PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

T Comp
07-11-2012, 06:10
Hey it's a week past 4th of July and most of us have been broiling for weeks. It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

And my latest beer quaffs have been the readily accessible SN Torpedo and GL Dortmunder Gold.

unclebunk
07-11-2012, 06:24
Hey it's a week past 4th of July and most of us have been broiling for weeks. It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

And my latest beer quaffs have been the readily accessible SN Torpedo and GL Dortmunder Gold.

That's good news, Big T. I've been hearing guys rave about Oskar Blues for ages now and will finally get to try some. Last night I had a couple of bottles of New Belgium Somersault and they did absolutely nothing for me. I was looking for something summery and refreshing and the guy at Trader Joe's told me that the Somersault had a hint of apricot, kind of like Magic Hat #9. I must have missed something, as I found the beer too light and a tad fizzy without any of the bold flavors of #9. But now you've got me thinking about GL Dortmunder Gold...:grin:

AaronWF
07-11-2012, 09:36
It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

That's great news; for all the praise I've heard about Oskar Blues, I've never tasted any. Looking forward to it.

I've been slowly drinking the last 6-pack of Zombie Dust I think I'll find for awhile while otherwise bathing myself in DFH 60min. Man, I love that stuff! I also took a chance with Victory's Headwater's Pale Ale; nothing to it, won't be buying it again.

OscarV
07-11-2012, 12:18
Arcadia Ales Sky High rye today.
Not a bad little number.
I prefer Founders Red's Rye PA though.

MyOldKyDram
07-11-2012, 17:47
Dortmunder Gold.

Enough people here have spoken highly of it that I had to give it a whirl.

MyOldKyDram
07-12-2012, 14:38
Devil Dancer on tap at Lexington Beerworks.

Clavius
07-12-2012, 18:58
Heineken... from a can.

I'm a rebel.

clingman71
07-12-2012, 19:12
Homebrew Rye tonight, around 5%, light spicy body, hoppy flavor and finish without being overly bitter as it didn't have the body to carry much bitterness.

unclebunk
07-13-2012, 06:26
Czechvar and Primator, two classic Bohemian pilsners that I wish I could find on tap.

soonami
07-13-2012, 14:52
I think I'll open a Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown (9% abv brown ale aged on hazelnut coffee) and Jester King Petit Prince (3% farmhouse ale) tonight with some friends. I think I'll bring over some bourbon or rye tonight to, just have to decide which

MyOldKyDram
07-13-2012, 17:30
Stopped and had a Dogfish Head Unkontinent and a Founders Double Trouble in between work and home.

clingman71
07-13-2012, 18:47
Avery 19 and a GLBC Lake Erie Monster tonight.

moose
07-13-2012, 19:31
Tried a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy earlier. It's not the beer for me to say the least. I'd rather have a Sprite. Moved on to an OB Old Chub, an old standby, glad to hear some of you guys are now going to get OB in your local stores. Can't decide what to have next, have an Odell's Mountain Standard in the cave, but I think its time to move on to a pour of OWA, then off to bed.

OscarV
07-14-2012, 13:06
Czechvar and Primator, two classic Bohemian pilsners that I wish I could find on tap.

For Czechvar on tap try Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave. 60647

T Comp
07-14-2012, 13:23
For Czechvar on tap try Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave. 60647

And Quenchers is only one block north of one of the best aquarium smoker bbq places in town, Honey1 BBQ, run by Robert Adams Sr. and JR. The tips and links match the excellence of the 2 southside joints, Uncle John's and Lem's.

Unfortunately it looks like Czechvar is now off the tap menu boys but the Arcadia Hop Mouth, North Coast Le Merle and Unibroue Blanche de Chambly are just a few of the 22 on tap that could keep my interest for awhile.

clingman71
07-14-2012, 18:47
FFF Alpha Klaus porter and Mikkeller Bourbon barrel Black Hole stout

Bourbon Boiler
07-14-2012, 20:02
Bell's Third Coast this afternoon on a terribly hot day in Kalamzoo, MI.

unclebunk
07-14-2012, 21:43
And Quenchers is only one block north of one of the best aquarium smoker bbq places in town, Honey1 BBQ, run by Robert Adams Sr. and JR. The tips and links match the excellence of the 2 southside joints, Uncle John's and Lem's.

Unfortunately it looks like Czechvar is now off the tap menu boys but the Arcadia Hop Mouth, North Coast Le Merle and Unibroue Blanche de Chambly are just a few of the 22 on tap that could keep my interest for awhile.

Thanks for the info. Beer and BBQ on a Sunday afternoon sounds like a plan.

bigtoys
07-16-2012, 21:27
​Actually, we're liking the Leiney Summer Shandy. Had a few at Lumpy's (on tap) and at Pitlik's (bottles) in Eagle River, WI over the weekend. More lemony than the Shocktop Lemon Shandy. I can see how some wouldn't like it as it has a strong lemonade taste, but on a hot summer day, it's pretty good.

​http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0932.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0937.jpg

smokinjoe
07-17-2012, 14:12
Founder's Red Rye P.A. to end this mostly good, some meh, work day.

OscarV
07-17-2012, 14:22
Founder's Red Rye P.A. to end this mostly good, some meh, work day.

I'm right there with you Brother.
I had to pick up a few items at the grocery store on the way home from work and I included in the haul a turkey focaccia sandwich and a 6-pak of Founders Red Rye PA.
Ain't nothing like drinking and driving!

moose
07-17-2012, 19:45
I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it. Just not a beer for me.

Right now I am having an Old Chub from OB. It's a big beer, lots of malt, rich but not too much so. Always been a good beer, especially for $7.99 for a 6pk.

jcg9779
07-18-2012, 07:07
SN Torpedo last night. I like this beer a lot, but it didn't really hit the spot last night.

soonami
07-18-2012, 08:31
Round Guys Berliner Weisse and Green Flash Double Stout at Memphis Taproom in Philly last night.

