PDA

View Full Version : What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
06-25-2012, 12:33
Had a nice pour of 2011 Handy last night. Absolutely delicious.

CoMobourbon
06-26-2012, 16:17
Had some much maligned Old Overholt in a mint julep recently. I have to say, with plenty of sugar in the simple syrup and plenty of mint (out of control in mulch patch, by the way), this was really tasty.

tanstaafl2
06-27-2012, 08:56
Just acquired a bottle of the Pendleton 1910 Canadian Rye bottled in Oregon. I thought it was quite good although a bit disappointed they watered it down to 40 proof. I would prefer to make my own determination about how much water to add. A little more round in taste than some ryes but still plenty of peppery rye character to let you know what you are drinking. I seem to recall some speculation that the source is Alberta Springs but the company is apparently not interested in sharing the source. Their choice I suppose.

tanstaafl2
06-27-2012, 09:07
Also got an interesting bottle (actually 2 50 cl bottles) of 15 yo Roggenaer from the A. van Wees distillery de Ooievar (http://www.de-ooievaar.nl/english/genevas.php) (Meaning the Stork it would appear) in the Netherlands. I am fortunate enough to have a Dutch friend who travels home every year and asked them to look for this for me.

Delightfully delicate whiskey with only a hint of wood despite 15 years of aging and yet at the same time full of a nice fiery rye quality. Something very different and yet to me a quality whiskey despite its genever/gin roots. The website suggest a bit of citrus but I did not appreciate that as much.

Edit: I guess it is obvious this is not an American Rye so should perhaps be moved elsewhere? It's kind of gin but not really. Far more of a whiskey style at least to me.

AaronWF
06-27-2012, 09:15
I took a hit from an '09 bottle of Handy I've had open for a while and rarely seem to get to. My oh my, that is some tasty whiskey! Comparing it to a 5yo Willet rye (LDI), it is so much brighter, with the corn that's missing from the Willet really polishing up the glinting rye grains. I like the young LDI ryes (really only the Willet brand, as it's CS and unchillfiltered), but the Handy really sketches a more broad profile.

Happyhour24x7
06-27-2012, 18:44
Really enjoying, although sparingly, the Leopold's Maryland style rye. To my tastes, might be the best rye I've had to date.

cigarnv
06-28-2012, 03:57
Practicing for the hot weekend.... WTR 101 and ginger.....

timd
06-28-2012, 15:14
Some TPS Bowman Rye... nectar of the gods, to be sure. One of the best things I've ever had.

Think Handy... on steroids, with 4+ more years in wood.

unclebunk
06-28-2012, 15:21
Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!

LostBottle
06-28-2012, 17:40
Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!

The thread is titled 'enjoying', so you must be drinking the WT 101 Rye. Surley you can't be talking about the WT(F) 81.

White Dog
06-28-2012, 20:02
The thread is titled 'enjoying', so you must be drinking the WT 101 Rye. Surley you can't be talking about the WT(F) 81.

Haha. I keep staring at that WT81Rye, and I think that sooner or later I'll buy one, just so that I can hate on it with authority!

compliance
06-28-2012, 20:28
After killing my bottle of EC18 last night I refilled my glass with Willet 5yr old rye. It was eggnog + nutmeg clear as day. I never got that out of the bottle before so maybe it has something to do with the combination. Going to see if I can pick that out again tonight without the EC's help.

Trey Manthey
06-28-2012, 21:19
At Jack Ryan's in D.C. and ordered two ryes I'd never tried. High West Bourye vs VWFRR.

I liked the VW just fine, but the Bourye was heavenly. Dang I need to find a bottle.

unclebunk
06-29-2012, 06:10

Definitely the 101. I've got a few bottles in the bunker and have a local store with a few more on the shelf collecting dust. Good solid rye at $20 is hard to beat!

ebo
06-29-2012, 16:44
I've grown quite fond of KC Rye, and have been drinking it regularly, as of late.

Master_Photog
06-29-2012, 20:23
HOTALING'S - this is a fantastic pour, wish it was still in production!

smokinjoe
06-30-2012, 08:50
HOTALING'S - this is a fantastic pour, wish it was still in production!

Welcome back! :D

yountvillewjs
06-30-2012, 17:23
baby saz in an Old Fashioned. this might be the summer go-to.

Bourbon Boiler
06-30-2012, 19:26
Tried this for the first time this afternoon. I give it six thumbs up.

Bourbon Boiler
06-30-2012, 19:27
^Struggling with the photo add on the new SB. Should have displayed Willett Rye.

Tico
06-30-2012, 21:09
Was in a rye mood tonight so after dinner I went with pours of Vintage 21 and VWFRR. Aside from rye as a category these are both probably some of my favorite whiskeys overall

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2012, 17:56
Rittenhouse BiB.

boneuphtoner
07-02-2012, 18:08
A dram of Beam Ri(1) followed by a healthy pour of Pikesville Rye.

ethangsmith
07-03-2012, 15:18
Yay! Another Pikesville drinker! Probably my favorite rye on the market- and probably the cheapest on the market too! A true cult brand.

Kyjd75
07-03-2012, 16:21
Knob Creek, and it is good. Interesting thing though, first bottle of KC that I have ever seen with a screw top!

BFerguson
07-03-2012, 19:35
Willett 4yr tonight with a bit of water added.

