tapped my barrel 51. Very nice but I think the 45 is the real winner of the two. Leo congrats to joe on the new grandson. May you have decades together.

Clavius
07-12-2012, 20:49
A little Vintage 17 after a Brick House cigar. Thought the oak in the Vintage might mesh nicely after the cigar.

Kalessin
07-12-2012, 21:27
Mazel Tov to you and the parents of your new grandson, Fishnbowljoe!

Tonight I'm taking it easy, Henry McKenna BiB and ginger ale, with plenty of ice and dash of bitters.

IowaJeff
07-13-2012, 13:42
I cracked open a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 yo. With the green label. I was really impressed! Tough to beat for the price. I'm definitely going to have to pick up some more.

smokinjoe
07-13-2012, 13:48
I cracked open a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 yo. With the green label. I was really impressed! Tough to beat for the price. I'm definitely going to have to pick up some more.

You ain't kiddin' on that. Rob Hutchins of HH recommended that bottling to a group of us during a tour of HH in the Spring. So I, and a few others picked up bottles. Very tasty, indeed! I still like the BIB version better (particularly out of the beer fridge), but the 90 proof is still very good, and unbelievabley inexpensive.

IowaJeff
07-13-2012, 14:37
You ain't kiddin' on that. Rob Hutchins of HH recommended that bottling to a group of us during a tour of HH in the Spring. So I, and a few others picked up bottles. Very tasty, indeed! I still like the BIB version better (particularly out of the beer fridge), but the 90 proof is still very good, and unbelievabley inexpensive.

I'll have to track down the BIB sometime. I really didn't expect it to be much better than EW Black (which I like just fine) but I think it is. It's on par with the regular BT and a few others in that $20 range for me.

petrel800
07-13-2012, 15:23
It's been a tough week, felt I needed something Barrel Strength to unwind a bit. 4 Roses OBSK Party Source Private Selection Barrel 4-2U. Sometimes I feel like I should just quit buying everything else and taking flyers on new stuff and just buy all 10 recipes and just stick to the 4R stuff.

T Comp
07-13-2012, 16:14
I'll have to track down the BIB sometime. I really didn't expect it to be much better than EW Black (which I like just fine) but I think it is. It's on par with the regular BT and a few others in that $20 range for me.

The 6 year BIB is difficult, maybe impossible, to find outside of the central Kentucky area. There was also some talk at the gazebo that this iteration may not be long for this world but talk is cheap :grin:. The 90 proof 6 year green label is a worthy substitute and better than EW Black imo. Less mint and more stone fruit.

c2walker
07-13-2012, 18:20
Just opened a bottle of 8 year old ND OGD BIB and it's really hitting the spot. I'm a fan of the ND 86 proofer too, but this just has a bit more oak and rye spice with toned down butterscotch.

WAINWRIGHT
07-13-2012, 18:32
Just settled in with a bold pour of Vintage 17,some open bottle time on this one made dramatic improvements.A fine pour and a great value for a 17 year wheater.I only now regret passing on so many of these before hearing of their demise.

White Dog
07-13-2012, 19:28
Knockin' down some DD, as I just needed a good maintenance pour, or 3 or 4.

nocoins
07-13-2012, 21:06
Pour and a half of Lot B. Nice whiskey, soft and smooth.

jtexaslonestar
07-14-2012, 07:48
Sat on the porch and enjoyed a healthy pour of PVW15 with my Casa Magna Colorado. Great night for listening to katydids and tree frogs express their gratitude for the rain.

Tony
07-14-2012, 09:37
Today is my youngest son's graduation party, once it is over I am going to relax in the back with a nice cigar and a pour of PHC Cognac bourbon.