Round Guys is a local brewery, so I wanted to support them and buy a pour. It annoyed me that the 4% abv beer came in a tulip, but w/e. The beer though was very tart up front, but had no finish it tasted mostly like fizzy lemon water. It didn't have the wheaty finish or flavor the better Berliners have. I know the body is supposed to be superlight, but in this case it was non-existent.

The Green Flash Double Stout was perfectly fine, but pretty boring. I had tried almost everything else on the draft list, or was not interested in them so I figured I'd give this beer a shot. It was fine, not too bitter or sweet, moderate roastiness and full bodied. It just wasn't as assertive as I was expecting.

Neither beers were disappointing, but nothing great either.

Gillman
07-18-2012, 12:25
Beck's!

It is now brewed in the States and as far as I am concerned, i) follows the original recipe, and ii) is superior to the import due to the freshness factor. It tastes like a good craft beer and lager is a style difficult to get right for microbrewers. Sometimes licensing arrangements (or however they have done it) are salutary.

Gary

OscarV
07-18-2012, 12:38
I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it.

If I may correct you Sir, please don't take offence.
Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is Wisconsin's finest,...that is if you are into deer camps and pickled hard boiled eggs.
Anheuser-Busch's Shock Top (Like Coor's Blue Moon) Lemon Shandy is the one the one that "Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it.
Your're welcome.:grin:

White Dog
07-18-2012, 14:18
No one drinks Shandy on it's own in Wisconsin. It's blended with Leine's Berry in a 50/50 mixture. No B.S.

stevegoz
07-18-2012, 15:17
I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it. Just not a beer for me.

I've been enjoying some nice homemade shandys this summer -- about two and a half parts Anchor Summer Ale to one part Pellegrino Limonata.

unclebunk
07-20-2012, 06:26
I've been enjoying some nice homemade shandys this summer -- about two and a half parts Anchor Summer Ale to one part Pellegrino Limonata.

Now you're talking, man. That sounds like a fine shandy for a hot summer day. Think I'll grab the stuff to make my own this weekend.

unclebunk
07-20-2012, 06:30
Last night I finished off the three remaining bottles of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold hiding in the back of the fridge and then couldn't find anything else to follow with that appealed to me. I hate that when that happens.

stevegoz
07-20-2012, 13:40
Now you're talking, man. That sounds like a fine shandy for a hot summer day. Think I'll grab the stuff to make my own this weekend.

Back into the 90s tomorrow -- sounds like a smart plan.

I may have to dig into my new, very precious stash of Heady Topper....

T Comp
07-21-2012, 06:51
A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.

ratcheer
07-21-2012, 08:44
I bought a case of Budweiser for my birthday yesterday, iced it in a cooler on the deck, and my son and I drank it while we were putting together my Big Green Egg.

Tim

Tico
07-26-2012, 18:12
A few pints of Pliny The Elder on tap. $3 pints during happy hour too!

bllygthrd
07-26-2012, 18:58
just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left. :lol:

clingman71
07-26-2012, 19:01
Stillwater Of Love and Regret Saison, a Tyranena Hop Whore, and some homebrews.

stevegoz
07-26-2012, 21:16
As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!

unclebunk
07-27-2012, 07:20
As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!

Tyranena and Central Waters are doing some nice stuff these days, though I haven't checked out the ones you mentioned. Their IPA's were quite good and I look forward to sampling more of their brews.

unclebunk
07-27-2012, 07:21
A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.

That sounds great. Where did you find it, Thad?

unclebunk
07-27-2012, 07:24
just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left. :lol:

Great score! Congrats on the wedding. Sounds like you guys will be drinking in style.:cool:

stevegoz
07-27-2012, 08:14
Tyranena and Central Waters are doing some nice stuff these days, though I haven't checked out the ones you mentioned. Their IPA's were quite good and I look forward to sampling more of their brews.

I'm a huge fan of both. Central Waters does a lot of barrel aging -- both the bourbon barrel stout and bourbon barrel barleywine are great, relatively easy to find upon release (especially the stout) and nicely priced at 12 bucks a four pack (bearing in mind this is high-octane brew). And I believe they've actually expanded their capacity for barreling over the past few months.

If you told me that I could only drink beers from the Lake Michigan states for the rest of my life, I'd actually be okay with that. New Glarus, Tyranena, Central Waters, Goose Island, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Founders, Bell's -- all favorites of mine. And I haven't even had anything yet from the likes of Revolution and Jolly Pumpkin!

sailor22
07-27-2012, 09:47
I keep coming back to Founders Dirty Bastard - It's a desert beer that I find myself pouring every evening. Just delicious, YMMV of course.

unclebunk
07-27-2012, 10:45
I'm a huge fan of both. Central Waters does a lot of barrel aging -- both the bourbon barrel stout and bourbon barrel barleywine are great, relatively easy to find upon release (especially the stout) and nicely priced at 12 bucks a four pack (bearing in mind this is high-octane brew). And I believe they've actually expanded their capacity for barreling over the past few months.

If you told me that I could only drink beers from the Lake Michigan states for the rest of my life, I'd actually be okay with that. New Glarus, Tyranena, Central Waters, Goose Island, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Founders, Bell's -- all favorites of mine. And I haven't even had anything yet from the likes of Revolution and Jolly Pumpkin!

Then head over to Brixie's ASAP because they now have several Revolution beers on tap. I'm with you on the upper Midwest beer thing. Wisconsin and Michigan are kicking ass these days and Indiana and Illinois aren't far behind. These are great beer times!

stevegoz
07-27-2012, 15:18
Then head over to Brixie's ASAP because they now have several Revolution beers on tap. I'm with you on the upper Midwest beer thing. Wisconsin and Michigan are kicking ass these days and Indiana and Illinois aren't far behind. These are great beer times!