Wanted something more like a sour due to the wretched heat, but this will have to do for tonight

B

boneuphtoner
07-05-2012, 09:44
Yay! Another Pikesville drinker! Probably my favorite rye on the market- and probably the cheapest on the market too! A true cult brand.

I agree, Pikesville has become a staple in my household. Although it is not the most complex of the ryes on my shelf by most measures, my non-whiskey drinking spouse and other friends have really fallen for this stuff!

unclebunk
07-05-2012, 12:16
Rittenhouse BIB on ice yesterday while consuming too much cheap beer at a friend's 4th of July party. I really love Rittenhouse and am grateful that I can purchase it for a mere $20.

Young Blacksmith
07-05-2012, 17:28
A little WTR101 with Pechayud's bitters and ginger ale in a sazerac-esque cocktail. My favorite!

smokinjoe
07-05-2012, 18:36
TH Handy. I don't know the year, and frankly I don't care, as I have found each release to be consistently magnificent. Tonight's experience is no exception. A magnificent rye that explodes with flavor. As has been reported here many times, it's still easy to find on many shelves, and passed over frequently by our members here on SB. All I can say is Thank You! I'm cool with the sloppy seconds... :D

Rutherford
07-06-2012, 20:56
Bulleit tonight. Always a good choice. In-your-face rye spice and fruitiness with a good balance of oak.

Trey Manthey
07-07-2012, 17:49
Going with dueling 3/4 oz. pours of newly opened bottles Rittenhouse 100 ($16.99) and Wild Turkey 101 ($19.99).

I did this with the purpose of picking a favorite "well" rye for mixing cocktails.

I think I have to go with the Rittenhouse here. It's got a more subtle and fruity nose, less alcohol burn on the palate. Longer and sweeter finish. The WT is bolder on the palate, but it's got a little too much bitter wood taste.

darylld911
07-08-2012, 05:20
TH Handy. I don't know the year, and frankly I don't care, as I have found each release to be consistently magnificent. Tonight's experience is no exception. A magnificent rye that explodes with flavor. As has been reported here many times, it's still easy to find on many shelves, and passed over frequently by our members here on SB. All I can say is Thank You! I'm cool with the sloppy seconds... :D

I've read the reports of it laying around, but I've never seen it (outside of the one bottle I picked up on special order). At the 2012 GBS Summer Extravaganza, let me know where these gem-stores are hidden :) I've got a 2011 which I absolutely love, and would pick up another bottle for sure if I had the chance (although that one is still more than half full).

Roadsaw
07-08-2012, 14:13
Having a pour of High West Double Rye while throwing a pork loin on the grill.

yountvillewjs
07-08-2012, 19:55
Willett 3 yr used to be readily available at my local Costco for $29.99. Then I started finding Willett 5yr for $30.99 at a local shop. Now both are gone, with the 5 yr showing up every so often at $36.99. The price increase isn't huge, but it is giving me pause. And with Ritt readily available at $21.....

Young Blacksmith
07-09-2012, 18:26
Picked up three bottles of WTR 101 for the bunker. My wife OK'd a case if I can find it around on different shelves... :)

ebo
07-10-2012, 18:17
I'm really enjoying a nice pour of KC Rye. I like this stuff more every time I pour a glass.

soonami
07-10-2012, 19:05
Just cracked the wax on a 2012 Willett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel Rye 6 year, Barrel 58, 110 Proof.

Probably the first Rye I've had neat. It's much sweet than I expected. Plenty of peppery spice throughout. I get a little bit of menthol in the finish.

It's interesting. I'll have to compare with the Fall 2011 Handy I recently picked up.

BFerguson
07-12-2012, 20:01
It's much sweet than I expected.

Surprising to most, I generally find many of them to be one the sweeter side. It's not something that one would immediately think.

Saz Jr for me tonight. Always a great standard.

B

LostBottle
07-12-2012, 20:11
Earlier today I was looking at Crater Lake and enjoying my sandwich and a pour of Handy in a Dixie Cup - perfect!

Luna56
07-14-2012, 00:07
Just cracked open a Jefferson's 10. Interesting stuff. It reminds me a bit of the Bulleit but seems more balanced and the nose is just fantastic. I like it so far, I'll get back to ya after more "research."

Cheers!

OscarV
07-14-2012, 16:34
Thomas H Handy with one small ice cube, a different tatse with each sip.

JayMonster
07-16-2012, 17:37
Rough day made (somewhat) better with some Saz 18. Wish I had more of this stuff. (Yeah, I know... so does everybody).

ethangsmith
07-16-2012, 17:54
Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye whiskey at Dad's Hat Distillery in Bristol, PA.

callmeox
07-16-2012, 18:00
A long last week has crested over the weekend breakwall to swamp the start of this week so some Templeton rye is helping me relax.

Glad to be in the minority on this bottle...I really like it.

Flyfish
07-17-2012, 06:58
Last night I shared some Ritt BIB with a friend. Sipped it neat for a few minutes than added a couple drops of water. "Mmm! Butterscotch," he said. I was impressed because he doesn't know what he is "supposed" to taste in bourbon or rye so the response was totally honest and spontaneous. And it clearly demonstrated how the tiniest bit of water can transform the experience.

