PDA

View Full Version : The infamous search for Pappy Van Winkle

ToyyaAmber
09-12-2012, 20:37
Ok, so I am looking for the Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 23. My husband has requested them as an anniversary gift. Any suggestions on the best way to get these? Also, does anyone know when the Fall release is expected to come out?

Thanks for your help!

michaelturtle1
09-12-2012, 21:03
If you "like" Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery on Facebook they tell you when the allotments are shipped to specific states

Tico
09-12-2012, 22:26
Lol, 1st post looking for pappy...... Always a classic

Check eBay..... Oh... Wait ;)

ToyyaAmber
09-13-2012, 05:43
Lol, 1st post looking for pappy...... Always a classic

Check eBay..... Oh... Wait ;)

@Tico: After looking through previous pappy posts, it seemed promising to get some advice here. As mentioned in my post, I am looking for my husband (not for myself). I apologize. I didn't realize I needed to be a seasoned poster, as you seem to be, in order to get some simple assistance from the straightbourbon.com community. Its funny how the anonymity of the internet makes people believe it warrants them to be uncouth. Get over yourself!

z327
09-13-2012, 06:15
If you "like" Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery on Facebook they tell you when the allotments are shipped to specific states
Pappy is very limited in supply and is allocated to stores. I recommend you start visiting as many liquor stores as you can and ask if the have a waiting list or lottery. The more states you can cover the better. Some stores hold for their biggest buyers. Others have a list and the sooner you sign up the better your chances. I did find one store that puts names in a hat and draws them in a lottery type fashion.

Best of luck and don't forget to hit up relatives in other states to do the same.

wadewood
09-13-2012, 06:31
My guess is if you got a $1000 and check your Private Message box, you probably have some messages from potential sellers (not from me).

For the sellers out there, keep in mind selling without a license is illegal and this is a 1st time poster that none of us has ever meet.

SWC
09-13-2012, 09:57
We know nothing of Pappy Van Winkle here. Nothing at all.

LostBottle
09-13-2012, 09:57
My guess is if you got a $1000 and check your Private Message box, you probably have some messages from potential sellers (not from me).

For the sellers out there, keep in mind selling without a license is illegal and this is a 1st time poster that none of us has ever meet.

Wade, you have made your points clear in other places. You need to stop pulling your antics in other peoples' threads, it just gets tiresome.

Trey Manthey
09-13-2012, 09:59
I'll sell you the bourbon, but not the bottle. Those I save to sell on eBay as collectibles.

DaveOfAtl
09-13-2012, 10:05
With ebay selling vanquished, the crusade continues . . . :grin:

LostBottle
09-13-2012, 10:06
Ok, so I am looking for the Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 23. My husband has requested them as an anniversary gift. Any suggestions on the best way to get these? Also, does anyone know when the Fall release is expected to come out?

Thanks for your help!

The best thing to do is to make yourself known at a store and get on the list. As stated though, many places save their small allocations for their best customers. I have a feeling that Pappy 23 will be the easiest to get due to the price (don't pay much more than $250 or you are being ripped off) - I have seen the 23 around long after the others were sold out. Good luck.

wadewood
09-13-2012, 10:15
Wade, you have made your points clear in other places. You need to stop pulling this bullshit in other peoples' threads, it just gets tiresome.

So you are now the owner of this site? When Butler or one of his mods asks me to stop, I'll stop. Until then , I suggest - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ignore+user+in+vbulletin#

Also, do you think I'm wrong that she has not received PMs about offers to sell what she is looking for?

SMOWK
09-13-2012, 10:17
So you are now the owner of this site? When Butler or one of his mods asks me to stop, I'll stop. Until then , I suggest - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ignore+user+in+vbulletin#

Personally, I love your posts Wade.

BourbonBaron
09-13-2012, 10:28
Wade, you have made your points clear in other places. You need to stop pulling your antics in other peoples' threads, it just gets tiresome.

LOL, is this a real thing? Perhaps I need to post some empties up.