Thanks for the tip! I may have to head there tomorrow night to see my buddy's band play. (Half of my graduating class from high school is going to be in attendance.) And according to beermenus.com, I can punch off FFF Gorch Fock from my untried beers list too. Plus, Founder's Devil Dancer for $9.50 a bottle is a steal, relatively speaking. And two beers from Solemn Oath? Naperville, represent! lol

T Comp
07-28-2012, 11:23

That sounds great. Where did you find it, Thad?

The Glenview House in where else but Glenview :grin:. An original 1878 building and roadhouse that underwent a multi dollars renovation and transformation; from long worn out tavern to gastropub, by new owners also associated with a place in the city proper, Bar on Buena.

DPPSmoker
07-28-2012, 14:46
I picked up a four pack of Founder's Cerise today along with a PHC Golden Anniversary. I haven't decided yet which one I am drinking tonight.

stevegoz
07-28-2012, 14:50
I picked up a four pack of Founder's Cerise today along with a PHC Golden Anniversary. I haven't decided yet which one I am drinking tonight.

Mix 'em together in an attempt to one-up Red Stag? :grin:

DPPSmoker
07-28-2012, 14:56
Mix 'em together in an attempt to one-up Red Stag? :grin:

Good one. I laughed so hard I almost choked myself.

clingman71
07-28-2012, 15:24
The Bruery Tart of Darkness sour. A little unique in that it is a sour stout instead of the normal lambic or flemish oud bruin. Very, very sour, slight roastiness underneath the sour, excellent beer.

OscarV
07-28-2012, 15:56
A Founders Devil Dancer, ungodly ibu's.

soonami
07-28-2012, 20:34
Had a Yuengling lager at the beach today and some New Glarus Raspberry Tart with a dinner of grilled Salmon and veggies with roasted potatoes

fussychicken
07-29-2012, 22:19
Wow, been going crazy on beer lately. Haven't had a pour of bourbon in weeks.

Had a great tasting with friends this weekend who are fellow beer geeks and we popped a few hard to get brews

Pliny: Always great, but light and smooth compared to other DIPAs
Ballast Point Dorado DIPA: Heard they haven't brewed a batch in a long time. Agree with another review that called it a "super Sculpin." Highly tasty
Alpine Pure Hoppiness: Holy cow, can't believe I found some of this. Finding Alpine these days is so hard. Great well balanced DIPA
Stone Ruination 10th Anny: Love me some stone, but talk about an acquired taste. BIG hops, and BIG malt. Surprisingly sweet to go with the huge bitter.

Switched over to some sours

Consecration: Can't ever go wrong here
Bruery Tart of Darkness: Oh man! A little one dimensional with the sour (not so much tart or barnyard) but MAN so tasty! Would love to stock up on this

And for desert:

Firestone Parabola 2012: MMM! First time I've had it. I can understand the hype. Great way to finish the night.

Have to admit that I'm jealous of those that can get fresh Zombie Dust! I've been enjoying Drake's Alpha Session instead out here.

OscarV
07-30-2012, 08:02
A few to many Founders Red's Rye PA last night but that's OK, the vacation continues.

Clavius
07-31-2012, 16:53
I'm on a beer kick of late. Kinda gotten bored with bourbon (!). Right now I'm drinking some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Good quality stuff.

unclebunk
08-01-2012, 12:25
I normally don't like my Guinness ice cold (or to even drink much stout during the hot weather months) but I cut the grass today and had a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout 22 oz. bomber straight from the freezer after 30 minutes chilling time. Man, that beer hit the spot and has me re-thinking porters and stouts this time of year. Nice suggestion, Mr. Gillman!

clingman71
08-01-2012, 19:23
Dogfish Head Burton Baton, very flavorful, hoppy, but the hops are very balanced and well integrated.

stevegoz
08-01-2012, 22:34
Had a few new ones tonight at The Fountainhead on Chicago's north side. Three beers, all brewed within an hour of the gastropub. Half Acre's Akari Shogun, the kegs of which could literally have been rolled or dollied over from the brewery three blocks away -- decent pale wheat ale. Followed that with an Anti-Hero IPA by Revolution Brewing -- again nice enough, but nothing great. (My city friends tell me it's not one of Revolution's better offerings. This one probably made it over by truck; the brewery is a few miles away from the venue.) The third one was a very tasty white ale with coriander, Khloros by Solemn Oath Brewing of Naperville, IL (closer to my own home than where I was). It's good to drink local!

unclebunk
08-02-2012, 05:37
Had a few new ones tonight at The Fountainhead on Chicago's north side. Three beers, all brewed within an hour of the gastropub. Half Acre's Akari Shogun, the kegs of which could literally have been rolled or dollied over from the brewery three blocks away -- decent pale wheat ale. Followed that with an Anti-Hero IPA by Revolution Brewing -- again nice enough, but nothing great. (My city friends tell me it's not one of Revolution's better offerings. This one probably made it over by truck; the brewery is a few miles away from the venue.) The third one was a very tasty white ale with coriander, Khloros by Solemn Oath Brewing of Naperville, IL (closer to my own home than where I was). It's good to drink local!

I had the same feeling about Anti-Hero IPA. Maybe they should re-name it Anti-Climax IPA.:grin: I'm still the last person in Chicago who hasn't sampled the entire Half Acre line, and I didn't even know Solemn Oath existed!

stevegoz
08-02-2012, 07:39
I had the same feeling about Anti-Hero IPA. Maybe they should re-name it Anti-Climax IPA.:grin: I'm still the last person in Chicago who hasn't sampled the entire Half Acre line, and I didn't even know Solemn Oath existed!

