PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Glass?

Clavius
06-24-2012, 17:30
I've become a bit of a collector of glassware over the past year or so. I have several Glencairn glasses, nice bourbon glasses and assorted beer ones. So I'm curious, do you have a favorite glass to drink bourbon from?

Personally, I prefer my bourbon on the rocks most of the time. So I use a small glass that I got at BT. I have two of them (I seem to collect them in pairs) and they have become my go-to glasses. One side has a Buffalo on it and the other side has "Buffalo Trace Distillery" etched into it. I think they're nice glasses.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/mnosam/IMG_2040.jpg

callmeox
06-24-2012, 18:43
I have a gaggle of the Four Roses small rocks glasses..perfect heft for me and a small pour doesn't get lost in it.

For serious tasting I use my Riedel Ouverture bourbon glasses.

bllygthrd
06-24-2012, 18:47
On the left for first time tastings and on the right for on the rocks. But, the Four Roses glass in the middle gets the most use.

Clavius
06-24-2012, 19:02
Whoops. I guess this is a more appropriate forum for the question. My bad!

Luna56
06-24-2012, 21:49
This topic has been covered over and over (I've started a thread or two myself) but I never get tired of checking out cool glasses. The BT glass looks great.

I posted a pic in the "Rotating glasses" thread of a cool Mt. Fuji glass that is my current go-to. Maybe I'll snap some shitty iPhone pics of some of my other favorites. I'd like to see some pics of everyones favorites, too.

A nice glass does add to the enjoyment of good whiskey.

Cheers!

wrath186
09-10-2012, 05:43
I have a glass that I purhcased on a recent visit to the Wild Turkey distillery. It feels really good in my had. I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.

Kalessin
09-11-2012, 09:10
I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.

Which Ravenscroft glasses did you get? Glassware geeks want to know! :)

p_elliott
09-11-2012, 10:04
My favotite glass has bourbon in it

Tony
09-11-2012, 10:25

This idea is probably spot on.

But I do tend to use the Glencairn glasses more than anything else.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Glencairn_Whisky_Glass.jpg/170px-Glencairn_Whisky_Glass.jpg

Parkersback
09-11-2012, 11:58

Indeed, Paul.

I love using jam and jelly jars. Some of the jars I have actually tapers at the top, or the lip is more narrow, and it basically functions like a snifter.

Plus they're basically free, and indestructible, and you don't really care if you do break them.

Flyfish
09-28-2012, 11:49
I have a glass that I purhcased on a recent visit to the Wild Turkey distillery. It feels really good in my had. I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.
I, too, got a couple of the WT rocks glasses. Like them because they taper in enough so you can actually nose your Turkey. With that said, I still start with a Glencairn, the add a drop of water, then go to the rocks glass. Three distinct kinds of pleasure.

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 17:34
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm not gonna make another one this one isn't THAT old.

I have a weak spot for those gift packs at the liquor store. I love free stuff, so I always get the ones with the free glasses. I've yet to pick out which one will be my go to. I did get some Crown Royal glasses that look pretty cool and don't feel that cheap.

I'm sure I'll pick out a favorite one of these days.

steeltownbbq
11-23-2012, 17:54
I got some glasses that have Ball embossed on the side. They are threaded, so you can close with a lid if you don't finish your pour. Heavy glass. Hold about a pint.

Stones
11-24-2012, 01:35
I have two favourite glasses currently - the first is an Old Fitzgerald tumbler stemmed glass with the brand etched on the side and the second is an Old Fitz Jigger glass from the 1950s I think, just awesome.

camduncan
11-24-2012, 11:46
Here's a picture I posted in a similar thread a while back. My set of four Glencairns are from a local tasting event and the distillery glasses were all picked up at the Sampler event in 2008 on our trip to KY. I prefer the Glencairn for nosing and tastings and the 1972 glass for mixers, but there's something about the feel of the Woodford glass that keeps me going back to it for my everyday pours.

BigPenguin
11-24-2012, 13:21
I like that Woodford glass.

HighInTheMtns
11-25-2012, 09:58
Almost always a Glencairn for me; most of mine I got for cheap at a liquor store where they'd pulled them from the Old Forester Repeal gift sets. The rest have distillery logos and were picked up in the gift shops.

They're reasonably sturdy, I have broken fewer than I deserve. I like the hefty base, makes them stable.