LostBottle
09-13-2012, 10:41
Also, do you think I'm wrong that she has not received PMs about offers to sell what she is looking for?

Quite frankly, that is none of our business.

MyOldKyDram
09-13-2012, 16:23
Well, I certainly hope she has.

And if not then good luck with your search!

White Dog
09-13-2012, 16:36
Your hubby wants Pappy? Buy him some Larue. It's all BT anyway.:lol::skep::rolleyes:

Phil T
09-13-2012, 18:09
@Tico: After looking through previous pappy posts, it seemed promising to get some advice here. As mentioned in my post, I am looking for my husband (not for myself). I apologize. I didn't realize I needed to be a seasoned poster, as you seem to be, in order to get some simple assistance from the straightbourbon.com community. Its funny how the anonymity of the internet makes people believe it warrants them to be uncouth. Get over yourself!

You need to be more polite. The SB community is full of knowledgeable, generous members.

But you come in to Jim's house , and don't introduce yourself, or give any location information to help your self. All you do is ask a self serving question.

Not only is that uncouth, but just bad manners.

soonami
09-13-2012, 20:38
You need to be more polite. The SB community is full of knowledgeable, generous members.

But you come in to Jim's house , and don't introduce yourself, or give any location information to help your self. All you do is ask a self serving question.

This x1000

You just expect people (who may very well also be looking for PVW) to help you find a bottle of bourbon just because you asked nicely? If you've searched one of a hundred threads on the topic you'd know there are 3 answers.

1. Dumb luck - go to enough stores around the time it's released (info via facebook) and you might be lucky enough to find a bottle that made it's way to a shelf.

2. Social engineering - buddy up to store owners and managers and find your way onto a waiting list, reservation list, lottery, w/e

3. eBay - Although it seems like eBay has been cracking down on alcohol lately, some are still available for sale.

LostBottle
09-13-2012, 21:40
Is StraightBourbon really this cliquish? Perhaps we should call it SB89b.

If the user was asking for help with the sole intention of flipping, they deserve to be called out (some have been dumb enough to make their SB and eBay usernames the same). I don't get the feeling this is the case here; we know they won't be flipping on eBay, and I know few other options other than drinking/gifting.

It would seem this was just someone not knowing exactly how this forum operates and what a touchy subject Pappy is for some people, this is understandable. They probably didn't deserve the harsh/snarky responses, especially when some who made insolent remarks have flipped an awful lot of PVW and PHC on the Bay. Asking them to introduce themself in the proper forum and offering a little advice would have been the good move.

This thread is effed on so many levels.

keith18
09-14-2012, 07:22
I've utilized the social engineering strategy. It requires buying a ton of booze over a period of months (and possibly years) from the same store. It requires getting to know the owner, stopping in at off peak times and chatting with him. It means showing up for crappy wine tastings just so the owner can see your face. So, maybe by next anniversary....

But anyhow, good luck.

Halifax
09-14-2012, 09:56

If the user was asking for help with the sole intention of flipping, they deserve to be called out (some have been dumb enough to make their SB and eBay usernames the same). I don't get the feeling this is the case here; we know they won't be flipping on eBay, and I know few other options other than drinking/gifting.

It would seem this was just someone not knowing exactly how this forum operates and what a touchy subject Pappy is for some people, this is understandable. They probably didn't deserve the harsh/snarky responses, especially when some who made insolent remarks have flipped an awful lot of PVW and PHC on the Bay. Asking them to introduce themself in the proper forum and offering a little advice would have been the good move.

If you are so concerned then perhaps you should reach into your own bunker and provide a bottle of PVW for the OP. That would be a better course of action as opposed to passing judgement and lecturing the community here.

White Dog
09-14-2012, 10:04

But she did get some genuine help on post #5 as well a couple others. This frees us up to make snarky comments.:lol: I mean, come on, it's just another typical friggin' Pappy thread.

LostBottle
09-14-2012, 10:24
If you are so concerned then perhaps you should reach into your own bunker and provide a bottle of PVW for the OP. That would be a better course of action as opposed to passing judgement and lecturing the community here.