I've missed out on a lot of Half Acre product because I don't generally buy growlers due to their short shelf life. (Half of their releases never make it to bottles or cans. I lived a block from the brewery back in 2000-2001 and would've felt differently back when I was hosting a weekly poker game. Shame they waited to open 'til I had moved out of the city.) I love their imperial stouts, Big Hugs (coffee stout) and Baume (rye stout). Maybe I should throw one in the freezer before mowing the lawn this weekend! :cool:

I also had a can of this abomination (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/rss/ci_15619382) last night. It was brown and smokey alright, but otherwise didn't live up to its name.

AaronWF
08-02-2012, 08:04

I ran into the Anti-Hero IPA on tap at Whole Foods last night while picking up a quick dinner, and I couldn't resist. Context was king, as it hit the spot for me. It wasn't the most balanced IPA I've had, but it was super fresh with a hint of pine on the palate crown and a thick weighty finish.

As for Half Acre, I loved Daisy Cutter a few years ago, but it's gotten sweeter since then and I don't care for it anymore. I do wish they brewed their Double Daisy Cutter more often, though, because I really liked that stuff.

Moving on, I picked up a 6er of Central Water Glacial Trail IPA after seeing mention of the brewery in here. A completely neutral IPA with nothing very interesting about it at all. A let down.

unclebunk
08-02-2012, 08:20
Had a Yuengling lager at the beach today and some New Glarus Raspberry Tart with a dinner of grilled Salmon and veggies with roasted potatoes

Despite their recent expansion in distribution, I'm still not seeing Yuengling around here, though I continually look whenever I hit my local liquor stores. One case ought to do me and will be nice to have in the beer fridge.

MyOldKyDram
08-02-2012, 15:36
Two local beers from West Sixth...

Had their Saison Bellaire and Second Fiddle Simcoe. Plus some tongue tacos from a Mexican food truck. Good night.

OscarV
08-02-2012, 16:30
I have never had a Sierra Nevada of any type so today I picked up a 6-pak of their Torpedo Extra IPA.
It weighs in at 65 IBU's and 7.2% ABV.
Decent dark copper color and an off white head, good looking brew.
It was a bit subdued for my taste and had this bothersome pine needle taste and aroma, although it's faint but pine just isn't my favorite flavor.
Now I have to admit that this wasn't a fair tasting for Torpedo, these past 4 or 5 months I have been on a steady beer diet of the best in the country.
Arcadia HopMouth & Hop Rocket, Bell's Hopslam and Founders Double Trouble & Red's Rye PA.
Take away the pine taste and Torpedo would be a decent session beer but nothing to get excited about.

univibe88
08-02-2012, 16:43
Good timing on the Torpedo. Today is #IPAday

I got a bomber of Stone Ruination and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid to celebrate.

clingman71
08-02-2012, 20:05
Moylan's Hopsickle to celebrate IPA day.

stevegoz
08-02-2012, 21:24
Couple of American IPAs to celebrate National IPA Day: an Avery IPA and a Solemn Oath Snaggletooth Bandana.

ThomasH
08-04-2012, 16:03
Having a Bud Light Lime-a-Rrta. Keep hearing about this stuff and finally found some. Not bad over ice!

Thomas

unclebunk
08-04-2012, 16:24
Couple of bottles of Atwater Dirty Blonde (from Detroit) this afternoon which hit the spot. But tonight I'm going with Radeberger Pilsner, a fine East German beer, and I'm planning on having plenty of 'em. (And some bourbon too but I haven't worked out that end of things yet.)

OscarV
08-04-2012, 17:08
A Dark Horse IPA on tap at a bar today with lunch.
Dark Horse is in Marshall MI, one of many great MI brews.

AaronWF
08-04-2012, 17:11
I had a surprisingly light lunch of Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. I'm usually not a big fan of stouts, but I thought it balanced a roasted chocolate maltiness with good carbonation for a less syrupy texture that I prefer.

I followed it up with a Green Flash Imperial IPA that was delicious! Not as piney and complex as 3 Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf, but a well-hopped, very refreshing beer that handles its ABV well.

OscarV
08-06-2012, 14:50
Stopped at a local brick & mortar on the way home to see what's new and I find something old.
Two 4-paks of Arcadia Hop Rocket made their way home with me and only 5 are left.

Lazer
08-06-2012, 19:25
Saranac Rye IPA, "We've stepped away from the mold of typical IPA's and selected premium Rye Malt and a unique mix of spicy hops..."

Tastes like a good IPA.

chouffe62
08-06-2012, 23:28
Fresh Heady Topper from The Alchemist.

unclebunk
08-07-2012, 08:55
Magic Hat #9. This beer improves after it warms a bit. I pulled two from the fridge at the same time and the second bottle was much better than the first.

stevegoz
08-07-2012, 10:08
Fresh Heady Topper from The Alchemist.

Amen to that. Though mine is already 23 days old, so it's lost all of its hops. :lol:

MrAtomic
08-08-2012, 16:33
Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste.

I haven't developed a taste for very hoppy beers. I'd say Anchor Steam Beer nails the sort of bitterness I enjoy. But I've been looking for a domestic pilsner to replace Anchor Steam as my summer go-to. Does anyone have any suggestions for a craft pilsner or something similar that's nationally available (or at least near Santa Barbara, CA)?

Thanks

Tony
08-08-2012, 16:46
Bells Oberon, my summer go to beer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

stevegoz
08-09-2012, 09:53
Ran through what a buddy termed my "best of summer" flight yester-eve -- New Glarus Spotted Cow, Bells Oberon, Arcadia Whitsun and Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss.

Then for a night cap, some delicious Boulevard Rye-on-Rye.

unclebunk
08-09-2012, 12:57
Ran through what a buddy termed my "best of summer" flight yester-eve -- New Glarus Spotted Cow, Bells Oberon, Arcadia Whitsun and Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss.

Then for a night cap, some delicious Boulevard Rye-on-Rye.

