PDA

View Full Version : What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
09-22-2012, 11:22
Cold damp day today here in the Mitten and it is perfect for some Vintage Rye 23yo, neat.
I am amazed at the lack of wood in this rye, it is simi-sweet and spicey.

OscarV
09-22-2012, 14:50
Back on it.
At 94prf I'd say it's a winner but I swear the barrel strength editions out there are walk on water types or should I say like bread/fish or water/wine?
Your call.

michaelturtle1
09-23-2012, 19:09
Having a nice pour of HW Rendezvous... I cant seem to get enough of this stuff!!

Ejmharris
09-23-2012, 19:54
Having a nice pour of HW Rendezvous... I cant seem to get enough of this stuff!!

I totally agree. I had some neighbors over Friday night they were all hooked. Most didn't even know what a rye whiskey was.

tmckenzie
09-24-2012, 04:01
Thanks to another member, last night some Overholt distilled in PA. Interesting stuff. Damn sure better than current Beam make. We had an engineer in here Friday working with us on a new still and he worked for Beam for a long time, and had some interesting thoughts on why all their stuff is not as good as it once was. This week, I plan to tap into 3 year old rye from our stocks.

White Dog
09-24-2012, 07:01
Thanks to another member, last night some Overholt distilled in PA. Interesting stuff. Damn sure better than current Beam make. We had an engineer in here Friday working with us on a new still and he worked for Beam for a long time, and had some interesting thoughts on why all their stuff is not as good as it once was. This week, I plan to tap into 3 year old rye from our stocks.

What were his thoughts?

WAINWRIGHT
09-26-2012, 18:00
Technically Canadian sourced but received a bottle of Whistlepig from my wife for our anniversary last night.I have to admit I give kudos to her for her selection,I think I married the right woman some 13 years ago.

michaelturtle1
09-26-2012, 20:49
Finishing off the last couple pours of Knob Creek Rye...still considering if it is worth replacing or not... The wife is enjoying WT 101 Rye and reminding me that 3 bottles in the bunker might not be enough

weller_tex
09-27-2012, 06:28
James E. Pepper Rye..another LDI sourced rye but bottled at 50% ABV. Better than Bulleit Rye, and although I hate to say it, slightly better than either of the Willett Ryes I have had.

darylld911
09-27-2012, 15:57
Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are :p

ebo
09-27-2012, 17:02
Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are :p

That is the kindest comment I've read on the 81. :lol:

darylld911
09-27-2012, 17:59
That is the kindest comment I've read on the 81. :lol:

:lol: At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)

michaelturtle1
09-27-2012, 18:24
Opened a Saz 18 tonight... Darn tasty Rye and am very happy I was able to procure 2 bottles when I had the chance

ebo
09-28-2012, 07:51
Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)

You definitely want to get a bottle of 101 if you can find one. It's no contest between the two, trust me.

smokinjoe
09-28-2012, 07:57
:lol: At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

It's here! Stop on by! :D

AaronWF
09-28-2012, 11:11

Of course it's fair! Why does WT get a pass on comparing its newest product to the other ryes out there? Seriously, what are you talking about? And why should you not expect much from an 81pf whiskey? Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks (apparently, I haven't tasted it myself). Then it sucks quadruply for replacing the nicely done, well priced WTR101.

Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.

darylld911
09-28-2012, 17:45
Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.

I also prefer higher proof whiskey (as I said, I bought this one by accident). I can't say I wasn't disappointed, but I wouldn't compare Old Rip 90 to GTS - while I think both are excellent for what they are. What I meant was more along the lines of "If I wanted a weak 81 proof rye, this would probably line up to those expectations".

I've thrown bottles away (or left them on a table with a note "Free to any home") that I just couldn't stand to drink (like Watkins Select), but I didn't think this was that bad. I would categorize this as "drinkable", but not something I'd buy again. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more tastes though.

Joe - I see someone caught my shameless hint!! I'll definitely try some at the next meetup! :grin:

Smithford
09-28-2012, 21:18
Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks.
Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.

darylld911
09-29-2012, 05:26
Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.

I'm not sure - I don't have any of those on-hand, although I may be able to pick up an airplane bottle of JBR. But I think you nailed it - every dram out there isn't meant to compete with every other dram. I think this WT81 is aimed at the market which prefers lower proof, smoother whiskey. Unfortunately, I'm not in that market - but like I said, I haven't dumped the bottle either. If an outfit like WT is producing it though, my guess is they've done some market research and believe there is a demand for it. Keep in mind - Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are the top two best selling American whiskeys, and I don't care much for either of those (I'd take #3 EWB anytime over those two). But that sort of reminds me that there is a huge market for what I would call "highly ordinary" whiskey.

WAINWRIGHT
09-29-2012, 19:27
Whistlepig after lunch today,wow this stuff is precariously drinkable to the point it may get me in trouble!It's so different from many of my other ryes, the 100% mashbill really seems to do it for me, I really enjoy the" prickly pear sweetness"in this rye

DeanSheen
09-30-2012, 08:48
I just killed another RITT BIB.

It's past time for me to start buying cases of the stuff..........

WAINWRIGHT
09-30-2012, 18:54
Willett "TPS Groundbreaker"high proof,4yr. this is vibrant and just a joy to drink for $32.

Tico
09-30-2012, 19:38
HW 16 and V21 tonight

LostBottle
09-30-2012, 22:20
High West 21 followed by some Scotch. Now that Fall is here, I will ease up on the rye a bit and give the Islay whiskys some love.

ChainWhip
09-30-2012, 22:33
Wild Turkey Rye 101 & High West 16

HighInTheMtns
10-01-2012, 19:00
Sazerac 18, although unfortunately not a 2012 edition yet.

DeanSheen
10-01-2012, 19:18
Saz Jr. Just popped a new one.

Now I'm down to one in the bunker.

JB64
10-01-2012, 23:52
WTR101 and Bulleit. I just picked up a 2012 saz 18 and a baby saz but haven't opened either yet.

Restaurant man
10-02-2012, 15:17
I just killed another RITT BIB.

It's past time for me to start buying cases of the stuff..........

Cracked a bottle last night. I'm gonna get serious about cleaning off shelves when I see this for like 20 bucks. No reason to avoid drinking this as an "everyday-er"

Brisko
10-02-2012, 21:21
Cracked a bottle last night. I'm gonna get serious about cleaning off shelves when I see this for like 20 bucks. No reason to avoid drinking this as an "everyday-er"
It's one of my everydays--having some right now. I started with some Baby Saz, down to the last pour or two of a very good bottle.

DeanSheen
10-03-2012, 18:23

That's the spirit! A fantastic every day pour.