Best regards, Tony

George
07-14-2012, 12:08
Enjoying some EC 12.

clingman71
07-14-2012, 18:49
41 on Tuesday, celebrating tonight. Starting with TPS Willett 17 yr wheated, incredible bourbon.

dean_martin
07-14-2012, 19:06
41 on Tuesday, celebrating tonight. Starting with TPS Willett 17 yr wheated, incredible bourbon.
Happy bday! I'm 44 tomorrow. Listening to old 45s and sippin' OCPR slope shoulder.

clingman71
07-14-2012, 19:09
Happy Birthday! I've never had the sloped OCPR. I did gave the square shoulder at Seelbach last fall. I enjoyed it very much.

dean_martin
07-14-2012, 19:35
Happy Birthday! I've never had the sloped OCPR. I did gave the square shoulder at Seelbach last fall. I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks. I found 2 bottles of the slope shoulder in Florida right after I joined SB. I have ab.out 1/3 left in the first bottle. Have plenty. You're always welcome here. I haven't traded or shared samples yet but I could give it a try. PM me to discuss.

Clavius
07-14-2012, 19:42
Working on the last of a bottle of Vintage 17. It's good but it just isn't in the same league as PVW or Stagg, etc.

JayMonster
07-14-2012, 20:25
A little late (me, not the grandson of course), but Congrats on the family addition, may he have a happy and healthy life ahead.

Now, back too the topic at hand, started out the night with some Rare Breed, but since that last pour of the bottle could not outlast my cigar, I have moved on to some Saz 18. No particular rhyme or reason, other than enjoying a nice evening, a good cigar, and some peace and quiet, I felt it was a good time to treat myself to my top shelf.

petrel800
07-14-2012, 21:42
Enjoyed a little EH Taylor Tornado this evening followed by some AAA 10yr TPS. Felt I deserved a reward for figuring out how to set up a N Router behind my UVerse connection. Now I can surf in my living room.

TBC
07-14-2012, 22:03
WLW 2010, a simple double. Pretty much my highlight of the week.

Tico
07-14-2012, 22:38
JPS 18yr SB
GTS 10'
PHC 10yr wheater

It was a good Saturday

Roc-A-Fella_1
07-15-2012, 01:40
Finally tried the SB blend tonight - absolutely delicious! It was blended on Wednesday and brought to a friend's party tonight. The nose was very muted initially. However in an effort to accelerate the melding period, I shook the bottle vigorously a few times a day. I think it helped a great deal as the nose was very expressive tonight. I'm going to have to stock up on OWA and Weller 12 as my friends and I killed the bottle in no time.

Bourbon Boiler
07-15-2012, 19:03
Getting back into a half full bottle of MM 46. It's been on the shelf for 2 years.

smokinjoe
07-15-2012, 19:49
Finishing up the evening by sneaking a gorgeous pour of the Kentucky Derby Museum Four Roses OESV. AT 59.1 ABV, it seems high for the FR Barrel Proofers, but you'd never know it by it's drinkability. Stunning whiskey. Is that teaberry in there?? Just wonderful. My challenge will be to not drain this bottle that Doug (Tucker) forgot to take back home with him after or GBS meetup, before he has a chance to pick it up next time.... :drinking: :D:

Not to worry Doug, I'll show restraint.....maybe....!!;)

Tico
07-15-2012, 19:54
Old Fitz BIB SW

This bottle has been open for a month or so and it is really starting to open up. Just wonderfully rich and vibrant, fantastic stuff.

OscarV
07-16-2012, 15:18
Seeing as to how it's only Monday I went for a high proof to numb the boredom, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/207, neat.

Tony
07-16-2012, 15:19
A little bit of Pappy 20 last night while talking with the Mrs.

Best regards, Tony

MyOldKyDram
07-16-2012, 15:30
Seeing as to how it's only Monday I went for a high proof to numb the boredom, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/207, neat.

That IS a high proof!

Phil T
07-16-2012, 15:47
Just a simple pour tonight, FrSmB. I haven't had this for awhile, but it never fails to satisfy. It seems like every time I crack a new bottle of FR's, I wonder why I drink anything else.

