PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bourbon you ever tried ?

Pages : [1] 2

JR1968
09-20-2012, 18:17
First is Ten High, then Devils Cut.

JR1968

White Dog
09-20-2012, 18:25
Current Rebel Yell is right up there.

BFerguson
09-20-2012, 19:00
BTEC Oats

Only bottle I have ended up pouring down the drain after 3 pours.

Awful stuff. No wonder it is still on the shelf.

B

WAINWRIGHT
09-20-2012, 19:02
I second the vote on the Rebel Yell,absolute garbage in a bottle!

camduncan
09-20-2012, 19:20
Slate Bourbon. http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_908012/slate-bourbon

An Australian only release that can actually ruin a good glass of coke... I've heard it makes a good degreaser though :D

Clavius
09-20-2012, 19:24
Current Old Fitz.

trumpstylz
09-20-2012, 19:25
Its not bourbon, but Canadian LTD is the most vile filth ever concocted.

Kalessin
09-20-2012, 19:49
Old Crow.

Mmmm, nasty! Often found in the speed rack (aka the well) at your local dive bar.

trumpstylz
09-21-2012, 00:24
Also- Philadelphia whiskey. I never was under the impression that ten high was all that bad (not good either). It's the same recipe as VOB.

Enoch
09-21-2012, 04:02
Bourbon De Lux, Distillers Pride, Kentucky Gentleman are in my crap box.

SWC
09-21-2012, 11:00
Pappy Van Winkle 15.

Steve99
09-21-2012, 12:02
Ezra Brooks -- not sure if I got a bad bottle, but I can't stand even a sip.

ratcheer
09-21-2012, 12:49
Ever? I'm sure I had some very bad bourbons 40 years or so ago, but I don't specifically recall what they were. And these days, I listen to what others say is awful and avoid it.

Tim

JR1968
09-21-2012, 13:55
Also- Philadelphia whiskey. I never was under the impression that ten high was all that bad (not good either). It's the same recipe as VOB.

I didn't know that TH was the recipe for VOB. Maybe I'll have to try it again.
Thank you for the information.

JR1968

ebo
09-21-2012, 14:00
Can't say. I've had many that I wouldn't buy another bottle of, but I can't say I've tried anything so horrible it couldn't be drunk ....... one way or another. I'd have to say that FR Yellow Label rates up there as one of my most "unfavorites".

smokinjoe
09-21-2012, 14:20
I've had some Bourbon Supremes that pretty much sucked.

Enoch
09-21-2012, 14:24
I've got a 1975 quart of Bourbon Supreme but have been afraid to try it. The bottle looks nice and it will kill the mystique if it is nasty. I'll pop it one day I guess.

fishnbowljoe
09-21-2012, 14:28
I started a thread a couple of years ago titled "Down The Drain". Pretty close to the same meaning. So, here's what I posted back then. I believe these two pretty much qualify as the worst bourbons I've ever tasted.

I just wondered how many of you have had a bottle of bourbon, (or other spirit) that you ended up pouring down the drain.

Yesterday, I was taking an inventory of my collection, and was cleaning my cabinet a little, and rearranging things. I came across my bottle of Old Crow Reserve. I bought this when it first came out. It tasted "different" the first time I tried it. I've since gone back to it three or four times, and it hadn't gotten any better. Yesterday, I gave it one more try. No dice. I couldn't take it anymore. Down the drain it went. This is only the second time I've ever done that. The other bottle I ended up pouring down the drain, was a bottle of Gran Legacy. A "generic" bourbon sold by CVS pharmacies.

So here are two to start the parade.

Old Crow Reserve
Gran Legacy

I can hardly wait to see what else may have ended up as Draino! Joe

Young Blacksmith
09-21-2012, 17:12
I've only dumped two bourbons, as I find I can usually mix them with ginger ale and bitters to make a decent drink. The first was an older Ten High, 200 ml, which was just mediocre, and didn't mix well with others. The other was a tainted (I hope) JTS Brown 86. It went fine if I was smoking my pipe or cigar, but alone was just funky weird bad, cardboard and dirt.

theglobalguy
09-21-2012, 18:22
Fighting Cock, Old Forrester didn't dump but turned into marinade.

Bourbon Boiler
09-22-2012, 06:16
Old Crow is what I've started using for my aging trials. I feel its only shortcoming is age, but it's quite the major shortcoming.

Josh
09-22-2012, 13:18
Old Fitz Prime, Corner Creek, Hudson Baby Bourbon, Beam Old Taylor.

Dishonorable mention: Benchmark, Heaven Hill Gold label, 4 y/o, 80 proof.

ethangsmith
09-23-2012, 15:56
Copying my response from a similar thread over at BourbonEnthusiast:

--Jim Beam Black was a huge disappointment, as was Basil Haydn's.
--You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. Then again, I've never had a wheater I like except Cabin Still!
--Echo Spring was pretty boring, but it was only about $8 for the bottle.
--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.
--Eagle Rare 10- Not bad, but it seems to have a really weird flavor profile.
--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).
--Every Scotch or Irish whiskey I've ever had- The barley and peat make them taste like stomach acid to me. I can't even swallow the stuff without a gag reflex. Seriously.
--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!

CoMobourbon
09-23-2012, 17:55
Knocking the Weller line AND Four Roses in one post? I'm surprised that the SB.com gods didn't smite you before you'd finished typing.

MyOldKyDram
09-23-2012, 18:01
I have it on good autority that his entire collection has been transformed into Special Reserve and Yellow Label.

Clavius
09-23-2012, 18:11
Copying my response from a similar thread over at BourbonEnthusiast:

--Jim Beam Black was a huge disappointment, as was Basil Haydn's.
--You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. Then again, I've never had a wheater I like except Cabin Still!
--Echo Spring was pretty boring, but it was only about $8 for the bottle.
--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.
--Eagle Rare 10- Not bad, but it seems to have a really weird flavor profile.
--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).
--Every Scotch or Irish whiskey I've ever had- The barley and peat make them taste like stomach acid to me. I can't even swallow the stuff without a gag reflex. Seriously.
--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!

Do you like anything?

:grin:

CoMobourbon
09-23-2012, 18:33
I have it on good autority that his entire collection has been transformed into Special Reserve and Yellow Label.

Nice.

Do you like anything?:grin:

If he hates most wheaters - and all Scotches because "the barley" contributes to a "stomach acid" taste - then maybe he likes ryes and high rye bourbons?

Just speculating. Don't let me put words in your mouth, ethang.

*But no, four roses is all high rye. Well f--- me, man; I've got nothing.

Trey Manthey
09-23-2012, 21:23
Hudson Baby Bourbon...stung twice as hard because I was at a special tasting event for the whole Hudson line and I had been looking forward to it SO MUCH.

2highcal
09-24-2012, 07:23
A couple of years ago it was the Fighting Cock that I had a lot of trouble killing the bottle it just seemed to keep on pouring. That I think is the worst bottle I had yet, Still may have to try it again though I am a glutton for punishment

Rutherford
09-24-2012, 15:24
BTEC Oats is hands down the worst bourbon I've ever had.

I don't like the Weller line. Come to think of it, the only BT products I really like are Baby Saz and ETL.
JD is disappoints me too, but is not labelled as bourbon.

boss302
09-25-2012, 10:26
I haven't really had a BOURBON I didn't like. Sure, some were better than others, but I didn't find any to be downright offensive.

Now there was a blended whiskey called Corby's-- I think it was a Barton product-- that re-defined the word "rot-gut" for me. Like Jason Vorhees, even drowning it (in cola, in this particular case) couldn't kill the nastiness.

It's weird how the same distilleries can make products that are flat-out awesome (Very Old Barton and Ridgemont Reserve come to mind), can also make something that grotesque.

CoMobourbon
09-25-2012, 19:14
As people have recently speculated regarding Heaven Hill wheaters and the low quality of the OF line, there may be a correlation between the bad stuff and the good stuff from the same distillery.

OscarV
09-26-2012, 14:13
I think it was the bottom shelf Johnny Drum that answers the thread's question for me.

ethangsmith
09-26-2012, 17:26
Nice.

If he hates most wheaters - and all Scotches because "the barley" contributes to a "stomach acid" taste - then maybe he likes ryes and high rye bourbons?

Just speculating. Don't let me put words in your mouth, ethang.

*But no, four roses is all high rye. Well f--- me, man; I've got nothing.