MrAtomic
07-18-2012, 14:10
I was gifted a bottle of Old Potrero Rye last weekend. I've been sipping at it since then, and am still not sure what to make of it. It doesn't really hit any of my reference points for rye whiskey. The only flavor I can identify is... bread? The finish tastes like pumpernickel or rye bread. It's certainly interesting stuff (I've been wanting to try it for years) and I'll enjoy the rest of the bottle, but I don't think I'll replace it soon. That has as much to do with the price as the taste, though.

White Dog
07-18-2012, 14:14
Is your Old Potrero the 18th century, or the Straight?

White Dog
07-18-2012, 20:01
Having some Saz18 2011 that I just cracked. Stellar.

soonami
07-18-2012, 21:08
Had a pour of Ritt BiB and Willet 6yo tonight. Both nice, but I thought the Willet had more clove and nutmeg spice with a stronger finish and a touch of sweetness that was really enjoyable.

MrAtomic
07-18-2012, 21:52
Is your Old Potrero the 18th century, or the Straight?

White Dog, thanks for asking -- it's the Straight.

mosugoji64
07-18-2012, 22:32
It's Willett tonight. So happy the LDI rye is available to us - it's delicious :grin:

White Dog
07-19-2012, 07:10
White Dog, thanks for asking -- it's the Straight.

That one is a strange Whiskey. My bottling shows no age statement, so it should at least be 4 years, but it tastes much younger. (Maybe they use a #1 Char?) It also tastes like it's a very wide cut. I think I can taste a bit of the tales when I drink it.

unclebunk
07-19-2012, 11:33
Just made a fat-ass pastrami sandwich and decided to have a nip of Rittenhouse BIB to wash it down. Nice to have a day off, though it would it have better if it hadn't been due to yet another power outage.

MyOldKyDram
07-23-2012, 17:21
Greatly enjoying a pour of Willett 5 yo.

WAINWRIGHT
07-23-2012, 20:07
Ritt BIB hard to beat for $20;105 degrees today here in Illinois but the 100 proof rye and ice water is working out just fine this evening!

MyOldKyDram
07-24-2012, 18:43
My first pour out of my first bottle of Vintage Rye 21 yo.

White Dog
07-24-2012, 18:52

That is one damn fine Whiskey.

WAINWRIGHT
07-24-2012, 19:01

Well I'm jealous;have never even crossed paths with a bottle.

MyOldKyDram
07-24-2012, 19:02
This thing is a flavor monster. I'm having a blast with it.

unclebunk
07-25-2012, 05:22
I watched the latest episode of Breaking Bad on the DVR last night and at one point Walt's brother-in-law, Hank (the DEA agent), sits down in his boss's office and they pour themselves a round of WhistlePig, so that's what I reached for too. Man, I love that stuff! When the show was over I also had an Old Potrero and listened to some tunes before hitting the hay. Slept like a baby!:grin:

timd
07-25-2012, 09:21
When you pull the cork from that bottle, the clouds part, rays of sunshine beam down on you, and the angels cry out of jealousy.

One of my favorite whiskies ever.

redbear
07-25-2012, 12:52
Tried a number of Ryes last night. Whistlepig was the reason for the gathering. A friend sourced a bottle and got it here to TX. It's a good solid whiskey. Not sure about the price. I thought Handy was superior.

In the low cost rye bracket, I found that baby saz did not hold up as well as I thought it would against WTR 101 and Rittenhouse.

We also opened bottles of Gooderham & Worts and Lot 40. Both of these were good. Quite a bit sweeter than the low cost bracket. Lot 40 did not have much in the way of the rye spiciness that I am used to. G&W had a bit more, but was still mild in comparison to the ritt, for example.

It was a good night. I have a new appreciation for ryes!

White Dog
07-25-2012, 13:26
Tried a number of Ryes last night. Whistlepig was the reason for the gathering. A friend sourced a bottle and got it here to TX. It's a good solid whiskey. Not sure about the price. I thought Handy was superior.

In the low cost rye bracket, I found that baby saz did not hold up as well as I thought it would against WTR 101 and Rittenhouse.

We also opened bottles of Gooderham & Worts and Lot 40. Both of these were good. Quite a bit sweeter than the low cost bracket. Lot 40 did not have much in the way of the rye spiciness that I am used to. G&W had a bit more, but was still mild in comparison to the ritt, for example.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the Pig, Handy, and the low cost Ryes.

Evets
07-26-2012, 12:14
Pendleton 1910 Rye. Interesting bottle.

timd
07-26-2012, 12:26
Pendleton 1910 Rye. Interesting bottle.

Any notes or specific thoughts? I'm curious about this one...

Evets
07-26-2012, 12:43
Any notes or specific thoughts? I'm curious about this one...

I am always shy about reviewing something after only one glass (especially when the bottle has just been opened) but here goes. A nice nose with many of the spices that one would expect from a rye and also that the reviews mention on this one. It did have an odd fragrance of green olives to me though! I wouldn't be surprised if that was not there the next time (I find that sometimes there are odd notes after a bottle is first opened). The taste was somewhat "relaxed" from what I normally expect of a rye. I often hear of Canadian whisky as being more "rounded" and smooth and this seemed to be the case. Sort of a kindler, gentler rye. Nothing like Rittenhouse. Not too sweet but not dry. Medium-long finish. I enjoyed it but need more time with it to get a better sense of it. Hope this helps.

unclebunk
07-26-2012, 15:25

I find WhistlePig to be on the pricey side too and would buy it regularly if it were closer to $50 or so. Having said that, I find it to be a stellar pour and can't get enough of the stuff. Not sure I could compare it to Handy, as they are just too different to me. Sounds like you guys had a great time with your tasting. Good one!

