PDA

View Full Version : Help Dating a W. L. Weller, Centennial

wripvanwrinkle
09-07-2012, 15:15
I recently found a Frankfort W.L.W. Centennial that was bottled in the United Kingdom glass. Although I know that this will sound obsessive, I've been wondering what year it was bottled.

The newer (presumably USA made) squat bottles have the following markings on the bottom:

C1
{An underlined 2 digit number}

Based upon the small sample set of bottles that I have, I think that this underlined number is the year that the bottle was made. The earliest year that I have an example for is "03". Since the UD sale of the Weller label to Sazerac was in 1999, I guess that this must have been bottled between 1999 and 2003. I was wondering if someone might have an earlier example of the "newer" bottle form. Does anyone have a bottle for 00, 01, or 02?

Many thanks,
Eric

OscarV
09-07-2012, 16:13
To better deterrmine what you have it would be bettter if you stated the foil color and if the top is flat or rounds up.

wripvanwrinkle
09-07-2012, 16:38
Well someone just texted me that they have a gold top with a "12", so that is either not the year or (less likely) many of us are about to get really happy.

wripvanwrinkle
09-07-2012, 16:41
Sorry, Oscar. i assumed that all of the U.K. glass would have been BHC (black foil.). It is a BHC (black foil), with a rounded top.

Rereading, the initial post I guess that I could have asked the question a little better. I'm going to blame Friday happy hour.

Does anyone remember when the switch was made away from the United Kingdom glass to the "current style" glass?

WsmataU
09-12-2012, 10:57
LOL...I thought you were "dating" a bottle of WC. I can barely find any to drink, let alone date. (Sorry I couldn't resist)

Kalessin
09-12-2012, 11:34
LOL...I thought you were "dating" a bottle of WC. I can barely find any to drink, let alone date. (Sorry I couldn't resist)

Have you tried bringing a bouquet of flowers and buying it dinner first?

If that doesn't work, well, there's always other bottles on the shelf. Remember, true beauty is on the inside...

WsmataU
09-13-2012, 10:55
Remember, true beauty is on the inside...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! :slappin::slappin: