PDA

View Full Version : Thomas H Handy

rutterb
06-25-2012, 13:52
See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?

Tico
06-25-2012, 14:07
See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?
Yeah, Handy seems to be the unpopular one along with ER17. I'd be all over the Handy if it were a bit cheaper. There is still over a case of it at $79 at one of my local stores from the fall release.

Young Blacksmith
06-25-2012, 15:43
Same here. If it was $50 I'd spring for a few. At $69 it's kind of a special occasion purchase.

yountvillewjs
06-25-2012, 16:53
I like Handy and think it a fine rye. For the price, I'd take 4 Ritt BiB every time. Nothing wrong with it, just overpriced.

darylld911
06-25-2012, 17:30
Agree - it is one of those "special pour" whiskeys, although I never see it around Atlanta except right after it comes out in the fall. It is my all-time favorite rye, but not a "daily drinker" at that price.

wmpevans
06-25-2012, 19:35
To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.

Tico
06-25-2012, 20:16
To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.
I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

timd
06-25-2012, 20:58
I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

AaronWF
06-25-2012, 21:26
Handy is stellar rye, and your first bottle is not to be missed. Once you know it, however, the high price tag quickly becomes a barrier to entry. My first bottle of 2010 taught me that I love rye whiskey, but I didn't bother to drop another $80 on last year's release. I've picked up a bottle here and there at around $65. If it was $50, I'd never not have any.

LostBottle
06-25-2012, 22:58
Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

Bingo! The barrel-strength Bowman really shows the potential for the Handy with a little extra age on it. I tried both side-by-side and there was no comparison. The Handy smelled, and tasted, like paint thinner (OK not that bad, but you get the picture it was much more astringent and lacking in flavor) in comparison to the richness of the Bowman.

At 6-7 years old, the Handy should be dropped from the antique collection and be available year round for a few bucks less. While a very good rye, it is not one of the greats.

StraightNoChaser
07-15-2012, 15:42
Easily one of my favorite ryes. Some might say I have too much, but I don't have enough :D

Enoch
07-16-2012, 04:52
I'm not sure why but it is never more than $56-57 around Columbia. And almost always, like now, available. My local store owner said the cost to the store is less than $50 but won't tell me exactly how much.

mosugoji64
07-16-2012, 07:04
I know of a few places where I can walk in and take my pick of 2 or 3 different releases of Handy, but the $70-80 price tag keeps me from giving it a try. I am becoming more interested in ryes, so it looks more appealing each time I see it. Maybe one of these days when I'm more flush with cash ...

petrel800
07-17-2012, 07:02
There's a joint here locally (Atlanta) that has multiple bottles and a case on the back shelf. Price is something like $129 a bottle. I'd like to try a bottle, but not that bad. I've seen a couple outside of town for $65, but have never jumped. I might stop and grab one at that price the next time I'm in that area.

darylld911
07-17-2012, 10:45
If I saw it for under $60, I'd definitely but a couple. I think I paid like $75 last fall for mine, and would drink it more often if it wasn't so expensive. It sounds like I need an excuse to go to Columbia, SC! Although the price of gas there/back would kill any savings on a couple of bottles :)

smokinjoe
07-17-2012, 10:55
If I saw it for under $60, I'd definitely but a couple. I think I paid like $75 last fall for mine, and would drink it more often if it wasn't so expensive. It sounds like I need an excuse to go to Columbia, SC! Although the price of gas there/back would kill any savings on a couple of bottles :)

Don't you remember?!?! We now have a GBS Mule in Columbia!! :D

darylld911
07-18-2012, 10:47
Don't you remember?!?! We now have a GBS Mule in Columbia!! :D

Eureka!! I completely forgot!! BigRich - take notes and let me know where to send the checks to (unless you take PayPal, etc) :D

SmoothAmbler
07-18-2012, 15:24
I don't know the pricing, but Thomas Handy is one of my favorite whiskies.

StraightNoChaser
07-24-2012, 11:06
Never paid more than $66 at retail. At that price it's a bargain. More than that and I would seriously hesitate.