MyOldKyDram
07-28-2012, 12:59
I wouldn't say enjoying, but...

Toured WT today. My gf made the mistake of sampling the Rye 81. I made the mistake of sampling her sampling.

p_elliott
07-28-2012, 20:10
I wouldn't say enjoying, but...

Toured WT today. My gf made the mistake of sampling the Rye 81. I made the mistake of sampling her sampling.

Pretty bad isn't it ?? I sample some too in April yuck!

Ejmharris
07-28-2012, 20:31
Enjoyed some Ritt BIB tonight. I always forget how much I like this stuff.

MyOldKyDram
07-29-2012, 19:37
And back to the Vintage 21 to finish off the night.

hectic1
07-29-2012, 21:37
Having a pour of 2010 Saz 18 to finish off an 11hr travel day from Chicago to Portland, OR. ;)

timd
07-30-2012, 08:42
Cracked open a Ritt BiB this weekend. Sure is a great pour, especially when you consider pricing.

Had some Vintage 21... it's truly like pouring out a little bit of heaven into a glass. Rich, creamy, oaky vanilla with wonderful rye spice and just the right amount of vibrancy balanced with some amazing depth.

IowaJeff
07-30-2012, 09:03
I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's 10 yo this weekend but haven't opened it yet. Looking forward to giving it a try and comparing to Bulleit and other that are more readily available in my area. I thought 34.99 was a reasonable price point for a 10 yo rye, I'll see if the taste measures up.

ebo
07-31-2012, 18:18
I'm having a nice pour of Bulleit Rye while watching the Olympics.

LostBottle
07-31-2012, 21:32
This evening I am watching the Olympics with Rendezvous gracing my glass. With this newest bottle, I am getting a lot of hay/straw which I am enjoying.

timd
08-01-2012, 08:56
It was my bday yesterday, so I broke out multiple (small) pours of my faves:

Bowman TPS Rye 10 year barrel strength - I think this is my favorite rye ever.
Vintage 21 - another winner
VWFRR "A" lot - the whiskey that made me fall in love with American whiskey! My first "precious" bottle ever.

Also had a nice pour of Springbank 18 and a pour of a 17 year old private bottling Willet wheater that is divine.

Lots of small, dainty pours - but each was terrific.

p_elliott
08-01-2012, 09:18
It was my bday yesterday, so I broke out multiple (small) pours of my faves:

Bowman TPS Rye 10 year barrel strength - I think this is my favorite rye ever.
Vintage 21 - another winner
VWFRR "A" lot - the whiskey that made me fall in love with American whiskey! My first "precious" bottle ever.

Also had a nice pour of Springbank 18 and a pour of a 17 year old private bottling Willet wheater that is divine.

Lots of small, dainty pours - but each was terrific.

Sorry I missed your birthday If I had known I would have done a post for you. Put it on your profile. Happy belated birthday!

Evets
08-01-2012, 09:24
Bulleit Rye. A bargain and a tasty example.

timd
08-01-2012, 09:34
Sorry I missed your birthday If I had known I would have done a post for you. Put it on your profile. Happy belated birthday!

No worries - I did get an "automated" birthday wish from the site!

Young Blacksmith
08-01-2012, 20:01
I picked up 3 handles of Fleischmann's rye and a liter of Stephen Foster today. Cost me less than a bottle of EH Taylor would have!

Smithford
08-02-2012, 09:30
How is that Fleischmann's Rye anyway? I'm very curious about it. A friend is going to WI to visit family in a few weeks, with a stopover in Chicago. I was going to ask him to pick up something special for me at Binny's, but I'm half thinking he should just grab a bottle of Fleischmann's in WI. It's not something I'm ever likely to find on my own.

timd
08-02-2012, 09:45
I picked up 3 handles of Fleischmann's rye and a liter of Stephen Foster today. Cost me less than a bottle of EH Taylor would have!

You are the man! Thanks. Really excited to try the Fleischmans when you get back.. and the McKenzie sounds interesting too.

Young Blacksmith
08-02-2012, 13:41
McKenzie is interesting. Sort of like a nice caraway rye bread, with a bit of four roses floral essence thrown on top. I'm enjoying it!

I'll try the Fleischmann's tonight.

MyOldKyDram
08-02-2012, 17:29
Settling in back at home with a wonderful pour of Renezvous.

Young Blacksmith
08-02-2012, 19:19
Fleischmann's is interesting. Unmistakable Barton profile, slightly sweet, light banana nose. Reminds me quite a bit of nosing VOB 86, a nice light whiskey. As you take a sip it's not that sweet really, just a nice rye dryness balanced with a bit of sweet. It really warms the esophagus, but not the throat burning fire you sometimes get with the cheap stuff.

The finish lasts for a good couple of minutes, slightly bitter, but tongue fulfilling and coating. It'll be interesting to see how this reacts with air, and see if the bananas take over or stay in the back ground.

If you are up in Wisconsin, pick some up! I found mine at Piggly Wiggly in Sheboygan falls, complete with a $7 rebate off 2 handles. That'll take the price for 3 handles from $56 to $49, an amazing bargain.

Smithford
08-03-2012, 09:19
A single handle will already be more than Canada customs allows. It will have to be snuck in. I wonder if they'll find it in Madison? It's only a northern WI thing, I think.