You would be correct sir. I am a rye drinker primarily, and my bourbons need to have rye in them. Don't get me wrong- Weller, Van Winkle, and Fitz are all fine crafted bourbons, but they are not to my personal liking. I like the grain flavor of the Four Roses Single Barrel, but the other acidic flavors over power it for me. It's a shame because I think if they made their high rye mashbill with other yeasts in their arsenal, they could come up with something fantastic. To give you an idea of my palate- VW rye, basically all 100pf and above WT products, OGD, KC rye, EC 12 and 18, Old Heaven Hill BIB, 1792, and, strangely- Mellow Corn.

MyOldKyDram
09-26-2012, 17:32
They (4R) do make the high rye masbill with all of the yeasts, you'll just need to find a retailer, online or brick and mortar, that has them as private selections. The Party Souce comes to mind obv, but I don't know what the legality of shipping to PA is.

WAINWRIGHT
09-26-2012, 17:38
Cody Road Bourbon,absolutely vile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

ISU_grad
09-27-2012, 07:50
Cody Road Bourbon,absolutely vile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I totally agree with this. Not even good for mixing.

Flyfish
09-27-2012, 07:50
A couple of years ago it was the Fighting Cock that I had a lot of trouble killing the bottle it just seemed to keep on pouring. That I think is the worst bottle I had yet, Still may have to try it again though I am a glutton for punishment

If FC is the worst bourbon you have ever had, you are one exceptionally lucky fella.

marco246
09-27-2012, 13:40
Old Fitz 1849 nas.

weller_tex
09-27-2012, 13:44
Current Old Charter 8 year..only whiskey I ever poured down the drain.

OscarV
09-27-2012, 14:51
They (4R) do make the high rye masbill with all of the yeasts, you'll just need to find a retailer, online or brick and mortar, that has them as private selections. The Party Souce comes to mind obv, but I don't know what the legality of shipping to PA is.
?

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

MyOldKyDram
09-27-2012, 14:55
What, did I mispeak or misunderstand what he was getting at?

Tucker
09-27-2012, 16:06
I can't recall any bourbon I've had that was worse than the current Benchmark. I try to find the good in just about anything I drink, but after giving it more than enough consideration I can say without doubt that it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Tucker
09-27-2012, 16:36
What, did I mispeak or misunderstand what he was getting at?

No. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's a shame because I think if they made their high rye mashbill with other yeasts in their arsenal, they could come up with something fantastic.

They (4R) do make the high rye masbill with all of the yeasts, you'll just need to find a retailer, online or brick and mortar, that has them as private selections.

atfree
09-27-2012, 17:18
I've tried a lot of bourbons in my couple years in this hobby, but I have to say that the worst bourbon I have tried was an Old Charter "The Classic 90" distilled in Frankfort. One pour from that bottle and it has sat untouched since. Too much earth/dirt flavor with young wood taste.

ethangsmith
09-27-2012, 17:47

I was under the assumption that most of, if not all but one of, the high rye mashbill bourbons are blended into their other products. It still doesn't cover up the highly acidic note I get from their bourbons though.

MyOldKyDram
09-27-2012, 17:53
Nah, you can get them all with a little effort. Either through the 1B LEs or Private Selections at various stores.

p_elliott
10-01-2012, 09:16
I've tried a lot of bourbons in my couple years in this hobby, but I have to say that the worst bourbon I have tried was an Old Charter "The Classic 90" distilled in Frankfort. One pour from that bottle and it has sat untouched since. Too much earth/dirt flavor with young wood taste.

I love Old charter 12 Classic 90

Bmac
10-01-2012, 10:52
For me the worst was the bottle of Old Grand Dad 86 proof that sits in my bar. It tasted like hand washing soap with alcohol. I nearly threw up. I tried mixing it in Coke and nearly spit that out.

Although...nearly a year later the bottle has lost that soapy flavor and is tolerable now. Go fig.

TradingBoiler
10-01-2012, 11:07
I think it was the bottom shelf Johnny Drum that answers the thread's question for me.

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of the value everyone talks about with Johnny Drum I just can't get over the tannic taste to it. By far my least favorite bourbon

ethangsmith
10-01-2012, 11:13
Just dumped my bottle of Old Charter 8 80pf. That stuff was more flat and nasty than Eagle Rare- which I didn't think was possible! I am proud to say that my whiskey cabinet is finally Four Roses AND Buffalo Trace free- that is, unless you consider Van Winkle Rye or 1792 a Buffalo Trace product....

So now it's back to happy days again and lots of Heaven Hill, Beam, Barton, MGP/LDI and best of all- Wild Turkey!

RWBadley
10-01-2012, 13:57
I have bottle of Colonel Lee from a few years ago that is totally vile heinous stuff. Just thinking about it turns my stomach.

Otherwise, I try to buy stuff that has generally proven drinkable. If not, I have a great BBQ marinade recipe...

1/3 bourbon

1/3 soy sauce

1/4 olive oil with

fresh ground ginger, garlics and cayenne pepper

Soak meats for a day, fishes for 4 hrs

Guaranteed to improve and dispose of the most mediocre of whiskey

Cheers

RW

Josh
10-01-2012, 16:06
Just dumped my bottle of Old Charter 8 80pf.
So now it's back to happy days again and lots of Heaven Hill, Beam, Barton, MGP/LDI and best of all- Wild Turkey!

We can agree there. Old Charter 8 y/o is terrible. Benchmark-esque.

humchan2k
10-01-2012, 17:27
Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

irongambit
10-01-2012, 18:30
town branch gets my vote...the only reason I haven't dumped it is that the bottle looks so nice.

HighInTheMtns
10-01-2012, 19:08
I think the "worst" bourbon I've ever had was Ten High; however this speaks more to the goodness of bourbon in general than the badness of Ten High. It was just young and low-proof, but it was a perfectly good whiskey and honestly a good value. I haven't gone out of my way to try all that many of the lowest-shelf pours, but in my opinion, care and time was taken to produce anything that is called straight bourbon, and I count none of them among the worst kinds of rotgut.

Bmac
10-01-2012, 21:11
Great, that old dusty of Old Charter 8 year from 1995 is looking to be rather nasty before it's ever opened.

JB64
10-01-2012, 23:44
Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

I live about five miles from the McCormick distillery although I don't think they have distilled there in a long time. The bourbon they sell is some of the poorest I have tasted and I agree with your comments.

tmckenzie
10-02-2012, 04:21
town branch gets my vote...the only reason I haven't dumped it is that the bottle looks so nice.

Let that one open up a day or so and go back to it. I hated it at first, then it really grew on me.

Josh
10-02-2012, 05:56
Great, that old dusty of Old Charter 8 year from 1995 is looking to be rather nasty before it's ever opened.

Old Charter from that era was a very different beast. I don't care for it, but the ones I've had were butterscotch bombs.

ethangsmith
10-02-2012, 07:54
I saw a few posts back about the Hudson Baby Bourbon. I'll put in a second "Yuck" on that one too. For $25 for a 750ML, it would be ok, but for $45 for a 375ML, they're nuts. You can really taste the rushed aging and unbalance between too young bourbon and too harsh a tannin flavor. I think if they were to switch to a 53 gallon barrel and put it away for 4 to 6 years, they'd really be on to something. Hopefully that's in the future!

ethangsmith
10-02-2012, 07:59

Never was daring enough to try Benchmark. Now I'm glad I haven't. The Old Charter 8 was the weirdest thing ever. It had almost no flavor. It was like stale brown water- which at 8yo surprised me.

I will admit, I do like Elmer T. Lee on rare occasions. I think that's my only BT product I can honestly say I really enjoy. The extra rye in that mashbill certainly lends much more character to that whiskey. Are there any long-aged bourbons from BT using their high-rye mashbill? I know Ancient Age tops out at 10yo, but are there any that are aged even longer?

Josh
10-02-2012, 09:45
Never was daring enough to try Benchmark. Now I'm glad I haven't. The Old Charter 8 was the weirdest thing ever. It had almost no flavor. It was like stale brown water- which at 8yo surprised me.

I will admit, I do like Elmer T. Lee on rare occasions. I think that's my only BT product I can honestly say I really enjoy. The extra rye in that mashbill certainly lends much more character to that whiskey. Are there any long-aged bourbons from BT using their high-rye mashbill? I know Ancient Age tops out at 10yo, but are there any that are aged even longer?