When I want to have a pour in a rocks glass, I have some JBB gift set glasses that I usually grab. High West sells hand blown glasses in the style of their bottles, one of these days I'll pick some of those up. They'll go nicely with my local beer glasses.

Yeti
11-26-2012, 19:57
I have a pair of Villeroy and Boch Single Grain Tumblers that I completely adore. Excellent all-around glass that works well for bourbon, rye, single malt, and any other whiskey. Feels good in the hand and holds aroma for extended nosing very well.

smknjoe
02-17-2013, 15:40
Until recently I've always used a lowball or rocks glass like the ones you get with Macallan or Dewar's. Sometimes a brandy snifter will do. Now I have some Glencairn Whisky and Copita glasses for nosing tasting and currently prefer the Copita. It's easier to hold compared to the Whisky glass (it's just an odd shape for me.) I also didn't know that the Glencairn (Whisky) has only been around since 2002 or so.

It's neat to see how preferences change over time. Here's a poll from almost 10 years ago: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?1848-Glassware-Poll

squire
02-17-2013, 15:53
I use the rocks glasses from the gift packs, we got a bunch.

SFS
02-17-2013, 17:13
I use the Glencairns for critical tastings, but I love the feel/weight of my Crown Royal Black square tumblers. If I'm just drinking, the tumblers are always considered, though not always chosen. They came in a gift set, and I gifted the Crown, kept the glasses. One of the reasons I like them is that crescent shaped ice does NOT mimic the contour of the glass. Movement of liquid to my mouth is therefore NOT impaired. Ya gotta have priorities, right?

squire
02-17-2013, 17:15
Yes, once established priorities must be maintained.

Beer&Bourbon
02-19-2013, 12:33
I almost always drink bourbon from Glencairns. Occasionally I'll pour into a rocks glass, but I tend to drink everything neat so my small pours get a bit lost. I have probably 100 or so beer glasses though. I probably regularly use 5-10 of those (more if you count what my wife and close friends routinely use). I'll try to take a picture and post it on here.

Ejmharris
02-19-2013, 13:58
I have been using the 4R's glass that was in the gift pack this year. Great weight. Smaller than an normal rocks glass. I actually bought 4 on eBay for when I inevitably break the one I am using.

Mike

Flyfish
03-22-2013, 15:45
I came across the Cardinal f &d 11 oz. crystal whiskey/Old Fashioned glass on the 'net. Only $135.62, marked down from $259.72. Must be for drinking your $700 Pappy.

Nick Danger
03-22-2013, 18:13
I usually go for my Glencarin glasses, but sometimes I use these 6oz juice glasses from Crate & Barrel.

They are a nice size and weight, and a 2oz pour doesn't get lost. Plus, they're cheap, so I wouldn't care if I broke one.

Nick

omgmarclol
03-22-2013, 19:28
usually a glencairn or a smaller (6-7oz) OF glass. i'm not picky.

MarkRuck
03-23-2013, 04:33
I will almost always reach for my canadian glencairn glass. Sometimes, the standard glencairn, but not often

Barclay Beach
03-23-2013, 15:31
I rotate between 3... Canadian Glencairn, WT gift set glass, and Waterford. I use the the Glencairn for sipping ppremium whiskeys neat, the WT glass for up cocktails (especially sazeracs), and the crystal for whiskeys poured over the ice ball.

wildcatdon
05-28-2013, 10:10
I really like the 1792 barrel shaped glasses..I also use the Buffalo Trace embossed glass and the Four Roses small glass.

brettckeen
05-29-2013, 08:06
I do not care for Glencarin. I like an old fashion glass. My big nose doesn't fit inside the glencarin.

ChainWhip
05-29-2013, 08:27
I'd like to get my hands on a set of those Fuji glasses:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ajjapan/5025266073/

omgmarclol
05-29-2013, 12:11
i usually drink from glencairns but i like regular sized (6-8oz) OFs too.

DrBob
08-10-2013, 19:56
at home i use glencains. I usually drink a 2 oz pour with a single 1" ice cube and I like nosing. I also have a set of four bulleit glasses they are interestingly oval shaped and have about the same volume as a glencairn. On the road i use whatever the hotel has

mbroo5880i
08-10-2013, 20:36
My favorite glass is filled with bourbon. :grin:

I have a glencarin style glass that I use occasionally when trying something new. In most cases, I just use a Buffalo Trace rocks glass. I pour neat or add a few cubes. I always try new bottles neat. Sometimes just a shot glass when trying something new. Pour, smell, taste. I will hold it on my tongue a short while and then no holds barred after I sample. My normal glass is a rocks glass even if no ice is added.