Josh
07-24-2012, 15:57
O-ver Ra-ted *clap clap clapclapclap*

sailor22
07-24-2012, 16:05
Damn fine Rye in my book. Seems priced right at $60-65 too.

WAINWRIGHT
07-24-2012, 19:43
Never paid more than $66 at retail. At that price it's a bargain. More than that and I would seriously hesitate.

For $80 round my parts 2 Willett 6yr. for less is a damn fine alternative,I still really like this rye.Makes for one hell of a Manhattan than no Vermouth can trump or over shadow.

The Boozer
07-29-2012, 20:25

I think you are being a little too hard on Mr. Handy, Josh.

Remember, can't get baby Saz at barrel proof.

Josh
07-30-2012, 08:23
Yeah, that's basically what it is. But since the last price hike, it's no longer a good buy even based on proof. It is easy to find in Michigan, tho, so that's something.

OscarV
07-30-2012, 09:32

I can see that.
THH is kinda frustrating too, the first one I had I thought it's not only the best rye I've ever had but one of the best whiskies also.
Then about a third down the bottle the youngness of it kicked in for me and that's why I say it's frustrating.

Could you imagine a 10 or 12yo THH at barrel proof? Wow!

timd
07-30-2012, 11:15

That would be those TPS Bowman Rye's from a few years back - nectar of the gods is what they are. 10+ years, uncut, unfiltered - easily in my Top 10 all time whiskies.

darylld911
07-30-2012, 11:44
I can see that.
THH is kinda frustrating too, the first one I had I thought it's not only the best rye I've ever had but one of the best whiskies also.
Then about a third down the bottle the youngness of it kicked in for me and that's why I say it's frustrating.

Wait a minute - I'm on my first THH ever, and probably 1/3 of the bottle down, and it is hands down my favorite rye (and to your point - one of my favorite whiskies). I'm depressed to think that it is heading downhill from this point on :cry:

timd
07-30-2012, 12:00
Wait a minute - I'm on my first THH ever, and probably 1/3 of the bottle down, and it is hands down my favorite rye (and to your point - one of my favorite whiskies). I'm depressed to think that it is heading downhill from this point on :cry:
Not saying Oscar doesn't know what's up - cause he does - but this isn't something that happens for me. I've had a dozen or more bottles of Handy, and it's always a treat. Not a bad year (although some are better) and never fails to refresh and excite me. I've not had any issues with "youngness" creeping in with THH than I've had with regular Baby Saz (which is to say none).

Everybody's tastes are different - and I love THH, and always find the electric jolt of spice+alcohol to be a winner at every stage in the bottle.

HP12
07-30-2012, 13:18
That would be those TPS Bowman Rye's from a few years back - nectar of the gods is what they are. 10+ years, uncut, unfiltered - easily in my Top 10 all time whiskies.

Yep, I agree. Delicious are those TPS Bowman rye's!

DeanSheen
07-31-2012, 07:14
Yeah, that's basically what it is. But since the last price hike, it's no longer a good buy even based on proof. It is easy to find in Michigan, tho, so that's something.

I like it a lot but don't buy it at $70+. $65 was about it for me.

darylld911
07-31-2012, 08:55
That's the downside of living in Atlanta. IF you can find it, you're almost always paying $70+ for the privilege. I figure since I go through less than a bottle a year, the extra few dollars don't bug me too much (I reckon I could spend time driving further out to maybe find it for less, but I can't picture spending a few hours to save $10; although I completely understand when you're buying multiples!)

The Boozer
08-02-2012, 07:41
I agree w/u Oscar that Handy tends to lose some its its "punch" the longer the bottle sits around. Ironic that VWFRR improves greatly with a little age and air time in the bottle after opening while Handy goes the opposite way. I guess the lesson is to open one of each, drink the Handy quickly first and savor the VWFRR more over time.

I haven't seen a bottle of Handy on any shelves in the last 9 months so Josh you must be shopping some of the stores in the questionable areas of town. :grin:

DPPSmoker
09-08-2012, 10:55
Same here. If it was $50 I'd spring for a few. At $69 it's kind of a special occasion purchase.