T Comp
10-03-2012, 18:59

It's one of my everydays--having some right now. I started with some Baby Saz, down to the last pour or two of a very good bottle.

That's the spirit! A fantastic every day pour.

No disagreement on its drinkability but I can't help but pause more between purchases, at its current $23, and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11. Here is a link to a blog post by Chuck back in 8/2009 about the price creep on Ritt BIB http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-much-do-i-love-rittenhouse-rye-bib.html

Brisko
10-03-2012, 19:44
Point taken, but it's arguably better whiskey than, say, HH gold label BiB or Mellow Corn (both also everyday pours in my house), and definitely better than the current Fitz. But heaven only knows how fast it would disappear if if were under $15 a bottle.

Restaurant man
10-03-2012, 20:28
No disagreement on its drinkability but I can't help but pause more between purchases, at its current $23, and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11. Here is a link to a blog post by Chuck back in 8/2009 about the price creep on Ritt BIB http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-much-do-i-love-rittenhouse-rye-bib.html

They've maxed out the price as businesses often do, especially when there are shortages. Dsp 1 ritt should be right around the corner if they drop it at 4 years. My guess is there will be plenty around. But will it be any good?

DeanSheen
10-04-2012, 09:11
"and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11."

Four years ago a SB Member helped me out and procured 3 for me at that price. That was how it all got started between me and RITT. I have watched the price creep and have no problem with it at $20. How much more I will bear is a question I can't answer right now. If it sticks around $20 it will continue to be a staple.

I'm very fond of the $20 - $30 pricepoint. It nice just to drink and not think about price, makes it even more enjoyable in the long run.

ethangsmith
10-04-2012, 14:45
Pikesville! Best (and cheapest) 80 proof rye on the market!

Phil T
10-04-2012, 15:37
I finally cracked a Willett 3yr that I bought back in January. I have had several 4&5yr Willett's and found them quite enjoyable. However, this one is thin and tastes young.

ethangsmith
10-04-2012, 17:46

I'm still pickin the 81 rye apart. I've been comparing it to the Pikesville and Overholt ryes since they are all ~80pf and 3-5yo. This may sound strange, but it seems as if the WT 81 rye is not even 3 years old. It has such a young flavor that it seems like it's only 1-2 years old, though that's not possible since it is labeled as 4-5yo. I can't quite identify what makes it taste the way it does, but it must be the combination of barrel, age, and yeast that makes it taste so young and grainy. It's not like any of the other WT products that certainly come from a heavily charred barrel and have several years of good aging behind them. Maybe some day I'll come around to it. Until then, I'll nurse my 16 bottles of 101 rye......

White Dog
10-04-2012, 19:19
Pikesville! Best (and cheapest) 80 proof rye on the market!

Spoken like someone who has never tried Fleischmann's Rye. $18.99 a handle.:grin:

Young Blacksmith
10-05-2012, 06:10
Spoken like someone who has never tried Fleischmann's Rye. $18.99 a handle.:grin:

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a case down here. I saw Fleischmann's brandy yesterday, and I may inquire. Or I may just have to load up the van again!

michaelturtle1
10-05-2012, 20:32
Baby Saz, WTR 101, and finishing off with a bit of 6 yr Willetts

ethangsmith
10-06-2012, 12:08

Never had the Fleischmann's Rye. If you look hard enough down in Maryland, you can get handles of Pikesville for the same price. What aged and proof is the Fleischmann's and who is the distiller? I don't know much about this rye.

White Dog
10-06-2012, 15:27
Never had the Fleischmann's Rye. If you look hard enough down in Maryland, you can get handles of Pikesville for the same price. What aged and proof is the Fleischmann's and who is the distiller? I don't know much about this rye.

It's an NAS distilled by Barton and only shipped to northern WI. A strange arrangement, but a great, cheap Rye. I like Pikesville, but I do prefer Fleischmann's as it tastes a bit older. And it's 80, but it drinks like an 86.

michaelturtle1
10-06-2012, 20:03
Opened a PA distilled Overholt... It is a really interesting pour

unclebunk
10-07-2012, 06:58
It's an NAS distilled by Barton and only shipped to northern WI. A strange arrangement, but a great, cheap Rye. I like Pikesville, but I do prefer Fleischmann's as it tastes a bit older. And it's 80, but it drinks like an 86.

Always good to find a bottle of Fleishmann's in the WI wild. Smooth, easy drinkin' and dirt cheap!

ChainWhip
10-07-2012, 22:07
Enjoying some High West 21 on T's home turf in Utah tonight.

z327
10-08-2012, 12:45
Finished off my bottle of WT 101 Rye. I really like the higher proof.

Tico
10-21-2012, 21:22
HW 16 and V 21

gotta give the nod to the HW tonight. A bit smoother and founder in the mouth, the V21 seemed to havea bit more wood astringency than what I remember.

Frodo
10-22-2012, 03:28
Alberta Premium 30. Love this...

peb
10-22-2012, 04:39
Last night I had a pour of HW Double Rye and followed that up with Ritt BiB. I preferred the HW to the Ritt, and it wasn't close.

This is only the second bottle of Ritt I have had; the first was fantastic, I got a lot of rum-like notes out of it. This current bottle of Ritt has a definite 'earthy' taste that I have only ever experienced in a bottle of Hancock's Presidential Reserve. It seriously tastes like fresh dirt. Has anyone else ever got that kind of taste out of Ritt? Did I just get an off bottle? I am hoping a little air and time in the bottle helps this one out.

unclebunk
10-22-2012, 05:44
Somebody gifted me a bottle of Templeton over the weekend. Meh.

tanstaafl2
10-22-2012, 07:27
First try of the CEHT Rye. Compared it to WhistlePig. Definitely different but nice in its own way. Was specifically trying to judge the "thinness" described by others with regard to high rye whiskey. I agree that it had less mouthfeel then something like baby Saz or a typical low rye bourbon but it didn't really impact my enjoyment. I thought both the CEHT and the WP were similarly "thin" though. Maybe the WP had slightly more body to it but not dramamtically so. Given they are roughly the same price but the CEHT is presumably younger I thought it stood up well to the WP but would give the WP the edge.

Brisko
10-22-2012, 08:30
Last night I had a pour of HW Double Rye and followed that up with Ritt BiB. I preferred the HW to the Ritt, and it wasn't close.

This is only the second bottle of Ritt I have had; the first was fantastic, I got a lot of rum-like notes out of it. This current bottle of Ritt has a definite 'earthy' taste that I have only ever experienced in a bottle of Hancock's Presidential Reserve. It seriously tastes like fresh dirt. Has anyone else ever got that kind of taste out of Ritt? Did I just get an off bottle? I am hoping a little air and time in the bottle helps this one out.