Those Boulevard beers ain't too shabby. I had never even heard of Boulevard until earlier this year but I've enjoyed everything I've had so far.

hectic1
08-09-2012, 13:27
Watching the woman's soccer game and enjoying some Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's and some Dale's Pale Ale...Go USA...:)

stevegoz
08-09-2012, 14:07
Those Boulevard beers ain't too shabby. I had never even heard of Boulevard until earlier this year but I've enjoyed everything I've had so far.

They just entered the Chicago market last year IIRC. Very solid offerings all around. I eagerly await their fall offering, Bob's '47 Oktoberfest.

I'm having lunch in Naperville tomorrow at the new Q location, then planning to hit Solemn Oath's tasting room afterwards.

Clavius
08-09-2012, 17:09
West Sixth IPA, currently my favorite beer. AND it's locally made:

www.westsixth.com

smokinjoe
08-13-2012, 15:48
A new brewery in town, Red Hare Brewing has been getting some pretty good pub and a fair amount of exposure. So, I'm trying their "Long Day Lager" Bohemian style pilsner after work. Nice golden beer, that's not in the least bit bitter, very full creamy body, and a good solid drinker. Nothing "off" in it whatsoever. Pretty good for this brewery which is not yet one year old. Based on this positive experience, I'll certainly seek out their other offerings.

DaveOfAtl
08-13-2012, 19:18
A new brewery in town, Red Hare Brewing has been getting some pretty good pub and a fair amount of exposure. So, I'm trying their "Long Day Lager" Bohemian style pilsner after work. Nice golden beer, that's not in the least bit bitter, very full creamy body, and a good solid drinker. Nothing "off" in it whatsoever. Pretty good for this brewery which is not yet one year old. Based on this positive experience, I'll certainly seek out their other offerings.

I liked it too, Joe. Picked up a growler of the Long Day a while back and it went fast.

BoozeTraveler
08-13-2012, 21:11
Fremont Brewing Company's Kentucky Dark Star Stout. I scored a case of it after having had it at a local beer club gathering. It's one of the best stouts I've ever had the pleasure of putting to my lips, and I can't wait to see how it is after it has been laid down for a few years.

Can't wait to try the Red Hare offerings when I get to Atlanta in a couple of weeks.

unclebunk
08-14-2012, 05:58
Back to the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night as the temps dipped into the low 60's. Naturally, I had to have some Irish whiskey to go with it--a bird can't fly on just one wing--so I poured a nice tall glass Connemara Peated Single Malt and away I went.

smokinjoe
08-14-2012, 19:18
A Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while listening to the Braves on the radio, tonight. Wonderful. So wonderful, that I may judge all other "Big Hoppy Beers" against it....Of course...I...was listenin' to a Braves 6-0 shutout...:crazy: Maybe...influenced my opinion....:D

clingman71
08-14-2012, 20:08
Uinta Twisted Smile Imp Pils. Very flavorful, bigger and more flavorful than DFH My Antonia, not as hoppy as the old Sam Adams Hallertauer Imp Pils.

unclebunk
08-15-2012, 07:34
A Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while listening to the Braves on the radio, tonight. Wonderful. So wonderful, that I may judge all other "Big Hoppy Beers" against it....Of course...I...was listenin' to a Braves 6-0 shutout...:crazy: Maybe...influenced my opinion....:D

I like that one too, Joe. And it's always priced well around here compared to the other Imperial IPA-type bombers on the shelf. And the Braves march on. Always good listening to baseball on the radio. Makes for a nice change of pace from sitting in front of the tube which my young son still can't understand. ("Why listen when you can go inside and watch it?):grin:

OscarV
08-15-2012, 14:34
A couple of Arcadia HopMouth for the ride home.
Breaking the law, breaking the law!!!

MrAtomic
08-15-2012, 15:04
Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.

Clavius
08-15-2012, 18:53
Sierra Nevada Torpedo for me tonight!

unclebunk
08-15-2012, 19:28
Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.

Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. Pilsner Urquell, at least to my taste buds, isn't is good as it once was, perhaps due to shortcuts taken to keep up with the export market, so I actually prefer Czechvar these days over PU. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.

MrAtomic
08-16-2012, 17:46
Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.

Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.

AaronWF
08-17-2012, 15:20
Half Acre Brewery right here in Chicago collaborates with 3 Floyds a few times a year, and their latest batch is Shewolf, an IPA coming in around 8%. I was lucky enough to take the day off today and grab a handful of bombers of this intense IPA that is very much like the love child of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Zombie Dust. It has a beautiful grassy citrus profile of hops and just enough malt to flesh out the body and round out the finish.

Nothing like a well-hopped fresh-brewed IPA in my book, especially (and not to take anything away from my local Half Acre) from the boys at 3 Floyds.

unclebunk
08-17-2012, 15:52
Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.

I'm afraid the Bakalar will be hard to find. Even with our huge Czech community here in Chicago, I rarely see it on the shelves. (I know of one or two outlets nearby that carry it but that's about it.) If you do track down Primator (an excellent pilsner that tastes quite a bit like Gambrinus which sadly is no longer exported to the US), be sure to get their standard pilsner and not the bock, which is okay but not really the one you're after. Staropramen from Prague is decent too but not as good as these others, IMO. Happy hunting!

smokinjoe
08-17-2012, 16:07
Tonight, it's more like what beer I'm not drinking....and then pouring down the drain....Sam Adams "Thirteenth Hour". Hideous. Blech...Blech...BLECH!!!! Tasted like an over coffeed stout that is mixed 50:50 with stale Cold Duck...BLECH!!!!! Did I say, BLECH!!!!! Yuck...spit...spit...thwaeeaapppp...spit...

Now, I'll just go to a Two Hearted Ale to try and cleanse the funk.