What an asinine comment. You have it exactly backwards and had the time been taken to actually read the entire thread, you may have seen that I offered advice to the original poster at the top of page two - one of the few to do so. Perhaps you can bookmark this thread for future reading and then reconsider who, in fact, was passing judgement and lecturing rather than trying to be the least bit helpful or welcoming...

Halifax
09-14-2012, 11:08
^ yada, yada... yawn

White Dog
09-14-2012, 14:47
There's nothing more toxic than a Pappy thread.

LostBottle
09-14-2012, 14:53

So true, ha! From now on, perhaps I will stick to the Wild Turkey 81 Rye threads as everyone seems to agree on that issue and no one seems to be asking for it;)

yerrbo
09-14-2012, 15:44

This! Although I don't comment much I do read a lot and I must say that if I ever get into a situation here where I'm being aggressively pursued, I'm just going to mention buying Pappy on Ebay and then I can safely escape amidst the ensuing chaos. It'll be like my Straingbourbon version of a Batman smoke bomb.

ebo
09-14-2012, 16:48
This Pappy crap is waaayyyy out of hand. There is no whisk(e)y worth the snide comments and derisive behaviour that this shit brings out in people. Pappy is the last whiskey I would ever waste time looking for, just on the basic principle that it divides and causes otherwise nice, polite people to behave like asses.

Sorry if my post offends anyone. :rolleyes:

yerrbo
09-14-2012, 19:48
This Pappy crap is waaayyyy out of hand. There is no whisk(e)y worth the snide comments and derisive behaviour that this shit brings out in people.

What about Ancient Age? (The 1.75 Liter bottle, of course)

ToyyaAmber
09-15-2012, 09:42
@Trey Manthey HAHAHA

ToyyaAmber
09-15-2012, 09:57

I apologize then for having bad manners. I didn't realize an introduction was part of standard etiquette. The way you just asked me/informed me was in a polite manner unlike the initial post. So here you go my intro...

I am new to this site (clearly), and I don't drink much bourbon (I'm a gin girl myself). I am a former bartender (still do it PT), so I know a lot more about alcohol in general than the average causal drinker. I stumbled upon this site with a google search, and thought it would be a great way to create a strategic approach to this search. I have already asked all my liquor store and bartending friends. I live in Boston, but from NYC, so I plan to begin my search in those two areas.

ToyyaAmber
09-15-2012, 10:05
This x1000

You just expect people (who may very well also be looking for PVW) to help you find a bottle of bourbon just because you asked nicely? If you've searched one of a hundred threads on the topic you'd know there are 3 answers.

1. Dumb luck - go to enough stores around the time it's released (info via facebook) and you might be lucky enough to find a bottle that made it's way to a shelf.

2. Social engineering - buddy up to store owners and managers and find your way onto a waiting list, reservation list, lottery, w/e

3. eBay - Although it seems like eBay has been cracking down on alcohol lately, some are still available for sale.

I actually did look at other posts (which is how I came upon the site), but wanted to know one if anyone knew release dates which is time dependent so I can't rely on an old post, and two if anyone newer to the site who didn't respond before had any suggestions. A lot of the old ones say where they found in in some area and it probably wouldn't be there anymore so it would be time dependent. Even so, I stand by my claim that me not knowing the etiquette rules of the site (clearly b/c I hadn't posted before) doesn't warrant someone being rude. Someone could have just said hey can you tell us a little about yourself first.

ToyyaAmber
09-15-2012, 10:09

Thanks for this!

sutton
09-15-2012, 10:58
I live in Boston, but from NYC, so I plan to begin my search in those two areas.

Hi, and welcomed to the site. I don't know how it is in NYC, but you might have more luck there than in the Boston area (including Rhode Island). Best I can recommend is to join Julio's Loch & Key Society and sign up for the newsletter ... you'll get notified when the lottery occurs for the fall release. I did find a PVW 10/107 on a shelf in Worcester by sheer luck - that was over a year ago and I've never seen a bottle of any PVW anywhere in this area. Maybe others closer to Beantown or up in NH can chime in, but I'd be surprised if they didn't get it the way you are already trying (through direct contact with the liquor store or through your bartending buddies).