My last couple of bottles have been a little earthy but not enough to put me off.
I had a nice big pour of Ritt last night with a splash of Willet 5 year in it and it was great.

Rutherford
10-22-2012, 08:45
Pulled out my bottle of Bulleit over the weekend. I'm always pleasantly surprised just how much this has in it for a NAS (probably 4 year) 90 proof sub-$25 whiskey.

michaelturtle1
10-22-2012, 09:20
Polished off a bottle of WTRye 101 and opened a Vintage 21 rye

peb
10-22-2012, 10:03
My last couple of bottles have been a little earthy but not enough to put me off.
I had a nice big pour of Ritt last night with a splash of Willet 5 year in it and it was great.

Thanks for the reply; I haven't gone through enough Ritt to really get a feel for the profile. I am going to stick with it though. The Hancock's got better with time open; maybe this will be the same. I will give it a few weeks and then revisit it.

Brisko
10-22-2012, 13:33
I should note that all of the Rittenhouse I am seeing is stock that was contract distilled at Brown Forman (DSP 354). The "homegrown" DSP-1 stuff should be out soon, I would think, and it's likely it may be somewhat different than the current.

RWBadley
10-23-2012, 11:17

The Ritt seems to be all over the place flavorwise... I had one that was total oranges, another that was more bourbon vanilla, and another that had a lot of cherry going on. I'm afraid to buy the stuff any more cuz I never know which Ritt is going to show up. Tho it all has been drinkable, only one I really liked enough to think about getting again, and I'm afraid that batch is long gone :rolleyes:

Gillman
10-23-2012, 16:57
I view the changes as something interesting though, and doesn't it attest to an artisan-like product, a one-of-a-kind? Production is probably too small to ensure a consistent profile.

I certainly understand the desire to encounter something you really liked again though.

Gary

White Dog
10-23-2012, 18:30
It takes an optimist like Gary to call RittBIB an artisanal product. (I mean this as a compliment.)

petrel800
10-24-2012, 19:13
Ritt BIB.

Feel like Eddie from Griswalds family vacation . . . I don't know why they call this stuff a mixer, it does just fine by itself.

kyrocklover
10-25-2012, 19:39
Revisiting Jefferson's 10 YO rye after being open for about two months. This has opened up nicely with less mint and more vanilla or caramel and a much thicker feel on the palate.

ratcheer
10-28-2012, 06:56
Last night, while watching Game 3 of the World Series, I had a shot of Bulleit Rye. I could easily get used to that. I am looking forward to the new George Dickel Rye, which is the same whiskey, but "charcoal mellowed".

Tim

WAINWRIGHT
10-28-2012, 15:26
Had some Willett 4yr and a couple of pours of Whistlepig,that stuff will never cease to amaze me.:bigeyes:

michaelturtle1
10-28-2012, 17:48
Celebrating Sandy's arrival with pours of Saz18, Vintage Rye 21, and Ritt 25

Lazer
10-28-2012, 18:12
Ritt BIB.

Feel like Eddie from Griswalds family vacation . . . I don't know why they call this stuff a mixer, it does just fine by itself.

The only ones i've seen calling it a mixer is the retailers. They have to. If they called it what it really is, the best rye that there is, they wouldn't be able to sell you another bottle of something more expensive IMHO. :cool:

LostBottle
10-30-2012, 15:42
Celebrating Sandy's arrival with pours of Saz18, Vintage Rye 21, and Ritt 25

That is a damn fine selections of whiskeys!

WAINWRIGHT
10-30-2012, 19:00
Ritt BIB haven't visited this bottled in quite some time and after this first pour wondering why.I hope the switch of DSP's doesn't effect this great value pour in a negative way.

Brisko
10-30-2012, 20:44
It's a day ending in "Y" so I'm having a nice pour of Rittenhouse, too.

ethangsmith
10-31-2012, 18:24
Opened a PA distilled Overholt... It is a really interesting pour

Which distillery in PA and what age and proof? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

BFerguson
10-31-2012, 18:35
Willett 5yr. The 4/5yr products are by far the best LDI/MGP products out there.

B

michaelturtle1
10-31-2012, 19:01
Which distillery in PA and what age and proof? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

I wish i could find which distillery, bottle states distilled in PA but all my research tells me it is an ND product distilled in Kentucky.. Guess i have to dig a bit more. It is 86 proof and it is the smoothest rye i have ever drank, my only problem is that i dont have enough of it in the bunker

LostBottle
10-31-2012, 19:47
I have yet to post in this thread. I will make up for that with a little rEye candy; all open/soon to be open.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/elttob/SomeRye.jpg

Tico
10-31-2012, 20:16
Nice selection lost. Not a bad one in that bunch, although I've had mixed results with the BMH ryes.

Young Blacksmith
10-31-2012, 20:21
Stephen Foster rye after a few standard 4R1B. Great nightcap, glad I picked up a liter!

LostBottle
11-02-2012, 00:21
Nice selection lost. Not a bad one in that bunch, although I've had mixed results with the BMH ryes.

Thanks. Regarding the BMH ryes, are you talking specifically about the 18? If so, I agree it could have been better. The 23 is probably my favorite American whiskey, though I can definitley see where it may be too dry for some. This open bottle is from Cask No 1. I have a No 7 and a No 9 bunkered and will be curious to see how much variation there is - I am hopeful they are equally as good.

OscarV
11-02-2012, 13:35
A pour of Vintage Rye 23yo, neat.
I think I will go to the Vintage Bourbon 17yo next.

Tucker
11-04-2012, 12:42
Just finished the last pour from a bottle of Baby Saz while watching my Bengals. Love the Baby Saz. Not sure why I still follow the Bengals, though. 46 year old habits are hard to break.

Tico
11-04-2012, 14:45
Thanks. Regarding the BMH ryes, are you talking specifically about the 18? If so, I agree it could have been better. The 23 is probably my favorite American whiskey, though I can definitley see where it may be too dry for some. This open bottle is from Cask No 1. I have a No 7 and a No 9 bunkered and will be curious to see how much variation there is - I am hopeful they are equally as good.
yeah, you pretty much nailed it for me. I think the 18 lacked a bit of depth when compared to others in this range (saz18 & HW16). The 23 did seem a touch woody but in the end I wouldn't kick either out of bed!

MyOldKyDram
11-04-2012, 18:00
Lil pours of Bulleit, Ritt BiB, WT 101, and Rendezvous. Flip that list and you'd have my order of preference.

smokinjoe
11-04-2012, 18:19
Threw some TH Handy into some apple cider, over crushed ice, with a wedge of apple...and it's oh, so good...:yum: Now, it's just Handy, neat...