AaronWF
08-17-2012, 17:39
And Zombie Dust follows the Shewolf to perfect effect; less malty body more overload on grassy citrus. Mmmmmmm...

stevegoz
08-18-2012, 13:45
Enjoyed two and a half snifters of Firestone-Walker Parabola Barrel-Aged Stout on tap last night -- outstanding beer for the cool evening. Also had yet another winner from Lagunitas, Fusion VIII, and a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' from them as well. Can't wait for Lagunitas to set up their tasting room on the near south side later this year, and the brewery next year.

T Comp
08-19-2012, 08:33
3F Zombie Dust on tap from a freshly tapped keg and North Coast Old Stock Ale 2011 also from the tap.

unclebunk
08-19-2012, 17:47
Just a bunch of ice cold Old Style while watching sports on tv. Nothing fancy but it hit the spot.

smokinjoe
08-19-2012, 18:26
Been sittin' out back sippin' on my last Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Now, I must wait until KBF, when I can pick up more of this fantastic beer while in Kentucky.

GOCOUGS2002
08-19-2012, 19:06
New Belgium Ranger...the hops immediately hit you in the face

ratcheer
08-20-2012, 07:34
For the first time this weekend, I tried the Sam Adams Octoberfest special brew. IMHO, it is exceptionally good. I got a case at Costco for $27, which is much better than the $9 or so that SA sells for by the 6-pack around here.

Tim

unclebunk
08-20-2012, 09:01
For the first time this weekend, I tried the Sam Adams Octoberfest special brew. IMHO, it is exceptionally good. I got a case at Costco for $27, which is much better than the $9 or so that SA sells for by the 6-pack around here.

Tim

We just had a lengthy discussion about SA Oktoberfest too, now that it's shown up on store shelves, along with Spaten's classic Oktoberfest. I usually get a case of each and they last me through the next few months when I just peck away at them a few at a time. Enjoy, Tim!

jcg9779
08-20-2012, 09:07
This weekend I enjoyed a Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Sweetwater Festive that had been hiding in the back of the fridge.

Clavius
08-21-2012, 14:19
Just picked up a Rogue Chipotle Ale. Rogue is my favorite brewery at the moment. But this Chipotle Ale isn't what I thought it would be. It isn't bad per se. I just expected more pepper kick.

OscarV
08-22-2012, 17:31
Today I picked up a 6 of Snake Dog India Pale Ale from the fine folks at Flying Dog Ales of Fredrick, MD.
Good IPA, weighs in at 7.1%ABV & 60IBU.
It is a worthy brother of MI fine IPA's and better than the ones I have had from CO & CA.
This leads me to a question.
Back in the early to mid 1990's there was a micro brewer in Fredrick, MD.
I took the tour and afterwards got to sample their wheat beer, it was the best I ever had.
But what ever happened to Fredrick Brewery?
Did they become Flying Dog?

sutton
08-22-2012, 18:20
Had a Moretti Rossa - a doppelbock - not bad.

unclebunk
08-23-2012, 06:11
Ice cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale after cutting the grass last night. Tasty!

OscarV
08-29-2012, 14:54
Today I picked up a 6 of Snake Dog India Pale Ale from the fine folks at Flying Dog Ales of Fredrick, MD.
Good IPA, weighs in at 7.1%ABV & 60IBU.
It is a worthy brother of MI fine IPA's and better than the ones I have had from CO & CA.
This leads me to a question.
Back in the early to mid 1990's there was a micro brewer in Fredrick, MD.
I took the tour and afterwards got to sample their wheat beer, it was the best I ever had.
But what ever happened to Fredrick Brewery?
Did they become Flying Dog?

This just in from Erin Biles, Public Relations Manager of Flying Dog Ales,...

Hey Oscar,

The physical building aside, Flying Dog has no connection to Frederick Brewing Company.

Cheers!
Erin
---
Erin Biles
Public Relations Manager

unclebunk
08-29-2012, 16:05
Picked up twelve packs of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Spaten Oktoberfest and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the latter to be consumed over the next few days when temps are supposed to climb back into the nineties. Will be hitting the Oktoberfest beers when temps drop in the evening and I've got one bottle of Aventinus left for the grand finale.

OscarV
08-29-2012, 17:15
Picked up twelve packs of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Spaten Oktoberfest and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the latter to be consumed over the next few days when temps are supposed to climb back into the nineties. Will be hitting the Oktoberfest beers when temps drop in the evening and I've got one bottle of Aventinus left for the grand finale.

I always liked Hacker-Pschorr OctoberFest, haven't seen it around the last couple of years.

HighInTheMtns
08-29-2012, 19:35
I'm drinking a Hop Notch from Uinta Brewing. It's a fairly recent release and I've been loving it ever since. It's always great to see a new full-strength beer in Utah, particularly an IPA.

T Comp
08-29-2012, 21:46
I'm drinking a Hop Notch from Uinta Brewing. It's a fairly recent release and I've been loving it ever since. It's always great to see a new full-strength beer in Utah, particularly an IPA.

I was impressed with their Duhbe Imperial Black Ale I had on tap a few weeks ago. Certainly not an everyday sipper but still in balance between hops and roasted malt and in spite of 9.2 % ABV and 109 IBU's. Saw bottles of it here the other day at Binny's too.

unclebunk
08-30-2012, 05:44
I always liked Hacker-Pschorr OctoberFest, haven't seen it around the last couple of years.

I like that one too. I actually think I saw it yesterday, come to think of it.

Clavius
08-30-2012, 17:13
I bought a sixer of Sam Adams Octoberfest and it is excellent. I can't believe I've never tried this before. I'll definitely be checking out a few more Oktoberfest releases.

unclebunk
08-30-2012, 18:40
I bought a sixer of Sam Adams Octoberfest and it is excellent. I can't believe I've never tried this before. I'll definitely be checking out a few more Oktoberfest releases.