Just ran into this - 2010 Handy at Binny's for $50.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Thomas_Handy_Cask_Strength_Straight_Rye_Whiskey_19 3205.html

Lost Pollito
09-08-2012, 11:12
Just ran into this - 2010 Handy at Binny's for $50.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Thomas_Handy_Cask_Strength_Straight_Rye_Whiskey_19 3205.html
FYI...just sold out this morning.

BourbonJoe
10-08-2012, 19:49
What was the age and proof of the 2009 Thomas Handy Rye?
Joe :usflag:

compliance
10-08-2012, 21:43
Opened my 2011 Handy on Saturday. First bottle I've had. Nose was really strong orange juice and tasted of mandarin orange that first day. I still get those notes today but not as much. The proof gives it a lot of power that I like, but I don't think it's that complex beyond that. Needs more age. I'd love this at $40 to $50, at $80 it's over priced. Will probably not buy again.

Tucker
10-09-2012, 05:37
What was the age and proof of the 2009 Thomas Handy Rye?
Joe :usflag:

7 years 3 mos., 129.0

Bmac
10-10-2012, 15:13
I wasnt very imprrssed with it. I have the 2011 release. It's been a long time, maybe it's changed due to some air time. Although I am not sure why it's considered "antique" next to an 18, 17, and 12 yr old whiskey @_@

HP12
10-10-2012, 19:11
2011 THH is Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - 2013 "Whisky of the Year". (http://www.whiskybible.com/pressrelease.htm)

macdeffe
10-10-2012, 20:01
Any mention of JM belongs in the PHC subforum :-)

Steffen

oke&coke
10-10-2012, 22:20
Try getting a bottle of it now. This should be the real test of the e-bay ban.

compliance
10-10-2012, 22:34
Tonight I put Handy up against Willett 5 year rye in a blind taste test. The Willett has been open months, and the Handy about 4 days, so that might not be fair, but I preferred the Willett. The nose is much more open on the Willett and the palate is spicier and richer. Handy is a bit sweeter but with less developed flavors. My wife preferred the nose on Handy, but thought the Willett tasted better. I might try some water in the Handy next.

JLH3
10-11-2012, 22:24
Tonight I put Handy up against Willett 5 year rye in a blind taste test. The Willett has been open months, and the Handy about 4 days, so that might not be fair, but I preferred the Willett. The nose is much more open on the Willett and the palate is spicier and richer. Handy is a bit sweeter but with less developed flavors. My wife preferred the nose on Handy, but thought the Willett tasted better. I might try some water in the Handy next.

I feel the same way. I just finished a bottle of the 3 yr old Willett and liked it better than the bottle of Handy I have (interestingly, you can get Handy in every Bevmo in town). More spice and a better balance. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Handy, but I like the Willett a little more.

macdeffe
10-12-2012, 03:52
Anyone one who believes there's a correlation between whisky bible ratings and the quality of a whisk(e)y hasn't tasted a lot. The book is a total waste of money

Some of the high rated whiskies are indeed good, but a lot of them are just as good as the next bottle, which might be good, but not worth above 90 ratings. Most of his ratings seems very very random to me.

Here is my guide to the whiskybible :

The Whisky Bible Guide
96+ JM is a fan of this distillery or the die came out 6
90-95 It's not sulphured. The die throw was 3, 4 or 5
86-90 It's not sulphured. The die throw was 1 or 2
-85 It might be sulphured
http://www.random.org/ (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.random.org%2F&h=_AQHkVKrBAQHJOdrqlgN8CEx0AG2A2YTWEepwMzu-GNsUcg&s=1)

It's a shame the bottlers of high rated products feel flattered, as their whiskies might, but not necessarily, be somewhat mediocre.
A fat woman also get flattered by compliments, but she is still fat

Steffen

HP12
10-12-2012, 05:20
It's all subjective, isn't it? No matter what the rating scale is, who's it is and what the ratings results are, in the end it's one's own palate that trumps all else.