Ejmharris
11-04-2012, 18:51
Enjoyed some heavy pours of the Willett TPS ground breaker rye tonight with me neighbor. This will be one I wished I had stocked up on a little more.

michaelturtle1
11-06-2012, 16:18
6 yr Willet, THHandy, Vintage 21 Rye

jersey12
11-06-2012, 19:44
Baby Saz while watching the election results come in.

The Boozer
11-06-2012, 20:48
Enjoying a little Ritt BiB. First nip in a couple of weeks. Love this and excited that it has finally made it on the Michigan list. Now we just have to get some shipments in.

Luna56
11-06-2012, 22:46
I posted in this elsewhere, but tonight it's a very fat pour of this year's Handy. Enjoying it very much.

Cheers!

LostBottle
11-07-2012, 11:01
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/elttob/HirschRyeFlight.jpg

Last night I had the opportunity to get together with fellow member and rye lover Chris24 and do some voting of a different kind. We combined collections and put together a flight of the Hirsch Rye Whiskeys. We tasted through the 21, 22, and 25-year expressions, which yielded some unexpected results:

The Hirsch 21 is a smooth-drinking rye…almost too smooth. It seemed much closer to a bourbon profile than any of the others in that it lacked that creeping rye spice I typically prefer. Unsurprisingly, the youngest of the three had the least amount of wood on the palate and finish and when compared to the 22, showed much less barrel influence than a one-year difference would typically yield. The finish was very nice, though a bit subtle compared to the others. The 21 is a very good whiskey and a very enjoyable sipper, but it did not stand out in a way I typically look for in a stellar ultra-aged rye. In fact, I think I still prefer the rye and baking spice of the lower-priced and easier to find Vintage 21.

Black Maple Hill 23 is my favorite whiskey; it has a very distinct profile that I absolutely love. It was immediately recognizable to me that that the Hirsch 22 and the BMH23 came from the same source. The nose of the 22 was full and rich, bringing out some subtle spiciness and dark fruit that the 21 lacked. The palate was outstanding - nice brown sugar notes, a distinct black cherry note hanging out in the background, and the always welcome rye spice. This whiskey also had a lot of wood influence, but in a good way that brings depth to the equation while not overpowering the other flavors. The finish was very nice with a deep exhale bringing out more of the black cherry and rye notes. While the BMH23 is superior due to being a bit smoother and richer, the Hirsch 22 shares many similarities and is very good.

Having tried the Hirsch 25 before, I found it a difficult whiskey to come to grips with; last night was no different. This is a dark, thick, chewy beast that shows a lot of barrel influence after 25 years. The wood really is at the forefront while the extra age mellows some of the rye spiciness. Overall, I think I prefer the vibrancy the other two expressions had.

During this tasting, it was immediately obvious to both of us that the 22 is definitely not the 21 with an extra year on it. The profiles of these two whiskeys were not even ballpark. It is obviously unknown where these whiskeys came from, but I do not think they could have possibly originated from the same set of barrels.

Overall, I found the Hirsch 22 to be the best of the three. I placed the 21 in second for its smooth, easy drinking character. As for the 25, it still seems a bit heavy and old for my tastes. Overall, a great night and I feel lucky to have tried all of these in one sitting.

White Dog
11-08-2012, 08:16
Thanks for the notes, LostBottle! Great line-up! And I agree with you preferring the 22yr over the 25, but I still dig the 25 on it's own terms.

Tico
11-08-2012, 08:35
Awesome notes lost, thanks for the report!

Gillman
11-08-2012, 09:59
Excellent notes for sure, many thanks for this. (It would be great to see more comparative reviews like this, for whiskeys in general but especially dusties).

Gary

MauiSon
11-08-2012, 11:43
I appreciate that you threw in a shout-out for VR21, since that's something I have bunkered.

WAINWRIGHT
11-08-2012, 19:08
Enjoyed some heavy pours of the Willett TPS ground breaker rye tonight with me neighbor. This will be one I wished I had stocked up on a little more.
I agree two fold,this is what a raw in your face rye is all about bold and delicious.I think a couple bold pours are definitely in order for this evening!

michaelturtle1
11-09-2012, 18:25
Opened my VWFRR tonight, really good stuff. Very similar to V21

Tico
11-09-2012, 19:02
Opened my VWFRR tonight, really good stuff. Very similar to V21
Interesting obobservation. While I found the two to be kinda similar in flavor profile the VWFRR seem much more creamy and bourbon sweet like than the v21.

Always cool to get different data points!

yountvillewjs
11-09-2012, 19:20
Interesting obobservation. While I found the two to be kinda similar in flavor profile the VWFRR seem much more creamy and bourbon sweet like than the v21.

Tico -- you ever open one of your Ritt 25's?

Tico
11-09-2012, 21:01
Tico -- you ever open one of your Ritt 25's?
Nope, I've got it hanging around for a rainy day

michaelturtle1
11-10-2012, 09:34

The finish and mouth feel of the VWFRR is way creamier and fuller than the V21, the rye punch that I get from them is very similar. Both are excellent rye whiskeys, I would have to say I like the VW a bit more but I have only had a small pour of it

I just opened a bottle of Ritt 25 a couple of weeks ago and it is very woody, not that it isn't tasty it just has a big dose of wood in both the nose and taste. I know a couple store that have a few bottles of Ritt 21 and 23 and am very curious to see the differences in the 3

LostBottle
11-10-2012, 10:39
The finish and mouth feel of the VWFRR is way creamier and fuller than the V21, the rye punch that I get from them is very similar. Both are excellent rye whiskeys, I would have to say I like the VW a bit more but I have only had a small pour of it

I just opened a bottle of Ritt 25 a couple of weeks ago and it is very woody, not that it isn't tasty it just has a big dose of wood in both the nose and taste. I know a couple store that have a few bottles of Ritt 21 and 23 and am very curious to see the differences in the 3

In my opinion, pass on the 23 in favor of cleaning out their stash of 21. As stellar as the 21 is, the 23 is just bad. In fact, I bet you would find the 23 to be more tannic and less balanced than the 25.

michaelturtle1
11-10-2012, 15:30
In my opinion, pass on the 23 in favor of cleaning out their stash of 21. As stellar as the 21 is, the 23 is just bad. In fact, I bet you would find the 23 to be more tannic and less balanced than the 25.

I will keep that in mind, my plan has been to buy both so I can taste all 3 at the same time but the reviews on the 23 are consistently bad so I might just skip it.

LostBottle
11-11-2012, 16:27
Wild Turkey Rye. 101 proof, not that 81 business - according to WT I must not like my rye "smooth" nor "bold".