White Dog
08-03-2012, 09:48
It's not in Madison.

ratcheer
08-05-2012, 05:26
I made a Manhattan cocktail with Bulleit Rye, yesterday afternoon. Besides the whiskey, sweet vermouth, and Angostura, I added a small splash of Stirrings Blood Orange bitters. It was one of the best Manhattans I've ever had.

Tim

clingman71
08-05-2012, 06:30
I put a hurting on some WTR 101 last night. One of those nights where the first bottle I chose hit the spot so I never changed.

OscarV
08-05-2012, 11:53
I finally emtied out my Thomas H Handy Rye with two small pours and a small ice cube.
Now I have no open rye, I just might open one of my Vintage Rye 23yo's, I'm gonna have to think about it.

Phil T
08-05-2012, 12:38
I finally emtied out my Thomas H Handy Rye with two small pours and a small ice cube.
Now I have no open rye, I just might open one of my Vintage Rye 23yo's, I'm gonna have to think about it.

Hey Oscar,

What's your opinion of the V23? Seems like most of what I've read here, think its too woody. I know of 2 bottles, hesitant to pull the trigger

OscarV
08-05-2012, 12:43
I haven't gotten to it yet.
From all the reviews I have read about it the wood is in relativly check.
The 21 was a bit to hot for me.
What are the prices that you saw?

Phil T
08-05-2012, 12:49
$93..good/ bad? Damn, I always forget about the minimum character thingy

OscarV
08-05-2012, 12:50

Well depending on if you have this month's rent paid I'd get one.

Phil T
08-05-2012, 12:57
Well depending on if you have this month's rent paid I'd get one.

I never worry about paying the rent, I own a car. I can sleep in the car, I can't drive my house

Phil T
08-05-2012, 14:06
I started with some THH, now some baby Saz. Are these guys related?

atfree
08-05-2012, 18:50
Enjoying healthy pours from bottles of BMH 23yr Rye and Vintage 21 Rye. Simply fantastic whiskeys. I think I would rank these in the top 5 of the 60 or so bourbons/ryes I've tried.

LikeItWasSodaPop
08-05-2012, 19:23
I'm surprised at how much BMH 23 my fellow forum members have bunkered! I picked up about 6 bottles over the last year and have really enjoyed it. It is VERY woody (but not too much for me). The Vintage 23 is nowhere near as woody as the BMH, at least in my experience. I know forum members generally prefer the Vintage 21 but I've never seen it in the wild. For what it's worth, I've found that vatting the BMH 23 or Vintage 23 with Saz 18 yields great results.

As for the rye I'm "enjoying" it's Bourye (if that counts). Not really enjoying it, though. Still hoping it will open up or that I'll "get" it.

OscarV
08-06-2012, 14:53

93 bucks is 32 bucks less than what I paid for mine so I guess I have to say yes, buy 'em.

darylld911
08-06-2012, 15:42
Enjoying some 2011 THH tonight. Some mentioned it changing further down, and I wonder if it is just the density of char sediment since this is unfiltered? I try to swirl it around a bit in the bottle before pouring to mix it up, but even then the heavier pieces settle fairly quickly. Either way - loving it this afternoon!

Trey Manthey
08-06-2012, 20:18
This evening I am watching the Olympics with Rendezvous gracing my glass. With this newest bottle, I am getting a lot of hay/straw which I am enjoying.

I picked up that strong hay/mown grass note on the nose when I first opened my bottle of Rendezvous. It completely disappeared after a couple pours. Can't say I miss that particular note much, but the rest of the bottle has been AWESOME! So much so that I brought it to share at a party and it starting going so fast that I hid the bottle so I could save a glass or two for myself. Bad form? Perhaps I just need to go buy another bottle.

I'm enjoying a small pour of the 16yo High West Rye at the moment. This half bottle was fairly hard to track down, so I've been conserving it.

Can I just say that I love High West? I've got a couple bottles of the 21yo Rye sitting on the shelf at $115 nearby. Worth it? I also can't wait to try Campfire.

White Dog
08-07-2012, 09:19
I think the 21yr at $115 is worth it, but others may disagree.

MyOldKyDram
08-07-2012, 16:21
Wow. I feel double lucky to have found my bottle (at $65) now!

ETA: OOPS. See now you were talking about the High West.

WAINWRIGHT
08-08-2012, 19:30
Willet 4yr." Groundbreaker" I am quite impressed and you would never guess this is only 4 year old rye,they really did their homework on this one.I would guess this rye to be in the 6-8 yr range with the flavor profile and the proof is great and never over powering.I should have bought a few more of these while in Kentucky,for the price absolutely can't be matched.

Vosgar
08-08-2012, 21:27
VWFRR along with a Gurhka Vintage 2001. A very nice combination

AaronWF
08-08-2012, 22:09
I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.

Young Blacksmith
08-09-2012, 07:10
I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.

Evets
08-09-2012, 08:18
I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.

A great review! It is now on my list to try. Thanks.

Brisko
08-09-2012, 08:23
I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.

Where in Wisconsin did you find the Fleischmans?

In other words, how far from the Twin Cities would I have to drive to pick up a case of handles?:grin:

White Dog
08-09-2012, 10:38
He picked it up on Wisconsin's east coast, and I've never seen it west of the Fox Valley.

Brisko
08-09-2012, 11:25
So what you all are telling me is that I need to make a road trip to the next Vikings/Packers game at Lambeau.... [checks schedule] on December 2nd :bigeyes:. No thanks!

Young Blacksmith
08-09-2012, 11:41
I picked up the handles in Sheboygan Falls. Not sure where else it may be sold though.

timd
08-09-2012, 15:16
I picked up the handles in Sheboygan Falls. Not sure where else it may be sold though.

When are you heading to Dallas/Allen next?

Young Blacksmith
08-10-2012, 04:56
I'll be in town on the 14th - 16th, next week. I think the evening of the 15th is "scheduled" but the 14th is free.

LostBottle
08-10-2012, 18:15
So enjoying is not the right word, but I tried the Hudson Manhattan Rye. The name seems fitting becuase while it might be decent in a Manhattan, it is not an enjoyable sipper. The nose on this young whiskey 'aged 4 years or less' is astringent and smells very heavily of cereal grain mixed with rubbing alcohol. On the palate, the grain flavor continues before developing a very sour rye note - normally I really like the rye sourness, but not when it is so one-note and intense. I would post notes on the finish, but there did not seem to be one - a little burn and then...nothing.

Exceptions aside, I generally tend to think of craft whiskeys as overpriced and not very good. In my mind, this young rye is no exception. At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.

darylld911
08-11-2012, 04:57
At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.

I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?

WAINWRIGHT
08-11-2012, 12:34
I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?

I agree Gary, I tried the entire line up with my father in the spring at Binnys.Price point and fllavor does ot constitute the price of these offerings.If you do not like the Baby Bourbon, you need not even try the others in the line up,as I found it to be the best which was not very good.

Young Blacksmith
08-12-2012, 19:17
a quick pic of the Wisconsin Rye Raid I just got home from:

Stephen Foster
Fleischmann's x3
McKenzie

White Dog
08-13-2012, 19:29
Drinking Knob Rye and WT101Rye. Still give the nod to WT.

mosugoji64
08-14-2012, 08:06
Enjoyed a rye flight last night: RittBIB, Baby Saz, and Willett. The Saz won that round coming off like liquid candy, but they were all delicious.

Evets
08-14-2012, 09:04
White Dog:
Where you referring to WT 101 or the newer 81?

White Dog
08-14-2012, 09:16
The 101proof, of course.

Evets
08-14-2012, 09:31
The 101proof, of course.

Lucky "dog!" You were smart to stock up.
I sure wish I could find a dusty stash somewhere!

MyOldKyDram
08-14-2012, 17:54
Started w a pour of Rendevous and moved on to Willett 5 yr, which is just wonderful tonight.

Happyhour24x7
08-14-2012, 18:27
Enjoying an old fashioned made with High West double rye right now, and it is fantastic. Don't care for it straight, but with Fee's whiskey barrel aged bitters, orange and sugar, it is a beautiful thing.

BFerguson
08-14-2012, 21:26
Willett 4yr gave its last pour tonight. For a youthful rye, such big flavor. Beats anything in its age group hands down.

B

WAINWRIGHT
08-18-2012, 15:06
Converting a family member to becoming a rye fan,consecutive pours of Willett "Groundbreaker",Baby Saz and Ritt BIB; he is coming around nicely.

MyOldKyDram
08-18-2012, 19:05
WT Rye 101.

Shame it's gone. I believe it's about my favorite of their "current" offerings.

the Duff
08-18-2012, 21:15
Converting a family member to becoming a rye fan,consecutive pours of Willett "Groundbreaker",Baby Saz and Ritt BIB; he is coming around nicely.

Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?

MyOldKyDram
08-18-2012, 21:18
Curious too, as I'll go tomorrow if need be.

ChainWhip
08-18-2012, 21:25
Having a tasty pour High West Rendezvous Rye tonight... Should've gotten a bottle of this long ago!

WAINWRIGHT
08-19-2012, 07:46
Is that Willet going to be gone before I get to try it?

Quit whining,there is always an open door over here.

bad_scientist
08-19-2012, 12:29
Had a High West Double Rye! and Copper Fox rye last night in between beers along the H St. NE corridor. Double Rye! was a bit sweeter than I thought it would be, almost as though it were an Old Fashioned using a young LDI rye, in which the older whiskey was used in lieu of simple syrup. Pretty good, IMO. I also liked the Copper Fox, despite my loathing of cherry wood and general distaste for pot still products. I guess I need to reassess what I think I like. Since this is a rye thread, I should note that the Copper Fox tasted very little like a rye. The only hint of spice came in at the end, in a subtle little goodbye as part of the finish. Without knowing it was 67% rye (or close to it), I wouldn't have been able to tell there was more than 15% in there.

timd
08-20-2012, 09:25
Broke open a handle of Fleischman's Rye this weekend that YoungBlackSmith was kind enough to snag for me up in WI.

Damn good stuff for as cheap as it is. The nose is a high 80 point score - it's really quite nice.

The pallet, as you'd expect, is a tad thin (80 proof/3 years) and a bit watery, but I can still justify it as a sipper on a hot night or when you want to stay on the lighter side, but still soak up all those juicy rye flavors.

This is probably the perfect mixing rye - I added a few drops of St. Elizabeth's Allspice dram and was bowled over by the heat and spice that the two spirits brought out of each other...

Obviously hard to get hold of, but it's worth every penny of the $18 for a 1.75liter bottle!