It's hard to say. The high-end offerings from that mashbill are all NAS. If I had to guess I would say most of the Blanton's are older than that, but it's only a guess.

clingman71
10-02-2012, 09:59
It's hard to say. The high-end offerings from that mashbill are all NAS. If I had to guess I would say most of the Blanton's are older than that, but it's only a guess.

I think I heard/read somewhere that Blanton's was younger. It is aged in the metal clad warehouse and the barrels are exposed to more weather extremes. I believe I heard that while NAS, ETL is normally bottled around 8yrs old +/- a year. And yes, it is a shame that there isn't a higher proof/longer aged BT higher rye(I always forget the mashbills #s) bottling.

weller_tex
10-02-2012, 10:40

Strangely enough I like Benchmark OK..as I said in earlier post though I dumped OC 8 down the drain. I really liked OC 12 Classic 90, but I did not realize that it was a semi-dusty. The OC 8 had a sourness to it and almost no other flavors. Is OC 8 a very-low rye mashbill?

oke&coke
10-02-2012, 22:46
Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

:slappin:I have literally laughed my ass off the past dozen times reading this. I nominate this as the post of the year.

The worst I have ever tasted was Ri(1) rye whiskey. Didn't like it the first time I opened it or when I tried it 8 months later. Actually made my lips go numb. My take, there's a party in my mouth and everyone is throwing up.

Josh
10-03-2012, 04:08
Strangely enough I like Benchmark OK..as I said in earlier post though I dumped OC 8 down the drain. I really liked OC 12 Classic 90, but I did not realize that it was a semi-dusty. The OC 8 had a sourness to it and almost no other flavors. Is OC 8 a very-low rye mashbill?

Yes. But it's the same mashbill for Benchmark.

humchan2k
10-04-2012, 15:22
:slappin:I have literally laughed my ass off the past dozen times reading this. I nominate this as the post of the year.

The worst I have ever tasted was Ri(1) rye whiskey. Didn't like it the first time I opened it or when I tried it 8 months later. Actually made my lips go numb. My take, there's a party in my mouth and everyone is throwing up.

Glad I could be of service! My first nomination for anything around here, thanks! :)

Also, I completely agree on Ri(1)....I was at the casino in Tahoe, pretty tipsy, and still asked for them to take it back and pour me something nice.

Kyjd75
10-05-2012, 14:24
For me, Devils Cut is the worst, by far.

anyexcuse
10-05-2012, 22:02
Ancient Age 3 year, regular Old Crow, and Benchmark are the bourbons I will never buy, no matter how cheap. I'm sure there are others, but less common ones.

MyOldKyDram
10-06-2012, 12:45
Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.

Josh
10-06-2012, 13:58
Im factoring in price here, but I'm going to go ahead and say Jeffersons Ocean Aged. The amount I had to pay for a 1 oz sample was bad enough, but I would've been ill had I bought a bottle of it.

I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.

Kalessin
10-09-2012, 13:03
I would have to say that one takes the cake for the dumbest premise for a special release too.

Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Josh
10-09-2012, 14:17
Wellllll... Springbank and the other Campbeltown scotches are often described as "salt-air influenced"... And any idea that works "where the expensive stuff comes from" is instantly a good idea for bourbon! What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

HA! What indeed! And while we're at it, I'll go ahead and call BS on sea spray having anything to do with how a Scotch tastes either.

MyOldKyDram
10-09-2012, 14:47
Well, I can tell you that the bourbon is salty and dank as all get out. Coulda been drunken sailors pissing in the barrels though, for all I know.

B-Zero
10-16-2012, 18:33
Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.

camduncan
10-16-2012, 18:51
Elijah Craig 18. Destroyed by overpowering wood flavour. As the EC12 is one of my favourites this came as a huge disappointment.

I'm still torn on this one Dale. I got a bottle from NZ a few years ago, and unfortunately it had cork taint so it wasn't a great example. I ended up using it as a mixer to finish the bottle. I see Nicks has it in stock for $130 a bottle, so I might try one more time, but if the next one is bad then I won't go there again.
It's a shame really... I was lucky to get a personalised tour of Heaven Hill a few years ago and got to try some EC18 straight from the barrel (with wood char chunks instead of ice) - and it was hands down the best bourbon I've ever had the pleasure to taste!!

White Dog
10-16-2012, 18:54
EC18 is a single barrel, plus, I've noticed that air makes quite a difference. I've had great, good, and awful experiences with various bottles.

B-Zero
10-17-2012, 03:19
I just put it down to a bad barrel, the drink may be gone but the memory of the taste is burned in. Every time I open a bottle I pray that it's not like the ec18 I had..

capitals83
10-17-2012, 16:59
Ancient Ancient Age 10 star. At 6 years and 90 proof I had expectations of something drinkable, but I was wrong. It is the only bourbon I thought belonged down the drain. I would take benchmark any day of the week over Ancient Ancient Age 10 star.

Ejmharris
10-17-2012, 17:55
Ancient Ancient Age 10 star. At 6 years and 90 proof I had expectations of something drinkable, but I was wrong. It is the only bourbon I thought belonged down the drain. I would take benchmark any day of the week over Ancient Ancient Age 10 star.

Really? I have always been ok with the 10 star. Not as good as the 10 year but that is obvious. I find the 10 star very drinkable but them again we all have different taste buds.

Brisko
10-18-2012, 09:26
I had a bottle of Very Old Heaven Hill 8 year, 86 proof (a bottom shelfer ubiquitous in Minnesota, and maybe one other market) that was pretty bad. Way too drying and tannic, and tasted like rejected Beam juice (hell, maybe it was, after the fire...) Even at $10 a liter it was bad.

But, I just bought another bottle of it and it's really, really good. Think of the better EC12s (the ones that aren't hot and overwoody) and you've got it. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

BourbonBalls
10-18-2012, 12:54
Pappy 15 the WORST youve ever had!?>?? You havent tried much, have you??

qman22
10-18-2012, 20:30
The worst bourbon I've had was a bad bottle of Eagle Rare 10. I normally enjoy this whiskey, but this bottle tasted like there was dirt in it.

nocoins
10-18-2012, 21:42
Jim Beam white. The smell . . . the taste . . . the thought . . . just makes me want to puke. I have tried to drink this multiple times, and I no longer will. The only bourbon that I have ever experienced this with.

unclebunk
10-19-2012, 04:01
Easy...Old Bardstown that tasted like the shit from the horse pictured on the label. I wouldn't even subject my drain to it.

DanG
10-19-2012, 18:41
Jim Beam White Label. It's the bourbon that turned me off bourbon when I was about 18. I'm just glad I found my way to great bourbon!

JR1968
10-19-2012, 21:23
Hi Guy's

This week I went back and got another bottle of Ten High.

Seeing it was one of the first few Bourbon I tried, thinking since I have tried many different Bourbons since then, and maybe it
was my inexperience with Bourbon. Still not crazy about it.

Later,
JR1968

samstone
10-24-2012, 17:48
i know its not bourbon but the crown royal black was so nasty i poured it out. And i dont pour anything out

smokinjoe
10-24-2012, 20:37
i know its not bourbon but the crown royal black was so nasty i poured it out. And i dont pour anything out

You should have stopped after your first 5 words...

soonami
10-25-2012, 13:11
EC18 is a single barrel, plus, I've noticed that air makes quite a difference. I've had great, good, and awful experiences with various bottles.

I just put it down to a bad barrel, the drink may be gone but the memory of the taste is burned in. Every time I open a bottle I pray that it's not like the ec18 I had..

Isn't it the job of the master distiller to make sure that even with barrel variations, that you don't put awful barrels into the mix? It really dilutes the brand value. Maybe that's what they're doing with the 20 year, select fewer barrels for presumably better quality and higher price. Still, I think it's poor practice to have such bottle-to-bottle variation. I dont' hear people saying the same thing about Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms, that there are awful bottlings. Sure some are less good than others, but none have been bad IMO.

gcsjr
10-25-2012, 13:59
Well, here I am with very little experience, but I had a bit of a 200mL bottle of Evan Williams Black label the other day...and it tasted like bourbon mixed with Lysterine. Is this normal for that label?

angler82
10-26-2012, 07:08
Jame Pepper 15 year old. Apparently it is old LDI bourbon. Horrendous stuff.

p_elliott
10-26-2012, 07:44
Isn't it the job of the master distiller to make sure that even with barrel variations, that you don't put awful barrels into the mix? It really dilutes the brand value. Maybe that's what they're doing with the 20 year, select fewer barrels for presumably better quality and higher price. Still, I think it's poor practice to have such bottle-to-bottle variation. I don't' hear people saying the same thing about Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms, that there are awful bottlings. Sure some are less good than others, but none have been bad IMO.