TunnelTiger
08-11-2013, 07:31
This is sort of like asking what is my favorite Bourbon, too many to name. I like my Glencairn's, I like my 4R gift glasses, I like my Glenfiddich and Glenlivet gift glasses, and I especially like my oversized and old JD shot glasses for a first time neet pour of something new

derevaun
08-11-2013, 12:18
I have a prevailing favorite, but it's good to change it up. These are in rotation over the past several months:

Left is the fave: found in a thrift store, looks like a Riedel mark on the foot. It, the snifter, and both rocks-style glasses are ~8oz capacity. In the background are a spirits glass from Crate & Barrel, and a Glencairn, both of which are infrequently used because I don't currently enjoy how they push my nose back when I take a sip.

Yeti
08-11-2013, 12:31

This is definitely my favorite glass these days.

AnotherCigarGuy
08-11-2013, 12:54

This is definitely my favorite glass these days.
That's the one I use, without the engraving.

r60slash5
08-20-2013, 15:49
Just had glasses made for our Ducati club
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/r60slash5/r60slash5006/IMG_1530_zpsa192b295.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/r60slash5/media/r60slash5006/IMG_1530_zpsa192b295.jpg.html)

I have 2 favorites though
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/r60slash5/r60slash5007/IMG_1527_zpsad1ab7b8.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/r60slash5/media/r60slash5007/IMG_1527_zpsad1ab7b8.jpg.html)

MJB
08-20-2013, 21:16
This idea is probably spot on.

But I do tend to use the Glencairn glasses more than anything else.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/Glencairn_Whisky_Glass.jpg/170px-Glencairn_Whisky_Glass.jpg

I do as well but I honestly think its because they are such good looking glasses. I've also got several small rocks glasses that my big cubes of ice barely fit in, I like those as well. Some Bourbons like the ECBP just beg for a big rocks glass for me though...

geereg
08-29-2013, 21:58
I am looking for Schott Zwiesel Barrel Aged Spirit glasses if anyone has access to any. Thanks.

r60slash5
09-03-2013, 02:30
I am looking for Schott Zwiesel Barrel Aged Spirit glasses if anyone has access to any. Thanks.

The names different but they look the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schott-Zwiesel-Tritan-Bar-Special-Nosing-Whiskey-Glass-Set-of-6-/141001520251?pt=Bar_Tools_Accessories&hash=item20d458747b

Ted

Flyfish
09-04-2013, 11:46
I do as well but I honestly think its because they are such good looking glasses. I've also got several small rocks glasses that my big cubes of ice barely fit in, I like those as well. Some Bourbons like the ECBP just beg for a big rocks glass for me though...
The Glencairn Canadian Whiskey Glass has the same basic nosing shape as the regular Glencairn but is big enough to hold a couple cubes. And it won't push your nose out of joint.

theglobalguy
09-07-2013, 21:07
While i did grab a Glencairn based on all the feedback on SB.com, i also snagged a box of Bormioli Rocco Nadia Double Old Fashioned glasses for everyday pours. Just the right amount of weight in my hand.

B.B. Babington
09-13-2013, 19:48
The names different but they look the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schott-Zwiesel-Tritan-Bar-Special-Nosing-Whiskey-Glass-Set-of-6-/141001520251?pt=Bar_Tools_Accessories&hash=item20d458747b
that's a lot like my favorites for sipping or tasting; though mine are not fine made like schott, they came free with a lower end cognac. If carry a full glass into the backyard. a glencairne with watch glass covering it works better.

smokinjoe
09-13-2013, 21:13
Not my favorites per se, but I've been using the big-bottomed-tapered-to-the-top RR 1792 rocks glasses with much enjoyment, lately. Nice heft, but without being clunky. Sleek, actually. And, extremely versatile. Big enough for a cocktail, but it's tapered shape allows for superb neat sipping.

Dolph Lundgren
09-16-2013, 05:59
Not my favorites per se, but I've been using the big-bottomed-tapered-to-the-top RR 1792 rocks glasses with much enjoyment, lately. Nice heft, but without being clunky. Sleek, actually. And, extremely versatile. Big enough for a cocktail, but it's tapered shape allows for superb neat sipping.