Thanks Aaron - this is really worth having on hand!

smokinjoe
08-20-2012, 18:28
This could be one of those "power of suggestion" things, or maybe, it's just a good combo. But, the final part of dinner tonight, was some Tomato Caprese that we whipped up. The basil on the dish was particularly and wonderfully pungent. So afterwards, while I was sitting out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio and sippin' on a little High West Double Rye!, I was smacked in the head with a basil note to this whiskey. It really is a wonderful flavoring, here. The flavor is familiar to both the Barton and LDI ryes, which I think this whiskey is derived from?? It's nice. Very nice. As I said, this could be just a carryover from din-din, but I think there is more to it within my palate. At any rate, I am enjoying this whiskey.

Kyjd75
08-21-2012, 18:38
Knob Creek, and I must say, it is pretty darn good stuff! Really enjoying this pour.

HighInTheMtns
08-22-2012, 18:17
Wild Turkey Rye 101. I really think this is a great pour, and a great value. I'm sad to see it gone.

Young Guns
08-23-2012, 15:37
Rye Turkey 101 here also. My first rye, and I love it. Haven't seen the KC rye yet, but when I do I'm going to grab some.

scratchline
08-23-2012, 15:44
Knob Creek Rye. 23.99 in NYC. Great buy. This is where the price should stay. I'll buy it by the case.

smokinjoe
08-23-2012, 15:48
Knob Creek Rye. 23.99 in NYC. Great buy. This is where the price should stay. I'll buy it by the case.

That is a great buy, Mike. I'm with you on the multiple buys, too, at that price.
:toast:

yountvillewjs
08-23-2012, 17:01

I'd certainly buy one to try at that price.

scratchline
08-23-2012, 17:57
Just got back from the store. Sold out. One 6 bottle case of the KC rye at 24 bucks a bottle was all they had in stock and it's gone. I got 2 bottles. I'm sure the next time I see it on the shelf there it will be 40 plus a bottle. Ah, well.

And this is my 500th post. Took me seven years.

-Mike

Ejmharris
08-23-2012, 18:05

$38 range in Ohio and NKY. I would buy several at that price as well. I had a a bourbon bar a couple of weeks ago and did enjoy it.

WAINWRIGHT
08-23-2012, 18:53

Passed on several today all at $43 something new to the area, so prices around here will be too high as usual for the next couple months:$24 is a steal!

darylld911
08-24-2012, 17:02
Just a sip of some THH 2011 while I load my flask with more for tomorrow nights poker game!

HighInTheMtns
08-24-2012, 17:06
Nice drink to bring to a card game! Hope you take your friends' money in return.

Trey Manthey
08-26-2012, 21:12
Having a glass of Sazerac 18 while I recover from a day of cycling and trying to keep people in NOLA from freaking out about this dang hurricane. I've got plenty of whiskey, so I don't need to evacuate!

However, this bottle has been open too long. I bought it when I quit my job in January 2011 and it's been open longer than anything else I have. The nose and palate are as delicious as ever, but it seems like the finish isn't as nice as it used to be.

DanG
08-26-2012, 21:44
High West Rendezvous. So, so good. Best high-rye rye I've had! Not that I've had so many, but I really love this one.

mosugoji64
08-27-2012, 19:53
WTR101. Picked another one up for the bunker today, so I think I'll be able to survive the drought for a while.

Brisko
08-28-2012, 07:28
Last night was nice pour of Handy with a couple small ice cubes, I let them melt down. Bottle's been open over a year and there might be one, maybe two pours left. Damn, this has gotten better with time. Plus there's a fair amount of char swirling around. Yum.

JB64
08-28-2012, 21:12
Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

DanG
08-29-2012, 06:12
I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.

unclebunk
08-29-2012, 06:39
Enjoying a glass of Rittenhouse BiB tonight. I have just recently added rye whiskey to my drinking rotation and so far I am enjoying the two I have tried. Along with the Ritt I have a bottlle of THH. I am planning on picking up a couple of mid shelfer ryes so I can save the THH until I gain a little better appreciation of what I am tasting. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

See if you can find some WT101 Rye that's still floating around but nearing extinction. It's very good and affordable too in the low $20's. Avoid over-priced boring stuff like Templeton which is decent enough but lacking the zing I like in my ryes.

unclebunk
08-29-2012, 06:49
I just started drinking the High West Rendezvous. I think it's a great pour and it runs $45-ish around here. Maybe some Baby Saz to compare with the THH. And it is a nice rye in its own right. And a lot of people are fans of Bulleit, though I'm not particularly enamored. Might still be a good idea to pick a bottle up if you're trying the big names in the rye world. You'll also know what people mean by LDI rye.

I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?

z327
08-29-2012, 11:46
Finished off the Whistle Pig last night. Met my Kentucky courier for lunch today and took deliver of a 23 Rittenhouse and a Knob Creek Rye. Will try the KCR tonight.

DanG
08-29-2012, 13:44
I'm the last rye lover on the planet who hasn't tried Bulleit Rye yet but thought I'd give it a whirl just to see what it's like. What put you off about it?

I think it's a fine rye, don't get me wrong. I'm just not all that crazy about it. It may be that super-high-rye-content ryes aren't generally my thing, though I do like High West Rendezvous.