WAINWRIGHT
11-11-2012, 17:36
A solid pour of VWFRR after the Binny's extravaganza last evening to cap the night off,what a perfect way to end an already stellar day!Thanks to another most generous member,thanks again Gary.

michaelturtle1
11-11-2012, 18:05
Having another small pour of VWFRR, this bottle is going way too fast, I better padlock the bottle I have in the bunker

ChainWhip
11-12-2012, 22:36
Drinking some 2012 Saz18 & THH tonight.

The Saz18 is easy drinking and this bottle is going fast... not as sweet as the nose suggests but not very spicy for a rye either - I get a little citrus but it wisps in and out for me. The THH on the other hand socks you in the mouth with spiciness but there's also a grainy-taste (akin to taking a big whiff after opening up a new box of oatmeal) in the palette for me.

I probably need to let these bottles sit for a bit longer, but as of right now, I prefer the Saz18.

Kalessin
11-13-2012, 18:51
Wild Turkey Rye. 101 proof, not that 81 business - according to WT I must not like my rye "smooth" nor "bold".

I do kind of wonder about the sales results they're getting -- are the numbers great, good, soft or awful? How about results compared to projections? Is this a project/brand/product manager's victory or defeat? (And if it's a defeat, are they too powerful and/or connected to suffer the consequences of a poor business decision?)

I'm really hoping they return to the 101 rye. It sold steadily enough to keep producing it, and it was a good product. My seat-of-the-pants impression is that the 81 just isn't selling.

darylld911
11-16-2012, 14:41
Ironically, having a pour of WT 81 rye because I wasn't @#$%^ paying attention when I bought it (thought I had stumbled upon a WT 101 rye). It isn't "bad", but it is sort of like drinking watered-down lite beer vs real beer. Actually reminds me more of scotch than rye whiskey for some reason. I think this is my second pour from the bottle, and seriously thinking of dumping it just to make room for something else.

LostBottle
11-16-2012, 18:41
I opened a 2012 Sazerac 18 and it's as stellar as any of the other years. I am getting a lot of anise on the front of the palate which I am enjoying quite a bit - I am not sure if the other years had this much licorice taste up front, so I will crack a 2009 or 2010 before this one is empty and do a direct comparison. Could be a temporary palate thing too though. On a side note, I have found eating peanut butter before sipping rye is an awesome combination and really brings out the flavor in the older whiskeys, kind of the exact opposite of a spicy meal.

Brisko
11-16-2012, 19:07
Just had a quick sample snort of Jefferson's 10. Survey says: better go back for another bottle!

smokinjoe
11-16-2012, 19:30
Every pour, of every Handy, of every year, on every night, has been just like the pour I am sipping on now...mind-numbing spectacularness! My Goodness, what a treat. But, it even gets better for me later...I glimpsed down at the last 1-1/2" left in this bottle, and there is a healthy layer of char coating the bottom of the bottle, just waiting for me...:yum:

michaelturtle1
11-21-2012, 15:59
Just cracked open a HW 16 and am thoroughly enjoying it... Too bad I only have 2 375's as this is some delicious Rye

Young Blacksmith
11-22-2012, 09:18
Some saz 18 last night. Spicy, dry, sweet, herby, all the things you look for in a classic rye!

squire
11-23-2012, 14:48
Just some garden variety Beam until my local get the holiday supplies in.

LostBottle
11-23-2012, 15:41
I had some VWFRR and V21 yesterday. I hate to break it to the suckers who stood in line for hours, but the V21 easily surpassed the Van Winkle - it was smoother and had more flavor.

MyOldKyDram
11-23-2012, 15:54
Never done a side by side, but just going by memory I'd put them on a fairly level playing field. My have to put that to the test soon.

LostBottle
11-23-2012, 18:03
Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.

smokinjoe
11-23-2012, 18:40
Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.

Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?

ChainWhip
11-23-2012, 19:20
My second try at THH tonight - I poured a dram and let it sit for 30-40 min (covered the glass) and its is much better the second time around.

I got the spices like last time but also noticed vanilla, freshly cut pine lumber, faint traces of bananas-foster... I like it but I think it still takes a back seat to Saz18.

LostBottle
11-23-2012, 19:32
Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?

I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.
/:soapbox:

tanstaafl2
11-23-2012, 20:12
I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.

Your local stores seem to have a better stock than mine. Never seen Vintage Rye on the shelf (or anywhere else) in the stores I frequent and it doesn't seem to be readily available at internet retailers that would ship to me, even if I was willing to pay the shipping cost on top of the cost of the bottle. I have at least seen the VWFRR (admittedly only once, at which point I promptly bought it) and I didn't even have to stand in line.

smokinjoe
11-23-2012, 20:12

Like I said, you could have said that, in your opinion, the V21 is better than the VWFRR. And, stopped there. If you have a problem with certain retailers distribution tactics, or if you want to take shots at the board members who wish to participate in these events, then that's for another thread.

p_elliott
11-24-2012, 07:43
I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.

LostBottle
11-24-2012, 08:48
I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.

Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.

TheOakMonster
11-24-2012, 12:07
Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.

Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff.

unclebunk
11-24-2012, 12:51
Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff. I agree...particularly after the ultra-bland Templeton Rye I've been drinking lately which was gifted to me for my birthday. I would never purchase this stuff for myself at its current price point.

grahampuba
11-25-2012, 13:18
Noticed the change in Templeton labeling. Newer blander stuff does not have the Batch/Barrel numbers on the back. Might have to squirrel away a few of the older if I can find them. Have had a few Templetons that were notable and a few that were unremarkable. One thing I have noticed is that if a good amount of Whiskey is on the docket for the evening, Templeton treats me pretty well the next morning.
Have to say the opposite for the other Delaware Phoenix Rye that I've been enjoying. Tastes young but I appreciate the uniqueness of the flavor, a little grassy and bright and really sings with a small amount of water as well. But man, two lowballs of that and I can tell the next day.

The Boozer
11-27-2012, 14:44
Enjoying a little Ritt BiB. First nip in a couple of weeks. Love this and excited that it has finally made it on the Michigan list. Now we just have to get some shipments in.

Don't mean to quote myself but today was able to pick up two bottles of Ritt BiB at a Michigan store!! Both bottles are DSP 354,

squire
11-27-2012, 15:11
Yellow label Beam.

ebo
11-28-2012, 15:17
Bulleit Rye. Been a while since I had a pour of this.

Phil T
11-28-2012, 17:29
Some Willett 5yr and some Baby Saz. Two totally different ryes, but both are really yummy .

squire
11-28-2012, 17:50
Still working on the Beam.

MauiSon
11-29-2012, 11:57
Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)

Brisko
11-29-2012, 13:04
Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)

Try vatting it about 1:1 or even 1:2 with Old Forester Signature. You might be pleasantly surprised.