That sounds similar to the glass I bought from the WT giftshop last year. I really like the weight and the narrow tapering around the upper-lip. The glass works great for Manhattens or neat, and I dont have to worry about the wind blowing it over when I sit on my front porch (not like a Glencarin is going to blow over, but you never know...).

JVande
09-16-2013, 10:43
As much as I like nosing bourbon in the glencairn glass, I really dislike the shape and design of it. It's base is made for someone with hands the size of a 6 year old and the opening on the top is maybe the size of a ping pong ball? I swear that one day I am going to knock it over while sitting on the back patio sipping on some Pappy 15. But, I still use it because I am a sucker for a good whiskey nose, but prefer drinking from a curved/tapered rocks glass.

Flyfish
09-19-2013, 16:49
That sounds similar to the glass I bought from the WT giftshop last year. I really like the weight and the narrow tapering around the upper-lip. The glass works great for Manhattens or neat, and I dont have to worry about the wind blowing it over when I sit on my front porch (not like a Glencarin is going to blow over, but you never know...).
I think the WT glasses (whether with the RB or WT graphics) are exactly the same as the 1792 glasses. I start out neat in a Glencairn before moving on to these rocks glasses. I, too, appreciate the heft and the taper that makes them suitable (almost) for nosing. They are definitely great for serious drinking.

ChainWhip
10-02-2013, 00:03
I received some Chef & Sommelier Open Up Spirits Ambient (16cl) glasses on the recommendation of a friend across the pond:

http://www.zenanusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/OPEN_UP_SPIRITS_AMBIENT_U1062_5.5oz.jpg

I'm using this tonight and I think I've found my new favorite spirits glass - weight distribution is spot on, great for nosing, & just perfect for me.

Flyfish
10-02-2013, 14:14
I received some Chef & Sommelier Open Up Spirits Ambient (16cl) glasses on the recommendation of a friend across the pond:

http://www.zenanusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/OPEN_UP_SPIRITS_AMBIENT_U1062_5.5oz.jpg

I'm using this tonight and I think I've found my new favorite spirits glass - weight distribution is spot on, great for nosing, & just perfect for me.
Beautiful glass. Looks like a Glencairn with a stem. How much does it hold? (Not that I would ever consider going over six or eight ounces at one time."

ChainWhip
10-02-2013, 15:33
Beautiful glass. Looks like a Glencairn with a stem. How much does it hold? (Not that I would ever consider going over six or eight ounces at one time."

16cl comes to about 5.4oz. I'll take a side-by-side shot with the C&S and a Glencairn tonight.

smknjoe
10-02-2013, 15:40
Sounds very similar to the Copita glass which is 5oz. I have a set of these that I use quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/GLENCAIRN-SCOTCH-WHISKY-COPITA-GLASS/dp/B0054D876C

ChainWhip
10-02-2013, 18:16
Here's the two side-by-side:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/10062016206_7a9495538c_c.jpg

gblick
10-09-2013, 12:41
This is my favorite glass shape:
http://www.smwhisky.com.au/resources/common/libexec/image.php?image=695
Unfortunately these are no longer sold in the USA, but I have found alternatives with the same shape/volume. I like that they are small enough to reach the bottom with your fingers for hand washing/drying.

rndenks
10-31-2013, 07:13
I like my Glencarin when I am tasting, but I like this bad boy for healthy pours. I picked it up at Crate and Barrel for like $5. This picture brings me back to that refreshing pour on the hot summer day I took this photo. 16775

Flyfish
11-11-2013, 08:06
I like my Glencarin when I am tasting, but I like this bad boy for healthy pours. I picked it up at Crate and Barrel for like $5. This picture brings me back to that refreshing pour on the hot summer day I took this photo. 16775
It looks a lot like my Canadian Glencairns at half the price. Good score for you!

ebo
11-11-2013, 14:31
Sounds very similar to the Copita glass which is 5oz. I have a set of these that I use quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/GLENCAIRN-SCOTCH-WHISKY-COPITA-GLASS/dp/B0054D876C
I'm a big fan of the Copita myself. I have two crystal Copitas that I use regularly.

BFerguson
11-14-2013, 03:32
It looks a lot like my Canadian Glencairns at half the price. Good score for you!

Probably because they are Canadian Glencairns. Picked up a set of 4 early in the year there also. They do favor heavily in my glass rotation.

And a great price!

