PDA

View Full Version : Bottle ID in an old photo

Jono
09-04-2012, 23:43
Can anyone id the bottle on the left? The bottle on the right appears to be Seagrams 7 next to the pack of Luckys or Chesterfield.

Peppermint Schnapps?

unclebunk
09-05-2012, 07:17
That's gonna be a tough one. Where's the picture from?

Jono
09-05-2012, 09:00
An old photo of some uncles playing poker at my grandparents house...I cropped it to focus on the bottles.

Smithford
09-05-2012, 10:19
I have a feeling it might be a beer bottle - an old fashioned quart? The second word on the label might be "weiss."

Jono
09-05-2012, 10:31
An old photo of some uncles playing poker at my grandparents house...I cropped it to focus on the bottles.

That crossed my mind too.....very possible.

Beer Bottles in the 1950s
By Tim Raud, eHow Contributor

"Full Quart Bottles

Full quart sized bottles were available in both stubbie and steinie shapes. The full quart stubbie has a longer neck than the regular stubbie but still had a rounded body shape. It was also produced mainly in a darker red shade. The steinie full quart bottle had the same neck bulge of the regular steinie but a more rounded body shape."

Considering this was most likely the 1950s and was in Silvis, IL...Quad Cities....I would guess that the beer was from one of the major midwest suppliers...Pabst, Miller, Schlitz, Hamms, Budweiser, Old Style etc.....I can't imagine there were many imports then.