Gillman
08-29-2012, 18:43
Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary

WAINWRIGHT
08-29-2012, 18:59
Not quite a rye but an excellent whiskey, High West 21 years old rye mash whiskey. It's aged in reused barrels. It is full-bodied and flavored, almost like a straight.

This is what Canadian whisky would taste like if the flavoring element (whiskey distilled out under 160 proof from a bourbon or rye mash) was aged on its own. I still can't understand why Canadians won't release some of this whiskey on its own.

Gary
Recently bought a bottle a was very curious of the influence of the used cooperage,I am expecting the sweetness and vibrance to play through brilliantly as opposed to taking second seat to barrel char.I would love to hear more tasting notes as you work your way through your bottle.

Gillman
08-30-2012, 04:24
Will do, thanks. I think the long rest in the barrel did help to produce the notable sweetness (this is batch 3 incidentally). Another analogy is to a Scotch malt, true the grains are different (mostly) but you get a long repose in reused barrels in both cases and the resultant sweetness is not that different. I need to taste it again but it may be that the sweet here is more the pure vanilla type as opposed to the red layer smoky sweetness of a typical bourbon or well-aged rye.

Gary

Smithford
08-30-2012, 08:21
Would love to get my hands on some of that HW. It's on my target list for my next trip to the US.

The rye situation here in Ontario (as Gary can attest to) is dire. There are currently zero straight ryes available for sale here. We got a shipment of Baby Saz in June, but that all got snapped up in just a few weeks. The Ritt BIB sold out months ago. I bunkered a few of each and am rationing them very carefully.

I recently found a bar with Willett 4yo on the shelf. A very unusual find here - it must have been purchased privately by the publican. Quite a delicious pour.

humchan2k
08-30-2012, 17:29
Man....I'm always drinking rye...pretty much every day, to be honest.

What I'm digging on lately:

High West Rendezvous - heaven

Willett 5 year Rye - Bulleitt for grown ups at 110 proof...dig this juice

Old Overholt - 1953 bottling - Original Broadford, PA distillery, 100 proof, BIB......holy shit, they do NOT make 'em like this Pennsylvania rye no more.

Old Lamplighter
08-31-2012, 21:48
As the outer bands of what's left of Isaac pass over & college football returns, it's a WT101 Rye night.

Phil T
09-02-2012, 14:58
Starting out the evening with some HWDR!, then maybe some Willett, WTR 101, HW 16yr, or baby Saz??

Phil T
09-02-2012, 16:09
Starting out the evening with some HWDR!, then maybe some Willett, WTR 101, HW 16yr, or baby Saz??

While I'm a fan of WTR 101, and sorry to see it go away, the HWDR! and the Willett are much more full flavored , I'll survive just fine.

Lazer
09-03-2012, 10:35
I just cracked open my first bottle of whistlepig last night and had the first pour. I'm not sold on getting a second bottle yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to the second pour. :cool:

WAINWRIGHT
09-03-2012, 18:05
A couple pours of Ritt and Baby Saz while painting today to keep me" in the zone"the painting sucked, while the value pours were right on key.

HighInTheMtns
09-03-2012, 19:36
Some Rendezvous and Double Rye! tonight.

smokinjoe
09-03-2012, 20:16
Finishing up the long Labor Day Weekend with a stupendous pour of Saz 18. Nothing quite like this whiskey. It truly is special.

JB64
09-04-2012, 20:59
I picked up a bottle of Bulleit rye over the holiday so I could try the LDI 95% rye mashbill. The Bulleit is an interesting flavor change from that of the Ritt BiB I have been drinking. I don't know if I like the Bulleit better than the Ritt but I must say I am more impressed with the Bulleit rye than I was with their bourbon.

I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.

HighInTheMtns
09-05-2012, 06:45
I also picked up some WT101 rye but have not yet had a pour. I feel a little bad because I bought the last 3 bottles on the shelf, I hope I find it to my liking.
Don't feel bad, those bottles have been there for quite a while since the 81 came out. Everyone else had their chance.

Smithford
09-05-2012, 07:00
Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about. :yum:

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.

LostBottle
09-05-2012, 13:05
Had my first sip of Vintage 21 last night. Now I know what all the fuss is about. :yum:

What's the latest educated guess on the provenance of this stuff? Searching all the old threads here makes my head spin, but from what I can tell the Vintage Ryes are Medley, Saz 18 is Bernheim Cream of Kentucky, and current VWFRR is a vatting of the two. Have I got that right? From what I can taste (and remember of the other two), that does make sense.

Regarding KBD provenance, I can point you towards this amazing answer from Drew:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?13585-Whiskey-Trails-17-Year-Old-Bourbon&p=215661&viewfull=1#post215661

(http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?13585-Whiskey-Trails-17-Year-Old-Bourbon&p=215661&viewfull=1#post215661)

MyOldKyDram
09-05-2012, 13:53
Goodness that got heated, ha.

Maybe I sould care, I probably should care, but when it tastes as good as the V21 does, I just can't get too worked up about it.

AaronWF
09-06-2012, 10:00

From what I gathered doing a bit of research, the Saz18 was distilled under contract in 1985 at what is now BT and sold back to BT around '98. Then it was put in stainless around 2003.

I'm not sure about the Vintage ryes, but someone on here remarked that the V21 and the V23 were from different sources. The VWFRR is said to be a vatting of CoK and Medley that was tanked around 2003, and maybe, just maaaaaaybe some 13yo BT-distilled rye thrown in for good measure. But who knows.