B

rndenks
11-14-2013, 08:42
Probably because they are Canadian Glencairns. Picked up a set of 4 early in the year there also. They do favor heavily in my glass rotation.

And a great price!

B

Now that you two mention it...I think there is a small maple leaf etched on the bottom.

BFerguson
11-14-2013, 13:14
Now that you two mention it...I think there is a small maple leaf etched on the bottom.

It is hard to see the forest through the trees......or the leaf through the bourbon in this case.

Need to pick up a couple more and stash them away, been lucky so far, but a break will come someday.

B

steeltownbbq
11-15-2013, 18:12
My favorite glass is the one containing whiskey

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Red One
12-22-2013, 18:02
Like most, I like the Glencairns. I use the small ones with the base for neat pours and tastings. For sipping, I use the Canadian Glencairn since I normally use one or two cubes of ice.

onemorepour
12-24-2013, 02:19
Irvig stemless wine glasses from Ikea are pretty kickass for $3, theyre small (4") with a narrow top and a nice tapered bottom that fits nicely in the hand.

Old Dusty
01-07-2014, 14:26
Hard to beat a sturdy Glencairn, but I've been looking for a copita type stemmed glass and found this at Crate&Barrel today. Called a Leopold and holds 6oz. Wide based and nice balance in hand. Like the wide bowl and tapered mouth for nosing higher proof pours. Just a bit wider than a Glencairn

JVande
01-07-2014, 15:06
I am also on the hunt for some stemmed glasses. So far these are my top pick.

http://m.wineenthusiast.com/newui/advsearch.aspx?tmpl=productdisplay&slr_q=*:*&slr_fq=model:31608

ChainWhip
01-07-2014, 15:11
I'm partial to the Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient.

That's a cool glass Eric!

Luna56
01-07-2014, 21:04
I got a nice crystal Copita glass years ago and I think I used it maybe four times. Stemware and bourbon just don't go together for me. I still seem to use a crystal Glennie about 80% of the time.

Right now I'm sipping some 4R from
A Canadian Glencairn. It's a functional glass but good Lord it is fugly. But it was a gift from a dear Canadian buddy, so I'm trying to like it.

I think having a wide variety of glasses available is great even if you mostly use one or two.
And a crystal glass of any shape is a thing of beauty for the hand. They just feel better to hold.

I found this online last night- maybe it's been discussed here before:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMppnHVkY4

Cheers!

Old Dusty
01-08-2014, 04:43
I'm partial to the Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient.

That's a cool glass Eric!

Saw those upthread. They look like stemmed Glencairns. Very cool.

Kpiz
01-09-2014, 12:38
My go-to glass is a mini brandy snifter I got at a beer tasting.17486
It's the perfect size for the smaller pours I usually have during the week, and I can still fit my shnoz in it. I think the receptacle is similar in size (~5.5oz) to the stemmed glass that Old Dusty posted a picture of. Anyone else use one of these?

ebo
01-10-2014, 16:52
My go-to glass is a mini brandy snifter I got at a beer tasting.17486
It's the perfect size for the smaller pours I usually have during the week, and I can still fit my shnoz in it. I think the receptacle is similar in size (~5.5oz) to the stemmed glass that Old Dusty posted a picture of. Anyone else use one of these?

I have one that my mother gave me that looks just like it. I use it quite often.

jaycamm
01-12-2014, 21:18
Irvig stemless wine glasses from Ikea are pretty kickass for $3, theyre small (4") with a narrow top and a nice tapered bottom that fits nicely in the hand.

I second the Irvig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TunnelTiger
03-05-2014, 13:13
Ok time to fess up. I've for several months now to make Glencarins my go to glass but I just can't do it.

I'm just too old and set in my ways so I'm going back to the rocks glasses. I like the heavy feel, the fact that my big nose fits in it, and if I want to add a round cube of ice it's an easy fit. They are what my father used and his father before him.

When I started collection the Glencarins my wife put a limit on the total number of glasses so I gave away all my rocks glasses.

Just got two of the Waldorf Astoria bar glasses the other day from Amazon and now all is right in my world again.

I'm keeping a couple of the Glencarins for tasting new bottles and when freinds come by but I doubt they will get a lot of use form me.

Ejmharris
03-05-2014, 17:02
Ok time to fess up. I've for several months now to make Glencarins my go to glass but I just can't do it.