Best of luck! A Megabucks ticket has a better chance of hitting, however ... :grin:

camduncan
09-15-2012, 14:18

As such, after consultation with Jim, it's been moved to the New to SB area. Needless to say, we were unimpressed with some of the less than welcoming comments made earlier in the thread.

ToyyaAmber, welcome to our site, and best of luck with your search. I'd be thrilled if my wife got me a bottle of Pappy - your husband is a lucky guy!

MauiSon
09-15-2012, 21:57
I'll second that! My whiskey purchases are a never-ending 'rationale' to the lady for fiscal imprudence in other areas.

Can you imagine, Pappy in Hawaii on the beach, watching the sun set?

I can't - nevah evah c Pappy hea.

Phil T
09-16-2012, 09:14
Welcome to SB. I apologize for my initial remarks, as its not my place to tell you how to behave here. Hopefully some of the info provided by the posters will be of help. Good luck in your search!

Kalessin
09-20-2012, 15:17
Specific to Boston searching -- sadly, it's really quite tough to find Van Winkle products. There aren't many to go around in Massachusetts, and the brand name is now so well known that they sell out almost immediately. I've been able to find the Old Rip Van Winkle 12-year-old "Lot B", the 10-year 107-proof, and 10-year 90-proof, but none of the Pappy Van Winkle bottles.

In this state, liquor stores are very inconsistent with selection. I visit about eight different major stores around metro Boston for harder-to-find bourbon brands, as each seems to specialize in a different one. I can strongly recommend Julio's, on Route 9 in Westborough. Though something of a drive from Boston, they have interesting and unusual store bottlings of bourbon (and other spirits).

If you're okay with a different bottling of Stizel-Weller bourbon (which is what's in Pappy Van Winkle 20 and 23), Jefferson Presidential Select 18 is available in a number of stores, and is probably your best bet.

fishnbowljoe
09-21-2012, 18:51
I believe there are many factors to consider when talking about the search for Pappy. Things have changed a lot over the past couple of years or so. A couple of things I'll comment on, a couple I won't. 'Nuff Ced.

First off, I'm not sure of the production runs of the Van Winkle products, but they probably haven't increased much if at all. Couple that with the growing popularity of the Van Winkle products, and even if there is more product out there, it can still be hard to find.

It seems to me that sales and distribution seem to be big part of the problem. I've been told from more than one source, that for whatever reason, Sazerac (amongst others) let some of their long time sales people go a while back. These people had built up good working relationships with their customers over the years. I've also been told by theses same people that the new people don't seem to be able to do as much for some liquor stores as their previous reps could. I think part of the reason is that they're trying to "spread the wealth" a little more so to speak. It may not impact the larger chain stores quite as much, but it is different for the smaller chains and independents. I know of a couple of stores that used to get two or three cases of Lot B, Pappy 15 & 20, plus a few bottles of Pappy 23, and decent quantities of Old Rip 10/90 and 10/107. Now they might get three or four bottles of each at most, and no VWFRR in the last couple of releases. One store now has a lottery for all the Van Winkles they get in. Another place I know of, is always offered more Pappy 20 and 23, and less Pappy 15 whenever they place an order. There is a flip side to this though. Some stores that have always ordered Pappy but never received any, are now getting some. I won't go into all the boring details, but I've actually seen some Van Winkle bottles in a couple of stores that never had any before. Only a couple bottles or so, but I guess it beats not getting any.

Some stores also have problems with their orders. I talked to a store manager one time, and she told me that when she called her sales rep, he said that she had three bottles of Pappy 15 on her order, and that they would be on the next truck. They weren't on the truck when it showed up. The orders from another place I go to are sometimes getting changed by the rep or distributor. The example here is that he ordered six Pappy 15's and three Pappy's 23's amongst other things one time. When the order came in, he received three Pappy 15's and six Pappy 23's. He sent three of the Pappy 23's back. The same thing has happened to him on orders for the BTAC.