HighInTheMtns
11-29-2012, 16:06
Seems like Old Overcoat is a reference to a bottle of whiskey in an old cartoon rather than a criticism of the juice, but my memory may be fuzzy. I think most people like OO alright.

I personally think OO is pretty good, definitely good for the price. I buy one now and then when I see them - not available here.

Kalessin
12-02-2012, 20:40
I remember references to "Old Overcoat" from when I was too young to understand what whiskey was except that my grandfather like having a glass of it with ice after dinner, and that it tasted really yucky!

I'm going to guess it was from Mad Magazine or some comic book or detective parody, circa 1968-72.

I should probably buy a bottle and try it, which I haven't done just yet. It's a cheap experiment, to be sure, and it can be found in nearly all liquor stores in Massachusetts.

camduncan
12-02-2012, 21:07

Couldn't agree more there Will... and my 'first try' bottle came from your way as well. It's down to about half now so I will probably have to replace it next year :)

MyOldKyDram
12-03-2012, 17:44
Day three of my whiskey advent calendar and it's Rendezvous Rye up to bat.

Ejmharris
12-03-2012, 18:03
Day three of my whiskey advent calendar and it's Rendezvous Rye up to bat.

Whiskey advent calendar, Genius!

squire
12-03-2012, 18:06
Yellow label Beam

ethangsmith
12-03-2012, 18:43
Got my hands on the new Pepper Rye. Pretty good but not a day over 2 years old for sure. For $25 a bottle and 100pf, it's got a home on my shelf as long as I can get it! Think Bulleit Rye with more youth and spice.

Also recently got a bottle of "baby" Saz. Seems younger than my last bottle, but still a very refreshing rye.

After taking stock of my ryes, I realized just how much I actually have:
Rittenhouse, Pikesville, Old Overholt, Knob Creek, Sazerac, Dad's Hat, Dad's Hat unaged, Delaware Phoenix unaged, Wild Turkey 101, Wild Turkey 81, Russell's Reserve, and Van Winkle Family Reserve. I have unopened bottles of Michter's and Hirsch 21 rye too.

MrAtomic
12-04-2012, 20:15
Drinking some "B" batch VWFRR. It may be a victim of my extremely high expectations, because this is typically one of my favorite American whiskies, but this bottle is falling a little flat. It's still enjoyable, but the finish isn't what I remember and overall it tastes more sour than spicy. Hmm... I think I have an older bottling somewhere. It'd be interesting to taste them blind and see if I'm off base or not.

WAINWRIGHT
12-04-2012, 20:23
A little Whistle Pig as the final pour of the night and I must say the 100% rye mashbill is really on key tonight.

oke&coke
12-05-2012, 01:02
Decided to revisit the VR21 tonight. Woody and heavy that almost dominates the rye but great when you want to chew your whiskey instead of drink it.

darylld911
12-05-2012, 16:45
A little Willett 4 yr that I haven't visited in a while.

Bourbon Boiler
12-05-2012, 16:50
Need to pick a good one to celebrate Prohibition Day. I'm leaning toward WT American Spirit.

awachatz
12-05-2012, 17:07
Some Rittenhouse BIB. Glad it has finally hit the shelves in Michigan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ChainWhip
12-05-2012, 21:12
Drinking some good ole American (Willett 5yr) Rye tonight in honor of Repeal Day

Phil T
12-06-2012, 16:22
It has over a year since I've seen Ritt BIB in the wild. Thanks to a tip from a fellow SBer, I checked out an online store that had free shipping. Their bourbon selection was just so so. But they did have Ritt for a reasonable price. Bingo!!

I'm enjoying a pour right now. If this ever goes away, there will be an uproar!!

z327
12-07-2012, 20:06
Rittenhouse 23 year old. First poor of this wonderful Rye. So smooth and spicy. Glad I found two bottles. Still have not cracked the 25 or the 21 since I only have one of each. I am celebrating the final lights going up on the house.

LostBottle
12-07-2012, 21:55
Crack open those other Ritts and do a flight!

Tico
12-07-2012, 22:12
Polished off a 375ml of HW16 than has been open for a few months. Great rye and up there in the top 5 for me.

c2walker
12-08-2012, 00:04
Polished off a 375ml of HW16 than has been open for a few months. Great rye and up there in the top 5 for me.

In terms of flavor profile, how does it compare to the heavy hitters in the category (i.e. VWFRR, Saz 18, V21, etc.)?

Tico
12-08-2012, 08:51
In terms of flavor profile, how does it compare to the heavy hitters in the category (i.e. VWFRR, Saz 18, V21, etc.)?
I'd say its in between VWFRR and V21s profile. It's got a hint of creaminess and roundness that is pleasant but not to the levels of VWFRR. True rye character that is super fresh and vibrant, better than saz18. V21 shows its age more and the HW 16 shows its youth when compared. HW16 is a good example of a middle road between VWFRR and V21.

LostBottle
12-08-2012, 14:42

I completely agree with this statement.

oke&coke
12-09-2012, 01:39
Cracked open a Michters SB Rye. Barrel #1258-11. Decent pour, well balanced. Not sure about a re-buy but worth it the first time around for me. The low proof does drop the grade on this bottle.

bad_scientist
12-09-2012, 05:09
I'd say its in between VWFRR and V21s profile. It's got a hint of creaminess and roundness that is pleasant but not to the levels of VWFRR. True rye character that is super fresh and vibrant, better than saz18. V21 shows its age more and the HW 16 shows its youth when compared. HW16 is a good example of a middle road between VWFRR and V21.

Hmm, my bottle (batch 6) is totally different from Saz 18 and V21. It's a lot like AaronWF described it, like a custardy minty bramble. I get some woody notes but nothing like the others, and a complete absence of sharp rye notes. I can't compare it to any other ryes.

squire
12-09-2012, 11:24
Still working on Beam yellow label

mosugoji64
12-10-2012, 08:58
Still working on Beam yellow label

Keep working. You'll eventually find the bottom and be able to move on. :grin:

LostBottle
12-10-2012, 20:40
A small sip of Hirsch 21 tonight. I am trying to hit this bottle infrequently until I can find another - 750ml is just not enough liquid!

michaelturtle1
12-10-2012, 20:51
A large pour of baby Saz and a bit of Jefferson 10 while resisting the urge to open the bottle of Hirsch 22 rye that UPS dropped off today

LostBottle
12-10-2012, 20:57
A large pour of baby Saz and a bit of Jefferson 10 while resisting the urge to open the bottle of Hirsch 22 rye that UPS dropped off today

Ha, you one upped me! In a vertical tasting of Hirsch Rye a couple of us did, the 22 was the clear winner. Nice score, Michael.

michaelturtle1
12-10-2012, 21:00
That was the post that inspired my "need" to try it... Also have the 20 yr Canadian rye and the 21 yr on the way so not as impressive as your tasting but close

Tico
12-10-2012, 21:53
Crack that bad boy already, fresh off the truck! :cool:

RVTsteve
12-11-2012, 08:23

Glad to hear you got your hands on one, Michael. I still have yet to crack my bottle open. I'm thinking of opening it for a fun tasting with the HW21, and Ritt 23.

WAINWRIGHT
12-11-2012, 20:09
Willett 4yr. a nice bold change of pace from my usual wheated bourbon selections lately.

compliance
12-11-2012, 20:30
OK, I am interested in this Hirsch 22 now, since I've seen a bottle in the wilds at the dear price of $200+. I take it it's good. What's in it? Search on this forum brought up lots of info about older releases, but not so much on this one.

michaelturtle1
12-11-2012, 20:40
OK, I am interested in this Hirsch 22 now, since I've seen a bottle in the wilds at the dear price of $200+. I take it it's good. What's in it? Search on this forum brought up lots of info about older releases, but not so much on this one.

There is not a "new" release of Hirsch 22, the bottles are from 2005/06... And I believe it is rye from Bernheim which is where vintage 21/23 and VWFRR comes from

AaronWF
12-11-2012, 20:41

I do believe it is from the same stock as a component of VWFRR. I tasted some last week and it was delicious stuff. $200+ is A LOT to ask. I would only ever consider that if I happened to be flush and didn't already spend the money on something else.

squire
12-11-2012, 20:54
For that amount of money I don't want to have to guess it's provenance. The face the NDP isn't saying says a lot.

compliance
12-11-2012, 21:00
Didn't realize the release was that old. What was the original MSRP?

michaelturtle1
12-11-2012, 21:02
In all the threads I have read the price ranges from $110-$150

And to get the thread back on track I am doing my best to polish off the last few pours of my baby Saz

Tico
12-11-2012, 21:07
Didn't realize the release was that old. What was the original MSRP?
Prices I've seen around here are in the $125 range

this reminds me that I need to pick up some more of the 22 that I passed up a week or so ago at a local store :cool:

LostBottle
12-11-2012, 21:22
I do believe it is from the same stock as a component of VWFRR. I tasted some last week and it was delicious stuff. $200+ is A LOT to ask. I would only ever consider that if I happened to be flush and didn't already spend the money on something else.

It definitely came from the same stock as the BMH23, but where did that come from? Regarding price, $200 is not just a lot, it is gouging.

michaelturtle1
12-11-2012, 21:29
In an older post Cowdery states that It is from the Bernheim/COK stocks which is part of VWFRR

compliance
12-12-2012, 19:40
I did some reconnaissance on that Hirsch 22. They have 2 bottles. I was wrong about the price, it's only $165 :(. I'm going to have to think about it.

Tico
12-12-2012, 19:44
I did some reconnaissance on that Hirsch 22. They have 2 bottles. I was wrong about the price, it's only $165 :(. I'm going to have to think about it.
Don't think, buy!

White Dog
12-14-2012, 08:18

If you can afford it, do it. You'll regret it if you don't grab them.

ChainWhip
12-14-2012, 23:27
Saz18 '12 - the nose is just fabulous! I'm loving this bottle more with every pour.

squire
12-15-2012, 11:07
Saz 18 is right up there with the best.

squire
12-15-2012, 11:20
Only $165 comp? Lets see, for that amount I can have one bottle of NDP whisky or a case of BIB Barton, hmm, let me think . . .

LostBottle
12-16-2012, 10:41
Only $165 comp? Lets see, for that amount I can have one bottle of NDP whisky or a case of BIB Barton, hmm, let me think . . .

In quality vs quantity, I'll take quality every time.

squire
12-16-2012, 13:02
Presupposes the NDP stuff is higher quality than Barton.

MyOldKyDram
12-16-2012, 18:34
Sitting back with some Vintage 21.

squire
12-18-2012, 13:58
Yellow label Beam.

KySalesRep
12-18-2012, 15:17
HW Rendezvous, Vintage 21, Ritt BiB

ChainWhip
12-18-2012, 15:24
I absolutely love that Rendezvous!

KySalesRep
12-18-2012, 16:28
I agree, the Rendezvous is excellent stuff, but I am also really liking this Ritt BiB, as this is the first time I have tried it. May have to pick up some more!

LostBottle
12-18-2012, 17:53
Yeah, Rendezvous is a an outstanding whiskey. When you stop and look at other bottles on the market, it becomes clear that the quality/price ratio of Rendezvous is also great.

MauiSon
12-18-2012, 19:04
Cracked open a WTR101 - I'm liking the similarity to WT101. I miss the earthiness of Ritt100, but picking up some leather that I've only tasted in a dusty Mattingly & Moore before.

bad_scientist
12-18-2012, 19:14
Yeah, Rendezvous is a an outstanding whiskey. When you stop and look at other bottles on the market, it becomes clear that the quality/price ratio of Rendezvous is also great.

Will, it's an even better value when you compare it to the HW16 and notice how much of that is part of the overall profile of the Rendezvous. I don't recall you posting on it, but I'm sure you've had the 16 year, considering your epic rye tastings of late :)

p_elliott
12-19-2012, 09:32
Yellow label Beam.

That bottle will not die :smiley_acbt::grin:

squire
12-19-2012, 12:46
Working on it Paul.

White Dog
12-19-2012, 16:27
Coming into x-mas I always start drinking more of the VWFRR that I hoard, as I'm doing tonite.

matthewdc
12-19-2012, 18:44
I'm working on a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Rye 5 YO, which I've really enjoyed.

BourbonMemphis
12-19-2012, 18:56
Baby Saz with Saz 18 on deck.

BFerguson
12-19-2012, 19:07
CEHT Rye tonight. I really like this nearly all rye over some of the others-Jefferson's, Masterson's, Whistlepig, etc....

Worth the every penny-Yes it does take a few to get this one.

B

squire
12-19-2012, 22:40
Beam yellow label.

Ejmharris
12-20-2012, 05:23
Beam yellow label.

The energizer bunny bottle. :).

Mike

BFerguson
12-20-2012, 20:04
Going back to a favorite tonight. Willett 4yr Rye. Tasty stuff!!

Will probably need a followup to this, as my mom just dropped the bomb that her and my dad, along with my sister and her boyfriend, and their dog, are coming Monday for the holidays. I knew she was coming just not as early as Monday, and not with the rest of the gang!! Going to be a crowded house next week!

B

Ejmharris
12-20-2012, 20:33
Going back to a favorite tonight. Willett 4yr Rye. Tasty stuff!!