I'm just too old and set in my ways so I'm going back to the rocks glasses. I like the heavy feel, the fact that my big nose fits in it, and if I want to add a round cube of ice it's an easy fit. They are what my father used and his father before him.

When I started collection the Glencarins my wife put a limit on the total number of glasses so I gave away all my rocks glasses.

Just got two of the Waldorf Astoria bar glasses the other day from Amazon and now all is right in my world again.

I'm keeping a couple of the Glencarins for tasting new bottles and when freinds come by but I doubt they will get a lot of use form me.

I understand on the glencairins. I have last years 4R's gift set glasses that I use as my everyday glass I like them so much I bought 4 off eBay. $8 was a great deal if you ask me. They have a great heavy feel and are easy to drink from. The glencairins just don't feel right to me. They also just seem to fragile to pull out everyday. I write this as I sit with a Glencairin of VWFRR in front of me. Somethings do deserve the right glass. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

393foureyedfox
03-07-2014, 20:25
i find myself going to the rocks glasses most often as well. I like a 6-8oz rocks glass with a heavy thick bottom. I bought a set of nice 1940's cut crystal rocks glasses, but dammit if i havent already broken one. HH also gave us some nice rocks glasses of this size when we took one of the upper level tours last year, that have "elijah craig 18 years old" etched into them. snifters just feel weird to me.

onemorepour
03-07-2014, 21:42
I use a mini brandy snifter on occasion and really like it

393foureyedfox
03-09-2014, 18:51
saw this in an antiques shop today......"but I only had one drink", I thought.....17941

surely, it was meant to be some kind of bowl, but it is about a quart size and looks just like a huge rocks glass. I considered getting it just for the novelty of using it on games nights

Ejmharris
03-10-2014, 18:28
saw this in an antiques shop today......"but I only had one drink", I thought.....17941

surely, it was meant to be some kind of bowl, but it is about a quart size and looks just like a huge rocks glass. I considered getting it just for the novelty of using it on games nights

Fail, you passed on that?

393foureyedfox
03-10-2014, 21:41
Fail, you passed on that?

at $48, I did pass

Ejmharris
03-11-2014, 03:32
at $48, I did pass

Ouch, good call then.

DaveOfAtl
03-11-2014, 04:33
I'm also getting tired of Glencairns. They are great if I'm tasting something new and really want to focus the nose, but I'm now using the small stemless wine glasses that SmokinJoe has turned me on to. I also have one of those Riedel whiskey glasses that I like.

ChainWhip
03-12-2014, 21:11
Cognac glasses are always a good change of pace for whiskies. I'm tempted to try some of those NEAT glasses.

HighInTheMtns
03-13-2014, 02:12
I'm also getting tired of Glencairns. They are great if I'm tasting something new and really want to focus the nose, but I'm now using the small stemless wine glasses that SmokinJoe has turned me on to. I also have one of those Riedel whiskey glasses that I like.
I've been drinking out of the glass that smokinjoe sent me quite a lot. Seems to be my preference over Glencairns these days as well.

tylermke
03-13-2014, 18:38
I've been drinking out of the glass that smokinjoe sent me quite a lot. Seems to be my preference over Glencairns these days as well.

Jim, do you have a link to one online? I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about, but just curious.

I have been switching back and forth between a regular glencairn, a widemouth glencairn, a port wine glass, and a simple rocks glass. All serve their respective purposes, but I find myself alternating mostly between the regular glencairn and the port glass. The rest sit lonely on the shelf.

393foureyedfox
03-13-2014, 21:42
wasnt it the IKEA Ivrig glasses?

393foureyedfox
03-13-2014, 21:44

Joe, are these the ones to which you are referring?

HighInTheMtns
03-14-2014, 18:51
Jim, do you have a link to one online? I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about, but just curious.

I have been switching back and forth between a regular glencairn, a widemouth glencairn, a port wine glass, and a simple rocks glass. All serve their respective purposes, but I find myself alternating mostly between the regular glencairn and the port glass. The rest sit lonely on the shelf.
Nope... For all I know Joe got them from the goat.

393foureyedfox
03-15-2014, 07:43
forgot the no auction link thingy........

so, Joe, are these the ones youre talking about.....the RR1792 glasses? If so, they are Libbey Vibe glasses, and much cheaper if you get them plain

tigerlam92
03-15-2014, 08:13

so, Joe, are these the ones youre talking about.....the RR1792 glasses? If so, they are Libbey Vibe glasses, and much cheaper if you get them plain

This look really nice.

TunnelTiger
03-19-2014, 08:31
My new favorite glass and one of my new favorite Bourbons.17980

Ravensfire
03-19-2014, 08:41
I really like the look of the cut crystal glasses. I'd love to find some of the wide-mouth glencairn's in that style. My current favorite is a simple, basic rocks glass that were my grandfather's whom I was named after. Monogrammed with my last name initial, these are fairly old and have some serious heft in the bottom. It's that connection to my past plus the substantial feel that I just love about them. New bottles are usually poured in a regular glencairn first, but afterwards it's generally in my rocks glass.

onemorepour
03-19-2014, 16:18

I like the look of those, are they as bottom heavy as they appear?

dcbt
03-24-2014, 05:07
I use hand-me-down rocks glasses from my wife's grandparents. Sturdy, classic, and elegant.

kjbeggs
03-24-2014, 12:55
I wish these were more affordable.
http://props.steinschneider.com/blade_runner/square_glass/sq_glass.htm

TunnelTiger
03-24-2014, 12:58

Nice but saying they are expensive might be an understatement.

tigerlam92
03-24-2014, 16:23
Ok, I love Bladerunner and the design of that glass looks great. But the price is pretty crazy, not astronomical but just way too high. If it was 1/4 the price, I would consider it.

Is there a cheaper version we can buy, hahaha.

dcbt
03-24-2014, 18:49
I use hand-me-down rocks glasses from my wife's grandparents. Sturdy, classic, and elegant.

adding a pic (next to a bottle for size illustration)

TunnelTiger
03-28-2014, 10:12
Just got these SOHO glasses. They are even heavier than the Waldorf "Mens Bar" glasses. I really like both.

And I really like this Bourbon, nah I love this Bourbon!

squire
03-28-2014, 10:31
Can a man love more than one whisky? Of course, a man can have many loves.

TunnelTiger
03-28-2014, 10:35
Can a man love more than one whisky? Of course, a man can have many loves.

Well I am definitely a bigamist when it comes to my whisky and might I add proud of it.

Ravensfire
03-28-2014, 12:00
Well I am definitely a bigamist when it comes to my whisky and might I add proud of it.

Only 2? I'll still with polygamist!

(BTW - for beer fans, Wasatch Brew Pub in Salt Lake City makes a Polygamy Porter that's solid, but t-shirt is perfect! (https://www.squatters.com/shop/details.aspx?prodID=25)

Yeti
03-28-2014, 12:13
adding a pic (next to a bottle for size illustration)

Great looking glass. I'd love to share a pour with one of those.

whiskeyagonzo
03-31-2014, 19:45
I found this shot glass at an antique mall. I had never seen anything like it. It's an Old Fitzgerald shooter glass. I don't usually take shots but I found it interesting. It's hard to get a good picture but it basically says only use 100 proof OF. It has different measuring lines for the 100 proof equivalent of having a shot of 86 and 90 proof whiskey.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/zy4aguju.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/a6amepuz.jpg

HighInTheMtns
04-01-2014, 22:30
Only 2? I'll still with polygamist!

(BTW - for beer fans, Wasatch Brew Pub in Salt Lake City makes a Polygamy Porter that's solid, but t-shirt is perfect! (https://www.squatters.com/shop/details.aspx?prodID=25)
It's solid, but if anyone comes here: we have some world class beer, Polygamy is a good ways down my list.

Ravensfire
04-02-2014, 09:10
It's solid, but if anyone comes here: we have some world class beer, Polygamy is a good ways down my list.

Absolutely agree. Was there last Memorial Day for a volleyball tournament and hit several craft beer pubs while we were there and enjoyed just about all the ones I tasted. Apologies for not saying that. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality. My wife was quite upset that all she got was a Squatter's t-shirt (and no, it was not the polygamy). We're hoping to go back in a couple of years - absolutely incredible views everywhere we looked.

kjbeggs
04-10-2014, 09:10

Similar, and way cheaper. $25.00 for a set of four...
http://shop.coolmaterial.com/products/faceted-whiskey-glasses?utm_source=CMBlog&utm_medium=CMBlogPost&utm_campaign=BladeRunnerGlasses/?utm_source=coolmaterial&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=none&utm_campaign=from-the-shop

p_elliott
04-10-2014, 09:49
Got two of these with a bottle of WT