OscarV
07-16-2012, 15:51
Seeing as to how it's only Monday I went for a high proof to numb the boredom, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, neat.

That IS a high proof!

:lol::lol: I changed the 207 to 107,...that was funny.

soad
07-16-2012, 15:56
Two days ago: "I should buy this Canadian Whisky just to see"

Tonight: "I should try it"....."Holy Heck!! What was I thinking??"

"MMMMMMmmmmm.....Dickel 12.....MUCH better....."

smokinjoe
07-16-2012, 16:11
OGB BIB that I found wiling away in the cupboard. Really yummy. I'm on record several times for preferring Beam OGD 114 whiskey to the ND version. Same holds for the BIB.

WAINWRIGHT
07-16-2012, 19:34
Parkers Cognac plenty of open time on this bottle and I believe it to continue to develop,deeper and more sultry with every pour.

White Dog
07-16-2012, 19:51
PHC Wheater. Larceny better be damned good.

petrel800
07-16-2012, 20:22
Went to a restaurant in Atlanta only to see a familiar face on a top shelf behind 2 other bourbons after we had finished dinner. I asked the waiter if it was the 15 or the 20. Waiter returned to let me know that it was indeed the 15 year Pappy. After such a fine meal, it only made sense to have a fine bourbon to finish the evening. The bartender gave me a very generous pour and the fiancee even encouraged the order (and took 2 sizable sips neat, she typically drinks bourbon on ice, so I was surprised). Great surprise to find it at the restaurant and made for a perfect ending to the meal.

Clavius
07-16-2012, 20:43
Four Roses Small Batch.

I thought I liked this one. But it just isn't hitting the spot tonight. Making me want to crack open my last ORVW 10/107... must... resist!!

mosugoji64
07-16-2012, 20:44
Kicking it old school tonight with some EW on the rocks. This used to be my drink of choice. It's still quite enjoyable, just not the total flavor experience I've come to crave.

Tico
07-16-2012, 21:13
Loved the Old Fitz BIB (SW) so much from last night I went back to that then onto WLW 10' and OWA CnB SB #58

smokinjoe
07-16-2012, 21:46
I'm finishing up with a B&B Package private selection of Bernheim Wheat. The doughy nose from this bottle continues to please, and it is one of the most drinkable whiskies anywhere.

wmpevans
07-17-2012, 10:23
Joe, I know your record-keeping is meticulous, but check your records from Friday night. They may be a bit smudged :lol:; but I believe David left you that bottle.

If I'm wrong, I'll come over and help you out finishing the bottle. :drinking:

I sure hope I'm wrong.

Bill.

Finishing up the evening by sneaking a gorgeous pour of the Kentucky Derby Museum Four Roses OESV. AT 59.1 ABV, it seems high for the FR Barrel Proofers, but you'd never know it by it's drinkability. Stunning whiskey. Is that teaberry in there?? Just wonderful. My challenge will be to not drain this bottle that Doug (Tucker) forgot to take back home with him after or GBS meetup, before he has a chance to pick it up next time.... :drinking: :D:

Not to worry Doug, I'll show restraint.....maybe....!!;)

smokinjoe
07-17-2012, 10:42
:crazy: Doh! I heard. David, I'll hold on to it for next time. But, if it strangely tastes like Beam White next time, it must be oxidation at work...:D

DaveOfAtl
07-17-2012, 11:15
Joe, the Ky Derby OESV bottle is all yours, especially given the ... um ... misunderstanding ... with the goat on Friday. :grin: It really is good stuff, though. The OESV that is.

OscarV
07-17-2012, 13:01
Super hot today. 102 where I was working and that is outdoors.
So after a cold shower I went down to the bunker and came back up with an Old Weller Antique 7/107 selected by Cork 'N Bottle Barrel # 49.
The best OWA ever!

WAINWRIGHT
07-17-2012, 18:28
Binny's Four Roses OBSK in the mood for some spice tonight.