Bottle to bottle variation is the whole fun of doing single barrel bourbons. You're looking for that honey barrel or enjoying the uniqueness of the individual barrels. If you want them all to taste the same drink the mass produced stuff.

soonami
10-30-2012, 13:10
Bottle to bottle variation is the whole fun of doing single barrel bourbons. You're looking for that honey barrel or enjoying the uniqueness of the individual barrels. If you want them all to taste the same drink the mass produced stuff.
There is nothing wrong with variation, but I don't think it's good to have a brand with inconsistent flavor profiles from batch to batch. I understand that some people perceive taste differently, but some people find some bottlings of EC18 to be really terrible, like mildewy old wood. I haven't had that many, only one which I thought was good, so I don't know from personal experience, but I think that even if a product is a single barrel offering, that the consumer should have a reasonable expectation of what the next bottle should taste like--and it shouldn't be bad.

Sure if you want consistency in flavor profile, Jack Daniels is where its at.

petrel800
10-30-2012, 13:50
I know Woodford has it's fans, but I bought a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked the first time I saw it on a shelf, and it was just not good. All I got out of it was bitterness and astringency. I tried it neat, on ice, with water, in cocktails . . . I even tried to finish the bottle off one Sunday by pouring with Coke and I couldn't do it. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I think that's just what it tastes like. Of all the bottles I've bought, it's the only one that I feel a "fool (me) got parted from his money."

savagehenry
10-30-2012, 14:55
Hudson Baby Bourbon. They had PVW 20 on the menu but had run out. The bartender said the closest thing they had was Hudson Baby Bourbon. Boy was she wrong. Tasted like tequila to me. She gave me a refund.

HighInTheMtns
10-30-2012, 16:34
Hudson Baby Bourbon. They had PVW 20 on the menu but had run out. The bartender said the closest thing they had was Hudson Baby Bourbon. Boy was she wrong. Tasted like tequila to me. She gave me a refund.
LOL! Clearly a 3 month old bourbon is the closest thing to Pappy 20. What a great bartender!

MyOldKyDram
10-30-2012, 16:36
I'd be interested in knowing what the furthest thing from PVW20 they had was.

Josh
10-30-2012, 16:42

That's the funniest damn thing I've read all week.

c2walker
10-30-2012, 19:35

It probably was the closest thing they had to PVW 20...with respect to price.

jburlowski
10-31-2012, 17:55
What? No one has mentioned WR4G? Truly an abomination. (Although I give BF props for refunding my money when I complained...)

Josh
10-31-2012, 19:26
What? No one has mentioned WR4G? Truly an abomination. (Although I give BF props for refunding my money when I complained...)

Of course it also spawned one of the greatest SB threads ever...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?6086-Woodford-Reserve-Master’s-Collection-Four-Grain-(Batch-No-2)

smokinjoe
11-05-2012, 15:46
Ya know, as I've pondered this some more, I gotta say that the Top 10 Worst Bourbons that I've ever tried were all dusties. I've had recent releases that really didn't deliver much enjoyment, but I'm hard pressed to say any of them were bad, per se. But, I am totally convinced that many of the dusties (including the notorious Bourbon Supreme I mentioned earlier in this thread), started off bad...and stayed bad. My contention has always been, that there is a reason that some of these dusties are still on the shelf after all of these years. Because nobody bought them then, because they sucked then! Lesson I have learned: Dust on the bottle and a tax strip across the top does not always signify good whiskey. :Clever:

Mickbourbon
11-05-2012, 16:08
This thread reminds me of a friends answer to the question, What is the worst sex you ever had? To which he replied: "I haven't had bad sex just varying degrees of good".
But there is a Woodford Reserve distillers select that I can't seem to get through have partaken of 2-3 times and have had it at least a year.

Gillman
11-05-2012, 17:05
Josh: that old thread on WR4G comes up occasionally. I stand by what I said there, which is that that bourbon was a classic pot still flavor, one I recognize in some Irish whiskey, in some craft bourbons made today and in other contexts, old rum sometimes for example. The tastes are waxy, dough-like, pungent. It was a taste of history but many didn't like it because it didn't taste like the typical aged bourbon made from a column still. Fair enough. But it had its merits and made a great blending or cocktail whiskey for those who couldn't abide it neat. It was ahead of its time and when you look at the plethora of white whiskeys, young whiskeys and other specialty products of the emerging craft distillers, it led the way. Not everyone likes these products, but they are carving a niche and respond to the desire of many for artisan products made in a historical way.

Gary

gcsjr
11-05-2012, 17:10
Well, here I am with very little experience, but I had a bit of a 200mL bottle of Evan Williams Black label the other day...and it tasted like bourbon mixed with Lysterine. Is this normal for that label?

Well, tried this again after a couple of weeks. The Lysterine flavor is MUCH less. I might be able to finish it after all. :-)

c2walker
11-05-2012, 17:13
I wouldn't even use Canada Dry Stitzel-Weller for cooking.

awachatz
11-05-2012, 17:30
Hudson Baby Bourbon is the worst stuff I put my lips to.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

camduncan
11-05-2012, 17:59
Josh: that old thread on WR4G comes up occasionally. I stand by what I said there, which is that that bourbon was a classic pot still flavor, one I recognize in some Irish whiskey, in some craft bourbons made today and in other contexts, old rum sometimes for example. The tastes are waxy, dough-like, pungent. It was a taste of history but many didn't like it because it didn't taste like the typical aged bourbon made from a column still. Fair enough. But it had its merits and made a great blending or cocktail whiskey for those who couldn't abide it neat. It was ahead of its time and when you look at the plethora of white whiskeys, young whiskeys and other specialty products of the emerging craft distillers, it led the way. Not everyone likes these products, but they are carving a niche and respond to the desire of many for artisan products made in a historical way.

Gary

Very, very well said Gary!

Near_Teetotaler
11-09-2012, 10:18
I was really hoping I would like honey-flavored concoctions, and they were both awful.

(1) Evan Williams Honey Reserve (to be fair, labeled as a "Kentucky Liqueur", but the next line does add "Made with extra-aged bourbon")

(2) Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey ... again, cannot exactly call itself a bourbon. I pray your indulgence ...

Both were in the category of "gack".

mopgcw
11-14-2012, 18:08
i agree, not a fan of the hudson, it was ok, but for the price...

and Bulleit. just personally found it not enjoyable at all.

wildcatdon
11-16-2012, 12:07
Devils Cut,Angels Envy and Red Stag if you can call that bourbon..

HighInTheMtns
11-17-2012, 00:54
Red Stag if you can call that bourbon..
You can't call that bourbon :-D

sku
11-17-2012, 09:27
Easily High Plains Most Wanted Bourbon out of Kansas. Tasted like vanilla extract with no discernible bourbon characteristics.

bad_scientist
11-17-2012, 12:53
I would say the worst was a bottle of Heaven Hill gold label, 80 proof, tax stripped, bottled some time in the mid '80s, IIRC. It started off nice and fruity, a real surprise from HH, but within minutes it was like drinking strained vomit.

Gillman
11-17-2012, 13:29
This is tangential but may be of interest to those with bottles of oily, young or other bourbon just not to their taste. Why not put it through a Brita water filter? I tried this with a vodka that had a chemical-like odor and it is remarkable how that flavor was reduced by just a few minutes going through the filter. (I used a filter that had seen a few weeks filtering water because if you use a very new one, a slight charcoal or dusty taste can be communicated to the liquid in my experience).

I am sure it would take out the stronger tastes yet retain the full alcoholic power of the drink. The vodka seemed as strong as before, but was softer on the palate and with just a hint of the taste I found objectionable to start with. I was thinking of putting it through again but I actually liked the balance that came off the filter.

The only thing is, I am not sure if it would reduce the color and therefore some of the barrel taste. You could start with less than a full bottle of course. I just poured it in the jug in which the filter rests, just as we do for water. I didn't try to extract the activated charcoal from the filter and let the spirit sit on it (say shaking from time to time) but that is another possibility.

