PDA

View Full Version : New here from Ashburn, VA

dsorrent
08-02-2012, 19:05
Hello all... I've been drinking bourbon for a while.. My absolute favorite is/was the A.H. Hirsch 16yo, which I was fortunate enough to receive a bottle for Christmas last year... Still haven't opened it yet though, maybe next year for my 40th... My "everyday" bourbon used to be Elijah Craig 18yo until they decided to stop shipping it... So I think I will be falling back to Woodford Reserve and Blanton's as my staple bourbons...

Anyway, I am actually typing this from a hotel in Frankfort since my wife and I are doing the whole "Bourbon Trail" deal... We knocked out Jim Beam, Barton's, Heaven Hill & Maker's Mark today... Tomorrow is Wild Turkey, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace... Even going to do the Ghost Tour tomorrow night at the Trace! Leaving Woodford Reserve for Saturday...

So, I was just wondering if there any other distilleries in the area that I should try to squeeze in on Saturday?

OscarV
08-02-2012, 19:19
The Tom Moore in Bardstown, but I don't think they call it Tom Moore anymore.
The Buffalo Trace owner Sazerac bought them and changed the name to Tom Moore and then back again.
There best known brand is 1792 but I can't remember the distillery name.
I'm sure someone will come up with it.
Oh BTW, welcome aboard.

Lost Pollito
08-02-2012, 19:40
Welcome aboard. Lots of great people here. Lots of bourbon as well.

p_elliott
08-02-2012, 20:08
The Tom Moore in Bardstown, but I don't think they call it Tom Moore anymore.
The Buffalo Trace owner Sazerac bought them and changed the name to Tom Moore and then back again.
There best known brand is 1792 but I can't remember the distillery name.
I'm sure someone will come up with it.
Oh BTW, welcome aboard.

Tom Moore is Barton

callmeox
08-02-2012, 20:13
Welcome aboard, you're hitting all of the high points as far as distilleries go.

dsorrent
08-02-2012, 20:48
Thanks all! Yes, I learned that Barton's (producer of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve & The Very Old Barton) was purchased by Sazerac primarily for their warehouse space. The tour took us through their bottling facility and I've never actually been in a factory atmosphere before and that was pretty cool to see all of the automation first hand.

I've lurked a bit here but finally got an account. When we arrived in Bardstown we went over to Liquor World and picked up a bunch of items on JT's recommendations. I'm drinking W.L. Weller 107 tonight as my night cap.

Anyway, as long as I am asking some questions, I was hoping someone could straighten me out on three bourbons I enjoy. Those being Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek and Jefferson's Reserve. It looks like Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek are products of "Kentucky Bourbon Distiller's". Is that a distillery in the area that can actually be visited? Some things I've read sound like it's actually distilled at Willet's? As for Jefferson's Reserve, where is that distilled?

Thanks again all!

p_elliott
08-03-2012, 00:22
Thanks all! Yes, I learned that Barton's (producer of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve & The Very Old Barton) was purchased by Sazerac primarily for their warehouse space. The tour took us through their bottling facility and I've never actually been in a factory atmosphere before and that was pretty cool to see all of the automation first hand.

I've lurked a bit here but finally got an account. When we arrived in Bardstown we went over to Liquor World and picked up a bunch of items on JT's recommendations. I'm drinking W.L. Weller 107 tonight as my night cap.

Anyway, as long as I am asking some questions, I was hoping someone could straighten me out on three bourbons I enjoy. Those being Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek and Jefferson's Reserve. It looks like Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek are products of "Kentucky Bourbon Distiller's". Is that a distillery in the area that can actually be visited? Some things I've read sound like it's actually distilled at Willet's? As for Jefferson's Reserve, where is that distilled?

Thanks again all!

Those are bought from other distilleries and bottled under their name.

dsorrent
08-03-2012, 04:22
Thanks! Just realized there is a whole forum dedicated to distillery trips... I will dig through there... :) Thanks all!

p_elliott
08-03-2012, 19:49
Kentucky Bourbon Distiller's KBD just started distilling their own stuff in the last year. They do do tours. I don't know if you have to have an appointment or not.