Will probably need a followup to this, as my mom just dropped the bomb that her and my dad, along with my sister and her boyfriend, and their dog, are coming Monday for the holidays. I knew she was coming just not as early as Monday, and not with the rest of the gang!! Going to be a crowded house next week!

B

Brent , sounds like time for some barrel proof!

Mike

emr454
12-21-2012, 13:14
Been enjoying some Redemption Rye the last couple days. For all the bashing it's gotten, I really enjoy it. It's an easy drinking rye, almost too easy. It's a good whiskey to drink when you don't want to put a lot of thought into your drink and just enjoy it. Not sure if I would go out of my way to get more however, because I can get Ritt BIB for $2 cheaper. I do like the minty nose and taste of the LDI 95% rye mashbill, but I'd much rather spend the extra $12 bucks to get Bulleit Rye. The Redemption would be better priced at sub $20 IMHO.

Phil T
12-21-2012, 13:51
It was definitely a brass monkey alert today in west central Ohio. And I work outside for a living, not a pleasant day.

So I've decided to warm my cockles, not with Sam Adams, but with some TPS 5yr old Willett

squire
12-21-2012, 14:34
Think I'll treat myself to some rye tonight and the selection is . . . wait for it . . . Beam yellow label.

Phil T
12-21-2012, 14:49
Think I'll treat myself to some rye tonight and the selection is . . . wait for it . . . Beam yellow label.

Its not a bad thing to go outside your comfort zone squire ..!!!

kyrocklover
12-21-2012, 16:43
WT 101 for me tonight.

WAINWRIGHT
12-25-2012, 20:52
Took a bottle of Baby Saz to Christmas today and had multiple family members try it,thumbs up from all sides.Most of my family are Canadian or Scotch drinkers and general consensus was they really enjoyed the floral element and that it was a very easy going rye.

z327
12-26-2012, 06:14
Santa was good to me, so I had a couple pours of Saz 18 Christmas night. My first bottle of this amazing Rye. Top of my Rye list so far. Edging out the RH23 and the TH. Haven't ever found a Pappy Rye.

HighHorse
12-26-2012, 06:16
Santa was good to me, so I had a couple pours of Saz 18 Christmas night. My first bottle of this amazing Rye. Top of my Rye list so far. Edging out the RH23 and the TH. Haven't ever found a Pappy Rye.

Now THATS a cool stocking!

KySalesRep
12-27-2012, 14:08
Having some HW Rendezvous and Ritt BiB.

MauiSon
12-27-2012, 17:55
Had a dram of WTR101 followed by the last pour of OO. That OO is mighty fine stuff - floral gum & pepper with an oak finish. Goes down easy and stays interesting thru the whole bottle. My favorite bottom shelf product (sub $15/750ml), so far. I hope that wasn't just an unusually good bottle. It certainly drained fast - less than a month, wow! Willett Rye (5 year) or Bulleit Rye next?

Hey Squire, how about a taste review of that Yellow label? It's almost $2/750ml more than OO here (on sale) - is it worth the extra?

squire
12-27-2012, 22:11
Apparently Santa ran out of Saz 18 by the time he got to my house.

MS I've reviewed the Yellow Label before, should be one buried in the archives here, if I can't find it I'll do another.

michaelturtle1
12-28-2012, 18:44
Cracked open a bottle of Hirsch 20 yr Canadian Rye, I will start by saying I have never had a Canadian whiskey before so the "style" is new to me and kind of odd in that the mouth feel is so light. It has a very nice Rye flavor and has a rather long spicy and hot finish but the mouth feel is just weird to me and is making it almost hard to enjoy...

squire
12-28-2012, 20:43
I'm not surprised Michael, this whisky was probably not intended as a sipping whisky on it's own, rather it was made to be a flavoring element in a blend of whiskies made with other grain recipes including corn which would add a more familiar mouth feel. Just because it's old and rye seems sufficient for it to be bottled and show up on retail shelves today with a hefty price tag.

michaelturtle1
12-28-2012, 21:14
I will file this under the category of interesting... For the $$ I have invested in it I find it a good learning experience not to mention it still drinks well, it is just really different in terms of mouth feel but still a very enjoyable pour

compliance
12-30-2012, 17:00
I haven't cracked it open yet, but I did end up liberating one of those Hirsch 22 ryes we talked about a few weeks ago from its liquor store prison. Never found any BTAC this year so I put the money towards this. (and of course, if I find that WLW I want I will still buy it. I just need to justify the cost of this bottle to myself somehow)

LostBottle
12-30-2012, 17:07
Nice score, Compliance. Believe me when I say that you did not "settle" for that Hirsch 22. It is far better than any of the BTAC, save for the Saz18, but that will be released again next year and the Hirsch won't. No need to justify, you chose well.

WAINWRIGHT
12-30-2012, 17:14
I haven't cracked it open yet, but I did end up liberating one of those Hirsch 22 ryes we talked about a few weeks ago from its liquor store prison. Never found any BTAC this year so I put the money towards this. (and of course, if I find that WLW I want I will still buy it. I just need to justify the cost of this bottle to myself somehow)
Max,glad to hear you went back and sealed the deal,you won't be disappointed.I've had the pleasure of both the 21 and 22yr,now enjoy the fruits of your bounty!:grin:

smokinjoe
12-30-2012, 18:04
Way to pull the trigger on that Hirsch, C. Not sure if it's "far better than any of the BTAC", as I've recently been schooled on that whole "subjective" thing on another rye thread...But, the point is you don't know until you try it!. And, I salute you for doing what SBer's do best..."Damn the torpedoes, and buy the damn thing!!" :D
:toast:

jburlowski
12-30-2012, 18:32
Been sampling George Dickel rye (45% ABV; no age statement)....

ROTT,
this is the best LDI/MGP rye I've tried. The Dickel charcoal filtering softens the mintiness typical of the LDI 95% ryes. IMO, this is a good thing. The result seems less one-dimensional and more well-rounded. Citrus notes are evident at mid-palate. Very easy and drinkable. At the $21.99 price it is certainly worth a try.

(Side Note: My bottle had the tightest #@!&} plastic "cork" I've ever encountered..... I was afraid it was going to break every time I wrestled it from the bottle.)

compliance
12-30-2012, 18:50
bunch of enablers in here :lol:

smokinjoe
12-30-2012, 19:30
bunch of enablers in here :lol:

If there is one thing we do well, it is that! :D

jersey12
12-30-2012, 19:34
Enjoyed a nice manhattan made with 4 yr old Willett tonight while pulling for the Redskins (purely for financials reasons). Am loving this rye in manhattans but find it rather harsh on its own when sipping neat.

squire
12-30-2012, 21:24
With Rye there are no enablers, only companions.