I was, again, very surprised at the noticeable improvement it made.

Gary

ethangsmith
11-17-2012, 13:36
My bottles of Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, and Kentucky XO are pretty dang bad. For the price, I was expecting much, much more. It's like these are the un-balanced reject barrels from Heaven Hill. Bitter tannin notes with an off-tasting grain note. The Noah's Mill is the most vile offender. Tastes like unaged corn whiskey, cheap wine, and mulch. A few drops of water at least makes it drinkable. Not the worst I've had, but for the price, it's pretty terrible.

BAO
11-17-2012, 16:56
Not a fan of Bulleit, something about it is really off putting. Had it on half dozen occasions, same experience each time.

ethangsmith
11-17-2012, 17:09
Agreed on that one too. The bourbon has that gross citrus/acid Four Roses thing going on. The Bulleit Rye, on the other hand, is quite good.

dementedavenger
11-20-2012, 07:52
Yellowstone. I think it could also be marketed as anti-freeze or hair remover.

JB64
11-20-2012, 21:41
Easily High Plains Most Wanted Bourbon out of Kansas. Tasted like vanilla extract with no discernible bourbon characteristics.

I have seen this on the shelves for over a year now and while curious I have never pulled the trigger. Your post has reinforced my suspicions that this is a product I would probably not like.

squire
11-22-2012, 11:19
I cannot say I've ever bought an undrinkable Bourbon, even in our broke grad school bottom purchases days, but I did get one that was cork tainted. The vendor promptly gave me a refund.

squire
11-22-2012, 11:35
This thread also makes me mindful of the comment by William Faulkner:

"Oh, I'll drink most anything, Bourbon, Corn Whiskey, between scotch and nothing I'll drink scotch".

Regards,
Squire

Borchard
03-17-2013, 06:09
This! :grin: haha

johnm13
03-17-2013, 13:49
WR's "special" ryes.

stiffchainey
03-17-2013, 14:01
Ezra Brooks by far. Really evil stuff.

ebo
03-17-2013, 16:46
Just goes to show that people's tastes are different. I'm very fond of Ezra Brooks 90 and especially the 101.

ethangsmith
03-17-2013, 16:48
I'm going to back ebo on this one too. Ezra 90 and 101 are my go-to bourbons. If you don't like it, you can always send me yours! It won't go to waste around me!

darylld911
03-17-2013, 17:19
I think that Old Granddad 114 is the worst bourbon I have ever tried - along with Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star. Anyone who can read this should just avoid both of those for their own good, because it has to be true since it is on the internet.

SFS
03-17-2013, 17:59
OGD114 is pretty bad, but in fairness, I grudgingly place it two steps ahead of Dickel #12, and am on record here as to why the Dickel was poured down my drain.

Full disclosure: I've not tried the now (in)famous Premium Bourbon Supreme. (But I really want the goatskin jacket, so I'm potentially, reluctantly, game, I think.)

TheNovaMan
03-17-2013, 23:58
Just goes to show that people's tastes are different. I'm very fond of Ezra Brooks 90 and especially the 101. I think this pretty much sums up the thread, but I'm going to add to it anyway...

I think the "worst" bourbon I've ever had was Ten High; however this speaks more to the goodness of bourbon in general than the badness of Ten High. It was just young and low-proof, but it was a perfectly good whiskey and honestly a good value. I haven't gone out of my way to try all that many of the lowest-shelf pours, but in my opinion, care and time was taken to produce anything that is called straight bourbon, and I count none of them among the worst kinds of rotgut. Right on, Jim! More than one person has mentioned how they disliked Ten High, which perplexes me. I've spent alot of time on bottom shelf bourbons, and Ten High (straight, not "bourbon blend") is what I think WAS the best whiskey for the least money. Other than being a little harsh and simple, which you should expect from a cheap, young bourbon, there was nothing WRONG with it: no goofy/off flavors, and no fusel oil finish. It went great in mixes, OK in cocktails, and I even drank it on ice or neat sometimes. Even now, as a blend, it doesn't suck nearly as much as other blends, probably because it contains way more bourbon than any other blend I've tried. However, my conscience won't let me recommend anyone try the blend. My current best cheap bourbon is HH80, but I welcome your suggestions.
On the other hand, Old Crow is the only bourbon I have only purchased once. It was rotgut, plain and simple. I'd much rather drink Ten High blend neat than Old Croak in a mixed drink!

stiffchainey
03-18-2013, 04:29
The Ezra Brooks I meant was a very cheap one, around 13 , so 15 Dollar I reckon. The OGD 114 is my favourite bourbon!!! :lol:

squire
03-18-2013, 12:47
To me a bottle is bad when I realize I paid 2-3 times more than it's worth.

sob0728
03-18-2013, 13:33
To me a bottle is bad when I realize I paid 2-3 times more than it's worth.

By those standards, my worst bourbon would be Black Maple Hill (paid $30, worth $10) or 2011 WLW. I don't know if I have a tainted bottle of the WLW or what, but I have poured it 4 or 5 different times and it has never been good.

Alden
03-18-2013, 13:39
Jack Daniels. Tastes like ass to me.

squire
03-18-2013, 13:50
You will know if the cork is tainted SOB, if so even a high proof whisky will be undrinkable.

Alden
03-18-2013, 13:53
SOB? What does that mean?

squire
03-18-2013, 13:54
Those are the initials of the poster to whom I was responding.

Alden
03-18-2013, 13:57
Oh I see. Now it makes sense. I thought it meant the other thing, the way my dad used to use it. :lol:

Josh
03-18-2013, 14:14
Jack Daniels. Tastes like ass to me.

Which begs the question...

Alden
03-18-2013, 16:08
I should say, tastes like I imagine ass would taste.

:slappin:

ethangsmith
03-18-2013, 17:11
Yea, Black Maple Hill was a huge disappointment, as was Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. For what the price tag is, I will not be buying any more of them.

Meruck
03-18-2013, 17:27
I've heard of people just spitting it out in the sink.

berkeley223
03-18-2013, 19:25
I'd say my most disappointing was Woodford Reserve's Seasoned Oak Finish. It tasted like smoked shoe leather. I also don't like Blanton's.
As for worst, probably Old Crow or something (whatever I used to drink in college when I didn't know bourbon from scotch)

ramblinman
03-18-2013, 20:36
Old Grandad 114 is petty terrible stuff, its like they ran standard beam through a sweat sock.

Second only to that would be Willy Nelson's own Old Whiskey River. Few buddies and I thought it'd be a good idea to have a real whiskey tasting instead of usual beer and jack fun. I remember hearing "this has got to be great, Willy seems like a man that would really know his whiskey", and immediately thinking about the poor decision making that the red headed stranger is known for. I recall char, salt, and a bundle of other horrible flavors. Very young in my whiskey drinking at the time and I'd probably think different now, but the rememberance of it still makes my stomach turn a bit.

ErichPryde
03-18-2013, 21:30
I tried an old log cabin dusty from the 60s that tasted like gasoline and burning tires.

JPBoston
03-18-2013, 22:25
Fighting Cock, Old Forrester didn't dump but turned into marinade.

For shame!!! I know this post is old, but FC is damn fine stuff.

I'd have to go with Beam Black label. I've enjoyed everything else I've tried to varying degrees, even Benchmark.

unclebunk
03-19-2013, 07:24
Old Bardstown. My bottle was absolutely terrible and holds the distinction of being the only bottle I've ever dumped down the drain in my life.

drunk
03-19-2013, 14:26
This is quite an entertaining thread. Blanton's, Dickel 12, Noah's Mill are some of the worst you've had?! Were you drinking them with or without a silver spoon in your mouth? :lol: I kid. Perfect example that the best bourbon out there is the one that tastes best to you, and why when new folks ask for recommendations, we tell them to just try everything.

Back on topic, the worst I've had was Yahara Bay, an indie from Madison, WI. In a close second place was Willett Pot Still. Tasted like nutty, salty, buttery popcorn gone bad.

MauiSon
03-19-2013, 14:37
Man, I want to taste that! On a side note, my wife really wants me to buy one for the funny-shaped bottle.

BourbonBalls
03-19-2013, 14:56

However, its a blended whiskey. Not 100% barreled whiskey

BourbonBalls
03-19-2013, 14:58
Pappy Van Winkle 15.