I definitely think it's one of the best ones out there and certainly among the better domestic Oktoberfest beers on the market. Cheers!

stevegoz
08-30-2012, 22:57
Finally broke down and had my first three Oktoberfests of the year -- Great Lakes, Capital and Spaten. Really enjoyed the Great Lakes tremendously; the other two were decidedly inferior to my taste buds. I'm really growing to like Great Lakes' offerings.

unclebunk
08-31-2012, 05:25
Finally broke down and had my first three Oktoberfests of the year -- Great Lakes, Capital and Spaten. Really enjoyed the Great Lakes tremendously; the other two were decidedly inferior to my taste buds. I'm really growing to like Great Lakes' offerings.

Spaten Oktoberfest is the standard by which all others are measured and is recognized throughout the world as a classic. I think the American versions are often maltier and therefore possibly fuller of flavor to us Americans but at the same time not quite faithful to the traditional German style. To each his own, I guess.

stevegoz
08-31-2012, 07:34
Spaten Oktoberfest is the standard by which all others are measured and is recognized throughout the world as a classic. I think the American versions are often maltier and therefore possibly fuller of flavor to us Americans but at the same time not quite faithful to the traditional German style. To each his own, I guess.

I guarantee the Great Lakes and Capital were fresher, which can certainly make a difference as well. Perhaps one day I'll get to taste some fresh, unpasteurized Spaten O-fest at the source. Or at least from a tap at a place like Resi's.

unclebunk
08-31-2012, 07:47
I guarantee the Great Lakes and Capital were fresher, which can certainly make a difference as well. Perhaps one day I'll get to taste some fresh, unpasteurized Spaten O-fest at the source. Or at least from a tap at a place like Resi's.

Don't forget Laschet's which is just a few doors down from Resi's.

stevegoz
08-31-2012, 08:13
Don't forget Laschet's which is just a few doors down from Resi's.

But it lacks Resi's dank charm!

smokinjoe
08-31-2012, 13:34
I was really hoping I could show a little restraint, and hold off popping my first SA Octoberfest until Sept 1. But, you guys killed that dream...:D SAO is my absolute favorite of the various Oktoberfest releases, and I've been looking forward to it for a couple of months, now. So, I broke down and just finished my first out on the back patio. Dang, that is good beer! Well, I gues it is September 1...somewhere???????...:D

DUBAI!!!!...........

callmeox
08-31-2012, 16:19
I was shocked to discover that I was out of Bitter American, so I headed to the store to fix that issue.

My fave beer, hands down and I'm going to put a heckuva dent this weekend in the 12 that I bought.

unclebunk
08-31-2012, 16:38
I was shocked to discover that I was out of Bitter American, so I headed to the store to fix that issue.

My fave beer, hands down and I'm going to put a heckuva dent this weekend in the 12 that I bought.

Just looked them up on-line. The beer sounds good but sadly is unavailable around here. They sure do have a strange distribution network, with chunks of the east and west coasts, a touch of the south, plus Ohio, Minnesota and Alaska!

smokinjoe
08-31-2012, 16:58
Just looked them up on-line. The beer sounds good but sadly is unavailable around here. They sure do have a strange distribution network, with chunks of the east and west coasts, a touch of the south, plus Ohio, Minnesota and Alaska!

The Monkey Beer is available down here. I like it, too. I think I have one more left in the fridge which I 'll probably kill this weekend, if I don't completely drown myself with the SAO.

unclebunk
08-31-2012, 18:28
Hot as blazes here due to the high humidity levels. All this talk of German beer has me thinkin' I'll go for some Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen. Those babies always quench the thirst!

smokinjoe
09-05-2012, 17:25
Great Lakes Octoberfest on tap while out to dinner, tonight. I don't know if it's because it's been a profitable trip, or the beer was fresh, or the burger was good, but the GLO was stunningly delicious. Given the choice tonight, I would prefer it to my beloved SAO. Great Lakes Brewing absolutely rocks.

MyOldKyDram
09-06-2012, 16:17
Stopped off at Lexington Beerworks on the way home and had a flight of sours. Yum.

sutton
09-06-2012, 16:49
Had a Victory Summer Love for the first time - didn't know what to expect, but thought it might be something along the lines of a light summer beer, like Sam Summer Ale. If I didn't know the name of the beer, I'd of thought this was an IPA. Citrusy, but seemed quite hoppy and full-bodied. It confused me, and I went to read online reviews and was surprised to see this called a "blond ale" and reading notes like "light, citrusy, with hoppy aroma" - I'm actually wondering if somehow my six pack was mis-labeled....

clingman71
09-06-2012, 17:30
Been a homebrew IPA sort of a week, but I changed it up tonight with Founder's Breakfast Stout, mmm.

unclebunk
09-06-2012, 17:33
Great evening here, sitting out on the deck with a few Franziskaner Hefe Weizens and some tunes watching the sun go down.

hectic1
09-06-2012, 18:12
I enjoyed some Oskar Blues stuff tonight:

G'Knight Formerly called Gordon, G’Knight is a dry-hopped hybrid strong ale somewhere between a Double IPA and and Imperial Amber Ale (IAA). Brewed in tribute to the late Gordon Knight, Gordon is brewed with massive amounts of American hops and features about 85 IBUs and 8.7% alcohol by volume.

Old Chub This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. Old Chub features semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a kiss of smoke. A head-turning treat for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer.

I've had pretty much everything from Oskar Blues and I've really enjoyed all of them...the Deviant Dale's, G'Knight, and Gubna are the ones that I really enjoy and the Dale's Pale Ale is a GREAT session beer!

clingman71
09-06-2012, 20:39
Why didn't Chicago get Ten Fidy? I was there a few weeks ago when many of the bars were doing OB tap takeovers, but no Ten Fidy. No cans at Binnys either.