I'm not sure if this is a problem in other areas of the country or not, but in my area, we've had some minor distributor "wars" in the past couple years. The economy being what it is, a couple of local distributors merged, and one that was going out of business was bought out by another. It seems that these distributors were playing the local liquor stores to a certain extent. While not coming out and saying exactly what was going on, I understood the message some of the store managers here were trying to get across to me when I asked about certain products. In essence, they were being held hostage. They were being told that you really should start carrying XYZ product. If not, maybe ABC product wouldn't be quite as available to them as it was in the past. In a nutshell, if the liquor stores wouldn't start selling different products that the distributors "suggested" they try and sell, the store might possibly see some of their decent selling product pulled from the shelves. All this seems to have died down now, and things seem to be pretty much back to normal.

Craziness. I'm glad it doesn't affect me much. I've given up the quest for Pappy for the most part. However, if the opportunity presents itself, I'd probably grab a bottle if it was there to be had. That being said, I passed on the last bottle of Pappy 15 I saw. It wasn't because of the price either. :bigeyes:

To the original poster: It seems like you've done the right things. You've been in touch with the contacts you have in bars and liquor stores. That's good. Keep trying. Make calls when you can, and if you're ever traveling, stop in any stores you might see. You just never know. I've seen Pappy 15 and VWFRR in a couple of places you just wouldn't expect. Good Luck. Let us know how things go.

Joe

tommyboy38
10-26-2012, 22:02
I stumbled upon a few bottles of old Rip 10/90 today. I assume this was old stock and not the fall release.
Just surprised to see any VW on any shelf these days.

c2walker
10-27-2012, 07:46
I stumbled upon a few bottles of old Rip 10/90 today. I assume this was old stock and not the fall release.
Just surprised to see any VW on any shelf these days.

Definitely not the new release because 10/90 has been discontinued.

Restaurant man
10-27-2012, 10:45
Re: How much is a Willett 27yr worth?
Not selling...just curious how much it's worth.

Josh
10-27-2012, 11:00
I would like to apologize for not seeing this thread soon enough and missing out on the snark and opportunity to fight on the forum. I hope you can all forgive me.

Ejmharris
10-27-2012, 11:16
I hope everyone is partaking in the "Social" drinking every time van winkle is mentioned on the forum this fall. I forget who recommended it but damn you!!!

Gillman
10-27-2012, 11:23
Well, there's a couple of Pappy 20's in Burlington, ON for $120 per, if anyone is in the area:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/inventory/searchResults.do?language=EN&itemNumber=923367

Gary

portwood
10-27-2012, 13:40
Well, there's a couple of Pappy 20's in Burlington, ON for $120 per, if anyone is in the area:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/inventory/searchResults.do?language=EN&itemNumber=923367

Gary

:slappin: you obviously called the store before posting ;-)
I saw the listing for 4 bottles yesterday afternoon. Two were sold yesterday, two were placed on hold and sold today.
Had I done my daily search in the morning - as I usually do - I too would be able to raise a glass every time someone mentions Pappy or van Winkle.

Gillman
10-27-2012, 13:55
I didn't call the store and didn't buy any of these. I am not a fan of super-aged whiskey. I'll save my 100+ for Masterson's.

Gary

White Dog
10-27-2012, 14:16
I would like to apologize for not seeing this thread soon enough and missing out on the snark and opportunity to fight on the forum. I hope you can all forgive me.

I was wondering where you were.

Tico
10-27-2012, 14:26
I wonder what happened to toyya?

i doubt she just signed up to find pappy, maybe she's been to busy enjoyin the infamous search for PVW to join us here:cool:

Restaurant man
10-28-2012, 21:20

I should have PM'd you when I saw the softball lofted up. My bad. Won't happen again. I'm all twisted up when I think of the "snark shoveling" I missed out on