Just a second...let me clean out my ears. I don't think I heard that right! Pappy 15 the WORST you've ever had??? The question for you, what is the BEST you've had???

squire
03-19-2013, 15:06
Ten High is a blend in some parts of the Country and a straight in other areas. The straight version is essentially a 4 year old 80 proof Barton.

LostBottle
03-19-2013, 19:27
You will know if the cork is tainted SOB, if so even a high proof whisky will be undrinkable.

SOB? What does that mean?

The are the initials of the poster to whom I was responding

Oh I see. Now it makes sense. I thought it meant the other thing, the way my dad used to use it. :lol:

This was pretty funny.

black mamba
03-19-2013, 23:23
First let me say I'm an inveterate mixer. I have a decent palate, and frequently taste a couple different things and think they would both be improved by combining them. So I never pour out whiskey. If it's bad, I try blending it into drinkability. Usually works.

Bulleit, Old Bardstown 101 and B&E didn't impress me at all, but are OK for vatting. Definitely not good for the $$.

But the only whiskey I ever gave away was a recent bottle of Rebel Yell. It was weak and bland and just yuck, and I gave it to my son-in-law.

squire
03-20-2013, 05:57
Gotta admit, that last line got me.

black mamba
03-20-2013, 15:34
Gotta admit, that last line got me.

I hope in a good way, squire. He loved it!

squire
03-20-2013, 15:52
Mamba, a guy came by my office, sat a bottle of grade whisky on my desk and said, "Happy birthday, I brought you a bottle of 'good enough' whisky".

Okay, I'll bite, what's 'good enough' whisky?

"Well, if it were any better I'd kept it and if it was any worse you wouldn't drink it".

black mamba
03-20-2013, 15:57
LOL! I can't help it if my son-in-law is a lightweight! He adds water and ice to 80 proof liquor.

Old Dusty
03-20-2013, 16:16
But the only whiskey I ever gave away was a recent bottle of Rebel Yell. It was weak and bland and just yuck, and I gave it to my son-in-law.

I will second this-the badness not the giving away- and while it wasn't the worst ever, the most disappointing was Rebel Reserve. Didn't expect much and it delivered less. Flat, thin boring and whatever "extra age" it had over Reb Yell must have been measured in minutes.

Grain Belt
03-20-2013, 18:02
I will second this-the badness not the giving away- and while it wasn't the worst ever, the most disappointing was Rebel Reserve. Didn't expect much and it delivered less. Flat, thin boring and whatever "extra age" it had over Reb Yell must have been measured in minutes.

Tried a bottle of the Reb Yell Reserve from a promotion a local store has for a "bourbon of the month." It was rough. Let's just say I was much happier when they had Woodford Reserve for $25 and EWSB for $19.

BillP
03-23-2013, 16:51
So a couple years ago I tried EC 12. It was by far the worst I ever tasted. Like burnt leather.

But recently I tried the latest batch. Wow! What a difference. I would say it could easily be in the top 5 I ever had. So the lesson leaned from all this is to try at least 2 before you give it the ultimate thumbs down.

squire
03-23-2013, 18:30
Good advise Bill, one shouldn't be too hasty in dismissing these things.

Skinsfan1311
03-24-2013, 16:08
Kentucky Gentleman. I bought a bottle to make bourbon slushes, (I have a great recipe if anyone wants it), and made the mistake of trying some before mixing. It's truly, the worst "bourbon" that I've ever had.

mosugoji64
03-24-2013, 22:22
Kentucky Gentleman. I bought a bottle to make bourbon slushes, (I have a great recipe if anyone wants it), and made the mistake of trying some before mixing. It's truly, the worst "bourbon" that I've ever had.

At the Sampler last year an interloper commented, after seeing that we were all drinking bourbons, that he had tried Kentucky Gentleman and thought it was pretty rough. I replied, "He's no gentleman, he's an asshole." Thought that summed it up.

squire
03-25-2013, 11:39
It's the nature of a blend like Kentucky Gentleman to be rough because the GNS that makes up most of the blend is almost pure alcohol straight off the still.

p_elliott
03-26-2013, 04:02
Some asshole:grin: to be unnamed put ghost peppers in OGD. I had To rinse my mouth out for 20 min and get a new glass. Very funny.

Josh
03-26-2013, 06:26
That good-looking asshole also clearly labeled that bottle of (86 proof) Old Granddad as being infused with ghost peppers! :cool: Caveat potator!

squire
03-26-2013, 06:58
Anybody who would adulterate Old Grand Dad should be . . . well . . . chastised.

BradleyC
03-26-2013, 07:39
Anybody who would adulterate Old Grand Dad should be . . . well . . . chastised.

Ha ha.

I can think of a few really bad bottles that I have had. Once there was a really nasty handle of ND OT 80 that just would not go away. Sam Houston NAS is on the list followed by green label Johnny Drum. Last would be some undrinkable SW Old Fitz Prime 80 proof from the late 80s. This is my short list of bottles that I will never finish.

Creggor
01-16-2014, 16:56
without a doubt old whiskey river.. I think this is what it was called.. After I had drank it one night.. I dumpoed the rest down the drain..

squire
01-16-2014, 17:04
I don't think Heaven Hill is very proud of that one.

Ravensfire
01-16-2014, 17:04
While not a bourbon, I tried the Dry Fly Port Finished Wheat Whiskey and damn near threw that crap out. I don't even know if I can cook with it. It starts out okay but then it just turns into a gawd-awful mess. The huckleberry port gives it a truly nasty flavor that just continues on and on. plbgh!

-- Ravensfire

garbanzobean
01-16-2014, 17:30
I don't live in an area where hunting for dusties is likely to bear fruit, so my list is mostly bourbons that were probably either bad batches or just not what I wanted that night:

James Pepper. No story, it's just not very good bourbon
Black Maple Hill NAS that was actually pretty good until 2/3 gone . . . turned gritty on me. Might have been poorly filtered?
Russell's Reserve 10. Was hyped up by a friend. Underwhelming.
Finally:
Hancock's President's Reserve. Forced down my throat at Total Wine by a manager who was trying to sell me on that instead of Elijah Craig 12. Tasted like Listerine and Garbage Water

Other Whiskey related abominations that I would be more likely to feed to my toilet than drink again:
Any of the new bourbon based liqueurs. Tennessee Honey is a great example of that. And by great I mean terrible.
Southern Comfort. Gross.

The worst whiskey I've ever had:
Connemara Single Malt. Proof that just because you can make a peated whiskey doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea. Tasted like oily plastic. Super disappointing given my love of Islay and Island peated whiskies.

BourbonGuy
01-16-2014, 17:33
I have bottle of Colonel Lee from a few years ago that is totally vile heinous stuff. Just thinking about it turns my stomach.

Otherwise, I try to buy stuff that has generally proven drinkable. If not, I have a great BBQ marinade recipe...

1/3 bourbon

1/3 soy sauce

1/4 olive oil with

fresh ground ginger, garlics and cayenne pepper

Soak meats for a day, fishes for 4 hrs

Guaranteed to improve and dispose of the most mediocre of whiskey

Cheers

RW

Worst I have was Old Crow. I tasted like that candy corn kids eat with alcohol.

I will have to try your recipe! I have never dumped a whiskey. I use it to spray my ribs
Apple Juice, bourbon, some soy sauce and butter. Cook ribs low and slow.

Anex
01-16-2014, 18:50
Old Heaven Hill was my least favorite pour. Very medicinal

393foureyedfox
01-16-2014, 18:58
Old Heaven Hill was my least favorite pour. Very medicinal

which proof point?

I kinda like HH old style bourbon, but it is a fairly run-of-the-mill bourbon

HP12
01-16-2014, 19:17
Charred Oak Bourbon - 100 prf was pretty bad. It's a diabolical drain pour and thankfully it was only a sample I tasted.

Anex
01-16-2014, 20:04
which proof point?

I kinda like HH old style bourbon, but it is a fairly run-of-the-mill bourbon

It was the BiB. Just didn't agree with my palate

393foureyedfox
01-16-2014, 20:22
It was the BiB. Just didn't agree with my palate

gold or white label?

squire
01-16-2014, 20:35
Charred Oak Bourbon - 100 prf was pretty bad.

I take it you mean Charter Oak, that old bottom shelfer of some years back?

Anex
01-16-2014, 20:35
gold or white label?