AaronWF
09-06-2012, 21:33
Why didn't Chicago get Ten Fidy? I was there a few weeks ago when many of the bars were doing OB tap takeovers, but no Ten Fidy. No cans at Binnys either.

From what I understand it should be here next month. I think OB had to increase production to accommodate Chicago as part of their recent expansion.

unclebunk
09-07-2012, 04:03
I enjoyed some Oskar Blues stuff tonight:

G'Knight Formerly called Gordon, G’Knight is a dry-hopped hybrid strong ale somewhere between a Double IPA and and Imperial Amber Ale (IAA). Brewed in tribute to the late Gordon Knight, Gordon is brewed with massive amounts of American hops and features about 85 IBUs and 8.7% alcohol by volume.

Old Chub This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. Old Chub features semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a kiss of smoke. A head-turning treat for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer.

I've had pretty much everything from Oskar Blues and I've really enjoyed all of them...the Deviant Dale's, G'Knight, and Gubna are the ones that I really enjoy and the Dale's Pale Ale is a GREAT session beer!

So the Oskar Blues is finally here? That Old Chub sounds fantastic!

HighInTheMtns
09-08-2012, 18:58
Drinking a Firestone-Walker DBA tonight. I like this brewery, I drink a lot of Union Jack IPA and I enjoy pretty much everything I've had from them.

DPPSmoker
09-08-2012, 19:44
I am sipping on a Kentucky Boubon Barrel Ale from Alltech and it is simply the best beer I have ever had. By far.

WAINWRIGHT
09-08-2012, 20:09
Potosi and Founders Breakfast Stout while out grilling some steaks and enjoying this great weather.

stevegoz
09-08-2012, 21:38
Crossed the northern border to stock up on some Octoberfests and make some bargain beer purchases. Stopped for a late lunch and had a pair of so-so local Octoberfests from O'so and Central Waters as well. Very much looking forward to digging into the Great Lakes and New Glarus 'fests that I purchased.

HighInTheMtns
09-09-2012, 13:52
Drinking a Uinta Oktoberfest Black Bier at Snowbird Oktoberfest, my favorite place to drink beer. If you're ever in Utah during the late summer, you should check it out.

ebo
09-09-2012, 14:03
Enjoying a glass of Goose Island Nut Brown Ale.

HighInTheMtns
09-09-2012, 15:04
My next one: Uinta Cockeyed Cooper. It's a bourbon barrel aged barleywine. Judging by the barrel they have on display it looks like they're using at least some HH barrels.

Bourbon Boiler
09-09-2012, 15:27
Had quite a few Sam Adams Oktoberfest at Fenway last night - a sure sign of fall.

callmeox
09-09-2012, 19:28
Monkey beer while I roll up the last 9.5 hours of a brutal week on call.

Looking forward to decompressing this week in Bardstown.

ThomasH
09-09-2012, 22:02
Leinenkugel Oktoberfest and Lemon Berry Shandy. Their red lager is also available again in bottles in Ohio. It is in the current Fall sampler pack along with the other 2!

Thomas

stevegoz
09-13-2012, 22:19
I enjoyed my first 2012 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout tonight. It's trickling out across the country in coming weeks.

unclebunk
09-14-2012, 05:37
Zywiec Porter while watching the Packers pound the Bears. Great Polish beer that warms the soul on cold, rainy nights. Too bad it couldn't put me out of my misery. That game sucked!

hectic1
09-14-2012, 05:48
I split a bomber of Firestone Walker Wookie Jack last night which is a black IPA. It had a great balance of hops and malt making it a VERY enjoyable drinker...I will be getting some more of these when time allows! ;)

HighInTheMtns
09-14-2012, 07:43
I'll probably pick up some Wookie Jacks pretty soon - black IPA is great autumn beer for me and Union Jack has been a regular in my rotation all summer. Nice to hear a good review.

Clavius
09-14-2012, 17:49
Well the temperature is dropping here in Central KY and it's starting to feel like fall (at times). So I decided to go with a beer that has more of a roasted malt flavor rather than an IPA like usual. I picked up one I had never tried before, Sierra Nevada Porter. This stuff is great and just perfectly fit what I was looking for tonight.

HighInTheMtns
09-14-2012, 19:49
Big Sky Moose Drool brown ale. I'm with you regarding seasonal beer tastes - been a couple weeks since I had an IPA, that's some kind of record for me.

unclebunk
09-16-2012, 12:27
Finally had my first taste of Oskar Blues beer. I picked up a six pack of Dale's Pale Ale yesterday and absolutely loved it. I was surprised by how hoppy it is, especially for a pale ale. Although it has only 65 IBU's this beer comes across like an IPA. Can't wait to try the rest of their beers.

WAINWRIGHT
09-16-2012, 16:37
Did a little grilling today and threw back a couple Founders Breakfast Stouts,the burgers were good and the beer was great!

smokinjoe
09-17-2012, 18:00
With thanks to Ox, settling down to click back and forth between Braves and Falcons with Great Lakes Oktoberfest. I'm going to the GL Dortmunder Gold, next!

Befallen_Soul87
09-18-2012, 09:22
The most recent brew I had was Yuengling Traditional Lager. I am certainly looking forward to the Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown. Certainly one of my favorite seasonals.

AaronWF
09-18-2012, 15:25
I've been working on a growler of Half Acre Brewery's Daisy Cutter Pale Ale today. Nice grapefruit citrus on the entry, light body and a finish well-balanced with bitter hops and bright sugars. I really liked this local brew when I first had it years ago. Subsequent batches over the last few years have disappointed me with too much honey-like sweetness, but I think they have it right for my tastes again - especially coming from a growler via the brewery's own taps.

I also picked up two 4-pack tallboys of their occasionally brewed Double Daisy Cutter. I like the DDC more than the regular DC and I wasn't expecting to find it there. Too bad they were only selling it in cans.