Josh
10-12-2012, 06:07
^What he said. Jim Murray might think she's fat, I might say she's voluptuous. YMMV.

macdeffe
10-12-2012, 07:24
Random<>Subjective

Nothing wrong with being subjective and having different tastepreferences

Steffen

Jonny.Applebury
10-12-2012, 07:46
It's a shame the bottlers of high rated products feel flattered, as their whiskies might, but not necessarily, be somewhat mediocre.
A fat woman also get flattered by compliments, but she is still fat

I agree completely. Bring me the skinny and beautiful whiskies!

smokinjoe
10-12-2012, 07:55
^^
What both HP and Josh said + 1. Damn the ratings. There is no "consensus". Don't read about it first to see if it's worth trying. If you like it, that's all that counts.

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. I love Jim Murray. He's the only "World Whiskey Writer" that doesn't give short shrift to American whiskies, and he's been on the American Whiskey Renaissance since the beginning. It's only been in recent years that the other WWW's have begrudgingly begun to give American whiskies the attention that they deserve, in a transparent attempt to widen their own customer base(s). But even still, these guys spend an inordinate amount of their focus on cutsey craft distilleries that make bad...or no whiskey, hip mixologists, and acting like they have been here all along. I swear, I don't think most of them could find Kentucky on a map.
:soapbox:

oke&coke
10-12-2012, 13:05
I think one thing we should look at is his decision is why Handy is deserving of the award beyond just the flavor. Some of it may be the quality of the product over the makers normal lineup or that it has improved considerably since the previous tastings.

I personally use the Whiskey Bible for the tasting notes and have on more then one occasion looked at the scoring when having to choose one whiskey over another because of budget. While I have decided that some whiskies were not worth a repurchase do to taste preference or pour value(something the book doesn't go into), I have never found a highly rated product to be lacking in quality.

Josh
10-12-2012, 16:26
I don't buy the whiskey bible, but I don't think there's anything wrong with such a publication, as long as one recognizes that it is, in the end, one person's opinion and YOLO, I mean, YMMV.

White Dog
10-13-2012, 06:42
I buy the Whiskey Bible it when it's $2 in a used book store. It's a hoot.

tanstaafl2
10-14-2012, 15:41
Well, it may be overrated crap and maybe Sazerac is in cahoots with Jim Murray to add an extra special dose of overrated crap and drum up more interest in them by getting it named the #1 whiskey of the year but I stumbled across a couple more 2011 bottles sitting on the shelf from last year so I decided I would pick them up for the hell of it. I am still unsure how one knows if it is the 2011 bottling other than the proof. Is there any kind of marking that makes it identifiable? Otherwise I guess I can turn to the BTAC info thread.

I have no interest in trying to sell them but I am always amenable to trading whiskey if and when the opportunity arises. And if I don't happen upon a trade for them I still think its a fine whiskey even if perhaps a bit overpriced and will enjoy drinking them down the road at some point.

timd
10-15-2012, 09:59
I am still unsure how one knows if it is the 2011 bottling other than the proof. Is there any kind of marking that makes it identifiable?

It's all about the ABV for Stagg, Handy & Weller.

Handy is an absolute cracker of a whiskey. Probably my favorite of the BTAC, and I have no issue with it as #1 whiskey - it really is that good, and each year's batches are always good. Sure, slight differences year to year, but all the bottles I've had kick ass.

The only better (not ultra aged) ryes are TPS Bowman Rye bottlings - and those are gone. Handy comes out every year... Thank goodness!

tanstaafl2
10-15-2012, 13:02
It's all about the ABV for Stagg, Handy & Weller.

Handy is an absolute cracker of a whiskey. Probably my favorite of the BTAC, and I have no issue with it as #1 whiskey - it really is that good, and each year's batches are always good. Sure, slight differences year to year, but all the bottles I've had kick ass.

The only better (not ultra aged) ryes are TPS Bowman Rye bottlings - and those are gone. Handy comes out every year... Thank goodness!

Based on the proof it appears they are not 2011 bottles after all but the new 2012 bottling as they are 132.4p. Which is OK by me because now I can try one side by side with one of my bottles of the 2011 version for a little comparison. May throw the new Taylor Rye in there for a taste of something that I would expect to be notably different.