Is was the gold label. DSP-KY-31

393foureyedfox
01-16-2014, 20:42
Is was the gold label. DSP-KY-31

the gold label is generally regarded as the lesser one. try the white 6 year one sometime, or the green 6 year 90 proof. They're all at $9-10 here, and hard to beat at that price. Is there much HH in TX?

Anex
01-16-2014, 20:57
the gold label is generally regarded as the lesser one. try the white 6 year one sometime, or the green 6 year 90 proof. They're all at $9-10 here, and hard to beat at that price. Is there much HH in TX?

Thanks for the recommendation! I have seen the white label, but never the green label.

squire
01-17-2014, 04:54
HH also has a 4 year 80 proof green label which can be thin and a bit hot. I haven't seen the green 6/90 outside of Kentucky or Tennessee.

dcbt
01-17-2014, 04:56
I can't even think of a terrible one I've had... It helps that I got into bourbon after my immature days (Translation: my drink-to-get-drunk days. Translation: the days I bought the cheapest crap available.) So I've never had anything bottom shelf, and nothing mid-tier or higher has completely turned me off.

Dolph Lundgren
01-17-2014, 04:59
Not quite bourbon, but the regular James Pepper Rye is about as terrible as they come: hot, young and one dimensional (funny how that is opposite to what I look for in women...I kid, I kid). In all seriousness, avoid James Pepper Rye.

Tony Santana
01-17-2014, 05:39
I'm not 100% sure it's even bourbon, but while cleaning out my parents' house I came across a bottle of Corby's. Took one whiff of it and stood up straight. Took one sip of it and spit it out. The only whiskey I've ever poured down the drain. Too bad my dad wasn't a bourbon geek, I could have taken my inheritance in SW juice or something.

JVande
01-17-2014, 05:53
Some Old Heaven Hill bottled in the early 90's. It made me go partially blind for 2 weeks...

squire
01-17-2014, 05:57
Corby is an old Canadian brand and a good one. Something as vile as you described probably had a tainted cork which does make the contents smell and taste bad.

393foureyedfox
01-17-2014, 06:06
Ive never had a 'bad' bourbon, but lots that I just didnt care for due to my tastes.

the only thing Ive ever dumped out was Old Overholt, but it's technically not bourbon. I couldnt even mask it by using it in my BBQ sauce. Shame though, Id heard it used to be a good brand

jaycamm
01-17-2014, 07:19
I gotta go with Rebel Yell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MyOldKyDram
01-17-2014, 07:20
It deserves to be mentioned...Cleveland.

tylermke
01-17-2014, 07:28

Is that stuff even considered drinkable? :p

squire
01-17-2014, 07:31

So do bodily functions but there is a time and a place.

MyOldKyDram
01-17-2014, 07:32
That place being in the same sentence w Cleveland whiskey.

Yeti
01-17-2014, 07:50
I tend to enjoy everything in varying degrees, but Cleveland is rough. Can't really think of a straight bourbon that I would have outright negative things to say.

HighInTheMtns
01-17-2014, 08:04

I tend to enjoy everything in varying degrees, but Cleveland is rough. Can't really think of a straight bourbon that I would have outright negative things to say.
You guys were just too deep in the gazebo to give it a fair shot.

dSculptor
01-17-2014, 08:22
I agree with Yeti ,never came across one that I would dump, some just as not as good as others , I find them all a unique experience,If some are not so good I try to vat them, better than dumping.One lower on the list for me was the Wathens, found it to be really dry and flat,and although not a straight someone gave me a bottle of Jeremiah weed.. it still sits almost full, but I still wouldn't dump it. Most of the bottom shelfers for me I try to visit now & then to see if anything has changed. I totally like mine neat ,and if some are worse than others,I will also try them with coke, never had one that couldn't be cut with that stuff.

squire
01-17-2014, 08:29
Coke never met a Bourbon it didn't like.

tlandwe2
01-17-2014, 08:40
Old Crow for me. A buddy of mine was grabbing a round of drinks and decided it would be funny to order me one neat. I was not amused but still choked it down

upStomp
01-17-2014, 11:10
Leaving out a couple obvious bottom shelfers, Wathen's and Angel's Envy. Both taste like Scotch to me, with the Wathen's adding notes of table sugar.

smknjoe
01-17-2014, 11:16
Greatest American Hero, that's good to know.

r60slash5
01-17-2014, 12:34
Red State/Blue State

Ted

nywahoo
01-17-2014, 12:40
Jeffers Creek .. it's just awful.

whiskeyagonzo
01-17-2014, 12:59
I recall camping with a buddy in my younger days and we just wanted to get drunk. I bought some McCormick's I think it was. It was barely suitable for even that purpose. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure it was bourbon. It was around 15 years ago so it may have contained some GNS. It was awful whatever it was.

bingstein
01-17-2014, 13:24
Boy I've had some dusty OC8s that were atrocious.

sutton
01-17-2014, 13:35
A DSP-1 OFitz BiB ... had to be bottle variation though since an earlier bottle was fine - but this one was very grassy, herbal, dirty...the scent memory it evoked was fresh lawn clippings. Didn't dump it though, blended it w/ some Maker's, Larceny, and two tablespoons of maple syrup. That did the trick!:grin:

balassit
01-17-2014, 14:04
Not really bourbon, but Balcone's Brimstone. It was at a tasting a buddy put together. I couldn't even drink the tasting portion. I know some people love the sutff, to each their own. I thought it tasted like rain water scooped out of a fire pit.

black mamba
01-17-2014, 14:30
Breaking and Entering comes quickly to mind, as does Rebel Yell. Only two bottles I couldn't finish, even by mingling with something better.

fishnbowljoe
01-17-2014, 15:07
Gran Legacy. Probably a young, bulk whiskey that was bottled for a grocery store chain here. I bought it right after I got into bourbon. I figured what the heck, it was only $16.00 for a handle. Tried a couple of pours three or four times over about a six month period. After the last time I tasted it, down the drain it went. :crazy: Cody Road comes in a very close second though. :puke:

WAINWRIGHT
01-17-2014, 15:58
:crazy: Cody Road comes in a very close second though. :puke:Distilled,aged and distributed all from the depths of hell I believe,pure evil in a bottle.

Jorgemu1
01-17-2014, 16:11
I recently gifted some BT Single Oak Project to my parents for the holidays. I figured it was a good way to make some space in the bunker. Last week they had opened one and I had a small taste of it. Sadly, I could not finish a shot's worth of bourbon. I don't recall the barrel number but now I'm thankful I stopped collecting the SOP bottles. Too expensive and too risky for $50 bucks for a 375ml.

Kpiz
01-17-2014, 16:25
Cyrus Noble. It smelled and tasted like the foreshots coming off a still.

Grain Belt
01-17-2014, 17:21
Distilled,aged and distributed all from the depths of hell I believe,pure evil in a bottle.

Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local. I think my hard earned cash will go to a Rare Breed instead.

FWIW I once absolutely struggled through a bottle of Rebel Yell Reserve and the only thing I could think is "If this is the Reserve, what is the standard like?"

squire
01-17-2014, 17:49
The standard version is worst, let me tell 'ya. A shame really, these venerable old brands should've received a dignified funeral instead.

jonhalter
01-17-2014, 18:20
Reading this thread caused me to reach to the back of the cabinet and pull out the 1 that I would place on the list. No, not bourbon, but rye. Old overholt to be exact. As I currently take a sip, is it as bad as remembered? no. Is it good? No. I wont drink this often, but it isnt like Id have to choke it down. Right now Im having it with a cube. The bottle will eventually be finished in coke. It excites me that the worst tasting (in my opinion) bourbon/rye is still tolerable. Bad bourbons are few and far between. Good bourbons are plentiful.

mbroo5880i
01-17-2014, 18:38
Ten High blend from a beverage dispenser at a hotel. The server apologized when she dispensed it into the glass. I took a couple of sips and then poured it into a planter.

fishnbowljoe
01-17-2014, 20:42
Holy hell guys! You might have saved my life! Just read a favorable review in some whiskey rag and almost bought some Cody Road that just showed up at my local.

I can't remember the thread, but another member here was inquiring about Cody Road once. The response Vosgar posted was, "Avoid it like the plague."

Vosgar
01-17-2014, 22:01
I can't remember the thread, but another member here was inquiring about Cody Road once. The response Vosgar posted was, "Avoid it like the plague."

I sincerely hope it's gotten better since that batch 1 bottle I bought almost 2 years ago. The distillery is only a couple of hours away from me and I'd really like to see them put out a quality product and do well. They're buying grain locally and doing their own distilling, but they need to age it longer and in standard size barrels, IMHO

deathevocation
01-17-2014, 23:22
Townhouse, an old Safeway brand, worst thing ever.

hn4bourbon
01-17-2014, 23:29
Of the many bottles I've opened, the only one I've given away is a Willett Pot Still.

Harry in WashDC
01-19-2014, 13:14
Just read the WHOLE thread (baseball can't get here soon enough). I echo what garbonzobean wrote a while back --

One of my local purveyors told me I'd like Pepper 1776 Straight B. I didn't. I finished that bottle but won't drink it again. The only shot I've ever ordered and NOT finished in my 45+ years of bourbon was a neat Black Maple Hill.

J-Brew
01-21-2014, 10:28
Just read the WHOLE thread (baseball can't get here soon enough). I echo what garbonzobean wrote a while back --

One of my local purveyors told me I'd like Pepper 1776 Straight B. I didn't. I finished that bottle but won't drink it again. The only shot I've ever ordered and NOT finished in my 45+ years of bourbon was a neat Black Maple Hill.

I'm not nearly as seasoned as many of the bourbon drinkers on this site, but Pepper 1776 is the only bourbon I've tried that I did not want to finish. It tasted sour, almost like pickle juice. Just dreadful to me.

michaelturtle1
01-21-2014, 10:45
not bourbon but I am coming to hate Dickel 9 yr and 14 yr.. I have a 9 yr barrel pick that none of my friends will drink, they have all poured it out.. My local got 3 samples of 14 yr dickel to pick a barrel and I poured all 3 pours out without even finishing them.. with the exception of one they were completely undrinkable..

MyOldKyDram
01-21-2014, 10:46
Shoulda sent em to the fox!

393foureyedfox
01-21-2014, 11:57
Shoulda sent em to the fox!

yeah, send them to me......I've been buying every one I can get my hands on

tastes are HIGHLY subjective. You thoroughly despise my favorite whiskey, and I probably dislike something you like as well. no biggie.

If we all liked the same thing, imagine how hard it would be to find that one bourbon/whiskey!

Ive been stockpiling them because Im not sure theyll be continually released. They dont seem to move really well here in KY at least, and since retailers had to buy an entire barrels worth to get any, I doubt many retailers will take that deal in the future, seeing as how they kinda sit on shelves for a while. The TPS stock is moving very slowly. This problem is in my favor right now, but I am betting that once theyre gone, theyre gone altogether.

sailor22
01-21-2014, 16:31
Really couldn't think of a Bourbon or Rye that was truly awful every time I tasted it..... until last weekend when a friend brought some Hookers House Rye to a tasting at the barn. Truly a vile and puke worthy pour. No one cared for it at all and no one took a second sip. Just ghastly garbage. This was beyond just not caring for or enjoying a pour of something, you could hair lip the entire state of Georgia if you had enough of this crap.

squire
01-21-2014, 18:18
You would think they would choose a more successful general but perhaps it's only his name that counted.

393foureyedfox
01-21-2014, 18:36
You would think they would choose a more successful general but perhaps it's only his name that counted.

few will get that

393foureyedfox
01-21-2014, 18:40
not bourbon but I am coming to hate Dickel 9 yr ..........completely undrinkable..

If I found $2500 today, Id be at TPS tomorrow buying the rest of their Dickel 9 stock

smknjoe
01-21-2014, 18:41
We all took history classes in school...gee whiz.

393foureyedfox
01-21-2014, 18:44
We all took history classes in school...gee whiz.

granted, there are a good deal of people on here with multiple brain cells........but tomorrow, ask 10 random people who General Hooker fought for, or what he was generally known for.

jfw
01-21-2014, 19:00
Boy I've had some dusty OC8s that were atrocious.

bing bing bing !!! You have that exactly right!

I have an dusty old charter 7 from the 80s open that I keep trying because I can't believe it is really that bad. It is, it really is.

What the heck is that stuff, mislabled drain cleaner?

bingstein
01-21-2014, 19:03
bing bing bing !!! You have that exactly right!

I have an dusty old charter 7 from the 80s open that I keep trying because I can't believe it is really that bad. It is, it really is.

What the heck is that stuff, mislabled drain cleaner?

I don't get it because I love love love any OC10 from Louisville I find, and the few I've found with tax strips are pantheon pours. But god the OC8 is atrocious. All varieties I've ever had.

flahute
01-21-2014, 21:28
My history is short compared to most of you, but in my limited time, I'd go with Johnny Drum black label. Heard it was a good budget pour and tried it because it's cheap. Horrible stuff. It's somewhat drinkable, but nothing about it is enjoyable (to me.)

Kalessin
01-22-2014, 10:49
granted, there are a good deal of people on here with multiple brain cells........but tomorrow, ask 10 random people who General Hooker fought for, or what he was generally known for.

Heck, here in Massachusetts we honor the man rightly. We're the only state house with a General Hooker Entrance (I guess specialty hookers are brought in at the loading dock):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P8HWQ8XGT5E/TyxaXr2ygWI/AAAAAAAAAxM/ve6-G_hK3ys/s1600/mass.statehouse.general.hooker.entrance.1.jpg

p_elliott
01-24-2014, 07:59
Let's get back on the subject of the thread.

theglo
01-24-2014, 08:36
Heck, here in Massachusetts we honor the man rightly. We're the only state house with a General Hooker Entrance (I guess specialty hookers are brought in at the loading dock):
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P8HWQ8XGT5E/TyxaXr2ygWI/AAAAAAAAAxM/ve6-G_hK3ys/s1600/mass.statehouse.general.hooker.entrance.1.jpg

Haha that's funny. When I worked at the State House, we would always tell people to "meet at the Hooker statue."
As for the worst bourbon. Can't really say I hated any that I've tried, but I certainly do not love Basil Hayden's and didn't enjoy Bulleit. Only had Bulleit one time however and should probably give it another try.

DBM
01-24-2014, 08:51
I tried everything I could think of to improve a bottle of Willett Pot Still. Neat, water, ice, vatted with something good... the WPS just ruined everything that it touched. Bitter, sour and bland.

No_Reception
01-24-2014, 08:53
The new 'inspired by' Hirsch. Some of the worst stuff to ever pass my lips. Also, basil hayden's can't stand that stuff.

squire
01-24-2014, 09:02
I once cringed over a bottle of Sunny Brook but my reluctance was overcome by the fact it was all the whisky we had.

Trey Manthey
01-24-2014, 16:17
Woodford Reserve Sonoma-Cutrer finish

Totally barfy

fishnbowljoe
01-24-2014, 17:16
Woodford Reserve Sonoma-Cutrer finish

Totally barfy

Darn. I almost forgot about that one. :rolleyes: I agree Trey. Totally :puke:

Sydney BJW
01-25-2014, 21:43
Cougar Bourbon here in Australia is the worst I have had.

bookman
01-26-2014, 14:55
Rebel Yell, terrible taste, remembered fondly. We were coming off the line for the last time after a 9-month deployment to the Gulf of Tonkin and the Captain, against all U.S.naval regulations, had distributed two bottles of "champagne" to each ready room for officers only parties. Two flight surgeons contributed RY to fortify it an a punch bowl. I've never had it since but maybe I should.

fishnbowljoe
01-26-2014, 15:21
Rebel Yell, terrible taste, remembered fondly. We were coming off the line for the last time after a 9-month deployment to the Gulf of Tonkin and the Captain, against all U.S.naval regulations, had distributed two bottles of "champagne" to each ready room for officers only parties. Two flight surgeons contributed RY to fortify it an a punch bowl. I've never had it since but maybe I should.

I'd pass Jim. The stuff from back in the 70's is actually considered pretty decent, especially when compared to todays bottling. The current Rebel Yell is not at all like it was back then.

bookman
01-27-2014, 07:42
I'd pass Jim. The stuff from back in the 70's is actually considered pretty decent, especially when compared to todays bottling. The current Rebel Yell is not at all like it was back then.

Thanks, Joe, I'll take your advice. Life is too short to waste time on inferior stuff when there is so much better. Actually, back then (late '60s) most bourbon struck me as harsh, but I've long since seen the light.

squire
01-27-2014, 13:00
Back then a lot of them were, or at least seemed so, it was more than price that separated the top from bottom shelf.